PDA

View Full Version : Scoring

redandbluebarmy
26-01-2006, 10:40 AM
As last night proved! We need someone who can just put the ball away! Who is it?

sydnsteve
26-01-2006, 10:57 AM
AJ and Clint. Unfortunately AJ is not back to his best, and for some god alone knows what reason, Ian Dowie thinks that Macken is more likely to get goals than Clint. My hope is they both play vs Preston and show they should be first choice.

redandbluebarmy
26-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
AJ and Clint. Unfortunately AJ is not back to his best, and for some god alone knows what reason, Ian Dowie thinks that Macken is more likely to get goals than Clint. My hope is they both play vs Preston and show they should be first choice.

i see what your saying! But they are not clinical at this moment in time! And lets face it we need a clinical finisher at this late stage in the season!
ships would be doing the job!

BenCouchman
26-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by redandbluebarmy
i see what your saying! But they are not clinical at this moment in time! And lets face it we need a clinical finisher at this late stage in the season!
ships would be doing the job!

Are you seriously suggesting that we should have kept Shipperley and be playing him ahead of AJ???

:clown:

wedgetail
26-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Not Macken

Bens Jamin
26-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Sell AJ - Buy Earnshaw, Reid and Koumas, problem solved!

Kevan Woz Awful
26-01-2006, 11:20 AM
As last night proved! We need someone who can just put the ball away! Who is it?

In my view you are off the mark here. It's not the ability to score that's the problem it's supply.
Our midfield is collectively dreadful with no one able to hold the ball or make the killer pass that splits defences wide open and allow AJ or Clinton to do their job.
So inept are we in that department that we regularly resort to long balls over the midfield and even Thierry Henry would find himself suffering a goal drought in that situation.

Juggling our midfielders into the latest square peg formation doesn't help either, why we don't play people in their strongest positions - Soares middle, McAnuff wide left - and then fill in the gaps with whoever is left rather than play the whole lot out of position defies logic.

Kevan Woz Awful
26-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Bens Jamin

I think Koumas would be a fantastic addition, provided we can deal with his personal issues that made him so unpopular at WBA. We certainly don't need anyone upsetting the rest of the squad.

Yep, Koumas and Lazaridis will do us just fine in my view.

Bens Jamin
26-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Agree with you there Kevan, all we need is cover for EVERY position on the pitch, and that includes left backs and wingers!

IW_Eagle
26-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
In my view you are off the mark here. It's not the ability to score that's the problem it's supply.
Our midfield is collectively dreadful with no one able to hold the ball or make the killer pass that splits defences wide open and allow AJ or Clinton to do their job.
So inept are we in that department that we regularly resort to long balls over the midfield and even Thierry Henry would find himself suffering a goal drought in that situation.

Juggling our midfielders into the latest square peg formation doesn't help either, why we don't play people in their strongest positions - Soares middle, McAnuff wide left - and then fill in the gaps with whoever is left rather than play the whole lot out of position defies logic.

Spot On - Thread can be closed now... :lux:

macstar
26-01-2006, 11:53 AM

don't know whether your 'taking the p' with that comment or not, but...in a way....its not a bad shout. 8mill for AJ..get earny, koumas and ried for about 4mill and 4mill to spend in the summer.....

Sounds OK.

redandbluebarmy
26-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
Are you seriously suggesting that we should have kept Shipperley and be playing him ahead of AJ???

:clown:

You=AJ's butt monkey!

Where did i suggest this?

I was just stating that ships scored goals when they were most needed, often providing a winner in an other wise boring game. We dont have a player able to do that at the moment.

cpfc_spc1982
26-01-2006, 12:08 PM
on recent form, in fact this seasons 8 mil for aj we would be laughing. but i doubt we could buy someone in in 5 days.

sydnsteve
26-01-2006, 12:09 PM
If we go up it will be because AJ gets back to top form (I hope). Earnshaw isn't fit to clean AJ's boots.
Agree about the midfield Kevan, but not the solution. I'd start with watson and Hughes. If Hughes has an off day, then bring Soares on (though he has been so poor this season). If we do get Healy and he's anything like he used to be, I'd have him and hughes in CM

redandbluebarmy
26-01-2006, 12:14 PM

That was not my point! Where is the player to step up in the last moments when we are drawing! We do not have a match winner at the moment! I agree with you completely on your midfield stance!

