PDA

View Full Version : Rory Delap - to Sunderland

Clapham Grand
28-01-2006, 08:21 PM
This just broke on one of the south-coast newswire services. Any thoughts?!?

Southampton's £4 million pound club record signing Rory Delap is set to join Championship rivals Crystal Palace - for NOTHING.
Delap, 28, has been told he can leave on a free transfer as part of head coach George Burley's January clearout.
Palace boss Iain Dowie held talks with Delap after Wednesday's 0-0 draw at St Mary's and the Republic of Ireland international is thinking over a move.
Delap has made more than 150 appearances since joining Saints from Derby five years ago and is out of contract in the summer.

Dave
28-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Please god no

Clapham Grim
28-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I suspect it could be true. Clapham Grand knows his stuff. Clearly.

Clapham Grim
28-01-2006, 08:29 PM
He's my hero.

Clapham Grand, that is. Not Rory Delap

pete eagle
28-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Who is this joker?

tjmill
28-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Clapham how likely is it?

He would be good on right hand side mid or in centre.

Very similar in style to Nolan at Bolton

boxing francis
28-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh dear god no, he is shocking.

cpfcben
28-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Once went for 5million. Can't be that bad!

cpfcben
28-01-2006, 08:39 PM
oh wait so did akinbadbuy

Dom the Eagle
28-01-2006, 08:41 PM
We have enough midfield grafters. We need a playmaker.

Big Gav
28-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
oh wait so did akinbadbuy

And Macken

maestro
28-01-2006, 08:54 PM
what position does he play?

cpfc_connection
28-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Could be a very shrewd purchase.
He is certainly a better player than one of our other rumoured targets in Colin Cameron, not to mention, he is also a good few years younger. He did impress a lot of people when he was at Derby, he is also a midfielder. Dowie has not bought a central midfield player since he has been the manager of crystal palace f.c. (leigertwood was originally brought in as a defender).

With a lot of games still to play, this would help give Hughes a few games rest which could be very important in the later stages of this season, however, he has enough experience to help guide the youngsters like Watson and Soares fulfill their potential in the midfield area.

I'd be happy with Rory Delap in a palace shirt, i seem to be a minority on this one though.

wedgetail
28-01-2006, 08:57 PM
According to a Saints fan that I know he is the worst player in their squad.

Lion
28-01-2006, 08:58 PM
I'd be quite happy with this too.

;)

David Amsalem
28-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I want us to sign a player who will be in the starting 11. I can't see Delap as more then a squad player.

Jay_Palace
28-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Is this who Lion spoke of I wonder?

He's a good player, would be a sound addition.

John.K
28-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Not really the kind of player we should be after

Jay_Palace
28-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by John.K
Not really the kind of player we should be after

Why not?

http://www.saintschat.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86891

To any Palace fan reading the subject on Rory Delap i can assure you the critiscm aimed at Rory is a ploy to put you off buying Rory.
The truth is that he was our record signing at 4m, he has an extremely long throw, scored a brilliant goal (bycicle kick) against Spurs. In fact Spurs hated playing against him as he also ripped them apart in our 4-0 cup victory. He has a deft touch and has experience playing in almost every position except for goalkeeper.left back,centre half and winger.
He tries very hard and was popular with our previous managers Gray,Sturrock,Wigley and Redknapp. These managers know what they are doing and know a lot more than his critics on this site. There are a number of people that i know that will miss Rory.
There was a lot of prejudice against the Irish in the 60's and 70's so i have been told by my dad and can only assume that the Delap haters are from that era.A recent survey of people registered on this site showed that the average age of people on this site was 57 so this would appear to confirm my point
I wish him and Palace all the best

Sounds like a great signing on a free and precisely the kind of player we should be looking at.

AJ
28-01-2006, 09:55 PM
let's not judge.......yet...remember than useless non scoring forward we got as a makewieght in the Morrison to Brum deal... I wonder whatever happened to him...

boxing francis
28-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Why not?

To any Palace fan reading the subject on Rory Delap i can assure you the critiscm aimed at Rory is a ploy to put you off buying Rory.
The truth is that he was our record signing at 4m, he has an extremely long throw, scored a brilliant goal (bycicle kick) against Spurs. In fact Spurs hated playing against him as he also ripped them apart in our 4-0 cup victory. He has a deft touch and has experience playing in almost every position except for goalkeeper.left back,centre half and winger.
He tries very hard and was popular with our previous managers Gray,Sturrock,Wigley and Redknapp. These managers know what they are doing and know a lot more than his critics on this site. There are a number of people that i know that will miss Rory.
There was a lot of prejudice against the Irish in the 60's and 70's so i have been told by my dad and can only assume that the Delap haters are from that era.A recent survey of people registered on this site showed that the average age of people on this site was 57 so this would appear to confirm my point

Sounds like a great signing on a free and precisely the kind of player we should be looking at.

