PDA

View Full Version : England a Joke

ozeagle
07-10-2001, 07:30 AM
You blokes must be kidding yourselves.
FIFA does it's best to have you included in the WC. A cheaty free kick in the dying moments getting a DRAW v Greece of all nations. Qualified with the last kick in the weakest group, the fact Germany couldn't slide one past Finland testimony to that. Can't wait til we meet you in the WC.
The only way you'll progress past r1 of the WC is if you play Kewell on the left, with Owen up front, and the cum in goal. Actually, you'll need 9 Kewell's, an Owen and a Cum.
Pathetic.
:p

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 07:37 AM
Poor attempt at a wind up Oz,even for you:rolleyes:

England are there already,are the Aussies?

Les Butler
07-10-2001, 07:42 AM
Yeah we were crap but what would you give to be in our shoes ?

Keep on dreaming and chucking that egg shaped ball around mate....

ozeagle
07-10-2001, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Les Butler
Yeah we were crap but what would you give to be in our shoes ?

Keep on dreaming and chucking that egg shaped ball around mate....

The way you blokes played last night, I thought YOU were playing with an egg shaped ball.
We have no need to be in your shoes, we'll smash through Uruguay, after all, we have Harry Kewell !
:cool:

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle

The way you blokes played last night, I thought YOU were playing with an egg shaped ball.
:cool: Yeah,but everyone played absolute sh!te except Beckham(and I'd probably say Martyn) and we still didn't lose.

Come back and gloat if Australia get further than England in the world Cup ....Oh thats right ,you haven't qualified yet have you?:rolleyes:

ozeagle
07-10-2001, 08:51 AM
Don't even start with that ****e that we might not make it.
Even you with your pro-anglo sentiment would have to agree that we'll breeze past the 5TH PLACED ( ie; losers ) Sth American mob.
We will make it, only you won't get to see it live. Tee hee.
:hmph:

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 09:01 AM
Oz,I'd like to see Australia qualify but for you to say they will "breeze" past a south american opponent(either uraguay or Brazil) is arrogant and totally wrong.

and why can't you congratulate England for qualifying?they did the job they had to do didn't they?by winning their group,and BTW it was hardly the weakest group.

ozeagle
07-10-2001, 09:12 AM
Sydney Eagle, yes credit must go to England for qualifying, but it's hardly a landmark effort. With the strongest comp in the world, they can't even knock off soccer minnows Greece at home. Not an enthralling way to get into the WC, having to wait on Germany to play out a draw with Aki and his mates.
When are you going to get rid of those duds Neville, Keown and co. Play your best side, not the regular one.
Don't get me wrong, my entire family is English, I want them to do well, but last night's effort was a farce, the free kick ridiculous. Engalnd would want to lift or it'll be out in the first round.
:eek:

little badge
07-10-2001, 09:14 AM
you with your pro-anglo sentiment would have to agree that we'll breeze past the 5TH PLACED ( ie; losers ) Sth American mob. We will make it, only you won't get to see it live. Tee hee.

Like you breezed past Iran last time?

:rolleyes:

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 09:24 AM
Oz,I'll be the first to admit last night we were pathetic but to me that shows a sign of a great team(in the making at least) because we played as badly as we did but still didn't get beaten,if that was England a year ago we would never of won that game from that position.

Yes we probably do need to make a few changes but Sven now has until the world cup to sort that out.I'm not worried at all,yesterdays game was just a "bad day at the office"so to speak but they did the job and qualified.

Les Butler
07-10-2001, 10:04 AM
I think that's the dif between us and you OZ Maybe England did have a bad game but even on a bad day we would beat the semi pro stuff you dish out over there and I think the Greeks would hammer you guys, you just don't have the leagues to do it in OZ.
Just put Australia into a European World cup group and they would be crushed beyond belief by even the smaller teams like Germany and such .

It's nice to dream but you also have to be realistic when you wake up :)

Here's the World rankings in the real World

http://www.fifa.com/rank/main_E_latest.html

Just look at the cracking teams that are ahead of you........

Oh I must add that I would love it if Australia got into the World cup.
I would cheer them on.

Steve in Phoenix
07-10-2001, 11:12 AM
Actually you're wrong - England qualifying was a landmark effort. Germany NEVER failed to automatically qualify before, indeed they had never been beaten at home before much less by 4 goals (we'll count out the Portugal result years ago because it was a completely dead rubber).

Again you're wrong - England did not wait for Germany to play out a draw - Germany finished their game first and England stepped up when it was needed and took the qualifying spot from them in the last minute - sweet!

Group Nine is not the strongest but neither is it the weakest. Group 7 has Austria in second - they probably couldnt even finish 4th in ours. Then there is 4 and 6.

Oh and a FIFA conspiracy is utterly laughable - they would be much happier were England not to qualify.

Best of luck to Australia. It would be great to see them qualify.

sydney eagle
07-10-2001, 11:18 AM
haha thought you'd be in here earlier Steve :D :p

Skid Row
07-10-2001, 11:42 AM
Even I hope Australia dont make it just so everyone can stick it up your ass ozeagle. You are a tool.

Steve in Phoenix
07-10-2001, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
haha thought you'd be in here earlier Steve :D :p

Heheh :D I was watching the Phoenix Coyotes - Edmonton Oilers game.. lost 6-2 :grrr:

Actually Skid Row, I think it would be an education for ozeagle - to see what its like to play in the big time.

;)

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
07-10-2001, 12:35 PM
It was a terrible performance apart from Beckham who never gave up all match.

Im ashamed at how poor we played, especially when I was wearing my England shirt and thinking "We are So Sh*t".

But in football, No team plays well every game and at the end of the day, its the result that matters and we got the result we needed to Qualify, so who cares huh?

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 03:45 PM
I was in OZ and watched that Australia v Iran game and never have I seen a team bottle it in such a big style. Oz Eagle, jump the gun with your cocky prediction of beating Uraguay, you don't want to slip up again

CPFC_R_GREAT
07-10-2001, 03:49 PM

We have no need to be in your shoes, we'll smash through Uruguay, after all, we have Harry Kewell !
:cool:

yes but u also have Nicky Rizzo!

Brett
07-10-2001, 04:28 PM
Uruguay?

1997 - oh how we sang, "Iran but you f*cked it up, Iran but you f*cked it up"...

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:29 PM
What I want to know, is how the hell did Germany fail to beat Finland at home?? Had they already given up hope for coming 1st in the group. That and the free kick deep into stoppage time that should never have been a free kick atall suggest to me that England are fast becoming the Man U of international football when it comes to jamminess.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
I was in OZ and watched that Australia v Iran game and never have I seen a team bottle it in such a big style. Oz Eagle, jump the gun with your cocky prediction of beating Uraguay, you don't want to slip up again

Yeah but to eb fair they did have a fat lump of thieving **** for a manager at the time!

Brett
07-10-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East
England are fast becoming the Man U of international football when it comes to jamminess.

Dont speak too soon.

The Germans are in the back door remember...

NottsEagle
07-10-2001, 05:08 PM
What do you do if Kewell gets injured oz?

pete eagle
07-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Australia - Viduka,Kewell.... that's it

Brazil - rivaldo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Silviniho and theres more

Si121
07-10-2001, 06:06 PM
I'd love to see the Aussies beat germany 5-1.

David Murray
07-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Brett

The Germans are in the back door remember...

Don't write off Ukraine just yet :p

Steve in Phoenix
07-10-2001, 08:37 PM
What I want to know, is how the hell did Germany fail to beat Finland at home??

Germany hadnt given up hope.. they had plenty of chances. Finland played very well, actually dominating a lot without creating open chances.. mostly glanced headers and last minute interceptions. But Germany hit the bar and post and the goalie made at least two top class saves.. it was just one of those nights where nothing will go in. Finland are fast becoming one of the most underrated teams in Europe.

By the way Germany got plenty of dodgy free kicks decisions their way too, they just didnt score. England did.

Its about time England enjoyed some luck too I say. Ray Parlour's goal-that-never-was anyone? That was a pretty big thing.

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Its about time England enjoyed some luck too I say. Ray Parlour's goal-that-never-was anyone? That was a pretty big thing.
The Observer had an amusing take on this today:
"Had he aimed a couple of inches lower his shot might have gone in under the crossbar, and England might have won in Helsinki. Then the FA would have had to appoint Howard Wilkinson manager, or at least extended his caretakership, Eriksson would have won the Champions League with Lazio and England winning 5-1 in Germany would remain in the realms of fantasy. Sorry Ray, but it's probably better this way":o

firesign
07-10-2001, 08:55 PM
Fact. The England performance yesterday was extremely poor.

Fact. England have won thier group and qualified automatically for next year's World Cup finals.

At the start of the World Cup campaign the only objective is qualification. England have achieved that.

Australia have yet to do so. Come back when they qualify ozeagle.

Men At Work
08-10-2001, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Australia - Viduka,Kewell.... that's it

You're forgetting Craig Foster :)

Not to mention Craig Moore, Popovich, Emerton, Okon, Tiatto, and even Muscat. It's a bit like the Irish team - only a couple of class players but a team that becomes much more than the sum of its parts.

sydney eagle
08-10-2001, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Si121
I'd love to see the Aussies beat germany 5-1. IN germany

Si121
08-10-2001, 04:49 AM
I was going to add that but realised it wouldn't make any difference to Australia where they played them. They'd still lose. Not knocking 'em. The're a good team. Just not as good as England.

philaire
08-10-2001, 09:06 AM
IN germany Syd I can see you poms dining out on that result for the next 35 years, just as you spent the previous 35 dining out on 4-2 even when the critical goal didn't cross the line!

I agree we'd never beat Germany 5-1 in Germany but only because we could never organise a fixture there! Couldnt even organise any warm-up game over the last weekend; even Lithuania turned us down! We're going to be pitifully short of match practice just as we were for 2-2 Iran.

sydney eagle
08-10-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by philaire
Syd I can see you poms dining out on that result for the next 35 years, just as you spent the previous 35 dining out on 4-2 even when the critical goal didn't cross the line! It says it did in the record books,thats all that matters. Also wasn't it the first time in 81 games or something that Germany had been beaten in Germany?

I agree we'd never beat Germany 5-1 in Germany but only because we could never organise a fixture there!I'd expect a comment like that from OZ,but come on Philaire,are you seriously saying Australia could do that?:eek:

As I said earlier I'd like to see Australia qualify,but it's not going to be as easy as most of you guys think.

philaire
08-10-2001, 11:27 AM
It says it did in the record books,thats all that matters. Also wasn't it the first time in 81 games or something that Germany had been beaten in Germany?Not denying it was a great result; just contemplating how often one will be reminded of itI'd expect a comment like that from OZ,but come on Philaire,are you seriously saying Australia could do that?I wasn't speculating on the result (I'll leave that to Oz); just stating that it was a hypothetical question!I'd like to see Australia qualify,but it's not going to be as easy as most of you guys think. I think the irrepressible Oz is the only one stating that it's going to be easy. Those of us who have endured 28 years since the last qualifying success certainly aren't counting any chickens! IMHO Uruguay have a more substantial footballing pedigree than say Iran.

sydney eagle
08-10-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by philaire
.Not denying it was a great result; just contemplating how often one will be reminded of itI we won't have to next year when we win the world cup;) :p

philaire
08-10-2001, 01:09 PM
we won't have to next year when we win the world cup;) :p I'll store that one away!;)

Eagle of the East
08-10-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Si121
I was going to add that but realised it wouldn't make any difference to Australia where they played them. They'd still lose. Not knocking 'em. The're a good team. Just not as good as England.

And do you think Greece are as good a team as England?

Sunny Fan
08-10-2001, 01:42 PM

And do you think Greece are as good a team as England?
Patently not, although England underperformed on Saturday. That sort of thing happens in football. Last January (between legs) did you really think that Palace were a better team than Liverpool? No, we'd just achieved what makes football special - an unexpected result. England finished way above Greece in the qualifying table; that makes England a better team over time than Greece at the moment.

Eagle of the East
08-10-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Patently not, although England underperformed on Saturday. That sort of thing happens in football. Last January (between legs) did you really think that Palace were a better team than Liverpool? No, we'd just achieved what makes football special - an unexpected result. England finished way above Greece in the qualifying table; that makes England a better team over time than Greece at the moment.

Exactly the point I was trying to make to si121, who had claimed that Australia werent as good a team as england and wouldnt win. So whos to say Australia couldnt beat England or Germany? After all, they beat Scotland.
Once again English arrogance shone through before the Greece game, with all the pundits saying "we WILL beat Greece"
When will the Engish learn that they dont have a divine right to beat anyone? (except maybe San Marino)

DE - Glad All Over
08-10-2001, 02:25 PM
You blokes must be kidding yourselves.

Thank you for showing interest in our group, it still intrigues me that the colonials find the mother country facinating and follow our football so much, I must admit that I didn't know that Australia were even competing.

Si121
08-10-2001, 06:33 PM

Exactly the point I was trying to make to si121, who had claimed that Australia werent as good a team as england and wouldnt win. So whos to say Australia couldnt beat England or Germany? After all, they beat Scotland.
Once again English arrogance shone through before the Greece game, with all the pundits saying "we WILL beat Greece"
When will the Engish learn that they dont have a divine right to beat anyone? (except maybe San Marino)

What about Angola? ;)

philaire
09-10-2001, 08:27 AM
Just to add some useless information, the last time Australia played Greece, it also was a draw:

November 11 1980, Panathinaikos stadium (Attendance : 11,300)

Greece 3 (Damanakis 25, Domazos 67, Dalikaris 89pen)
Australia 3 (Cole 24, Barnes 84, Selemidis 88)
Referee : Vasilis Vourakis

Coach : Rudi Gutendorf (Australia), Altekas Panagoulias (Greece)

It was shown live in Australia with guest commentator Hugh Johns, who deplored (as did all Aussie viewers) the home town penalty awarded (by the Greek ref) in 89th minute.

Steve in Phoenix
09-10-2001, 08:42 AM

And this is solely an English quality? Somehow I dont think so. Being arrogant is an accusation levelled at everybody from France to Germany. After all England didnt book friendlies in November assuming they had won the group already.

Yes everyone said we would beat them. Why? Because on paper, we're far better. Whats wrong with that? Nothing. Nobody said we had a divine right to beat them.

Ben Allan
09-10-2001, 09:28 AM
As I am currently living in Australia I have had the mis fortune of having to watch the National League Soccer here to get my footy fix while im here , And I have to say a An Average first Div team would win the league here comfortably,the standard is shocking,The only highlight Of watching Ozzie soccer is I watched Craig Foster get sent off for two stupid challenges (no Change there then).So having some kind of insight into the Ozzie team I'd have to say 2 very good players in Kewell and Viduka (one of which left Australia at the age of 16 to harness his skills in England )The rest of the team is very average and will most likely get beaten by any of the South American teams. I'd also like to see Australia beat Germany 5-1 in there own back yard !!
P.S Neither Kewell or Viduka can be arsed to even play for their national side thats what they think of Australian soccer.
PPS. Well done for the Scotland game Dougie !

sydney eagle
09-10-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Ben Allan
, And I have to say a An Average first Div team would win the league here comfortably,the standard is shocking,Oh finally,I'm not the only one who thinks this.

philaire
09-10-2001, 10:36 AM
Nice provocative post for starters Ben!;)
Originally posted by Ben Allan
I have had the mis fortune of having to watch the National League Soccer here to get my footy fix while im here , And I have to say a An Average first Div team would win the league here comfortablyWell surprise surprise - tell us something we didnt know! Just to help you with your expert view, the National Soccer League has struggled for all of its 24 seasons - for a variety of reasons - with league restructures, extremely poor administration, different formats, clubs folding, poor TV coverage, inconsistent but generally poor crowds, and a mainstream population that still calls it "*** ball".

You may have noticed we haven't got a professional game over here. This fact has meant that especially in the last 5-10 years, all of the decent players leave to play overseas. Check out the Rothmans Football Yearbook and see which country behind Norway accounts for the most players in the English leagues. And not just England - for your ongoing education, check out "Aussies Abroad" at www.theworldgame.com.au.So having some kind of insight into the Ozzie teami'll take that claim with the proverbial grain of salt ... Neither Kewell or Viduka can be arsed to even play for their national side thats what they think of Australian soccer.Rubbish. The reality is that they are the latest in a long line of overseas based players to have substantial pressures brought to bear on them by their club management. I reckon O'Leary has become an expert at manufacturing injuries for Kewell whenever he's called up! Until fixtures for the national team are consistently held in Europe and are synchronised to the international calendar, we will always have this problem.... will most likely get beaten by any of the South American teams.we'll see, but if they do, the reason will have more to do with lack of genuine and regular fixtures for the no.1 squad than anything else. The reality is stuck in the Oceania group Australia gets no fair-dinkum fixtures except for a World Cup playoff once every 4 years, and when it tries to get a squad together for games against decent opposition (eg. its wins over Brazil and France in the Confederations Cup), they're dismissed as "meaningless friendlies"!:)

Eagle of the East
09-10-2001, 01:36 PM

Yes everyone said we would beat them. Why? Because on paper, we're far better. Whats wrong with that? Nothing. Nobody said we had a divine right to beat them.

You just dont say We WILL beat so and so.
I think it was the Guy who writes for the Express (ex Sun) and he was very emphatic about it, very cocky.

Did we say that palace WILL beat Leyton Orient in the cup? No, we said we SHOULD beat them.

With respected media pundits saying dismissively that england WILL win, and only discussing what the goal margin would be iss arrogance I'm afraid.
It is something that has been evident for years, with no respect atall given to any of the smaller sides.

Steve in Phoenix
09-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Well you are entitled to your opinion even if I feel it is more out of anti-Englishness than logic.

You bring up a tabloid trash talker to show England are arrogant. I can tell you nobody in the English FA talked that way. Sven himself was emphatic about respecting the Greeks and their coach as were all the English players. Plenty of respect coming from all of them for a small side. In total contrast, the German FA booked friendlies in November at the same time as the playoffs for christ's sake. Not a tabloid trash talker, the national FA.

Finland thrashed Greece 5-1, England thrashed Germany 5-1, the Greeks had never won in England and were in dismal form - all the evidence pointed overwhelmingly to a win for England. Arrogance isnt a bad thing if it doesnt cloud your football judgement, all the great sides have it.

Eagle of the East
09-10-2001, 06:23 PM
Well you are entitled to your opinion even if I feel it is more out of anti-Englishness than logic.

You bring up a tabloid trash talker to show England are arrogant.

A) I am not anti english! Perhaps you could say I was anti the way the england team is portrayed by the media
B) Like it or not the "tabloid trash" culture and opinion is prevalent in this society reagrdless of what the actual england camp (who I am not referring to) say or think.

Steve in Phoenix
09-10-2001, 07:12 PM
OK fair enough - I agree with you about some of the English media. Most of the tabloid stuff is not worth kitty litter. However since living abroad I have come to see that the broadsheets we have are exceptionally good quality - which isnt surprising considering newspapers are a national fetish.

I misunderstood your statements such as "England have to learn they dont have a divine right" and "no respect is given at all to the small sides" as referring to the football team/country rather than just the media.

Chocky
09-10-2001, 07:51 PM
Oh we're all going to get b*ggered by bin Laden anyway (hopefully Venables & Foster will drown in thier own p*ss first), so come on lets get smashed and go down the brass-yard.

Semi finals of next World Cup
England v Australia
USA v Palace

Finals abandoned cos we're all brilliant except for USA who can't speak properly and say candy instead of sweets and Austrailia who can't say sadist properly. Or privacy. And Harold Bishop is a fat c***.

Les Butler
09-10-2001, 08:23 PM
When I read a newspaper I am intelligent enough (Just) to know it's one persons point of view , that's it no more or no less and I would not get so upset because of a Sun back page headline and form a judgment as strong as that......I think there's more to this than meets the eye with you EOTE.

And you do sound vary "anti English" lets take a look before you changed it over to being the bad newspapers..............
-------------------------------------
You said......

"When will the English learn that they don't have a divine right to beat anyone? (except maybe San Marino)"

"suggest to me that England are fast becoming the Man U of international football when it comes to jamminess."
----------------------------------------

You sound a little bit jealous and bitter ? Which national team did you say you went for again Boyo ? :)

Oisin
09-10-2001, 10:08 PM
It's quite hard to esitimate how good Australia are as they ahven't played a competitive game against a decent nation since Iran.