29-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Dj campbell is a fast attacking striker could do the job with Aj:afro:

Neil
29-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Yss, we're a bit short of strikers.

whasup
29-01-2006, 10:00 AM
We'll Check out their ratings in the NOTW

Morrison 3,Freedman 4.And Macken when he plays,well....................

N Herts Eagle
29-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Saw him play for Stevenage a few times....no thanks

Dave
29-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by whasup
We'll Check out their ratings in the NOTW

Morrison 3,Freedman 4.And Macken when he plays,well.................... The problem is AJ doesn't fit with the other strikers, I don't think Clinton has had a good game when AJ has played.

Gooders
29-01-2006, 10:17 AM
AJ is completely single minded.

I agree with Dave and then some - AJ is now best suited (possibly only suited) to playing as a lone striker.

Playing him with someone else takes something away from his game, and theirs.

Neil
29-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Didn't AJ play fairly well with Shipperley though Gooders?

cliftonlad
29-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Regardless of plays well with who at the moment. Can we say with any real that DJ Campbell will play any better??

There is no point in signing anymore forwards - we have enough strikers in the squad as it is....

Gooders
29-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Didn't AJ play fairly well with Shipperley though Gooders?

Some people thought so - personally I haven't rated Shipperley for years - no one can be that lardy and truly effective. Yes I know he's scored quite a few this season but that's more an indictment of the defending is this league than anything else.

I actually thought I saw signs of something good between Clint and AJ in their first couple of games together but it isn't happening now, that's for sure.

cpfc_spc1982
29-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Dave
The problem is AJ doesn't fit with the other strikers, I don't think Clinton has had a good game when AJ has played.

well he worked well with shipps.
i dont think clinton has had many good games since hes been back , 1 in fact.

cpfc_spc1982
29-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

he is alot more so now than he was in the championship a couple of seasons ago.

Dave
29-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

I agree with Dave and then some - AJ is now best suited (possibly only suited) to playing as a lone striker.

Playing him with someone else takes something away from his game, and theirs.

Which makes it strange that we then decide to play three strikers yesterday.

Clinton has hardly played since AJ came back from injury and when he has he has looked out of sorts. I was watching the brighton away game yesterday and Clinton was outstanding, the way he set up the Doug for his 100th is sensational.

I think there is a case for dropping AJ and playing Clinton and the Doug up front, especially now that the defence has improved some.

Will never happen though, I think id they are paying AJ what they are they will expect to play him week in week out, if only to sustain his transfer value. the problem with that is he isn't back to his old form, it only takes a few months playing that that to demolish a strikers transfer value.

I hope AJ turns it round and a partnership is formed with another striker but if he doesn't then the 8.5m or whayever it was we were offered is going to seem an awful lot of money come mid May.

Gooders
29-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Yep.

We can't play with a lone striker in this division. The teams we're facing aren't good enough to come at us consistently and allow us to play counter-attacking football.

We shouldn't play with 3 strikers either - that has never worked.

I think we should team AJ with Dougie and have done with it - at least the Doog is intelligent enough to try and work around him.

Gooders
29-01-2006, 10:34 AM
And to mitigate against the thread hi-jack - I thought Campbell looked very good yesterday but whether he's yet capable of stepping up another level or two I think it's too early to say.

Sweet left foot though.

Oddjob
29-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, lets sign him up on the basis of one good game against a shocking team devoid of any confidence

Dave
29-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Yes, lets sign him up on the basis of one good game against a shocking team devoid of any confidence

He scored 10 goals in his first professional season after non league football . . .

whasup
29-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Well we're thinking of splasing out 500k on this kid from Southhampton?!

Celestial Empire
29-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by whasup
Well we're thinking of splasing out 500k on this kid from Southhampton?!

Not anymore apparently. We might be better advised to keep our eye on the Colchester lads.

deanchilds
29-01-2006, 11:09 AM
look who we signed last time we kept an eye on the colchester lads.

I.Flyer
29-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Which makes it strange that we then decide to play three strikers yesterday.