Looks a little tongue in cheek to me.

Gooders
28-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Never really noticed him, tbh.

pete eagle
28-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Burley's an astute manager, if Delap was that good, he'd be keeping him.

Jay_Palace
28-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Looks a little tongue in cheek to me.

Not really. If he was so bad then why has he been a regular in their team under all those managers, including when Southampton were a happening force in the prem?

It sounds like he's jaded there and needs a new challenge. Quite frankly his versatility makes him a perfect addition, not to mention his bags of top flight experience.

SpikeyMatt
28-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Would be a sound addition to the squad.

On his day, he's a very decent player IMO and could be rejuvinated by the Dowie regime, here's hoping:p

El D
28-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I have not really noticed him that much recently - but certainly he used to be well thought of, and he has lots of Premiership experience. Could be useful if we manage to go up.

kolinkins
28-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Good player.

Tomo
28-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I wouldnt say no.

Jay_Palace
28-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Tomo
I wouldnt say no.

Quite. I'm surprised that so many people would happily see us pass by the opportunity to sign this guy on a free, even though they would doubtless whinge if he were to go to a Reading or a Sheffield United and then accuse the Palace mangement of "lacking ambition" :rolleyes:

palacefan4life
28-01-2006, 10:09 PM
If you read through the saints chat thread he sounds like a version of our very own Tommy Black i.e crap!

Chillo
28-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes please, also played in the same Carlisle side as Matt Jansen, I think.

Or we could just start booing him now, before he even signs for us :rolleyes:

I believe ID can do things with some players that seem to fall by the wayside elsewhere.

Anyway, if he turns out to be no good, we can always sell him on to Sheff Utd. :p

Shane
28-01-2006, 10:21 PM
GOOD Player. I certainly would not be disappointed with this if it were to come off.

I thought he was left footed incidentally but I might be wrong???

RDSdaEAGLE
28-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Good player, always been impressed with him when I've seen him play. Sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders for people, he can't be that crap.

Tomo
28-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Doesn't he look like Richard Ashcroft?

Owngoal
28-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Got all excited when I saw the reliable source C Grand. Its only 10 days ago he was being linked with a move to Middlesborough - of course it could just be agents trying to create interest and S'hampton really trying to trim the wage bill (he must be on a fair bit to reflect the price they paid for him).

Boro try to snap up Saint Rory
Published on 18/01/2006
Moving? Rory Delap By Amanda Little
FORMER Carlisle United star Rory Delap has been linked with a £750,000 move to Middlesbrough.

eagles #1
28-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Well its safe to say the vast majority of Saints fans think he's absoloute shite.

AJ
28-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
Well its safe to say the vast majority of Saints fans think he's absoloute shite.

They thought the same of Clinton mind :confused:

PhilD
29-01-2006, 12:02 AM
I actually think he could be quite a shrewd signing. He's vastly experienced and can play anywhere across the midfield. Whilst not perhaps the kind of exciting signing we were hoping for, I think he could definately improve the squad and potentially become a perminant fixture.

The 'well if he isn't good enough for Southampton, he isn't good enough for us' argument doesn't really wash with me. Perhaps he just needs a move to rejuvinate his career? That Neil Shipperlery hasn't done badly since we cast him aside....

Clapham Grand
29-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Saints fans think he is absolute shite:(

cpfc_spc1982
29-01-2006, 03:44 AM
he was good under strachan. on his day hes a decent player.

N Herts Eagle
29-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Saints have obvously in money trouble and given up on a quick comeback to the premiership and have off loaded from the wage bill a few players over this transfer window ...Delap is obviously another one of those they have decided is surplus to requirements.... they have struggled with no consistentcy or motivation a move could do the guy good be interesting to see we have a lot of games coming up in a short space of time we need players who can come straight into the squad Delap hopefully is one of those

wedgetail
29-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by AJ
They thought the same of Clinton mind :confused:
They see Delap every week.

CPFC-DIEHARD
29-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Why not?

He was being sarcastic you numb nut lol, read the posts below that one.

