PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Draw.......

paf
30-11-2001, 03:48 PM
These are the rules for the draw.................... not in the least bit complicated........... honest.

---------------

Final Draw procedure
© FIFA.com

Meeting on 28 November in Busan, the Organising Committee for the 2002 FIFA World Cup decided on the procedure according to which the Final Draw on 1 December will be done.

Geographical condition
A: According to FIFA's principle, teams from the same confederation shall not be placed in the same group (A - H) as far as possible. The only exception to this rule is that a maximum of 2 teams from UEFA may be drawn into the same group, due to the higher number of teams from Europe.

B: The co-hosting situation (groups A to D in Korea, groups E to H in Japan) will be taken into account when placing the teams into the respective groups by ensuring that there is a balance of each confederations' teams in Korea and Japan.

Allocation of Pots

The top 8 seeded teams are France (Cup-holder), Korea (co-host), Japan (co-host), Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Spain. According to the decision of the FIFA Organising Committee for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, France has already been appointed as top-seeded team A1, Korea as D1 and Japan as H1.

The remaining 24 teams will be distributed into Pots 2, 3 and 4 as follows:

* Pot 2: 11 UEFA teams (Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, England, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey)
* Pot 3: 3 CONMEBOL teams, 2 AFC teams (total of 5 teams: Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, China PR, Saudi Arabia)
* Pot 4 : 5 CAF teams and 3 CONCACAF teams (total of 8 teams: Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tunisia, Costa Rica, México, USA).

Pots for the group positions:

* Pot A: positions A2, A3, A4
* Pot B: positions B2, B3, B4
* Pot C: positions C2, C3, C4
* Pot D: positions D2, D3, D4
* Pot E: positions E2, E3, E4
* Pot F: positions F2, F3, F4
* Pot G: positions G2, G3, G4
* Pot H: positions H2, H3, H4

Special pots:

Pot i: Brazil, Argentina, Korea and Japan (non-UEFA seeded teams)

1. According to the match schedule, France, as title holder, will be seeded as A1, Korea Republic as D1 and Japan as H1.

2. The other five seeded teams will be drawn from Pot 1 and placed in the top position of groups A to H from left to right, ensuring that 1 CONMEBOL team is allocated to Korea and to Japan respectively.

3. As each team is drawn from the next pots, Pots 2, 3 and 4, a number will be drawn (A2, A3, A4 to H2 H3, H4) out of Pots A to H to determine the teams? position in the group.

4. Pot 2, containing the UEFA teams, will be drawn with the first 8 teams immediately being placed into Groups A to H, from left to right.

5. The remaining 3 teams from Pot 2 will then be drawn and placed in the groups according to a separate draw ensuring that these remaining teams are not placed in a group already containing 2 UEFA teams. This is done by drawing a name out of the separate Pot i, with the seeded non-UEFA teams (Korea, Japan, Brazil, Argentina). The UEFA teams are then placed in the groups with the non-UEFA teams thus drawn, avoiding more than two UEFA teams being allocated to either Korea or Japan.

6. Pot 3, containing the 3 CONMEBOL and 2 AFC teams will then be drawn, ensuring that at least 1 CONMEBOL team and at least one AFC team are allocated to Korea and Japan respectively.

7. Pot 4, containing the 5 CAF teams and 3 CONCACAF teams will then be drawn, and the teams will be placed in position starting with Group A and finishing with Group H. It must be ensured that at least 2 CAF teams and 1 CONCACAF team are allocated to Korea and Japan respectively.

Kevin T
30-11-2001, 03:50 PM
Er.... I think I'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow

Sunny Fan
30-11-2001, 04:11 PM
Looks potty :moo:

Rash the Smash
30-11-2001, 04:29 PM
Not that it's a fiddle or anything.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
01-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Just watched the first hour.

With all the speeches and songs, I'm surprised the BBC commentator wasn't Terry Wogan, as it was about as interesting as the Eurovision Song Contest. ;)

Didn't even sing Red'N'Blue Army! :(

Little Matt
01-12-2001, 03:22 PM
England in Argentina's group...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

sydney eagle
01-12-2001, 03:24 PM
sweden too:eek:

davematt
01-12-2001, 03:42 PM
4th team is Nigeria.

sydney eagle
01-12-2001, 03:43 PM
oh well,gotta beat the best to be the best

Bring on the Argies :p

E.X Moontoad
01-12-2001, 03:44 PM
And Nigeria!!
Already been dubbed the 'group of death' on Wrighty and Brighty's show!:rolleyes:

davematt
01-12-2001, 03:44 PM
Argentina
Nigeria
England
Sweden

It's good to see we've got an easy group!!!!!!

