PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 03:52 PM
Like many football fans, I've always hated David Beckham. There are so many reasons why it's easy to boo him when they play us - he's from London but supports Man United, he plays for Man United, the England v Argentina match in 1998, his stupid haircuts, his missus Posh, he called his kid Brooklyn. I could go on and on...

But after watching that Greece match and seeing him run and run and run and basically get us to the World Cup on his own (and he's played with that much passion in every single game since being given the Captain's armband), I will never slate him or give him abuse when (if) we ever play United again.

I hate to say it but I think he's absolute class and is already becoming one of the England's greatest players ever. That goes for Owen as well.

CPFC_R_GREAT
07-10-2001, 03:55 PM
I never hated him!

I think all those that did/are are just childish to really hate a man for being sent off! Especially a year/two years later

Brett
07-10-2001, 03:59 PM
Hate is a strong word which says more about you than it does about him...

CPFC_R_GREAT
07-10-2001, 04:00 PM
And also how can u hate a man for calling his child Brooklyn??

AJ
07-10-2001, 04:04 PM
I have always admired Beckham. Can't say the same about MU though. It's a shame, that at last we have a world class midfielder and for the past 4 years everyone has been against him. Typical British, when we get something good, everyone is jealous.

lightweight
07-10-2001, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately not everyone can change their views - a bloke sitting behind me at St James' Park for the Albania game - boooed Beckham everytime he was annouced - just because he plays for man utd - and this guy was a newcastle fan - I know he was a minority but it was so annoying and probably just showed how shallow he was - to be honest what's the point in following your country's team and having that much dislike for one of the players.

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Hate is a strong word which says more about you than it does about him...

Maybe hate is too strong a word, in this case, Brett, but don't start on your poxy moral highground with me. Perhaps dislike is a better word, fair enough.

I was trying to start a discussion about the booing, abuse Beckham gets at matches and in the press, and how I am happy to eat humble pie, not give you a chance to swan around in your halo passing judgement on people you have never met.

You seem to have a lot of hatred for people yourself - particularly about CPFC staff. Who are they worse than, again, please remind me?

That said a lot more about you then the CPFC staff.

alpha
07-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear

But after watching that Greece match and seeing him run and run and run and basically get us to the World Cup on his own (and he's played with that much passion in every single game since being given the Captain's armband), I will never slate him or give him abuse when (if) we ever play United again.

He seemed to be one of the few, if not the only England player who was giving 100% at the game. I think that he has certainly matured as an international player over the last year. My one reservation is that as England captain, he seems to be a bit quiet in terms of motivating and organising the other players.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by CPFC_R_GREAT
And also how can u hate a man for calling his child Brooklyn??

I would have thought that is ample cause for hatred, and I am just talking about from the poor kid's point of view! I would certainly hate my dad if he had given me a name like that!:o

Brett
07-10-2001, 04:23 PM
You seem to have a lot of hatred for people yourself - particularly about CPFC staff. Who are they worse than, again, please remind me?

That said a lot more about you then the CPFC staff.

You use the word seem. Funny how you cant recollect me actually using the sentence "I hate such and such"...

Just a thought.

My comments about CPFC staff were totally vindicated. You can write to Simon Jordan, Dominic Risebro or Robbie Tobin if you want to be filled in the story behind the comments...

Simply I believe you are a small minded toss-pot who is just jealous of David Beckham.

Luckily, you and many others like you mean absolutely nothing to the bloke.

I could say "argghhh" but you made enough of a fool of yourself without me adding to it...

:D

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:26 PM
They are going to have to build a new stand at Old Trafford just to accomodate his vastly swollen ego now though......

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 04:35 PM

Simply I believe you are a small minded toss-pot who is just jealous of David Beckham.

Luckily, you and many others like you mean absolutely nothing to the bloke.

:D
All rise to the great god, all knowing, perfect Brett. If only we were as saintly and perfect as you.

You moan about those people on the BBS giving you grief at games because of your posts, and you often complain about people calling you names on the BBS, and the PMs you get full of abuse, then you resort to calling someone a toss-pot and small minded instead of forming a constructinve arguement.

I have been humble enough to say 'hate' was the wrong word (only just got out of bed with a hangover on a Sunday morning, so again, fair enough, apologies, typing a bit fast), but you just can't help yourself can you?

Discussion with you closed, Brett. It's boring and I don't want to carry on inflating your already Blimp sized ego.

I could say Aaaarrrggg :D but you make a fool of yourself often enough on these boards anyway.

Brett
07-10-2001, 04:38 PM
"Mr Jones, we appear to be dealing with an unidentified quasi intelligent life form here, what should we do..."

"Shoot him".

Thank you for taking such interest in my BBS career. Tell me, should Dave start giving me performance related pay?

I'm off to church to join the choir now - have much humbling to do... :D

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 04:43 PM
To be fair I think Beckham is hated by many fans around the country. I dont think its too strong a word.

James Melody
07-10-2001, 04:51 PM
Beckham is a loving father, who loves his wife and plays with pride for his country. Would you rather have a drunken wife beater (Gazza?) or some other tosser...... Lets give Becks a bit of respect!!

Three Cheers For David Beckham!

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 05:03 PM
I don't hate him. I admire him.

After coming through the hate campaign after the World Cup he has matured into England's leader and soon to be Man U's captain too i reckon. He is a model father/husband and you NEVER hear things about him being in a strip club or drunk on the town before a game. Never.

He has gone away from the typical football "Lad" image and is now becoming an idol for kids to follow in the way they approach their lives. Some journalist guy last night said that he is "boring" in terms of a scandalous story, but the jouno was full of praise for what he has done.

Talk about handling pressure too. 93rd minute, we need to score to qualify. He says to Sheringham "it's mine" and curls it into the corner. 8 Goalies would not have saved that.

APR
07-10-2001, 05:06 PM
I agree.. Beckham was magnificent yesterday.

He put in so much work for the team, as well as holding his nerve at the end.

Top Man

:p

pete eagle
07-10-2001, 05:34 PM
No-one hated Beckham, he was just the easy target for the fans because we went out. (No-one seems to remember the fact that with 10 men we still scored which was disallowed and i still wonder why today)
And also no-one booed the people who missed the penalties which was the reason we went out, not Beckham getting sent off

Si121
07-10-2001, 06:01 PM
Well said Pete Eagle. Becks Doesn't take penalties anyway...We were one penalty up and Shi**y Batty missed with a crap penalty. Apart from that, Beckham shouldn't have got sent off anyway...You could do that as hard as you possibly could to someone and it wouldn't hurt. It deserved a booking maybe just for a warning, but that's it. All them reasons gave for hating Beckham were no decent reason at all. Lots of people in London support Man u. Half of them are just glory hunters. I think Becks has proved that he isn't. He plays for united??? Whoopie doo! Most of the best players in this country do. Stupid haircuts? They look alright if you ask me. The reasons he has them is because he is a fashion icon and likes people to follow him. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with Posh. She's made a lot of money what she does and after wtching her on the Parkinson show she does it quite well too. She's geniunely a nice person and the're the perfect couple. And their son being called Brooklyn? Why's that any reason to hate him at all. It's a fine name anyway. How else could you go on and on by the way? I'd like to hear them.
Have you only just realised that he's absolute class? I realised from the first time I ever saw him play. Good to hear that you won't ever give him anymore grief at games. Until England go out of the world cup or something. You'll probably blame him for that too.

sexyrazor
07-10-2001, 06:05 PM
There is only one way to descibe Sir Becks;

GOLDEN BALLS

:) :love:

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Si121
Lots of people in London support Man u. Half of them are just glory hunters. I think Becks has proved that he isn't

How has he proved that??
Did he have family from manchester? No.

firesign
07-10-2001, 06:07 PM
I can't praise Beckham highly enough. In a sport where superlatives are handed out to all and sundry Beckham makes a mockery of them all. He is a truly great player and yesterday he proved that he is a man amongst men. I don't think there has been a game where one man has contributed so much.

Yesterday, David Beckham did something that is priceless. He made people happy. If like me, you had a few jars and were in a good mood all evening then you can thank him for it.

And yes I was those people who 'disliked' Beckham but he has proved us all wrong big time.

All hail King David!

Si121
07-10-2001, 06:10 PM
He's proved it by playing for them. He could have easily gone to AC Milan or Barcelona or anyone for that matter. Even though the Shi* he gets from all the Dic*head fans like you at United he stays there and helps them win the league every year.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:32 PM
He's proved it by playing for them. He could have easily gone to AC Milan or Barcelona or anyone for that matter. Even though the Shi* he gets from all the Dic*head fans like you at United he stays there and helps them win the league every year.

That doesnt prove that when he was a kid he didnt choose Man United because he was a glory hunter!
Admit it - You're just another Surrey Red

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:37 PM
Stupid haircuts? They look alright if you ask me. The reasons he has them is because he is a fashion icon and likes people to follow him. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with Posh. She's made a lot of money what she does and after wtching her on the Parkinson show she does it quite well too. She's geniunely a nice person and the're the perfect couple. And their son being called Brooklyn? Why's that any reason to hate him at all. It's a fine name

si121 - Do you read Hello and OK Magazine by any chance? :rolleyes:

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 06:37 PM
For years now we've knon that Beckham is a class footballer, but in the last year he's risen above that and put in some of the very best individual performances that I have ever seen. His second-half yesterday in particular was awesome. And all this just three short years after getting more abuse than I can remember any footballer ever getting. His character and dignity since Argentina, and now his maturity, responsibility, skill, committment and heart have done more than anything to get England to the World Cup.
Absolute hero.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 06:39 PM
I think I'm going to throw up if I hear much more of this.
Why dont we all just go and support Man U? After all they're the best team in the country and we can watch our hero every week......:rolleyes:

Si121
07-10-2001, 06:42 PM
I'm just praising the best player in the country. He deserves it.

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East
Why dont we all just go and support Man U? After all they're the best team in the country and we can watch our hero every week......:rolleyes:
I'd rather not be so churlish, forget Moan Utd, he was playing for England and produced another outstanding display, as I said, one of the best individual performances I've seen. I'm a football fan as well as a Palace fan, and recognise superb play. When it's someone for a team I'm supporting (in yesterday's case, England) that makes it all the better; when it's simply fantastic football (eg some of Zidane's performances in Euro 2000) I just love to watch it and admire the skill.

congress
07-10-2001, 06:58 PM
Si,no wonder you got that wedding invite.
Beckham in the last few England games has proved he is a very good player.
As for his domestic life,take his misses away and he is a normal bloke,she is responsible for 90% of the crap he receives.I just laugh at people who think they are important enough to have thrones at their wedding.

selhurst
07-10-2001, 07:03 PM
You have to really love the game, to appreciate it. I just enjoyed watching Beckham yesterday, does it really matter which club he plays for? The BBC commentator John Motson, at the end of the match, said he was glad Beckham had scored because for much of the game it was Beckham v Greece, rather than England v Greece.

pallet
07-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Beckham has more passion for playing for England than any other player I have seen for a long time, he was pure class yesterday , has he has been for nearly every England game. He deserves all the credit he gets. END OF STORY

Steve in Phoenix
07-10-2001, 07:39 PM
That doesnt prove that when he was a kid he didnt choose Man United because he was a glory hunter!

When he was a kid, Man United didnt have any glories to hunt! If that were really the case, he would be at Liverpool.

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 07:43 PM
There is a conflict in the Beckham household. His bird wants to be on the front pages and he does not. She NEEDS to be on them and he would do anything to stop himself being on them.

So, Victoria, stop saying bad stuff about him! the Knickers incident for example, the sarong thing too.

bert head is god
07-10-2001, 07:58 PM
While I understand and agree with a lot of the anti Moan Utd glory-hunter venom, there is a small factual inaccuracy. Beckham had a trial with Spurs as a kid but the coaches said he was too small and they rejected him. Man Utd made him an offer and he accepted it.

The bottom line is that I have never liked the guy, but his performance yesterday was inspirational. He worked harder than anyone else on the pitch and that's good enough for me.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix

When he was a kid, Man United didnt have any glories to hunt! If that were really the case, he would be at Liverpool.

But Man U has always had a certain glamour, which seems to attract the weak, regardless of success on the pitch

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 08:06 PM

But Man U has always had a certain glamour, which seems to attract the weak, regardless of success on the pitch

Sounds like an excuse to me... Spurs rejected him, Man U offered a deal and he accepted it. Wouldn't you?

If no one else was asking for you to join them, been rejected by a local team and Man U come in...

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash

Sounds like an excuse to me... Spurs rejected him, Man U offered a deal and he accepted it. Wouldn't you?

If no one else was asking for you to join them, been rejected by a local team and Man U come in...

Beckham was a Man U fan from an early age, regardless of who came in for him and who didnt, and long before he was offered any deal.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:08 PM
Noone begurdges Beckham wanting to play for Man U as a youngster, but why did he support them long before that instead of a London side?

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 08:12 PM
Noone begurdges Beckham wanting to play for Man U as a youngster, but why did he support them long before that instead of a London side?

Does it matter?? Maybe he was in love with Bryan Robson or something.

There are people on here from all over the world who support Palace! Loads of Scandinavians support Liverpool, and have done for a long time.
There are supporters clubs all over the world for English sides.

I honestly reckon that if Spurs had offered him a deal before Man U showed an interest, he'd be playing for Spurs.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:26 PM

I honestly reckon that if Spurs had offered him a deal before Man U showed an interest, he'd be playing for Spurs.

You reckon he'd still be there now!!?:o

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 08:35 PM
Eagle of the East
Best in the League

I can only feel pity for you, your dislike (hate) of a player who represented his Country is very sick.
As it has been mentioned by so many, who cares who he plays for. I have never been a fan of anything to do with Manchester (Football), but whenever a player from either team has represented England, I have given them my full support.
You are just another example of what is sick about a small percentage of England supporters.
I do not believe the few Scottish fans that turned up yesterday went out of their way to give The Doug" a hard time because he played for us or because he lives in London. Are we going to hear from you that we should sell all of our non English players. may I ask how you feel about Morrison playing for Eire?

firesign
07-10-2001, 08:45 PM
to Eagle of the East...

give it a rest PLEASE!!!!

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 08:49 PM

A lot of people get booed in football for a lot of reasons

Kevin Miller - a lot of Palace fans give him torrid abuse when we should be worrying about our team's performance. Yes he was out of order, but how much abuse does one man deserve. Get over it.

Ian Wright - 'ain't got no birth certificate'. Remember that? No wonder he kissed his Arsenal badge after the grief he got from us. One of our legends, who got terrible abuse from many Palace fans with short memories.

Phil Barber, Ricky Newman - Newman was in tears during one game the abuse was so bad from his own fans.

That surely means then there's a lot of other 'D*ckheads out there as well.

Everyone 'dislikes' players. Ask Soundbyter about Rodger. A friend of mine, for no apparent reason, can't stand Watford's Neil Cox. Never met him, of course. A lot of people don't like Shearer - he's boring, he's arrongant, blah, blah. I have met Shearer, and he's a really nice bloke.

As for Beckham, yes I've booed him, as much because he is a Man United player, in the same way I'd boo Ince or Shmeichel. I didn't like Beckham, I didn't like his thrones, names for children or often arrogance and self importance of his very untalented wife.

There are a lot of people out there who really DO hate Becks. The people who hung a dummy of him outside a pub, or chased him in his car. That is very different from booing a player during a match.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
Eagle of the East
Best in the League

I can only feel pity for you, your dislike (hate) of a player who represented his Country is very sick.
As it has been mentioned by so many, who cares who he plays for. I have never been a fan of anything to do with Manchester (Football), but whenever a player from either team has represented England, I have given them my full support.
You are just another example of what is sick about a small percentage of England supporters.
I do not believe the few Scottish fans that turned up yesterday went out of their way to give The Doug" a hard time because he played for us or because he lives in London. Are we going to hear from you that we should sell all of our non English players. may I ask how you feel about Morrison playing for Eire?

First of all I am not an England Supporter, when it comes to International Football I support Wales, being half welsh from my Father's (my biggest influence) side. My "support" for england is similar to my "support" for Ipswich Town, I am fond of the town because I live there, and will cheer them on in important matches but I have little passion for the side, saving that for CPFC.
Secondly, my dislike of Beckham has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he plays for Man U - Ryan Giggs plays for Man U and I always cheer him on when he plays for Wales.

So think you've misunderstood that a bit.

I dont like Beckham, but I never said I hated him. To me he eptomises everything that is wrong with the english game right now, I'm talking about the hype, the 50 grand a week wages, the arrogance and all that goes with it. I dont see why I should start liking him just because he pulled on a white shirt, those who slag him off when he plays for Man U but kiss his arse when he plays for england are hypocrites.
I watched the Scotland game yesterday, and cheered them and Dougie on and also cheered on Morrison for Ireland. In fact my celebration of Dougie's goal was far bigger than either of the england goals, and I cheered on Scotland more than I did England.

By the way, I fail to see how a dislike of David Beckahm can be attributed to a desire to sell all our non english players!

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by firesign
to Eagle of the East...

give it a rest PLEASE!!!!

Give what a rest?

This is a thread about David Beckham isnt it???

Leave the grown ups to talk and go and play in the road, theres a good boy

forsells no1 fan
07-10-2001, 08:57 PM
i for one would just like to congratulate david beckham for his performance yesterday.he was the only player who was giving 100% and never gave up.i wonder if the so called beckham haters who boo him when he plays for england cheered that last minute free kick.
people who slate the guy need to grow up - maybe their just insacure d**k heads with small di*ks trying to take out their frustrations on someone else.

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 08:58 PM
I dont like Beckham, but I never said I hated him. To me he eptomises everything that is wrong with the english game right now, I'm talking about the hype, the 50 grand a week wages, the arrogance and all that goes with it.
To me he symbolises a lot of the best aspects of the game. He is inspirational as a player, and as good a role model as we can hope for. He lives for his football and is a loving husband and father (his choice of wife can be debated, but it's clear he adores her, fair enough). I don't see him as arrogant, I see him as a very skilful and committed athlete who is down to earth and honest. He brings Moan Utd huge revenue and deserves reward for that (I still dislike Moan Utd though).

firesign
07-10-2001, 08:58 PM
As I obviously have to spell it out for you. Give your childish attacks on David Beckham a rest.

Please.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by forsells no1 fan
i for one would just like to congratulate david beckham for his performance yesterday.he was the only player who was giving 100% and never gave up.i wonder if the so called beckham haters who boo him when he plays for england cheered that last minute free kick.
people who slate the guy need to grow up - maybe their just insacure d**k heads with small di*ks trying to take out their frustrations on someone else.

Why have you got such a problem about it? I bet there are players you dont like.
And that last sentence really highlights your immaturity.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:07 PM
As I obviously have to spell it out for you. Give your childish attacks on David Beckham a rest.

Please.

Dont try and patronise me.

You seem to stick up for Beckham more than you would even a Palace player!
I dont recall childishly attacking beckham in any way, maybe you could enlighten me, oh wise one, or am I not entitled to an opinio if it doesnt match yours?

Besides, making fun of the Beckhams is a national pasttime, I can only assume that you refuse to watch "they think its all over" when its shown, or do Rory Mcgraths Beckham jokes drive you to tears?

As nookie bear pointed out, we all have players we dont like, I am sure there are a few you dont like, so cut the holier than thou crap.

forsells no1 fan
07-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Why have you got such a problem about it? I bet there are players you dont like.
And that last sentence really highlights your immaturity

i may have players i dislike but not for the fact they play for a certain club(ie beckham because he plays for man u).this certainly makes me maturer than the d**k heads who slate the guy just cos hes succsesfull.

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 09:10 PM
By the way, I fail to see how a dislike of David Beckahm can be attributed to a desire to sell all our non english players!

Just based it on your comments about Beckham being weak and playing for Man Utd and not a London Team. Maybe I should have said your childish comments, as well as being a very sick turnip:p

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by forsells no1 fan

i may have players i dislike but not for the fact they play for a certain club(ie beckham because he plays for man u).this certainly makes me maturer than the d**k heads who slate the guy just cos hes succsesfull.

Dont you read the posts?
I dont dislike Beckham because of who he plays for OR because he is successful.So tell me, who dont you like??

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama

Just based it on your comments about Beckham being weak and playing for Man Utd and not a London Team. [/QUOTE

I do wish people would read the posts. I was referring to his SUPPORT for Man U as a boy, not becuase he played for them! You go where your work takes you, I work here in Ipswich, miles away from Palace for instance. According to your logic I would have to hate myself!

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:14 PM
PFIA, Do you take your comments back now that you know I support Wales?

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
[B]According to your logic I would have to hate myself!

Maybe you do:p

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 09:16 PM
Not sure, but I think his dad took him there loads when he was a kid. Thankfully my dad wasn't quite so keen on travelling to football, otherwise I might have grown up supporting Stoke City :eek:

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
Not sure, but I think his dad took him there loads when he was a kid.

Then his dad was a w**ker too:o

firesign
07-10-2001, 09:25 PM

[B]Dont try and patronise me, it wont work for someone like you.

From someone like me? What on Earth does that mean? Do you know me?

Because as you said earlier, this thread is about Beckham. And there weren't any Palace players playing for England yesterday, although of course it was great to see Nigel Martyn put it in a good performance.

I dont recall childishly attacking beckham in any way, maybe you could enlighten me, oh wise one, or am I not entitled to an opinio if it doesnt match yours?

You dislike for supporting, and then playing for Man Utd, when he is a Londoner, seems to me rather childish, as are your subsequent attempts to justify your view. However, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, as we all are.

Besides, making fun of the Beckhams is a national pasttime, I can only assume that you refuse to watch "they think its all over" when its shown, or do Rory Mcgraths Beckham jokes drive you to tears?

There is a time and place for everything and in my view it's time to go a bit easier on the Beckhams. And I do watch 'They think it's all over' and it is usually quite funny.

As nookie bear pointed out, we all have players we dont like, I am sure there are a few you dont like, so cut the holier than thou crap, child.

Yes there are a few players I dont like such as Kevin Miller, but I think my dislike of him is fairly rational considering I'm a Palace fan and the way in which he treated the club.

And why do you call me a child?

forsells no1 fan
07-10-2001, 09:30 PM
Dont you read the posts?
I dont dislike Beckham because of who he plays for OR because he is successful.So tell me, who dont you like??

no actually i didnt read ALL the posts because i got sick of reading the same old crap and another thing i didnt say YOU disliked beckham because he plays for man united but the majoraty of them do.
and who do i dislike...........im begining to dislike YOU.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:34 PM

From someone like me? What on Earth does that mean? Do you know me?

Its called being defensive, when someone attacks you for no apparent reason. The "please give it a rest" comment is very patronising as well as the "Dickhead" comments from another. I edited these comments shortly afterwards when I cooled down.

"You dislike for supporting, and then playing for Man Utd, when he is a Londoner, seems to me rather childish, as are your subsequent attempts to justify your view."

Its a shame you dont understand my view...how many times do I have to say it - I have no problem that he PLAYS for Man u. Many great Welsh Players played for Man U.

The Palace Starlett
07-10-2001, 09:35 PM
I think yesterday was the first time football had brought a tear to my eye! Sad isn't it! I never thought football could make me so happy!

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 09:36 PM
They are going to have to build a new stand at Old Trafford just to accomodate his vastly swollen ego now though

To be fair I think Beckham is hated by many fans around the country. I dont think its too strong a word.

How has he proved that??
Did he have family from manchester? No.

Admit it - You're just another Surrey Red

si121 - Do you read Hello and OK Magazine by any chance?

Why dont we all just go and support Man U? After all they're the best team in the country and we can watch our hero every week

Beckham was a Man U fan from an early age, regardless of who came in for him and who didnt, and long before he was offered any deal.

No one begurdges Beckham wanting to play for Man U as a youngster, but why did he support them long before that instead of a London side?

You reckon he'd still be there now!!?

Give what a rest?

This is a thread about David Beckham isnt it???

Leave the grown ups to talk and go and play in the road, theres a good boy

And that last sentence really highlights your immaturity.

Dont try and patronise me.

As nookie bear pointed out, we all have players we dont like, I am sure there are a few you dont like, so cut the holier than thou crap.

Dont you read the posts?

I do wish people would read the posts. I was referring to his SUPPORT for Man U as a boy, not becuase he played for them! You go where your work takes you, I work here in Ipswich, miles away from Palace for instance. According to your logic I would have to hate myself!

PFIA, Do you take your comments back now that you know I support Wales? "This has nothing to do with who supports who.
It is just your childish comments, which just in case you have forgotten, I have listed the above"?

You last post tells it all:eek: "Then his dad was a w**ker too"

nookiebear
07-10-2001, 09:39 PM
Firesign, I started this thread by saying how I no longer would boo beckham if he plays against Palace. I'd never boo him in an England shirt, though, and never have, but like a lot of people was angry at him after the Argentina game. Simeone reacted, the ref was an idiot but Beckham still shouldn't have done it. We would have won the game if he was on the pich because he had been doing well until then. We wouldn't have needed the failure of penalties again.

On TV yesterday, though, they were talking about even Liverpool fans at Old Trafford yesterday cheering him. The reason I never liked him was I was also partly not convinced at his commitment to England, but the last year has proved me very wrong, and I applaud him for it, mohicans, wives who can't sing and specially arranged visits to ther zoo, aside.

Kevin Miller - why still boo him? Yes he stiched us up, he's an arse and a fat fool.

But every time we booed him he'd play a blinder. Also, we've moved on and have a better keeper, and a better side now. MIller's not even in the Barnsley team, yet you still boo him and obviously dislike him.

For how many years did Wrighty still get booed? It was a disgrace the first time it happened and even more so every time after that.

Dare I say it, there must be some real D*ckheads out there to boo a player like that.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:39 PM
Firesign/Forsells no.1 fan,
We're all Palace, lets not allow Beckham to come between us.
You have your opinion, I have mine, I am sure when we next play Man U you might be talking a little differently, but until then, by all means continue to hero worship him.

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:41 PM
PFIA, I think you have got a screw loose mate.

"Then his dad was a w**ker too:o"

Cant you see a joke when its written?! conivenient how you left out the :o sign that I put in when you quoted me!

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 09:45 PM

You reckon he'd still be there now!!?:o

Oh yeah!!! Of course, who wouldn't want to play for Spurs??! But then again, if he had been there performing well Spurs may well have become a better side.

Sunny Fan
07-10-2001, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah!!! Of course, who wouldn't want to play for Spurs??! But then again, if he had been there performing well Spurs may well have become a better side.
Would that mean you'd still have Christian Gross as manager as well?:eek:

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:48 PM
PFIA, You are sick son of a bitch. I'm sure I could pin all your grotesque comments on several thread together to un- nerve you if I was that sort of person.
WHAT EXACTLY HAVE YOU PROVED BY DOING SO?

That you are sad old git with too much time on your hands?

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 09:49 PM
PFIA, I think you have got a screw loose mate.

"Then his dad was a w**ker too:o"

Cant you see a joke when its written?! conivenient how you left out the :o sign that I put in when you quoted me!

I copied all of your posts into Word, I am so very sorry that you one attempt at humour was missed.

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 09:49 PM

Would that mean you'd still have Christian Gross as manager as well?:eek:

Erm... i will pass on that!!!

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 09:51 PM

I copied all of your posts into Word, I am so very sorry that you one attempt at humour was missed.

The whole thing is "attempted" humour isnt it?

Or did you really think that I believed that a new stand was being built at Old Trafford to accomadate Beckham's ego?

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 09:51 PM
Anyway....... now England have qualified, all we have to worry about is being able to see the games!!

From what i heard on the news Kirsch (sp?) Media have the contract sewn up and are charging £125m (i think) to the BBC and ITV for the rights. The TV channels have offered around £65m - £80m for it, which is 12 times what they paid for France 98!!!!

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 09:52 PM

Or did you really think that I believed that a new stand was being built at Old Trafford to accomadate Beckham's ego?

Are they????? wow, now thats ambition for ya!... or is that just to make sure Dwight Yorke's teeth don't hit something as he leaves the club.

firesign
07-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Nookie Bear I take your point and understand why you started this thread. The vilification of Beckham after the Argentina game was in part understandable. But his behaviour on and off the pitch in the time since then, culminating in his performance yesterday, must surely have to put an end to it all

Also, I can honestly say that I've never booed Miller, and I was at the home game last year when he saved a penalty (but we still won 1-0). I should perhaps say that I dislike the way in which he left the club, rather than the man himself.

As for Eagle of the East, I'm glad we are both Palace supporters, the more the merrier I say.

Gooders
07-10-2001, 09:56 PM
He can be as big-headed as he likes - he's got every reason to be!

I've never hated him. I've pointed out that he's a bit of a nob on occasions because of some of the stuff he gets up to off the pitch.

However, he is far and away the best player in this country and since he has been made England captain, he has been magnificent.

He represents a genuine chance for England to make an impact on the world stage provided that we can surround him with talented, intelligent players (i.e. not Heskey).

Top man.

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 09:57 PM
PFIA, You are sick son of a bitch. I'm sure I could pin all your grotesque comments on several thread together to un- nerve you if I was that sort of person.
WHAT EXACTLY HAVE YOU PROVED BY DOING SO?

That you are sad old git with too much time on your hands?

"I'm sure I could pin all your grotesque comments on several thread together to un- nerve you", well at least you admit that your comments were 'grotesque'.

"You are sick son of a bitch."
"WHAT EXACTLY HAVE YOU PROVED BY DOING SO?"
"That you are sad old git with too much time on your hands? "

I think your comments above, prove more than anything I could say about your posts on this thread.
As for time on my hands, that is a real gem from someone who made so many posts on this thread:eek:

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 10:05 PM

"I'm sure I could pin all your grotesque comments on several thread together to un- nerve you", well at least you admit that your comments were 'grotesque'.

"You are sick son of a bitch."
"WHAT EXACTLY HAVE YOU PROVED BY DOING SO?"
"That you are sad old git with too much time on your hands? "

I think your comments above, prove more than anything I could say about your posts on this thread.
As for time on my hands, that is a real gem from someone who made so many posts on this thread:eek:

It proves nothing other than you are a manipulative bitter twisted old man who revels in winding people up and refuses to make peace. I never intended to make so many posts on this thread PFIA, but you have riled me, annoyed me into doing so. Your goal is accomplished, your work is done, time for you to try and make someone else miserable now.

Daniel_Nash
07-10-2001, 10:14 PM

It proves nothing other than you are a manipulative bitter twisted old man who revels in winding people up

He's got ya there :)

Eagle of the East
07-10-2001, 10:17 PM

He's got ya there :)

He certainly has - I cant believe I fell for it. Over David Beckahm of all things :rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
07-10-2001, 10:37 PM
And it's good night from me:D

EE, take it easy, you were asking for it. It needed only one post to give your opinion, but you took on everybody and then the name calling:p

Brett
08-10-2001, 01:07 AM
From what i heard on the news Kirsch (sp?) Media have the contract sewn up and are charging £125m (i think) to the BBC and ITV for the rights. The TV channels have offered around £65m - £80m for it, which is 12 times what they paid for France 98!!!!

Not trying to steal your thunder Dan, just adding to it...

Kirsch is the German Rupert Murdoch. He has set up a new company after buying the rights for the 2002/2006 World Cups. These were bought at horrendously overpriced sums, over £2billion. I believe the 1994 rights were sold in total for just over £100million so it just goes to show... :rolleyes:

As such, the new group Kirsch set up to deal with selling on these rights (and trying to make an impossible profit) is called Prisma. Prisma has already sold the rights jointly to the German market (ZDF), while it is holding out for £171million from the British broadcasters.

As far as I am aware, the BBC and ITV have only offered around £70million. An EC backed mandate stipulates that terrestrial TV has sole rights over live coverage of this 'marquee' event. So Sky or the digital cable platforms will only be able to show delayed matches, and they are after a stipulated break after the final whistle.

So far Prisma has rjected the £70million offer and is refusing to talk to the EBU (European Broadcasting Union which acts on behalf of European terrestrial and state broadcasters) until such time as the BBC/ITV meet the asking price.

Also note that the rights are still unsold in France, Italy and Spain - who along with Germany and the UK make up almost 75% of the TV audience for WC finals matches...

Daniel_Nash
08-10-2001, 01:12 AM
So, it could end up that no one buys the rights and Kirsch have to rethink things a bit?

Steve in Phoenix
08-10-2001, 01:15 AM
Prisma has already sold the rights jointly to the German market (ZDF), while it is holding out for £171million from the British broadcasters.

Any information on how much the German market paid for the rights?

Brett
08-10-2001, 01:19 AM
So, it could end up that no one buys the rights and Kirsch have to rethink things a bit?

Prisma is hoping that the BBC/ITV will cave in (pray they dont), or that Sky/digital cable will pay upwards of £100 million for delayed transmission rights.

Also, Kirsch believes that soccer will become even bigger by the time the 2006 WC comes around so any losses he incurs here will be made up then.

I wouldnt bank on it Leo - Mr Blatter has stitched you up big stylie (as well as the grass roots fan - quel surprise Swiss w@nker).

Italy are being asked to pay more than £200million for TV rights.

Another small point is that FIFA retain veto on all TV deals...

Daniel_Nash
08-10-2001, 01:23 AM

Another small point is that FIFA retain veto on all TV deals...

Ah hahahahaha. So Kirsch could find themselves all dressed up with nowhere to go for a few years.

Brett
08-10-2001, 01:26 AM

Ah hahahahaha. So Kirsch could find themselves all dressed up with nowhere to go for a few years.

Not quite. Money talks, and FIFA are in sh!t street with their finances...

Steve - I'm just locating the figures now...

Brett
08-10-2001, 01:50 AM
Right.

Kirsch/Prisma paid £1.46billion for the right to sell TV rights for the World Cup finals of 2002/2006.

So far ARD/ZDF in Germany have agreed in principal to pay over £220million for rights to WC 2002 - although this is not watertight and is pending on negotiations for WC 2006 rights...

The UK are being asked for £171million.

Italy are being asked for £130million.

PalaceFan in Alabama
08-10-2001, 01:54 AM
Is this just for European rights, as the US just made it to 2002, I would hate to think it would blacked out over here. Can't see any network paying silly money for what they call a second rate sport:grrr:

Brett
08-10-2001, 01:58 AM
Is this just for European rights, as the US just made it to 2002, I would hate to think it would blacked out over here. Can't see any network paying silly money for what they call a second rate sport:grrr:

As far as I'm aware the US are not covered by any of these deals (ie EBU/terrestrial first pick). So I'd imagine Prisma holding the US networks to ransom for rights to US matches.

Prisma tried selling ZDF an exclusive 25 match deal for 2002 including Germanys matches, the opener, semi's and final. So in theory, they may attempt to do the same for the US market.

Otherwise you could be looking at per-game deals on platforms like HBO.

Brett
08-10-2001, 02:17 AM
Good news for our members in the USA.

Kirsch/Prisma do NOT hold rights to sell TV rights to the US market. In the words of FIFA, "these will be commercialised seperately".

The total TV rights for WC 1990/1994/1998 was just under £160million! However, this was increased to £100million for the 1998 WC after ABC bought the rights for US coverage.

Bad news for our members in the USA, is this statement from FIFA in May 2001...

FIFA and KirchMedia WM AG, a subsidiary of KirchMedia GmbH & Co KG, signed an agreement on 2 May in Zurich on marketing the US television and radio rights to the final competitions of the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups™.

The broadcasting rights for the USA have traditionally been marketed separately in order to take into account the specific circumstances on the US market.

The Kirch Group has already started negotiations with US broadcasters on marketing the rights and is expecting to conclude an agreement by the beginning of June.

Read into that what you will. As yet, no deals have been concluded with US broadcasters...

SE20
08-10-2001, 04:21 AM
Beckham is far and away the best footballer England has. So he's a bit thick, so what? He's a model professional on and off the pitch.

And Man U are the most successful English team of the last decade. Who cares? It's not like we're competing with them. Good luck to them I say.

Si121
08-10-2001, 05:25 AM
I'll love it if Germany don't even make it into the world cup now. I hope we don't pay the money cos he's gonna have to reduce the costs a little (A LOT) if nobody does.

Si121
08-10-2001, 05:28 AM
Also, Eagle of the East. Just to sum it up a little. There's a lot of hated people in football and Beckham has been one of them. By the sounds of it you still do hate him but it doesn't matter cos I think about 99% of people in the country don't now. So it doesn't really matter what you think anyway. We're all entitled to our own epionion. Right or WRONG.

Glaws Eagle
08-10-2001, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one who still thinks Beckham is overrated?

Sure, he has a good right foot. But if any of us spent 6 hours a day practising then we'd also be pretty good.

Having said that, he did have 8 attempts from free-kicks and only got one on target all game.

As for his "work rate"! Anybody can run around for 90 minutes if you are fit.

He cant beat people with skill, he cant head, use his left foot or tackle!

I think the media need a "hero" to praise and, after the demise of Gascoigne, and they have turned Beckham into that "hero" after his sending off against Argentina.

To me, it's very much a case of the "Kings clothes" syndrome!

Gooders
08-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Glaws Eagle

Not quite...but nearly.

Sure, he has a good right foot. But if any of us spent 6 hours a day practising then we'd also be pretty good.

Go on then...you could earn 100,000 per week!

Having said that, he did have 8 attempts from free-kicks and only got one on target all game.

I seem to remember the Greek keeper saving one low down in the first half - so that's two.

Go on then...you could earn 100,000 per week!

I saw him make one of his best crosses with his left foot late on; I saw him tackle loads of times; true about the heading ability but he hardly needs it where he plays and the way he plays (unless you expect him to also be on the end of all of his own crosses?); no skill?!!! :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be on the BBS defending Beckham - you just never know, do you?
:)

Smurph
08-10-2001, 01:05 PM
Not having been on the BBS over the weekend I was interested to see whether there would be a thread about Beckham.

I have always liked him, as well as respecting and admiring his footballing ability. His treatment after the Argentina game in 98 was unwarranted and despicable. (Phil Neville deserved worse). He may not be the brightest of individuals but he has never made any claims overwise, and is a decent, likeable man. Most impressively he has matured incredibly over the last couple of years and demonstrated the ability to learn from his mistakes, a quality that not many can boast.

In the last few games he has played for England he has moved on to another level. I believe that he is currently the best footballer in the world. I can't remember seeing an individual player change the course of a international game just by his outstanding effort and will. Players such as Zidane and Figo will occassionally change a game with moments of skill, but never do they dominate so totally a game.

Some people have criticised him for being too quiet as a Captain, but anyone who can set the example he does does not need to shout, he inspires by his actions. The only thing that worries me is that it would seem impossible to maintain this level of performance over an extended period of time, especially if he tries to reproduce this for Man U each week.

I hope he gets the respect he deserves from all quarters.:love:

Eagle of the East
08-10-2001, 01:38 PM
. By the sounds of it you still do hate him but it doesn't matter

I have already said I dont hate Beckham (I would not waste my energy on him), although I dont like him, lets just leave it at that.

brighton_eagle
08-10-2001, 01:58 PM
It's amazing really. You couldn't write his 'international' career better so far. The sending off against Argentina was either going to make him or break him, and luckily for England it appears to have been the former!!

I was pleased at the time with how he reacted to that incident. He has grown in stature since becoming England captain too, and leads by example. Saturday was not the first time I remember seeing him appear all over the pitch, but on Saturday he came of age in another way. I think he pretty much single handedly got us through. He covered every blade of grass.

And the dramatic effect of leaving it till the last minute to score one of his free kicks. He had, what, 6 or 7 in the game, and you would put money on him scoring at least one out of 7, but the last one?? How much less impact would that have had had it been the first??

I like him, and I'm pleased we are going to the World Cup finals, because it means he has the chance to show that he is a 'great' player and not just a 'good' one.

DE - Glad All Over
08-10-2001, 02:12 PM

I hate to say it but I think he's absolute class and is already becoming one of the England's greatest players ever

Agreed nuf said.

Benzhiyi
08-10-2001, 02:36 PM
My opinion of Beckham changed last year. Here's why.

My dad is a plumber (s****** s******) and just by chance last summer took a job on a house in North London. Nothing strange about that, apart from the fact that it was the house belonging to David Beckham's father. Anyway, he went to do a quote and was telling them that his son (ie me) played football and was a Spurs fan, which was of great interest to him because he too is a Spurs fan (hence Beckham always enjoys beating Spurs as they are his dad's team).

Anyway, when my dad turned up the next Monday to start work, Becks dad got a bag out and said to him "David brought these down at the weekend for your son". The contents of the bag was one of David's Adidas training tops and two autographed photos. Now I know that Beckham probably has a million training tops but to simply give one to me for being a football fan - and not even of his team - was something of a touching gesture, and made me realise that even if the guy does have an ego bigger than Saturn, maybe he is actually a nice guy.

And yes, his performances in an Englan shirt recently have been exemplory. No question.

SKATE
08-10-2001, 02:53 PM
Beckham was about he only England player on Saturday who looked like he deserved to be on the pitch. The rest were a disgrace. Beckham shone for England because he was surrounded by half hearted mediocrity. Quite honestly some of the best players on the pitch were Greek. I dont think Beckham is a particularly brilliant player - he has a mean free kick and can occasional pass the ball around - but what he has had recently is a real desire to run his heart out for England. We will never win any trophies unless the rest of the squad adopt the same attitude.

brighton_eagle
08-10-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
he has a mean free kick and can occasional pass the ball around

Are you serious? Occassionally?? How about pretty much every time? What exactly is it that you want from a player?

AddiscombeEagle
08-10-2001, 03:12 PM
No ifs No Buts Beckham is now the man, not overated, he is in a different league to every English Footballer probably since Gascoigne in 90 and then you could argue better than that.

CM_Addicted
08-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Glaws Eagle

I think the media need a "hero" to praise and, after the demise of Gascoigne, and they have turned Beckham into that "hero" after his sending off against Argentina.

To me, it's very much a case of the "Kings clothes" syndrome!

Did you watch the game or do you not understand football?

Maybe it didn't come across as well on tv, but I can promise you that I've never seen a player work as hard as he did in my entire life.

If anyone can do what Beckham does then why didn't they? Players who you probably rate, like Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Scholes - they were awful, Scholes spent the last five minutes of the game looking at the ground with his hand of his hip.

Beckham was amazing and was a joy to watch - on Saturday he put himself up there with the best. Rivaldo, Figo, Zindane - even they don't perform as consistently as Beckham.

IMHO - he is the best player in the world at the moment - and he is dignified about it too.

Pistike
08-10-2001, 05:50 PM
I always thought he was extremely thick after watching an interview with him a couple of years ago when he said "you know" about 15 times in the space of about a 90 seconds - seriously no exageration.

Having seen him interviewed after the match on Saturday and then watching the tribute program that the beeb put out after MOTD, I'm prepared to admit I was wrong.

OK so he's gonna struggle to get a job in television or get a degree but he isn't nearly as stoopid as I first thought.

As far as his talent is concerned, anyone who can criticise Saturdays performance has a screw loose - he was simply fantastic.

E_girl
08-10-2001, 06:03 PM
David Beckham: talks like a prick, but very sexy! ;)

(... would just have to gag him in bed! :D )

CM_Addicted
08-10-2001, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Pistike
I always thought he was extremely thick after watching an interview with him a couple of years ago when he said "you know" about 15 times in the space of about a 90 seconds - seriously no exageration.

Having seen him interviewed after the match on Saturday and then watching the tribute program that the beeb put out after MOTD, I'm prepared to admit I was wrong.

OK so he's gonna struggle to get a job in television or get a degree but he isn't nearly as stoopid as I first thought.

As far as his talent is concerned, anyone who can criticise Saturdays performance has a screw loose - he was simply fantastic.

Agreed. The way he conducts himself as captain should be praised. He is a great leader and shows people like Gerrard that he still has a long way to go if he wants to be a world class player.

I was one of the people who slated him after the Argentina game. I'm prepared to swallow my pride and say I was very wrong!

Si121
08-10-2001, 06:52 PM
I rate Beckham as one of the greatest of all time. Not just today. ok, there's been a few better like Platini, Maradona, Pele. The're just exceptions, but I would have to rate him as the best midfielder of all time. Today, there is the likes of Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo, all great players. Just not as good as Beckham. As mentioned already, he works so hard, 92nd minute, basically lost and Beckham sprinted back to get the ball. And I mean sprinted. Don't know how anyone can say he has no skill. He's a very skillful player but just doesn't use it. Who needs to when you're the best passer ever in the game of football. How did he get that free kick which everyone thought was in. With skill. Pretty nice skill too. I could go on and on about how talented he is. Just to conclude. Without Beckham. I don't think we would have been where we are today.

Sunny Fan
08-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Bit premature for that, Si121, I don't want to take much away from him after a great performance on Saturday, but we need to see him perform against top-class opposition consistently, at major championships, before we can rank him with truly 'great' players. He's not yet close to Pele, Maradona, Platini, Cruyff, Puskas, Best, etc etc

brighton_eagle
08-10-2001, 07:07 PM
Correct. But what he DID do on saturday was give himself the opportunity to prove himself on the big stage. Another step along the path to greatness.

Si121
08-10-2001, 07:07 PM
I know he's not yet. But I think he could be. Still rate him as the best passer of all time for sure.

Pistike
08-10-2001, 07:09 PM
He's not yet close to Pele, Maradona, Platini, Cruyff, Puskas, Best, etc etc

Interesting choice of greats Martin.

Happy to see Ferenc on the list but Best? He never played against the best in the world.

CM_Addicted
08-10-2001, 07:10 PM
Bit premature for that, Si121, I don't want to take much away from him after a great performance on Saturday, but we need to see him perform against top-class opposition consistently, at major championships, before we can rank him with truly 'great' players. He's not yet close to Pele, Maradona, Platini, Cruyff, Puskas, Best, etc etc

If thats the case then you can't include Best on that list. He never performed at any major championships.....

Where Rivaldo, Raul etc perform one moment of sheer brilliance - Beckham also does that now and again but also works his socks off for 90 mins, unlike some other so called 'world class' players.

I don't think he can be ranked with Pele, Maradona and co yet either though. He needs a whole career of success before he can reach that list - it is possible though. I think he needs to move abroad in the next few years - a taste of foreign football can only better his game.

World Player of the Year this year? Should be, but Premiership players don't normally stand a chance at them awards. :(

brighton_eagle
08-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Pistike

Interesting choice of greats Martin.

Happy to see Ferenc on the list but Best? He never played against the best in the world.

Agreed on Best but I don't think you could argue about the others.

Pistike
Also I always include Charlton and Beckenbauer on my list but what about an Italian?

Who was the greatest Italian footballer of all time?

Sunny Fan
Points taken, he can be great, is the best realistic (ie discounting the self-imploding Gascoigne) prospect for years, no question, and is playing as well as anyone in the world at the moment. I just get worried about over-expectations. Not sure about best passer ever, I'd say there's a lot of competition there. He can certainly hit a ball though:D

Sunny Fan
08-10-2001, 08:40 PM
Didn't see the replies above when I responded last time, OK, point taken over Best, and Beckenbauer should certainly make a list.
CM_A: Can't argue with that.
Pistike: Greatest Italian? Very tricky to pick the one individual 'great'; Italian success, at least in my time, has often come through team ethic (and somethimes savage defenders) more than the individual flair which elevates a Cruyff or a Maradona. Think I'll dodge that one for now

James Melody
09-10-2001, 08:02 AM
Greatest Italian ever - Michele Padavano !!!! Oh whoops............
:o :o :o

tauranga rob
09-10-2001, 10:24 AM
I can understand why some people (especially Palace fans) developed a dislike of Beckham. The fact he plays for Man U is probably reason enough! I too thought he was a bit of a tosser, with his gauche taste in wedding style, wearing "Brooklyn" on his gear, the sarong thing et al. However, I suppose he's entitled to spend his money how he chooses (it's just that some of his choices do seem to be a little over the top).

Perhaps, now that he's 26, he's grown up a bit, and has learnt a few lessons. I'm sure we've all made mistakes - the issue is whether we choose to learn from them. I still don't like Man Utd, but I've gained some respect for Beckham. Let's hope he leads England to a great World Cup.
BTW - I thought Nige & Rio Ferdinand (& one touch from Sheringham)were the only other players of note.

As for the by-play about Fatso Miller earlier in the thread - why shouldn't he still get booed, after what he did to us against QPR?

Si121
09-10-2001, 08:11 PM
I think Best could go down as one of the best in the world as well. Why is it that British players never go down as all time greats? He was amazing in his prime.