Iain Dowie

Related News Stories

Morrison hoping luck will change in play-offs
May 3 2006

Squad fully fit for Hornets first leg
May 3 2006

Playoff Semi Away Leg SOLD OUT
May 2 2006

Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie is urging fans to make the atmosphere at Selhurst Park red hot this Saturday to help the Eagles gain the upper hand in their play-off semi-final first leg against Watford, by Stuart Pink.

Palace's sixth place finish means they entertain the Hornets on Saturday lunch time with the second leg to be played at Vicarage Road the following Tuesday night.

Dowie is desperate for Palace fans to make Selhurst Park an intimidating place for the Hornets to visit and hopes supporters create an atmosphere which can inspire his side to take a hefty advantage going into the second leg.

Dowie said: "We need to make Selhurst Park an intimidating place to play on Saturday so I hope the fans will be pumped up and ready to provide maximum volume.

"Our supporters were fantastic last year when we needed them for the big games as the season hit crunch time so I'm hoping for more of the same.

"It's a massive game and I hope the atmosphere will match that. We need them to be on top form."

The Palace boss has also admitted he is not worried by his side's current form. Sunday's defeat against already promoted Sheffield United left the Eagles with a record of one win in five games going in to the play-offs.

Palace have not won two league games on the spin since the turn of the year, which does not bode well for a two-legged play-off, but Dowie feels his side have enough belief to get it right when it matters.

"The confidence is high going into the play-offs and we'll go into the Watford games believing in ourselves.

"We've got a good group of players who can handle the big occasion.

"We will show Watford the utmost respect, but I feel that if we are at it, play to our strengths, switched on and concentrating, then we are a match for anyone in this league."

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Anyone found wearing face paint/"comedy" wig should be refused entry on Saturday.

JAT

Away Day Eagle
04-05-2006, 07:03 AM
C_block Gold.

:cool: :p :D

nathe
04-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Anyone found wearing face paint/"comedy" wig should be refused entry on Saturday.

JAT

Don't be harsh. I heard Matty was getting all excited at the thought of getting his face painted and wearing a wig:D

sexyrazor
04-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by nathe
Don't be harsh. I heard Matty was getting all excited at the thought of getting his face painted and wearing a wig:D
Well he does do it most weekends :D

Dave
04-05-2006, 07:23 AM
I know who I'd rather see refused entry.

Personally I like the colour and spectacle of the playoffs, wigs and face paint looks better than some moody little chavs in Burberry and baseball caps.

andyocpfc
04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Dave

Personally I like the colour and spectacle of the playoffs, wigs and face paint looks better than some moody little chavs in Burberry and baseball caps.

Go on......

Leeds Eagle
04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
i'll be painted and wigged up!

davematt
04-05-2006, 07:38 AM

Agree. The more colour at these sort of games the better..

Ben H
04-05-2006, 07:39 AM

JAT

Why?

MATTY THE EAGLE
04-05-2006, 07:43 AM

JAT

:p

"We need to make Selhurst Park an intimidating place to play"

welshneil
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM

What about those who just LOOK like they're wearing a comedy wig! Still I suppose baldy will have no problem there! :D

welshneil
04-05-2006, 07:46 AM
So have you got your wig ready?

nathe
04-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by sexyrazor
Well he does do it most weekends :D

Is that when he dresses up as a laydeeeeeee:D

jone-zee
04-05-2006, 08:53 AM

JAT

Red and Blue Jesters Hat ok?

DDD
04-05-2006, 08:55 AM

JAT

:afro: :D :p

DDD
04-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
:p

"We need to make Selhurst Park an intimidating place to play"

Remember the Blackburn game ?

Simon Garner who'd been around a bit said it was the most hostile and intimidating place and game he'd ever played in and that it really did get to the Blackburn players .....more of that on Saturday...lets make them thar' hornets wish there fathers had never met their mothers...:lux: :lux:

Ben H
04-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by DDD

LOL. Matty wouldn't have been much more than a twinkle in his mother's eye back then.:)

Neil 154
04-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by DDD

Simon Garner who'd been around a bit said it was the most hostile and intimidating place and game he'd ever played in and that it really did get to the Blackburn players .....more of that on Saturday...lets make them thar' hornets wish there fathers had never met their mothers...:lux: :lux:

A mass pitch invasion would help.

smileysmith
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
C_block Gold.

:cool: :p :D Really N?

Seemed a bit of a wanky comment to me on the verge of the play offs.

Away Day Eagle
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by DDD

Certainly do fella.

Both the home legs for the play-off were great atmospheres.

So let's have more of the same Saturday

MATTY THE EAGLE
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
LOL. Matty wouldn't have been much more than a twinkle in his mother's eye back then.:)

Well, your Maths are a little out.

DDD
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Certainly do fella.

Both the home legs for the play-off were great atmospheres.

So let's have more of the same Saturday

and George Courtney giving us non existent pens would help :p

Was a great day though - The place was rocking for that and the Swindon game and we really do need that kinda noise and atmosphere again.....

Jack Regan
04-05-2006, 09:08 AM

JAT

That'll include Elton John, won't it?

DDD
04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jack Regan
That'll include Elton John, won't it?

pure gold :D :D :D :p

Away Day Eagle
04-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Really N?

It made me laugh.

I know what he's saying.

I think the wigs look plain daft.

The face painting is ok for kids.There were two young lads down the front at Sheffield united - they looked pretty good.

But all for colour in the play-offs.

smileysmith
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
It made me laugh.

I know what he's saying.

I think the wigs look plain daft.

The face painting is ok for kids.There were two young lads down the front at Sheffield united - they looked pretty good.

But all for colour in the play-offs. Fair enough, didn't make me laugh - hence the response. I think it looks pretty silly too, but the kiddies do love it.

I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone wears or looks like as long as the sing, scream, jump around and give it all for the Palace. :afro:

Away Day Eagle
04-05-2006, 09:17 AM

I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone wears or looks like as long as the sing, scream, jump around and give it all for the Palace. :afro:

I'm in :p

Granada allover
04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Anyone found wearing face paint... should be refused entry on Saturday.

Looks like Simon 'the future's bright, the future's...' Jordan will have to do something about that tan.

DDD
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Have to agree about the wigs thing.....hate it...

Nothing worse than this at football..

http://www.talent99.freeserve.co.uk/images/wigs-england-st-george-curly-afro.jpg

RDSdaEAGLE
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
And don't get embarassed by it!!!

If there are only two of you singing in one area of the ground, make yourselves an example to follow. Too many times are there situations where people don't join in because they don't want to look like idiots.

Saturday is not the time for that. Make the people who don't join in look like idiots.

Clapham Grand
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Indeed - time for everyone to sing - not just the AWM and Holmesdale Lower A+B!!!!

smileysmith
04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Make the people who don't join in look like idiots. Now that is a great idea. :p :lux:

Buglebob
04-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Make the people who don't join in look like idiots.
Yep! If you spot anyone sitting quietly not singing, stare at them until they are embarassed into joining in.

Chillo
04-05-2006, 12:27 PM

JAT

Well, that's me and my son outside then :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How about misery guts so-called fans left outside instead?

Baldy
04-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by welshneil
What about those who just LOOK like they're wearing a comedy wig! Still I suppose baldy will have no problem there! :D

:veryangry :veryangry :grrr: :grrr:
:hmph: :hmph: :hmph:
:bash:
:afro:

welshneil
04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
:hi:

10 o'clock in the Arms mate?

DDD
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
What about those who just LOOK like they're wearing a comedy wig!

Well thats Darren Ward buggered then..

Baldy
04-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Yes. Probably a livener elsewhere first though.

The Captain is definitely on the firm so you will meet him this time. I've got his ticket.
:lux: :afro: :p

adrenalin john
04-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DDD
Well thats Darren Ward buggered then..

.....frequently and for pleasure.

cpfcben
04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10323~825291,00.html

John.K
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
For those of you who are not registered:

Crystal Palace manager Iain Dowie has called upon the supporters to pack out Selhurst Park on Saturday and cheer the team on to success against Watford in the play-offs.

There are still tickets available for the game and Dowie knows how much difference a sold out Selhurst can make to the team, as they look to get a good result ahead of the return leg at Vicarage Road next Tuesday.

Two years ago, over 25,000 were packed into Selhurst Park to see the Eagles take a 3-2 lead against Sunderland in the first leg and that was the catalyst behind the eventual trip to and victory at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Now, Dowie wants a repeat of that evening on Saturday afternoon when Watford arrive in SE25 for the vitally important first leg.

"The fans can make a massive difference to the lads and it would be great for us to run out in front of a sold-out Selhurst Park on Saturday," said Dowie.

"We saw what happened against Sunderland two years ago when the supporters helped to drive the boys on to victory and we would like the same again when we play Watford.

"It really can make all the difference, so I'd like to ask every Palace supporter to try and be there to cheer us on."

Tickets are still available now and the Selhurst Park Box Office is open from 8.00am to 8.00pm on both Thursday and Friday. Either call 08712 000071, where our operators are waiting to take your call now or visit the Box Office in person.

Supporters are advised to get their tickets in advance of Saturday, as this will allow them to avoid congestion on the day of the game.

MikeyDread
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Come on Palace

cpfcben
04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
People don't want to go the prices are too high! OMFG

PhilD
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Anyone got any idea how many tickets are left?

trufan
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Embarrassing that we haven't sold out for a match of this magnitude. Imagine how this will go down with those who call us passionless plastic fans etc. :(

All the more important that those who ARE there raise the flippin' roof!

cpfcben
04-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Loads left judging all the promotion on the official website. It is shocking!

John.K
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
4,000 tickets I think

Justy C
04-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
Anyone got any idea how many tickets are left?

Would be interested to know that as well. And I agree with Trufan's comments.

Such a shame its not looking like a sell out. It will be a big disappointment to Dowie and the players but I totally understand that some people can't afford it - its too much. Whilst I don't expect them to give tickets away, the club have got this one wrong.

PhilD
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
It's a shame.

This is the last game that the club should be looking to really cash in on. We need a packed stadium to really get behind the team and at 25 we would have got one.

Watford's stadium holds less than 20k and yet their tickets are very reasonably priced in comparison to ours.

sydnsteve
04-05-2006, 05:10 PM
That is very poor. I can't believe it's not a sell out. It would certainly have been worth Jordan making it 20, just to fill the place, even though he'd have taken less. Not much time to shift that many tickets.

cpfc4ever
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Palace taking the piss really

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Im sure your nipper will still be allowed entry with his Burberry baseball cap Dave.

:)

nicknackpalace
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
As has been mentioned on previous threads, the clubs are not allowed to reduce their prices for the playoffs. Football League Rules.

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Really N?

No it's fact Im afraid.

If you want to wear a fancy wig/paint your face and act the clown go to a circus, not Selhurst Park on matchday.

:)

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by jone-zee
Red and Blue Jesters Hat ok?

Only La Bomb's.

:lux: :p

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by DDD
Have to agree about the wigs thing.....hate it...

Nothing worse than this at football..

http://www.talent99.freeserve.co.uk/images/wigs-england-st-george-curly-afro.jpg

101% Agreed.

Why? Nippers yes? Anyone over the age of 10.

No No No.

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
We dont deserve to go up if we cant sale our home fixture FFS.

AJ8
04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
are proper flags allowed in selhurst or not? was going to get the play-off final one out for saturday...

kolinkins
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
We dont deserve to go up if we cant sale our home fixture FFS.

The fans dont deserve to go up, the players might.

c_block_lad
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AJ8
are proper flags allowed in selhurst or not? was going to get the play-off final one out for saturday...

Only if it has a fire safety note I led to believe. If I was the club I would be more worried about the fact our ground is a shithole, the main stand is wooden and over 80 years old, and the Holmesdale is sinking. But there you go.

limited_edition
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
We dont deserve to go up if we cant sale our home fixture FFS. We went up in '97 when we couldn't sell out the home leg v Wolves.

Tony Montana
04-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Have to agree on most points here. Not being able to sell our home games is embarrassing, people moaning about the prices, but for our biggest home game of the season 30 although steep, is an easy price to pay for such a big game. We need to be selling these games out if we're the big club so many of us think. I know that Norwich, West Ham, Leeds and many other teams would all have a bigger attendence than us.

As for the "fan decoration" I agree, face paint and wigs on a 7 year old = reasonably cute. On an Adult = slightly worrying. Don't worry about the wig, just bring your voices.

MANCDAZEAGLE
04-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Make sure u get to the ship intime for ure tkt pal

:p:p:p:p:p

Chris K
04-05-2006, 06:07 PM

Personally I like the colour and spectacle of the playoffs, wigs and face paint looks better

Sounds like a promise there.

I may don a pair of comedy breasts