PDA

View Full Version : Watson's corners!

Al From Bromley
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Please, please, please can someone else not take corners? Four out of the five (plus one short corner) Palace had failed to beat the first man at about midriff height. Why do they persist in letting him take them with a 20% success rate of actually delivering them into the box? :grrr:

Benzhiyi
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
You can see what they're trying to do - get Fitz to flick them on at the near post, but every time he gets beaten by his marker. It's not just Watson's fault.

Al From Bromley
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes but at least mix it up a bit if it's not working. One to the penalty spot perhaps, one far post, one near, short corner, inswinger, outswinger etc. It's not like you're short on options when you get a corner.

bradpitt
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
[B It's not just Watson's fault. [/B] It is

paf
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
You can see what they're trying to do - get Fitz to flick them on to Andy Johnson who does a triple salko flicking the ball to Ward who's doing a headstand and knocks it off his bootlace at the near post, but every time he gets beaten by his marker. It's not just Watson's fault.

corrected.

Benzhiyi
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
:)

jobiinthelastmi
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
what has he ever done for Palace?

Watson is useles! to think Riihilhati doesn't start over him is stupid!

Dowie is blind!

Boyce is our only good player!

Chas
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
The corners improved in the second half, but too right...we need more variety in these set pieces if we're ever going to call ourselves a Premier League side.

Neil
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Young showed Watson how you take a set piece.

Embarrassed.

Trilby
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi

Riihilahti is injured.

Strathclyde Eagle
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Chas
The corners improved in the second half
They were about the only thing that improved in the second half. :veryangry

Al From Bromley
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Based on that showing I wouldnt let Watson take any deadball kicks ever again. He really was that bad, particularly the free kick out on the left near the end that he just kicked straight into the wall at ankle height. What the feck was he trying to do?

maestro
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Its the same every week with watson and still he takes them the following game, theres even been letters in the advertsiser moaning about them and he does nothing.

I only play non league but if I kept taking corners like that id get beaten up after the game, the center backs keep running up and down the pitch for nothing, I wouldnt mind if it was a difficult task but it isnt at all

David Amsalem
06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Today, the set pieces were absolutely appauling. Watson can take set-pieces, but he was having an awful day, and should have let somebody else have a try.

Al From Bromley
06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
It's the singlemost glaring fault for even the most ignorant fan to spot. Time after time, game after game it happens. Are you telling me that no other player in the side is able to deliver a decent corner or free kick? Watson is HUGELY overrated IMHO. Yes he shows signs, but his distribution is iffy, often overhitting balls by miles and his deadball skills leave a lot to be desired to say the least.

Malakite
06-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Watson like Soares, are simply too inconsistnt, end of

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
His set pieces were not good today, Routledge was the scapegoat last season, has anyone else seen Hughes take a corner or Jobi? They too are pretty poor. We could practice them a bit more and give more people chances to put the ball in. Butterfield is the only player who 'might' put in a better ball.

Malakite, were you at the game or watching it on TV? If you were there surely you won't have missed Watson playing in defence, midfield and trying to attack - the ONLY player who actually wanted it in the second half!

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Problem is that Watson has to land it on a sixpence with this stupid idea of packing the 6 yard area with people. When we had free kicks and people attacking their headers, we caused more problems. It's hardly rocket science, the way the corners are taken gives defenders the advantage because they are attacking the ball and not being turned.

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
His set pieces were not good today, Routledge was the scapegoat last season, has anyone else seen Hughes take a corner or Jobi? They too are pretty poor. We could practice them a bit more and give more people chances to put the ball in. Butterfield is the only player who 'might' put in a better ball.

Malakite, were you at the game or watching it on TV? If you were there surely you won't have missed Watson playing in defence, midfield and trying to attack - the ONLY player who actually wanted it in the second half!

I seem to remember Matt Spring being left to score the third goal and Watson being nowhere in sight.

John C
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Apart from the terrible corners, Watson was our best midfield player. In the first half he controlled it even though Hughes seemed tired after 15minutes. His passes were excellent and showed that the set up within the team cannot match his vision.

After we let in the first goal, Watson was consistantly calling for the ball from the defenders and keeper, yet they never gave it to him - instead they hoofed the ball forward. As for Soares, well he did not do too bad in the first half and was subbed by Freedman who gave the ball away too much

bigee
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Its nice to see the great tradition of Palace corners instigated by WR lives on under young Watson,warms the cockles of my heart!

Shipp Ahoy!
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
:( :bash: :(

I just dont get why we persist with such a woeful corner taker.

MCANUFF PLEASEEEEEEE.

917L
06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
If you were there surely you won't have missed Watson playing in defence, midfield and trying to attack - the ONLY player who actually wanted it in the second half!

The only player who wasted all bar one dead ball, the free kick in the first half passed to a Watford player was spectacularly bad.

The only player who never managed a tackle all game.

He was appalling, should have been him replaced not Saores.

And to suggest he was the only one that wanted it does Boyce and Clinton a huge disservice.

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 917L
The only player who wasted all bar one dead ball, the free kick in the first half passed to a Watford player was spectacularly bad.

The only player who never managed a tackle all game.

