PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence: Not Amused

NorwoodPride
13-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Saw Matty Lawrence in Block J of the Old Stand tonight. With 10 minutes left he decided to leave and booted a plastic drinks bottle across the seats in frustration. Funny thing is, we were 2-1 up at the time ... maybe he was pissed off with Fonte's excellent performance?

laggin
13-08-2008, 06:15 AM
maybe cherry tree brb was over harrassing him?

telodaja
13-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by NorwoodPride
With 10 minutes left he decided to leave and booted a plastic drinks bottle across the seats

Straight to a Hereford fan :D

Adam_Eagle
13-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Maybe he's just realised he really isnt a footballer?

FraserH
13-08-2008, 06:51 AM
perhaps he finally realised fonte is twice the player he is and the only reason NW picks him is because he is in love with him ;)

Eye-dee
13-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Maybe he's got the hump because we didn't sponsor his home shirt this season :(

Sorry Matty, credit crunch innit.

Forever9
13-08-2008, 07:13 AM
If a normal fan was to kick a bottle he would be chucked out, on another point, he did waste 15 to get in !

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
13-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Just practising another hoof out of defense ?

pallet
13-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Was he going for a can and missed and kicked the bottle instead?

pedro
13-08-2008, 08:23 AM
To be fair most of his clearances end up in the seats so maybe he was attempting a role reversal.

Shoreditch CPFC
13-08-2008, 08:26 AM
People are being very quick to put the knife into one of our best defenders last season. All because he was played whilst unfit on Sat and unsurprisingly looked unfit?

Jordan's Jacket
13-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Frustrated!!! Hasn't he just landed a 2yr contract which in itself is an extraordinary stroke of luck considering how useless he is

Radders
13-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
People are being very quick to put the knife into one of our best defenders last season. All because he was played whilst unfit on Sat and unsurprisingly looked unfit?

Here here.

etu
13-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Well said.

Aaroncpfc
13-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Frustrated!!! Hasn't he just landed a 2yr contract which in itself is an extraordinary stroke of luck considering how useless he is .

Useless? Do some people watch the same Matt Lawrence as I do? He's been a good squad player for the last two seasons. . .

Gollum
13-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Lawrence is a good pro, good defender and clearly an excellent man to have in the squad.
There will be times this season when he'll be an essential component of one of the tightest defences in the league.

pauldrulez
13-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Last two seasons.

Now he is behind Fonte, McCarthy, Ertl and Hill at CB and I have no idea why he is being played in front of them.

Shoreditch CPFC
13-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by pauldrulez
Last two seasons.

Now he is behind Fonte, McCarthy, Ertl and Hill at CB and I have no idea why he is being played in front of them.

How on earth can you say Ertl is a better central defender? Surely it is far too soon to know that. Also, haven't you noticed that we've needed Hill at left back. Perhaps, you really do have no idea...

Brett
13-08-2008, 09:05 AM
When it comes to raw defending, he is outstanding at this level.

People go on like that's a bad thing. :confused:

Swanny32
13-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by laggin
maybe cherry tree brb was over harrassing him?

That's usually the problem, a shrink would have a field day with Mr BRB

AndyStreet
13-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Brett
When it comes to raw defending, he is outstanding at this level.

People go on like that's a bad thing. :confused:

I can't agree mate. He gets caught out of position far too often and his decision making is often poor. He'll throw his body in the way of any ball and is as committed as anyone though.

Riccardo
13-08-2008, 09:12 AM

Thank you.

Some people on this site are absolute shits.

nookiebear
13-08-2008, 09:19 AM
What the is the matter with some people this season?

UEAgle
13-08-2008, 09:20 AM
He's a nice bloke and solid enough, but Fonte is so, so, so superior to him, which made Saturday's team selection slightly baffling.

delboy01
13-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Well said. He only had 45 mins preseason so I was very supprised to see him play on sat. Same with scowie.

dufski13
13-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Lawrence is a pretty limited player, but highly committed. HE defends well & IMO dug Hudson out of many holes last season, but his distribution is absolutely woeful,& in itself that can create problems. There were times last season when his constant aimless hoofing just invited pressure back on us as he gave the ball straight back to the oppo. However in this division there will be games for Fonte & definitely games for Matty. He is a solid no comprimising defender, he just can't pass for toffee. I wasn't surprised to see him in against Watford over Fonte, given Watford's style & reputation.

Joe Knight
13-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Lawrence is solid is a rock and can also do a job at right back and centre mid. His performances at the end of last season fully justify a contract extension imho.

rednbluevegas
13-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Am I reading this right?

There are people seriously putting up on these boards that ML is way down the pecking order for the CB position?

May I remind those who clearly think our CB's need to be Terry and Ferdinand, that ML was a key component of the tightest defence in the Championship last season and as such will take some considerable displacing by one or two of our other players. He is consistent, effective through the full 90 minutes (unlike Hudson for example), and whilst he cannot carry the ball out and set up an attack, Warnock wants it nice and simple from all 4 defenders.

There are some Palace fans who have no sense of reality.....

UEAgle
13-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Surely it doesn't take a genius to see that Fonte is much better than Lawrence though?

dufski13
13-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by UEAgle
Surely it doesn't take a genius to see that Fonte is much better than Lawrence though?

Horses for courses though isn't it ? Lawrence is going to play aghaisnt the more physical,bruising teams I should imagine. Fonte may well play against the better footballing teams, but when we need a brusier , prepared to pout his head on the line I expect Lawrence will get the nod.
In the unlikely event of us going up I would expect Fonte to be first choice, but we've got to get there first.

rbarmy
13-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by rednbluevegas
Am I reading this right?

There are people seriously putting up on these boards that ML is way down the pecking order for the CB position?

May I remind those who clearly think our CB's need to be Terry and Ferdinand, that ML was a key component of the tightest defence in the Championship last season and as such will take some considerable displacing by one or two of our other players. He is consistent, effective through the full 90 minutes (unlike Hudson for example), and whilst he cannot carry the ball out and set up an attack, Warnock wants it nice and simple from all 4 defenders.

There are some Palace fans who have no sense of reality.....

100% right in my book

stevek
13-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by UEAgle

First half, Fonte's distribution was every bit as aimless hoof as Lawrence's ever is. Second half - with Fletcher on and the midfield making itself more available - it was much better.

cross
13-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by dufski13
Horses for courses though isn't it ? Lawrence is going to play aghaisnt the more physical,bruising teams I should imagine. Fonte may well play against the better footballing teams, but when we need a brusier , prepared to pout his head on the line I expect Lawrence will get the nod.
In the unlikely event of us going up I would expect Fonte to be first choice, but we've got to get there first.

Exactly what I thought on Saturday. He's a good defender, very rarely makes defensive mistakes but is limited in his passing and does like to clear it upfield when he's got a bit more time. Don't think that's a fitness thing, it's just his natural mindset. As with Butterfield.

Still against the physical teams he's good at what he does.

NorwoodPride
13-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I actually like Lawrence when he's at his best, but he's just far too inconsistent in my opinion and does make silly errors from time to time. But it's good to have players competing for their places and Fonte will hopefully end up motivating Lawrence in the end and that can only be for the best.

Palacemad2002
13-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Lawrences passing isnt the greatest but apart from that he is a solid defender who was outstanding towards the end of last season with some very important performances.
All the twats that are calling him useless after 1 game are probably the very same breed of twat that boo'd the team off on Saturday after one, yes count it!, one game!

plus his taste in music is outstanding for a footballer :p

pedro
13-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Despite taking a tongue in cheek dig at him earlier in this thread regarding his distribution he is still a far more solid centre back than Fonte. Whilst he lacks the finesse and control on the ball that Fonte has he is a far stronger presence back there and we benefit from his no nonsense defending even if it does cost him quite a few yellow cards. In a game where the centre backs are not under too much pressure then Fonte can make more use of the ball at his feet but in a battle you would want lawrence there every day of the week. The only problem is with Hill, McCarthy and Lawrence in the back line Buttsy is the only one who gets forward and can play a decent pass/cross which limits our attacking options when going forward. This was highlighted on Saturday when all the back four did was keep giving the ball to Buttsy who then kept hitting 60 yard balls in the direction of Scowcroft. as an aside it took Watford 60 minutes to work this out but when they did they put Williamson in front of the back four and he stopped the supply even reaching Scowcroft which then made us completely toothless as an attacking entity.

dufski13
13-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Palacemad2002

plus he rights very well, & is intelligent, witty & IMO right minded.

pedro
13-08-2008, 09:58 AM
plus he rights very well,
oh the irony! :D

dufski13
13-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by pedro
oh the irony! :D

Oops, the perils of rattling of posts when I should be working !! :D

NorwoodPride
13-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Palacemad2002
Lawrences passing isnt the greatest but apart from that he is a solid defender who was outstanding towards the end of last season with some very important performances.
All the twats that are calling him useless after 1 game are probably the very same breed of twat that boo'd the team off on Saturday after one, yes count it!, one game!

I certainly don't think he's useless. Not sure about his musical tastes, though, although mine are pretty underground and he does make a refreshing change from the stereotypical "I eat chicken pasta, really like ferraris, listen to rap and don't want to sit next to Clinton Morrison" formula we got in the programme interviews last season.

pauldrulez
13-08-2008, 10:10 AM
How on earth can you say Ertl is a better central defender? Surely it is far too soon to know that. Also, haven't you noticed that we've needed Hill at left back. Perhaps, you really do have no idea...

So we are wasting money on wages and fees, maybe Jose shouldnt have bothered coming here then. He was good last year, but there are better players in that position or have we just wasted our money as usual:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Joe Knight
Lawrence is solid is a rock and can also do a job at right back and centre mid. His performances at the end of last season fully justify a contract extension imho.

Please dont be stupid. He was awful as a right back last year and found a good position at CB. And as for CM, does he have the capabilities to get up and down the pitch for a whole match no matter 45 minutes.

smileysmith
13-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Radders
Here here. Hear hear? ;)

I'd just like to echo the sentiments of those registering disbelief at the slating on here of one of our best and most committed defenders. I for one am very happy he has been given a two year contract, and hope to see him play against any of the more physical teams.

Joe Knight
13-08-2008, 10:16 AM
So we are wasting money on wages and fees, maybe Jose shouldnt have bothered coming here then. He was good last year, but there are better players in that position or have we just wasted our money as usual:rolleyes:

Please dont be stupid. He was awful as a right back last year and found a good position at CB. And as for CM, does he have the capabilities to get up and down the pitch for a whole match no matter 45 minutes.

Awful at right back even though we had the best defence in the league? right you are.

smileysmith
13-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Awful at right back even though we had the best defence in the league? right you are. :) :p

budgie
13-08-2008, 10:29 AM

How many times have you seen Ertl play?

I have yet to see him, but by all accounts he is a good player, but his main strength is his ability to play in many positions, such as CB, but also midfield and full back. So to assume he is automatically a better CB than Matt Lawrence is a little naive.

CHERRY TREE BRB
13-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Can't believe some people on here for the way Matt is criticised, the only reason he didn't play last night, was because he hasn't had much football pre-season so NW obviously thought it better to rest him last night, so he can reclaim his spot in defence on saturday

<_tece_>
13-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Thing is, even though we had a good defensive record etc etc, we still looked at times a bit shaky at the back IMO. I think less so when Fonte is involved.

Just look at who won player of the year.

Psychokiller
13-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Do you really think he should be picked ahead of Fonte? IMHO Fonte is the classiest centre half we've had for quite a few years. I don't mind Lawrence, he's been ok as a squad player over the past couple of years and can still do a job, but never in a million years would I have him in the team at Fonte's expense.

<_tece_>
13-08-2008, 10:43 AM
P.S. How can you block people? I don't think I can stand Cherry Tree's avatar much longer! ;)

CHERRY TREE BRB
13-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Fonte is classy, but over a 46 game slog in the championship, is class what you what really need at CB every week!

Psychokiller
13-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB
Fonte is classy, but over a 46 game slog in the championship, is class what you what really need at CB every week!

Yes. Most definitely. Because not only is he classy, he's also prepared to get stuck in when necessary. His performance at Stoke last season was the best I've seen from a Palace centre half in many years, even without the goal!

eagle-leg
13-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Fully agree!

Also agree with the guy that said - if we are talking about raw defending he is outstanding at this level.

Agree he aint no Beckenbauer or Rio Ferdinand - but not sure what people expect.

:rolleyes:

smileysmith
13-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Do you really think he should be picked ahead of Fonte? IMHO Fonte is the classiest centre half we've had for quite a few years. I don't mind Lawrence, he's been ok as a squad player over the past couple of years and can still do a job, but never in a million years would I have him in the team at Fonte's expense. I think there is a place in the side for one or other of them in different games.

dufski13
13-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
I think there is a place in the side for one or other of them in different games.

That's how I see it, & clearly how NW sees it too.

peagle
13-08-2008, 12:00 PM
lawrence is a good back-up but not a first choice imo. Fonte, McCarthy, HIll and Ertle have all looked better than him unfortunately. We may not need hill at left back once hills is fit and even then there is allways wiggins in contention. Hill would rather play centre back anyway.

sydnsteve
13-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Lawrence should be on the bench. He plays 110%, but is incredibly limited. He mirrors JS up front. Fonte and Mcarthy should be CBs, and Ertl tried at RB (rather surprised he wasn't) as Butts simply is never going to be the player he was.

adrenalin john
13-08-2008, 12:17 PM
What is for sure we we aren't struggling for centrebacks. Competition can only be a good thing.

I thought McCarthy was dodgems pre-season but has clearly been excellent in 'real' games

Lawrence is a highly committed defender who played a key role last year

Hill takes no prisoners

Fonte - oozes class and style and can deal with both pace and trickery

Ertl - not sure why everyone rates him, not that I don't but have only seen him for 10 mins pre-season not 10 games in the season.

We are very lucky to have such choice, cover and competition

limited_edition
13-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Frustrated!!! Hasn't he just landed a 2yr contract which in itself is an extraordinary stroke of luck considering how useless he is Exactly.

Nelson Muntz
13-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I have been surprised at the amount of stick Matt Lawrence got for Saturdays performance.
We kept a clean sheet, so he couldn't have been that bad.

FraserH
13-08-2008, 12:29 PM
what about his lack of pace?

i said earlier in the thread that i dont understand why he would be picked over fonte, ML is a good bruiser but i think you need more than just commitment and power. i think fonte is the complete package at CB and IMO I would start him and paddy as the starting 2 every game.

he did play well last year and he did contribute to over defensive record but i think jools had a big hand in that.

limited_edition
13-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by FraserH
what about his lack of pace?

i said earlier in the thread that i dont understand why he would be picked over fonte, ML is a good bruiser but i think you need more than just commitment and power. i think fonte is the complete package at CB and IMO I would start him and paddy as the starting 2 every game.

he did play well last year and he did contribute to over defensive record but i think jools had a big hand in that. Lack of pace, and he also misses a lot of headers.

I think Jose's performance at Stoke, that was mentioned, puts to bed the myth he can't deal with physical teams.

stamford triumph
13-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by eagle-leg
Fully agree!

Also agree with the guy that said - if we are talking about raw defending he is outstanding at this level.

Agree he aint no Beckenbauer or Rio Ferdinand - but not sure what people expect.

Agree with all this - also whilst he can't be compared to Ferdinand and Terry, I don't think their distribution is much to write home about - I thought they were respected for their defensive prowess alond. Let's not forget one of the biggest criticisms of England teams over the years has been the appalling distribution from the back - sounds familiar! As I said elsewhere, Warnock makes clear in his book that he doesn't want CBs messing around with the ball - he just wants it cleared.

etu
13-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Awful at right back even though we had the best defence in the league? right you are.

Right-back is not an exclusively defensive position.

I really like Lawrence defensively, but going forwards he offers the least out of just about anyone in our squad, bar maybe Jules.

Also, for what its worth, I think Fonte's an out and out better defender from what I've seen.

FraserH
13-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Lack of pace, and he also misses a lot of headers.

I think Jose's performance at Stoke, that was mentioned, puts to bed the myth he can't deal with physical teams.

spot on. Fonte is the complete package.

and to those saying we are slating ML, we are not, theres are just our opinions and the whole idea of a BBS is for discussion and debate, its not like I will turn up to games and start booing him.

stevek
13-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Lack of pace, and he also misses a lot of headers.

Though the way Adebola made a mess of him in the first leg of the play off final rather got it out of bed again.

peagle
13-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Lawrence should be on the bench. He plays 110%, but is incredibly limited. He mirrors JS up front. Fonte and Mcarthy should be CBs, and Ertl tried at RB (rather surprised he wasn't) as Butts simply is never going to be the player he was.
good shout there

Owngoal
13-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Lawrence is a good utility squad player, gives his all, gets in some decent tackles but then does not use the ball well. Really don't understand the mentality that because Jose has 'class and skill' Lawrence should be played ahead of him? Bobby Moore or Colin Todd would not have been picked by some on here ahead of Matty. If he gets a 2 year contract at his age I will be horrified - it will show a lack of ambition - Matty would never make it in the Premiership and age is not on his side.

stevek
13-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Owngoal
Lawrence is a good utility squad player, gives his all, gets in some decent tackles but then does not use the ball well. Really don't understand the mentality that because Jose has 'class and skill' Lawrence should be played ahead of him? Bobby Moore or Colin Todd would not have been picked by some on here ahead of Matty. . The issue is 'class and skill' are of secondary importance compared with defensive ability - but sometimes people are blinded by the class and skill element.

Personally, I'd have Fonte above Lawrence in the pecking order, but the gap is not as big as some people make out.

AndyStreet
13-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by stevek
The issue is 'class and skill' are of secondary importance compared with defensive ability - but sometimes people are blinded by the class and skill element.

Conversely, many more people are blinded by thinking that flying challenges and last gasp blocks are the main indicators of defensive ability.

stevek
13-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Conversely, many more people are blinded by thinking that flying challenges and last gasp blocks are the main indicators of defensive ability. True - much easier to see a desperate block than notice excellent positioning that stops the situation occuring.

Spender
13-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I thought Lawrence was outstanding for us alongside Hudson in central defence in the final weeks of last seasons play off push. Lacks the pace to play full back but real cool head and steadying influence in central defence.Gritty and very sound performer at this level.

Shoreditch CPFC
13-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Though the way Adebola made a mess of him in the first leg of the play off final rather got it out of bed again. Very true. It has actually made me wonder why we don't get him back if we want a big bruiser up front.

limited_edition
13-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Though the way Adebola made a mess of him in the first leg of the play off final rather got it out of bed again. I thought Lenny missed plenty of headers 1st half in the 2nd leg. We improved at the back when Jose came on 2nd half.

stevek
13-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought Lenny missed plenty of headers 1st half in the 2nd leg. We improved at the back when Jose came on 2nd half.

But in the first leg, we improved when Lenny replaced Jose at the back.

Palace Bear
13-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Aaroncpfc

Useless? Do some people watch the same Matt Lawrence as I do? He's been a good squad player for the last two seasons. . .

Agree he doesn't deserve a slating, but he is just an average squad player, much won't get past him but he's never going to set the world alight. Fonte is by far a better player.
Good squad player yes.. but it has baffled me since Warnock's arrival how he has picked him over Butterfield at right back last season and now Fonte at CB for 1st game this season.

My back four would be Butterfield Hill Fonte Hills or Butterfield Fonte McCarthy Hill.

Lawrence would never be my first choice in either position.

jobiinthelastmi
13-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I would play Fonte, simply because he will last longer and is a better all round defender.

Lawrence is coming to the end of his career now, Fonte is the way forward.

Plus Lawrence will get skinned by quicker players.

Palace Ultra
13-08-2008, 05:09 PM

I disagree

successful teams have settled sides, and settled defensive units especially

Shaw - Young - Thorn - Humphrey

Winterburn - Adams - Bould - Dixon

Irwin - Bruce - Pallister - Parker

pistol
13-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Matt lawrence is a good squad player, who when called on will play any position and give it his best.A good utility player

orp pisshead1
13-08-2008, 07:27 PM
True - much easier to see a desperate block than notice excellent positioning that stops the situation occuring.

On the flip side isn't a last gasp tackle not well timed?, lawrence is a very important squad player imo and on his day outstanding at centre half as a proper old fashioned stopper.

LE i normally agree with most of your posts but i thought lawrence was superb down at ashton gate 2nd leg.

rbarmy
13-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
I think there is a place in the side for one or other of them in different games.

Yup - horses for courses, strings to the bow, it gives the manager options - and I for one have found myself shouting 'just get rid of the fvcking thing' which is often what he does, and sometimes that is the best thing to do in all honesty at this level

orp pisshead1
13-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by rbarmy
Yup - horses for courses, strings to the bow, it gives the manager options - and I for one have found myself shouting 'just get rid of the fvcking thing' which is often what he does, and sometimes that is the best thing to do in all honesty at this level

And that leads to best defencieve unit in league last year:p

rbarmy
13-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by orp pisshead1
And that leads to best defencieve unit in league last year:p

absolutely; may not be pretty, may not be creative, but it does stop the ball ending up in the back of the net!:o

eagle-leg
13-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Palace Ultra
I disagree

successful teams have settled sides, and settled defensive units especially

Shaw - Young - Thorn - Humphrey

Winterburn - Adams - Bould - Dixon

Irwin - Bruce - Pallister - Parker

Haha - you mug!!

You think naming some one of our best ever back lines alongside two of the great backlines of recent times supports your arguement?

I reckon we could all name some pretty settled backlines over the years that have been absolute dog, but it wouldn't mean a thing!

Since our defenders are far from being world beaters - all have very obvious strengths and weaknessess and will thus be played at different times throuout the season based upon the opposition.

I suspect that Fonte will get the nod at centre back against most teams this season, but fully back Neil Warnock if he decides to bring in Lawrence against some of the more physical teams....

Lets face it - we have a good number of options at the back and all will play their part this season.

The amount of stick they all took last season - you would never have believed that they conceeded less goals than the other 23 teams in the division!

I reckon the back line should be the least of our worries this season.

Some of you lot need to realise that we aint playing champions league football...

kolinkins
13-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Conversely, many more people are blinded by thinking that flying challenges and last gasp blocks are the main indicators of defensive ability.

Quite

Brett
13-08-2008, 09:22 PM

kolinkins
13-08-2008, 09:34 PM
What you rolleying?

adrenalin john
13-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by eagle-leg
Haha - you mug!!

You think naming some one of our best ever back lines alongside two of the great backlines of recent times supports your arguement?

I reckon we could all name some pretty settled backlines over the years that have been absolute dog, but it wouldn't mean a thing!

Yet as individual players alot of those named were not top class.

Bruce and Pallister were hardly England regulars, I think Bruce never even made an england squad let alone gain a cap.

Back 4's are oft about players complementing each other, centrebacks are certainly about pairing. Vidic is quality as is Ferdinand, but together they are genuinely superb, when either partner plays with another player they certainly do not look as individually good.

Hudson and Lawrence had an excellent partnership last year and the sum of their parts was far more effective than their individual talents merited.

Ha-Ha you Mug.

eagle-leg
13-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
Yet as individual players alot of those named were not top class.

Bruce and Pallister were hardly England regulars, I think Bruce never even made an england squad let alone gain a cap.

Back 4's are oft about players complementing each other, centrebacks are certainly about pairing. Vidic is quality as is Ferdinand, but together they are genuinely superb, when either partner plays with another player they certainly do not look as individually good.

Hudson and Lawrence had an excellent partnership last year and the sum of their parts was far more effective than their individual talents merited.

Ha-Ha you Mug.

Errr - did you read the rest of what I wrote????

:clown: