PDA

View Full Version : Do we overestimate the pulling power of CPFC??

Radders
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
As we seem to be in the middle of silly season on the BBS with regard to all these players who will die to sign for us, does anybody think like me in that there are many on here who think we are a bigger draw and in fact a bigger club than we actually are??

I mean, we haven't even ko'd the first leg against Watford yet and all Birmingham & West Broms players are on our shopping list already. Are we a bigger club than those two is my first question? Are we a bigger draw than Sheffield United & Reading? Do we have better facilities, a better ground and a better chance of staying up (or in Brum & West Broms case GOING up?? - after all, we may still be in the Championship with them!!!)

Speculating is fine and I hope of course we do go up, establish ourselves and get a shiny new ground but we are a yo-yo side historically and have a ground which could do with a facelift to say the least, I think personally these are 2 major reasons that will se us struggle to attract real quality whatever division we are in.

Amen.

AJ1969
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
If we could pull 50 odd thousand in the 70's why can't we do it now? (excepting stadium capacity that is)

smileysmith
02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Radders
Speculating is fine and I hope of course we do go up, establish ourselves and get a shiny new ground but we are a yo-yo side historically and have a ground which could do with a facelift to say the least, I think personally these are 2 major reasons that will se us struggle to attract real quality whatever division we are in. Nail, head, the, on, hit.

Arrange in the correct order.

Radders
02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by AJ1969
If we could pull 50 odd thousand in the 70's why can't we do it now? (excepting stadium capacity that is)

Talking about the attraction to players rather than fans. Our fanbase is good, I don't doubt that but are we we as big as some seem to think???

The staduim capacity (or lack of it) is the reality of the situation though.

Voldo
02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Pretty spot on i would say...but once the ground is sorted, whenever that may be, we will pull in a greater crowd and recieve greater attention, all leading up to better players in the team which should have a knock on effect to destroy the yo-yo tag.

Then and only then i would suggest we will grow as a club. Our glory days have been long gone now, but we are pushing for them again. Dowie and Johnson alone have raised our profile in recent years, forcing people to look at us as a growing club and a threat (especially in The Championship) IMO

se1eagle
02-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Nail, head, the, on, hit.

Hit head on the nail? :)

brb rule
02-05-2006, 03:59 PM
We are West Ham, we deserve to be a premiership side whatever.

Radders
02-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Voldo
Pretty spot on i would say...but once the ground is sorted, whenever that may be, we will pull in a greater crowd and recieve greater attention, all leading up to better players in the team which should have a knock on effect to destroy the yo-yo tag.

Then and only then i would suggest we will grow as a club. Our glory days have been long gone now, but we are pushing for them again. Dowie and Johnson alone have raised our profile in recent years, forcing people to look at us as a growing club and a threat (especially in The Championship) IMO

Would only disagree with one thing, the yo-yo thing is not so much a tag but a fact!

Palace Dan
02-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Nail the head hit on? :clown:

Voldo
02-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Would only disagree with one thing, the yo-yo thing is not so much a tag but a fact!

Yes that is true, or at least it will be true again if we go up and do not survive. I called it a tag as we had the spell between 1998-2004 outside of the Premiership after much yo-yoing, but yes you are correct

FACT

917L
02-05-2006, 04:25 PM

The staduim capacity (or lack of it) is the reality of the situation though.

How does stadium capacity affect us?

We seldom fill what we have so why would having more seats attract more fans?

I appreciate that a new ground with better facilities would help but what real impact do the ground and its facilities have on football supprters? (excluding the obvious corporate and prawn sandwich brigade)

Ben H
02-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I think all fans overestimate the pulling power of their clubs.

norwood_girl
02-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't want a new ground. Palace is the club it is and has the support it does because it is in the heart of the community. I don't want an identikit stadium on the edge of town. We don't sell out what we have very often, not sure we would with a larger capacity.

Melfort Eagle
02-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I agree with Norwood girl. I dont really want a new 40000 plastic fishbowl of a ground. We did used to get high attendences in the 1970, but todays yoof decide either to not support a team, or support ManUre or Chelski.
New grounds these days all seem to be about corporate cr*p. Would you rather have your ground called 'Selhurst Park' or what ever it may be called in the future, or have it called 'GAC Logistics Arena' or something else stupid that sucks the soul out of the team and ground.