PENGE P
29-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Burley's an astute manager, if Delap was that good, he'd be keeping him.

For an put WAS his record at Southampton is shocking !!!

cliftonlad
29-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I think Delap is suffering from a complete loss of form in a poor team - who have gone through quite a few managers in the last few years. When things were settled under Strachan he was often seen as a more than decent player. IN fairness I think Saints fans think alot of their team is total crap, but thats what happens when a club has no stability - negative views/feelings spread thoughout like wildfire.

I think with the excellent coaching set up we have here, in tandem with the stability we currently enjoy with SH and ID - i cannot see the harm in pruchasing Delap (especially if it is a free transfer).

I also agree that some players just need a fresh challenge, something new...

Not a bad purchase (if it happens) - similar to the whole Colin Healy link, as gambles go - these two are pretty decent (IMO).

Jimbo ?
29-01-2006, 11:34 AM
not a bad move in my opinion, lets hope we get some one in before the window closes

Godstone Eagle
29-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by N Herts Eagle
Delap is obviously another one of those they have decided is surplus to requirements....

He's out of contract in the summer. I personally think he will be a good signing for us.

BW_Palace
29-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
he was good under strachan. on his day hes a decent player.

That's basically the summary of all the Saint's fans I've talked to.

Jay_Palace
29-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by CPFC-DIEHARD
He was being sarcastic you numb nut lol, read the posts below that one.

Even though pretty much all of it is true? A utility player with bags of prem experience who has been a regular in their team under all those managers mentioned? Hmm.

Eagleluke
29-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Even though pretty much all of it is true? A utility player with bags of prem experience who has been a regular in their team under all those managers mentioned? Hmm.

do you honestly believe that post to be serious? Even though he categorises Gray, Sturrock, Wigley and Redknapp as managers who know what they're talking about. That's not to mention the next paragraph about "Delap haters." It is clearly a wind up. :clown:

Ian Hart
29-01-2006, 03:30 PM
If we're going to add a central midfielder, I'd hope it would be someone who could contribute a few goals to take the pressure off the strikers. Other than one season (1999-2000) it wouldn't seem he fits into that criteria. In fact, when I've seen him he's always seemed more like a Liegertwood type of player.

Incidentally, a number of people have given credence to this story on the basis that the reliable Clapham Grand started the thread. But on this occasion I don't think he was suggesting he had got any information (please correct me if I'm wrong CG) but was simply reproducing something he had read.

SEASONAL RECORD:

Carlisle: 1994-1995 Played 3 Scored 0 goals (Division 3)
1995-1996 Played 19 Scored 3 goals (Division 2)
1996-1997 Played 32 Scored 4 goals (Division 3)
1997-1998 Played 9 Scored 0 goals (Division 2)

Transferred on 6/2/1998 for £250, 000

Derby: 1997-1998 Played 13 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
1998-1999 Played 23 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
1999-2000 Played 34 Scored 8 goals (Premiership)
2000-2001 Played 33 Scored 3 goals (Premiership)

Transferred on 21/7/2001 for £3, 000, 000

Southampton: 2001-2002 Played 28 Scored 2 goals (Premiership)
2002-2003 Played 25 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
2003-2004 Played 27 Scored 1 goal (Premiership)
2004-2005 Played 37 Scored 2 goals (Premiership)
2005-2006 Played 15 Scored 0 goals (Championship)

One Step Down
29-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Statistics in isolation are meaningless. What was the quality of the team in which he played? What role did the manager give him? How good were the forwards he supplied and the midfielders (or defenders) alongside him at providing openings? If 1999-2000 was the only year he had a mandate to go forward, and was thereafter expected to take on an exclusively defensive role then I'd conclude he can definitely score goals from midfield. If, on the other hand, he's been given an attacking role for the past four seasons, then I'd conclude he won't be among the scorers very often. Either way, the stats as presented above tell me more or less nothing.

cpfcmazz
29-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Rory's aunty teaches at my school so ill see if i can get any more info on this possible move

CPFC-DIEHARD
29-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Is he a Centre Mid, bollocks, i was hoping he was a Left Back. :D

Sussex Eagle
29-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I get the impression that he's a hard worker, good physically but not so much in terms of flair & technical prowess. Typical Dowie player really, so at least he'll fit in. The throw-ins should be useful too.

Ian Hart
29-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down
Statistics in isolation are meaningless. What was the quality of the team in which he played? What role did the manager give him?