Jaffa
01-12-2001, 03:45 PM
Well, England in the group of death.

Shouldnt worry about missing too many games then.

Spain and Brazil get their customary easy passages.

winners
01-12-2001, 03:46 PM
YOU CANT TELL ME THATS NOT FIXED!!!, LOOK AT KOREA, AND JAPANS GROUP!!!

winners
01-12-2001, 03:47 PM
Just to add more spice to the England group of death, if we come second, we play the team that tops France's group - ideal!!!!!!

Calder
01-12-2001, 03:48 PM
Calder's reaction to the group... o joys. Well I didn't want to get up that early anyway! :rolleyes: . My brother predicted that we would get Argies and Nigeria. Talk about fate.

sydney eagle
01-12-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Well, England in the group of death.

Spain and Brazil get their customary easy passages. too right Jaffa,Spain really p!ss me off ,they always get an easy group...always

look at Frances group too

Maidstoned Eagle
01-12-2001, 03:52 PM
I'll probably get shouted down for this but here goes......THE WHOLE THING IS FIXED! Look at Brazils group for example, Turkey, China and Costa Rica! Thats really fair!
France get Senegal!, Uruguay and Denmark I wonder who will come second in that one?
Spain (those constant underachievers) get the Slovenians, Paraguay and South Africa.

Its all a bloody con!:grrr:

Belly
01-12-2001, 03:52 PM
Another ****ed up summer,back home after 2 weeks.

Trolley
01-12-2001, 03:56 PM
Goodness gracious me - I did not realise that it was on the television at this time.I have missed it which is a tad disappointing.

AddiscombeEagle
01-12-2001, 03:59 PM
Fix, always a con with FIFA, Japan get the easiest ride possible. Unbelievable, who cares, bring them on, lets have the Argies, the Swedes are not that good and Nigeria, anyone can handle Kanu

Easy Group no problems

Yeah, who am I trying to kid.

RichieG
01-12-2001, 04:00 PM
By my rough calculations, if we come second in our Group (which lets face it is the best to hope for) we will then face France, followed by Brazil, Followed by the Argies again!

Nice draw!

Daniel_Nash
01-12-2001, 04:30 PM
Blatently it is a bit dodgy. Urgh! But isn't it always?

The BBC piss me off, as soon as the draw is made they go to talk to Svennis and give this negative approach.

"England haven't beaten Sweden since...."
"Remember what happened 4 yrs ago vs Argentina..." (yes, we nearly beat them with 10 men??)
"OOh Nigeria, isn't it? jumpers for goalposts..." etc

How about saying "Go on, the country is behind you. We can qualify. This can be England's time". Sums up this country's whole attitude... don't praise yourself because you don't want to seem arrogant. **** arrogance, let's build our confidence up.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!

sydney eagle
01-12-2001, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Blatently it is a bit dodgy. Urgh! But isn't it always?

The BBC piss me off, as soon as the draw is made they go to talk to Svennis and give this negative approach.

"England haven't beaten Sweden since...."
"Remember what happened 4 yrs ago vs Argentina..." (yes, we nearly beat them with 10 men??)
"OOh Nigeria, isn't it? jumpers for goalposts..." etc

How about saying "Go on, the country is behind you. We can qualify. This can be England's time". Sums up this country's whole attitude... don't praise yourself because you don't want to seem arrogant. **** arrogance, let's build our confidence up.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!! good man Daniel....come on ENGLAND

Little Matt
01-12-2001, 05:18 PM
I think second place is a realistic target, and first would be great.

BuffloSoldier
01-12-2001, 05:23 PM
Across the pond, we got a fair draw. It won't be easy to advance (for us), but we'll need results against Korea and Poland, and to keep things not-so-bloody v. Portugal. :eek:

The Omen
01-12-2001, 06:20 PM
Hey thats not the only problem!! I'm going to Japan and the bloody destinations are awful!!

The first game is in Saitama which is just above the middle of Japan, then I'm off to Sapporo which is on an Island at the top of Japan and then I'm going back down towards the south to Osaka!! :eek:

Booking my flight next week.....

Les Butler
01-12-2001, 06:57 PM
It's called the World cup and if we have to beat the best to win it what the hell ! Then you can say we are true World champs ,whats the point otherwise ?

Engerland !

Steve in Phoenix
01-12-2001, 07:30 PM
As soon as I saw Argentina - Nigeria.. I knew we would be in that group. :grrr: Coming on here and finding out France would be our next game should we finish second does not improve my mood. I guess if we get through this little lot we should be earning seeding berths. Spain's and Brazil's groups are turkey shoots. I dont think Korea's group was fixed (except maybe through playing a numbers game) - they got Portugal who are the strongest Pot 2 team they could have gotten. Poland are extremely dangerous.. thats an interesting group.. not like Japan's at all. Germany's is pretty easy too.

Daniel_Nash
01-12-2001, 08:34 PM
Is it true that America asked for them not to be in the same group as China? and China not be in the same group as Korea?

Maybe England should have asked not to be in the same group as Argentina or France or anyone else who might have been a bit tricky.

:rolleyes: :grrr: :hmph:

Skid Row
02-12-2001, 03:59 AM
I cant believe how rigged the draw is. How the hell the mighty Nigerians got drawn in the same group as Sweden, England and Argentina just proves that it's rigged.

I swear that Fifa have something against Nigeria and are trying to get rid of them in the first round.

If you really think that Fifa fix the draw then you've got problems. Granted the group is fricken unbelievable but if you guys play to your best then you'll beat those teams, except Nigeria of course.

:D

Daniel_Nash
02-12-2001, 05:04 AM
Continued from my earlier post, i have proof now.

Are we already out of the World Cup or something? Oh no, wait, it hasn't even begun yet.

The Times: "All we have to fear is fear itself. And Argentina".

The Guardian: "Oh dear. Sven's men draw Argentina, Sweden and Nigeria. Ireland face Germany. We're coming home, we're coming home..."

From Sunday December 2nd's paper. Not mid-June's paper... DECEMBER.

*into rant mode*

Why can't this country support it's representatives instead of making barriers to break or to have come falling down when things don't go right.

Say, for example, the players read these reports of how they are already beaten and there is no point even going because you're gonna lose and come home like Scotland always seem to do (sorry :(). IF you were a player who has read this, would it put a doubt in your mind of your ability to win? or would it spur you on?

Personally, it would spur me on to be able to turn round and say "Eat ****! Look what we did, thanks for the support you gave beforehand. :rolleyes:"

But if you get this ALL the time, you'd start believing it yourself. Does work for positive comments as well, such as Albania and Finland are nothing, we can beat them no problem... but Germany away, ooh, impossible.

The media build up our players when we are winning to the point that you can't escape it and there is a level of expectation so high the players feel it on the pitch. When they slip up the crowd and media come crashing down on them, boos, whistles, abusive chants, negative press. Sort it out. It's the same person they were praising the week before.

At the Chelsea/Blackburn game i was at the other week, the Chelsea fans were so expectant of an easy win that they were so loud in their abuse when the top stars failed to perform. Hearing "Booo!! You're f-ing *****" from every corner of the ground is sometimes too big an obstacle to step over, and you end up like Hasselbaink who, until today, was unable to "buy a goal".

Why can't this country accept or give out praise easily? Hm?

Who cares who is in the group, you can't win the World Cup by playing crappy teams all the way though. If it has to be Sweden, Argentina, Nigeria, France/Denmark, Spain, italy, Brazil.. so what, it has to be.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/00007989-AA9E-1BCE-810580BFB6FA0799.jpg

Gark Moldberg
02-12-2001, 02:43 PM
Mr Nash, as a non englishman living in England it is a huge relief for once that the press are playing down England's chances. Take a look at the last few competitions that England made it to. The press were asking why the other teams were even bothering to turn up. They took this tone at the last european championships when it was plain that the team that was going were extremely poor.

You can be rest assured that by the time the world cup comes around, the Sun will be predicting victory, producing some form of bizarre item to spur the team onto victory (e.g. the prayer mat with dorred lines marked put feet here, put pint here etc.)

