PDA

View Full Version : Footy Trivia


eagle mart
19-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Need help with two of the following questions!!

1) What is unique about Hull City?

2) What is the only English Prem./Football league club name that doesn't
include any of the letters in the word "Mackerel".

Answer: Swindon Town

3) There are eight players who have played for England who share their name
with another player i.e eight players sharing 4 names between them. Who are
they?

Daddy Long
19-10-2001, 05:26 PM
I should imagine Neville and Charlton are two of the answers to 3)

Ben H
19-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
Need help with two of the following questions!!

1) What is unique about Hull City?

2) What is the only English Prem./Football league club name that doesn't
include any of the letters in the word "Mackerel".

Answer: Swindon Town

3) There are eight players who have played for England who share their name
with another player i.e eight players sharing 4 names between them. Who are
they?

Answer to No.1 is that they are the only city never to have had a top division football team. (Only city with a team never to have had a top division team that is)

Ben H
19-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I should imagine Neville and Charlton are two of the answers to 3)

Ferdinand (Rio & Les),
Robson (Bobby I think & Brian)
Clough (Brian & Nigel)

There must be more than 8 surely?

Ben H
19-10-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Ben H


Ferdinand (Rio & Les),
Robson (Bobby I think & Brian)
Clough (Brian & Nigel)

There must be more than 8 surely?

Smith (Tommy & Alan)

Maidstoned Eagle
19-10-2001, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Ben H


Answer to No.1 is that they are the only city never to have had a top division football team. (Only city with a team never to have had a top division team that is)

I'm not sure but weren't Hull City a First Division Team back in the Thirties. I know they had their own railway station and were a really big side back then.

redandblue
19-10-2001, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Ben H


Answer to No.1 is that they are the only city never to have had a top division football team. (Only city with a team never to have had a top division team that is)

Um not sure Canterbury is a city isn't it as is Carlisle I believe and Chelmsford and possibably Colchester.>

Gooders
19-10-2001, 05:32 PM
Don't think Clough senior ever played for England did he?

redandblue
19-10-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle


I'm not sure but weren't Hull City a First Division Team back in the Thirties. I know they had their own railway station and were a really big side back then.

And what a great railway stationits is to, I remember standing there getting a great view of it going off beneath last game of teh season when we missed out on playoffs by Ipswich winning and George Wood making three howlers !!

The Omen
19-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Ashley Cole
Andy Cole

firesign
19-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by redandblue


Um not sure Canterbury is a city isn't it as is Carlisle I believe and Chelmsford and possibably Colchester.>

Carlisle have been in the top flight before (relatively recently too 1970s I think)

Colchester isn't a city

Smurph
19-10-2001, 05:39 PM
I think the question means exactly the same name, as in two Dave Smith's etc. Can't think of any actual ones at the moment.

Hull have never won any a division title, or any other senior trophy?

selhurstparkflyer
19-10-2001, 05:39 PM
surely the same name question must include the first name.

firesign
19-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
There are eight players who have played for England who share their name with another player i.e eight players sharing 4 names between them. Who are they?

1. Andy Gray & Muriel Gray
2. Geoff Thomas & Leslie Thomas
3. Glenn Hoddle & Chris Waddle (well it rhymes!!!)
4. The Chuckle Brothers

Am I close?

Dal
19-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Brian Clough did play for England. I think he was capped quite late in his own career and scored something like three goals in three games or something.

Was quite prolific in his club career with Middleboro also methinks. Retired very early due to injury though at 27ish(?).

TAK
19-10-2001, 05:45 PM
I think it's full names



Dave Watson???
Alan Smith,


err that's it

Dal
19-10-2001, 05:46 PM
Gary Stevens (Brighton) & Gary Stevens (Everton)

TAK
19-10-2001, 05:47 PM
Did both Peter Taylor's play for England?

Unique Weasel
19-10-2001, 05:51 PM
Gary Steven???????
& Gary Stevens????????

