PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Hughes abuse?

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Seriously!

Last season Leigertwood was blamed for us getting relegated for 1 challenge somewhere out near the touchline.

Today Hughes has another reckless lunge just outside the box, no chance of winning the ball, every chance he would take the man. Straight into the top corner.

I know most BBS'rs love the man and given the chance would have his babies but the man cost us BIG today, the second goal was a killer!

That is without even going into his non existent to our game or the fact as captain he did nothing to lead the team and keep their heads up!

Utterly disgraceful!

spotkick
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Fact - Hughes was marked out of the game today.

The Hornets did their homework and abusing players does not work.

John.K
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I said on a previous thread before the tie Hughes was not up for the challenge today and I was proved right. Total embarassment along with Watson they won about 5 challenges between them and not one header I don't think. I have never walked away from Selhurst with such anger/dissapointment until today :(

John.K
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by spotkick

Marked a centre midfielder out of the game? give me a break :D

jobiinthelastmi
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Hughes and Watson were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!

no one played well end of!

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 03:37 PM

Marked out of the game? You are having a alaugh, at one point he was having a breather and was the ONLY player (apart from Foster) in teh Watford half. This was early in the second half, they had 3 in Cm and we had 1! :eek:

kolinkins
06-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Hughes was awful, not least for having a go at Kiraly. If Hughes hadnt given away a free-kick in the first place....

Ruskin Old Boy
06-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Yet another match when it showed just how much we miss Aki in midfield

BIG DAVE
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
It crossed my mind we were doomed when people were handing information about train tickets to Cardiff, I mean isn't that a bit ambitious, plus on Palace radio callers were sounding as though it was already a done deal.

We'll probably go to watford and win 2-0.

Dowie needs to look at his players. Fitz Hall looked as though he couldn't be arsed and watson's corners were a joke. Why Reich didn't play the first half is beyond me.

OneSize
Hughs has been the reason for our poor overall performance this season. We should have persisted witht he leigertwood watson midfield all season.

dodge_bond
no we didnt miss Aki, we missed passion! ! ! !

richy
06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Whilst Hughes is not the player he was in the past, I don't think our route one play was of any benefit to him. He spent most of the game (like alot of our players) being out jumped and over run, in the second half they packed out the midfield. He gave as much as he could and his challenge was clearly out of frustration, tactically we could have helped him out by cutting out the long balls or by letting Soares drift inside a little more. TS spent most of the game hugging the touchline and apart from one run gave little attacking threat.

Ruskin Old Boy
06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dodge_bond
no we didnt miss Aki, we missed passion! ! ! !

Exactly what Aki brings to every game he plays ...

maestro
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Hughes was awfull, he couldnt compete with the Mahan the big watford player

Tomo
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Hughes I love but For the last 3 months he has become past it I am afraid. Can play very well in doses but this is the one point I agree with Gonzo on.

PengeEagle
06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Hughes was poor, but certainly not the worst on the pitch

Al From Bromley
06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BIG DAVE
It crossed my mind we were doomed when people were handing information about train tickets to Cardiff, I mean isn't that a bit ambitious, plus on Palace radio callers were sounding as though it was already a done deal.

The way some people have been talking the last ten days was like a flashback to West Ham's fans convinced they just had to turn up against Palace.

alaneagle
06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
kiraly ahd a rite go at hughes

joe walker
06-05-2006, 03:50 PM
i thought hughes had a mare, and his persisent refusal to use his right foot is really starting to piss me off

GreatGonzo
06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by PengeEagle
Hughes was poor, but certainly not the worst on the pitch

I think he was, tell me what he contributed to the team, Ward and Popovic we the other 2 of a terrible 3.

My main point was more how Leggy was blamed for relegation due to a silly foul and yet Hughes seemed to have avoided comment for costing us promotion with a reckless one!

John.K
06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by John.K
Hughes should be no where near the starting 11 he simply is not up to the challenge, his legs are letting him down. Aki HAS to play if we are to do well in the play offs. Ward and Hall do not bode well as a partnership

macstar
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Hughes was awfull, he couldnt compete with the Mahan the big watford player

a player we tried to sign

Billyd
06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
hughes and watson were both piss poor today

Spender
06-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Cant knock him. We all know that with funds available he would be replaced by a younger model but he always gives 100% for me and at times this season he has produced quality killer balls that no one else in our midfield would have the quality to pick out.

Should not be relying on him to be our best midfielder in 2006/7 though !

st albans
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by OneSize
Hughs has been the reason for our poor overall performance this season. We should have persisted witht he leigertwood watson midfield all season.

ha ha ha ha

you my friend are clearly deluded

Palaceboy222
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM

FACT

Hughes has been past it for the last TWO seasons

Palaceboy222
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by st albans
ha ha ha ha

you my friend are clearly deluded

no, i'm sorry, but you my friend, are clearly deluded by good performances from hughes TWO SEASONS AGO

Palaceboy222
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
kiraly had a rite go at hughes

Quite right too, Hughes didnt even show passion today, at least Kiraly did

Sussex Eagle
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
His time is up, he's been on a downward slope since he arrived and is no longer of any use. If any of you need any further evidence than what your eyes should be showing you, the stats on how badly we do with as compared to without Hughes are remarkable.

Palaceboy222
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Spender
Cant knock him. We all know that with funds available he would be replaced by a younger model but he always gives 100% for me and at times this season he has produced quality killer balls that no one else in our midfield would have the quality to pick out.

Should not be relying on him to be our best midfielder in 2006/7 though !

Sorry but name one of these killer passes, watson is the only midfielder we have who can pick a pass, even today when he was poor, he did the best pass of the match, for AJ's chance,

Diggers digs in?
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
He was so awful today, but then it was always going to be tough playing a 4-1/2-2 formation

(Watson counts as a half because he played a couple of excellent passes). Hughes was so bad today, he should have gone off for Soares, no question. We'll lose the away leg as well so we might as well have a laugh and play 4-0-6 or something.

Beck The Eagle
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Seriously!

Last season Leigertwood was blamed for us getting relegated for 1 challenge somewhere out near the touchline.

Today Hughes has another reckless lunge just outside the box, no chance of winning the ball, every chance he would take the man. Straight into the top corner.

I know most BBS'rs love the man and given the chance would have his babies but the man cost us BIG today, the second goal was a killer!

That is without even going into his non existent to our game or the fact as captain he did nothing to lead the team and keep their heads up!

Utterly disgraceful!

Pretty much totally agree. If Leggy had palyed today we woudl've stood a chance. I've said for MOTNHS that we need someone who can tackle, and despite all his "hustle and bustle", Hughes cannot do it.

Kiraly was totally in the right.

maestro
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I good player mahan is too, won everything, completly dominant

Originally posted by macstar
a player we tried to sign

Chester 76
06-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by PengeEagle
Hughes was poor, but certainly not the worst on the pitch :eek: Hughes was a passenger, he did a very good impression of a tourist who has got lost sightseeing. For the third goal he just gave up,didn`t attempt to get back & that isn`t the first time this season (Derby`s first for example).

Chester 76
06-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Hughes was awful, not least for having a go at Kiraly. If Hughes hadnt given away a free-kick in the first place....
Late on Johnson had a go at Hughes infront of Dowie.

GreatGonzo
07-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Chester 76
:eek: Hughes was a passenger, he did a very good impression of a tourist who has got lost sightseeing. For the third goal he just gave up,didn`t attempt to get back & that isn`t the first time this season (Derby`s first for example).

Well at least he was consistent, lets not forget he even lost the toss as well!

kolinkins
07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Gonzo has this one spot on IMHO

AddiscombeEagle
07-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree with GG, the lack of any leadership was unbelievable in the second half.

I am also in the camp which believes in this division you need players like Aki and Ligertwood. I might even go as far as saying you could play them both and we would have had a better season. This division as Watford and Sheff Utd have proved only requires a solid defence and a solid midfield with one good forward. That is all you need and the Dowies have not grasped that.

nelson alfie
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
In my view Hughes had a poor first half and a worse second half.

However the thread starter seems to be encouraging the abuse of our captain. That really is a disgrace

917L
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Sorry but name one of these killer passes, watson is the only midfielder we have who can pick a pass,

So AJ never scored from any of Aki's passes in the premiership then?

John.K
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by nelson alfie
In my view Hughes had a poor first half and a worse second half.

However the thread starter seems to be encouraging the abuse of our captain. That really is a disgrace

Whats wrong with it? He has been poor all season and as highlighted yesterday is an inadequate leader when it matters. It was effectively Watson alone in the centre of midfield, especially in the 2nd half. Hughes ought to really consider how long he intends to play on for as his fitness is really suffering. Compare this to the player of 2 years ago who made great probing runs, example v Stoke (6-3) you wont see him making a run like that again. His contribution is minimal at best to the game, as he does not sit in front of the back 4 and instead plays a more advanced role up the park where he has little effect. Watson is also not a holding midfielder as he fails to put his foot in at crucial times. Our lack of aerial ability in midfield was also shockingly exposed yesterday with Soares our biggest threat.

leeofmedway
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by John.K
I said on a previous thread before the tie Hughes was not up for the challenge today and I was proved right. Total embarassment along with Watson they won about 5 challenges between them and not one header I don't think. I have never walked away from Selhurst with such anger/dissapointment until today :(

Agree 100% and there is only one person to blame for this and all of the other tactical and formation errors, the manager.

Palaceboy222
07-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 917L
So AJ never scored from any of Aki's passes in the premiership then?

Aki's passing is no where near the class of Watsons

eagles #1
07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Liegertwood must play. Our midfield is far too lightweight, Mahon was probably pissing himself with laughter as Hughes and Watson came running into him and just bounced straight off.

cpfc_spc1982
been crap all season.

glaziers fan
Hughes is a C***. I blame him solely.

Also, he was at fault, yet again, for stopping a very promising counter-attack. He's washed up. He has nothing left to give. Finished. Like Freedman, should be on the bench for last 20 mins

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Hughes and Watson as a partnership NEVER WORKS - being saying it for so long. Aki, Ledge or Soares must play play in the middle.
Hughes was utter poo today - no abuse but he contributed nothing and yes it was a pointless foul.
But it all comes down to Dowie's selection and consistent use of favourites.
Time for Hughes him to move on.

917L
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Aki's passing is no where near the class of Watsons

Re read your original staement, then watch Aki's passes to AJ at Villa and Fulham (as a starter)

John.K
07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I think a donkey would be more effective than Hughes at least it might put the Watford players off, it could also be great for playing one-twos with ;)

75points
07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Hughes was right about Kiraly's throw and stupid in his tackle.
having gone 2-Nil down he should have steadied the ship - but went headless and gave no leadership. Even if he can't play to his past level
he needed to use his experience - he didn't.

If Dowie wanted a high line and to compress the game the should have sorted it on the pitch.

DaveCPFC4Life
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Chester 76
:eek: Hughes was a passenger, he did a very good impression of a tourist who has got lost sightseeing. For the third goal he just gave up,didn`t attempt to get back & that isn`t the first time this season (Derby`s first for example).

Agreed. I was sure he'd come off, Soares would move inside and Reich put on the wing. Oh Well...