He was appalling, should have been him replaced not Saores.

And to suggest he was the only one that wanted it does Boyce and Clinton a huge disservice.

Suggest you try watching the games, Watson was the only player in the centre trying to tackle.

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
I seem to remember Matt Spring being left to score the third goal and Watson being nowhere in sight.

They had 3 players in Centre mid and we just had Watson, who was he suypposed to mark.

Seriously if a horse looked as lame as Hughes today it would have been shot!

jobiinthelastmi
06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Watson tried to tackle? yes tried!

If Aki is fit.... stick him in!

917L
06-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Suggest you try watching the games, .

Its my opinion, yours is no more valid:clown:

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
They had 3 players in Centre mid and we just had Watson, who was he suypposed to mark.

Seriously if a horse looked as lame as Hughes today it would have been shot!

He's a central midfielder, Hughes was near the touchline for their throw in where he should have been. Watson should have been on the edge of our box, tracking any runners. He wasn't, the fact they had 3 midfielders doesn't make any difference, you mark the space and track the runner.

eagles_1986
06-05-2006, 02:37 PM
watson just cannot take a decent corner kick

palacemad1
06-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
what has he ever done for Palace?

Dowie is blind!

Boyce is our only good player!

I totally agree watson is crap all he does is give the ball away but somehow dowie seems to think hes class yeah rite

eagles_1986
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Dowie loves watson thats why he continues to play him week in week out even tho this year he has only had what 3 good games? if that?

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Watson is the second moist highly rated player in our squad by premiership managers - what does that tell you?

If we sell players in the summer there will be more than a couple of sides looking at Watson! Probably the best 20 year old English play-maker!

kolinkins
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Watson was awful today. Couldnt pass wind, couldnt demand oxygen and his corners were far worse than Wayne's ever were.

BW_Palace
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Hughes is so overrated by some on the BBS it's unreal (same deal with Dougie).

Watson is our best midfielder - Aki is unfit, Mikele can't pass and Hughes is getting on a bit...

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Hughes is so overrated by some on the BBS it's unreal (same deal with Dougie).

Watson is our best midfielder - Aki is unfit, Mikele can't pass and Hughes is getting on a bit...

Put Watson with Mikele or Aki though and you get one who's job is to get the ball and one who is supposed to use it.

Hughes runs round like a headless chicken, has a rest and then puts in a reckless challenge or too.

Mickythepunk
06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
its a pity he had a bad game when it came to him taking corners...i wish Dowie had pick someone else to take em (ie McAnuff)

Chester 76
06-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Seriously if a horse looked as lame as Hughes today it would have been shot! This is a major point, Hughes was a passenger today as he has for most of the season.

Palaceboy222
06-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Watsons corners are shit, but its up to Dowie to change who takes them, he didn't do it last year with Routledge, or this with ben. Up to the manager who takes the set pieces, everyone else can see their shit, why can't he?

John.K
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Another embarassing aspect of our game, our set pieces often ended up in Watford attacks especially throw ins.

Tom's Old Man
06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Watson's corners, like Routledge's last season, are pathetic.
You'll see better on the Purley Way, and I'm not joking.

PhilD
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
The most frustrating thing was that we clearly had them troubled at set-pieces, but Watson wasted countless opportunities to put them under pressure. It's not only his fault though, Dowie clearly insists that he takes every one.

PhilD
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76
This is a major point, Hughes was a passenger today as he has for most of the season.

Hughes and Watson cannot play together in the middle as far as I'm concerned. Hughes just doesn't have the legs to do the dirty work and protect the back four, which is what he needs to do when he's playing alongside Watson. We really need a proper tough tackling holding midfielder to play alongside Ben next year. Kevin Nicholls fits the bill.

vincentinbetwee
06-05-2006, 06:08 PM
watson's corners have been hit and miss all season, nothing new today
frustratingly i thought he might be up for it. i reckon the team selection and tactics just dont suit him. our midfield was pretty non existant. never there for the second ball, poor passing, huge gaps in front of the so called defence. its been there to see all season

earsham eagle
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by John.K
Another embarassing aspect of our game, our set pieces often ended up in Watford attacks especially throw ins. "especially throw ins" Surprised no one's picked up on this before - this has happened all season - 99% of the time all throw ins go to the opposition,totally clueless - coaching staff please sort it out! On reflection it's probably too late in the day

David
06-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by bradpitt
It is
Why isn't our manager allowed to change things?

leeofmedway
06-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by David
Why isn't our manager allowed to change things?

Tha's what I was thinking, can't Dowie change the taker if he can see it isn't working?

TN16_Eagle
06-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Surely Dowie decides who takes them? And if he does why the bloody hell has he stuck with Ben?? We've got a couple of tall decent headers of the ball, would help if the ball reached them occassionally.

GloverUK
06-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Is it at all clubs or are we the only team who can't take a corner kick? i thought last seaeson with wayne that we just could not get the ball passed the first defender. Sometimes they reached him a knee height. lo and behold we get rid of Waynes crap kickes and Watson carries on in the same way. Is it just us? Do they practice in training? Am i paranoid?:bash: :bash: :bash: