PDA

View Full Version : Holmesdale / Arthur Closed

camdeneagle
13-08-2008, 08:31 AM
As we know, the Holmesdale and Arthur Wait were closed last night for the Hereford game. With 5 minutes to go before kick off, there was quite a queue to get to the seats in the main stand, and apparently some stewards were telling people to sit where they like. This was confirmed when we arrived at OUR seats to find them taken, and were subsequently given look that said "we are not moving." Ridiculous really if the stewards were saying that, and I know it's annoying when you can't sit in your own stand, but to those concerned, it's also annoying when someone is in your own seat.

Also, have a bit of respect for more senior fans. The guy that sits next to me has been supporting Palace all of his life, he's over 80 and has been sitting in the main stand for as long as I can remember, and my first game was 34 years ago (I'm 39). He politely asked the neanderthal in front of him to stop leaping up and down every 2 minutes (gesticulating to the Hereford fans, nothing to do with the game, by the way) and was told to f@*? off....Absolutely disgraceful, should be ashamed of yourself.

Finally, the man in Block F, Row 14, seat 146......don't come again.

I'll probably get abuse for this, but it had to be said.

Dorking .Eagle
13-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I guess there was always going to be a little bit of a 'culture clash' when fans who usually reside in the Holmesdale Lower had no choice but to sit in the Main Stand. It is unualual that fans from the Holm find their stand completely shut

To be fair though, where I was, I didn't think the language was too colourful (indeed I was as guilty as anyone when Ifill was caught offside for the umpteenth time) bearing in mind there is generally a lower threshold of tolerance against foul language in the usually more genteel main stand

cardiffeagle
13-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Seems like two different breeds of fan stuck in the same stand.
When you close the Holmesdale then the rabble have to be seated elsewhere.

It inevitably causes problems and its not entirely surprising.

Different cultures of anything, yet alone support rarely mix well.

It was never going to be any different last night, what did you expect?
There is no condoning behaviour like that, but until you can legally sedate overexcited, lumpen proles with a dart gun there is very little that can be done:)

Tony Montana
13-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Hmmm, If you were so outraged i'd assume that you told the person in question to show some respect? or did you just sit there thinking of a good thread title for when you got back?

I appreciate your sentiment and of course you're right and respect should be shown to people(regardless of how old they are and how long they have been going, unless you'd like to set expected respect levels dependent on how long someone has been going to Palace?)

As always mentioned you're always likely to get a culture clash when people move over, but ii think you're being overly sensitive. I thought last night was reasonable in terms of language and behaviour, i think it's just a case of you not liking outsiders invading your stand.

NorwoodPride
13-08-2008, 10:10 AM
A similar culture clash happened at the Leicester game, when the traditional "tits, fanny and Palace" ditty was cut short by people shhh-ing!

JJ
13-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by camdeneagle
With 5 minutes to go before kick off, there was quite a queue to get to the seats in the main stand, and apparently some stewards were telling people to sit where they like.

I had a Holmesdale ticket so had to sit in the Main Stand.

First of all, in the ticket office, I was told "there are seats reserved for Holmesdale ticket holders."

Then on going into the ground I was told I could sit where I liked.

Then the steward said I couldn't sit in a seat marked "Reserved" so I sat in a blank one.

Then I was told by the steward that the seats marked "Reserved" were actually the seats reserved for Holmesdale ticket holders, so my mate and I moved and sat in them.

Then a guy turned up and said they were his seats, so we asked the same steward what was happening and he said he'd just been told that what he had said earlier was wrong, and that the reserved seats were for those who'd already bought tickets there, so we moved again.

Hence some confusion. :p

peagle
13-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by camdeneagle
As we know, the Holmesdale and Arthur Wait were closed last night for the Hereford game. With 5 minutes to go before kick off, there was quite a queue to get to the seats in the main stand, and apparently some stewards were telling people to sit where they like. This was confirmed when we arrived at OUR seats to find them taken, and were subsequently given look that said "we are not moving." Ridiculous really if the stewards were saying that, and I know it's annoying when you can't sit in your own stand, but to those concerned, it's also annoying when someone is in your own seat.

Also, have a bit of respect for more senior fans. The guy that sits next to me has been supporting Palace all of his life, he's over 80 and has been sitting in the main stand for as long as I can remember, and my first game was 34 years ago (I'm 39). He politely asked the neanderthal in front of him to stop leaping up and down every 2 minutes (gesticulating to the Hereford fans, nothing to do with the game, by the way) and was told to f@*? off....Absolutely disgraceful, should be ashamed of yourself.

Finally, the man in Block F, Row 14, seat 146......don't come again.

I'll probably get abuse for this, but it had to be said.
Agree with you totally, no abuse here

Barbara4003
13-08-2008, 03:25 PM
It was a bit of a shambles, to be honest. I turned up to sit in my allocated seat (which is actually my season ticket seat) and found people sitting there. One of them told me it was sit where you want, which I wasn't aware of at all. In all the kerfuffle, I lost my husband (not a bad thing, some may say), the teams had come out and I was stuck in a row with nowhere to sit, on my own and getting looked at because everyone was standing up clapping the team out, and I was causing problems trying to get through to a gangway.

I managed to see my brother and headed up towards him and eventually found some seats tucked away at the back (after having to climb over barriers to get there) and saw my husband having a bit of an argument with the people sitting in 'our' seats.

Anyway, I apologise to whoever that was in Block F Row 11 if my husband was rude. He doesn't come to many games due to work and doesn't understand the system - not that anyone understood last nights seating system - but he was even more at a loss :)

Eye-dee
14-08-2008, 04:14 PM
All part of the rough and tumble that is supporting Palace, and don't we all love it :D

Pub Idol
14-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Easliy solved if people sat in the ticket seats. 'Sit where you like'was a pretty stupid instruction really.

Ian of Chatham
16-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
Easliy solved if people sat in the ticket seats. 'Sit where you like'was a pretty stupid instruction really.
What else could the stewards have done for people like me who purchased a ticket in the Holmesdale for the Hereford game in advance only to find on arrival to the game that the Holmesdale was shut and being redirected to the Main Stand? I did not have a "ticket seat" to sit on in the Main Stand.

beestey
16-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Here, here, Ian, I couldn't understand where I was meant to sit, so I just sat in an empty seat - if a lost woman like Barbara 4003, bearing a lovely hot bag of pie'n'mash, had approached me for her usual seat, I would have swooned and offered it to her instantly.

Barbara4003
16-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by beestey
Here, here, Ian, I couldn't understand where I was meant to sit, so I just sat in an empty seat - if a lost woman like Barbara 4003, bearing a lovely hot bag of pie'n'mash, had approached me for her usual seat, I would have swooned and offered it to her instantly.

:D

Sorry, didn't have any in my handbag that evening.

I'll remember that little tip for future games though :p

beestey
16-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
:D

Sorry, didn't have any in my handbag that evening.

I'll remember that little tip for future games though :p

Funnily enough, Barbara, the manager of Lou Farrers in Southwark Park Road was interviewed in the local Bermondsey rag this week - he's Turkish as it transpires, but he likes pie'n'mash, or so he says.

I had a jolly nice pie'n'mash in Tower Bridge Road the other day at your own Establishment.

Woodside_Palace
16-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Eye-dee
All part of the rough and tumble that is supporting Palace, and don't we all love it :D

The 'confusion' caused by unreserved seating and the influx of the Holmesdale ruffians was proabably the most excitement the old duffers in the Main Stand have seen in years. :D

Neckinger Eagle
16-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I have some sympathy with the original poster.

I was lucky enough to be sitting in an area where one particular fellow spent most of the time bellowing in cliches: "Have it!", "Sort It Out!" and "He's only Hereford" being his favourites.

He also enjoyed the banter with the Hereford fans, although I wouldn't have given him much chance of getting past the assorted stewards and police to pat them on the back. In fact I think St John's ambulance would have proved too much of a barrier.

I would have told him to belt up so I could continue to get 40 winks in, but my conscience got the better of me. Care in the community, after all.