PDA

View Full Version : Dowie's 'subdued' Punch Yesterday

welshneil
23-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Did anyone else think ID was rather less than enthusiastic about our win yesterday?

I know it wasn't your classic match but I rather got the impression that was because he'd told the players to go out and not get injured! Or was he, maybe, a bit miffed at the fans?

Any ideas anybody?

Ben H
23-04-2006, 08:08 AM
I reckon it means he's unhappy and wants to leave. :rolleyes:

Maidstoned Eagle
23-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Perhaps he's hurt his shoulder.

Ben H
Or maybe he's just bored with doing the stupid punch, game in game out. Blimey, let's all look for reasons for x,y,z, being unhappy about something. I heard that Darren Ward stormed out of the ground yesterday.:rolleyes:

jordanismygod
Originally posted by welshneil
I rather got the impression that was because he'd told the players to go out and not get injured!

Eh?

I think he was miffed by the fans and the refs performance.

welshneil
23-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jordanismygod
Eh?

They hardly got stuck in did they! ID obviously wants a fit squad for the play offs.

Yeh I'd tend to agree with this. the ref was absolutely dire (for both teams!) and I felt the Southampton fans were superb.

Batsta
23-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
Or maybe he's just bored with doing the stupid punch, game in game out.

If only.

Eye-dee
23-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle

I can sympathise with that :sob:

eagle_ali9
23-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Or maybe he's just bored with doing the stupid punch, game in game out. Blimey, let's all look for reasons for x,y,z, being unhappy about something. I heard that Darren Ward stormed out of the ground yesterday.:rolleyes:

Darren ward was signing autographs after the match looking happy. I don't think there was a problem there.

As for Dowie's punch, LAME! thats the best bit about our wins when he does that. If he's bored of it then I think he should liven it up a bit with a back flip leading into a punch.

c_block_lad
23-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Did anyone else think ID was rather less than enthusiastic about our win yesterday?

I know it wasn't your classic match but I rather got the impression that was because he'd told the players to go out and not get injured! Or was he, maybe, a bit miffed at the fans?

Any ideas anybody?

We havent achieved anything yet, the real work is about to start.

rambo
23-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
We havent achieved anything yet, the real work is about to start.

Quite. In normal circumstances there would also have been a lap of honour after the match, as our last home league game (tho with the mood on here I'm not sure what reception they'd have got!). But as with the last two years, there's unfinished business and it's good to keep everything low key.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Didn't look like the punch of someone who was trying to suggest we should be working as hard as ever to finish as high as possible!

TommyEagle
23-04-2006, 11:36 AM

What? Clinton's hurt his shoulder? :eek:

Maidstoned Eagle
23-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by TommyEagle
What? Clinton's hurt his shoulder? :eek:

No, but Dowie might have.

Thanet Eagle
23-04-2006, 02:09 PM
It was a limp fisting from Dowie. He is just resting it for the Millenium stadium ,which will see the mother of all fistings !

mik59
23-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by eagle_ali9
If [Dowie's] bored of [the fisting] then I think he should liven it up a bit with a back flip leading into a punch. Excellent, so many variations are possible. He's not doing his job properly IMO until he starts to do some decent work on that celebration.

TommyEagle
23-04-2006, 02:26 PM
No, but Dowie might have.

Apologies - I knew what you meant, I was just making reference to the old BBS joke about Clinton's injured shoulder!

Maidstoned Eagle
23-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by TommyEagle
Apologies - I knew what you meant, I was just making reference to the old BBS joke about Clinton's injured shoulder!

So was I.

Chester 76
23-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Any ideas anybody?
The celebration has been subdued all season.
Also Southampton are one of his former clubs.

Chas
23-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Or maybe he's just bored with doing the stupid punch, game in game out. Blimey, let's all look for reasons for x,y,z, being unhappy about something. I heard that Darren Ward stormed out of the ground yesterday.:rolleyes: I could see if we actually won most of our games, that he'd be bored of it.

Ian
23-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Some players don't celebrate scoring against former clubs, e.g. Matt Jansen v Palace, AJ v Brum.

Dowie being ex-Saints, maybe he didn't want to make a big thing of celebrating victory?

If he had a point to make, e.g. being pissed off with perceived lack of crowd support, he'd have done better to skip the fisting altogether.

Duffle Coat
23-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Tension is telling. Expectations are very high and I guess he feels that. His interview after the Burnley game on the Podcast showed how tense he was. It is difficult for him. You can hear how much it means. I can imagine it is very draining. Hope we see the genuine article in the play-offs and feel sure we will.

Al Carew
23-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Someone's told him about Trevor Francis doing it once when his reserve goalkeeper got in the way.

welshneil
24-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76
Also Southampton are one of his former clubs.
This is an excellent point which I'd completely forgotten!

screamingalice
24-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Eh?

I was mifed by the teams performance! Indeed I have been mifed about the teams and Dowies performance for most of the season.

The punch was great last year and on the promotion run in 04' but sometimes this season its been embarrasing, we have won, but with out any style or pleasure. Save it for Cardiff.

BBD
24-04-2006, 01:00 PM
His 'punches' ever since the first one at Ipswich come from the heart and he knew we hadn't put in a classic performance (all part of the master plan). It would have been disingenuous of him to put a 'proper' one in after the performance. He should definitely get the two young sprogs down for the play offs so we can enjoy the Dowie family all celebrating. Let's have supreme faith now and start believing that we are going up. The alternative is too awful to contemplate. We'll worry about the consequences of going up later!

Am I the only one that thinks that we need an alternative referance than 'the Dowie fist' although I did like the description of Thanet Eagle's '...limp fisting...'!