David Amsalem
02-05-2006, 04:56 PM
We should have signed Bullard.

;)

Radders
02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 917L
How does stadium capacity affect us?

We seldom fill what we have so why would having more seats attract more fans?

I appreciate that a new ground with better facilities would help but what real impact do the ground and its facilities have on football supprters? (excluding the obvious corporate and prawn sandwich brigade)

I am not talking about attracting fans but more attracting players. Perhaps you make my point for me by saying we hardly ever fill the 28000 seats we have.

Addressing your point though, I think having a nice ground to visit every week would make a difference to a lot of people.

Radders
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Melfort Eagle
I agree with Norwood girl. I dont really want a new 40000 plastic fishbowl of a ground. We did used to get high attendences in the 1970, but todays yoof decide either to not support a team, or support ManUre or Chelski.
New grounds these days all seem to be about corporate cr*p. Would you rather have your ground called 'Selhurst Park' or what ever it may be called in the future, or have it called 'GAC Logistics Arena' or something else stupid that sucks the soul out of the team and ground.

I agree with yourself and Norwood girl to a certain extent. I love Selhurst but IF we want to move on as a club then surely we need better facilities and ultimately a better ground?? If we want to be a yo-yo maybe club then Selhurst forever (thats assuming Noades doesn't sell it and we have to share with Millwall!)

917L
02-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I am not talking about attracting fans but more attracting players. Perhaps you make my point for me by saying we hardly ever fill the 28000 seats we have.

Addressing your point though, I think having a nice ground to visit every week would make a difference to a lot of people.

I can see how it may appeal to players, but dont think that Coventry Leicester or Derby all who have better grounds than us have more pulling power in that direction, its usually the current achievement(+ potential) of the team that makes a player more inclined to sign (along with the right contract salary etc)

I dont believe that having a nicer ground would affect the gate subsatntially, though it would be nice to be proved wrong.

PhilD
02-05-2006, 05:19 PM
No club is bigger than the division they reside within and at the moment we're a Championship club with no more than a chance of becoming anything more this season. Whilst we remain in this division we are no more of an attraction than a lot of other Championship clubs and whilst the parachute payments will ensure we retain a bit more financial clout, that won't last beyond next season.

If we were to go up then I think we'd be in a better position to attract players than Reading and Sheffield United, purely because we've got more recent top flight experience, would probably have a higher wage structure and are London based. We'd also be in a position to look at trying to pinch players from the three relegated clubs, but if we're still in the Championship I can't see any of their players being keen to join us unless they're unwanted because it would be, at best, a sideways move.

Radders
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I can see how it may appeal to players, but dont think that Coventry Leicester or Derby all who have better grounds than us have more pulling power in that direction, its usually the current achievement(+ potential) of the team that makes a player more inclined to sign (along with the right contract salary etc)

I dont believe that having a nicer ground would affect the gate subsatntially, though it would be nice to be proved wrong.

Not trying to be picky but if you read my initial post that states the sort of teams we will be competing against promoted or not. I.E. Brum, WBA, Sheff U and Reading. (perhaps Sunderland too) The three you have mentioned I agree, decent stadia but not going anywhere. I just think of the ones we ARE competing against for player signatures we are the least attractive option with what we have to offer in that department.

As for the fans thing, personally, I think long term, having a good stadium rather than a shithole would encourage more fans on a regular basis and as much as I love it, parts of Selhurst can come into the shithole category!! I hate opposition fans slagging off Selhurst but most of the time it's a 'truth hurts' hate.

PhilD
02-05-2006, 05:22 PM

If we were to move to a new stadium or re-develop Selhurst to a decent standard then I think we'd be able to add about 5k onto our average gate almost over night. There are enough examples of this throughout the football league. If you build it they will come.

Radders
02-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
No club is bigger than the division they reside within and at the moment we're a Championship club with no more than a chance of becoming anything more this season. Whilst we remain in this division we are no more of an attraction than a lot of other Championship clubs and whilst the parachute payments will ensure we retain a bit more financial clout, that won't last beyond next season.

