PDA

View Full Version : England World Cup Joy - Here we go!

James
06-10-2001, 08:45 PM
There are six minutes left, and it looks like we're going out. How on earth has that happened? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....

Steve in Phoenix
06-10-2001, 08:55 PM
FAMOUS LAST WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :D ;) :) :) :afro:

AJ
06-10-2001, 08:55 PM
I just saw Finland draw with Germany. What more could they have done for us?
England..... The problem is Martyn in goal, England rarely win, when he plays...

oh dear.

James
06-10-2001, 08:56 PM
Shall I change the name of this thread?

Yipppeee!!!

Vic Eagle
06-10-2001, 08:57 PM
The one thing this goes to show, IMHO, is that the England players do not live up to their own publicity.

Player's strike? My arse, they should show that they are worthy of the (already) overinflated pay that they are handed out by gullible employers...:confused:

James
06-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Phew!

Steve in Phoenix
06-10-2001, 08:58 PM
I was watching the Finland-Germany game too AJ.. Finland did well but Germany really should have won it with all the chances they had.. but I have not seen such diving since the days of Klinsmann!

It doesnt matter anymore!

England are in the World Cup and Germany goes to the playoffs! :D:D

AJ
06-10-2001, 09:00 PM
I guess all is forgiven for Beckham now! Steve, it's Scotland v Latvia now on FSW... more Palace players!

CPFC_R_GREAT
06-10-2001, 09:01 PM
COMMMMMME ONNNNNNN!

What is it with that ground and injury time! :D :D :D :D

Vic Eagle
06-10-2001, 09:02 PM
And, in the euphoria, I stand by my earlier opinion...if England can't beat Greece at home, what chance do they have? Overpaid primadonnas.

sydney eagle
06-10-2001, 09:04 PM
isn't it nice to screw the germans right at the end like they usually do to us :p I can't stop smiling:D:D:D:D:D

KNIGHTHOOD FOR BECKHAM:p

Steve in Phoenix
06-10-2001, 09:05 PM
I just looked to see when the goals will be shown on Sky Sports News.. earliest I can see is 7pm EST :hmph:

I just knew England really could do it.. Germany were doing everything but score, not to take away from Finland who dominated long parts of it but they just didnt get chances like Germany.

Healthy dose of reality after that 5-1 win I reckon. We're good but not that good.

ruediger
06-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Wonderful. What a great strike by Beckham. :D

Choose to watch the England game live (instead of Germany's crap with Finnland). German TV commentators went mental when Greece took the lead but I had the last laugh. Made my day. :cool:

T.O. eagle
06-10-2001, 09:09 PM
England qualify for the World Cup...overpaid or not..Yeeeessss

Wish I could have the luxury of watching it on TV instead of watching the 'net ticker tape...anyone got the video clip loading?:)

Daniel_Nash
06-10-2001, 09:12 PM
I think i am in love.. :love:

selhurst
06-10-2001, 09:12 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!! This really was one of those matches. I might have been at home, watching it on TV, but I will never forget this one. 2 mins to go, losing 2-1, and Beckham steps up...

I have to say that David Beckham is one of the greatest players I have ever seen (and I've watched Best, Charlton, Keegan etc). I had tears in my eyes at the end, I've just opened my fourth Stella, and I'm going to have a good night.

James
06-10-2001, 09:17 PM
I have to admit that Beckham was sensational this afternoon. It goes against the grain, because I hate everything to do with ManU. However, Beckam showed how one player can turn a game. He fully deserved his goal (even if it shouldn't have been a free kick).

hellsbells
06-10-2001, 09:22 PM
I think I'm gona marry Sven :love: If it wasn't for that fit blonde bird of his :hmph:

Happy days :D :D :p :p :D :D

firesign
06-10-2001, 09:35 PM
Beckham was out of this world. Even in the 1st half when every other England player was crap, Beckham was still showing his class.

In the 2nd half he totally ran his socks off, he must have ran miles. His determination was incredible and he never gave up. And what a free kick!

