PDA

View Full Version : Bowyer, Woodgate - Jury consider verdict - Bowyer transfer listed

joshr
10-12-2001, 07:22 PM
Well, it seems as if this trial has been going forever, but at last the jury has been sent out AGAIN to consider the verdicts.

I have not listened to the evidence as intently as I did last time, but from what I can see, there does not seem to be much difference, apart from the fact that Michael Duberry had tidied his evience up a bit.

My prediction is Woodgate will get 12 months and Bowyer will get 6 suspended.

brb rule
10-12-2001, 08:00 PM
Another waste of tax payers money. What does a fine mean 2 them.

James TaylorNye
10-12-2001, 08:05 PM
Burn them! :o

East-End Eagle
10-12-2001, 08:14 PM
For some reaons the case against seemed remarkably weaker than the first trial, I think they will get off.

Reps AJ
10-12-2001, 08:30 PM
The general consensus up here (Leeds) is that it was probably more Woodgate and his mates, but Bowyer was about. I'd expect that Woodgate would get the heavier sentence, but they've both got form so I think they're both going down

DE - Glad All Over
10-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Based on the available evidence to us I have a horrible feeling that they will get away with it, even though I suspect at least one is guilty.

PeterH
10-12-2001, 10:11 PM
Ditto.

The Omen
11-12-2001, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
The general consensus up here (Leeds) is that it was probably more Woodgate and his mates, but Bowyer was about. I'd expect that Woodgate would get the heavier sentence, but they've both got form so I think they're both going down

My mate from Leeds said the same, except he thinks only Woodgate and his mates will go down, Bowyer will be let off.

Ruskin Old Boy
11-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Will the jury hold up red and yellow cards?

Steven Baxter.
14-12-2001, 04:49 AM
I am itching to say something about this but I think it can wait until the jury has delivered its verdict.

:grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
14-12-2001, 04:56 AM
Based on past events on and off the pitch I have come to the conclusion that s**t won't stick to Bowyer... but I still hope he gets exposed as the evil ringleader he is and is banged up for maximum term ;) . It will be interesting to see what the Leeds board and management team have to say about them... but only if they are found guilty - otherwise I can guess the sanctimonious tripe.

PS: *how* did Duberry not face perjury charges????!!!! Oh I forgot someone told me today... he did an American style 'deal' :(

East-End Eagle
14-12-2001, 05:21 PM
Bowyer cleared of both charges, Woodgate found guilty of Affray.

That's all I know right now!!

East-End Eagle
14-12-2001, 05:24 PM
From Sky Sports:

Woodgate Guilty, Bowyer Cleared

Huge Cost Of Leeds Players Trial

Premiership footballer Jonathan Woodgate could face jail after being found guilty of affray, following an assault on an Asian student outside a Leeds nightclub.

But he was found not guilty of the more serious charge of grievous bodily harm with intent. His Leeds colleague, Lee Bowyer was found not guilty on identical charges.

Their friend, Paul Clifford was found guilty of both grievous bodily harm with intent, and affray. The fourth accused, Neale Caveney was found guilty of affray, but cleared of GBH.

The verdicts bring to an end one of the longest and most expensive legal sagas in recent footballing history, which included two full Crown Court trials.

Brawl

Bowyer, Woodgate and team-mate Michael Duberry were arrested in January 2000 after a street brawl outside the Majestyk nightclub in Leeds.

Witnesses described how a group of white youths chased several young Asian men into nearby Mill Hill, where student Sarfraz Najeib was viciously attacked.

Mr Najeib, 21, from Rotherham, South Yorkshire, suffered a broken leg, nose and cheekbone, and was bitten on the face.

The court was told there was no evidence the attack was racially motivated.

Cleared: Bowyer

Trial collapse

Prosecutors claimed the footballers and their friends turned on Mr Najeib because he had the "brass neck" to punch one of Woodgate's friends, James Hewison, during the initial fracas.