Hope you enjoy the tournament.

selhurstparkflyer
02-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
As soon as I saw Argentina - Nigeria.. I knew we would be in that group. :grrr: Coming on here and finding out France would be our next game should we finish second does not improve my mood.

I think we have equal chance of finishing first, second, thrid or fourth in this group. If we win it, then the route to the final is very 'doable' and we can have no compliants.
It is very difficult but, as a fan, at least we have 3 top games to watch.

Our best cahnce of glory is in 2006 anyway so we can use this as a fantastic experience for our (very young) squad and, if we do well, then excellent.

Celestial Empire
02-12-2001, 07:07 PM
Daniel, as a long-time contributor to this BBS, surely you must be familiar with this attitude - it's dead Palace !
:rolleyes:

zonin2000
02-12-2001, 07:51 PM
we have as much chance of winning the cup as finishing bottom of our group.

sweden vs. england takes on huge importance:

could be:
sweden 2-1 england
a demoralised english team then lose 2-0 to the argies, before nigeria win the meaningless '3rd in the group' game 1-0.

or

sweden 1-2 england
a result which spurs england on to produce a fantastic performance against argentina, although it ends in a 2-2 draw. however, england thrash an already-out nigeria 4-0 to take the group on goal difference.

in the second round england scrape past uruguay, 1-0. then in the quaters it's turkey, who get the stuffing knocked out of them (:o), 2-0. then we're in the semis and i don't know who we play.. probably germany.. owen hargreaves scores the winner ;).

it all ends in tears however, when tottenham's clinton morrison scores a brace for 'lucky old ireland' to win himself the golden boot, and his country the world cup :grrr:.

Eagle of the East
02-12-2001, 10:45 PM
OK, so anyone gonna post the full draw?

go on you know you want to

zonin2000
03-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East
OK, so anyone gonna post the full draw?

go on you know you want to

The full World Cup groups:

Group A: France, Senegal, Uruguay, Denmark.

Group B: Spain, Slovenia, Paraguay, South Africa.

Group C: Brazil, Turkey, China, Costa Rica.

Group D: South Korea, Poland, United States, Portugal.

Group E: Germany, Saudi Arabia, Republic of Ireland, Cameroon.

Group F: Argentina, Nigeria, England, Sweden.

Group G: Italy, Ecuador, Croatia, Mexico.

Group H: Japan, Belgium, Russia, Tunisia.

Full World Cup fixture list:

Group A (Korea)
France v Senegal (Seoul, May 31, 12.30)
Uruguay v Denmark (Ulsan, June 1, 10.00)
France v Uruguay (Busan, June 6, 07.30)
Denmark v Senegal (Daegu, June 6, 12.30)
Senegal v Uruguay (Suwon, June 11, 07.30)
Denmark v France (Incheon June 11, 07.30)

Group B (Korea)
Paraguay v South Africa (Busan June 2, 08.30)
Spain v Slovenia (Gwangju June 2, 12.30)
Spain v Paraguay (Jeonju, June 7, 10.00)
South Africa v Slovenia (Daegu, June 8, 07.30)
South Africa v Spain (Daejeon, June 12, 12.30)
Slovenia v Paraguay (Seogwipo June 12, 12.30)

Group C (Korea)
Brazil v Turkey (Ulsan June 3, 10.00)
China v Costa Rica (Gwangju, June 3, 07.30)
Brazil v China (Seogwipo, June 8, 12.30)
Costa Rica v Turkey (Incheon, June 9, 10.00)
Costa Rica v Brazil (Suwon, June 13, 07.30)
Turkey v China (Seoul, June 13, 07.30)

Group D (Korea)
South Korea v Poland (Busan, June 4, 12.30)
USA v Portugal (Suwon, June 5, 10.00)
South Korea v USA (Daegu, June 10, 07.30)
Portugal v Poland (Jeonju, June 10, 12.30)
Poland v USA (Daejeon, June 14, 12.30)
Portugal v South Korea (Incheon, June 14, 12.30)

Group E (Japan)
Rep of Ireland v Cameroon (Niigata, June 1, 07.30)
Germany v Saudi Arabia (Sapporo, June 1, 12.30)
Germany v Rep of Ireland (Ibaraki, June 5, 12.30)
Cameroon v Saudi Arabia (Saitama, June 6, 10.00)
Saudi Arabia v Rep of Ireland (Shizuoka, June 11, 12.30)
Cameroon v Germany (Shizuoka, June 11, 12.30)

Group F (Japan)
England v Sweden (Saitama, June 2, 06.30)
Argentina v Nigeria (Ibaraki, June 2, 10.30)
Sweden v Nigeria (Kobe, June 7, 07.30)
Argentina v England (Sapporo, June 7, 12.30)
Sweden v Argentina (Miyagi, June 12, 07.30)
Nigeria v England (Osaka, June 12, 07.30)

Group G (Japan)
Croatia v Mexico (Niigata, June 3, 07.30)
Italy v Ecuador (Sapporo, June 3, 12.30)
Italy v Croatia (Ibaraki, June 8, 10.00)
Mexico v Ecuador (Miyagi, June 9, 07.30)
Ecuador v Croatia (Yokohama, June 13, 12.30)
Mexico v Italy (Oita, June 13, 12.30)

Group H (Japan)
Japan v Belgium (Saitama, June 4, 10.00)
Russia v Tunisia (Kobe, June 5, 07.30)
Japan v Russia (Yokohama, June 9, 12.30)
Tunisia v Belgium (Oita, June 10, 10.00)
Belgium v Russia (Shizuoka, June 14, 15.30)
Tunisia v Japan (Osaka, June 14, 07.30)

Second Round
1 - Winner of Group E v Runner-up Group B (Seogwipo, June 15, 07.30)
2 - Winner of Group A v Runner-up of Group F (Niigata, June 15, 12.30)
3 - Winner of Group F v Runner-up of Group A (Oita, June 16, 07.30)
4 - Winner of Group B v Runner-up of Group E (Suwon, June 16, 12.30)
5 - Winner of Group G v Runner-up Group D (Jeonju, June 17, 07.30)
6 - Winner of Group C v Runner-up of Group H (Kobe, June 17, 12.30)
7 - Winner of Group H v Runner-up of Group C (Miyagi, June 18, 07.30)
8 - Winner of Group D v Runner-up of Group G (Daejeon, June 18, 12.30)

Quarter-Finals
1 - Winner of Match 2 v Winner of Match 6 (Shizuoka, June 21, 07.30)
2 - Winner of Match 1 v Winner of Match 5 (Ulsan, June 21, 12.30)
3 - Winner of Match 4 v Winner of Match 8 (Gwangju, June 22, 07.30)
4 - Winner of Match 3 v Winner of Match 7 (Osaka, June 22, 12.30)

Semi-Finals
Winner of Quarter-final 2 v Winner of Quarter-final 3 (Seoul, June 25, 12.30)
Winner of Quarter-final 4 v Winner of Quarter-final 1 (Saitama, June 26, 12.30)

Third/Fourth Place Play-Off
Loser of Semi-final 1 v Loser of Semi-final 2 (Daegu, June 29, 12.00)

Final
Winner of Semi-final 1 v Winner of Semi-final 2 (Yokohama, June 30, 12.00)

Ian of Chatham
03-12-2001, 02:05 AM
I watched the draw yesterday and know that some elements were fixed, but this had nothing to do with England, Argentina, Nigeria and Sweden being in the same group.

Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Is it true that America asked for them not to be in the same group as China? and China not be in the same group as Korea?

Maybe England should have asked not to be in the same group as Argentina or France or anyone else who might have been a bit tricky.

:rolleyes: :grrr: :hmph:

Daniel has mentioned one of the possible problems that the organisers faced when making the draw. Once China's name got pulled out then when they went to pull out one of the teams from the pool with the African and Concacf countries who would join that group they mentioned something about not wanting to upset some of the "North American countries " or something.

Alongside thegeneral restrictions which goverened the drawing of the groups, i.e there should be now more than two European teams in any one group, I also heard before the draw even started one of the organisers mentioned that China should play all their games in Korea, that must be to do with the long-standing political relationship between themselves and Japan.

Before the draw of the seeded teams it was also mentioned that Brazil should be drawn into a group who plays their matches in Japan because apparantly there is a sizeable Brazillian community in Japan (I never knew this) but they failed and Brazil ended up drawn to play in Korea instead.

