PDA

View Full Version : What we need is...


stinky
02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
... a younger version of Dougie. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome today with Shefki and I think we may've found a forward pairing at last. But a small, nippy, skillful striker in January has to be high on the list, along with a nippy winger. People have mentioned on other threads that Clinton should be sold in Jan to make way for this kind of striker. Thoughts?

Hedgehog
02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
That would be Eastwood wouldn't it?

joe walker
02-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Was surprised at Dougie's improvement in stamina today, as he normally fizzles out after an hour or so when he starts, however today he was excellent alongside the even better Kuqi

Although I feel somebody with pace should be brought in, if we keep up this form with what we've got, then we may not need another striker come January

Oh south london
02-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by joe walker
Was surprised at Dougie's improvement in stamina today, as he normally fizzles out after an hour or so when he starts, however today he was excellent alongside the even better Kuqi

Although I feel somebody with pace should be brought in, if we keep up this form with what we've got, then we may not need another striker come January

No mate we still do need pace upfrount and someone must be brought in when the Jan window comes around. QPR have the slowest defenders in the leauge so we do need more pace than we already have do not be fooled.

Also i am positive we would have won by more if we had a quickers striker.

Izale Mclode would be perfect i keep on saying it but it is so true

Jason
02-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
No mate we still do need pace upfrount and someone must be brought in when the Jan window comes around. QPR have the slowest defenders in the leauge so we do need more pace than we already have do not be fooled.

Also i am positive we would have won by more if we had a quickers striker.

Izale Mclode would be perfect i keep on saying it but it is so true

And which one of our four existing strikers do you let go to accomodate this ?

SpikeyMatt
02-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I thought Doug faded after about 40 mins and was largely anonymous in the second half, by which time the damage had been done so it didn't matter too much.

Palaceboy222
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't sell Morrison, but I would like to see a fast striker come in. Dougie did well today but that's his first goal when he's started in over a year (Brighton away being the last time) so I still don't think we can expect him to perform from the start on a regular basis. He also badly tired in the second half

There is no way Eastwood will come here, I like what i've seen and heard about the guy at MK Don's but it a huge risk as they supposedly want 1.25M+ for him. People on here who have seen a lot of him don't rate him

ricks-big-honda
02-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Macken ?.

Oh south london
02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Jason
And which one of our four existing strikers do you let go to accomodate this ?


None why do we need to let any more strikers go?

We will sell Maken in January i think 5 strikers are what a championship side should have. Injury can provale and also suspension are boud to happen. If you ask me i would say we are short with only 4 strikers at the club.

Jason
02-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ricks-big-honda
Macken ?.

I'm assuming he wiill go anyway, although I suspect that we will only achieve that by paying off a significant portion of his contract.

Realiitically, if someone new is to come in, one of CLinton, Dougie, Scowcroft or Kuqi has to go. Those who are advocating a new striker, which one of those four needs to go ?

Jason
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
None why do we need to let any more strikers go?

We will sell Maken in January i think 5 strikers are what a championship side should have. Injury can provale and also suspension are boud to happen. If you ask me i would say we are short with only 4 strikers at the club.

There is no way we can carrry five "first team" strikers, financially or in footballing terms. You can see the problems that Taylor is having keeping his existing four happy, there is no way that the balance can be kept with five on the books when only two can start.

Also, while you are (I hope) right that Macken will leave in Jan, we both know that we are unlikely to receive a fee for him. Indeed, the kind of pay off that is likely to be required to remove him from the wage bill (remember this is a player who has NOTHING to contribute at Championship level or above, yet has a contract worth in excess of 1m if the talk on here is to be believed) may mean that in the short term, we are LESS likely to be able to afford a replacement as a result of offloading him.

This of course may make offloading an existing striker more necessary if someone else is to come in, as we will need the income that a fee would bring in.

smileforpalace
02-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Hate to say it but Jake robinson is quick and will probaly want to leave to play for a better club. and befor you all start the "he wont come cos hes from a rival club" shit, matt lawrence used to play for millwall.



Rant over

LeeH
02-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Jason
I'm assuming he wiill go anyway, although I suspect that we will only achieve that by paying off a significant portion of his contract.

I'm sure I read somewhere earlier this week that he was going to ask to be sold to Ipswich or at least to stay there until the end of the season? If he's that desperate, I reckon we'll save a few bob there.

R0BB0
03-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Billy Sharp

deftones_eagle
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Eastwood all the way...please....i've heard from a 'source' that we WILL be putting a bid in for him *cough clints mum....

Trolley
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
'Karl Hawley' of 'Carlisle'

:p

Nelson Muntz
03-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Unrealistically, but in our division.

Earnshaw
Phillips
Eastwood

Jason
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by LeeH
I'm sure I read somewhere earlier this week that he was going to ask to be sold to Ipswich or at least to stay there until the end of the season? If he's that desperate, I reckon we'll save a few bob there.

If Ipswich want him, then that would be a perfect solution. Realistically though, I can't see Ipswich taking him full time even on a free, given his wages and contract. Not without us agreeing a substantial payoff first anyway

TN16_Eagle
03-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by stinky
... a younger version of Dougie.

Impossible in my view as 90% of Dougie's ability is due to his awareness and fantastic reading of a match, very very difficult to find an affordable young player with all of those abilities as I think they have to be learnt.

montstar
03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
my suggestion would be nathan tyson now hes back from injury

unproven at this level but worth a punt imho

Jason
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by montstar
my suggestion would be nathan tyson now hes back from injury

unproven at this level but worth a punt imho

Problem is, why would he come here.

Realistically, it is looking very likely that Forest will go up, while we are unlikely to. Therefore, he will probably be playing Championship football next season with either club.

We also can't compete with Forest in terms of history, stature, stadium, or support. So why would he uproot himself for what is at best a sideways step ?