Woodgate (21), midfielder Bowyer (24) and Clifford and Caveney, both 22 and from Middlesbrough, all denied affray and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Their first trial collapsed in April of this year after the Sunday Mirror published an interview with the victim's father while the jury was still considering the verdict.

The panel had only reached one conclusion: that Michael Duberry and three of the other defendants - Woodgate, Clifford and Caveney - were not guilty of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Admission

Giving evidence to the first trial in March, Duberry told the court Woodgate had spoken to him minutes after the attack and had admitted being involved in a fight.

Duberry had made no mention of the conversation in his interviews with police.

At the second trial, Duberry denied he had made up the conversation in order to "save his own skin".

Daddy Long
14-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Bowyer's off to the World Cup then.

sunshine lucas
14-12-2001, 05:35 PM
I seem to remember that Bowyer was once fined for various pathetic antics in a McDonalds 'restaurant'.
He is a horrible little man.
My favourite memory of him is when he appeared for the Clowns against us at Selhurst wearing his trademark wussy gloves one evening. He was kicked from one end of the pitch to the other for 90 mins. Great stuff.

GUCCI Eagle
14-12-2001, 05:35 PM
That Bowyer is a right tosser, used to try and be a hard man all the time when he played for Charlton. Just like Paul Konchesky is now. One of my mates saw him in Sidcup the other day with a ripped shirt carrying a can of Stella saying: "he wanted it, he got it" - CHUMP!

joshr
14-12-2001, 05:49 PM
Looks like Woodgate could go to Prison. I wonder if Bowyer will be celebrating tonight with a few drinks at Majestik......:)

PJ
14-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Bowyer had one of the victim's blood on his jacket, was filmed running towards the scene of the attack, was filmed embracing one of the GBH-ers and was placed by eye-witnesses at the scene despite his denials of being there ... and was found not guilty of affray ! How is that possible ?

Justin
14-12-2001, 06:33 PM
Woodgate has got 100 hours community service. His mate 6 years in prison.

bucketbongeagle
14-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Woodgate got 100 hours community service Bowyer nothing. Personally I think that's an absolute disgrace, from the little I know it seemed obvious that Woodgate was up to his neck in it, in which case they should of thrown the book at him and made an example of him.

Belly
14-12-2001, 08:15 PM
Before we go crucifing Bower/Woodgate, lets not forget that someone has actually been convicted of gbh and sentenced to 6 years.
You can't just presume someone guilty of a crime like this because of football related rivalrys.
A lot of time and money has been spent on this case and I'm quite sure justice has been done,the jury were out best part of a week deliberating , so it was obviously given a lot of thought, although i must admit i don't know what the split was.

Riccardo
14-12-2001, 08:18 PM
Bowyer didn't go down...a very sad day. :grrr: :( :confused:

firesign
14-12-2001, 08:27 PM
Lee Bowyer has been found not guilty of the charges brought against him. And so I accept the judgement.

But he's still a thug :grrr:

Tarby
14-12-2001, 08:33 PM
What you mean the famous footballers get off almost scot free and Johnny Nobody, their mate, gets 6 years....no...tell me another...I'm shocked :rolleyes:

Money makes the world go round....allegedly.

Daniel_Nash
14-12-2001, 08:50 PM
It does seem a little weird that some get off free, or with community service and others get absolutly done for it. If everyone was involved, then why not share the sentence? Especially as the 2 most famous ones got off lightly.

Just having a discussion about racism and how anyone can say it's a racist attack. If an Asian guy gets beaten up by a White guy then could be for a number of reasons... the Asian guy might have been hitting on the other guys girl, spilled his drink, barged into him... or might have been pushed away and slipped, fell, and hurt himself. You have to be so careful now, people tend to over react. Not saying that it is the case in this.. err.. case. But it does happen. Same with assault, and harrassment.

Some little kid accused me of assault yesterday, i was doing door duty at school, making sure no one came in while the teachers weren't around. I asked this kid to leave 4 times, and he kept trying to push past me. I had to reach to stop him, i picked him up and turned him round facing the door. He accused me of assault and said he'd get me suspended. Hmmm. Even the very young can accuse... scary.

Steven Baxter.
14-12-2001, 10:14 PM
The most disturbing aspect I heard of the first trial was that one of the jurors was dismissed by the judge for writing a decidedly off-colour letter to him asking why the victim wasn't the one on trial.

But I think eventually justice has been done. Anyone who's ever been attacked by a gang of drunken nuts knows how it feels...scum like that deserve everything they get. It's time we ended this "pint and a punch-up" culture in this country.

PeterH
15-12-2001, 04:28 AM
IMHO I think they got away with it. They certainly weren“t pulling their mate off or offering assistance to the injured.

For this reason alone they are both scumbags. Lets not try and defend them we know Bowyer of old. Lets hope he never plays for England after this. If I was the thug that got six years, or the victim I would be very disillusioned by this. It appears that the one individual done all the damage and our two Leeds friends just shouted a lot and made a scene. Now thats beleivable.

Celestial Empire
15-12-2001, 01:19 PM
Belly, I presume you forgot the "sarcastic" smiley ?
:moo:

Beanie
15-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
It does seem a little weird that some get off free, or with community service and others get absolutly done for it. If everyone was involved, then why not share the sentence? Especially as the 2 most famous ones got off lightly.

Sorry - I don't think this is weird at all - they didn't all get the same verdict, so why get the same punishmnet? One person is found not guilty, so they obviously get no punishment. Two are found guilt of affray - one famous, one not, and they get the same sentance for the same offence. One person is found guilty of GBH and gets 6 years. You get sentanced for what you did - not for what somebody else you know did.

Daniel_Nash
16-12-2001, 04:11 PM
But the footballers got off relatively free. They have to do community service as part of their contracts anyway.

Celestial Empire
17-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Daniel, do you hear that strange shuffling noise ? ...... It's the lawyers closing ranks. If you listen carefully, you will hear it quite often.

:vader:

Daniel_Nash
18-12-2001, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Daniel, do you hear that strange shuffling noise ? ...... It's the lawyers closing ranks. If you listen carefully, you will hear it quite often.

:vader:

nah, sorry.. i don't hear it.. or really understand what you mean :sob:

Beanie
18-12-2001, 03:41 PM
But the footballers got off relatively free. They have to do community service as part of their contracts anyway.

The only footballer to be convicted got EXACTLY the same sentance as the non-footballer who got convicted of the same thing. The other guy got six years for a much more serious offence. I also think that you miss understand the concept of "Community Service". It's not turning up and taking the odd kiddies training session - which is the sort of thing which might be in their contract. In local paper last winter a story about Community Service. We had a number of blocked up rivers and sewers causing flooding. A few people on "Community Service" had the wonderful job of wading around and removing all the sludge and decomposing leaves (and other stuff) from the drains and sewers so that the water ran away properly. Just one example.

If you don't like the verdicts (having been in court for the whole case of course, and paid close attention to the evidence and not the "editted highlights" in the prerss) blame the jury, not the people who were on trial.

Oisin
18-12-2001, 05:14 PM
bowyer transfer listed by Leeds

Guido
18-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Bowyer has been placed on the transfer list according to Skysports today. Intriguing me thinks!

Thin on Top
18-12-2001, 05:22 PM
From Sky Sports:

Leeds star Lee Bowyer placed on transfer list with immediate effect.

The midfielder was fined four weeks wages last week, yet refused to accept the disciplinary action.

He will not be available for David O'Leary's team selection.

JohnA
18-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Maybe Karachai City or Lahore Wanderers could put a bid in for him.

I am sure that they'd get capacity crowds with all of the stadium screaming for justice.

Thin on Top
18-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Does the Al' quaida have a sunday team ??

The Omen
18-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Stupid move by Leeds in my oppinion. He was proved innocent, so why punish him?!

Hope he goes on to prove them wrong for selling him - I guess they will only sell to a foreign club?

Axie
18-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Yup, here's more details. Let's hope no-one buys him....

Leeds put Bowyer on transfer list

Lee Bowyer has been placed on the transfer list with immediate effect after refusing to accept a fine imposed by his club.

Bowyer was found not guilty of affray and grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to an assault on student Sarfraz Najeib.

But Leeds feel the midfielder breached the club's code of conduct as he was under the influence of alcohol on the night of the attack.

Leeds have imposed a fine of four weeks wages on Bowyer, while also insisting he undergoes community programme work for the remainder of his contract.

Bowyer, however, has refused to accept the internal disciplinary action, forcing the club to place him on the transfer list.

Story filed: 13:20 Tuesday 18th December 2001

firesign
18-12-2001, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Stupid move by Leeds in my oppinion. He was proved innocent, so why punish him?!

Because as O'Leary said, while he has been found innocent of the charges against him, Bowyer was undoubtedly acting unprofessionally - and not for the first time. You might have thought that Bowyer would have taken the disciplinary action with a bit of humility - he obviously hasn't learned anything.

Reps AJ
18-12-2001, 05:38 PM

Hope he goes on to prove them wrong for selling him - I guess they will only sell to a foreign club?

they punished him for running through the streets of Leeds p!ssed off his face and generally behaving like a complete d!ck. Bowyer has refused to accept the club's punishment and so they transfer listed him.

Daddy Long
18-12-2001, 05:39 PM
No matter how he's acted, there will be a mad rush of clubs trying to sign him.

paf
18-12-2001, 05:40 PM
I'm with Bowyer on this. He was found not guilty, therefore they have no grounds for punishing him.

If my employer fined me 4 weeks wages for being pissed out of my skull, I'd never have any money.

Simon Forrest
18-12-2001, 05:42 PM
Bid £16m, pay him £20k a week and let's get out of this damn division! :p

firesign
18-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
No matter how he's acted, there will be a mad rush of clubs trying to sign him.

Although he is a talented player, I don't think there will be a queue of clubs. He's 'damaged' goods IMHO.

I note that Woodgate has accepted his fine of 8 weeks wages.

Daddy Long
18-12-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by firesign

Although he is a talented player, I don't think there will be a queue of clubs. He's 'damaged' goods IMHO.

I note that Woodgate has accepted his fine of 8 weeks wages.

If that were the case then Stan Collymore or Paul Merson would never have played again.....

Reps AJ
18-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by paf
I'm with Bowyer on this. He was found not guilty, therefore they have no grounds for punishing him.

What if the fine isn't for the assault, but rather being completely off his face and out of control in the centre of Leeds? Which is against the club's code of conduct...

sunshine lucas
18-12-2001, 06:09 PM
Terrific news. Regardless of being cleared - he is (FACT) a nasty piece of trash. Ugly, dim, previous Clown, previous convictions for McDonalds fracas and er, I really don't like him.:clown:

firesign
18-12-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long

If that were the case then Stan Collymore or Paul Merson would never have played again.....

Well, we shall see one or the other. But I do think this is slightly different. Usually when a player gets fined for being 'out of order' he just pays it and follows the official club line "I'm really sorry, I'll try not to do it again etc".

By refusing to accept that his behaviour was unbecoming of a professional sportsman, he is clearly on to a loser. He might think he's making some kind of principled stand, but sometimes in life you have to compromise.

I can imagine Ridsdale/O'Leary saying to him "look we know you're innocent but we're getting a lot of hassle, so we're going to give you a small fine (you won't miss the money anyway) and you just have to make a statement saying how much you love the club, the city, the fans and say how hopefully you can develop into a role model for youngsters in the future - turn things around like David Beckham did etc etc. And in no time everything will be back to normal and you'll be off to the World Cup too."

So what does he do? He says "Nah!" and reveals himself to be not only a thug but a stupid tw@t too. :grrr:

Bertrand
18-12-2001, 06:45 PM
Patrick Kluivert has got away with much worse but his career seems to be going alright ;)

Scoot
18-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Bertrand
Patrick Kluivert has got away with much worse but his career seems to be going alright ;)

Cantana got off with assult :rolleyes:

Outside football aside ..... Bowyer is just the sort of class our midfield needs. :D

PJ
18-12-2001, 07:43 PM
I should think that as intelligent blokes, Ridsdale and O'Leary do not for one second believe the fairy story that Bowyer spun about how Najeib's brother's blood got on his jacket. He might be not guilty of the charges brought but he surely can't claim that he did nothing worse than get drunk that evening.

Daniel_Nash
18-12-2001, 08:22 PM
I heard a story before the original trial that whatever the outcome, he'd be leaving Leeds and joining Arsenal. He wanted to get away from the North and return near to home...

Ruskin Old Boy
18-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Before he could even be considered by Arsenal, Wenger would want him to spend a year in a drying out clinic - and have a lobotomy

Daniel_Nash
18-12-2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Before he could even be considered by Arsenal, Wenger would want him to spend a year in a drying out clinic - and have a lobotomy

They already have Tony Adams who has been through clinics, Merson was there, Ray Parlour is a gypsy, Martin Keown looks like Moe from the Simpsons. He'd fit right in!

Ian of Chatham
18-12-2001, 08:30 PM

What if the fine isn't for the assault, but rather being completely off his face and out of control in the centre of Leeds? Which is against the club's code of conduct...
I agree and I wonder what other clubs would have done if one of their players have gone out of control a-la-Bowyer, some of them would have been sacked already before the case would have even got to court, but then again in real life the punishment is inversely proportional to the size of the "name" of the player at the club.

Jolly Norwegian
18-12-2001, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
My impression is that he's already had that lobotomy... :o

Ruskin Old Boy
18-12-2001, 09:08 PM

They already have Tony Adams who has been through clinics, Merson was there, Ray Parlour is a gypsy, Martin Keown looks like Moe from the Simpsons. He'd fit right in!

With Hoorah Henry? :cool:

Chobham Eagle
19-12-2001, 01:26 AM
So far I think that Ridsdale as handled this whole episode extremely well. Bowyer is an idiot for not accepting the fine. He may have been found innocent of attacking someone, but he's not innocent of haring round Leeds in the middle of the night pissed out of his skull. Nor is he, apparently, innocent of lying about what happened.

He has signed a code of conduct with his club and if he breaks it he has to face the consequences. Mr Ridsdale has done exactly the right thing. I'd certainly prefer him as our Club Chairman to any of those who've we had since 1973.

The Omen
19-12-2001, 02:49 PM
4 weeks is a big fine though - usually the FA will only allow players to be fined up to 2 weeks wages. In my oppinion that would have been enough in this case.

I've seen Jody Morris and John Harley out getting drunk recently - they didn't end up with any fine.

He may have lied in court, but the jury have found him innocent - so, imo, he should not be punished.

Reps AJ
19-12-2001, 03:00 PM

but the jury have found him innocent

Yes BUT the fine is NOT for the assault!!

DE - Glad All Over
19-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DE - Glad All Over
Based on the available evidence to us I have a horrible feeling that they will get away with it, even though I suspect at least one is guilty.
Don't say I told you so.

My boss is a Leeds fan, who is beggining to get depressed over the media circus. Nice to see it is not about Palace for a change, he, he.:clown:

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-12-2001, 03:05 PM
Despite the fact I can't stand Bowyer, I have to agree with The Omen on this one.

Assuming all he did that night was get caught up in the fight but didn't actually throw his fists around, then he would have every right to feel hard done by just now.