Fantastic - King Beckham 10/10

P.S Sheringham was great too, but should have been on earlier 8/10

all the others 4/10 1st half, 6/10 2nd half.

Anyway, as it turns out to qualify over Gemany this way actually makes it all even better :D :D :D

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-10-2001, 09:35 PM
he may play for united
but let's be quite blunt
he made the greek keeper
look like a
completely average performer

hopefully now beckham will get the respect as a player he deserves around the grounds of britain

charltonhater
06-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Oh dear, I must be Scottish after all. No feeling whatsoever when Beckham scored.

Steve in Phoenix
06-10-2001, 09:49 PM
Sorry James - I didnt quite realise you posted that 10 minutes before I responded.. After the words Beckham 90 came up and I was done bouncing off the ceiling, I sat down and saw your post.

If you dont care charltonhater, then why are you posting? If somebody from Croydon came up to you right after Freedman's 87th minute winner last year and said to you "Hello. Oh Freedman scored? I couldnt care less." - what would you think?

:rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
06-10-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by charltonhater
Oh dear, I must be Scottish after all. No feeling whatsoever when Beckham scored.

I know how you feel:rolleyes:

Because I feel exactly the same about Scottish Sports:p

Beckham proved today that he is one of the better players in the World and maybe some of those idiots will get off of his back. What a truely poor perfromance by so many England players. We are lucky to be going on, but it makes me feel great to have seen us beat Germany and know that Scotland have little or no chance of making it:p

charltonhater
06-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix

If you dont care charltonhater, then why are you posting?

Because I'm really confused. For my entire life I have been willing on England to do well and when they finally do I feel absolutely nothing.

pete eagle
06-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Lest we forget, Nigel Martyn an ex-palace player making two crucial saves in the second half

hellsbells
06-10-2001, 09:57 PM
And Southgate kept the bench warm didn't he?

James
06-10-2001, 09:58 PM
Here is the BBC Report:

England 2-2 Greece

David Beckham sent England to the 2002 World Cup finals in the most dramatic fashion imaginable at Old Trafford.

Sven Goran Eriksson's team were trailing Greece 2-1 deep into injury time and looked destined for a difficult play-off against Ukraine. But Beckham, having failed with five previous long-range free kicks, finally secured qualification for Japan and Korea with a virtuoso strike in the 93rd minute.

The Manchester United midfielder unleashed an unstoppable right-foot strike - just as news filtered through of Group 9 rivals Germany's failure to beat Finland. It was an amazing climax to a nail-biting game in which England's character had been tested to the limit.

Substitute Teddy Sheringham looked to have rescued England once when he headed Eriksson's side level with his first touch just 10 seconds after coming on for Robbie Fowler. It was a dream return to Old Trafford for the 35-year-old former Manchester United striker, whose deft touch cancelled out Angelos Charisteas' first-half opener.

But the joy was short lived. Within a minute, England's nervous defence had succumbed to the lively Greeks again, Demis Nikolaidis shrugging off Rio Ferdinand to fire home a dramatic winner.

After the euphoria of the 5-1 win in Germany and the disciplined win over Albania, defeat at the hands of a side which had lost all three of their Group 9 away games would have been a bitter pill to swallow.

The Greeks got men behind the ball in numbers and, with England playing curiously deep, were able to keep possession and dictate the pace of the game for long periods. England, in the first half at least, struggled to hold onto the ball once they did get it. Nikolaidis went close with a stinging volley and Charisteas shot just over before deservedly breaking the deadlock nine minutes before half time.

Right back Christos Patsatzoglou punished Ashley Cole's rash challenge with a nutmeg and then whipped in a cross which Rio Ferdinand could only steer into the path of the grateful Charisteas.

The youngster made no mistake with a clinical finish to become the first Greek player to score against England from open play.

Eriksson responded to England's woeful showing by throwing on Andy Cole for the inneffective Nick Barmby at half-time and England responded with spirit. Sheringham's subsequent introduction added more lift and his superbly-taken header saw him register the fastest ever goal by an England substitute.