Clinton has hardly played since AJ came back from injury and when he has he has looked out of sorts. I was watching the brighton away game yesterday and Clinton was outstanding, the way he set up the Doug for his 100th is sensational.

I think there is a case for dropping AJ and playing Clinton and the Doug up front, especially now that the defence has improved some.

Will never happen though, I think id they are paying AJ what they are they will expect to play him week in week out, if only to sustain his transfer value. the problem with that is he isn't back to his old form, it only takes a few months playing that that to demolish a strikers transfer value.

I hope AJ turns it round and a partnership is formed with another striker but if he doesn't then the 8.5m or whayever it was we were offered is going to seem an awful lot of money come mid May.
I agree with this and although it will probably be considered blasphemy, there is a possibility that AJ's ego is beginning to swell quite a bit. Not only does he miss too many shots on goal (IMO) but he rarely passes to anyone else if they are in a better shooting position.

I also think we may have missed the boat as far as his value is concerned, not that I am advocating selling him at the moment. Believe it or not, I still love AJ but I believe a bench seat for a game or two may remind him that it is a team game. Who knows, the other strikers may show a big improvement in their game if they are fighting for a place and not just a makeweight for AJ's automatic selection.

palacefan4life
29-01-2006, 11:37 AM
He scored 10 goals in his first professional season after non league football . . .

But does this automatically make him good enough for us?

cliftonlad
29-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Hold on.."we hope AJ can turn it around" - what planet are we today then??

Morrison and AJs goal return this season is pretty decent (in my humble opinion).

Maybe AJ is more "single minded" owing to the fact that he is one of the finest strikers plying his trade in the english league at the moment. Second last year to Henry...

He is entitled to be selfish..great strikers often are - its what makes them so good. AJ can turn a game with his pace/skill - of course id like to see him set up for others to score, but can hardly bemoan when he chooses to go it alone.

If this is the biggest problem we face in team selction then we have it so very very easy.

Celestial Empire
29-01-2006, 12:33 PM
AJ is just trying a bit too hard to get his goal-scoring form back. He looks a bit like he did, early in the promo season, before he hit his scoring stride.

I hope he is soon back to his best, and, if we aren't promoted, that the resulting parting of the ways is friendly and well-remunerated.
There's not much doubt that we operate with a star and a bunch of lesser heavenly bodies. For long-term development we should be after long-term, more balanced, striking potential, but who would be confident that the Dowie's would spend AJ money well on new striking potential ?
And AJ is that rare event, a Prem capable striker at Selhurst Park, essential if we do fluke promo this season.

Oddjob
29-01-2006, 12:48 PM

That makes all the difference, I'll pay his fee myself then.

Richwak
29-01-2006, 01:24 PM
He isnt actually a first team for Brentford is he. Normally when I look at their squad hes on the bench. No thanks, too much like AJ, if we got anyone get a big bloke to knock it down. But we dont need a striker, he need a DL or a creative goalscoring Midfielder (Idiakez).

Dave
29-01-2006, 01:27 PM
but who would be confident that the Dowie's would spend AJ money well on new striking potential ? Who would be confident they would get any of the money to spend?

Would be fun tho - spending 8m in this league :)

Sussex Eagle
29-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I'd certainly rather have this guy than Macken, Andrews or Black. Was told he was supposedly meant for big things when he was at Yeading, looks likely at the moment - you don't get goals like that on pure luck.

aj4england
29-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Heard of him and seen him play a couple of times...how old is he?Too similar too andrews?

Scroatey
29-01-2006, 08:35 PM

Will never happen though... :love:

I'm so glad someone else thinks this. Right now I feel like AJ's return from injury was just like the signing of Akinbiyi - wedged in between Freedman and Morrison - IMHO the best partnership at the club.

Sussex Eagle
29-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Scroatey
:love:

I'm so glad someone else thinks this. Right now I feel like AJ's return from injury was just like the signing of Akinbiyi - wedged in between Freedman and Morrison - IMHO the best partnership at the club.