I also agree with Daniel about one thing though, we should stop moaning about the group being fixed against England and get on with it.

pallet
03-12-2001, 02:40 AM
I wtached the draw and could see it coming that we would end up in a bllody hard group, however this could work in our favour. Firstly it is probaly best to play Sweden, Agry etc in the early stages before they get going and playing stronger, also if we win this group our condifence wil be sky high. My final point is that you cannot win the world cup by playing easy games . LETS GET IT ON!!!

Steve in Phoenix
03-12-2001, 05:20 AM
I completely agree that to be the best, you have to beat the best. But even if we were the best, I couldnt see us making it. Teams like Germany, Spain and Brazil have pretty easy routes to the last eight yet England will have to play Sweden, Argentina, Nigeria, France - just to get there (then probably Brazil and Portugal next two rounds?). The emotional and physical highs and lows of playing those games surely will drain us to a major extent.

It would be interesting to see the teams all the past winners had to play to win the Cup. Maybe I'm wrong and a team has played an equally tough draw of teams from game one to winning the final.

The Omen
03-12-2001, 03:21 PM
IMO, world football has improved everywhere recently and I don't think there is any group that could be considered easy. Teams like Japan, China etc are easily capable of pulling off an upset.

Nigeria arnt the team they used to be. Senegal and Cameroon are both stronger going into the tournament. Sadly, I do see this group setting us up for the brave exit that we normally go out on. I reckon a draw against Sweden, a draw against Argentina and then a win against Nigeria and we will be through, but then a brilliant performance sees us go out to France on penalties. France then go on to retain the World Cup and send us home as respectable losers aka. Argentina, World Cup 98....

Celestial Empire
03-12-2001, 05:47 PM
You plonkers really have a problem don't you ?
Get down and see your shrink !

If Owen, Beckham & Gerrard stay injury free, and Campbell finds some form (or Sven puts Ledley King in instead), we have a good chance.
If Owen is injured, who will score ?

Strathclyde Eagle
03-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Am I right to think that the stadium in Sapporo, where we're playing Argentina, is an indoor stadium? It certainly appears to be so from the pictures of it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1675000/images/_1679118_sapporo150.jpg.jpg

Only seats 42,000 as well. That will really manage to accomodate everyone who wants to see it, not!

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-12-2001, 06:06 PM
It is a hard draw for England but a few points have been overlooked.

1. You shouldn't compare England's position with the likes of Spain, France, Italy and Germany. They were top seeds; England were not, so were almost bound to have a harder group. If it wasn't Argentina, it could have one of those or Brasil.

2. Two teams go through, so it can't really be called the group of death. Even if all the four teams were exactly equal, England would have a 50/50 shot. As England are by most people's reckoning, a (small) cut above Sweden and Nigeria, the chances are considerably higher.

3. England's problems will stem more from the dependency of the team on Owen and Beckham, and the poor defence, than on the draw. To me, the England squad is, like Palace's, pretty thin.

Eagle of the East
03-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Am I right to think that the stadium in Sapporo, where we're playing Argentina, is an indoor stadium? It certainly appears to be so from the pictures of it:

Only seats 42,000 as well. That will really manage to accomodate everyone who wants to see it, not!

What the hell is that alien spaceship hovering high above the pitch??!:eek: :eek: :eek:

El Aguila
03-12-2001, 06:18 PM
Talking it over with my Argentinian mate in the office, I reckon whoever comes second in our group is going to be scuppered. Argentina vs. England is bound to take it out of both teams and the same applies to the matches with Sweden and Nigeria. All four teams will finish the group very tired and, whilst the winners will probably come up against Uruguay, Senegal or Denmark in the next round (on paper winnable for any of the four teams), France would probably be a bridge too far after such an emotionally and physically challenging group. A bad draw for all four of us!

Strathclyde Eagle
03-12-2001, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of the East

What the hell is that alien spaceship hovering high above the pitch??!:eek: :eek: :eek:

No, that is the stadium! It seems like they keep the pitch outside to make sure it gets natural sunlight and rainwater, then bring it inside for actual events.

Steve in Phoenix
03-12-2001, 07:53 PM
I thought they were increasing security by putting a moat around the pitch...

Its definitely a winner-takes-all group. Could easily turn out that one team draws all three games and the other three get 1-1-1 records tying them all on 4 points while the undefeated team goes home.

Nigeria might not be that good (WR30), but they are easily the most experienced in the World Cup and carry the mantle for Africa. Im sure they will raise their game. They still have more talent than Senegal or Cameroon. Incidentially the Senegal-France game will be interesting.. hasnt France poached several players from there?

The Omen
03-12-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Yeah, its an indoor stadium. The pitch is rolled in on a blanket of air, the stands move aside and move back again after the procedure is finsihed - it all takes around 2 hours, but is supposed to be great to watch.

42,000 might actually not be too bad. The stadium is the worse stadium to play in, due to the distance it is from everything else. It is situated on the island in the North of Japan. Supposedly, it is easy to get a flight from Tokyo to there though.

The climate in Sapporo is also supposed to be a bit cooler than anywhere else. The weather is one thing that nobody has mentioned, if it is anything like the USA was, then maybe Nigeria and Argentina will be favourites in the group.

Steve in Phoenix
03-12-2001, 08:22 PM
I dont reckon the weather will be that significant since most of Nigeria's and Argentina's players play club football in Europe as well.

The Omen
03-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
I dont reckon the weather will be that significant since most of Nigeria's and Argentina's players play club football in Europe as well.

true, true, very true..... :)

Eagle of the East
03-12-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by The Omen

The weather is one thing that nobody has mentioned, if it is anything like the USA was, then maybe Nigeria and Argentina will be favourites in the group.

Climate in Japan

Except for the Hokkaido area and the subtropical Okinawa region, the weather is mostly temperate, with four seasons. Winters are cool and sunny in the south, cold and sunny around Tokyo (which occasionally has snow), and very cold around Hokkaido, which is covered in snow for up to four months a year. Summer, between June and September, ranges from warm to very hot, while spring and autumn are generally mild throughout the country. Rain falls throughout the year but June and early July is the main rainy season. Hokkaido, however, is much drier than the Tokyo area. Rainfall is intermittent with sunshine. Typhoons are only likely to occur in September or October but rarely last more than a day.

Required clothing: Lightweight cottons and linens are required throughout summer in most areas. There is much less rainfall than in Western Europe. Light- to mediumweights during spring and autumn; medium- to heavyweights for winter months, according to region. Much warmer clothes will be needed in the mountains all year round.

Jonboy
03-12-2001, 09:14 PM
I think its safe to say that for central and southern Japan its ******* hot, ******* humid and ******* rainy in June. Sapporo will be the very best place to be.

philaire
04-12-2001, 08:50 AM
Statistically, England's is the most difficult group ... just. I've used the current FIFA rankings (controversial, but you have to start somewhere), and they shape up this way, with the toughest groups at the top

Group F: Argentina(2), Nigeria(40), England(10), Sweden(16) - total 68 Group G: Italy(6), Ecuador(37), Croatia(19), Mexico(9) - 71
Group B: Spain(7), Slovenia(27), Paraguay(14), South Africa(34) - 82
Group E: Germany(11), Saudi Arabia(30), Ireland(18), Cameroon(38) - 97
Group D: S Korea(43), Poland(33), United States(20), Portugal(4) -100
Group H: Japan(35), Belgium(20), Russia(22), Tunisia(28) - 105
Group A: France(1), Senegal(67), Uruguay(24), Denmark(17) - 109
Group C: Brazil(3), Turkey(23), China(55), Costa Rica(31) - 112

PeterH
05-12-2001, 12:22 AM
I agree with Mainstoned, I think its fixed and our representatives at FIFA should have done something to stop this. It is not up to Japan to decide they don´t want to play China and how come two of the seed berths have gone to the double hosts thats a bit extravagant.

Ireland perhaps deserve their luck following their great qualification, but lets not get all twee in the media about supporting them. I can assure you the vast vast majority of Irish didn´t want us to qualify, so feck em. I couldn´t give a toss whether Morrisson plays for them as he will not be a Palace player by then anyway.

Germany have got it lucky though. I thought we beat them 5-1 in their country and topped that group. But I was in the US so may have got that wrong.

Still we are there, and under Keegan that was unlikely. The Scots, The Aussies and the Dutch would love to be in our position. Sven will relish playing Sweden, Argentina are a nemesis that need to be put to bed like Germany, and Nigeria are the dark horses (no pun intended).

To be the best you have to beat the best. Come on England. :)