PDA

View Full Version : Aidy Boothroyd's interview on Sky

Benzhiyi
06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Did anyone watch it?

You could clearly hear Dowie reading his players the riot act in the background. More than a few yells of "why" and a huge bollocking about not obeying his order to "hold a high line".

Neil
06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Didn't hear Dowie but I thought all the Watford staff said the right things in their interviews. Respect to them.

boxing francis
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I heard him screeching in the background, at the time I thought I was hearing things.

Strathclyde Eagle
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
You could clearly hear Dowie reading his players the riot act in the background.
Good, although he deserves his share of the blame as well.

bradpitt
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Boothroyd has a very bright future ahead of him

palace_boy_luke
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bradpitt

With Watford, and good luck to him.

Malakite
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Didn't hear Dowie but I thought all the Watford staff said the right things in their interviews. Respect to them.

Agree, hope they go on and win it now!

Neil
06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Just rewound it on Sky+. Gosh, he was not pleased.

Stockport_Eagle
06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Thought Matthew Spring got it bob on - "they under estimated us, but they'll have another look now" said with real feeling.

Where have I heard the phrase "BIG TIME CHARLIES" before? :rolleyes:

Benzhiyi
06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Just done the same Neil. His voice actually reaches falsetto pitch on a couple of occasions. It's both terrifying and, in an absurd way, amusing.

wilf789
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Just heard this now as well. Can hear very clearly in the background "WHY?"

Brett
06-05-2006, 02:46 PM
a huge bollocking about not obeying his order to "hold a high line".

Would have been even worse if we did that.

King and Young were rinsing our back-line as it was.

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
A few yards higher, and they would have been heading away those high balls that Watford threw up.

Brett
06-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
A few yards higher, and they would have been heading away those high balls that Watford threw up.

Did you see Pops manage to -up several free headers, Pete?

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I didn't notice that, what I did notice was the ball bouncing around in front of them on several occasions, a clear indication to me that they aren't high enough and the reason why Watford got their first goal. The gap between the midfield and defence was ridiculous in the second half so even if they did squeeze the ball away, Watford were always first to the second ball, if they were playing five in midfield. We had to squeeze the space they could run into, we didn't and we were punished for it.

cpfcinprem
So who told our defence to repeatedly play long balls to three strikers who are all under 6foot? Dowie or did they decide this themselves?!

AJ
I actually thought the defence wasn't too bad. I blame the midfield, which was non-existent in the 2nd. Ward was turned by King for the first goal, but, to be fair, it was a good turn and shot. The second goal, a Watford player pushed the Palace wall sideways. I don't know it that is classed a foul or not. But, still a good strike from Young. The 3rd was again a good goal, nice bit of skill and a strike into the roof.

davematt
06-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Guys, have we had any reaction from the Palace camp yet? I have seen nothing.

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4972624.stm

Benzhiyi
Originally posted by AJ
Ward was turned by King for the first goal, but, to be fair, it was a good turn and shot.

He should have headed Foster's hoof away before it got anywhere near King. Defending at its most basic.

AJ
Originally posted by davematt
Guys, have we had any reaction from the Palace camp yet? I have seen nothing.

Dowies post match was very good IMO. He basically said, the team didn't turn up, the players keep hitting the ball high and that Tuesday will be a referendum on the character of the players for next season, not matter what. Actually, a good interview from Dowie.

CPFC_flake
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Did you see Pops manage to -up several free headers

yes, he kept leaving the ball to bounce :grrr:

pete eagle
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
He should have headed Foster's hoof away before it got anywhere near King. Defending at its most basic.

That's my point about them being too deep, a few yards further and that would be meated away up the pitch. He also let him turn him far too easy as well, that's another basic, never let the man turn and just let him go.

917L
06-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Precisely.

Watford deserved to win, but were no great shakes and all their chances were created from direct balls that our centre halves appeared to have no idea what to do with.

Barring an unlikely miracle I hope Preston or Leeds go up.

