PDA

View Full Version : patrick berger

wowie
23-11-2006, 07:31 PM
stoke have signed patrick berger on loan.they have got in some good loanees in. why dont we go for players loke this ever.he surely will be abig player in this league

BW_Palace
23-11-2006, 07:52 PM
They now have 6 loan players! Madness.

Jay_Palace
23-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm certainly not adverse to bringing in a couple of loanees to steady the ship, but Stoke will regret this in the long term.

They haven't got a hope of signing this calibre of player on a permanent deal.

Little Matt
23-11-2006, 08:17 PM
When the chips are down, you've got to go for someone like Berger.

GreatGonzo
23-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
I'm certainly not adverse to bringing in a couple of loanees to steady the ship, but Stoke will regret this in the long term.

They haven't got a hope of signing this calibre of player on a permanent deal.

Yeah the possibility of maybe signing them at the end of the season or january plus the extra revenue from having bigger crowds and possibly making the play-offs - how are they going to regret it?

They are not known for a strong youth set-up (one reason we should ease through FA Youth Cup 3rd round) and therefore in the absence of buying these players which they might not be able to afford or at least get to trial first seems quite sensible.

dougie_for_pm
23-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace

I agree absolute madness - This is why they are struggling in 7th place and a huge 2 points outside the play-offs, while we can can relax as we are soaring away in 20th.

Kirby
23-11-2006, 08:53 PM
It's depressing seeing players the quality of Hendrie, Diao and Berger at Stoke rather than us.

Jay_Palace
23-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Yeah the possibility of maybe signing them at the end of the season or january plus the extra revenue from having bigger crowds and possibly making the play-offs - how are they going to regret it?

They are not known for a strong youth set-up (one reason we should ease through FA Youth Cup 3rd round) and therefore in the absence of buying these players which they might not be able to afford or at least get to trial first seems quite sensible.

Those players would only consider going there permanently if they go up, which they won't.

It's bad because it will cause inflated expectation from their fans and very shortly they are going to have to field a completely different side when these players return to their parent clubs. Hendrie is going back to Villa any day now, and he has been almost single handedly responsible for their recent upturn in form.

Hardly good for continuity, is it?

Would like to see us bring in a couple of short term loans but signing a whole team of loanees, as Stoke have done is most definitely not the answer.

Jay_Palace
23-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by dougie_for_pm
I agree absolute madness - This is why they are struggling in 7th place and a huge 2 points outside the play-offs, while we can can relax as we are soaring away in 20th.

Without wishing to cover up our frankly abysmal start to this season, even with all these loanees Stoke are only six points clear of us, having only won one more match than us.

It's not going to get too much better for them and likewise, I believe that it isn't possible for us to continue to play so badly.

Their "success" is entirely built on sand.

rbarmy
23-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Hard one to call really - the extra points are surely useful, but we are probably better off building for the longer term. All the same would be great to see a player like Hendrie at Selhurst, and the team can only learn from playing with more classy players

GreatGonzo
23-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Hendrie is going back to Villa any day now, and he has been almost single handedly responsible for their recent upturn in form.

If he is going back it is not surprising they have signed another good attacking central midfielder.

CreweEagle v.3
23-11-2006, 10:07 PM

I think it may actually be 7

Jay_Palace
23-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
If he is going back it is not surprising they have signed another good attacking central midfielder.

Nowhere near close to Hendrie in terms of quality, IMHO, especially not when you consider Berger's age and recent injury record.

He may find the physical nature of the CCC a step too far.

On a side note, they must be expending a hell of a lot on wages for all these players. I doubt all of them are coming 100% wage free from the parent clubs. A very risky strategy.

Nelson Muntz
23-11-2006, 10:28 PM
me. For the first time in my life I'm jealous of Stoke City.
Why can't we get the likes of Berger on loan? Our team is crying out for a player like him.

maestro
23-11-2006, 10:34 PM
He is exactly what we need, well played stoke

m355y
23-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I dunno how they've done it, but you've gotta hold your hands up and say well done, however grudgingly. Gotta say though, with Griffin, Diao, Hendrie, Lawrence and now Berger, their wage bill if they were all permanent must surely be way out of the reach of most if not all CCC clubs. I imagine it's only a short term thing mostly. But still.....

Panther
24-11-2006, 09:35 AM

I'm glad someone counted them. Surely there's a limit on how many loan players any one club can have at any time?

GrayP41ace
24-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by m355y
I dunno how they've done it, but you've gotta hold your hands up and say well done, however grudgingly. Gotta say though, with Griffin, Diao, Hendrie, Lawrence and now Berger, their wage bill if they were all permanent must surely be way out of the reach of most if not all CCC clubs. I imagine it's only a short term thing mostly. But still.....

Good point about wages, but without spending a penny on these loan transfers (assumption on my part) surely if it did get them a play off spot then it would be money well spent and alot less than the transfer fees alone had they purchased any of them?

Nigelbrag
24-11-2006, 10:35 AM
How can it be bad business, they have brought in players who do not figure in their clubs long term plans (except Hendrie) so it would be possible to have the loans extended until the end of the season and if that ensures they get into the playoffs that in itself would have made it worthwhile. We only have to look at Birmingham to see the impact the loan signings have had and should they go up which is a strong possibility, then surely it is mission achieved as far as Bruce is concerned. Sadly PT does not see it that way, when a short term fix sometimes is the key. So hence the reason why we are 20th in the table.

Andrews69
24-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Patrick Berger is the one player I have wanted Palace to sign this season, since the beginning I have said that I wanted Berger. Crying out for his talent in the middle of the park, his free kick ability, he was in the Villa reserves, I'm actually pretty distraught that we didn't go for him, I know Stoke is closer and we have a fair few midfielders, but imagine Soares and Berger in the middle? Hard working Soares and the flair of Berger.

Damn, another one slips through.

Chris K
24-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Panther
I'm glad someone counted them. Surely there's a limit on how many loan players any one club can have at any time?

Isn't it a total of 8 in a season and 4 at any one time?

Sir.S.C Remembered
24-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I like Berger but then again is he not just a rich mans Kennedy in terms of not enough pace to be a winger anymore...

mik59
24-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Surely, as with Hendrie, it is safe to assume that Berger was loaned to a club close to his Villa base, so Palace would not have been an option? Diao slightly different although Liverpool lent him to Brum at end of last season so maybe there is a geographical reason.

Cleon
24-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Patrick Berger and Lee Hendrie would both have been excellent loan-signings. Whilst I don't want to turn Palace into a team that relies on loanees, when these sort of players are available it makes you wonder why we appear uninterested or unconvinced.

sydnsteve
24-11-2006, 01:17 PM
To me, it makes a great deal of sense to try a couple of loan players. If it turns out they they make a considerable difference, then you know exactly what sort of player you are looking for in Jan. Unless of course it is yet again the ever reliable Jacques Schitt, in which case god help us.

Kirby
20-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Just seen Oldham Athletic have failed in an attempt to sign Patrick Berger on loan from Aston Villa! What the ?!

FromSelhurst
21-06-2007, 01:28 AM
he looked good for villa at the end of last season.

Kirby
21-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Exactly.

pedro
21-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Thought he just got a new contract. They are hardly likely to offer him one of those and then farm him out at his age, they might as well have just let him leave.

CPFC247
22-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Surely this is the man we need!

He was absolute class for Villa at the end of last season and was also brilliant for Pompey when they were in the Champsionship.

Sign him up!

Shipp Ahoy!
23-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Errr see above ;)

bendyjoe
24-06-2007, 06:38 PM
The thing with loans is that if we get them in the championship and then get promoted, with the loanee playing a starring role, they might just consider staying with us. So we can't afford them now, but they'll come on loan, like it and want to stay. Like Paul Stewart many moons ago. But we didn't sign him. Doh.

dodge_bond
24-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Mark Hudson!

Alex_S
24-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by FromSelhurst
he looked good for villa at the end of last season.

He was excellent for them when he returned from loan and he's Premiership standard - Oldham have no chance with this :D