Ok,it's all over now

bad luck to Skid,Bunghole and Philaire

but Ozeaglehahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Banger
26-11-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
3-0 now :D

Morales scored 2 and silva scored the first one

Guess OZ eagle won't be here for a while:o Poor old Aussies. I have to admit I did fancy them to get through. Can't help but laugh though! Is big Tone involved at all?

sydney eagle
26-11-2001, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Banger
Is big Tone involved at all? Nah,he injured his foot again the other day

sydney eagle
26-11-2001, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Skid Row

**** you ****!!! now, now:vader: ....maybe if you got that fat lump Viduka to actually help out up front instead of Kewell doing everything things could of been different.

I'm gonna have fun at work today

Daniel_Nash
26-11-2001, 01:26 AM
I'd rather have Australia there than the thuggish Uruguay players.

I reckon that Dário Silva should have a drugs test, if he can get over a "dislocated shoulder" and be fit enough to play in only 3 or 4 days, then i'd be surprised! Especially as they thought he had chipped his collarbone.

Vic Eagle
26-11-2001, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
I'd rather have Australia there than the thuggish Uruguay players.

Yawn. Another tired old stereotype. I assume you weren't watching the match...I watched for Recoba, and noticed that he wasn't just a class player, he was also the model of sportsmanship. Uruguay won fair and square, based on some good football...although Morales' second goal obviously owed more to Australia pushing forward looking for what would for them have been a 'golden goal'...

ozzieEagle
26-11-2001, 02:58 AM
hmmm that may well have been the biggest disappointment, in my 38 years of following football.

damn its times like this that i wish football didnt exist !

oh well the carnival has left town, the ride was a bit longer this time
but not so bloody high. 3 years before it comes back again.

wouldnt it be nice if i had palace to turn to rite now lol.

stuff it bugger it, dammn i mite concentrate on fishing !

:hmph:

ozeagle
26-11-2001, 03:21 AM
thanks to all those I have liased with over the past year, I'm too devastated to go on..
and sydney eagle lick my balls, the worst thing about this is that we won't get to pump one past england...
go palace..
:confused:

Les Butler
26-11-2001, 03:30 AM
See you tomorrow ozeagle ;)
We need you to stick around this BBS to set us 'pommies' right ok cobber !

Iv'e been watching croc Dundee far too much :D

philaire
26-11-2001, 04:36 AM
Another wait of 4 more years. 4 more years to endure meaningless friendlies, and to see the media drop back to more "important" pursuits such as AFL, and those minority sports where we are dominant (cricket, rugby, league. Getting through today's game would have made the world of difference to the way the game is percieved here, but the mainstream media and many AFL-centric types here will unfairly regard the Socceroos as nearly men, if not chokers.

Australia wasn't good enough today. The first leg lead was marvellous to take into this game because it was as good as we were going to get against the opposition. The main hope today was to frustrate the opposition and hope their nerves got to them. Conceding a goal in the first 20 minutes cast the die. We were lucky not to be 2 or 3 down at the break. But Australia had its chances to snatch the goal it yearned for.

Uruguay deserved their win today and deserved to take the tie. Australia needed the dice to roll in their favour and it didn't.

So it's back to Palace for me. To be truthful I took very little interest in the Gillingham and Preston games. But I'll get back there I expect.

Daniel_Nash
26-11-2001, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Vic Eagle

Yawn. Another tired old stereotype. I assume you weren't watching the match...I watched for Recoba, and noticed that he wasn't just a class player, he was also the model of sportsmanship. Uruguay won fair and square, based on some good football...although Morales' second goal obviously owed more to Australia pushing forward looking for what would for them have been a 'golden goal'...

haha, i did watch the game actually. Haha.

Is Recoba still banned for illegal substance use in Italy? Sportsmanship.. Mmm. He is good though.

Don't you think i might have meant it as a stereotype? Maybe you think i am stupid.

Craig Brown used the stereotype in the programme, so i thought i'd repeat that. "They certainly know how to look after themselves" he said, he also said something along the lines of "Australia have to outplay them, because there would only be one winner in a physical battle".

I wanted Australia to go through, and maybe next time they will be able to go through by right. Not sure if it is fair the top Oceania team (which will usually be Australia) has to play the 5TH best South American side.

bunghole
26-11-2001, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by philaire
Another wait of 4 more years. 4 more years to endure meaningless friendlies, and to see the media drop back to more "important" pursuits such as AFL, and those minority sports where we are dominant (cricket, rugby, league. Getting through today's game would have made the world of difference to the way the game is percieved here, but the mainstream media and many AFL-centric types here will unfairly regard the Socceroos as nearly men, if not chokers.

Australia wasn't good enough today. The first leg lead was marvellous to take into this game because it was as good as we were going to get against the opposition. The main hope today was to frustrate the opposition and hope their nerves got to them. Conceding a goal in the first 20 minutes cast the die. We were lucky not to be 2 or 3 down at the break. But Australia had its chances to snatch the goal it yearned for.

Uruguay deserved their win today and deserved to take the tie. Australia needed the dice to roll in their favour and it didn't.

So it's back to Palace for me. To be truthful I took very little interest in the Gillingham and Preston games. But I'll get back there I expect.

Excellent posting Philaire. Agree 100% with everything you said.

Whilst most of the country down here will no doubt at some stage complain about our qualification path, whinge about some of Farina's tactics, point the finger at Viduka for not contributing much etc, the reality of Australia's failure to reach the World Cup finals can be summed up in four words - SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

First Essendon lose the Grand Final and now this!:grrr:

By the way Syd. The only consolation from this mornings loss is that us Aussie's can now look forward to executing our usual Plan B in terms of our World Cup involvement - death riding England.:D

philaire
26-11-2001, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by bunghole
SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.Agree with you bung. But Australia must press FIFA for a fairer qualifying route. As much as we take on the likes of Brazil and France in friendlies, we have nil preparation for the big clashes like today. Uruguay had 18 games - we get to warm up against American Samoa and the fast-fading Kiwis. The only solution is to put us back into Asia - but it ain't gonna happen.

With no automatic Asian qualifiers for 2006, Australia may play-off via that route - and get done by Iran again or something.:rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
26-11-2001, 06:31 AM
Nothing anyone can say will help you, but please understand that I was hoping for a win for Oz. :(

Still you can now concern yourselves with moaning about the lack of new players & money at Selhurst :(

sydney eagle
26-11-2001, 10:22 AM
look I really did want the Australians to qualify,but it was just so good being able to laugh at Oz after he went on and on about how brilliant the aussies were,I feel sorry for you guys going through this again,I do(especially the 3 I mentioned earlier,bung,philaire and skid(even though you called me a ****):D:D:D:D You guys are the real supporters and it's you I feel sorry for,so apologies for lumping you all in together.:)

Ruskin Old Boy
26-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Commiserations to the Palace/Aussie supporters: Uruguay is a class footballing nation and England would have stood more chance of beating Australia next year than Uruguay ;)

Shame about the consequences for football in Australia though. :(

Elephant with mouse gyp
26-11-2001, 01:51 PM

Whilst most of the country down here will no doubt at some stage complain about our qualification path, whinge about some of Farina's tactics, point the finger at Viduka for not contributing much etc, the reality of Australia's failure to reach the World Cup finals can be summed up in four words - SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Those tactics were faulty, though. I wanted Uruguay to win, as you may know, but not packing out the midfield was a cardinal error by your coach. Uruguay strode through the middle all through the match. I actually thought the Aussie defence did quite well given the protection in front of them.

Kewell, the best player on the pitch, was played too far wide. If he was going to play wide, maybe they should have switched him over to the right for a bit, as most of Uruguay's attacks were coming from there and his presence could have changed things. All Uruguay had to do was contain him, which was made easy for them, and then rely on the fact that their ordinary players were better than your ordinary players.

Still, four years down the line, Kewell will be even better and more of your players will have had European experience.

Daddy Long
26-11-2001, 01:57 PM
On the train this morning there was an Aussie, an Irish girl and an English bloke discussing football. The Irish girl was taking the piss out of the Aussie for not making the WC. "Well who did you have to play?" he asked. "We beat Iran" she replied. "Well thats not exactly hard is it?"

So I had stick my nose in to point out that Oz couldn't beat Iran 4 years ago either.;)

Steve C
26-11-2001, 02:00 PM
Bad luck on the Aussie,s I bet Rex Hunt is pulling out the last of his hair,but as for finishing top of your group you should get automatic quilification,how can a team that finished 5th go to JAPAN and group winner,s have to stay behind.

downunder eagle
26-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Congratulations to Uruguay. The better team won.

Can't help thinking that if the Aussie's did a better job in converting there opportunities into goals in Melbourne there might of been a different result today.

Aussie Eagle
26-11-2001, 02:09 PM
We were just not good enough. Okon and skoko are only starting as there is no alternative. I totally agree with the earlier post. People will continue to laugh at soccer and call it a 'poof sport' while Soccer Australia could easily go belly up. I read on the world game forum 2 years ago where a bloke said farina won't be able to take the expecation of the australian public, how right he was.
The current allocation of spots is ridiculous, can someone please explain why CONCANAF get 3 spaces!!!!!!! This is arguably the weakest confederation after oceania and they get 3 spaces.
And please SBS get the coverage back for the sake of the game!
GERMANY 2006 HERE WE COME! :confused:

sydney eagle
26-11-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Aussie Eagle
And please SBS get the coverage back for the sake of the game!
Oh good god YES channel 7 is the biggest load of Sh!te.They get a tennis commentator to run the show then have to listen to that deadsh!t Paul Wade for the 90 minutes :grrr:

Aussie Eagle
26-11-2001, 02:22 PM
It just shows you, SBS send 3 reporters to Uruguay and they weren't even broadcasting it, ch7 sent two.

The Omen
26-11-2001, 02:51 PM
I feel the World Cup should have at least one qualifier from every part of the world taking place. The loss of Australia means there will be no entry from the Oceania group - which is wrong.

Uruguay were the better team and they deserved to go through, but I'm sure Australia could handle a few of the other countries that have qualified from Asia and Africa.

Oh well, maybe next time guys! You can cheer on England now instead and at least the World Cup is being played in your time zone! :)

Aussie Eagle
26-11-2001, 02:58 PM
A positive for all aussie fans, i have just read SBS looks like it will be buying the remaining 48 games that ch9 isnt brodacasting

sydney eagle
26-11-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Aussie Eagle
A positive for all aussie fans, i have just read SBS looks like it will be buying the remaining 48 games that ch9 isnt brodacasting really? brilliant:D

Ian of Chatham
26-11-2001, 03:46 PM
I was laughing my head off when Uruguay scored their three goals, sorry to Philaire, Aussie Eagle, Skid Row, Vic Eagle etc but Ozeagle's constant bragging on here has driven me to it. Now you know that is ridiculous to assume that your side is the only one in the whole world who is improving as I have read in various threads. I must admit I would have preferred Australia to beat Uruguay and then see them get nailed to the bottom of their first round group and catch the very first plane home.

I have to say that Australia should get a better route to the World Cup rather than go into a lottery of playing the fourth best South American side. I reckon they should merge the Asian and Oceanic groups and get the weaker sides to play each other first then Australia and NZ should enter at the same stage as the stronger Asian sides, with at least four qualifying places available, five if possible. While they're at it they should merge the CONCACAF with the South American group as well, In both cases there might be the problem that the smaller and less richer countries who are used to playing neighbouring sides might not be able to afford to travel longer distances to play against countries further away but FIFA should be able to find a way round this.

Daniel_Nash
26-11-2001, 03:52 PM
Didn't Uruguay win the youth competition a few seasons back? that team was felt so good that they sent them to the Copa America in 99 (?), where they did not disgrace themselves.

Maybe this was not such a surprise.

Elephant with mouse gyp
26-11-2001, 03:55 PM
Why not just get rid of area based groupings altogether?

Years ago, fair enough, air travel was a whole different matter, but nowadays it's not really a problem. It would be just as easy for England, say, to fly to South America as it would be for them to fly to the likes of Armenia.

Countries with little money in their FA's coffers would get subbed by FIFA in this brave new world and I would plump for a knock out competition based on seedings until you reached the last 32, a system that would also cut down considerably on travel.

Come on, if bloody tennis can have world groups, surely football can?

bunghole
26-11-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
look I really did want the Australians to qualify,but it was just so good being able to laugh at Oz after he went on and on about how brilliant the aussies were,I feel sorry for you guys going through this again,I do(especially the 3 I mentioned earlier,bung,philaire and skid(even though you called me a ****):D:D:D:D You guys are the real supporters and it's you I feel sorry for,so apologies for lumping you all in together.:)

Thanks Syd, no need to apologise. :p

Sunny Fan
26-11-2001, 05:22 PM
First up, well done Uruguay, didn't see the game but it sounds like it was deserved, and being a Latin Americanist I'm happy to see them there. Sorry, Aussies.

But, the qualifying system does appear to be biased against Australia, particularly as they only have a competitive match against a half-decent team every four years. I think we can all agree on that, and reducing Concacaf may be an answer. However, I think that for the development of the game, Concacaf is right to have three places; a play-off against the third place for an Asian qualifier (with Aus and Oceania subsumed into a large Asian field) may be the answer, I don't know.

What I would like to know, and I don't know if anyone can answer this, is how long have Australia got before they can change their qualifying group? Is it too late already to 'move' to Asia for 2006, or can they start negotiations now. Anyone know how likely they'd be to succeed as well?

Men At Work
26-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
Anyone know how likely they'd be to succeed as well?

The main problem is that the Asian group can be quite competitive and none of the countries in that qualifying area are likely to vote to allow in another team who has a good chance of taking one of the available spots in the finals. Turkey / Christmas type of thing.

I'd even be happy to see Oz move into the South American group. It would be a lot harder to qualify but playing at a higer level would only be beneficial in the long term.

Oisin
26-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Australia can’t move to another group without the rest of the region going as well. Every team has to have a chance to qualify including Fiji.
Personally I think Australia are probably stronger than the third place Concaf team, Honduras, so it is a little unfair they aren’t there. Perhaps FIFA should look at Australia playing the third place in this group next time or the last place CONCAF team playing the last place south Americans with the losers facing the winner from Australasia.

Sunny Fan
26-11-2001, 06:25 PM
Honduras came 4th, behind US, Costa Rica and Mexico.
Improving, but not that good yet, despite the results in the Copa America

PalaceFan in Alabama
26-11-2001, 07:27 PM
I am sorry to say that 'nothing' will change, just look at the South Americans on the various boards of FIFA and then ask the question?
There are many countries in Europe with the same claim as Oz, but as it stands if you don't win, you don't go!
Who ever said life is fair:grrr:

Once again sorry you did not make it, but you would have struggled to get beyond the first round as will many other teams (USA for one):p

Rash the Smash
26-11-2001, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Omen
[B]I feel the World Cup should have at least one qualifier from every part of the world taking place. The loss of Australia means there will be no entry from the Oceania group - which is wrong.

What about a World Cup for the worlds best teams? How can you call it a tournament for the best teams in the world when (for example) Holland aren't there and the USA are. The opening round these days is strictly for novelty value.For me it doesn't start properly until the second stage.

Skid Row
27-11-2001, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by The Omen
You can cheer on England now instead and at least the World Cup is being played in your time zone! :)
Sorry guy, I'll be going for my second team now, the mighty Super Eagles of Nigeria.

They're so cool. :D

Vic Eagle
27-11-2001, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
I was laughing my head off when Uruguay scored their three goals, sorry to...Vic Eagle

No need to apologise to me Ian. I've only been in Australia for four years...actually I'm from Norbury.

Having said that, I think I'll be supporting Ireland over England in the finals.

philaire
27-11-2001, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
... but you would have struggled to get beyond the first round as will many other teams (USA for one):p Pfia, I simply dream of Australia getting knocked out in the first round. Geez, better to get there than opt out to save any embarassment of an early plane home. I'm old enough to vividly recall our first round demise in 1974 (0-2 E Germany, 0-3 W Germany, 0-0 Chile) and that was glorious!:)

bunghole
27-11-2001, 03:13 AM
Me too Philaire. I can still recall sitting in my loungeroom watching the likes of Muller, Beckenbauer and co matching it with the might of Atti Abonyi, Noddy Alston, Manfred Schaefer and co.

Although we didn't win a game we were stiff in the third game against Chile. That game finished 0-0 and we played all over them. Almost won it in the second half when one of our strikers (Abonyi I think) got clean through on goal, rounded the keeper and hit the bloody post!

Like you, to go out of the World Cup in the first round in straight sets is still a dream, but despite all the doom and gloom over the past day I'm sure we'll get there one day.:p

ozzieEagle
27-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Like you, to go out of the World Cup in the first round in straight sets is still a dream, but despite all the doom and gloom over the past day I'm sure we'll get there one day.:p

Totally agree with this last point bunghole :)

Australia ought to take a stand and refuse to play in the oceania group. The oceania group is totally worthless, and doing untold damage to Australian football. I wouldnt care what group Australia was in as long as they had some decent competition.

With the local competion now totally directionless, perhaps
its time to take stock, Whats needed beyond all else is real overseas
competion for the local clubs.
The nsl champions and maybe runners up need to play in asia or south america, in their local champions cup competion. That in my opinion is the only way there will be any real interest generated here. (even
if it means playing both legs away to get australian involvement).

Figured out why i was so despondant after the loss, its now back
to 3 + years in the wilderness, with the only lifeline to real football
being a poxy stuttering internet link at 2am or 7am in the bleeding morning, After 1 game of true excitment at the mcg it really doesnt
seem worthwhile getting fired up to cop this level of disappointment.

i kinda understand why divorced blokes say, they will never be
interested again in another woman.

i am truly truly gutted

:(

philaire
27-11-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Figured out why i was so despondant after the loss, its now back
to 3 + years in the wilderness, with the only lifeline to real football
being a poxy stuttering internet link at 2am or 7am in the bleeding morning, After 1 game of true excitment at the mcg it really doesnt
seem worthwhile getting fired up to cop this level of disappointment.i am truly truly gutted :( ozzie, I think you've captured very well what so many Aussies, myself included, are going through right now. If there was a chance for earlier redemption, it wouldnt be as bad - but there isn't - just another long, painful wait for another chance.