PDA

View Full Version : Brian Moore dies

Maidstoned Eagle
02-09-2001, 02:35 AM
Just learnt of the death of Brian Moore. He was the one football pundit/commentator who always had a good word for Palace. The really sad thing is that he died this morning and never saw the England game tonight, I'm sure he would have loved it. Goodbye Brian, you'll be missed.

zonin2000
02-09-2001, 02:59 AM
sad and shocking news indeed.. im sure that all our thoughts are with his family right now. he was one of the great commentators and very entertaining. its such a shame that he couldnt witness tonights game as you said maidstoned, "he would have loved it".

:( .

Ian of Chatham
02-09-2001, 03:02 AM
I'm very saddened by this news, especially the fact that he never saw tonight's match. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

eaglesrus
02-09-2001, 03:23 AM
his commentaries for football like murray walkers is to formular 1. he will be missed.

Stellavista
02-09-2001, 03:51 AM
Many may not realise it, but this is also very sad news for Palace fans.
I have been lucky enough to have met the great man a number of times, because, for many years, he had been a great supporter of the Disabled Kids Xmas Party at Selhurst.
He turned up every year, signing autographs for the kids and their carers/parents, and helped distribute the food and presents.
Forget his sterling tv work - Brian Moore was a genuine diamond geezer, and it's a huge loss.
My heart goes out to his family and friends, including those at Gillingham FC, of whom he was a great fan.
God bless you, Brian.

Steve C
02-09-2001, 03:58 AM
Goodbye Brain,I grew up listening to your voice on the Big Match,you will be sorly missed.

M25 Eagle
02-09-2001, 04:05 AM
Brian Moore was without doubt the very best Football Commentator. Nobody today on any channel comes close. I always watched major games on ITV, simply because Brian Moore was doing the commentary. He reguarly covered Palace games especially in the days when LWT used to screen The Big Match. The 5-0 thrashing of Man United in 1973 and the 3-0 Play Off Final 2nd leg against Balackburn in 1989 are two great Palace games that he covered. Thank you Brian Moore, a great man who will be sadly missed.

Benzhiyi
02-09-2001, 04:07 AM
Sad news that the legend Brian Moore died today, particularly as he missed one of our greatest victories ever. My thoughts go out to his family as always.

Freddy Kurz
02-09-2001, 04:13 AM
Brian Moore was a genuine football fan, a humanitarian and one of the truly great commentators. Sad he didn't see England's historic win tonight. He will be greatly missed by all football supporters and everyone he helped inside and outside the game.

selhurst
02-09-2001, 04:21 AM
I am both shocked and saddened by this news. Brian Moore was one of the true great commentators. We will miss him. God bless him.

Les Butler
02-09-2001, 04:42 AM
Oh yes I grew up with that man watching him on the Telly ,put's a bit of a damper on England's win.........Yep he always came across as a nice man he will be missed.

DennisUphill
02-09-2001, 05:16 AM
Brian Moore 'Brown Bread', I can't believe it. He was my partner on Sundays after the boozer turned out. I'd rush home for me dinner and a bollocking from me mum for being late, settle down and watch the 'Big Match' half pissed.
It's a sad sad day. R.I.P. mate.

DennisUphill
02-09-2001, 05:19 AM
Brian Moore 'Brown Bread', I can't believe it. He was my partner on Sundays after the boozer turned out. I'd rush home for me dinner and a bollocking from me mum for being late, settle down and watch the 'Big Match' half pissed.
It's a sad sad day. R.I.P. mate.

sydney eagle
02-09-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by selhurst
I am both shocked and saddened by this news. Brian Moore was one of the true great commentators. We will miss him. God bless him. well said selhurst,I'm lost for words.Best commentator I can remember by far.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-09-2001, 05:29 AM
It is indeed very sad news, and as someone else said it is such a shame he couldn't have witnessed a wonderful England win.
A man who always came across as a true gentleman. Will be missed.

