PDA

View Full Version : Have we played well yet this season??????

dougie_for_pm
03-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Just looking at our games played so far this season, and personally I have not actually seen us play well so far this season.

In theory we have a stronger squad than last season, and so comparing our performances this season to the bench mark of last season (i.e. spurs, arsenal, west brom, fulham etc at home),

personally i feel this season has been SH*T so far, and to be honest we are lucky to still be involved and not in a similar position to norwich.

Of the games i've attended (thinking of league only), the only truly decent performance that i have witnessed was QPR away. Ive been to every home game bar stoke, and don't think we've played particularly well in any of them. I didn't go to coventry away, but quess this must have been a pretty good performance too.

But we have been highly inconsistent and even in the games we have won, there has generally been a fair amount of sh*t dished up in the process.

The main difference i found with watching Sheff utd was their lack of unforced errors - they looked a pretty solid unit.

I just hope that we have a similar second half of the season as last ime we were in this division, but certainly wouldn't predict it.

So do people agree, and if so who do they blame??

Without mentioning any names, I feel that Kiraly, Borrowdale, Hall, Watson, and Soares have all underperformed of the regular starters.

Dowie seems very reluctant to mix things up -- Hall could deliberatly score 3 ogs and still be gauranteed a start the following week.

Ok - got it off my chest - what do people think???

TN16_Eagle
03-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by dougie_for_pm

Ok - got it off my chest - what do people think???

The quick answer is that we played well at Coventry. Brazil like at times. ;)

Neil the Eagle
03-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dougie_for_pm
Without mentioning any names, I feel that Kiraly, Borrowdale, Hall, Watson, and Soares have all underperformed of the regular starters.

That made me laugh.

OneSize
03-12-2005, 10:19 AM
We played well at coventry but only in spurts, for long periods we still let them dominate and gave away so many free kicks. Having said that though at times they couldnt deal with us and the goal ben watson scored probably wont be beaten in the remainder of the season.

BaldEagle96
03-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Every QPR fan I know still say we are the best team they have seen this season - and they have played Reading and Sheffield United already!

Barry
03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
Every QPR fan I know still say we are the best team they have seen this season - and they have played Reading and Sheffield United already!

Sheffield United and Reading fans says the same about us as well.

RDSdaEAGLE
03-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Barry
Sheffield United and Reading fans says the same about us as well.

Strange isn't it?

Do you reckon its because our performances have only improved for these games, or that our performances haven't always had the results they deserve and that our fans have far too high expectations?

Palaceboy222
03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Reading, Wolves, Norwich, Coventry (all away) we have played well IMHO

Sheffield United and liverpool home we have played well

however we have only picked up 2 wins out of those 6 games because of a mixture of poor defending and bad luck

limited_edition
03-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Do you reckon its because our performances have only improved for these games, or that our performances haven't always had the results they deserve and that our fans have far too high expectations? Our chairman created high expectations by putting his hand in his pocket to keep hold of AJ and buy more players. Then opening his gob.

I thought QPR was an excellent performance. We could have had 6 that night.

kolinkins
03-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Strange isn't it?

Do you reckon its because our performances have only improved for these games, or that our performances haven't always had the results they deserve and that our fans have far too high expectations?

Reminds me of Routledge last season. endless number of Palace fans moaning about him. Every opposition fan I know, or whose forums I visited was impressed by him.

cphagi
03-12-2005, 01:08 PM
We'll have a great 2nd hlaf of the season

glaziers fan
03-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Once Granville comes back I expect our defence to tighten up. Then it's just a case of how many goals we score at the other end.

MikeyDread
03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
I repeat Hall should be put of his misery and ours and laid to rest. Not sure now if it is a lack of confidence, ability or motivation.

BUT i have a lack of patience with the player :(

joe walker
03-12-2005, 06:03 PM
am i the only person on here to think that we were average against qpr?

i went that night, and thought other than reich's magic momentts we played like we have most of the season - good, but not to our full potential

PeterH
03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I am actually getting apathetic about looking for the latest result on the internet. I waited until the next day for the Boro result (and that was after knowing we were 1-0 up at half time) and I took my time looking for the Millwall result.

It seems to me (from far away) that we seem to be just treading water this season. The players do not seem to be bothered and the games seem to be dull.

It seems to me we have only played well twice or so this year if that.

It must be dreadful to watch. The whole lot of them need a kick up the
@rse.

Saying that we still have a great chance of making the play offs as the leagues most miedocre team. So here is hoping for better in the second half of the season.

Time for SJ to make it clear to ID. No excuses Play Offs or P45.

HHHH
03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
I am actually getting apathetic about looking for the latest result on the internet. I waited until the next day for the Boro result (and that was after knowing we were 1-0 up at half time) and I took my time looking for the Millwall result.

It seems to me (from far away) that we seem to be just treading water this season. The players do not seem to be bothered and the games seem to be dull.

It seems to me we have only played well twice or so this year if that.

It must be dreadful to watch. The whole lot of them need a kick up the
@rse.

Saying that we still have a great chance of making the play offs as the leagues most miedocre team. So here is hoping for better in the second half of the season.

Time for SJ to make it clear to ID. No excuses Play Offs or P45.

Hmmm

Ardent Eagle Forever
03-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Our only decent performance was at home v Liverpool. All our other home performances have been well below par.

Sitting at the game today, my wife said that she doesn't know why she keeps coming to 'watch this cr*p', and that she thinks she doesn't want to go to games next season.

sydnsteve
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Peter H, be pleased that you are so far away. I could hardly be bothered to cheer on Sat, as the goal stopped what would have been a completely deserved booing off the pitch.
It is just like when Francis was in charge, mediocre performances from a vastly underacheiving team. It is getting depressing to watch. First half on Sat we dominated without looking really threatening, but in the second half when we should have turned up the heat we simply failed to turn up.

Billyd
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Reading, Wolves, Norwich, Coventry (all away) we have played well IMHO

dunno about norwich and coventry, but no way did we play well against reading or wolves

Palace Eagle
05-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Personally, I don't think we've played well at all. I can't say too much about the away games because you can't just watching highlights, but going on home performances, we're merely an average Championship side, when really, we have one of, if not the best, squads in the division.

What ever happened to making your home ground a fortress? We don't pass the ball instead, we aim hopeless cross field and long balls to strikers who are never going to win anything in the air. Johnson, Freedman and Morrison are just not that type of player. Macken also, I don't recall him winning too many headers.

Why oh why can't we pass the ball well. Why? Because we have a shoddy midfield. Watson is awful. He can't make two yard passes. Every free kick or corner he has taken this year has either hit the first defender or been far too long. I don't recall scoring from a set piece he has taken. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Soares has the potential....but isn't fulfilling it in our team. Hughes on the left is a joke. Especially when we had a decent winger in kolkka and because Dowie is a child and had an arguement with him, he gets the boot. McAnuff is quality. Not quite the Routledge calibre, but still tricky, pacey and hard working.

Then there's the defence. Borrowdale...what a joke. Always out of position, no pace and Wardy can even see how sh*t he is. He always b*llocks him on the pitch.

Hall...so much potential...but never ever looks interested. Walkabout is his middle name and effort...nope, dunno what that word is. One cross field ball will hit its target and this seems enough to secure him a place week in week out.

Ward is quality. You can see why Millwall loved him so much and he was one of the best defenders in the league last year. This boy throws himself at everything. No doubt he'll be dropped when it should be Hall.

Boyce...love the guy. Pacey, attack minded but still defensively solid.

Macken - joke buy. lets buy another striker when really we need a midfielder. He doesn't look sharp or interested when out there.

Morrison - hard working and the goals have been flowing.

AJ - Legend. Morrison, Freedman and AJ would surely bang in a lot more if only we have a half decent midfield creating more chances for them.

As I say, only going on home performances, but I don't look forward to going anymore. I want to go and see good passing football. Even if we lose, at least we've played a good game. Hard work, slick passing, solid defending.

I think Neil McDonald has a lot to do with the way we play now. He seems to have a big input into things and personally, we played better football when Kit was around...maybe just a coincidence that the nice play stopped when Kit got relegated to reserves.

CP Satellite
05-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
dunno about norwich and coventry, but no way did we play well against reading or wolves

I make you wrong about Wolves away. Apart from a weak start, conceeding a goal to nearly Wolves first attack, Palace put on possibly the best display of passing football this season, thoroughly outplaying a decent Wolves team for large periods.

Palace only lost the match when Wolves put in a spirited finish (inspired by substitute George Ndah), which saw Hall heading a Cort header into his own net.

I'm pretty sure, defending apart (the mistakes have been a recurring theme right up to now) the football played that night was a blueprint for how Dowie would like to see Palace play all the time.

macstar
05-12-2005, 05:14 PM
only at QPR away.

AJ
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Just shows how utter crap this league is. If Palace can play poor, no crap for 90% of the games this season, yet still be 1 point off the playoffs with 2 games in hand, doesn't say much for the rest of them. No wonder the 2 best organised teams in the league, Reading and SU are running away with the top 2 spots.
It seems every team that get relegated from the premiership struggles for the first season, sometimes more, in recent years only WBA were able to bounce back, whereas, last season, 2 of the promoted teams, WHU and Sunderland took 2 seasons to get back in the top flight. Personally, I think if a team is relegated from the Prem, the best way back is to clear out a number of the players and bring in well seasoned and good performing Championship players.