:) By a wide margin too. I'm in two minds about whether dropping AJ could possibly be the smart thing to do, but it does make a twisted sort of sense. Somehow I don't think we'll see it unless results go seriously south or AJ gets crocked though.

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Scroatey
:love:

You seem to be suggesting that the form of players (and strike partnerships) can somehow be reserved in exactly the same way
as they were in the past, disregarding such things as the ravages
of time, wear, tear and gradual deteriation of the body, reduction
in pace, etc.

The idea that by re-assembling the old Freedman/Morrison strike-
partnership it will be able to re-produce the goals of it's hey-day,
is the product of romantic nostalgia. The brief period of success
the pair enjoyed during October against moderate opposition wasn't
sustained when we began playing teams like Sheffield Utd & Luton.

You appear to be totally ignoring the fact that despite that "dream
ticket" four seasons ago, we failed to reach the play-offs, whereas
WITHOUT IT two seasons later, we not only got to the play-offs,
but achieved promotion to the Premier League!

Freedman is now 32, and a good yard slower, Morrison is rising 27,
and now cannot play without shoulder strapping.

It is interesting that you are reviving this "golden age" during Palace's
best unbeaten run of the season, during which Johnson has netted
5 goals in 7 games and when we have scored 16 goals in just nine
games.

davematt
30-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Going back to this DJ kid....he does seem to have the 'Ian Wright' factor about him.

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by davematt
Going back to this DJ kid....he does seem to have the 'Ian Wright' factor about him.

Which poses the question of why our scouting network failed to spot
his undoubted talent?

davematt
30-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
his undoubted talent?

You could say the same about every club in the country. He played for Yeading last year against Newcastle in the FA Cup. The game was played at QPR and DJ impressed, and Brentford took the gamble. For 5,000, 12 goals this season shows that it has worked out well. I hope he stays there for at least another year or so and learns his trade. I can certainly see him stepping up to a higher level in the future. Any striker with that sort of pace has a chance, and he looks technically quite good.

Fat Andy
30-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Going back to AJ, as its much more interesting than the DJ, Palace completely change the way they play when AJ starts, long balls over the top is the order of the day which pretty much rules out the second striker..we play better football when AJ isn't in the team.

davematt
30-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Fat Andy
Going back to AJ, as its much more interesting than the DJ, Palace completely change the way they play when AJ starts, long balls over the top is the order of the day which pretty much rules out the second striker..we play better football when AJ isn't in the team.

Sorry that is rubbish. We play long balls over the top as their is no movement in midfield. If you ask AJ if he likes chasing onto hopeless balls over the top and he will say 'no'. Anyway, AJ is best when running at players, not when chasing the ball. People here who think dropping AJ is the way forward need their head examined. I thought about it last week and realised how stupid it would be. If we start playing to AJ's strength i.e. Ball to feet, then we will start to see fireworks up front, but we seem to be unable to do this as our whole midfield cant produce a decent pass, apart from Ben Watson.

Fat Andy
30-01-2006, 10:40 AM
thats your opinion, i believe when AJ plays the other players look to him straight away as an option, often overlooking others around him. i don't think theres any harm with trying other options form time to time, Clinton and Dougie should be good enough in this league, especially against some of the weaker teams, you can't ignore the fact that the other strikers have suffered since AJ's return....I'm not saying every game but i feel AJ is under so much pressure this season that the odd game rested wouldn't do him any harm at all.

Beanie
30-01-2006, 11:22 AM
his undoubted talent?
Undoubted talent??? a year ago he was playing non-league, he has had a good year in League 1 and now he's an "undoubted talent". ID has said he wants people capable of playing in the Premiership. If he's such an "undoubted talent" it's not just Palace's scouting network that missed him - it 23 other Championship sides and 20 Premiership. We seem in pretty good company. He's started okay, but hasn't really proved he can do it long term in League 1, never mind better. Too many conlussions drawn from scoring two goals against a poor Premiership side.

Beanie
30-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
AJ is just trying a bit too hard to get his goal-scoring form back. He looks a bit like he did, early in the promo season, before he hit his scoring stride.
Give me a break - the guy has scored 11 goals what, 19 / 20 games so far this season - including a period getting back to match fitness. That's pretty well the same as 32 in 52 last time in this division.

Palaceboy222
30-01-2006, 12:04 PM
12 goals in 19 starts and 2 subs i thnk but not 100% sure on that

Young Trolley
30-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I think dropping our only real class act, our England International, our best f*cking player by an absolute country mile would be a wonderful idea!!! :rolleyes:

What planet are people on? I couldn't care less whether DF and CM play well together, to suggest dropping AJ to accomodate the 2 of them cos they looked half decent against the dregs of the league for a couple of months is madness.

A better solution surely would be for all our other forwards be busting a gut to work on their game, staying behind after practice like Wright and Bright used to, to ensure thir game compliments AJ

however in this day and age of overpaid pampered t*rts I guess that's too much to ask?:hmph:

Lords Eagle
30-01-2006, 12:22 PM

But that's the fault of the rest of the team or management for dictating those tactics, get the ball down on the deck and feed AJ, he can control the ball, hold on to it or run with it at defenders, he can't outjump 6ft+ defenders! We play our best when AJ is in the team and we get the ball down.

Son of Ron
30-01-2006, 12:28 PM
his undoubted talent?

Along with those of all the other Premier League and Championship clubs :rolleyes:

If we're going to take a chance on some cheap lower league player who I've only heard about from watchin MOTD then I'd rather go for Halford or Danns of Colchester.

Jason
30-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Agree that he's probably too similar to AJ (from what little I've seen of him . . . .Campell that is not AJ), so would make little sense at present. However, we surely should be keeping a close eye on him to see how he develops. Unfortunately, there is a good chance that we wont be promoted this season. If that proves to be the case, AJ is near certain to move on.

Under such circumstances, buying a young up and coming striker makes perfect sense. We already have an excellent partnership at this level in Morrison and Freedman, and we should be using that rather than making a big name striker purchase for the sake of "showing ambition". Macken would have then (hopefully) had an injury free pre-season behind him, and will be well placed to show his best form.

Buying a young up and coming striker puts pressure on the more established strikers, without the newcomer expecting to walk straight into the first team. He also wouldn't be under pressure to deliver the goods at day one, and he could potentially develop into an excellent striker in the longer term. Most importantly, there would be significannt money left over from the inevitable AJ sale to strengthen the other areas of the team, that require more urgent attention than our forward line (yes even a forward line without AJ).

Naturally if we do go up, such a move makes little sense, as we would be looking for a completely different type of player.

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by davematt
You could say the same about every club in the country. He played for Yeading last year against Newcastle in the FA Cup. The game was played at QPR and DJ impressed, and Brentford took the gamble. For 5,000, 12 goals this season shows that it has worked out well. I hope he stays there for at least another year or so and learns his trade. I can certainly see him stepping up to a higher level in the future. Any striker with that sort of pace has a chance, and he looks technically quite good.

Can't recall Palace being prepared to take such a "gamble" in recent
years, suggesting we haven't been trying too hard.

Coppell was always on the look out for talented youngish players
from the non-League ranks eg. Ian Wright, Simon Rodger, Andy
Gray, Alan Pardew (Steve Kabba?) etc. to name but a few.

Our Academy should be the primary source for finding and developing
talent but less wealthy clubs like Palace can't afford to ignore the
lower Leagues.

griggs
30-01-2006, 01:18 PM
And I thought this was going to be a thread about Five Live's Nicky Campbell

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Undoubted talent??? a year ago he was playing non-league, he has had a good year in League 1 and now he's an "undoubted talent". ID has said he wants people capable of playing in the Premiership. If he's such an "undoubted talent" it's not just Palace's scouting network that missed him - it 23 other Championship sides and 20 Premiership. We seem in pretty good company. He's started okay, but hasn't really proved he can do it long term in League 1, never mind better. Too many conlussions drawn from scoring two goals against a poor Premiership side.

Why so defensive and vitriolic? Can't other people have opinions
and make constructive criticisms? Have you an absolute monopoly
of football knowledge?
Why shouldn't the question be posed as to why it is that our Club
no longer appears to seek talent from the non-League as in the
days of Coppell, probably the best manager we ever had?
I am well aware that DJ Campbell did not suddenly arise like a
Phoenix from the non-League ashes in the form we saw last
Saturday.

As Allen, the Brentford manager pointed out after the game, a
lot of work had to be put in by the player on the training ground
to bring him to the stage he has now reached. The real point
is to have the kind of scouting system to be able to discover
such "rough diamonds" at a early stage and a coaching and
training scheme that can develop them into quality professionals.

I can remember watching Andy Gray cover virtually every inch
of grass as a young mid-fielder for Dulwich Hamlet in game
after game and (with others) contacted Palace to take a look
at him. At their next home game Steve Coppell was in the
stand giving him the once-over (Alan Smith was then Hamlet's
manager), and a few weeks later got Gray to join us.

I certainly haven't drawn too many conclusions about Campbell,
although he has made quite a promising start to his career!

Boyandy
30-01-2006, 02:41 PM
of football knowledge?

Pot kettle anyone?

Beanie
30-01-2006, 03:19 PM
of football knowledge?
It was intended as either - just my opinion in the light of a what seemed an overstatement. Hence the question marks hoping for some justificationof the view expressed.

As for the question about non-league - which was not in the post to which I responded, being a simple criticism, but which you raised some time later - I 'd say that generally we have no need to dip that low. The number of players now coming straight from non-league to be immediately succesful at Championship level is very small and most come via a spell in the lower leagues. It woudl seem most of the promising youngsters now find their way into academies and when they are unsuccesful slip down, rather than starting at the local non-league side and moving up. It would seem more important to spot them earlier and get them into the academy than to look for them later.

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Boyandy
Pot kettle anyone?

Who woke you up? Would I be mistaken in thinking you are
attempting to make a cheap debating point by using the product
of someone else's brain? If you have a worthwhile argument
to contribute to the current discussion, please be free to make
it, otherwise, why waste time and space?

Celestial Empire
30-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Give me a break - the guy has scored 11 goals what, 19 / 20 games so far this season - including a period getting back to match fitness. That's pretty well the same as 32 in 52 last time in this division.

No, you give me a break ! AJ's stats are still excellent, but anyone who has been watching him recently knows that he has been missing a lot of chances which he would probably have put away on top form. I was being sympathetic. :rolleyes:
I agree with Fred, you obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Freddy Kurz
30-01-2006, 08:37 PM
It was intended as either - just my opinion in the light of a what seemed an overstatement. Hence the question marks hoping for some justificationof the view expressed.

As for the question about non-league - which was not in the post to which I responded, being a simple criticism, but which you raised some time later - I 'd say that generally we have no need to dip that low. The number of players now coming straight from non-league to be immediately succesful at Championship level is very small and most come via a spell in the lower leagues. It woudl seem most of the promising youngsters now find their way into academies and when they are unsuccesful slip down, rather than starting at the local non-league side and moving up. It would seem more important to spot them earlier and get them into the academy than to look for them later.

If, as used to be the case when John Cartwright was in charge of
Palace's Academy a few years ago, there was a veritable production
line of talent finding it's way into our reserves and first team, I could understand the point you are making. But apart from Moses, who
may be poached soon unless Palace remain extremely vigilant, this
reservoir seems to be drying up, and whilst I've already said the Academy should be a primary source of new players, the non-
League should not be ignored.

Doncaster's recent excellent run in the FA Cup against League
opposition showed up two or three players with the ability to
play at a higher level, and they are not alone in being a source
of future League players. Palace, for one reason or another
seem, at present, incapable of filling urgent vacancies espec-
ially on the left side of defence and midfield and have been
lacking a target-man for two or three seasons.

