PDA

View Full Version : Which club (other than Palace) do you like the most?

Skin Up
13-11-2001, 04:54 PM
As theres threads on most hated and dullest side, how about one on your most liked non-Palace club. I personally have a soft spot for:

Halifax (Dads team)
Crewe (A role model for skint clubs that you don`t have to play the long ball to get out of the lower divisons)
Northampton (used to live there and watched them a few times)
Man City ( feel sorry for them livng in Manures shadow and 30000+ crowds in the 2nd division a few years back, respect due.

Jimbo ?
13-11-2001, 05:11 PM
St Johnstone!!!!!The cream of scottish Football!!!!

Gavin Axten
13-11-2001, 05:18 PM
In England it used to be Orient but now Brentford, in Scotland I always look out for Berwick's score.

Glaws Eagle
13-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Cheltenham 'cos they are local.

And maybe Chelsea/Millwall/Brighton to hope they have lost!

Gooders
13-11-2001, 05:22 PM
Bristol Rovers - not had a lot of luck recently. And I've never seen us play them!

Lords Eagle
13-11-2001, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid it's Gillingham for m, my local club for the past 24+ years. Also listen out for Greenock Morton's score in Scotland, can't remember why!!

Perky
13-11-2001, 05:24 PM
Lincoln City

Son of Selhurst
13-11-2001, 05:25 PM
Crystal Palace. :love: There is only one club for me.

I don't understand how other people can follow more than one club. Fella at work does. And it's amazing how many people 'support' foreign clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus etc... Surely that puts them in the same class as 95% of Man U 'fans' ...

Pistike
13-11-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst

I don't understand how other people can follow more than one club. Fella at work does. And it's amazing how many people 'support' foreign clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus etc... Surely that puts them in the same class as 95% of Man U 'fans' ...

So my Hungarian mates who support Palace are like 95% of Man Utd supporters then?

AddiscombeEagle
13-11-2001, 05:37 PM
Palace and thats it for me, maybe go and see a non league team, like the mighty Croydon but nope, Palace thats it.

firesign
13-11-2001, 05:50 PM
I have a soft spot for Reading as I used to go out with a girl from there who was a big Royals fan. Went to quite a few games with her to Elm Park back in the early 90s.

Also Like Leeds as I supported them for about 6 months before switching to Palace. When I was younger we wee going on holiday and my mum bought me a holdall with Leeds written on it and my brother got an Arsenal holdall. So I followed Leeds for a while until my eldest brother took me to Selhurst and have followed Palace ever since - though my other bro stuck with Arsenal :grrr:

Nowadays I also follow Bromsgrove Rovers - who have the fattest manager in the world.

But Palace will always be number by a long long way.

jlmatthews
13-11-2001, 05:54 PM
Reading or Yeovil Town

Strathclyde Eagle
13-11-2001, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?

Yes, full of clots. ;)

Well, someone had to say it. :rolleyes:

Come on the Well!

nicky
13-11-2001, 06:30 PM
St. Pauli

Jimmy The Lips
13-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Loads of teams from strange places - Ujpest, Petrzalka, Northern Spirit and Aston Villa

Ruskin Old Boy
13-11-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst

I've supported Juve since I was 8 - when John Charles was transfered - best Welsh defender of all time :) (Mind you Peter Nicholas wasn't half bad :) ) And always look out for both Croydon results :cool:

The Blackadder
13-11-2001, 08:08 PM
Galatasaray.

markholmes1991
13-11-2001, 08:11 PM
Carshalton Athletic, mainly as I watched them up until the age of 11 down at Colsten Avenue with my old man.
Southend United for some unknown reason!

PENGE P
13-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Venus club = Farringdon

FOSSBLOKE
13-11-2001, 08:18 PM
Glasgow Rangers

Couldn't bear to even think about supporting any other English Club other than Palace......

The Omen
13-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Kingstonian's - They are my local side.

sunshine lucas
13-11-2001, 08:40 PM
AIRDRIE!!!
They've always been my second team - and over the last few years they've been 'very palace' - i.e. they were in severe financial problems, nearly went under, kept going and indeed are having a fantastic season at the mo' due to a brilliant manager.. (that last bit is less 'palace') They've also yo-yoed between the 1st and the Premiership for a while and done fairly well in the cups!
Stay sunny
:cool:

Mat ov CPFC
13-11-2001, 08:41 PM
Hadjuk Split, ( Croatia ), Butmir ( Bosnia ), the might Lubeck ( Germany ),
Hamilton Accademicals(sp) ( Scotland ). I like to see Brentford do well and also have a soft spot for Bournemouth who were very supportive when we where in the mire a few years back.

Have to say that its only really Hadjuk who occupy any real part of my footballing heart that is not given over to the mighty CPFC !

biggus mickus
13-11-2001, 08:53 PM
St Johnstone.For f***s sake,dont ask me why.It really hurts my head.

MARKOFBLOCKB
13-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
in Scotland I always look out for Berwick's score. [/B]

SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elgin City

Terrace Bickle
13-11-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?

Me too, selected on the basis that my first name is John:rolleyes:

Well I was eight at the time, also had a soft spot for Wolves and Burnley (Big clubs fallen on hard times then) but hate both in equal amounts now.

biggus mickus
13-11-2001, 09:24 PM
Sorry Mark.**** happens!
At least we dont glory hunt with the big two.

zonin2000
13-11-2001, 09:42 PM
No-one seriously other than Palace.

I look out for Carlisle's score because of my cousin, Brentford because of SSC.
From the Premiership i don't really 'look out' for any scores, since i know them anyway- but I like to watch West Ham because I like their classy players (even Thomas Repka manages to get sent off classily) and they provide entertainment. Not that I give a flying ____ how they do.

adonkis
13-11-2001, 10:05 PM
Although im palace through and through and there is nothing that comes close to my red and blue heart, I get sent a real madrid shirt every season from a mate i met when i worked in a bar in spain for a year, other than that I only really look out for Celtic scores cos every one is either rangers or celtic!:angel: :vader:
RESPECT AS ALWAYS THE MIGHTY RED N BLUE FOR THERE IS NO OTHER QUITE LIKE HER!

El Aguila
13-11-2001, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adonkis
[, I get sent a real madrid shirt every season from a mate i met when i worked in a bar in spain for a year,

Spawn of Satan;)

Simon Forrest
13-11-2001, 10:11 PM
I always look for;

1) Watford - place of birth.
2) Hibernian - soft spot - they came third when we did.
3) Roma - been there on holiday - got a scarf.
4) Anyone playing Brighton.
5) England.

Stereotypically fairwheather?

Simon Forrest
13-11-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Simon Forrest
I always look for;

3) Roma - been there on holiday - got a scarf.

<note also that Alan Mullery did the same thing!> :)

James Melody
13-11-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by adonkis
other than that I only really look out for Celtic scores cos every one is either rangers or celtic!:angel: :vader:

Sorry, I have to disagree here. Scotish football is vastly inferior to the game in England. The whole celtic/rangers thing isn't even about football - it's about irrational hatred. A good friend of mine (from Glasgow) used to support Celtic but stopped when he went to see a game and saw a young boy (about 10) waving a picture of the pope at the rangers players and yelling "proddy" obscenities.

I for one would never lower myself to support either of the Big Two Glasgow Sides....

Partick Thistle all the way!!!!

TopKnot
13-11-2001, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
I'm afraid it's Gillingham for m, my local club for the past 24+ years.

me too...used to go with a mate to Priestfield now and then. From a time before they could be considered rivals.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I supported them, just tended to keep an eye out for their scores and all that.

chileman
14-11-2001, 01:55 AM
The Kidderminster Harriers!
And over in Chile, I support Cobreloa!

Eagle 2000
14-11-2001, 02:13 AM
Bromley, as that is where I'm from.

Apart from that, of the London teams I like:

West Ham (the colours, the football and so many connections with Palace over the years, a la Johnny Byrne)

Arsenal (my Dad's team)

Fulham - don't know why

I least like Chelsea, and Millwall.

Oh and I like Brighton to do well too, as well as the Gills (being from Kent).

lightweight
14-11-2001, 03:16 AM
Really no-one except Palace

but will look out for Sutton (local side), Brentford (especially since SC has gone there), Lazio (since Lombardo went there), Barcelona (red n blue & have been on the nou camp tour!), any club that's been in trouble since we were (e.g. Hull, Kingstonian etc) probably a few more but can't think

Pistike
14-11-2001, 03:37 AM
There are lots of clubs I dont dislike.

Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Sheffield United, Aston Villa, Northampton, Crewe & Manchester City to name just a few.

Equal numbers I can't abide however.

Brighton, West Ham, Chelsea, Brighton, Manchester United, Brighton, Ferencváros, Brighton & Brighton.

Sir.S.C Remembered
14-11-2001, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Bristol Rovers - not had a lot of luck recently. And I've never seen us play them!

Well said me too I look out for the "Gas"'s results. My bro lived down the road from their ground last year (hes a uni student) i only went to visit him once and made him go to the game, they lost to northampton but were all over em forrester on counter won it but since them ive had a soft spot 4 em.

Sir.S.C Remembered
14-11-2001, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 2000
Bromley, as that is where I'm from.

Apart from that, of the London teams I like:

West Ham (the colours, the football and so many connections with Palace over the years, a la Johnny Byrne)

Arsenal (my Dad's team)

Fulham - don't know why

I least like Chelsea, and Millwall.

Oh and I like Brighton to do well too, as well as the Gills (being from Kent).

I'm from Petts Wood (down da road from Bromley) n my mates look out for Bromley's results but I don't really and I'm from Kent and can't stand Gillingham, that part of Kent is pure pikey! The area's a tip the grounds a tip and the fans think they r a mix between millwall (think they r hard and people dont like em whereas most dont give 2 flying f_cks about gills) and tottenham (think they r a big club when not!) and WHY do u want Brighton to do well? That must be a wind up?!?!?

AnotherPete
14-11-2001, 03:56 AM
Great thread.

Arsenal, because we sold them Kenny Sanson when he was the only defender in the world Maradona couldn't take, and Ian Wright when we named him thrice. I remember standing on the North Bank in Palace colours for both their first home games shouting "Eagles . . ." and everyone around me joining in. That I am a 22 stone baboon I am sure had nothing to do with their love of our club.

hilairehair
14-11-2001, 04:02 AM
Banbury United cos I live there until I was 18.

Up The Puritans!

CPLA
14-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Torino

Come on the Toro

Vic Eagle
14-11-2001, 11:38 AM
I'm quite partial to Ŝor Akureyri from the far northern Icelandic soccer outpost of Akureyri.

Mainly due to a very memorable night in a (the?) Akureyri nightclub.:love:

Also the fact that I like the letter 'Ŝ' and, let's face it, you've got **** all chance of finding that letter in an English team's name.:hmph:

ruediger
14-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by nicky
St. Pauli

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ruediger
14-11-2001, 11:47 AM
100 % Crystal Palace FC since Oct 1973.

But I fancy my home town club VfB Lübeck (season ticket holder) and look out for results of Yeovil Town (green / white ) and Inverness Caledonian Thistle (spend a few wonderful days up there).

And I'd like to see Aldershot Town and Accrington Stanley climbing up a few tiers of the league pyramid....

Ruskin Old Boy
14-11-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Pistike
There are lots of clubs I dont dislike.

Equal numbers I can't abide however.

Brighton, West Ham, Chelsea, Brighton, Manchester United, Brighton, Ferencváros, Brighton & Brighton.

You missed Brighton and Hove Albion :)

MARKOFBLOCKB
14-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ruediger
100 % Crystal Palace FC since Oct 1973.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

:confused:

There is only one team in Scotland

We are Elgin super Elgin

AJ1969
14-11-2001, 02:46 PM
Pompey - southsea born of london blood

charltonhater
14-11-2001, 07:10 PM
I like Rotherham second best and I have ever since I saw the episode of Chuckevision in which Paul and Barry Chuckle end up playing for Rotherham United.

I also keep a look out for Partick Thistle's results as they are who my dad supported as a boy and the only non Palace match I've ever been to was when Partick Thistle played Arbroath earlier in the season.

charltonhater
14-11-2001, 07:15 PM
Oops I almost forgot. I also support Beckenham Town F.C.

East-End Eagle
14-11-2001, 07:16 PM
Genoa - Forza Rossoblu

Colchester United

Jimbo ?
14-11-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Yes, full of clots. ;)

Well, someone had to say it. :rolleyes:

Come on the Well!

The best jokes are not true!!!!!!

have fun in D1!!!!

Belly
15-11-2001, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by nicky
St. Pauli

staggered passed there ground on many occasions.

Pistike
15-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by AnotherPete
I remember standing on the North Bank in Palace colours for both their first home games shouting "Eagles . . ." and everyone around me joining in. That I am a 22 stone baboon I am sure had nothing to do with their love of our club.

are you serious anpete?

Rash the Smash
15-11-2001, 03:03 AM
My youngest son supports Everton and I have taken him to Goodison a couple of times a season since 94/95. I suppose I have become quite fond of them. I hate to see him upset when they lose. I always look for Queen of the Souths result and have looked out for Inter Milan since seeing them at Selhurst in the old Anglo Italian tournament c71.
Mere trivia compared to the delicious agony that is supporting Palace.

cappuccinoeagle
15-11-2001, 05:19 AM
Favourite teams:
Partick Thistle(Glasgow underdogs)Fiorentina(great place to visit)
Croydon(local side).
Fiorentina have followed Palace by going into administration.

mike
15-11-2001, 06:17 AM
Kilmarnock for me, all my old school mates supported a Scottish team as well as their London ones, they chose either Rangers or Celtic, me being the only Palace fan had to be different! I decided that Kilmarnock sold us Gerry Queen and that was that, my other soft spot goes to Aldershot, I lived in Guildford for a long time and, watched them many times, I also expect them to knock out Bristol Rovers on Saturday, come on you shots, Mike.

MARKOFBLOCKB
15-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Rash the Smash
I always look for Queen of the Souths result

Elton John??????????????????:p

Benzhiyi
15-11-2001, 03:34 PM
As I'm sure most people are well aware by now I am a Spurs fan who follows Palace too, but I look for loads of other scores as well! :rolleyes:

Exeter - where all my family are from, used to go and see them loads as a kid

Guingamp (France) - used to stay with a family out there who supported them

Celtic / Ayr (Scotland) - two clubs I started following as a kid just for the sake of it!!!!

Sutton Utd/ Carshalton - my local sides

Sad eh? Oh and obviously I always check to see that Arsenal and Millwall have lost!!!!

markholmes1991
15-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Sutton Utd/ Carshalton - my local sides

cool. Do you remember the legendary Jimmy Bolton down at Colston Avenue?

15-11-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Kingstonian - They are my local side.
Me too.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
13-12-2015, 03:20 PM
at the moment, Murray plays for Bournemouth so it was nice to see them beat Chelsea

beef
13-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Me too.

Me too.

Jim Cannon
13-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Is the right answer

Danny_Cheviot
13-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Farleigh Rovers............Get in!!

PALACEWU
13-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Forest Green Rovers (old local)

Bury

West Dorset Exi
13-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Bournemouth, as I lived there for 24 years.

ExiledStirling
13-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Bromley. Could not name a single player, but as a kid used to walk down to the ground to watch them every now and then, so they still have a small place in my heart.

For a brief while, back in the early '90s, I worked in Bristol, and took in quite a few Bristol City games and would go in their supporters club with a Bristol City mad mate. For about a year or so after I left, I would look out for their results and then started to forget to. Which has lasted till this day. Dont even know what division they are in. (same for Bromley if truth be told).

spt1978
13-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Fiorentina.

Kylie_Tracey
13-12-2015, 03:49 PM
just the non league teams where I've lived really when I lived in New Malden I went to Kingstonian for a couple of years, and now I look out for Carshalton Athletics results, my first wife was Spanish and have been to a couple of Valladolid games.

tasty_snacks
13-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Had brief flings with Croydon and Beckenham Town years ago.

Like to keep an eye on Exeter - saw quite a few of their matches whilst I was at uni.

Many moons ago I followed Wycombe, after listening to commentary of them destroy PL Coventry City in the second leg of a legue cup tie. As if supporting Palace wasn't enough plucky underdog for me. My Dad even took me along to one of their matches in the mid 90s. 1-1 with Blackpool. :D

It's Dulwich Hamlet for me now. Started goong regularly after moving to Peckham several years ago. Despite moving to Beckenham last year, I still consider them my local team - even though SP is probably closer! :eek:

13-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Used to go to the odd Dulwich Hamlet game many years ago back when growing up in London (plus the Palace friendlies), so interesting watching them from afar now on how well they doing.

Over here I look our for AGF Aarhus (in the top division SuperLiga) and local side Fremad Amager (League 3) as favoured teams.

hatter8142
13-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Pompey.

Worksop Palace
13-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Sheff U

chrisophiex
13-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Soft spot for my (now) local team ... York City

postman plod
13-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Stenhousemuir. The Barcelona of Scotland, Apart from the ground, and the playing staff.

Mad Max
13-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Harlow Town,go often as I live here,Hannover 96,nearest club to where I was born.

the drexciyan
13-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I want all the local teams to do well but really its Palace only for me - always has been, always will be.

Pat of the Palace
13-12-2015, 07:40 PM
My local team Lleida and Union Berlin. Great fans and atmosphere.

glenn.f
13-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Have a soft spot for Hartlepool thanks to my grandad who was from Seaton, mind their fans are some seriously obnoxious twats when you share a terrace with them. Also look out for Cambridge's results and will pop along to a home game if Palace aren't playing on the same day (just can't do it when a Palace game is on because I hate not knowing).

CarlosTheFinger
13-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Queen Vic FC. Apparently Wilf based his entire game on Robbie Jackson.

le1pxRtiy0Y

cranesparkeagle
14-12-2015, 01:23 AM
Kingstonian as my non league side

Breaking rocks
14-12-2015, 01:26 AM
A long, long time ago, I once sat next to a father and son who happily attended (season ticket holders) every Palace and Wimbledon match.

dweedman
14-12-2015, 01:50 AM
By long long time ago you imply pre-ground share?

dave_who_ru
14-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Arsenal for me.

When I was standing on the Holmesdale in the late 60s there used to be some Arsenal fans who turned up if Arsenal were away. I think they were Croydon based. In return I would watch a few Arsenal games. Having said that in those days I would pop down to Fulham if they were playing on a Friday night to watch a game or even watch Charlton on the odd Saturday. It was cheaper then!

I saw them win the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1970 when they beat Anderlecht 3-0 at Highbury to win the tie 4-3. Can you believe I turned up and paid on the gate.

I also saw them beat Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane in 1971 to win the League 5 days before they did the double by beating Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup Final.

If you thought it was crowded at the Burnley game you should have seen the scrum to get into White Hart Lane that night.

elgin eagle
14-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Pretty surprised to see my now home town team St Johnstone with 3 votes and not including Latvian Eagle either. Only Palace for me, although i have developed a soft spot for Dundee over the years due to the Speroni connection. Hopeful for a pre season friendly in July :)

Les Butler
14-12-2015, 09:10 AM
When I was a kid it was Villa (2nd team) mainly because we had the same kit and the history of said kit.

danpalace07
14-12-2015, 11:24 AM
**** em all

quite like FCUM though, now there's a club with a soul. Never found anything to dislike about Villa either

Terrace Bickle
14-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Pretty surprised to see my now home town team St Johnstone with 3 votes and not including Latvian Eagle either. Only Palace for me, although i have developed a soft spot for Dundee over the years due to the Speroni connection. Hopeful for a pre season friendly in July :)

My brother and I picked Scottish teams when we were kids. I took St Johnstone and he St Mirren, I can't remember the reasoning. Bizarrely I find myself checking the results even now.

IanH
14-12-2015, 12:33 PM
As a kid, Leeds were my second favourite team (they were the Liverpool/Man U of their day (70's)). I even went to see them play once - they were top of Division 1 at the time and favourites for the League and the FA Cup, but they got beaten at home in the Cup by some Third Division team ;)

stamford triumph
14-12-2015, 10:05 PM
I like Rotherham second best and I have ever since I saw the episode of Chuckevision in which Paul and Barry Chuckle end up playing for Rotherham United.

Me too although for more boring family reasons. Went to their first ever game at the New York Stadium after their wilderness years which meant we managed to avoid seeing us lose in the last minute to Watford the same day. Did quite enjoy seeing us beat Rotherham though a few years earlier sitting in the home stand with Tommy Black playing a blinder.

Far East Eagle
15-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Harchester United

Excowboy
15-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Tooting & Mitcham, Colliers Wood Utd.

tasty_snacks
15-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Tooting & Mitcham...

S.C.U.M :veryangry

:D