Txomin Etxaniz
19-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Dave Watson (Everton) & Dave Watson (Sunderland)

Gary Stevens (Everton) & Gary Stevens (Tottenham)

Herbert Shufflebotham (Leicester Fosse) and Herbert Shufflebotham (Accrington Stanley)

Lord Cholmondley (Old Etonians) & Lord Cholmondley (Corinthian Casuals)

Unique Weasel
19-10-2001, 05:53 PM
posted by Dal - Gary Stevens (Brighton) & Gary Stevens (Everton)

oooooppppssss didn't see that someone had allready done that!

Doh!

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 06:02 PM
Isn't Hull the BIGGEST City that hasn't been in the top flight ?

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 06:04 PM
I'm from Hull and am constantly told that fact !!

What about Andy Gray ?

I'll get my coat.

Smurph
19-10-2001, 06:07 PM
I hate to nitpick (actually that's a lie, I quite enjoy it) but Gary Steven and Gary Stevens is not the same name!

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
Need help with two of the following questions!!


3) There are eight players who have played for England who share their name
with another player i.e eight players sharing 4 names between them. Who are they
they?

Question 3 should read :

There are eight players who have played for England who share their name with another player - 4 of them white, 4 of them black.

Name them..........I know them, but I'll leave it to you guys !

redandblue
19-10-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29


Question 3 should read :

There are eight players who have played for England who share their name with another player - 4 of them white, 4 of them black.

Name them..........I know them, but I'll leave it to you guys !

Is one Andy Gray and Andy Gray ?

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eagle mart
[B]Need help with two of the following questions!!

1) What is unique about Hull City?

Answer:

You cannot colour in any of the letters in Hull City !!!!! (true !)

:p

Neil Payton
19-10-2001, 06:21 PM
Quite a few rugby clubs have played on football clubs pitches ie Sheffield Eagles at Sheffield United but cant recall a footie club playing on a rugby pitch. Apparently Hull City did in for the first year of their existence. They played at the boulevarde Hulls rugby ground. Is this the answer theyre looking for?

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by redandblue


Is one Andy Gray and Andy Gray ?

Andy Gray (the white one) is Scottish.............;)

Men At Work
19-10-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eagle mart
[B]Need help with two of the following questions!!

1) What is unique about Hull City?

Answer:

You cannot colour in any of the letters in Hull City !!!!! (true !)

:p

Perfectly correct. They are the only team with no closed letters (eg: abdeopq) in their name as well as being the biggest city to have never had a team in the top flight.

Dobbo
19-10-2001, 06:29 PM
I'm fairly sure the recognised answer for the Hull City question is that they are the only club to have their own railway station.

Kevin T
19-10-2001, 06:44 PM
Mark Wright and Ian Wright (white and black?)

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Kevin T
Mark Wright and Ian Wright (white and black?)

Correct Kevin - 1 down 3 to go............:p

Daddy Long
19-10-2001, 06:48 PM
Des Walker and Ian Walker

The Omen
19-10-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Men At Work


Perfectly correct. They are the only team with no closed letters (eg: abdeopq) in their name

I'm must be stupid! I still don't get it.....? :confused:

The Omen
19-10-2001, 06:51 PM
Has Joe Cole got a full cap?

If so,

Joe Cole and Andy\Ashley Cole

Men At Work
19-10-2001, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29
There are eight players who have played for England who share their name with another player - 4 of them white, 4 of them black.

Is this solely related to the national football team or is it a trick question that cuts across different sports (such as naming the England captains who have played for Scunthorpe Utd)?

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Men At Work


Is this solely related to the national football team or is it a trick question that cuts across different sports (such as naming the England captains who have played for Scunthorpe Utd)?

No trickery here - 3 pairs have been named, well 2 pairs and a treble ! :

Des/Ian Walker

Mark/Ian Wright

Joe/Ashley/Andy Cole

One pairing left.............

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Paul Parker / Gary/Paul Parker ?

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by The Omen


I'm must be stupid! I still don't get it.....? :confused:

Write down Hull City - Get a pen, try and colour in any part of the letters.....Now, write down Crystal Palace and see if any of the letters can be coloured in.............like the letter 'a' or 'e'.............

Here endeth the lesson :rolleyes:

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 06:59 PM
Got it !