Since they are not coming through from the Academy and
Jordan appears unwilling or unable to pay inflated transfer
fees for these key players from the top two Leagues or
abroad, should we not, therefore, be taking a look at
what the best of the non-League scene has to offer?

In view of Palace's modest resources, I would have
thought it would be a matter of serious concern for
Jordan to see our U18 Academy side and Reserves
struggling so badly in their respective Leagues
these days........

old geezer
31-01-2006, 07:28 AM
the results for reserves and juiors cannot be read in isolation and you have to understand that the reserves is being used to accelerate the juniors through for potential first team appearances. juinors usually contain very young boys 16 or 17 playing against 18 year olds who are older and stronger. academy has done well I just hope that john cartwright's legacy is not going to be wasted yet again by short term idiocy

JohnA
31-01-2006, 04:50 PM
My Bee supporting colleague tells me there are fraught rumours at Griffin Park that DJ will go to Brum.
The Bees will get probably not much and lose one of their most effective players

Il Padrino
31-01-2006, 04:54 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=358936&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Bruce+moves+for+Cup+hero

Geezer
31-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Interesting, shame it's Birmingham as I'd quite like to see him do well.

Icy
31-01-2006, 05:04 PM
his undoubted talent?

DJ's massively overrated! This is the usual jumped up media hype that surrounds every little team around the cup games. We dont need a striker and he's no where near prem quality IHMO.

If we were going to sell AJ then it should have been at the start of the season and after buying Leroy Lita.

alaneagle
31-01-2006, 05:18 PM
how old is dj?

Will S
31-01-2006, 05:48 PM
...may well be on the move, but not to us ;)

mainstandeagle
31-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Going to Birmingham possibly.

eddieskyclad
31-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle
Going to Birmingham possibly. Confirmed

maestro
31-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Bit of a gamble, not sure its a good move for him

weh8millwall
31-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
how old is dj?

24 i think

Beanie
31-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by old geezer
the results for reserves and juiors cannot be read in isolation and you have to understand that the reserves is being used to accelerate the juniors through for potential first team appearances. juinors usually contain very young boys 16 or 17 playing against 18 year olds who are older and stronger. academy has done well I just hope that john cartwright's legacy is not going to be wasted yet again by short term idiocy
I agree with this. It is about the whole process not the success of one team, unless that team is the first team. The age group teams tend to be cyclical as they lose players as time passes.

Freddie - I wasn't necessarily saying that Palace Academy was picking up the good youngesters, but somebody is. As a result it is a matter of signing from clubs or academies now more than the lower leagues.

Phil O'Sophical
31-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Bit of a gamble, not sure its a good move for him

Flatnose probably thought he was signing Andy Campbell at last

Freddy Kurz
31-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Icy
DJ's massively overrated! This is the usual jumped up media hype that surrounds every little team around the cup games. We dont need a striker and he's no where near prem quality IHMO.

If we were going to sell AJ then it should have been at the start of the season and after buying Leroy Lita.

So "massively overrated" that a Premier League club is offering a reported 500k for his services!

forsells no1 fan
31-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Flatnose - '' Hes that one weve been lookin all over for!'':D More like the only one you could afford and would be willing to join!

Aki Aki Aki
01-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Probably the first time the ugly bugger even heard of DJ was when he watched Match of the Day on Saturday evening.

Riccardo
01-02-2006, 09:00 AM

I agree, I think when Clinton and Freedman are playing the team is a lot more entertaining to watch.

But as Dave stated earlier, with the amount of cash AJ gets a week I can't see him being dropped....which is a shame as I'd like to see C & F hooking up again. Just to give us another option against teams that are preparing for AJ running at them.

ebyeeckeagle
01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
So "massively overrated" that a Premier League club is offering a reported 500k for his services!

That really is no indication of his talent is it?

Nice for the player though and I like the fact that a non-league player can rise so quickly, a la Wrighty.

Scroatey
01-02-2006, 10:34 AM
You seem to be suggesting that the form of players (and strike partnerships) can somehow be reserved in exactly the same way as they were in the past...

...It is interesting that you are reviving this "golden age" during Palace's best unbeaten run of the season, during which Johnson has netted 5 goals in 7 games and when we have scored 16 goals in just nine games.Freddy you numpty, how can you read my post and take such a skewed interpretation. Incredible :rolleyes:

I was not in anyway harping back to the original Freedman/Morrison partnership in a nostalgia over reality type way. I was making a simple comparison - that is, break up an emerging partnership (whether it's been done before is irrelevant) with the immediate introduction of a third player and you cause problems.

I am a massive fan of AJ's, you clearly are too, only I won't let it blinker my opinion of what is essentially a team game.

sydnsteve
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Scroatey, would that it was a team game, but in Palce's case the total is well below the sum of its parts. And has been all season. TBH, I think this is the primary cause of our problems, but I don't think Dowie has the ability to alter it.
It is interesting to compare ID with Pardew, a manager not liked by his fans but who got the team up, and then really developed their style of play. What we did was rely on AJ and hope it worked. It nearly did but it has got us where we are now.

Reps AJ
01-02-2006, 10:55 AM

They paid 1.25 million for Robbie Blake only to move him on a few months later, taking a loss on the deal, so I wouldn't call it a ringing endorsement either.

N Herts Eagle
01-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Seeing him play for Stevenage not more than 18 months or so agao I am stunned by this move......watching non league players you can see those who have the potential talent...Barry Hales ,Fortune West Sodje are Stevenage was a prime examples.... DJ though good was never one that I believed could make it...he has stated that he is a changed man buckling down now so I really hopes this comes of for him but Bruce has taken one hell of a gamble..
By the way Boyd will make it.......

Freddy Kurz
04-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
They paid 1.25 million for Robbie Blake only to move him on a few months later, taking a loss on the deal, so I wouldn't call it a ringing endorsement either.

What on earth has Robbie Blake and his 1.25m fee got to do with
DJ Campbell and his 500k fee?

Who on earth was talking about "a ringing endorsement" until you
just introduced it into the discussion on this thread?!

What has Robbie Blake, a vastly experienced professional who
has a career record of 106 goals in 363 League games, got to
do with a virtually unknown young footballer who had been
lifted out of non-League obscurity by Brentford for a reported
50k and then sold in a few months later to Premier League
Birmingham for 500k?

The only possible connection is that both were bought by
Birmingham City, so what? In terms of actual League
experience the two players are as different as chalk and
cheese.

I would think that Campbell looks far better value for money
than an injury-prone veteran like Blake did. Considering
how much of an improvement Martin Allen made in Campbell's
game in just a few months of full time training and coaching,
the prospects look very favourable for developing him still
further at a Premier League club like Birmingham City.

But only time, and the player's own willingness to learn and
work hard will tell in the end.

Latvian
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Bruce, desperate again, didnt he sign Robbie Blake about this time last year? LOL

He seems a decent player but no ready for the Premiership, probably explains why hes joined Brum :) He only scored two vs. Sunderland for f**ks sake!

Cleon
06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
at a Premier League club like Birmingham City.

That's the only place where your argument falls down Freddy.

Within a few months they won't be a Premiership club anymore. :lux:

Trolley
06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
Bruce, desperate again, didnt he sign Robbie Blake about this time last year? LOL

'Steve Bruce' did in fact acquire the services of 'Robbie Blake' for the 'princely' sum of 1.25 Mill.

Dobbo
06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
'Steve Bruce' did in fact acquire the services of 'Robbie Blake' for the 'princely' sum of 1.25 Mill.
And moved him on to Leeds for ?? Not a lot I guess :hi:

Trolley
06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
And moved him on to Leeds for ?? Not a lot I guess :hi:

I might be 'Way off Radar' but I am of the opinion that the 'Deal' with 'Leeds' was 800,000 plus certain 'Add-ons'.

:p