If you watch football regularly, then you'll know the answers to those questions.

st albans
29-01-2006, 07:03 PM
decent player, especially on a free

One Step Down
29-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
If you watch football regularly, then you'll know the answers to those questions.

I don't really agree. If you watch football regularly, you certainly have a reasonable general idea about a lot of players and a more detailed knowledge of your own teams players. I've got a passable grasp of Delap's physical attributes in a broad sense but I can't remember who played alongside him in midfield at Carlise, Derby, or even most of the time at Southampton (barring one or two other players) and I certainly have no idea what the managers of those clubs told him before he took the pitch.

I think as regular supporters we like to kid ourselves that we know a lot more about what's going on and how to read a player than we actually do. I'm guessing that Dowie's interest in Delap, if indeed that's the case, is based on having done some proper homework. My guess is he'll have studied the tapes, spoken to at least one and probably more of his former managers and/or team-mates, found out something about his character, and weighed up Delaps playing skills as well as Dowies own vision of where he wants him to fit in at Palace.

In my view, you're doing a disservice by implying weighing up a prospective transfer target is little more than a rudimentary process.

spt1978
29-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Just hope he is taking a wage cut because i image he is on 10k a week at least.

spt1978
29-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Oh and cant we bid for Prutton instead.

Ian of Chatham
29-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Not sure about this, he certainly isn't the creative midfielder we require but might do a job for us as long as he is not delapidated.

Scroatey
29-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Burley's an astute manager, if Delap was that good, he'd be keeping him. Except his wages maybe an issue, and if he's coming to the end of his contract he could walk away in the summer anyway.

Personally I think Delap would be a great signing, for this season and a future one in the Premiership!

nookiebear
29-01-2006, 09:40 PM
A good signing if true, especially on a free.

Hardly anyone has been decent at Southampton this season, have they? Perhaps people should reserve judgement before saying he's shite to see what Dowie can get out of him. Besides, I think the Ronaldino deal has fallen through so he might be the best option :rolleyes:

I interviewed him about five years ago - he was a very likeable lad, if a bit bonkers. Aki might have a rival in the nut nut stakes :)

gjtango
29-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
A good signing if true, especially on a free.

Hardly anyone has been decent at Southampton this season, have they? Perhaps people should reserve judgement before saying he's shite to see what Dowie can get out of him. Besides, I think the Ronaldino deal has fallen through so he might be the best option :rolleyes:

I interviewed him about five years ago - he was a very likeable lad, if a bit bonkers. Aki might have a rival in the nut nut stakes :)

What did you interview him for?

nookiebear
29-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Shoot magazine

Ian Hart
29-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down
I don't really agree. If you watch football regularly, you certainly have a reasonable general idea about a lot of players and a more detailed knowledge of your own teams players. I've got a passable grasp of Delap's physical attributes in a broad sense but I can't remember who played alongside him in midfield at Carlise, Derby, or even most of the time at Southampton (barring one or two other players) and I certainly have no idea what the managers of those clubs told him before he took the pitch.

I probably have a bit of an advantage. For years I've been a member of a very competetive fantasy football league where all the managers have to lob in a sizeable sum of money that then gets distributed to those who do best. This serves as an incentive to watch a great deal of players very carefully to decide if they're worth signing for yourself!

In his earlier days Delap was known as an attacking midfielder. His goals largely came from outside the area (he had a fairly strong shot) or from the occasional header. In the Premiership, he didn't have the necessary technique to play that role, and so for the past few years has played much deeper, and occasionally wider (although he has no great pace). He's tough and competetive, and if that what people feel we need, he would fit the bill.

The point I was making was that a number of people feel that what we need in midfield is a player who is used to getting ahead of the strikers on occasions, arriving late with his run to score a few goals (a bit like Jagielka). If that's what they're after, then Delap's record of an average of just 1 goal per season for the past four seasons doesn't suggest he'd fulfill that role, and indeed it's many years since he was played as an attacking midfielder.

kolinkins
29-01-2006, 10:40 PM
But how about as a box to box sort of player? He has the attributes for it.

Ian Hart
30-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes, he could manage that role Kolinkins or at least our box to somewhere near the other box - I'm not sure he's got the pace to get in front of the play. If that's what we're looking for, he has a good engine and could certainly fill that role.

Is that what we're looking for, though?

kolinkins
30-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
Yes, he could manage that role Kolinkins or at least our box to somewhere near the other box - I'm not sure he's got the pace to get in front of the play. If that's what we're looking for, he has a good engine and could certainly fill that role.

Is that what we're looking for, though?

If Dowie can get the best out of him, then we could have another Hopkin (mark 1) on our hands.

Sussex Eagle
30-01-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
If Dowie can get the best out of him, then we could have another Hopkin (mark 1) on our hands.

Oh please! :rolleyes:

wedgetail
30-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Hopkin (mark 1) scored goals.

davematt
30-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Dear God....

How can you Compare Rory Delap 05/06 to The David Hopkin of 96/97? Your logic Klinx is beyond me.

AJ
30-01-2006, 12:12 PM
well one day left :o

CarlosTheFinger
30-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I rated him in his last season at Derby and early Premiership days at Southampton. That said, players who score the odd spectacular goal do tend to be thought of as better than they actually are and he has been anonymous (along with the rest of the team) in the Championship thus far, so in summary, I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks for listening,

Cheers Roryboys,

Carlos

Jay_Palace
30-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Dear God....

How can you Compare Rory Delap 05/06 to The David Hopkin of 96/97? Your logic Klinx is beyond me.

I think its a valid comparrison. Hoppo was washed up at Chelsea, much like Delap is at Southampton and a move away rejuvinated his career.

Psychokiller
30-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I think its a valid comparrison. Hoppo was washed up at Chelsea, much like Delap is at Southampton and a move away rejuvinated his career.

Hoppo was a young prospect at Chelscum who couldn't break into the first team, not a record signing happy to pick up his inflated wage packet for doing •••• all.

kolinkins
30-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Dear God....

If Dowie can get the BEST out of Delap, he is capable of scoring in double figures and imposing himself on a game.

Jay_Palace
30-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Hoppo was a young prospect at Chelscum who couldn't break into the first team, not a record signing happy to pick up his inflated wage packet for doing •••• all.

Hmm he was 26 when we signed him, hardly a young prospect.

Granada allover
30-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Hmm he was 26 when we signed him, hardly a young prospect.

24 going on 25 I think you'll find - but not a young prospect, that's for sure. Threw it all away by going to Leeds. :(

Trolley
30-01-2006, 07:02 PM
'Delap' can plough his furrow in a variety of 'positions' and has within his armoury a 'Gargantuan' throw.

Oddjob
30-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
'Delap' can plough his furrow in a variety of 'positions' and has within his armoury a 'Gargantuan' throw.

So does Fatima Whitbread but we arent going to sign her up are we?

cliftonlad
30-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Top shout oddjob!!

Will S
30-01-2006, 07:14 PM
All good stuff, but he doesn't actually appear to have signed, or indeed be signing.

Salisbury
30-01-2006, 07:30 PM
This is Jan 05 all over again! I wonder who will be spotted at the ground tomorrow?

Sussex Eagle
30-01-2006, 08:22 PM
If Dowie can get the BEST out of Delap, he is capable of scoring in double figures and imposing himself on a game.

He's not ACTUALLY the Messiah! Good coaching and motivation can only do so much - it will not turn Delap into one of Palace's greatest ever midfielders, which is what Hopkin was.

kolinkins
30-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
He's not ACTUALLY the Messiah! Good coaching and motivation can only do so much - it will not turn Delap into one of Palace's greatest ever midfielders, which is what Hopkin was.

Hopkin was good, but not one of our greatest ever midfielders! the last 15 years has seen Gray, Thomas and Lombardo. Previously, we have had Kember and Taylor. Hopkin isnt in that group. In terms of style of player, Delap can, if he applies himself, be as effective for us as Hoppa was, first time around

JohnA
30-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Salisbury
This is Jan 05 all over again! I wonder who will be spotted at the ground tomorrow?

Is it really a year ago?
Blimey we were happy AJ had stayed.

Crunchie
30-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Hopkin was good, but not one of our greatest ever midfielders! the last 15 years has seen Gray, Thomas and Lombardo. Previously, we have had Kember and Taylor. Hopkin isnt in that group. In terms of style of player, Delap can, if he applies himself, be as effective for us as Hoppa was, first time around

Thats only 5 midfielders! Hopkin is in the top 10 thats for sure. I dont think Delap would be a bad signing on a free, but not in my wildest dreams would he be that good :rolleyes:

Psychokiller
30-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob

I heard that she occasionally fills in for Tony Popovic. No, I couldn't tell the difference either.

rodtheplod
31-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Am trekking in Thailand with a mate who is a saints fan - He reckons that Delap has had a dog of a season and has been a passenger for the last 18months, they cant believe that anyone else wants him. Don't do it Dowie!!!!!!