Andy Gray / Michael Gray (Sunderland)


I thank you !

The Omen
19-10-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29

well 2 pairs and a treble ! :

Des/Ian Walker

Mark/Ian Wright

Joe/Ashley/Andy Cole


2 trebles!

Mark/Ian/Richard Wright

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
Paul Parker / Gary/Paul Parker ?

Nice try, but alas no cigar...........

Gary represented England at Youth, U21 and B - Not a full international though.............


You guys will kick yourselves........:o

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 07:02 PM
So is it not andy and micky gray ??

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Dave (or Geoff) Thomas/Mitchell (or Danny) Thomas
Gordon Hill/Ricky Hill

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by The Omen


2 trebles!

Mark/Ian/Richard Wright

:eek: :eek: :eek: Top call Omen !

Whats the final pairing though ????????

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 07:05 PM
PLEASE ANSWER !!

Is it Micheal and Andy Gray ??????????

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Please somebody believe me when I tell you there were the following as well:
Dave (or Geoff) Thomas/Mitchell (or Danny) Thomas
Gordon Hill/Ricky Hill

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by James Varcoe
Dave (or Geoff) Thomas/Mitchell (or Danny) Thomas
Gordon Hill/Ricky Hill

Ricky did not play at Full England level..........

But Geoff is correct, Mitchell Thomas was only a Youth, U21 and B player..............

Who was the other Thomas?

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:08 PM
Ricky played for England at least once versus France in Paris alongside Stein, Walsh and Williams all past or present Luton players.

Dave Thomas was an early 80's QPR winger who won several caps.

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:09 PM
Danny Thomas was a Spurs/Coventry right back whose career was finished in the early 90's

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29


Ricky did not play at Full England level..........

But Geoff is correct, Mitchell Thomas was only a Youth, U21 and B player..............

Who was the other Thomas?

John ?

:clown:

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
PLEASE ANSWER !!

Is it Micheal and Andy Gray ??????????

Okay, okay, okay - Only answer one at a time and trying to fiddle, sorry, subtmit my expenses !!

Well done, star man - You've showed me up for the fraud I am - there is 5 pairs/trebles then - Andy and Michael Gray, Ian/Mark/Richard Wright, Joe/Andy/Ashley Cole, Geoff/ ? Thomas and Des/Ian Walker.....

Daddy Long
19-10-2001, 07:10 PM
Danny is also Mitchells cousin.

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:12 PM
Ahhhhhhh F*ck it, i've lost count !:(

Ian of Chatham
19-10-2001, 07:13 PM
Former Arsenal player Michael Thomas made a couple of appearances for England back in 1990 if I'm correct.

Daddy Long
19-10-2001, 07:19 PM
Are there any white Parkers, Palmers, Campbells, Powells, Daleys, Barnes' out there that have played for England?

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:22 PM
Just to prove my point:

Date 13.10.1982
Location Wembley
Competition Friendly
Fixture England V West Germany
Result 1-2
England Scorer Woodcock
West German Scorers Rummenigge (2)
Team Shilton P L (Southampton),
Mabburt G V (Tottenham Hotspur),
Sansom K G (Arsenal),
Thompson P B (Liverpool),
Butcher T I (Ipswich Town),
Wilkins R C (Manchester United) - Captain,
Hill R A (Luton Town),
Regis C (West Bromwich Albion),
Mariner P (Ipswich Town),
Armstrong D (Middlesbrough),
Devonshire A E (West Ham United),
Subs: L L Blissett for Regis, A S Woodcock for Mariner
and G Rix for Armstrong


Peter Barnes/John Barnes - thank you Daddy Long

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by James Varcoe

Dave Thomas was an early 80's QPR winger who won several caps.

OK?

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
Former Arsenal player Michael Thomas made a couple of appearances for England back in 1990 if I'm correct.

Well done Ian, Michael was the missing link in the question - although it seems I had quite a few links missing - I'll get my coat....:rolleyes:

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by James Varcoe
Just to prove my point:

Date 13.10.1982
Location Wembley
Competition Friendly
Fixture England V West Germany
Result 1-2
England Scorer Woodcock
West German Scorers Rummenigge (2)
Team Shilton P L (Southampton),
Mabburt G V (Tottenham Hotspur),
Sansom K G (Arsenal),
Thompson P B (Liverpool),
Butcher T I (Ipswich Town),
Wilkins R C (Manchester United) - Captain,
Hill R A (Luton Town),
Regis C (West Bromwich Albion),
Mariner P (Ipswich Town),
Armstrong D (Middlesbrough),
Devonshire A E (West Ham United),
Subs: L L Blissett for Regis, A S Woodcock for Mariner
and G Rix for Armstrong

Noted.

Glad I started this one............... :grrr:

Are you Statto in disguise?

Smurph
19-10-2001, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Are there any white Parkers, Palmers, Campbells, Powells, Daleys, Barnes' out there that have played for England?

Peter Barnes

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by James Varcoe
Just to prove my point:

Date 13.10.1982
Location Wembley
Competition Friendly
Fixture England V West Germany
Result 1-2
England Scorer Woodcock
West German Scorers Rummenigge (2)
Team Shilton P L (Southampton),
Mabburt G V (Tottenham Hotspur),
Sansom K G (Arsenal),
Thompson P B (Liverpool),
Butcher T I (Ipswich Town),
Wilkins R C (Manchester United) - Captain,
Hill R A (Luton Town),
Regis C (West Bromwich Albion),
Mariner P (Ipswich Town),
Armstrong D (Middlesbrough),
Devonshire A E (West Ham United),
Subs: L L Blissett for Regis, A S Woodcock for Mariner
and G Rix for Armstrong

Okay, change the goalposts - Did Ricky :afro: (do you mind if I call him that) play for England in a competitive match.........?

Thin on Top
19-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29


Okay, okay, okay - Only answer one at a time and trying to fiddle, sorry, subtmit my expenses !!

Well done, star man - You've showed me up for the fraud I am - there is 5 pairs/trebles then - Andy and Michael Gray, Ian/Mark/Richard Wright, Joe/Andy/Ashley Cole, Geoff/ ? Thomas and Des/Ian Walker.....
Thanks, didn't mean to shout, just thought you'd forgot about me !!

James Varcoe
19-10-2001, 07:33 PM
I'd have thought Germany at home was quite competitive!!

I don't know I'll check

Regards

Statto

eagle mart
19-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Jesus fecking christ! (oops I could get locked up for that according to Mr Blunkett)

Didn't expect this sort of response! Not sure where you're getting the surname only from but I've worked it out as the following;

3) Dave Watson (s); Gary Stevens ('); Frank Lampard (Jnr/Snr) and Alan Smith (s)


Yes, Hull are the only club name that have no closed letters in them such as a,b,o,d,r,q etc.

Now I've got get back to phoning 09068 770159 to 'save the Selhurst four'

firesign
19-10-2001, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
Need help with two of the following questions!!

1) What is unique about Hull City?

Hull is also set to join the gowing number of clubs who have better stadiums than us!!! :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Today I've written a small news item for my magazine based on the following:
PRESS RELEASE FROM BIRSE CONSTRUCTION
'New Stadium for Hull'

The project was secured on a competitive design and build basis and we were selected not only on the basis of value for money but also on our track record of other prestigious stadium projects, our approach to the tender and with our Head Office nearby at Barton on Humber our commitment to the local community.

Designed as an asymmetrical bowl the stadium comprises two tiers of seating to the main west stand and a single tier to the other subsidiary stands.

Hospitality, conference and banqueting is contained within the west stand together with 28 executive boxes that seat up to ten people each.

The North and East stand contain community facilities including education and fitness suites and offices for the football and rugby club. Space has been left for future expansion and development in the south stand.

The pitch has been designed to cater for both football and rugby and has an automatic irrigation system as well as underpitch heating.

The indoor sports hall is totally self contained and located in close proximity to the stadium. The Hall can accommodate 12 badminton courts with the flexibility to convert fully or partially for basketball, 5-a-side football or indoor cricket.

Spectators are accommodated by the provision of 300 fixed seats supplemented by 1200 mobile ones.

Externally there are 2 No synthetic all weather pitches which are floodlit for night time use.

External works comprises access roads with junction improvements and a 600 space car park. Pedestrian bridges are provided at two locations crossing the adjacent railway providing convenient access to the city centre.

Ian of Chatham
19-10-2001, 08:03 PM
Sounds like pie in the sky over East Yorkshire to me, firesign. How the Hull are they going to finance the building of that new stadium?

bert head is god
19-10-2001, 08:08 PM
A joint football/rugby stadium will certainly assist financing.

You know how these northerners love their rugby league

firesign
19-10-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
Sounds like pie in the sky over East Yorkshire to me, firesign. How the Hull are they going to finance the building of that new stadium?

Because it's being financed (37m), and will be owned, by Kingston upon Hull City Council.

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
Sounds like pie in the sky over East Yorkshire to me, firesign. How the Hull are they going to finance the building of that new stadium?

I think it is somewhat of a piss take...........I think the line "Spectators are accommodated by the provision of 300 fixed seats supplemented by 1200 mobile ones." gives it away !

firesign
19-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ukjay_29


I think it is somewhat of a piss take...........I think the line "Spectators are accommodated by the provision of 300 fixed seats supplemented by 1200 mobile ones." gives it away !

The 300 seats are for the indoor sports hall.

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 08:17 PM
How can the council afford to finance a project that big?

firesign
19-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Most of the money is coming from the council with some from the Lottery.

As it will be multi purpose the Council obviously hope it will ultimately make some money

for more details/pix see http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/pds/flagshipprojects/index.php

Ian of Chatham
19-10-2001, 08:33 PM
It actually says on the council website:

Finance

Kingston upon Hull City Council will be providing the majority of the finance for this project, the total cost of which is estimated at 45 million, although additional funding support is being sought from both the Football Foundation and Sport England's lottery fund.

The key words are "is being sought" i.e. they haven't got it yet. That alone is another reason which backs up my earlier comment.

I'm not beng funny here but I have heard about too many new stadium projects falling by the wayside (e.g. Luton's Kohlerdome) or taking too long to build (e.g. Oxford's Minchley Farm) to be jealous of clubs announcing new projects. I couldn't care less if most of the other 91 clubs who haven't built a new stadium yet turn round and announce that they are building new ones tomorrow. We don't need a new stadium at Palace until we are financially capable of building one and can make a reasonable attempt at filling it and we are still capable of competing in the transfer market with other teams in the first Division (or if we do get promoted, all the teams in the Premiership bar the obvious title challengers).

ukjay_29
19-10-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
It acually says on the council website:


We don't need a new stadium at Palace until we are financially capable of building one and can make a reasonable attempt at filling it and we are still capable of competing in the transfer market with other teams in the first Division (or if we do get promoted, all the teams in the Premiership bar the obvious title challengers).

Totally agree :p

west country boy
19-10-2001, 08:47 PM
There was a player called "*******" who got one cap for England back in the 1910s/1920s. Dunno what colour he was though.

west country boy
19-10-2001, 08:48 PM
Blimey, didn't know that wouldn't get through the swear filter. What I meant to say was B@sta@rd.

west country boy
19-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Or even B@st@rd. I knew a three hour lunch break wasn't a good idea.

firesign
19-10-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
It actually says on the council website:

The key words are "is being sought" i.e. they haven't got it yet.

That's because the website hasn't been updated. The Council has signed contract with Birse Construction who will be building the stadium.

I think it would be great to see Palace in a smart, modern, safe stadium, but clearly others disagree.

jlmatthews
20-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Here is a toughie...what great footballer do i share a surname with??

pete eagle
20-10-2001, 12:50 AM
now thats a hard 1 :clown:

AlanW
20-10-2001, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Dal
Brian Clough did play for England. I think he was capped quite late in his own career and scored something like three goals in three games or something.

Was quite prolific in his club career with Middleboro also methinks. Retired very early due to injury though at 27ish(?).

He played twice

17.10.59 v Wales (Ninian Park)
28.10.59 v Sweden (Wembley)

No goals!