LeeH
26-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I think we've become so expectant of the fact that we want all of our goals to come from up front when we should also be wanting our midfielders to be doing a job and banging a load in too. A strong scoring midifielder would be my shout, then find the right combination of stikeforce from who we already have and bob;'s your uncle.

IMO, a spell with Doog and Clint wouldnt go a miss, just to remind them all that nobody's place in the team is safe. Not saying that AJ is underperforming but I think we looked hungry with them two up front in AJ's abscence - or start with AJ and clint, then switch after 45 and let Doogie have a run out, pairing with the striker who has been least effective.

Bens Jamin
26-01-2006, 12:17 PM
You got me there Macstar, I did originally think of it 'tongue in cheek' but then I really thought about it. We'd get goals from all three of those players, and they'd provide better service to the front players. I love AJ as much as anyone else, but im starting to think if we could get three players LIKE these in, in return for AJ, we'd have an awsome team!

Selhurst Celtic
26-01-2006, 12:33 PM
That was not my point! Where is the player to step up in the last moments when we are drawing! We do not have a match winner at the moment! I agree with you completely on your midfield stance!

I wonder if Paul Stewart is still able to play football...

;)

Kevan Woz Awful
26-01-2006, 12:48 PM

I think you misunderstand my reply and I'm sorry if I didn't make my point clearly.

I think we do have the type of player you seek, in AJ, Clinton and, to a lesser extent, the Doog. What we seem to be unable to do is create the chances that these players can seize on, mainly because they are too busy out wide or are in midfield fetching themselves the ball.

I really do believe that if we fix the supply we have sufficient talent to bang the ball in the net.

redandbluebarmy
26-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I think you misunderstand my reply and I'm sorry if I didn't make my point clearly.

I think we do have the type of player you seek, in AJ, Clinton and, to a lesser extent, the Doog. What we seem to be unable to do is create the chances that these players can seize on, mainly because they are too busy out wide or are in midfield fetching themselves the ball.

I really do believe that if we fix the supply we have sufficient talent to bang the ball in the net.

You are right!

But im talking about the player who has a stinker but then scores in the last moments! We are lacking this!

Away Day Eagle
26-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
I wonder if Paul Stewart is still able to play football...

;)

According to Ron, he's still too expensive.

:hmph: :hmph:

However, I beleive a certain Andy Preece is availible :veryangry :veryangry

Selhurst Celtic
26-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
According to Ron, he's still too expensive.

:hmph: :hmph:

Stewart galvanised our team when it was needed when he joined and lo and behold up we go. I was gutted he wasn't bought. :bash:

Will we do the same this season? Buy someone who will reinvigorate the team and spur them on to clinch promotion?

The arival of Dowie seemed to light the fuse a couple of seasons ago. Who's turn will it be this year?
(If we decide to dabble in the transfer market that is)

DougleMcNori
26-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve

Dount it as i bet Macken twists Dowie's ear all week about playing against his old club :(

Cant understand though why Morrison is on the bench so much lately, not only does he score goals but his assist tally is equally impressive.

sydnsteve
26-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DougleMcNori
Dount it as i bet Macken twists Dowie's ear all week about playing against his old club :(

Cant understand though why Morrison is on the bench so much lately, not only does he score goals but his assist tally is equally impressive.

Spot on Dougle. Even when not at his best, as he wasn't for about 3 games, he layed on goals, and scored. He is exactly the kind of player who can have a stinker and then tap one in. It's a complete mystery to me that he starts in front of Clint

Santos-er
26-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I think we signed Akinbiyi at the wrong time. Selhurst is hardly a place to build a player's confidence is it? :(

Santos-er
26-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Hold on a minute - I was looking at an Akinbiyi / Neil Warnock thread before I posted that reply... What happened there?

Either i'm going mad or somehow I managed to a post to a thread in Transfer Hotline while looking at one in GPD :confused:

macstar
26-01-2006, 04:57 PM
You got me there Macstar, I did originally think of it 'tongue in cheek' but then I really thought about it. We'd get goals from all three of those players, and they'd provide better service to the front players. I love AJ as much as anyone else, but im starting to think if we could get three players LIKE these in, in return for AJ, we'd have an awsome team!

I think the reality that we should of cashed in on AJ might come back to haunt us....but to be honest at the beginning of the season i wouldn't have thought this...AND would have been utterly utterly devestated if we'd sold him.

Bens Jamin
26-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Me too! Strange innit!