PDA

View Full Version : will hoskins


lyrical_g
03-12-2006, 11:01 AM
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=432771&CPID=11&clid=72&lid=5&title=Knill+offers+Hoskins+advice

we are one of a few clubs alledgedly keeping tabs on him. out of contract at the end of the season, 13 goals this season, sounds ideal to me

limited_edition
03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Out of contract at the end of the season, eh ? Could be a good bargain in the Jan window.

Trolley
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Whilst of course 'Will Hoskins' is receiving plaudits, one must NOT forget the highly commendable performance of his manager 'Alan Knill' whose record this season at 'Rotherham' thus far is worthy of high praise.

Jolly Well Done.

:p

chav_hater
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Someone watched the Championship this morning eh Trolley?

Trolley
03-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by chav_hater
Someone watched the Championship this morning eh Trolley?

In all honesty NO.

Your question perhaps indicates that my sentiments apropos 'Alan Knill' were echoed on the programme.

chav_hater
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
In all honesty NO.

Your question perhaps indicates that my sentiments apropos 'Alan Knill' were echoed on the programme.

No, rather that their sentiments were echoed on here ;)

Trolley
03-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by chav_hater
No, rather that their sentiments were echoed on here ;)

Clearly 'Great Minds' think alike.

:D :p

CHERRY TREE BRB
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
He's done a fantastic job, they would be 6th this morning without the deuction

kolinkins
03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
Clearly 'Great Minds' think alike.

:D :p

Fools seldom differ

eagle101
03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Watford are going to bid 1million in the Jan window.




















According the the NOTW, who also think Watford are going to sign Collins John or Carlton Cole :eek:

Paulie b
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I would prefer Bob! :D

Jason
12-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Well according to the BBC gossip section today, Celtic and Ipswich are both interested in the "600,000 rated" player. Now of course we'd have little chance of getting him should Celtic follow up their interest, but with them alledgedly targeting Anthony Stokes as well, surely they wont buy both ?.

If Celtic don't get him, surely we would be considered as an attractive a prospect as Ipsiwich (although sadly not siginifcantly more so these days), and would have a good chance of landing him. At that price it would be rude not to surely ?

limited_edition
12-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Ipswich should sign that prolific striker Macken instead of Hoskins. :rolleyes:

600k is a steal.

m355y
12-12-2006, 10:00 PM
People go on about Sharp, Eastwood or Nugent but right now Hoskins is pretty much my ultimate striker signing, the guy looks like he's going to be a superstar. This season seems to have been the first time he's got a proper, extended run in the team and just checked his stats on Soccerbase, his scoring record has been phenominal.

Anyone who can get him for 600k has it made. I'd love to think Dennis Wise was looking at him, but if Celtic are hovering then bottom of the league Championship club is going to look about as appealing as piles.

GreatGonzo
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by m355y
People go on about Sharp, Eastwood or Nugent but right now Hoskins is pretty much my ultimate striker signing, the guy looks like he's going to be a superstar. This season seems to have been the first time he's got a proper, extended run in the team and just checked his stats on Soccerbase, his scoring record has been phenominal.

Anyone who can get him for 600k has it made. I'd love to think Dennis Wise was looking at him, but if Celtic are hovering then bottom of the league Championship club is going to look about as appealing as piles.

Eastwood and Nugent i see why you say what you do but not Sharp, compare the 2 scoring records.

Sharp 72 (+4 as sub) 47 goals
Hoskins 30 (+38 as sub) 20 goals


Both of them could and probably should move to the Championship in January.

The 3rd player i would be looking at is Nicky Maynard, the youngest of the 3 (all born in 86) he was 20 yesterday and his record:

Maynard 14 (+4 as sub) 10 goals

m355y
12-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Hoskins has only seemed to hit the big time this season though, the couple of seasons beforehand he always seemed to be put on as a sub with ten mins left, hence I guess the 38 sub appearances. I'm inclined to disregard them, coming on for the last few mins of a game you don't get much chance to make waves, particularly for such a young guy playing for a struggling team. Rotherham's last couple of seasons have been pretty car crash, it's only this term they've started to look like a decent team again. Ever since he arrived at Schunthorpe, Sharp has seemed to be the absolute star of the team, starting every game up front with Keogh and starting (I think?) in League 2. Hoskins first appearences were in the Championship in that nightmare Sunderland-style relegation season.

Dunno why I'm comparing them so much though, most important thing is they're both excellent players and I think either could cope with the Championship very well. Ditto for Maynard - Varney looks good too at Crewe.

Jay_Palace
12-12-2006, 11:24 PM
He's a very good player for sure, I'd take him over the likes of Sharp.

Celestial Empire
13-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by m355y
People go on about Sharp, Eastwood or Nugent but right now Hoskins is pretty much my ultimate striker signing, the guy looks like he's going to be a superstar. This season seems to have been the first time he's got a proper, extended run in the team and just checked his stats on Soccerbase, his scoring record has been phenominal.

Anyone who can get him for 600k has it made. I'd love to think Dennis Wise was looking at him, but if Celtic are hovering then bottom of the league Championship club is going to look about as appealing as piles.

Steve Bruce seems to think that Tyson is the one (to add to his other dozen strikers), or is he just trying to screw the opposition (Chelsea stylee) ?

GreatGonzo
13-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Steve Bruce seems to think that Tyson is the one (to add to his other dozen strikers), or is he just trying to screw the opposition (Chelsea stylee) ?

4 years older than the others and a similar (probably slightly worse) goalscoring record. Tyson does have a height advantage as he is the only 6 footer of them all.

Jason
13-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
He's a very good player for sure, I'd take him over the likes of Sharp.

Out of interest, why, given Sharp's scoting record (not having a dign personally would take either in a flash)

Jay_Palace
13-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Jason
Out of interest, why, given Sharp's scoting record (not having a dign personally would take either in a flash)

Sharp is successful with Andy Keogh, who's to say how good he will be on his own? Remember Mr striker fetishist Neil Warnock got rid, I wonder why.

Hoskins is doing well in a much poorer team and from what I have seen of him, looks to have a bit more class.

Jason
13-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Sharp is successful with Andy Keogh, who's to say how good he will be on his own? Remember Mr striker fetishist Neil Warnock got rid, I wonder why.

Hoskins is doing well in a much poorer team and from what I have seen of him, looks to have a bit more class.

Interesting points. The only thing I'd say with Sharp is that prior to being paired with Keogh at Scunthorpe he scored something like 8 goals in 15 games at Rushden. This in a struggling side, and in his first taste of senior football (albeit at League two level). We also of course have the "big man foil" for a player like Sharp in Socwcroft.

The other issue is that although Rotherham are in a lowly position in the table, this is largely due to the 10 point "admin" deduction. Without this they'd be sixth to Scunthorpe's second. Not that much in it.

Your point about Warnock getting rid is an interesting one. Either (as you imply) Sharp is not quite as good as he seems, or Warnock ballsed up quite sepctacularly in letting him go. As ever I guess, time will tell.

As for me, if we sign one of Sharp, Hoskins, or Anthony Stokes in Jan, I will be very happy . . . . . .. . . .bet we don't though :sob: :sob:

Jay_Palace
13-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Jason
Interesting points. The only thing I'd say with Sharp is that prior to being paired with Keogh at Scunthorpe he scored something like 8 goals in 15 games at Rushden. This in a struggling side, and in his first taste of senior football (albeit at League two level). We also of course have the "big man foil" for a player like Sharp in Socwcroft.

The other issue is that although Rotherham are in a lowly position in the table, this is largely due to the 10 point "admin" deduction. Without this they'd be sixth to Scunthorpe's second. Not that much in it.

Your point about Warnock getting rid is an interesting one. Either (as you imply) Sharp is not quite as good as he seems, or Warnock ballsed up quite sepctacularly in letting him go. As ever I guess, time will tell.

As for me, if we sign one of Sharp, Hoskins, or Anthony Stokes in Jan, I will be very happy . . . . . .. . . .bet we don't though :sob: :sob:

All very fair points.

Like you, I'd be happy to see any one of those players at Palace.

Jason
14-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Acccording to BBC, Hoskins has turned down a new deal at Rotherham, so looks certain to be leaving in Jan. Given the other clubs likely to be in for him, we probably wont get him, but I'll be SERIOUSLY pissed off if we don't try.

GreatGonzo
14-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Sharp apparently has a drink issue, which may have contributed to Warnock getting rid, what it is like now i have no idea but better a pissed striker scoring goals than a sober one misfiring!

etu
14-12-2006, 08:06 PM
But better both sobriety and goals if we can get them, and there seems to be quite a few floating around.

Justy C
03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Well someone has now bid for him. Taken from todays Independent:

"Alan Knill has admitted the club have turned down an offer for prolific striker Will Hoskins. Hoskins has scored 16 goals so far this campaign. "We have had an offer for Will but it was one the board did not think was the right amount," the manager said.

So they're pushing the price up then.

Anyone know what kind of forward he is? (eg target man or pacey).

littlecsaesar
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Heard a radio interview with Knill before xmas, Hoskins only got his chance because Knill was youth team manager, under the previous manager he was due to be shipped out as he was useless.

This is his first real scoring season, whereas Eastwood, Mcleod and Sharp have been scoring well for the past few seasons.

orp pisshead1
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Ipswich should sign that prolific striker Macken instead of Hoskins. :rolleyes:

600k is a steal.

Why don't we offer ipswich a deal , they let us have hoskins off rotherham and they can have macken for 600

Celestial Empire
03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Anyone know what kind of forward he is? (eg target man or pacey).
5'9'' Tricky, prob. not that pacey - looks vaguely like Freedman.
(although Wiki reckon he has lightning pace, along with every other Superman attribute :rolleyes: ). When I've seen him, he certainly hasn't been an AJ type forward.

GreatGonzo
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
5'9'' Tricky, prob. not that pacey - looks vaguely like Freedman.
(although Wiki reckon he has lightning pace, along with every other Superman attribute :rolleyes: ). When I've seen him, he certainly hasn't been an AJ type forward.

Pace is all relative though isn't it, compared to what we have at the moment the guy is lightning quick! :D

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
... or won't he?

Palaceboy222
03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Steve Bruce seems to think that Tyson is the one (to add to his other dozen strikers), or is he just trying to screw the opposition (Chelsea stylee) ?

My Wycombe mate never rated Tyson as higher than a League 1 player

Both Sharpe (vs. Nottingham F) and Hoskins (vs. Port Vale) have played very well and scored this season when I have seen them play

Two other players who have impressed me on my travels when I have seen them this season are Oldham's pair Chris Taylor (right/left sided winger - aged 21) and Chris Porter (striker, aged 24).

I have contacts with people at Oldham who are reasonably 'in the know' and they believe that the board will seriously consider any reasonable offers. HOWEVER I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THERE IS NO EVEIDENCE TO LINK THEM TO PALACE AND THIS IS ONLY MY DREAM WORLD.

Jason
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
5'9'' Tricky, prob. not that pacey - looks vaguely like Freedman.
(although Wiki reckon he has lightning pace, along with every other Superman attribute :rolleyes: ). When I've seen him, he certainly hasn't been an AJ type forward.

Although if we're looking for someone to partner either Kuqi or Morrison, perhaps a 10 year younger version of Dougie is exactly what we need. Sadly, Dougie is not going to go on forever, and is unlikely to be able to play 90 min every week. Signing a 20 year old player similar in style to the player our two leading scorers seem to play best with surely makes sense ?

Celestial Empire
03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222

Two other players who have impressed me on my travels when I have seen them this season are Oldham's pair Chris Taylor (right/left sided winger - aged 21) and Chris Porter (striker, aged 24).


Good call, worth monitoring.
As is manager John Sheridan, always a clever player, maybe a clever manager.

red&blue_moomin
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
All very fair points.

Like you, I'd be happy to see any one of those players at Palace.

Hmmm having read an interview done by Sharp and Keogh they are very much a double act (in a Wright and Bright kind of way, the back chat seemed similar at least...). Both seemed to have a good appreciation of the others game and were very matey. It seemed like Sharp is very much the penalty box poacher having not scored from outside the box (:)!). Not really sure how Sharp would do with the Palace team as Clint does'nt seem to get much out of us (Keogh also said Sharp is the moaniest bloke in football...........!!)

Palaceboy222
04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439283&CPID=8&clid=57&lid=5&title=Hornets+move+for+Millers+duo

Skysports.com understand Watford have made a double bid for Rotherham duo Will Hoskins and Lee Williamson.

Rotherham face a fight to keep hold of the star duo with a number of clubs chasing their signatures.

The duo have impressed this season at Rotherham in League One and their performances have seen the scouts flocking to Millmoor.

Hoskins is weighing up his options after rejecting the club's offer of a new deal last month.

West Brom, Celtic and Ipswich have all been credited with an interest in Hoskins, but Watford are hoping to steal a march on their rivals by luring the forward to Vicarage Road.

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd is desperate to bolster his attacking options having lost Marlon King to long-term injury and he is thought to have set his sights on Hoskins.

Williamson has attracted the interest of Barnsley with Rotherham turning down a bid for the midfielder earlier this week.

Watford are now ready to test their resolve to keep hold of Williamson and Hoskins with a firm offer for the pair.

Freddy Kurz
04-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439283&CPID=8&clid=57&lid=5&title=Hornets+move+for+Millers+duo

Skysports.com understand Watford have made a double bid for Rotherham duo Will Hoskins and Lee Williamson.

Rotherham face a fight to keep hold of the star duo with a number of clubs chasing their signatures.

The duo have impressed this season at Rotherham in League One and their performances have seen the scouts flocking to Millmoor.

Hoskins is weighing up his options after rejecting the club's offer of a new deal last month.

West Brom, Celtic and Ipswich have all been credited with an interest in Hoskins, but Watford are hoping to steal a march on their rivals by luring the forward to Vicarage Road.

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd is desperate to bolster his attacking options having lost Marlon King to long-term injury and he is thought to have set his sights on Hoskins.

Williamson has attracted the interest of Barnsley with Rotherham turning down a bid for the midfielder earlier this week.

Watford are now ready to test their resolve to keep hold of Williamson and Hoskins with a firm offer for the pair.

At this rate we'll be lucky to sign Bob Hoskins....

BW_Palace
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
He's signed for Watford.

Ian Hart
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Bob Hoskins has signed for Watford???? :eek: :eek:

It's going to be a long good Friday.

Trolley
05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
Bob Hoskins has signed for Watford???? :eek: :eek:

It's going to be a long good Friday.

Ian Hart

:D

I would have thought that 'Bob Hoskins' might have signed for 'Millwall' as he has starred in "Den of Lions" and "Villains".

:D :p

Clapham Grand
05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
great shame we missed out there

jonesy18
05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Signed for Watford according to Skysports News...shame thought he may have been 1 we'd be looking at bringing in.