PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's back!!!!

Jim Cannons Moustache
06-11-2001, 09:37 PM
Can't believe what i've just heard but on Talksport just now there was an Oldham fan who said that it looks like there next managment team will be the dream team of Iain Dowie and a certain ALAN SMITH!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

zonin2000
06-11-2001, 09:41 PM
:D

says it all.

or :eek:

biggus mickus
06-11-2001, 09:49 PM
Its life Jim,but not as we know it.

Gavin Axten
06-11-2001, 09:55 PM
Oh dear

selhurst
06-11-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache
the dream team of Iain Dowie and a certain ALAN SMITH

'Dream Team'? More like 'Scream Team'... :eek:

Dillenger
06-11-2001, 09:57 PM
he's back, and this time he's angry.

Les Butler
06-11-2001, 10:02 PM
SMITH OUT !

Granada allover
06-11-2001, 10:03 PM
They're back and this time they're both ugly...

Dillenger
06-11-2001, 10:08 PM
oldham in the FA cup would be nice

charltonhater
06-11-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
oldham in the FA cup would be nice

Don't be daft, we would be bound to lose to a side managed by Alan Smith then

Tony Humphreys
06-11-2001, 10:14 PM
Shiploads of garlic and sharpened stakes to Oldham then!

cumbrian_eagles
06-11-2001, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by charltonhater

Don't be daft, we would be bound to lose to a side managed by Alan Smith then

So you dont want Swindon, cos Razor would score :eek:

Mal Come Ally Son
06-11-2001, 10:18 PM
There's one born every day - and that lucky sod Smith keeps bumping in to them.

zonin2000
06-11-2001, 10:26 PM
well since jordan says he wont employ somebody already in a job- then its a relief!

OLD BASING EAGLE
07-11-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
well since jordan says he wont employ somebody already in a job- then its a relief!

Do you actually believe that? Jordan is ruthless and will get who he believes to be the best man for the job whether that person is in current employ or not.

James Melody
07-11-2001, 05:30 AM
NO DON'T SAY IT!!!!! ARGHGH.............

Ruskin Old Boy
07-11-2001, 01:09 PM
From the Oldham Chronicle:

FORMER Northern Ireland striker Iain Dowie was today interviewed by Athletic for the position of head coach. And there is the intriguing prospect of Dowie being reunited with his former manager Alan Smith, who is reportedly in the frame to become technical director.

I can also reveal that Ian Atkins, who as a player won a league championship and European Cup Winners Cup with Everton, has also had talks with Athletic chairman Chris Moore and chief executive Alan Hardy.

By the end of today, Athletic will have interviewed 12 of the 35 who have applied for the two posts at Boundary Park.

Mr Hardy disclosed, however, that Chris Waddle and Jim Smith, who have been linked with the management jobs, have not applied.

But Mr Hardy did not rule out making an approach for Smith, recently sacked by Premiership club Derby County, as the ‘Bald Eagle’ has revealed he is prepared to join a forward-looking club in the lower divisions.

“We are interested in anybody who has ambitions in taking Oldham Athletic forward,” explained Mr Hardy.

But it is the Dowie/Alan Smith partnership which is a fascinating prospect as a possible dream management ticket.

Dowie (36) has retired from playing after a career which saw him win 59 full caps for Northern Ireland and have two spells at West Ham as well as playing for Luton, Southampton, Crystal Palace and QPR.

And it was Alan Smith who signed Dowie, who has become a respected television pundit, for Palace from Southampton for £500,000 in 1994/95.

Smith’s playing career was ended prematurely following a car accident, but he has gone on to become a respected coach/manager.

He steered Palace to the first division championship in 1994, but could not keep them in the Premiership.

Smith has since been at Wycombe, Fulham where he was in charge of the Academy, and last season returned for a second spell managing Palace.

Atkins has become a highly respected manager in the lower divisions having been in charge at Colchester, Cambridge, Doncaster Rovers, Northampton Town and last season helping Carlisle preserve their league status.

He joined Cardiff City this season as Alan Cork’s No 2, but was recently sacked by the Welsh club, reportedly in a cost-cutting exercise.

paf
07-11-2001, 01:12 PM
Alan Smith was merely a bad manager, I'd welcome him back with open arms over scum like Bruce and Vegetables.

Captain Pizza
07-11-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

But it is the Dowie/Alan Smith partnership which is a fascinating prospect as a possible dream management ticket.

I never thought I would live to see the day when the words "Dowie", "Alan Smith" and "Dream management ticket" would appear in the same sentence.

That's it. I'm never going to read a newspaper again.

Axie
07-11-2001, 01:20 PM
Isn't it a Mick Wadsworth/Iain Dowie partnership that's going to be unveiled at Oldham ???

Ruskin Old Boy
07-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Laurel and Hardy springs to mind....as does Baron Frankenstein and his monster :hmph:

Kevin T
07-11-2001, 01:55 PM
You can see how Tabloid papers get their stories.

On ex-manager Alan Smith, Paul Field, 16, from Crystal Palace says 'I'd welcome him back with open arms'

E.X Moontoad
07-11-2001, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by paf
Alan Smith was merely a bad manager, I'd welcome him back with open arms over scum like Bruce and Vegetables.

True,at least he's loyal.
As long as he's kept away from the managers seat he could do a decent job somewhere as a youth/reserve team coach or academy director.

arussell
07-11-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Axie
Isn't it a Mick Wadsworth/Iain Dowie partnership that's going to be unveiled at Oldham ???

Well that's what I've heard !

Norfolk Eagle
07-11-2001, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

Smith..............has gone on to become a respected coach/manager.

Hey, look at those pigs flying past my window!

AddiscombeEagle
07-11-2001, 02:18 PM
As football director, I can imagine it already.

Oldham win " I have worked really hard and looked at the opposition before deciding on my tactics which won this game"

Oldham lose "Iain Dowie got the tactics all wrong, he knows he has made a mistake but I am prepared to accept that as he is new to the game"

or

"The training has been good, the tactics were right but once they go on the pitch there is nothing I can do, they are a young team but sometimes I pull what little hair I have out."

or

"we are a northern team we have to realise there is no point wearing fancy watches and fancy clothes, it is grim ooop north and we have to learn to face the cold and play like Northern fighters(not the alliance)."

Chris K
07-11-2001, 02:49 PM
Dear oh Dear thats another 2 we can cross off the prospective manager list then along with Carlton Palmer. Whatever will we do?

Neil the Eagle
07-11-2001, 03:01 PM
Mick Wadsworth got it. no mention of Smith or Dowie.

Wadsworth's fairly comprehenmsive profile of the Latics site neglects to mention his short spell at Palace... wonder why? :(

Ruskin Old Boy
07-11-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Mick Wadsworth got it. no mention of Smith or Dowie.

Wadsworth's fairly comprehenmsive profile of the Latics site neglects to mention his short spell at Palace... wonder why? :(

My well-informed source in the north west says that Dowie is part of the package - but not Smith :)