ScottHooky
02-09-2001, 05:38 AM
After such a great night...it's very sad news.....Thank you Brian.

dazza_eagle
02-09-2001, 06:10 AM
I heard about it after the match, very sad news. He was a great commentator and a gentleman. Ironic that it had to be on a day England played so well.

Nobby
02-09-2001, 06:22 AM
As Stella mentioned, Brian Moore was a great friend to Palace and a wonderful man, in addition to being the most influential and best-loved commentator of all time. I was very saddened when he decided to retire, but that pales in comparison to this news.

GreatGonzo
02-09-2001, 06:47 AM
A sad day for Football and for life, he has been missed from the screens for a while now but that is nothing compared to how he will be missed by the people he still did so much work out of the limelight. As said a true gentleman and a true supporter, an irreplacable man.

Vic Eagle
02-09-2001, 11:37 AM
Brian Moore was quite simply an institution...I guess many of us grew up with him as one of the most respected commentators/anchormen in the game.

I liked the bit when he said Alan Pardew knocking it in with the outside of the boot was the bit he liked....wore out the video:rolleyes:

RIP

wighteagle
02-09-2001, 01:39 PM
I was so sad to hear the news about Brian Moore. A lovely man who had a soft spot for Palace. I often saw him when he walked round the pitch at Selhurst, at the time I stood in the front of the Old Stand enclosure, and he always said hello to me. I loved Sundays as a kid - the highlight was The Big Match and Brian Moore in the afternoon. The best commentator ever, RIP Brian you will be missed.

Vinny
02-09-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by wighteagle
I loved Sundays as a kid - the highlight was The Big Match and Brian Moore in the afternoon. The best commentator ever, RIP Brian you will be missed.

Couldn't agree more.

This sad news has taken the shine off what started out as a very happy day.
God bless you Brian.

Wedgy
02-09-2001, 01:55 PM
This news is made even more sad by the fact he missed one of the best England performances in recent times by a matter of hours.

Dave
02-09-2001, 01:59 PM
Gone but not forgotten

bruciebonus
02-09-2001, 02:29 PM
Very sad news.

Met him outside Brisbane Road in 1979 just before the game, which we needed to win, He was praying for a Palace win, so more London clubs were in the 1st Division.

We duly won 1-0 and set up the fantastic promotion game against Burnley.

Codoleneces to his family.

JohnA
02-09-2001, 03:02 PM
He was a decent guy. Its a great shame.

congress
02-09-2001, 04:10 PM
I always remember the commentary he done for the home leg of the play off game versus Blackburn.He nicked the famous World Cup quote"There are some people on the pitch, they think its all over, it is now" as Ian Wright headed the ball into the net.Still gives me shivers thinking about it.
You had a good one Brian,RIP.

ozzieEagle
02-09-2001, 04:32 PM
**** **** ****, dammit i swear that bloke had a soft spot for palace.

mind you it has been a worrying week, all my contemparys are karking it,

over here twas, Shirley Straughn, (outta skyhooks), and Ted mullery,
(Out of the Ted Mullery Gang),

Makes One feel quiet old, does this kinda news

Psychokiller
02-09-2001, 06:46 PM
He was certainly the best commentator of my generation. I remember he always used to say that if he was offered a season ticket to watch any team in the country it would be Palace because we're always either fighting for promotion, relegation, to reach cup finals or simply to stay alive and there's never a dull moment. Sort of sums up what Palace is all about!

May he rest in peace.

philaire
02-09-2001, 06:50 PM
As a far-flung supporter, this is indeed sad news, as Brian Moore very much provided my introduction to English football and Crystal Palace. When the ABC picked up The Big Match in the early 70s, it was Moore above anyone else bringing Palace to me. Maybe I was imagining it, but in those days at least he seemed to have some genuine affection for Palace. I recall a piece he wrote for the Big Match annual about the long day he spent with Palace supporters and Malcom Allison travelling up to Sunderland for the 1976 6th round cup win. Such memories; he is sadly missed.

Pistike
02-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Couldnt agree Moore with all your sentiments.

Easily my favourite commentator and someone who always treated our club respectfully.

DiscoDaveyf
02-09-2001, 07:12 PM
Am really sad to hear about Brian Moore's passing... he was a good commentator and always came across as a real football nut. I will always remember his commentary on the palace play off win at home to blackburn, he genuinely sounded as tough he was pleased palace had won.

You will be missed Bri!!

PJ
02-09-2001, 07:13 PM
I'll always remember him by the words "here's the bit I like, with the outside of the boot" when describing the replay of Pardew's knock-on to Ian Wright for the 1st goal in the play-off final against Blackburn.

cpfc_connection
02-09-2001, 07:30 PM
after hearing this sad news, wouldnt it be appropriate to have a 1 minute silence in the memory of brain moore? this man was a legend in his own right and well i think it would be fitting for football as a whole 2 show their appreciation to the man who showed so much passion for the game, R.I.P and thank u.

E.X Moontoad
02-09-2001, 09:30 PM
Very sad news.I too grew in the early 70s up with Brian and 'The Big Match' on Sunday afternoons. I guess the programme did as much as anything to get me interested in Football as there was'nt much of it on TV those days and I was'nt allowed to stay up and watch Match Of The Day!
Brian was a great commentator with a real passion for the game and as a person came across as someone of genuine warmth and decency.
Condolences to his family ofcourse.I certainly feel that a one minutes silence would be more than appropriate to express the regard and respect that Football undoubtably holds for Brian Moore.

mole
02-09-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista
Many may not realise it, but this is also very sad news for Palace fans.
I have been lucky enough to have met the great man a number of times, because, for many years, he had been a great supporter of the Disabled Kids Xmas Party at Selhurst.

Couldn't agree with you more Stellavista. He was a great supporter of the party for many many years and charity work in general. I was fortunate enough on many occasions to meet the great man.
I like many 30 something’s grew up with Sunday lunch and the sound of the Big Match in the background.
The media world today is littered with over egoed characters who refuse to work with this or that etc etc... whatever the situation he would work around it. He even sat on orange crates to commentate on a match because he didn't have a chair !
The world of sport has truly lost a great man.
I think the ultimate tribute was paid today by Bob Wilson. He said that no one ever had a bad word to say about him. In this day and age that's incredible.
Our thoughts go out to his family on this sad day.
Hopefully in the future perhaps we could remember this great man by means of a football trophy or fair play award of some kind.
It would be a fitting gesture me thinks.

Teggers
02-09-2001, 09:52 PM
From curling up as a child on Sunday afternoons to shouting at his (as I saw it) shameless Arsenal bias as an angry young man, Brian Moore was a legend. I remember him phoning into a five live morning chat show just as a listener. It was amazing to hear the reverance with with the presenter spoke to him once it had sunk in that one of the greatest ever sports broadcasters had phoned in for a chat.
I can't help but feel the passing of time. I've known the image and voice of Brian since I was a boy and now he's gone. Suddenly I feel a shade older.
Deepest sympathies to his family.
May his soul be safe in heaven 'fore the Devil knows he's dead.

Palace Don
02-09-2001, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Vic Eagle
Brian Moore was quite simply an institution...I guess many of us grew up with him as one of the most respected commentators/anchormen in the game.

I liked the bit when he said Alan Pardew knocking it in with the outside of the boot was the bit he liked....wore out the video:rolleyes:

RIP

Vic Eagle. You beat me to it. That was a classic bit of commentary.

What a very sad day it is. He was a truely top bloke. RIP Brian. You will be missed!

Martin Searle
03-09-2001, 12:23 AM
I agree with all that's gone before re. disabled kids party, his soft spot for Palace, the Pardew commentary etc. I think a minute's silence is definitely in order (gawd knows we did it for Venables' Dad) - in fact throughout the League.

bert head is god
03-09-2001, 02:12 AM
Only just heard the news. Very very sad. As has been mentioned many times, while Gillingham was his first love, I always felt that Palace was right up there. He was the best. Whenever I see or hear him I think of the smell of my mum's gravy as she made Sunday lunch. I beleive he was mates with Peter Taylor right back to the days when he would appear on the Xmas specials doing his Norman Wisdom impersonations.

RIP Brian. You will never be forgotten.

Stonewall_Jackson
03-09-2001, 02:20 AM
Have got his book about his life story,a very interestig read.Recomended! Although Palace dont get a big mention. And yes the big match on sunday afternoons was a factor in my being an eagle in the first place,R.I.P.

firesign
03-09-2001, 02:20 AM
Very sad news - also sadly the death of a type of commentator that we need more than ever. I wonder what he really though of much of today's footie on telly. It would be nice if the club could pay its respects in some way.

SE20
03-09-2001, 02:35 AM
His soft spot for Palace was probably because he lived round Bromley somewhere I think. I don't know where, but he was a regular player at Shortlands golf club.

RDSdaEAGLE
03-09-2001, 02:42 AM
Brian Moore was a brilliant commentator...he provided people with commentary which others could only dream about. Whilst Motson and others are consistently good, he was outstanding for every match.

He also enjoyed his job, and he let people know. The fact that he didn't retire until he was in his 70's (I think) shows that he was committed to his viewers, and that ITV knew they had a real gem.

It's another sad day for everybody connected with football.

Rest in peace Brian Moore, you deserve to.

mike
03-09-2001, 03:04 AM
Thanks Brian, you were the best!

Neil the Eagle
04-09-2001, 03:23 AM
Found out about this late yesterday night upon landing at Heathrow.

Like bruciebonus, I too met Brian at Brisbane Road that day. He was standing in the sun signing autographs with a word for everyone.

I was fortunate enough to meet him several times thereafter whilst working on the TV side of the club. Always pleasant, always a gentleman (unlike some of his peers in TV Commentary).

Palace have lost a good friend.

RIP Brian

Paul Stevens
04-09-2001, 12:25 PM
Sad, sad news. I would endorse everything said on this thread so far.

The man was a great ambassador for football and sadly one of only a few. He hardly ever had a bad word to say about a player, manager or even referee. He would prefer to say "he will not be pleased about that"

I recall, sometime in the 70's when the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, Forest were doing so well, him being asked "where would you, apart from Gillingham, like to have a season ticket?"

His answer "Crystal Palace, they are always involved in some form of relegation or promotion battle".

Nothing changes.

Thank you Mr Moore. RIP

Ruskin Old Boy
04-09-2001, 02:38 PM
It put a dampener on Saturday night's celebrations; like many others in this thread it's so sad that he missed England's win.

I had the pleasure of travelling back with him from Sunderland in 1976 after THAT win - he was sitting quietly in the players coach but more than happy to share his love of football with a total stranger (also a little pi**sed) and talk about how much he enjoyed watching Palace (and Gillingham of course).

A really nice guy who will be sadly missed.

Maidstoned Eagle
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
My computer, or the BBS quantum leaped again.

I still miss Brian Moore though. :(

Chester
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
RIP one of the true great commentators. Just the sound of his voice takes me back to first watching football and "the good old days"

RIP one of the good guys :(

crystal essex
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Good God has Brian died again.

jookbeard
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
The best ever Twatty Motson could not even hold his mic

Dorking .Eagle
08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
What's a lovely looking dog like that doing at a place like this?

Here comes Rogers, this could be their greatest day, could it be five, it's gonna be five, IT IS FIVE!

He hit it with the outside of the boot! That's the part I like!

Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham and the rest, we're on our way to meet you now!

RIP, a great friend of the Palace (a great father Christmas at the disabled kids parties!)

NZsparky
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
That is bloody unlucky, dying twice in 7 years

Highbury Eagle
08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
I'll always remember the Arsenal Liverpool match 1989. 'It's up for grabs now.....'

stupalace
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I thought it was the rugby player

GeeTee
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I'll always remember the Arsenal Liverpool match 1991. 'It's up for grabs now.....'

But forget the year ;)

Highbury Eagle
08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
But forget the year ;)

Edited and :bash: :bash:

Timbo
08-11-2008, 09:17 PM
IDNKHWD

RIP