But a minute later England dropped the baton once more. Ashley Cole conceded an unnecessary free kick - from which Nikos Dabizas spun away from Gary Neville and Nikolaidis turned Rio Ferdinand to fire home and silence the Old Trafford party. From then it was constant England pressure as Eriksson's side searched for a way back.

Scholes saw a flick saved by the impressive Nikopolidis and Beckham sent a free kick crash into the side netting. Eriksson's most testing week as England manager looked like finishing on the worst possible note until Beckham's dramatic late contribution.

And few would begrudge the England players a drink now.

England: Martyn, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Keown, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Barmby, Fowler, Heskey. Subs: Southgate, Wright, Carragher, Murphy, McManaman, Sheringham, Andy Cole.

Greece: Nikopolidis, Patsatzoglou, Dabizas, Vokolos, Costas Konstantinidis, Fissas, Zagorakis, Kassapis, Karagounis, Charisteas, Nikolaidis. Subs: Venetidis, Basinas, Georgiadis, Chalkias, Lakis, Machlas, Vrizas.

Referee: Dick Jol (Holland)

pete eagle
06-10-2001, 10:03 PM
Southgate wasn't on the bench i think dont even know if he was in the squad, but with Middlesborough's defensive record i think not

selhurst
06-10-2001, 10:05 PM
No feeling whatsoever when Beckham scored.

This says a lot about the kind of person you are.

congress
06-10-2001, 10:09 PM
Sorry Selhurst but i dont agree, it was the result England wanted but to say it was a memorable match is taking the piss.Take Beckham out of the England team and you have an average England team.As John Salako just said on News 24, England only qualified because the Germans f***ed up,they had two games at home to finish the group and they got one point.
Beckham has been doing it for England in the last few matches but how Heskey and Neville get in the England team is beyond me.Neville only looks good because he has Beckham playing in front of him every week.
Scotland have just gone 2-1 up and Kolinko earlier took a catch cleanly!!

selhurst
06-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by congress
Sorry Selhurst but i dont agree, it was the result England wanted but to say it was a memorable match is taking the piss.

Well I thought it was memorable. I really thought England were going to lose, and have to rely on the play-offs. I don't by any means think it was a good performance, and I trully believe that some players (eg Fowler, Scholes, Ashley Cole) should be trully ashamed of their performances.

But you know what, it reminded me a bit of a sunny afternoon in Stockport, back in May. On that day Palace were pretty average too, and it was a boring match. Except for one magical moment, when Dougie Freedman managed to get a shot in... and the rest is history. That was a memorable match too.

Gooders
06-10-2001, 10:26 PM
I will never, ever slag Beckham off again.

As far as I am concerned, he has single handedly got us through to the finals. He was everywhere today and was the only player who seemed to care as much as we (mostly) did.

Scholes and Gerrard were extremely poor today (although we owe them both for previous performances).

Barmby was completely anonymous, as was Fowler.

And as for Heskey - I have said it before and I'll say it again - I fail to see how on earth he is regarded as a top Premier League player, never mind an international. He can't control a pass, he falls over at the slightest touch from players half his size, he gives away loads of needless free-kicks but above all else, he has absolutely no football intelligence whatsoever.

Even Andy Cole looked good compared to Heskey. Ditch him Sven, for God's sake, before it's too late.

Beckham is an absolute jewel and let's all pray that both he and Owen are fit for the finals next year or we'll have no chance.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
06-10-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by firesign
Beckham was out of this world. Even in the 1st half when every other England player was crap, Beckham was still showing his class.

In the 2nd half he totally ran his socks off, he must have ran miles. His determination was incredible and he never gave up. And what a free kick!

Fantastic - King Beckham 10/10

P.S Sheringham was great too, but should have been on earlier 8/10

all the others 4/10 1st half, 6/10 2nd half.

Agree absolutely.

Some things become ever more apparent.

1) Beckham is one of the greatest players, motivationaly and technically ever to wear an England shirt, possibly ANYBODY'S shirt.

2) The attack is weak without Owen.

3) The rest (excluding Scholes on occasion) are journeyman kickers when compared to world (or Palace) standards.

4) It's better to be lucky than good.

5) Unless we can suddeny unearth another 3 or 4 world class players, don't bet a penny on England next year.

5) Showering the Germans with misery never gets boring! :)

Les Butler
06-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Just got in from it ...Jesus Christ what a load of crap !
But for Becham..............

We could have gone into the World cup for the first time in a long time with class but we ended up looking nothing like a team but a bunch who just scraped through( which we did).

One hit wonders that's all we are,well done to Greece you were unlucky.

soogee
06-10-2001, 11:34 PM
I was needing the lav , before beckham scored and I am afraid I wet my self when he scored but It was worth it The place just eruptedxxxx

James Melody
06-10-2001, 11:39 PM
When Beckham stepped up to take THE free-kick I yelled out I would get his name printed on my Palace Shirt if he scored! My mates are holding me to it now!! Oh what do I do!!!!

selhurst
07-10-2001, 12:19 AM
You could be the first/only person with 'BECKHAM' on their Palace shirt... :)

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 12:34 AM
Get his name on the back of your shirt, everyone will find it hilarious!

There are better English players than those in the squad this time around, and these players should be better when the Finals come around. I don't think we can win it, but i think we can show some people that England are getting better.

I have a feeling that youth may get a chance for the forthcoming friendlies: Ledley King, Carrick, Joe Cole and ANYONE to replace Andy Cole... afraid i dont see him as an England player. Hope Owen returns in the same kind of form as he left in, defences seem to be shatting themselves at the thought of facing him.

Men At Work
07-10-2001, 12:54 AM
Don't be too ha.rsh on England because despite having both Andy (not Andrew you pretentious sod) Cole and Heskey up front you still managed to qualify. The main thing I noticed was that in the few times England went wide they looked threatening which is why it was so surprising that they decided to play it down the middle so frequently. In general it was a pretty awful performance but it was enough. Now if only the Aussies can get through and finally get a chance to beat you in yet another sport :)

CPFC_R_GREAT
07-10-2001, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Men At Work
Don't be too ha.rsh on England

Sorry that bit just made me laugh! lol

See seperate thread it was *****!

Mat ov CPFC
07-10-2001, 01:25 AM
Watched the game with a nasty feeling that things may not quite go according to the script but to give crdit where it is due Beckham was quite simply outstanding. He chased every ball, never gave up and at times it seemed as though it was just him playing the Greeks.

My only fear about England in the World cup is that they will struggle to qualify through the first group stage as they seem unable to turn it on against lesser teams ( now why does that sound familar :rolleyes: ). If we manage to beat the likes of Egypt and Saudi Arabia then the next rounds hold no fear for me as I really believe that the England team are capable of holding thier own with the likes of France and Argentina and, on the right day, being easy winners.

CPFC_R_GREAT
07-10-2001, 01:31 AM
Easy Winners??

not sure about that but think the current squad is definatly Semi's material!! But your right about the not playing up to smaller games but then thats the way most teams play!

pete eagle
07-10-2001, 01:33 AM
im going to keep going on about martyn, two great stops to keep us in it

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 02:37 AM
Have Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran qualified this time?

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by ruediger
Wonderful. What a great strike by Beckham. :D

Choose to watch the England game live (instead of Germany's crap with Finnland). German TV commentators went mental when Greece took the lead but I had the last laugh. Made my day. :cool:

??
Ich glaubte, du warst Deutsch??

lightweight
07-10-2001, 04:26 AM
Beckham was fantastic today - totally deserved his goal - the majority of the rest of the team were appalling tho - scholes in particular was atrocious - and gerrad a shadow of the player he can be....... the greeks looked the far better team..

however the free kick at the end certainly takes over all the negative aspects - I'm sure we'll forget how bad a game it was and remember that free kick instead - as selhurst said - just like dougie's goal at stockport!!

Random*
07-10-2001, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by T.O. eagle
England qualify for the World Cup...overpaid or not..

In my mind, definitely overpaid....well most of them...

I hate to say it, but Beckham was after everything today - most of the so called 'superstars' looked as if they didn't want to waste their energy on having a bad game against a second rate international team.

Beckham, however, chased everything he could do in the second half. Its odd that he doesn't seem to put as much into most of his games for Moan Utd. For once from an England player he makes me proud to be English. Some other players either looked as if they were still basking in the glory of the Germany game...looking like they thought that they might as well go to the playoffs when we were behind.

Much as I hate thinking it, Beckham is an English hero, and an absolute golden boy for this country. I have rarely seen such determination and guile to work for anything other than the country.

And we are definitely going to the world cup.

SE20
07-10-2001, 04:38 AM
Beckham was excellent but I think we have to accept that him and Owen and maybe Scholes and Gerrard (though not on todays performances) are the only world class players we have.

lightweight
07-10-2001, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Random*

And we are definitely going to the world cup.

and no-one can argue with that!!!!!! :cool:

Random*
07-10-2001, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by SE20
Beckham was excellent but I think we have to accept that him and Owen and maybe Scholes and Gerrard (though not on todays performances) are the only world class players we have.

No, I think we have more world class players - but at the moment, Beckham and Owen seem to be the only ones to be proud and desperate to play for their country. For that, I would say that they are the only players that could go into a world XI.

Both of their work rates are well above everyone else in the team when we are in strife - although I can't really comment on the defense of a team, as it is their job to chase down what they can. For that, generally, I cannot fault them, it is their skill level that would let them down.

bert head is god
07-10-2001, 05:02 AM
It was one of those games where the outcome was far more important than the performance or even the result. It is perfectly acceptable to celebrate a poor performance because we still qualified.

This being so, we should look to the future. The defending was woeful at times. I cannot beleive an international footballer has still not learned to be goal-side of the man he is defending inside the box. That's the sort of stuff we teach twelve year olds! Scholes had the worst game I've ever seen him play and, as has been stated elsewhere, most of the team did not appear to be taking the opposition seriously.

It pains me to say it but Beckham was outstanding. He worked tirelessly all day and really led by example. I hope that he will persuade some of his colleagues of the pride in wearing an England shirt.

Regardless, it's time to party. I'm off down the pub coz its only eight o'clock here:D :D

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by lightweight
Beckham was fantastic today - totally deserved his goal - the majority of the rest of the team were appalling tho - scholes in particular was atrocious - and gerrad a shadow of the player he can be....... the greeks looked the far better team..

however the free kick at the end certainly takes over all the negative aspects - I'm sure we'll forget how bad a game it was and remember that free kick instead - as selhurst said - just like dougie's goal at stockport!! Absolutely spot on lightweight

PeterH
07-10-2001, 09:41 AM
Feck me that was close.

ruediger
07-10-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East

??
Ich glaubte, du warst Deutsch??

You are absolutely right. I'm german.:)

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ruediger

You are absolutely right. I'm german.:)

Why did it make your day for England to go through instead of Germany?

ruediger
07-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East

Why did it make your day for England to go through instead of Germany?

England is the home country of football. :D

By the way: I'm a Palace supporter since October 1973.:eek:

Germany's style of play ( :rolleyes: ) has never been my cup of tea.

cumbrian_eagles
07-10-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by James Melody
When Beckham stepped up to take THE free-kick I yelled out I would get his name printed on my Palace Shirt if he scored! My mates are holding me to it now!! Oh what do I do!!!!

Your getting in there earlier arent you ;)

We'll sign him when hes about 35 :rolleyes:

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:25 PM

Because I'm really confused. For my entire life I have been willing on England to do well and when they finally do I feel absolutely nothing.

I know exactly how you feel charltonhater. I must have been the only person in the pub not on their feet and going mad. In fact the only thought going through my mind was that beckaham would be even more big headed than ever now. I cheered both Scottish goals (especially Dougie's) with a passion though.

Admittedly I am half welsh, and support Wales over England but couldnt understand why I wasnt more excited. Maybe I wanted to see some of those primadonnas brought down a peg or two?

I hope I can gather some enthusiasm for the national team come next summer and the world cup finals.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by James Melody

Why not just go the whole hog and buy a Man U Shirt with his name on the back?:rolleyes: