PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's Advertiser (28/04/06) ...

La Bombonera
27-04-2006, 06:30 PM
“"Big J-o-h-h-h-h-h-n … "

Ooh what an eventful week for two-Jags or two-shags as he's now known in the corridors of power (or wherever else he's spotted necking his bird). This weekend my Red & Blue friends we embark on our final league outing of the season before football's version of mass-hysteria sets in … or as you and I know it better, 'the play-offs'. But before all that it’s time to clock-up the Texaco points and head for South Yorkshire and yet another sparring session with the leering Doddyalike that is one, Neil Warnock.

Last Saturday we basked in South London's glorious sunshine as we exorcised those Southampton demons. Who said anything about this time last season? I haven’t forgiven that lot for '76 yet. Not a pretty sight seeing a skulking young lad in a lurid tank-top led out of the Bridge by his father amidst the throng of celebrating Hampshire folk. Has defeat got any easier? Err, no. And the tank-top doesn’t fit either :(

So while John zipped up and headed home, what else happened? The Queen celebrated her 80th by inviting those of a likewise age to her place for Lambrini and Twiglets (“now wipe one’s feet or I’ll have you incarcerated” :clown: ) … Cherie Blair disputed claims she wasted public money on lavish hair-care (you mean she wants to look like that? Crikey :eek: ) … gyrating geriatric Tom Jones declared his joy at being knighted by the Queen (he should be grateful it was only her sword she flung in his direction and not her … err, ahem. Maybe not) … experts say that as far back as the early 1800’s literacy rates were almost 87% (eevun in Sowf Burmunzee?) … Jade Goody failed to finish the London Marathon having trained just four times while maintaining her daily intake of fry-ups and takeaways (wouldn’t fancy being downwind of that for a few miles :hmph: ) … and John Prescott declared it was time to behave like an adult and let his politics do the talking (which roughly means mention a certain little indiscretion and he’ll thump you :D )

In this week’s big Northern love-God of an Adder; Tommy's reckons he's a man for all for all seasons - "Black won't be ignored" and "Black aiming to get back in contention for play-off battle" ... while Clinton's looking to play his part too - "Morrison make strong case" ... and Danny's timed his comeback well for the play-offs - "Butts back in the groove" ... the midfield pocket-rocket tells of his pride seeing his little 'un out on the pitch last Saturday - "It's child's play for Hughes the elder" ... a look ahead to Sunday's trek to Bramall Lane - "Palace sharpen up for Blades" (geddit? :cool: ) ... Croydon's buffest OAP gives us the low down - "Fitness fanatic Harbin is talking a good game" ... Dowie's Diary - "No play-off preference" ... Reserve team roundup - "Young guns left cursing luck and missed chances" ... while the Ladies have also been in action - "Ladies suffer heartbreak as Chelsea claim Surrey Cup (NO celebrating in Wallington if you please :grrr: ) ... The Selhurst spy's got some tasty titbits - "Palace set to go Stateside" and "Dad's club boost ranks" ... Laurie Dahl's column - "Negative? I'm just nervous" and "No place for Palace stars in Championship side" (their loss Laurie ;) ) ... The Big Issue poses a telling question to four more fans ... Palace Mailbag ... Palace Pundits ... and is he winding down for the summer or just about cranking up for the play-offs? Its That Nice Mr Glazier says ...

Nearly there now my friends. Not long until it’ll (hopefully) culminate in a day of ale-laden joy in sunny Cardiff once again … eh West Ham? Oh no, that’s right you lost. Silly me ;)

Be Red & Blue, be Palace and be Proud :p

"Big, bad John! … "

TonbridgeEagle
27-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice one La bomb :p

MicksSis
27-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Where was that picture taken? - I have only just recently realised you are married to 'Blue Bear' - I remember that poor bear (not Clare) being dumped in the corner of the office:( - Clare took him home, didn't she?

La Bombonera
27-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by MicksSis
Where was that picture taken? - I have only just recently realised you are married to 'Blue Bear' - I remember that poor bear (not Clare) being dumped in the corner of the office:( - Clare took him home, didn't she?
That's me mate. And yes, Blue Bear is safe and sound at La Bomb towers!

Which Dept. were you? :p

Ruskin Old Boy
27-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Top stuff La B - but is there a tank top in existence which would fit Big bad John?