Just had to find a shack in the jungle with an internet connection to air my view - we need skilled ball players in midfield not cloggers!!!!!

€pfc
31-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Delap to Sunderland

Salisbury
31-01-2006, 10:15 AM
SSN are talking about a 2 1/2 year deal at Sunderland.

Geezer
31-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Oddjob

Source?

se1eagle
31-01-2006, 10:29 AM

apparently kleberson has been seen at beckenham train station ;) :o :D

Away Day Eagle
31-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

Who then bailed the minute he put us up in 97.

Came back and was god awful bad

Away Day Eagle
31-01-2006, 10:34 AM

Once again we completely ignore one of the most underrated players at Palace, Dave Madden, who at this time of year ensured we got up via the play-offs.

Watch Coppell interviews about him, the boy had it all.

Also Houghton made Hopkin look the Mug him and Andy Roberts were.

Also Hughes/Aki are way ahead of Hopkin.

davematt
31-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by se1eagle
apparently kleberson has been seen at beckenham train station ;) :o :D

:D

Memories....:love:

cpfcben
31-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Delap set for North East
By Peter O Rourke - Created on 31 Jan 2006
THE TRANSFER WINDOW
Time is running out! Click here for all the news during the countdown to the deadline!

Related links
Team Pages:
Sunderland
Southampton
Middlesbrough
Player Pages:
Rory Delap
Premiership strugglers Sunderland are keen to sign Southampton's Rory Delap on transfer deadline day.

The versatile Republic of Ireland international has been offered a two-and-a-half year contract to uproot and switch from the South Coast to the North East.

Delap's agent Neil Sillett told skysports.com that a free transfer is on the brink of completion.

"There's a few i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed," Sillett informed skysports.com on Tuesday morning.

"He's agreed personal terms and it's a two-and-a-half year deal.

"He is looking forward to linking up with Mick McCarthy after working with him with the Republic of Ireland national team."

Delap had previously been linked with Sunderland's North East rivals, and opponents on Tuesday night, Middlesbrough.

Story Tools:
Print Email this page Messageboards
NEW HIGHLIGHTS FROM SKY
On your PC at no additional cost to Sky subscribers. Click here for more details.

Premiership LinksNews
Fixtures
Results
Tables
Top Scorers
Premiership in/out
Select a teamTeam pages:
Select a team -------- English Barclays Premiership -------- Arsenal Aston Villa Birmingham Blackburn Bolton Charlton Chelsea Everton Fulham Liverpool Man City Man Utd Middlesbro Newcastle Portsmouth Sunderland Tottenham West Brom West Ham Wigan --------More NewsPremiership Tuesday preview
Delap set for North East
Rovers to go with the Flo
D'Alessandro delight at move
Bolton swoop for Spanish star
Gonzalez explains loan switch
FEATURESON THIS DAY
Our enhanced On this Day feature is the perfect way to start your day!
WIN! WIN! WIN!
We have five copies of Chelsea Cult Heroes to give away to our readers.
TEAM TEASER
Send us your suggestion for this week's team.
YOUR VIEW
Who do you think will win this year's FA Cup?
THE POSER
Name the players who have competed in these derbies.

© 2006 BSkyB | Privacy Statement Terms and Conditions Accessibility Contact Us
Select stylesheet: High Contrast (?) Default version

st albans
31-01-2006, 11:17 AM
so he'd been linked with sunderland and boro and yet people seemed to think he wasn't good enough for us.

oh well, don't think we'll sign anybody

JohnA
31-01-2006, 11:22 AM
SSN are talking about a 2 1/2 year deal at Sunderland.

In the Grauniad as that too.

Of course Rory & Mick are being re-united

Cleon
31-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by st albans
so he'd been linked with sunderland and boro and yet people seemed to think he wasn't good enough for us.

Personally I think we've got a better team than Sunderland.

palace_boy_luke
31-01-2006, 11:34 AM
He's set to sign for Sunderland.

Bungalow
31-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by palace_boy_luke
He's set to sign for Sunderland.

He just has.

N Herts Eagle
31-01-2006, 01:08 PM
He has signed for Sunderland subject to medical...hope the guy in Thailand can get back to the jungle happier now

Clapham Grand
02-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Delap deal broke down on personal terms - no great loss IMO