If we were to go up then I think we'd be in a better position to attract players than Reading and Sheffield United, purely because we've got more recent top flight experience, would probably have a higher wage structure and are London based. We'd also be in a position to look at trying to pinch players from the three relegated clubs, but if we're still in the Championship I can't see any of their players being keen to join us unless they're unwanted because it would be, at best, a sideways move.

Agree with paragraph 1. :p

If you are a mercenary footballer (as so many are who sign for recently promoted clubs, some who turn out to be good, others not so good) you want a team that has a big groung, big support and a chance of staying up. Our support is on a par with Sheff Utd and pisses on Readings IMO. Our ground and facilities are not on a par with the other two and Readings 100+ points and Sheff Utd's comfortable second place would be enough to suggest to would be signings, that they were better off there and not with us IMO.

I really hope my gut feeling is way off on this but I just dunno!!

Justin
02-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I was half watching the West Brom game last night. At one stage they were quizzing Dowie about the fact the West Brom chairman had been out of the country recently and also the fact they didnt sign anyone in January. On the first point he admitted that was strange and that he Jordan and everyone else had sat down last season to make sure as the season got tense everyone was saying the same thing. Very sensible and I think it proves there is a good working relationshi pbetween the two. On the transfer front he also said there appeared to be differences between the two clubs. He stated that we had the money last season to buy new players in the January and that that had not been the issue - getting them to sign was the problem.

Radders
02-05-2006, 05:27 PM
If you build it they will come.

Well said Mr Costner!:D

PhilD
02-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Well said Mr Costner!:D

:D

Ex_M40Eagle
02-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Because it was so much easier for the floating / occasional fan to go to football then, you just decided to go and payed your cash on the turnstile, how nostalgic that seems now!
We have more ST holders than then and the floaters that fell away never returned or been replaced - probably because its too much aggro and too expensive without a ST.
Even in the best times our ave gate was around 29,000 so compared to our prem ave of say 22000 its not quite as bad as it seems?

c_block_lad
02-05-2006, 05:37 PM
The club will not never develop fully untill we move away/do up our current cesspit shithole of a "Ground".

PeterH
02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree with you Radders, always have on this point. We are not a fashionable draw. How we got Lombardo was a miracle, he must have been disappointed when he got here. No wonder Coppell was over the moon.

Think about Wayne, Jules and Brucie. Think about Andy Gray, (twice and Ian Wright leaving for Arsenal and then not coming back when we were in for him. Think about Bassett. Think about players that we have been in for and have decided to go elsewhere. Perhaps they are all c unts, perhaps its our image that is a problem. It is disappointing, but not uncommon to see a player that obviously has itchy feet the moment they put on a Palace shirt. Julian Gray didn't want to be at Palace from the first moment on that pitch at Crawley, he saw it has a huge step down from Arsenal. To be fair he was probably right, but what gets the fans is that this attitude shows a lot of lack of respect to us that pay their wages. Routledge was accepted more, because he was home grown. I know that Gray was an outstanding player that we sorely miss, but he brought a lot of derision on himself from the moment he sullenly kicked a ball in a Palace shirt. The fact that his attitude rubbed off on eager young Wayne also did us no favours.

PhilD
02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Agree with paragraph 1. :p

If you are a mercenary footballer (as so many are who sign for recently promoted clubs, some who turn out to be good, others not so good) you want a team that has a big groung, big support and a chance of staying up. Our support is on a par with Sheff Utd and pisses on Readings IMO. Our ground and facilities are not on a par with the other two and Readings 100+ points and Sheff Utd comfortable second place would be enough to suggest to would be signings that they were better off there and not with us IMO.

I really hope my gut feeling is way off on this but I just dunno!!

I think all that Reading have got on us is the ground (which incidentally is still smaller than SP). Palace have always been a far bigger club than them and should we go up, then I hope we'd be more than a match for them in the transfer market. Sheffield United would be more equal and they can fit 30k into Bramall Lane, but the pull of London would work in our favour, especially with regard foreign players. Take Sorrondo and Ventola for example, I would imagine that living in London was a big factor them when agreeing to join Palace.

Additionally Ward and Morrison chose to join us over Norwich last summer so we must have something on them!

limited_edition
02-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I agree with yourself and Norwood girl to a certain extent. I love Selhurst but IF we want to move on as a club then surely we need better facilities and ultimately a better ground?? If we want to be a yo-yo maybe club then Selhurst forever (thats assuming Noades doesn't sell it and we have to share with Millwall!) Charlton have shown you can transform a former shithole into a nice modern ground. Well, apart from the away end ! Still, we might not have a choice with Noadesy as landlord. Or the residents local objecting to us redeveloping the ground because it "blocks the light". We might have to start again from scratch with a new ground to avoid these problems, or even redevelop the NSC.

leonard1style
02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I think the main reason we don't get as many fans as we could, is because of the sky high prices, and they're that high because SJ has to give Noades some of the gate money, so if we buy SP the ticket prices will go down and we'll attract a lot more of the fans that just can't afford to come down now.

Justin
02-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Times have changed (sadly).

Think of Wimbledon in the 70s with Dickie Guy. Over 40,000 turned up at Selhurst to watch a non league team play Leeds.

Freddy Kurz
02-05-2006, 06:29 PM

The only time we ever "pulled 50 odd thousand"*, was on 11.5.79 for the
last Division Two game of the season v Burnley which determined
whether or not Palace would be promoted that night. It was a
"one-off" home game comparable only with the home second leg
of the Div.Two Play-off Final v Blackburn Rovers on 3.6.89, when
30,000 saw us overcome a 1-3 deficit to gain promotion.

Since then home gates have never exceeded 29,000 due to the
Sainsbury's development which drastically reduced the capacity
of the Whitehorse Lane end and Selhurst Park becoming an
all-seater stadium as a result of government crowd safety
legislation. The current ground capacity, restricted by
the Metropolitan Police is just 26,257.

*Several home gates of well over 40,000 were seen after Palace's
promotion to the old First Division under Bert Head,after the
construction of the Arthur Wait Stand and while standing on
the terraces was still permitted.

ET1
02-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Take the 20 Prem teams now,

then look at the teams in our league:

Sheff U, Leeds, Wolves, Coventry, Norwich, Soton, Ipswich, Leicester, Sheff Wed, Derby, and you can add Forest there as well. Most of these are all clubs that you could put a strong case forward for being bigger than us, when you look at stadiums, current attendances and past achievements.

Then add the likes of Watford, QPR, Hull, Reading, Preston, Stoke, Cardiff and Brighton are getting new stadiums, these are teams that could easily compete with us in the future when it comes to size/status/support/publicity, whatever...we have a battle just to stay in the top 35 clubs in England, never mind top 20 in the Premiership.

IMO obviously this won't change until something is done about our stadium. We could also do with attracting more fans, more youngsters, I don't think we are even in the top 12 in attendances in the Championship are we? That's why Jordan's rip off prices for single match tickets DO NOT HELP.

He said on Talksport he doesn't mind charging premium because some apparantly "turn up when they feel like it". Hasn't he ever heard of people working on Saturdays? People only being able to come to midweek games??

Has he ever heard in trying to attract support, like Charlton? He may not like Murray but he could learn a few things from him.

muswell eagle
02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
The difference in the 70s was that you could buy tickets out of your pocket money (inc a programme) and it was all first come first served to stand on cold terraces in the cold and rain.

Dillenger
03-05-2006, 09:31 AM
If we were to move to a new stadium or re-develop Selhurst to a decent standard then I think we'd be able to add about 5k onto our average gate almost over night.

not sure i want palace to attract the sort of fans who couldnt be arsed to come in the past, but decide to turn up because of a new stadium in Purley or Gatwick.

i couldnt give a toss about leaving selhurst - it's a bit shabby, but do you go to watch the football or marvel at the ergonomic design of some characterless identikit stadium and it's toilet facilities. at least selhurst's got a bit of character.

Radders
03-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Charlton have shown you can transform a former shithole into a nice modern ground. Well, apart from the away end ! Still, we might not have a choice with Noadesy as landlord. Or the residents local objecting to us redeveloping the ground because it "blocks the light". We might have to start again from scratch with a new ground to avoid these problems, or even redevelop the NSC.