MicksSis
27-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by La Bombonera
That's me mate. And yes, Blue Bear is safe and sound at La Bomb towers!

Which Dept. were you? :p

I worked in Newspaper Sales - with Nigel Ireland. I was not office based though.
I was a Merchandiser and also worked with Promotions (there are probably loads of pictures of me floating around there, wearing silly t-shirts and hats)- I was at the Advertiser for 7 years. It is (so I hear) very different there now.

La Bombonera
27-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Top stuff La B - but is there a tank top in existence which would fit Big bad John?
LOL. Ruskin gold :p

trufan
27-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MicksSis
I was at the Advertiser for 7 years.

When was that, then? Eighties? Nineties? I did eight years there myself! :hi:

c_block_lad
27-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Ladies suffer heartbreak as Chelsea claim Surrey Cup (NO celebrating in Wallington if you please :grrr: )
"[/B] [/B]

Here, here.

:p

Typical Palace
27-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I must say Mr Glazier is more witty these days. Got more to say for himself too. A touch engrossed in the physical side but good entertainment.

JohnA
27-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Very funny & a personal touch for the end of the season.

La Bomb Gold :D

For the season La Bomb (& Blue Bear) Triple Platinum. :p

TheCharmer
28-04-2006, 02:08 AM
for those of us who can't get the addy, what s the Palace go Stateside story?

King William
28-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by TheCharmer

i think theres something about them going to canada for pre season

TheCharmer
28-04-2006, 05:26 AM
interesting change of venue

La Bombonera
28-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
They're visitng Virginia Beach Sportsplex (presume that's Amercian for 'Sports Complex' ;) ), as of 19th July and due to play Virginia Beach Mariners on the 22nd.

To check out the opposition : http://www.marinerssoccer.com/

:p

Away Day Eagle
28-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Outstanding work again Sean.

The season wouldn't be the same some how without your reviews.

As i said before, you do spoil us.

But being spoilt I like.

Cheers Fella.

Great reference to 76 as well.

Shame I blew out the shirt parade - I'm sure you would have guessed what I would have done considering the opposition.

La Bombonera
28-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
Shame I blew out the shirt parade - I'm sure you would have guessed what I would have done considering the opposition.
Absolutely Nigel. Your Roman Emporer 'thumbs-down' is already an iconic part of a Saturday night's entertainment in The Arms :p

Away Day Eagle
28-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Absolutely Nigel. Your Roman Emporer 'thumbs-down' is already an iconic part of a Saturday night's entertainment in The Arms :p

Just practicising for Cardiff.(He hopes in non-arrogant Shammers way)

The Fedoras are on me :p :cool: :afro:

La Bombonera
28-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Just practicising for Cardiff.(He hopes in non-arrogant Shammers way)

The Fedoras are on me :p :cool: :afro:
If it happens mate (again, non-Shammer's smugness), I'll have the camera at the ready! :p

Away Day Eagle
28-04-2006, 08:33 AM
If it happens mate (again, non-Shammer's smugness), I'll have the camera at the ready! :p

You'll also be wearing one fella if I've got anything to do with it.

I'm sure your arm can be twisted :p :D

La Bombonera
28-04-2006, 08:37 AM
You'll also be wearing one fella if I've got anything to do with it.

I'm sure your arm can be twisted :p :D
Oh yes! And I'm partial to a cigar on special occasions :p

Away Day Eagle
28-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh yes! And I'm partial to a cigar on special occasions :p

Excellent

Malakite
28-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Great post La Bomb and class pic, brings back great memories..(hopefully to soon be repeated!)

sydnsteve
28-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Mad as a hatter, LaBomb, and all the better for it! Cheers for that. Here's hoping for a RednBlue Cardiff.

La Bombonera
28-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Mad as a hatter, LaBomb, and all the better for it! Cheers for that. Here's hoping for a RednBlue Cardiff.
I'm crossing everything for a big-day out :p

MicksSis
29-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by trufan
When was that, then? Eighties? Nineties? I did eight years there myself! :hi:

I think I started there in September 95 or 96 but my memory is a bit hazy - I worked at the building which is now a storage company (Shurguard?). I moved further up the Brighton Road and stayed there until August '04.

trufan
29-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Ah. I left in 1989, so never made the move from the old building. Missed you by the best part of a decade! :eek: :)