MATTY THE EAGLE
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Dowie and the Players bottled coming on tele I see.

Still there be back to there sports cars and gaffs tonight not giving a toss.

AJ
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Don't disagree, but, if AJ had scored that, we would be asking Sven to take note.

pedro
06-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Ward was turned by King for the first goal, but, to be fair, it was a good turn and shot.
Basic rule of defending is not to let the ball bouce. They only had one forward so ward and popo should have decided between themselves who attacked the ball and who watched the man. They clearly didn't do this despite having a warning 30 seconds earlier as both are seen backtracking and ball watching at the same time.

Benzhiyi
06-05-2006, 03:05 PM
AJ didn't get a sniff because Mackay did exactly what our defenders should have been doing - jumping off the ground and moving his head towards that big round white thing instead of standing there going "what the is that? a bomb? an oversized billiard ball? a mis-shapen white easter egg? wonder if it's made of chocolate? hmmm. I'm not that touching it that's for sure. what? it's a football? who'd have thunk it! no, don't kick it into that net thing... ah, shit it. well, at least i won't look gay on the telly with this headband on."

kolinkins
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
AJ didn't get a sniff because Mackay did exactly what our defenders should have been doing - jumping off the ground and moving his head towards that big round white thing instead of standing there going "what the is that? a bomb? an oversized billiard ball? a mis-shapen white easter egg? wonder if it's made of chocolate? hmmm. I'm not that touching it that's for sure. what? it's a football? who'd have thunk it! no, don't kick it into that net thing... ah, shit it. well, at least i won't look gay on the telly with this headband on."

Spot on.

What ever happened to Ward and Poppa? They used to get in the way of the ball.

Penge69
06-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Someone upload it to the net I really want to hear it.

(You could upload it to youtube.com or something)

(The BBC one you can't hear him...)

macstar
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
if we don't perform a miracle on tuesday, next season SJ gotta drop some of those ticket prices or gates will fall.

he can't justify us paying 30+ for the drivel we've witnessed this season.

Mal Adjusted
06-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by cpfcinprem
So who told our defence to repeatedly play long balls to three strikers who are all under 6foot? Dowie or did they decide this themselves?!

:D :D

I think that tactic was decided on last July. We've certainly be playing it all season.

Spender
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Palace played liked they have for most of this season for me and Watford played at their very best.

A feature of our season has been the errors and frailty in our defensive play and inability tokeep clean sheets which are key to any successful side. Add to that the increased tendancy this season to resort to long balls to our dimunitive strke force because of the lack of quality and presence in midfield and its not suprising we have under achieved.

The midfield has lacked quality and any goal scoring threat for more than 2 years now and now the defence looks a problem too.

SJ's reaction to today will be the most interesting piece to see and I suspect that we will hear it sooner rather than later. He expected automatic promotion not 6th place followed by a flop in the play offs !

WorthingEagle
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM

:D

Nice post.

Dom the Eagle
06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Did anyone watch it?

You could clearly hear Dowie reading his players the riot act in the background. More than a few yells of "why" and a huge bollocking about not obeying his order to "hold a high line".

Sounds like he had a plan and the players are obviously too thick to follow simple instructions.

LLCOOLSTEVE
06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
They deserved the bashing.

BW_Palace
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Penge69
Someone upload it to the net I really want to hear it.

(You could upload it to youtube.com or something)

(The BBC one you can't hear him...)

I'd also like to hear this :D

BW_Palace
06-05-2006, 07:44 PM
http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

You can here him shouting in the background but can't really make out what he's saying.

CHE
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
Agree, hope they go on and win it now!

Why? They are a bunch of thugs and their fans twelve year old s. I hope they get the shit kicked out of them, on and off the pitch.

CHE
06-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Let's hope that's the last we've seen of that total Ward in a Palace shirt, as well. off back to Millwall you ponce.

penstone
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Dom the Eagle
Sounds like he had a plan and the players are obviously too thick to follow simple instructions.

Just about sums up the season

glaziers fan
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cpfcinprem

To be fair it's on ly Ward and especially Hall guilty of this.

John.K
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

You can here him shouting in the background but can't really make out what he's saying.

Quite clearly telling them that they were meant to hold a ' high line' something I was shouting from my seat. Aplogies to those in proximity of me in Block R :(. Attack the ball might be another thing he 'mentioned'

firesign
07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Great interview! Nice to hear ID giving the team a rollicking. His instinct seems to be to protect the players in public and put a positive spin on things but now and then it might do some good to let the fans know exactly what he thinks.

Melfort Eagle
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
you can hear why why, when boothroyd talks about they have to come and score goals and we are dangerous on the counter....

MattR
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by CHE
Why? They are a bunch of thugs and their fans twelve year old s. I hope they get the shit kicked out of them, on and off the pitch.

But loik the Murphy's...

Chocky
07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
The buck stops with Dowie. He's had all season to get them playing consistently good football, he still hasn't been able to do it. As Maidstoned said yesterday, why are we watching Steve Kember style football? Show some balls in the summer Dowie and clear some of these gutless arses out and prove your worth and do what Pardew did, who stuck two fingers up to his abusers and took West Ham to where they are now.

Bouncebackabilitly my arse.

TheCharmer
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
he s gone up in my estimations after this, Maybe he should bollock them more often

BW_Palace
07-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Would be interesting if some audio editing whizz can strip away the Boothroyd speech. :p

moses
07-05-2006, 01:14 PM
There's an assumption throughout this thread that Dowie will be with us next season. There are some big jobs out there and some are up in the North Country just where his family are. If we fail on Tuesday, then who would blame him going? if he goes, then a few others will go along with him from both the backroom and the squad; not least of whom, would be AJ.

mik59
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
AJ didn't get a sniff because Mackay did exactly what our defenders should have been doing - jumping off the ground and moving his head towards that big round white thing instead of standing there going "what the is that? a bomb? an oversized billiard ball? a mis-shapen white easter egg? wonder if it's made of chocolate? hmmm. I'm not that touching it that's for sure. what? it's a football? who'd have thunk it! no, don't kick it into that net thing... ah, shit it. well, at least i won't look gay on the telly with this headband on." Young Ben, you have it right. This would be fine satire if it weren't for the fact that you are actually accurately reporting the real world of Palace.

limited_edition
07-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Too little, too late from Dowie. Bit like his substitutions, then. Why didn't he bollock the living daylights out of players after the defeats at Leicester and Sheff U ? Then, they might have shit themselves enough not to feck up on the biggest stage. Dowie constantly defends the players and gets complacent despite several shit performances in other games. That sends out a message to players that you can continually play shit and get away with it by being picked week in, week out if you suck up to the boss enough.

RickyB
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
we need a new defence, Boyce aside.

maestro
07-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RickyB
we need a new defence, Boyce aside.

Definately, and a new centre midfield

trufan
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Chocky
The buck stops with Dowie. He's had all season to get them playing consistently good football, he still hasn't been able to do it. As Maidstoned said yesterday, why are we watching Steve Kember style football? Show some balls in the summer Dowie and clear some of these gutless arses out and prove your worth

I'm beginning to suspect Dowie doesn't know any other way than what we've seen already. No doubt he'd go to Bolton/Boro/Charlton and be a big hit. But I fear he may have achieved all he can at our place. :(

AJ
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Definately, and a new centre midfield

and while we at it, a large lump of a forward and a less eractic goalkeeper.

maestro
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by AJ
and while we at it, a large lump of a forward and a less eractic goalkeeper.

Yeah we definately need a target man aswell. thats 5 core players needed that need not cost the earth but are vitally needed

Matt_Hep
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
How can Dowie moan? He clearly chose to use long ball for the game with two small strikers. These were his only tactics.

richdeniro
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Matt_Hep
How can Dowie moan? He clearly chose to use long ball for the game with two small strikers. These were his only tactics.

I think they're Mcdonalds tactics more than Dowies.

This season we have looked a lot like Bolton at times except less effective.

Matt_Hep
07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by richdeniro
I think they're Mcdonalds tactics more than Dowies.

This season we have looked a lot like Bolton at times except less effective.

OK, then the question needs to be asked: Why is the assistant manager having more influence on the teams style of play than the manager?

NRM the 2nd
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
One thing that is beginning to worry me about Dowie is that he is trying to hard on the man management side with the players. It was evident from the start that his greatest skill was getting the best from players and making them believe they are better than what they actually are. However on many occasions now this season I think this has worked against us as he seems to trust the players too much. Yesterday at half time Bothroyde saw something wasn't right, we were getting closer and closer so changed it and got the rewards. No concern that it may knock his striker hendersons confidence or self belief, just awareness that the tactics needed changing. With Dowie you almost get the feeling that he feels if he takes Soares for example off at that stage it will harm him as a player, shatter his confidence and whatever else. He has too much trust in them to get it right and needs to get the balance right of building them up with the bollockings and tactical side.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Too little, too late from Dowie. Bit like his substitutions, then. Why didn't he bollock the living daylights out of players after the defeats at Leicester and Sheff U ? Then, they might have shit themselves enough not to feck up on the biggest stage. Dowie constantly defends the players and gets complacent despite several shit performances in other games. That sends out a message to players that you can continually play shit and get away with it by being picked week in, week out if you suck up to the boss enough.

Ah, but you're just assuming that Dowie has done this only once? What if he's done it every game and thats had a negative effect? Maybe that would give you another thing to nitpick? Can Dowie actually win...would you actually give him his dues if he deserved it? I make it that whatever Dowie says, you'd be only too happy to nitpick and find the negative of.

"Constantly defends players"...how exactly? By saying we played well in spells? Most of the time I make him right.

And I still think he picks players on condition and merit. If Reich isn't 100% fit and Soares is, I'd pick Soares. Don't give a cr@p whether Reich is the better player, an unfit player is more likely to get injured again and that would certainly be the case with Reich. It doesn't suit peoples arguement so they choose to ignore it.

Originally posted by Matt_Hep

Ah...superb selective memory. Were you not in attendance for the first half? We played some excellent passing football which resulted in some very clear cut chances on about 7 different occasions. Players are not robots...they will just do what they want. You can instruct them to play a certain way only for them to ignore you (which seems to have happened yesterday).

No doubt someone will pick up on that and say that the team don't have enough respect for Dowie.

Shoreditch CPFC
07-05-2006, 06:06 PM

harsh but fair (and funny) :)

TN16_Eagle
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
If you play too deep with slow players such as Ward and Poppa you will get caught out. Watched Paul Merson on Sky Sports this morning and that was his main point, he pointed out that centre backs should never let the ball bounce, and that was why King scored (though to be fair to him is was a bloody good goal)

Crunchie
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by bradpitt

As an alien

Dazron
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
That clip is Ace... well funny. I bet you that becomes legendary. I'm gonna Cap it and put it up online soon and get it around. I loved hearing Dowie rip in to em and I'm glad he did. I hope he kept them there all night.

3rd_Lion
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Dazron
That clip is Ace... well funny. I bet you that becomes legendary. I'm gonna Cap it and put it up online soon and get it around. I loved hearing Dowie rip in to em and I'm glad he did. I hope he kept them there all night.

yeah please mate, i aint heard it yet! Eager to hear it!

Lewes Eagle
07-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Ah...superb selective memory. Were you not in attendance for the first half? We played some excellent passing football which resulted in some very clear cut chances on about 7 different occasions. Players are not robots...they will just do what they want. You can instruct them to play a certain way only for them to ignore you (which seems to have happened yesterday).

No doubt someone will pick up on that and say that the team don't have enough respect for Dowie.

Watford hoofed it all afternoon.

Our passing game was good in the first half, it was after their first goal went in that we started hoofing it back. After the second goal all plans and team shape from Dowie went completely out of the window. Too many players bottled it when it mattered!

Compared to two years ago when Palace had lady luck and all the momentum from moving away from relegation trouble, they have had to live up to ridiculous expectation. First from SJ stating that we will win the championship, then many fans ranting every time we lose. Its no surprise that two of our best performances have been as underdogs; home against Liverpool in the cup and Reading.

Hopefully by next season SJ and most fans will be a little less demanding and a little more realistic...

eagle mart
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TN16_Eagle
Watched Paul Merson on Sky Sports this morning and that was his main point, he pointed out that centre backs should never let the ball bounce,

I've been shouting that at our defence all season. It's schoolboy stuff. You cannot defend a ball that's six foot in the air and climbing, even if you are in space by the time it comes back down even Shipperley would have caught up with play.

You have to attack the ball. ****ing Ward. And to top it off, Ward let him shoot, no attempt at a tackle or block tackle was made. His head has not been right since the fall-out with Dowie.

BW_Palace
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 3rd_Lion
yeah please mate, i aint heard it yet! Eager to hear it!

Link earlier in the thread...

kolinkins
07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Link earlier in the thread...

Cannot find it as one of the clips

Strathclyde Eagle
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Lewes Eagle
Watford hoofed it all afternoon.
Because our defenders never looked capable of defending against it.

Typical Palace
08-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Brett
Would have been even worse if we did that.

King and Young were rinsing our back-line as it was.
You know more about how to defend huge keeper kicks than a professional like Dowie? You're in the wrong job mate. Get in the SE25 hotseat now.

Chief Brody
08-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition

Agreed. Add to that the "captains" he has chosen this season and it's not too difficult to see why their appears to be little discipline on the pitch. From my viewpoint we may as well play without one, Hall? Hughes? Both a disgrace with the armband.

Once again their appeared to be little leadership on the pitch. Why the heck didn't Huges pick Watson up after the fourth (out of the first five) corner was delivered poorly and say "no more", someone else takes over. Why didn't he say to the morons at the back (Ward, Hall esp.) "listen you thick c*nts, can't you see we have the smallest frontline in the world? Now play it on the deck!!" Dereliction of duty IMHO.

Brett
08-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Typical Palace
You know more about how to defend huge keeper kicks than a professional like Dowie? You're in the wrong job mate. Get in the SE25 hotseat now.

The reason we weren't defending Foster's kicks was because the defenders were scared of heading the ball, not to do with how deep we were.

If we had gone high then Watford would have picked us off by playing through us.

It isn't rocket science.

Ecalap Latsyrc
08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Chief Brody
Agreed. Add to that the "captains" he has chosen this season and it's not too difficult to see why their appears to be little discipline on the pitch. From my viewpoint we may as well play without one, Hall? Hughes? Both a disgrace with the armband.

Once again their appeared to be little leadership on the pitch. Why the heck didn't Huges pick Watson up after the fourth (out of the first five) corner was delivered poorly and say "no more", someone else takes over. Why didn't he say to the morons at the back (Ward, Hall esp.) "listen you thick c*nts, can't you see we have the smallest frontline in the world? Now play it on the deck!!" Dereliction of duty IMHO.

Spot on.

It was the reaction to the first goal which cost us the game. A bit of steel, a bit of leadership and some rigorous discipline could have saved it. And for that we needed a proper captain.

BW_Palace
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Cannot find it as one of the clips

Was clip of the day before.

sydnsteve
08-05-2006, 10:52 AM
No time to read all this, but if Dowie really thinks that you can play a high back line with Popps and Ward as your CBs, against a pacy attack, he needs his head testing. Two of the slowest players we've had at the back, and he wants them to play high up the pitch? Nonsense. He should have had Hall on King, and Ward or Popps as the other CB.

screamingalice
08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Hall and Boyce at Cb would have been better, they have a bit of pace. Butts and if fit Danny G at full backs, but I would have been happy to give Gary Borrowdale a go if no Danny G or even Poppa!