I would be happy to redevelop and stay at Selhurst. If it was possible this would be the ideal scenario. We do need to do somthing with or about Selhurst though.

sydnsteve
03-05-2006, 11:24 AM

Hit the nail on head????????????

LP
03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Charlton are the perfect example of what can be achieved, they have 26,000 crowds and will soon be upping that to 30,000. We are traditionally a bigger club than them, it proves what sustained Premiership football, a decent ground and marketing yourself well as a club can do. I'd argue that we actually have a bigger potential catchment area than them. We shouldn't settle for what we have now.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
03-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I think it's all about the moolah. Portsmouth have a stadium that even Selhurst Park puts to shame, yet they still have no problem attracting decent players.

I think they're the exception to the rule though, and I'm sure the sight of the decrepid old stand, mirrored by the equally creaky Arthur Wait doesn't do a lot to inspire the players as they run out.

ANDYEAGLE
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM

The fact is our highest ever average was only around 30k and the capacity was more then. I think our potential pulling power supporter wise is limited and can never see us getting 25k whatever leaque we are in.

Of course most fans overestimate the pulling power of their club. We are no different. We are really a championship pulling side who can attract players in this leaque, but when it comes to the premier none of the better players want to know for one reason or other. That is why it was so difficult for ID to sign the players he really wanted last year and it will be difficult again next season. Just hope if we get up we avoid the secondary overseas players.

Pennyfather
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
If we were to move to a new stadium or re-develop Selhurst to a decent standard then I think we'd be able to add about 5k onto our average gate almost over night. There are enough examples of this throughout the football league. If you build it they will come.

That's spot on. I honestly don't know why some fans only appear with a shiny new ground but that is definately the case as almost all examples have proved.

Pennyfather
03-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ET1
Take the 20 Prem teams now,

then look at the teams in our league:

Sheff U, Leeds, Wolves, Coventry, Norwich, Soton, Ipswich, Leicester, Sheff Wed, Derby, and you can add Forest there as well. Most of these are all clubs that you could put a strong case forward for being bigger than us, when you look at stadiums, current attendances and past achievements.

Then add the likes of Watford, QPR, Hull, Reading, Preston, Stoke, Cardiff and Brighton are getting new stadiums, these are teams that could easily compete with us in the future when it comes to size/status/support/publicity, whatever...we have a battle just to stay in the top 35 clubs in England, never mind top 20 in the Premiership.

IMO obviously this won't change until something is done about our stadium. We could also do with attracting more fans, more youngsters, I don't think we are even in the top 12 in attendances in the Championship are we? That's why Jordan's rip off prices for single match tickets DO NOT HELP.

He said on Talksport he doesn't mind charging premium because some apparantly "turn up when they feel like it". Hasn't he ever heard of people working on Saturdays? People only being able to come to midweek games??

Has he ever heard in trying to attract support, like Charlton? He may not like Murray but he could learn a few things from him.

Whilst this is a little over dramatic I agree with your sentiments and we have fallen a long way behind the likes of Derby, Leicester, Southampton etc and we need to do something about it sooner rather than later. Like Radders I would much prefer to stay at a updated Selhurst Park than the horrible identikit stadia that most clubs have when they build from scratch.

Pennyfather
03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
not sure i want palace to attract the sort of fans who couldnt be arsed to come in the past, but decide to turn up because of a new stadium in Purley or Gatwick.

i couldnt give a toss about leaving selhurst - it's a bit shabby, but do you go to watch the football or marvel at the ergonomic design of some characterless identikit stadium and it's toilet facilities. at least selhurst's got a bit of character.

Spot on but unfortunately to progress the football club we need to attract these kind of idiots. Believe me I hate the thought of this as much as anyone and would personally prefer to stay as we are but it's out of our hands.

Radders
03-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Pennyfather
Spot on but unfortunately to progress the football club we need to attract these kind of idiots. Believe me I hate the thought of this as much as anyone and would personally prefer to stay as we are but it's out of our hands.

Yup!!

It's all part of moving forward as a club. We can't keep what we have, with the same 25/30k fans turning up and expect more success and Palace generally to be a more attractive proposition to players wanting a Premiership home.

Selhurst, the way it is now, is not up to scratch for top tier football wether we like it or not!!

Pennyfather
03-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Yup!!

It's all part of moving forward as a club. We can't keep what we have, with the same 25/30k fans turning up and expect more success and Palace generally to be a more attractive proposition to players wanting a Premiership home.

Selhurst, the way it is now, is not up to scratch for top tier football wether we like it or not!!

Agreed. :p

Dillenger
03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
i dont see there's anyway we could build a new stadium in our traditional area. the only realistic possibilities are around the m25, gatwick, surrey etc. if that happens i think attendances would actually drop and we would be selling out our tradition and real fanbase.

it's a non-starter. jordans only talking it up in an attempt to force noades arm about the lease. selhurst may be a bit of a dump, but i think it's a great ground to watch football in, with the fans being close to the pitch. i'd hate to see palace play in one of the new modern soul-less grounds, especially one in f*cking gatwick.

palace_burger
03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
when 50,000 plus turned up at Selhurst in the 70's did they all drive?

Where would everyone park these days?

Chas
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM
We are a Championship-plus team (or Premiership-minus). Not one of the 15 established names of English football, but one of those "fringe" team you see in the EPL every so often.I don't think we're seen as any more or less special than the other Championship-plus squads, like Sheffield, Norwich, West Brom, Leicester, Wolves, and more recently Leeds and Southampton.

Don't let the fact that you are a Palace fan sway you into believing that we're somehow special or different in that respect. In the eyes of many we're just another of those teams that randomly turns up with Premier League badges on our sleeves every once in a while.

Radders
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
i dont see there's anyway we could build a new stadium in our traditional area. the only realistic possibilities are around the m25, gatwick, surrey etc. if that happens i think attendances would actually drop and we would be selling out our tradition and real fanbase.

it's a non-starter. jordans only talking it up in an attempt to force noades arm about the lease. selhurst may be a bit of a dump, but i think it's a great ground to watch football in, with the fans being close to the pitch. i'd hate to see palace play in one of the new modern soul-less grounds, especially one in f*cking gatwick.

I don't think any of us really want to go to Gatwick but it's a question of ambition then isn't it?!

Do we want to be a yoyo team for ever or do what Charlton, Bolton and others have done??

Radders
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by palace_burger
when 50,000 plus turned up at Selhurst in the 70's did they all drive?

Where would everyone park these days?

There were Penny Farthing's all the way to Thornton Heath!!

Louis
03-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Do we overestimate the pulling power of CPFC?? Yes

A new 40,000 seater stadium would help though. Look at how popular the Holmesdale is compared with the Arthur Wait. And look at the crowds Derby and Leicester get with their new grounds.

917L
03-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't think any of us really want to go to Gatwick but it's a question of ambition then isn't it?!

Do we want to be a yoyo team for ever or do what Charlton, Bolton and others have done??

None of them moved their grounds (that far)away from their traditional support base though.

Unless we can get in at the NSC (my preferred option), which is unlikely due to Bromley councils intransigence, and Nimbyism, I think the only solution is to develop Selhust.

Radders
03-05-2006, 03:01 PM
None of them moved their grounds (that far)away from their traditional support base though.

Unless we can get in at the NSC (my preferred option), which is unlikely due to Bromley councils intransigence, and Nimbyism, I think the only solution is to develop Selhust.

Bolton moved from Burnden Park to the Reebok and Charlton have turned The Valley into something decent (the away end being the exception as someone said earlier!!)

In an ideal world we would develop SP but if we can't, should we let that stop us?? Surely there is enough barren sh*thole land around the Croydon area to develop something closer than Gatwick!!

PhilD
03-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Of course most fans overestimate the pulling power of their club. We are no different. We are really a championship pulling side who can attract players in this leaque, but when it comes to the premier none of the better players want to know for one reason or other. That is why it was so difficult for ID to sign the players he really wanted last year and it will be difficult again next season. Just hope if we get up we avoid the secondary overseas players.

It's primarily about the money. Portsmouth are traditionally a smaller club than Palace and play in a tiny stadium, yet look at the players they managed to attract in January, despite looking almost certain to go down. If we were to go back up this season, then hopefully we'd be in a stronger position to spend more money and attract better players.