He's paid out a million pounds in legal fees, has missed several chances to play for England and now his own club wants to land him with one of the biggest fines ever.

The Omen
19-12-2001, 03:16 PM

Yes BUT the fine is NOT for the assault!!

So what your saying is that you feel a four week fine (he is on roughly £22k a week, so thats £88k) should be brought against him because he got drunk?!?! I get annoyed when a night out costs me £50!

arussell
19-12-2001, 03:21 PM
Anyone see the front page of the Mirror today ?

Absolute class :) .. but they forgot to add "glove wearing muppet " as well :D

James Varcoe
19-12-2001, 03:27 PM
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/0009BA22-3E9F-1C20-BE0180BFB6FA01D8.191201

Just for you Alan

Reps AJ
19-12-2001, 03:27 PM

So what your saying is that you feel a four week fine (he is on roughly £22k a week, so thats £88k) should be brought against him because he got drunk?!?! I get annoyed when a night out costs me £50!

What I'm saying is that a professional sportsman AND ROLE MODEL should not be running around the city centre late and night completely drunk and out of control, which is against the club's code of coduct. He should then not lie (according to the judge) about it to the police.

firesign
19-12-2001, 03:32 PM

He didn't just GET drunk. He is a professional sportsman who was totally off his face and acting like a complete ****. Being a footballer is a privilege. With privileges come responsibilities. He has a contract with Leeds which includes references to unacceptable behaviour, and he seems to have been in breach of that. Also, it can't be argued that his behaviour was totally out of character. Bowyer should have taken the fine with good grace, like Woodgate has.

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-12-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by James Varcoe

Just for you Alan

I can se how The Mirror can defend all those adjectives, except 'cowardly'. What is the evidence for this? That he didn't get more involved on the night in question?

firesign
19-12-2001, 03:41 PM

Just for you Alan

That is the best front page of any paper I've seen in a long time. Class

:o

AJ1969
19-12-2001, 03:50 PM
What i dont understand is why he has to shell out the million - he was charged by the crown and found innocent - surely the crown should bear the brunt of the cost?

Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Despite the fact I can't stand Bowyer, I have to agree with The Omen on this one.

Assuming all he did that night was get caught up in the fight but didn't actually throw his fists around, then he would have every right to feel hard done by just now.

He's paid out a million pounds in legal fees, has missed several chances to play for England and now his own club wants to land him with one of the biggest fines ever.

Strathclyde Eagle
19-12-2001, 03:53 PM
I actually think the fines are justified and if Bowyer had any sense he would do what Woodgate has done (i.e. accept that your situation could be a lot worse, pay the fine and try and move on in a positive fashion).

However isn't there some sort of rule that a club cannot fine a player more than two weeks wages? I dare say that the PFA will highly prominent in future developments in this case (and they're probably seething that Woodgate has paid his fine, as it probably sets a precedent).

At the moment though the person Bowyer is hurting most is himself, and he must be very short-sighted if he cannot see that. Still, couldn't happen to a nicer person. :D

Funny, the other day we were saying that nothing sticks to Bowyer. Why then does he keep putting himself in more situations where that becomes apparent?

arussell
19-12-2001, 03:54 PM
Just for you Alan

Nice one James - that's two pints you owe me and one I owe you back
now ;)

Reps AJ
19-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by AJ1969
What i dont understand is why he has to shell out the million - he was charged by the crown and found innocent - surely the crown should bear the brunt of the cost?

I think the judge made him pay his own costs because he told lies... so let that be a lesson

Strathclyde Eagle
19-12-2001, 03:59 PM

I think the judge made him pay his own costs because he told lies... so let that be a lesson

Shouldn't a charge of Perjury and a sentence similar to that of Jeffrey Archer be the lesson then?

DE - Glad All Over
19-12-2001, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by paf

If my employer fined me 4 weeks wages for being pissed out of my skull, I'd never have any money.
Slight difference PAF, is that when you do it the national press are unlikely to report the grim facts. With Bowyer he broke the clubs code of conduct, so they do have grounds to fine him. Bowyer is not only paid vast amounts of money to play football, but represent the club in many other Brand ways.

If he does not like it he can get the sort of job that the likes of you and I endure and get pissed out of his head when ever he likes.

Reps AJ
19-12-2001, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Shouldn't a charge of Perjury and a sentence similar to that of Jeffrey Archer be the lesson then?

I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess that the judge said Bowyer lied during police interviews rather than under oath during the trial itself?

"The judge later refused an application for costs by Bowyer, said by his counsel to be more than £1m. The judge said that, throughout police interviews held after Bowyer had been arrested on suspicion of taking part in the assault, the footballer had lied. "His interviews in my judgment were littered with lies," he said"

The Omen
19-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Talking about the story from The Mirror :

Since when has Bowyer been a racist?

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-12-2001, 05:21 PM
Talking about the story from The Mirror :

Since when has Bowyer been a racist?

From the inside pages of The Mirror:

Bowyer was fined £4,500 for affray in the incident which left two [McDonald's] workers injured. He had told Miah, 24: "I don't want to be served by a Paki. Get me a white person to serve me or I'll beat you all up."

Daniel_Nash
22-12-2001, 02:29 AM
Harry Redknapp said today about stopping clubs christmas parties. This was after the West Hammers went mental in a nightclub. "animalistic and gross" was a quote i saw.

Maybe it's just a trend amongst those with lots of money, fame and free time.

By accepting the fine, if infact Bowyer did, he has basically said that he needs Leeds more than Leeds need him. I still think he'll leave though.

Celestial Empire
22-12-2001, 08:06 PM
Last year during the AS regime, (players not trying etc.) I remember a long discussion on the BBS, about how many players (especially Prem players) are total low lifes.

Is it surprising that many amongst Joe (respectable) Public, who don't share our passion for the game, will take a seriously jaundiced view of the (very well publicised) antics of the soccer-bratdom ?

Bowyer & Woodgate could find themselves even poorer if the civil case is successful.

brb rule
27-12-2001, 06:32 PM
Maybe they should investigate lee for starting the bradford riots.

Psychokiller
28-12-2001, 05:19 AM
At the end of the day Bowyer & Woodgate are both c***s and I hope their careers end by Henry Hughton style 2 footed tackles.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
02-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Seems some people can make money from anything: :rolleyes:

Leeds United have expressed their embarrassment after notoriously racist comedian Stan Boardman told a string of offensive jokes at an awards ceremony.

Boardman joked about the assault on Asian Sarfraz Najeib that saw Leeds players Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer in the dock and then told an Asian heckler to 'get back to his curry house'.

A Leeds spokesman told the Daily Mirror: "The club is embarrassed and appalled by Stan Boardman's performance."

They have sent a letter to the comedian saying that his £4,000 fee is being reviewed and that he will not be welcome at the club again.

But questions remain as to why they invited Boardman to perform when his reputation for non-PC humour is well-known.

One Leeds player is said to have walked out during the performance, while boss David O'Leary sat stony-faced during a string of anti-Irish jokes.

But the real problems came when Boardman 'joked': "I see Woodgate and Bowyer are here tonight.

"I hear they went to a club last night. When they came out, one said to the other 'I could murder an Indian'."

When an Asian guest objected, Boardman replied: "F****** hell, I'm being heckled by Pakis now.

"Why don't you go back to your curry house or shop in Bradford? Your elephant's waiting outside."

But of course Boardman is unrepentant, saying: "I don't know what all the fuss is about. I tell jokes about everyone."

PeterH
02-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Cheeky scouser always wheeled out as a celebrity in those Liverpool/Everton cup finals. How he commands £4,000 god only knows.

Bet that Bowyer/Woodgate joke went down like a sh it sandwich.