PDA

View Full Version : Worst player to play in the Premiership

pedro
07-11-2001, 08:51 PM
On the 'Edinburgh' thread within the Transfer Forum it was stated that he was the worst player ever to grace the Premiership. A few other names have since been mentioned and it occured to me that it may well be worth setting up a separate thread. Who do you think is the worst Player ? For the record I went for Rufus Brevett.

paf
07-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Justin Edinburgh.

AddiscombeEagle
07-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Torben Piechnik at Liverpool or Carl Leaburn(Doh Valerie Ishmael)or most of the Charlton Team

markholmes1991
07-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Torben Piknic. Many of you probably don't remember him from his Liverpool days but he was awful. A defender prone to wasteful distribution, and constant error in judgment. Souness signed him and he even admitted he ranks as one of his worst signings.
Shipped out in 94 and never to be heard of again. Looked well out of place on a football pitch let alone on a premiership stage.

Benzhiyi
07-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by paf
Justin Edinburgh.

Trust me, Spurs have done far worse than Ednburgh, and it is one of those players who is offcially Thw Worst Footballer I Have Ever Seen:

step forward JASON DOZZELL!

Awful. :grrr:

markholmes1991
07-11-2001, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
Torben Piechnik at Liverpool or Carl Leaburn(Doh Valerie Ishmael)or most of the Charlton Team

that is bloody scary I was just riting about him as you posted the exact same name.

AddiscombeEagle
07-11-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991

that is bloody scary I was just riting about him as you posted the exact same name.

Great Minds and all that;)

markholmes1991
07-11-2001, 08:58 PM
Dozzell had a good first season in the premiership 92/93 which persuaded Spurs to part with the 2 million +. He gained a reputation as a veratile midfielder with the ability to score goals. After his move to Spurs it all went horribly wrong for him

Son of Shacker
07-11-2001, 09:01 PM
Itkiz Zohar:eek:
Sieb Dykstra QPR:eek: :eek: Lanky streak of pss
Brolin
Most West Ham players, Boogers, Boere, Paulo Futre? and many more
Lee Sinnott

It pains me to pick palace players but they were awful. Bad. Very bad

candide
07-11-2001, 09:01 PM
let me just whisper this question; has austin played in the premiership?

markholmes1991
07-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Robert Rosario is another name that springs to mind!
Jason Lee perhaps? Minus the pineapple
Stella solbaken

Clapham Grand
07-11-2001, 09:03 PM
That bloke who conned Souness by pretending he was George Weah's cousin and being taken off after 20 mins of action as a sub!

Benzhiyi
07-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by candide
let me just whisper this question; has austin played in the premiership?

Yes, and as I said earlier, Edinburgh was worse, as was Dozzell, Ronny Rosenthal, Darren Caskey, Stuart Nethercott, Danny Hill, Kevin Scott and many other players I've seen at Spurs over the past few years.

However, someone else has just sprung to mind -

ALI DEA

Remember some guy called up Souness at Southampton claiming to be George Weah and recommending his cousin? Souness took this bloke - Ali Dea - on trial and brought him on during some game as sub, before subbing him back off five minutes later when he realised he'd been hoaxed!

Well I thought it was brilliant :love: :vader: :p :o

Benzhiyi
07-11-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
That bloke who conned Souness by pretending he was George Weah's cousin and being taken off after 20 mins of action as a sub!

DOH!!!!! Sorry mate I hadn't read to the bottom of the thread :hmph:

Captain Pizza
07-11-2001, 09:20 PM

Spot on. He's now playing in the Ryman 2nd or something similar isn't he?

No-one likes to see such a smashing geezer as Souness conned, do they now?

Symon10
07-11-2001, 09:21 PM
Barthez?

Supa Ol
07-11-2001, 09:25 PM
Who could forget these expensive-yet-appalling imports?

Andreas Andersson
Kasey Keller
Andrea Silenzi
Massimo Taibi
Jon Dahl Tomasson

Sir JB
07-11-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Son of Shacker

Sieb Dykstra QPR:eek: :eek: Lanky streak of pss

Anyone remember the game in the Prem against QPR on boxing day? It was 0-0 and this guy made save after save :grrr:

cpfc_connection
07-11-2001, 09:39 PM
iain dowie??
any striker who goes 18 months without scoring a single goal must be in that list.

Andy Roberts, along with most of the wim*ledon team,

most of the clownton team.

radacoui??? (spelling isnt terrible but that guy who played for west ham and cost redknapp 1m)

Gooders
08-11-2001, 07:42 PM
Emile Heskey.

Webb
08-11-2001, 10:04 PM
silenzi!!!!!!:eek:

west country boy
08-11-2001, 10:08 PM
Ali Dia definitely.

But Richards Dunne and Edghill were entertaining last season (especially since my flatmate is a City season ticket holder).

JamieBcpfc
11-11-2001, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Torben Piknic. Many of you probably don't remember him from his Liverpool days but he was awful. A defender prone to wasteful distribution, and constant error in judgment. Souness signed him and he even admitted he ranks as one of his worst signings.
Shipped out in 94 and never to be heard of again. Looked well out of place on a football pitch let alone on a premiership stage.

ill look for him on cm 2001/02

Daniel_Nash
11-11-2001, 12:55 AM
William Prunier, played at United for about 2 games.
Massimo Taibi, ditto.

Sol Campbell.

Are we talking ability-wise or conscience wise?

charltonhater
11-11-2001, 03:42 PM
Boogers! Billio! Barthez! Brolin!

Jimbo ?
11-11-2001, 04:43 PM
That ManU keeper must be close on worse goalies!!!
The rest of the palace team must be close for other positions - Ismael Zohar Brolin - Worst signing must go to Padavano!!!!

arussell
11-11-2001, 10:16 PM
Itzik Zohar and Valerian Ismael

pete eagle
11-11-2001, 10:22 PM
Something Todorov, i've seen him play for West Ham this season and last, and he is awful, cannot hit the target from 3 yards.

And what about michael Owen, never really fulfilled his promise did her :D :D :D :D :D

JamieBcpfc
19-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Svetoslav Toderpv is not that bad, he has done well this season for Pompey
On the subject it has to be Marco Boogers, dutch gipsy for some reason signed by Redknap. In his first game got sent of for hacking Gary Neville against Man Ure in 95-96. After that quit football went mad and went to live in a caravan

RtS
19-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Gus Ceasar?

Nelson Muntz
19-06-2003, 09:02 PM
How can you forget Ade Akinbiyi?

selhurstparkflyer
19-06-2003, 09:20 PM

That was a superb story.

Trilby
19-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Captain Pizza
Spot on. He's now playing in the Ryman 2nd or something similar isn't he?

No-one likes to see such a smashing geezer as Souness conned, do they now? Oi. Nothing wrong with Ryman Second:grrr:

Latvian Eagle
20-06-2003, 12:35 AM
The player in the Ryman Second is Christopher Wreh. The person in question is Ali Dia. The West Hame Romanian mentioned was Florian Radicioiu or something like that. Stale Solbakken is another that springs to mind. I also remember William Prunnier, he played 4 games altogether for United I think. Bald geezer.

Taibi isn't that bad a keeper, just will forever be remembered for THAT goal. Man Utd have had their fair share of sh@te. Kevin Pilkington a Premiership keeper anyone? :eek: Not to mention the likes of Vince Bartram, Andy Marriott and Alan Fettis gracing the Premiership in recent times.

Our worst have to be Zohar, Brolin, Padavano.

gjtango
20-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Anyone remember Eric Nevland for Man Utd? Whatever happened to him?

The Omen
20-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Supa Ol

Andreas Andersson
Kasey Keller

Bit harsh on them two! :confused:

The Omen
20-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by gjtango
Anyone remember Eric Nevland for Man Utd? Whatever happened to him?

He was only a youth player - hardly worthy of worst premiership player ever!!

The Omen
20-06-2003, 12:55 AM
LeBouef (spl?)

Worst defender I've seen - yet he thought he was world class. Loved it when Shearer tore him apart when Chelsea played Newcastle.

Oz_da_Eagle
20-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Jamie Carragher

and England Captain :p

stevejfh
20-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by The Omen
LeBouef (spl?)

Worst defender I've seen - yet he thought he was world class. Loved it when Shearer tore him apart when Chelsea played Newcastle.

I can understand why Mr LeBoeuf would be unpopular with non-Chelsea supporters. His constant whinging in the press, play-acting, trying to get opponents booked or sent-off & THAT appearance on They Think It's All Over (I won the World Cup!) were never likely to endear him to rival fans. But, to suggest that he's the Premiership's worst ever player has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read.
During 5 years at Chelsea Frank won 2 FA Cups, A Worthington Cup, A European Cup Winners Cup, The European Super Cup & The Charity Shield. In ALL of those games Chelsea kept clean-sheets. Let's not forget 46 appearances for France, including another clean sheet in a World Cup Final.
So if he thought he was world class - I, for one, agree with him.

My own worst Premiership player would be Lee Hughes. Went through the whole of last season without once getting his name on the score sheet. Every time I watched West Brom, I thought he'd be lucky to get in my Sunday team. Truly awful player.

kolinkins
20-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Kasey Keller

he is quite good though.

Twyford Bee
21-06-2003, 01:27 PM
That who I thought of when I saw this thread.

A few of our players of early Noades vintage made the odd appearance for you in the Premiership, what about people like Tony Folan and Robert Quinn? Didn't they play for you in the Premiership for one or two games? Someone did a list of our players who'd played in the Premiership and Folan was definitely on it as a result of 1 game.

kolinkins
21-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Folan played around 10mins of the last game of our relegation season 97/98, in the same game as Clinton made his debut.

c_block_lad
21-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Brevett

pallet
21-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Itzik Zohar and Valerian Ismael were pretty bad along with Brolin. Anyone remeber that bloke who played for Newcastle called Des Cater.What a donkey.

Latvian Eagle
21-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Silvio Maric - Newcastle

PeterH
21-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by stevejfh
My own worst Premiership player would be Lee Hughes. Went through the whole of last season without once getting his name on the score sheet. Every time I watched West Brom, I thought he'd be lucky to get in my Sunday team. Truly awful player.

Unfortunately, likely to recapture his form against us next season. :(

c_block_lad
21-06-2003, 07:11 PM
You just know it!

Captain Black
22-06-2003, 05:40 PM
How about Marco Boogers - caravan dwelling Belgian who cost West Ham a lot of money?

daz_eagle
22-06-2003, 05:44 PM

Andreas Andersson
Kasey Keller
Andrea Silenzi
Massimo Taibi
Jon Dahl Tomasson

er, not me, coz kasey kellers a good keeper and jd tommasson now ply's his trade in that football wilderness known as......milan - hardly a 'bad' player!!!!

daz_eagle
22-06-2003, 05:45 PM
The worst surely is the bloke who claimed to be george weah's cousin and played 5 mins from the bencg for southampton - before being substituted.

WorthingEagle
22-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Oz_da_Eagle
Jamie Carragher

and England Captain :p

I'll second that, terrible player.

daz_eagle
22-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Rufus Brevett's a good player! Certainly nowhere near the worst ever! Some of you people, honestly! :eek:

Nelson Muntz
22-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Give it to Heskey

Skin Up
22-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Karic must have played in the Prem for Ipswich, if so he's got to be a contender.

Daniel_Nash
22-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Silvio Maric - Newcastle

He's just been transferred from Dinamo Zagreb (NK Dinamo?) to Panathinaikos!

More Champions League footy for him!

Daniel_Nash
22-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Anyway...

David Kerslake
Jason Cundy
Justin Edinburgh.. all Spurs :(

Florian Radioceau (sp).. came with big hopes, flopped big time.

kolinkins
22-06-2003, 06:58 PM
didnt west ham have a player called marco boogers? truly awful. also, i seem to remember lombardo bought in an italian mate to play a few games, i think his name was bilio. he was not much cop. I think people have been a little harsh on brolin - awful with us, but he was ok at leeds.

mrgins
22-06-2003, 07:19 PM

Andreas Andersson
Kasey Keller
Andrea Silenzi
Massimo Taibi
Jon Dahl Tomasson
why keller?

Malakite
22-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Cygan - Arsenal - I thought he was absolutely USELESS, they practically lost every game that he played in!!

JamieBcpfc
22-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Captain Black
How about Marco Boogers - caravan dwelling Belgian who cost West Ham a lot of money?
i mentioned him earlier, very very bad player

Gark Moldberg
23-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by JamieBcpfc
i mentioned him earlier, very very bad player

I was beginning to think I was reading the same page of the thread over and over again. What with that bloke from belgium who lived in a caravan and the bloke at Southampton who got someone to phone up Souness...

olreagle
23-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Chris Armstrong when he was at Spurs

18mcpalace
23-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Tomas Brolin, Valerien Ismael, Michele Padovano, oh and a certain Mr Akinbiyi.

Latvian
23-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Granville played in the Prem didnt he?

cpfc_connection
23-06-2003, 07:12 PM
how about arsenal's latvian defender stepahnovs? (sp?) truly got taken apart when arsenal lost 6-1 at old trafford...i dnt think he has played for arsenal since :eek:

Daniel_Nash
23-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by olreagle
Chris Armstrong when he was at Spurs

Except for the 62 goals, in 170 apps. Many as a sub.

I'll see your Chris Armstrong, and raise you a Mauricio Taricco!!

Originally posted by cpfc_connection
how about arsenal's latvian defender stepahnovs? (sp?) truly got taken apart when arsenal lost 6-1 at old trafford...i dnt think he has played for arsenal since :eek:

He has played a fair few times since, he is a bit bad.. but still young.

I think he might have even played last season Arsenal vs Man U, near the end of the season. They had a defender crisis though.

Jimbo ?
23-06-2003, 08:37 PM
sadly ade akinbiyi must be up there! Ismael must be close although i do remember him doing well in a couple of games..... really its listing the palace team!

camara at liverpool never did much and there were a number of major flops there like diomede traore and alike but they probably werent that bad, Brolin must be close too.

there are 2 things - worst player and worst signing - akinbiyi was a bad signing but there were worse players than him!

wedgetail
23-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Neil Emblen must be there somewhere.

Skid Row
24-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Lucas Neill from Leeds.

DedBallSpeshlst
25-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Peter Fear with the squatters

cpfcben
25-06-2003, 08:38 AM
dean austin
actually how did he ever manage to play professional football

(only joking you deano you always gave 110% thats why)

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-06-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marco Boogers of West Ham who got homesick for Belgium. Another funny one was the bloke who claimed to be George Weah's twin brother who played for Liverpool.

Cleon
25-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Latvian
Granville played in the Prem didnt he?

He's also won the European Cup Winners Cup!!!!!!!! :eek:

And he's utter cack.

Dozzell was rubbish... will have to check with other half who claims to have got off with him once upon a time...

He was last seen playing for Colchester I think.

Finbar
25-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Lucas Neill!? He's quality, so is Keller!!

Think you're all jolly harsh

Ruddock warrants a mention surely

Daddy Long
25-06-2003, 12:27 PM
I am glad someone has mentioned David Kerslake.

Other mentions must surely go to Kvarme (Liverpool), Andersson and Thomason (Newcastle), David Hillier and Ian Selley (Arsenal), Dichio (West Brom)

Dartford Lad
27-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Darren McDonagh was Kevin Keegan's first signing when Newcastle got into the Premier League. He signed from Luton and looked like a twin of Jan Molby.
There has been some cack keeper's:
Rhys Wilmot
Patrick Foletti of Derby
Clive Baker of Ipswich
Nicky Hammond of Swindon
and the already mentioned Pilkington and Bartram.

Adrian Paz - Ipswich
Milton Nunez, Baki Mercimek, Tom Peeters, Lilian Laslandes, Nicholas Medina, Jan Eriksson and Thomas Helmer to name a few at Sunderland.
Per Pedersen, a 2m signing for Blackburn.
Lee Marshall - Leicester and West Brom.
Raggy Soma, Laurent Courtois and Vladimir Labant of West Ham.

Slovak Eagle
28-06-2003, 11:19 PM
didnt Eric Nevland play for a Norweigan team in the UEFA cup or champs league qualifiers or something and score against an english team?? i think it was Liverpool they played against.

erm crap premiership players??
i thought jose dominquez for spurs was pretty awful

Daniel_Nash
28-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Ahhh.. lay off Dominguez, he got Keown sent off :) a worth achievement. He was so small and had quick feet, a couple of stepovers and Keown was nowhere, so he just lunged and got sent off.

That day Spurs took a 2-0 lead, Arsenal had 2 sent off (Ljungberg too, turned round and stuck 2 fingers up at the ref) and Spurs won 2-1 :D

Tor
29-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Slovak Eagle
didnt Eric Nevland play for a Norweigan team in the UEFA cup or champs league qualifiers or something and score against an english team?? i think it was Liverpool they played against.

erm crap premiership players??
i thought jose dominquez for spurs was pretty awful

Nevland plays for Viking, and they beat Chelsea in the UEFA cup.
He's actually quite good, and my guess is that he'll be back in Europe before long.

And you who mentioned Kvarme? He's on Sociedads first team, and came very close to the La Liga title this season. Blame Liverpool, not him. He's a quality player, one time described as "a downright pain in the ass to play against". :D