PDA

View Full Version : Preston 2-0 Palace - ratings and reviews

GodstoneEagle
16-08-2008, 05:24 PM
well, what can I say?

Woeful first half. Set out with a defensive 4-5-1 and were shat onfirst half. Butterfisld made a couple of vital defensive interventions

Second half it was little better, mindless football. We took them scoring to play our best football, when it was going through carle and soared, passing and moving.

Therenis no doutbt about the pen we should have had but we deserved nothing today

Speroni 6
Butts 8 mom
Lawrence 6
McCarthy 5 too much hoofball
Hill 5

Oster 4 anonymous. A luxury player that we couldn't afford today
Soares worked so hard 7
Carle 6 flashes of class
Derry 5/6
Hills 5 ineffective

Scow 5 no support but poor anyway

Warnock 3 poor selection, no scannell in squad (injured?)

Palace 6 for effort in terms of distance travelled but not much to shout about

Barbara4003
16-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Hills - 5, ineffective?

From the commentary we were listening to, he sounded one of the better players.

henryhallandhisbasque
16-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Sack the lot of them. Close the club for the rest of the season and start again in Division 1 with an entirely new cast of extras from Albion Market. We couldn't do much worse.

lakeseagle
16-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Managed to miss the first 20 mins as car broke down, apparently Butterfield was the only decent player at the time. Only started trying after they scored but absolutely zero cutting edge and Scowcroft had no help, Andrew had one wayward shot, Moses looked brighter but only as sub. Way too dull a strategy today.

GodstoneEagle
16-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
Hills - 5, ineffective?

From the commentary we were listening to, he sounded one of the better players. well maybe I should have listened to the radio then:rolleyes:

He made little headway and was playng as a second leftback. Don't think he got a cross in all game

klimskady
16-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
well maybe I should have listened to the radio then:rolleyes:

No need to be sarky Godders.

EMLEY EAGLE
16-08-2008, 05:57 PM
well maybe I should have listened to the radio then:rolleyes:

I think we all should have done....

ZOHAR
16-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Preston midfielders Billy Nicholson and Richard Chaplow's second half strikes inflicted Palace's first defeat of the season in a lively encounter at Deepdale.

In a game which was largely dominated by Alan Irvine's men, the Scotland midfielder rifled home a rebound after Neil Mellor's initital effort was blocked on the line, before Chaplow turned Paddy McCarthy in the box before slotting home in injury time.

Lee Hills missed both of Palace's best chances on either side of half-time.

After a cagey start Danny Butterfield was forced into an opportunity saving challenge as Neil Mellor threatened to burst through the heart of Palace's back-four, and the away side had the former Grimsby man to thank again in the 12th minute after Sean St Ledger's goalbound strike from Barry Nicholson's corner was blocked on line by the right-back.

Chris Sedgewick hit his first time volley from Simon Whaley's cross into the ground on 32 minutes as Preston totally dominated the opening 30 minutes without turning their possession into clear cut chances.

Hills tested the keeper for the first time on 37 minutes after cutting inside Billy Jones after Butterfield's deep cross - but his firm strike was comfortably parried away by Andy Lonergan

Nick Carle come inches away from giving Palace an undeserved lead two minutes later after his right-footed 20 yard drive flew just over Lonergan's bar.

Hills should have given Palace a half-time lead but his point blank effort from six yards was saved by Lonergan on the stroke of half-time
Preston continued their dominance at the start of the second half and threatened to take the lead five minutes after the restart when Matt Lawrence failed to deal with Nicholson's deep cross leaving McKenna alone at the back post to have a free strike at goal from 10 yards - but his venomous goalbound drive hit Butterfield square on the back.

Nicholson eventually gave Preston a deserved lead on 57 minutes after Neil Mellor's strike was blocked on the line by McCarthy leaving the Scotland midfielder to lash home the rebound from 10 yards.

Hills came so close to restoring parity two minutes later after cutting inside Jones again before unleashing a strike from 12 yards that was well saved by Lonergan.

Scowcroft had a strong penalty appeal turned down 17 minutes into the second half after he was clearly pushed by Lonergan - but referee Mr Woolmer for some reason didn't point to the spot.

The former Ipswich striker then forced Lonergan to tip over his long range on 75 minutes before Hill saw his close range effort from Butterfield's cross was somehow deflected over. But Chaplow secured the three points for the home side.

Preston: Lonergan, Jones, Mawene, St. Ledger, Davidson (Hart 73), Whaley, McKenna, Sedgwick, Chaplow, Mellor, Nicholson.
Subs Not Used: Chris Neal, Hawley, Carter, Wallace.

Goals: Nicholson 58, Chaplow 90.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Butterfield, McCarthy, Lawrence, Hill, Oster (Ifill 83), Soares, Derry, Carle (Andrew 74), Hills (Moses 66), Scowcroft.
Subs Not Used: Fonte, Ertl.

Booked: Hill, Hills.

Att: 14,225

Ref: Keith Woolmer (Northamptonshire).

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/palacelatest/Palace-downed-Preston/article-272910-detail/article.html

ZOHAR
16-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock felt "bitterly let down" by referee Andy Woolmer following his side's 2-0 defeat at Coca-Cola Championship promotion rivals Preston.

Former Aberdeen midfielder Barry Nicholson opened the scoring for North End in the 58th minute, but the Eagles were denied the opportunity to equalise five minutes later when home goalkeeper Andy Lonergan shoved James Scowcroft in the back inside the box.

As Scowcroft lay on the ground, Palace's players appealed vehemently for a penalty - only for Woolmer to ignore the claims and leave Warnock fuming pitchside.

The controversial former Sheffield United manager's misery was compounded when Richard Chaplow claimed a clinical late second goal to seal Preston's victory.

Rival counterpart Alan Irvine admitted afterwards it was a "definite penalty", which merely added to Warnock's agony.

Warnock said: "Alan has seen it hasn't he? He's not daft.

"Lonergan came down the tunnel and said it was a penalty so what can you do?

"When you talk about respect, officials have got to learn respect.

"I expect officials to see something as blatant as that. It's not just one arm, it was two arms in the back of him, and I could see it on the halfway line.

"You've got to be strong and know what you're doing as officials.

"I feel bitterly let down today because a sad day.

"If we had got the penalty we would have been in the ascendancy because they created nothing and didn't hurt us.

"I never felt threatened by them but once again the major decisions have hurt us.

"Even in the build-up to their second goal, the referee missed a handball from Paul McKenna."

Warnock also suggested Preston striker Neil Mellor was guilty of diving.

"Mellor should have been in Beijing with young Tom (Daley) and how he's not got a yellow card is beyond me," added Warnock.

Preston boss Irvine said: "I thought it was a penalty. I haven't seen it again but my first impression was that it was a penalty.

"I had a look at the referee straight away and I thought it was definitely a penalty in my eyes.

"It would have been harsh on us because I thought we were by far the better team for most of the game.

"But they are big moments - game-changing moments - although I thought we could have had a penalty as well."

Nicholson, who joined North End on a Bosman transfer from Aberdeen in July, hit the back of the net with a low shot in the 58th minute after Callum Davidson's cross caused panic in the Palace defence.

His fellow midfielder Chaplow added the second in the closing stages to make sure of Preston's third win of the season in all competitions.

Defender Davidson may not join up with the Scotland squad for Wednesday's friendly against Northern Ireland after sustaining a knee injury.

Irvine added: "I'll speak to (Scotland manager) George Burley but it's disappointing for Callum."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/08/16/SOCCER_Preston_2nd_Nightlead.html

jobiinthelastmi
16-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Buy a damn striker and our seasons results won't be in the ref's hands......... We can say should have won a penalty, but score goals and you don't need them.

nicknackpalace
16-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Just back to sunny Cumbria. Too much hoof, Scowcroft isolated up front. Poor first half which PNE bossed. Played better after they scored but a goal never looked likely.

Speroni, - 7 had little to do
Butterfield, - 8 some great blocks and saving tacknles
McCarthy, 7 ok
Lawrence, 7 - solid
Hill, 7 - ok
Oster 4 - anonymous
(Ifill 83), - litle impact
Soares, - 6 some good bits but needed to take game by the scuff of the neck
Derry, 7½ - ok
Carle 8 - couldn't understand why he was taken off
(Andrew 74), - 3 -fish out of water
Hills - 6 anonymous
(Moses 66), 6½ - showed some urgencyno end product
Scowcroft. 6 - his flick ons went nowhere (not necessarily his fault, he tried his best)

Warnock 3 - wrong tactics, wrong formation, wrong substitutions

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by nicknackpalace
Just back to sunny Cumbria. Too much hoof, Scowcroft isolated up front. Poor first half which PNE bossed. Played better after they scored but a goal never looked likely.

McCarthy, 7 ok
Lawrence, 7 - solid
Hill, 7 - ok
Oster 4 - anonymous
Derry, 7½ - ok
Hills - 6 anonymous
Scowcroft. 6 - his flick ons went nowhere (not necessarily his fault, he tried his best)

••••••• ridiculous team selection.

Where were Scannell and Fletcher?

Why didn't Moses start? Do we want to score goals or not? When you play a guy who no other club wants (Oster) and Hills (a defender) as a left sided support striker, then you're asking to get beat.

We didn't deserve to win with that team NW put out. It was a bottle job and far too defensive.

Sounds like Butts was magnificent though. Lots of blocks and lots of crosses for all our best moments.

NW played for a draw and got what he deserved.

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
Buy a damn striker and our seasons results won't be in the ref's hands......... We can say should have won a penalty, but score goals and you don't need them.

Our best striker sat on the bench. Our second best striker didnt even make the bench!

Godstone Eagle
16-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR

Warnock also suggested Preston striker Neil Mellor was guilty of diving.

"Mellor should have been in Beijing with young Tom (Daley) [/url]

:D

SJ'sLoveMonkey
16-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Why didn't Moses start? Do we want to score goals or not? When you play a guy who no other club wants (Oster) and Hills (a defender) as a left sided support striker, then you're asking to get beat.

We didn't deserve to win with that team NW put out. It was a bottle job and far too defensive.

Sounds like Butts was magnificent though. Lots of blocks and lots of crosses for all our best moments.

Totally agree with that

Falco
16-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Agreed. Very disappointed with the selection. Warnock turned us round last year by being bold and positive. This looked a bottle job.

lightweight
16-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Not the best performance but had the pen been given it might have been a different story

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 07:02 PM

So you think Moses needs replacing?

We don't need a striker; we need to play those that are already here.

I assume Sean Scannell is injured. Otherwise it's an absolute disgrace him not making the bench.

Fully NW's fault. I'm not going to blame the lack of strikers when NW fails to start the best striker in our squad.

I'd like neil to come out and apologise to the fans for ••••••• up. I'm pissed off to put it mildly.

jobiinthelastmi
16-08-2008, 07:11 PM
So you think Moses needs replacing?

We don't need a striker; we need to play those that are already here.

I assume Sean Scannell is injured. Otherwise it's an absolute disgrace him not making the bench.

Fully NW's fault. I'm not going to blame the lack of strikers when NW fails to start the best striker in our squad.

I'd like neil to come out and apologise to the fans for ••••••• up. I'm pissed off to put it mildly.

No! definatly not

Moses wide, Scannell wide and two new strikers........

Either Moses or Scannell can both go upfront, but that means Ifill has to play (well try to play).

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 07:31 PM

He made little headway and was playng as a second leftback. Don't think he got a cross in all game

That's probably Scowie's fault as well.

Where were Moses, Scannell, Thomas?? Even Freedman should start ahead of playing a left-back there!

Sick Bucket
16-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm in Spain but even I can see that if we don't sign a decent replacement for CM we are going to be in trouble, you can't expect a couple of teenagers to do it for you, I'm sure NW knows that better than any of us, which is probably why he left them on the bench, the fact we haven't been able to sign a replacement might not be entirely NW fault either, perhaps if SJ answered his phone it might help. That said I don't see many better replacements queuing up to take NW or SJ's positions so it might just be worth giving them a bit of support.

Barbara4003
16-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Our best striker sat on the bench. Our second best striker didnt even make the bench!

Are you referring to Moses as our best striker and Scannel as our second best striker?

On what do you base this on then. I know they are good but they're hardly proven to justify being our best strikers really.

Take a chill pill and calm down - you're doing your blood pressure no good at all ;)

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds like Soares played well. And Butterfield's form is encouraging.

I've calmed down now :p

Barbara4003
16-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Sounds like Soares played well. And Butterfield's form is encouraging.

I've calmed down now :p

Good. It's all very well being passionate about your team, but in the grand scheme of things, it's only a football match :)

Shipp Ahoy!
16-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Neil stop whinging and if you get the team to a point we deserve something from a game then maybe you can moan when something doesn't go our way!

Jordan's Jacket
16-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Sometimes I get the impression that NW spends more time thinking about his post match "witicisms" than tactics. I'm getting a bit bored of his "amusing" comments and just wish he could at least try and get us playing mildly entertaining football.

Crunchie
16-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm pissed off to put it mildly.

I gathered that :p

It was a shame after our turn around in the second half on Tuesday night, that Fletcher didn't start allowing Carle to get forward more often. He wasn't on the bench though which suprised me. Would have like Fonte to start instead of Lawerence

We need a couple of strikers thats for sure to compliment our front 3.

Heres hoping that Lee and (one from Webber or Jerome) can join us with the Watson money we need.

Who Cares?
16-08-2008, 08:16 PM
That's probably Scowie's fault as well.

Where were Moses, Scannell, Thomas?? Even Freedman should start ahead of playing a left-back there!

The "left-back" played there in the league game at Bristol last season, scored and would been part of a winning team if the ref had done his job.

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Play good strikers that are already in your squad and you don 't need to buy new ones.

By saying what you are, you're basically saying you don't think Moses (and scannell if he wasn't injured) is good enough.

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Neil stop whinging and if you get the team to a point we deserve something from a game then maybe you can moan when something doesn't go our way!

agreed.

PJJY
16-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Play good strikers that are already in your squad and you don 't need to buy new ones.

By saying what you are, you're basically saying you don't think Moses (and scannell if he wasn't injured) is good enough.

Do you honestly think we don't need to buy any new strikers?

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PJJY
Do you honestly think we don't need to buy any new strikers?

I don't think it's as pressing as NW's tactics which were abysmal.

I'd like to see Sinclair back here, and a goalscoring targetman, but not playing Moses, especially with Scannell missing, is ridiculous.

PJJY
16-08-2008, 09:07 PM

I'd like to see Sinclair back here, and a goalscoring targetman, but not playing Moses, especially with Scannell missing, is ridiculous.

I think NW's tactics today highlighted are need for something different to Scowcroft upfront and our urgent need for a striker.

Moses wasn't great against Watford and was apparently quite poor against Hereford.

Can't blame him for dropping him (although I wish he was more quick to drop others) IMO

CHERRY TREE BRB
16-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Just back and here's some honest ratings

Speroni 5
Butterfield 9 MOM
Lawrence 7
McCarthy 4
Hill 4
Derry 4
Carle 4
Soares 5
Hills 5
Oster 4
Scowcroft 4

Ifill 4
Andrew 5
Moses 5

Absolutely awful, we've completely lost our shape and the spine of our team has gone. 2 Players can emerge with any sort of credit today, the rest were shocking!

palace & proud
16-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB

Speroni 5
Butterfield 9 MOM
Lawrence 7
McCarthy 4
Hill 4
Derry 4
Carle 4
Soares 5
Hills 5
Oster 4
Scowcroft 4

Ifill 4
Andrew 5
Moses 5

Absolutely awful, we've completely lost our shape and the spine of our team has gone. 2 Players can emerge with any sort of credit today, the rest were shocking!

Worse than Watford?

Surely Neil will bring in a striker by the Burnley game?

GDP
16-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Moses and Scannell are too young to play every game thats just a fact. Why Moses wasn't rested during the week to be ready for today is a different matter.

Malakite
16-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Buy a damn striker

Clinton Morrison?

palace & proud
16-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Start with Kuqi :D

PJJY
16-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Butterfield 9 MOM
Lawrence 7

I struggle to see how you can expect people to think these are honest and serious with you not being able to see a fault in the limited Matt Lawrence (and criticise McCarthy - our best player against Watford)

How can he get a 7 (and Butterfield a 9!) when we conceded two goals and let Preston create alot of chances?

CHERRY TREE BRB
16-08-2008, 09:30 PM
If Matt had a bad game, he would of got a 4-5 like the rest of them. Butterfield looked our most dangerous player all afternoon- and he's a full back!
Matt was solid as ever, mopping up after the woeful McCarthy time and time again, time to start Fonte, and I'm in no way a big fan!

eagleforlife
16-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Speroni - 6
Butterfield - 8.5
Hill - 5.5
Lawrence - 6.5
McCarthy - 5.5
Derry - 5.5
Soares - 6
Carle - 6
Oster - 4
Hills - 5.5
Scowcroft - 5

Subs:
Moses - 5
Andrew - 5
Ifill - 4

limited_edition

I'd like to see Sinclair back here, and a goalscoring targetman, but not playing Moses, especially with Scannell missing, is ridiculous. I can understand Griffit because he may not have received international clearance in time, can understand Djalili because NW might just be blooding him in the CC to try him out in the first team with little pressure, but I just can't understand Scannell's absence from the squad unless injured.

And all to make way for a man who can barely run this season, Paul Ifill on the bench. It's time NW stopped doing an ID and PT, including underperforming favourites in the squad.

palace & proud
Lawerence is average, nothing special :)

nicknackpalace
Originally posted by PJJY
I struggle to see how you can expect people to think these are honest and serious with you not being able to see a fault in the limited Matt Lawrence.

How can he get a 7 (and Butterfield a 9!) when we conceded two goals and let Preston create alot of chances?

Considering the woeful work of the midfield, the defenders were left with a lot to do. In fact depite conceding two, i thought the defence did farly well. Most of the other chances they had were half chances - i don't think Speroni had much to do - in fact suprisingly there keeper probablyhad more actual saves to make. So some credit to the defence.

Dorking .Eagle
16-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Speroni 6
Butterfield 8
Lawrence 4
McCarthy 5
Hill 4
Derry 4
Carle 5
Soares 2
Hills 4
Oster 4
Scowcroft 4

Ifill 2
Andrew 2
Moses 4

But for Butterfield's early goal line clearance this game would have been over barely before it started. He had so much to do 1st half sorting out the chaos around him. Still hoofs it away too much for my liking.

Soares was shocking today, rather than look for the best option whenever he got the ball he simply looked to get rid of it to regardless of whether it added anything to any sort of attacking move.

Lee Hills lightweight and innefective.

Scowcroft up front - change the record Warnock, it's not working. Still think he's carrying too much weight - loads of high balls he didn't bother to jump for.

Oster a shadow of his performance on Tuesday.

Carle was on a different wavelength to his teammates - it's no good trying backheel passes if those you think you are passing to have no idea what you are about to do and don't move into position to receive the passes.

I said at half time, we'd so blatently only come for a draw. Yes the push on Scowie was a pen, but even with that we still deserved to lose.

If we don't beat Burnley we've got major problems, as they're already the whipping boys of the division.

I'd get Watson back in the starting XI as a first measure - it's ridiculous we aren't playing him because we're holding out for an extra 500k - especially as we got the AJ windfall this summer.

As quick as Warnock has cleared out the Taylor crap, it's starting to look like he's building up his own fresh collection (Danns, Andrew, Thomas, Flahavan...)

eagleforlife
16-08-2008, 09:33 PM
If Matt had a bad game, he would of got a 4-5 like the rest of them. Butterfield looked our most dangerous player all afternoon- and he's a full back!
Matt was solid as ever, mopping up after the woeful McCarthy time and time again, time to start Fonte, and I'm in no way a big fan!

Do you just make all this up about Lennie to annoy us because I'm sure you must be joking?

CHERRY TREE BRB
16-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
Lawerence is average, nothing special :)

McCarthy is shocking, nowhere near average!!

rbarmy
16-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by nicknackpalace

McCarthy, 7 ok
Lawrence, 7 - solid
Hill, 7 - ok
Oster 4 - anonymous
Derry, 7½ - ok
Hills - 6 anonymous

We are not long back and I agree with most of this, only I thought Oster was a lot better in the second half (I guess Neil had a few words) and IMO Soares showed his class, again mostly in the second half. Scowcroft won so much, but as you say, the flick-ons (and there were lots) never seemed to go to anyone - surely this is something that should be practised on the training ground? Time and again, balls in useful places were wasted largely because there was no-one apparently looking for them

I too found the removal of Carle strange, I guess there has to be another reason, as up to the point he went off we were just beginning to look dangerous

On the whole, I don't think it's a case for doom and gloom, and the 2-0 result was not indicative of our part in the game, other than that we were hit on the break once we were chasing the game

CHERRY TREE BRB
16-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by eagleforlife
Do you just make all this up about Lennie to annoy us because I'm sure you must be joking?

First choice at CB and rightfully so, I'm glad NW agrees with me, even if nobody on here does!

palace & proud
16-08-2008, 09:36 PM
McCarthy is shocking, nowhere near average!!

LOL :D

What you expect from Charlton :o

Celestial Empire
16-08-2008, 09:40 PM

From the commentary we were listening to, he sounded one of the better players.

Barbara, I didn't watch the game either, but the press reports are unanimous that that was a dire, toothless, v Watford type performance.
Live commentary is usually nonsense.
I'm also not at all amused by NW's pathetic attempt to divert attention away from his gash team performance, by droning on about refs and pointing the finger at other team's players.:S:

Barbara4003
16-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Barbara, I didn't watch the game either, but the press reports are unanimous that that was a dire, toothless, v Watford type performance.
Live commentary is usually nonsense.
I'm also not at all amused by NW's pathetic attempt to divert attention away from his gash team performance, by droning on about refs and pointing the finger at other team's players.:S:

It was just that the way we heard it, Hills had a couple shots at goal, so didn't understand why he was rated down so low. :)

nicknackpalace
16-08-2008, 09:48 PM
It was just that the way we heard it, Hills had a couple shots at goal, so didn't understand why he was rated down so low. :)

Having a couple of shots doesn't make up for an overall mediocre performance

Celestial Empire
16-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Yes, I understand. The Sporting Life report describes both of those shots.
(and nicknack is correct of course). ;)

rbarmy
16-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Personally I thought Hills did OK - apart from the two shots you have described he came back to defend on numerous occasions, and got stuck in too when it mattered, earning himself a booking. You have to remember a) how young he is and b) the lack of attacking options we had for most of the first half, but on the whole him and his near namesake kept that side of the pitch quite tidy, and most of their meaningful attacks were switched to the other side

Skid Row
16-08-2008, 10:00 PM
First choice at CB and rightfully so, I'm glad NW agrees with me, even if nobody on here does!
Lawrence isnt a footballers asshole.

JohnA
16-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I though Butterfield was weak last week so I take a positive from the comments above.

rbarmy
16-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
I though Butterfield was weak last week so I take a positive from the comments above.

Quite rightly - he was immense. MOM without a doubt

Ruskin Old Boy
16-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Just back ... all that way to see a poor Palace performance, strikingly similar to Palace under Taylor, negative and uninspiring.

Butterfield was my man of the match, kept his head while all about him were losing their's.

Not to replace Morrison before the season started is nothing short of carelessness, Scowcroft did his best - no-one latched on to any of his flick-on's - had a great short tipped over, should have had a penalty (though who would have taken it ...).

Oster was a massive disappointment after his good show on Tuesday. Lawrence didn't do badly but Hill looked weak at left back. Midfield looked weak again; we needed Fletcher today working with Derry who hasn't regained last season's form, rather than Carle and Soares getting in one another's way.

Cannot see why Warnock persists with Ifill.

One bonus, we had the opportunity to applaud Mike Elwiss at half time.

etu
16-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Two out of three from Ifill, Fletcher and Danns seems likely. Or maybe he'll have lost his patience with Watson. I can't see any point in formally transfer listing Dougie. I'd rather Fletcher wasn't one of them, but Warnock doesn't seem to rate him.

Also, Preston fans on a forum I use seem to reckon we played well. Just thought I'd share that.

Hedgehog
16-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Did Alan Irvine get any kind of reception?

Celestial Empire
16-08-2008, 11:11 PM
After watching Lee Johnson for Bristol City tonight, even the stuttering Nick Carle we have seen so far, looks better.

CPFC_DAVE77
16-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I dont dislike Lawrence, but how is he in the team ahead of Fonte. This baffles me.

Clapham Grand
16-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Absolutely awful, we've completely lost our shape and the spine of our team has gone.

Hudson-Watson-Morrison?

Ruskin Old Boy
16-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
Did Alan Irvine get any kind of reception?

There wasn't an opportunity - Mike Elwiss was one of the Preston greats presented on the pitch at half time; Sir Tom Finney got the biggest cheer.

Oh, and their pre-match entertainment was piss-poor.

Bartman
16-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I find it truly astounding that a Championship side can actually have the gall to put out a team and expect people to pay to travel and watch when it doesn't have a genuine striker. CFs are the players that excite the fans, and can provide the spark the ignites the passion in the rest of the lads.

I'ma big advocate of our beloved Chairman, but I can only assume he is sick to the back teeth of football if he's willing to let this happen. It's apathy at it's finest. Either that or he is really enjoying being a dad and now has some perspective isn't it.

David
16-08-2008, 11:41 PM
It really gets on my nerves when people say it's only two games, well yes that's true, but when you see people getting back at gone 11pm - they deserve more, whether it's 15 games into the season or 2.

Warnock has left me very concerned about the season, I had high hopes for this season but his failure to find a striker better than Clinton is a huge problem for us.

rbarmy
16-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by David
It really gets on my nerves when people say it's only two games, well yes that's true, but when you see people getting back at gone 11pm - they deserve more, whether it's 15 games into the season or 2.

Warnock has left me very concerned about the season, I had high hopes for this season but his failure to find a striker better than Clinton is a huge problem for us.

It is early days to be fair David - it's not like we haven't been trying to sign anyone (BTW how the f*ck can it take 6 hrs to drive back from Preston - I've been back since 9:00!)

glaziers fan
16-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
I can understand Griffit because he may not have received international clearance in time, can understand Djalili because NW might just be blooding him in the CC to try him out in the first team with little pressure, but I just can't understand Scannell's absence from the squad unless injured.

And all to make way for a man who can barely run this season, Paul Ifill on the bench. It's time NW stopped doing an ID and PT, including underperforming favourites in the squad.

Scannell, Moses and even Freedman should all be ahead of Oster and Ifill and Hills as a striker.

I don't understand how Freedman is finished and yet Lawrence is not? Makes no sense.

Even Thomas would have been better than Hills. I know you like him there, but he's better coming forward from deep where he is not picked up on the overlap. he doesn't have the skill to beat his man one on one regularly enough.

Very negative and very bizarre team selections.

I'm expecting a much improved line-up for the next game. Luckily we didn't win with those abysmal tactics, which means things will surely improve.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle

As quick as Warnock has cleared out the Taylor crap, it's starting to look like he's building up his own fresh collection (Danns, Andrew, Thomas, Flahavan...)

Harsh on Thomas who's from non-league and has a good scoring record for us already.

In fact harsh on all of those you mentioned, but your point does serve to highlight that the players we're bringing in are getting in the way of the youngster's development.

We're bringing in journeymen like Oster and not playing Scannell. This is precisely the reason I'm not bothered if we keep the squad thin and don't sign anybody. I'd rather have Scannell in and not waste the money.

He played loads of games last season. No reason he cant do the same this season. if anything I thought he looked even better in pre-season and he was outstanding vs Brizzle in 2nd leg. We need him.

rbarmy
17-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Scannell, Moses and even Freedman should all be ahead of Oster and Ifill and Hills as a striker.

I don't understand how Freedman is finished and yet Lawrence is not? Makes no sense.

Even Thomas would have been better than Hills. I know you like him there, but he's better coming forward from deep where he is not picked up on the overlap. he doesn't have the skill to beat his man one on one regularly enough.

Very negative and very bizarre team selections.

I'm expecting a much improved line-up for the next game. Luckily we didn't win with those abysmal tactics, which means things will surely improve.

Despite what Barbara says, you really do talk a lot of shite - try going to a few games, it would give your opinions greater weight

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by rbarmy
You have to remember the lack of attacking options we had for most of the first half

You were there. I was not. We've come to the same conclusion. So why slate me for saying we were too negative on the other thread?

It doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Lee Hills is a defender. he should be playing there or not at all.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Despite what Barbara says, you really do talk a lot of shite - try going to a few games, it would give your opinions greater weight

Oh slating me on this thread too.

We've come to same conclusions, and I've been to most of pre-season games. So please do explain how I am talking 'shite' in my assessment of the line-up??

ALL I have said is that we were negative.

You have said yourself that we lacked attacking threats. I don't see what your gripe is. Please explain.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by David

Moses?

rbarmy
17-08-2008, 12:08 AM
You were there. I was not. We've come to the same conclusion. So why slate me for saying we were too negative on the other thread?

It doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Lee Hills is a defender. he should be playing there or not at all.

Really? I saw him playing on the wing to great effect at Loftus Rd last season - he is young, fast, not unskillful, and as your signature says 'the future' - why do you pigeon-hole him into one position at such an early stage in his career?

Jim Cannon
17-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

Such a shame he got injured back in 1978, he could have been up there in the CPFC Hall of Fame.:sob:

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Bartman
I find it truly astounding that a Championship side can actually have the gall to put out a team and expect people to pay to travel and watch when it doesn't have a genuine striker. CFs are the players that excite the fans, and can provide the spark the ignites the passion in the rest of the lads.

I'ma big advocate of our beloved Chairman, but I can only assume he is sick to the back teeth of football if he's willing to let this happen. It's apathy at it's finest. Either that or he is really enjoying being a dad and now has some perspective isn't it.

I agree. i feel for the fans that went with no Moses and Scannell to excite you.

You guys should be even more pissed off than me!

But surely SJ doesn't pick the team. What the hell has it got to do with him that NW didn't pick our most talented forward?? Why is everyone being so kind to NW? I know he's done a brilliant job, but that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism for the whole season.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Really? I saw him playing on the wing to great effect at Loftus Rd last season - he is young, fast, not unskillful, and as your signature says 'the future' - why do you pigeon-hole him into one position at such an early stage in his career?

I've only seen him play there 2 or 3 times, but on those occasions I didn't think he had the beating of his full-back. I think he has to do it regularly if he's to become a winger. I can't see it myself. After all, I have seen him play better as a central defender for the youths than as a left winger.

I think he's an outstanding full-back in the making and playing him at left wing where there's more pressure on him to get forward and where is more heavily marked might rock his confidence of advancing up the pitch.

Personally I think Moses has done a good job on the left for us and is more of a threat. You obviously disagree, but the game's all about opinions:p

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Hudson-Watson-Morrison?

NW wants Scowie ahead of Clinton.

He also prefers McCarthy to Hudson (there's certainly not much difference in my eyes), and there's fonte and Hill to play there too so it's not all doom and gloom.

As for Watson, he's a big miss, but hopefully in 2 weeks time he will be playing.:p

Any ideas who the transfer listed players are Clapham?????

rbarmy
17-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I've only seen him play there 2 or 3 times, but on those occasions I didn't think he had the beating of his full-back. I think he has to do it regularly if he's to become a winger. I can't see it myself. After all, I have seen him play better as a central defender for the youths than as a left winger.

I think he's an outstanding full-back in the making and playing him at left wing where there's more pressure on him to get forward and where is more heavily marked might rock his confidence of advancing up the pitch.

Personally I think Moses has done a good job on the left for us and is more of a threat. You obviously disagree, but the game's all about opinions:p

Fair comment, though I was unaware he had played on the wing so often.

As regards slating your comments, when you come out with 'crap right winger' and 'I don't ever want to see this boring, negative and dull formation' and then go on to say you haven't actually seen the team play this season it does come across as being a bit over the top - I actually thought that the team played pretty positive football for most of the game today, and that we were unlucky not to get the draw - we played some good football at times, their second goal was on the break, and we were definitely denied a penalty. Still, as you say, it is all about opinions. I just can't stand people slating my team and the players. I'm sure that it's because you want Palace to do well, but give them a chance - we are only two games into the season and there's a long way to go

FK II ?
:o

Oh south london
17-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by palace & proud

Surely Neil will bring in a striker by the Burnley game? [/B]

We can but hope.

Jim Cannon
17-08-2008, 12:40 AM

Hill to play there too

???

I look forward to the day when Clint Hill actually gets to play regularly in his normal position of CB. Maybe NW thinks he's better off as an LB because so far he hasn't had a red card?

Nelson Muntz
17-08-2008, 06:57 AM
It's strage that when Warnock was at Sheff Utd he bought every striker that was on the market.
Here we have none.

FromSelhurst
17-08-2008, 07:18 AM

As for Watson, he's a big miss, but hopefully in 2 weeks time he will be playing.:p

cant see it happening.

warnock's stance on this i believe has been dreadful and he has alienated ben from many fans. ben has never came out and demanded a move or anything like that even thought he could face a season frozen out. its probably the case having spoke to ben that palaces ambitions dont match his.

the digger
17-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Seems to me that we might be paying the price for NW's slightly strange attitude to pre-season/friendlies. We seem disorganised, unsure of our best formation, and forced to play players who are unfit and out of position. (typing that I am reminded of the PT era!).

I wasn't at the game yesterday, so can someone please describe how we set up? Were Oster and Hills playing off Scowie, like vs Watford? Or as wingers with Carle supporting JS, like 2nd half vs Hereford? Or did we have no shape, like whenever Ifill has been on the pitch?

While I don't like his tone, I can (kind of) see what GF is saying. It would obviously be great to have a ready made 20 goal striker in the squad but, on current evidence, where would Warnock play them? Until someone is signed surely we should be playing the best we have, or what we have in their best positions.

Ron Dogers
17-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Is anybody in the slightest bit surprised at where we currently stand?

We have spent under 100k on 2 strikers to augment Scowy who anyone can see is totally unsuited to a lone striker role, he does not have that level of pace or an eye for goal, he is a good championship level targetman to play in a 442.

We Cannot buy a goal, because SJ won't or more probably cannot afford to stay in the bidding for the pacier, more mobile strikers we have been linked with and now are doing the stuff for the clubs who tried harder to get them.

Exactly, even allowing for the 5-10 per season Scowy averages, how many league goals do our current squad, yet alone 1st eleven scored in their entire careers?

We have an ok defence providing we do not persist in the caveman hoof football that sees them immediately under pressure about 20 seconds from us winning the ball.

The midfield looks decent, again if we try to use them.

Upfront we are woefully short and if we have to play 433 we simply do not have the personnel to even attempt it.

I would play this team as a straight 442 only unless/until the vitally urgent striker issue is resolved or I think we could stay where we are and drop down a few places.

Jules
Butts Clint Fonte Paddy
Derry Carle (in the tigerish Hughesy role) Ben (we are still paying him and have nobody better) Oster
Scowy Victor

Hills Scannell Jon E Lawro Tom on the bench

Jordan's Jacket
17-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Main problem is NW selection and tactics. We have a good midfield, a poor central defence pairing and nothing up front.

Get the team playing through the midfield where we have talent. Put Fonte in who at least can pass to a midfielder and stop this ridiculous hoofing......it will drive the fans away of that you can be certain

Al From Bromley
17-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I hate to say it as I actually felt he would be good for the club, but I get the feeling that Warnock's persona is starting to influence itself a bit too much. Several decent players gone, another couple of players being chucked on the transfer list, Doogie not taking up a coaching role, Watson on his way, Scowcroft ploughing a lone furrow becuase the club can't attract any strikers of note, the modern day equivalents of Dean Wordsworth being bought for peanuts in Andrew and Thomas - it doesn;t look good. As someone said above, i too get tired of people saying 'relax, it's only two games'. There ios very little feelgood factor around. The squad is one that you are more hopeful of the likes of Moses or carle performing, rathe rthan assured, and as long as they play one up front you can expect similar performances and results to the one yesterday. I hope Warnock knows where he is heading as I was all for him coming to Palace but with Jordan wanting to sell and an average squad with a gaping hole up front, it doesn't bode well for the immediate future at least. if Watford and preston are a yardstick, then midtable would be a result come April.

Maz
17-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
There ios very little feelgood factor around.

I really feel it is a bit premature to start saying things like this.

No, really too soon.

Al From Bromley
17-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe, and I hope I am wrong, but it all seems very lacklustre at the moment. I sometimes think some fans have got into the habit of giving Palace too much of the benefit of the doubt. Preston and Watford are hardly worldbeaters, yet in two games, Palace's aspirations/season's chances, unless they bolster the squad pretty soon, are apparent. Mid-table would be a result, unless another Dowiesque or even Warnockesque miracle appears on the horizon around Christmas. Only my humble opinion but I don;t see a squad that is packed full of the sort of talent needed to get the club out of the Championship. It;s another season of consolidation i think.

steve hail
17-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Under the circumstances, I wonder if a little eating of humble pie and one more season of Mr Freedman might be appropriate.

He at least knows where the goal is, and I'm not sure how he could be so good for Leeds last year and not worth any consideration now.

The 433 with a non-scoring target man and two largely non-scoring wide-men, and a strategy of hoofing the ball over the heads of the most talented players seems from this distance to be a losing one.

Though if Mr Warnock genuinely believes differently, I am prepared to wait patiently for the results of his game plan.

James
17-08-2008, 11:12 AM
If Freedman is the answer, then I am not entirely sure that I fully understand the question.

sw16girl
17-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by James
If Freedman is the answer, then I am not entirely sure that I fully understand the question.

Who can we play who might score a goal and provides a bit of variety and who will not cost us any extra money?

James
17-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks.

steve hail
17-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Who is easily the most talented striker currently employed by whoever owns CPFC?

PJJY
17-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Victor Moses?

pauldrulez
17-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Victor Moses.

steve hail
17-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't think Victor Moses is first and foremost a striker. If I had said 'player' you would have been right.

Play him as a central striker and he is out of position.

pauldrulez
17-08-2008, 11:30 AM
No he is not.

He has always been a striker. I played against him when I was 11 and he played as a striker and killed us in extra time to win 4-0.
In the academy, he has been a frequent goalscorer throughout his whole career and if allowed to play in his correct position he would score more than running at people.

Same with Scannell.

steve hail
17-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I bow to your greater knowledge. Let's see them murdering CCC defences as soon as possible.

Maz
17-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by steve hail
Though if Mr Warnock genuinely believes differently, I am prepared to wait patiently for the results of his game plan.

Which is the correct answer.

It's typical BBS, so it shouldn't amuse me as much as it does : but there are so many posters, each claiming that they know the magic answer that they say eludes NW.

Personally, I am happy to admit that NW knows more about football and the team than I do : and that he actually does have a plan.

And, knowing his record, it will be a good plan ; not guaranteed to get us to top of the division, but hopefully close. And just because we've had two lacklustre games does not diminish that plan. (After all, Watford fans spent most of last season thinking they were the bee's knees : and we know where that got them).

(And by the way; congratulations to Hull).

Owngoal
17-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Ratings from NOTW - interesting to hear from those who were there how accurate these are

Speroni 7
Butterfield 7
Lawrence 7
McCarthy 6
Hill 6

Oster 6
Soares 7
Carle 8
Derry 6
Hills 7
Scowcroft 6

Ifill 5
Moses 5
Andrew 6

limited_edition
17-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Under the circumstances, I wonder if a little eating of humble pie and one more season of Mr Freedman might be appropriate.

He at least knows where the goal is, and I'm not sure how he could be so good for Leeds last year and not worth any consideration now.

The 433 with a non-scoring target man and two largely non-scoring wide-men, and a strategy of hoofing the ball over the heads of the most talented players seems from this distance to be a losing one.

Though if Mr Warnock genuinely believes differently, I am prepared to wait patiently for the results of his game plan. Conversely, if it doesn't work, like it didn't during our bad run last season in Feb, I hope NW has enough common sense to change his gameplan to get us to start winning again.

As for your first point, much as I love Dougie, he's a creative player, rather than a goalscorer in the last couple of years. We have players that can drop their shoulders, beat a man and create in Victor and Nicky. Really don't know where Dougie would fit in to this current line up.

Ian of Chatham
17-08-2008, 12:15 PM

Yes, in two weeks time hopefully he'll be playing....for someone else so that we might have a bit more cash for that elusive striker.

Strathclyde Eagle
17-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Thought GodstoneEagle had this pretty much right at the start of the thread. Played 4-5-1, very negative and got what we deserved.

Speroni - 6

Butterfield - 8 MOM for defending and the clearance off the line in the first half.
Lawrence - 5
McCarthy - 5 Can't say he fills me with confidence, I kept waiting for him to slice a Preston cross into our net.
Hill - 5 out to clog people yesterday. Poor main option for most of the second half distribution.

Oster - 4 Every cross hits the first man. Can he pass a ball further than five yards?
Soares - 5 Not good enough yesterday going forward.
Derry - 5 This is our best midfield anchor option? Yikes, that isn't good. Didn't do enough to influence the game yesterday.
Carle - 7 Thought he was our best player behind Butterfield in the first half. Put his foot on the ball, calmed thing down, rarely lost possesion. One half-chance made from nothing. In the second half his main role appeared to be to get the ball to Hill so he could pump it into the box. Once Preston scored we didn't use him as an attacking option at all. Pity.
Hills - 6 Third best player for us in the first half. Created a few openings.

Scowcroft - 6 Poor first half, our main threat in the second. Just about buried in the Preston six-yard box for the penalty incident.

Subs
Moses - 7 The one attacker who appeared to frighten the Preston defenders.
Andrew - 5 Ineffective.
Ifill - 6 Some good touches in his brief time on the pitch.

Warnock - 4 Negative, clearly out-thought by Irvine.The soft pre-season might be costing us as Preston were first to everything in the first half, and overall looked much sharper than us but still looked like they could have gone up a gear if needed.

Referee - 4 Gave us nothing, but frankly we didn't deserve anything.

Preston pre-match entertainent - 0 Actually worse than we were.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Fair comment, though I was unaware he had played on the wing so often.

As regards slating your comments, when you come out with 'crap right winger' and 'I don't ever want to see this boring, negative and dull formation' and then go on to say you haven't actually seen the team play this season it does come across as being a bit over the top - I actually thought that the team played pretty positive football for most of the game today, and that we were unlucky not to get the draw - we played some good football at times, their second goal was on the break, and we were definitely denied a penalty. Still, as you say, it is all about opinions. I just can't stand people slating my team and the players. I'm sure that it's because you want Palace to do well, but give them a chance - we are only two games into the season and there's a long way to go

FK II ?
:o

Oster is a journeyman. Everyone knows it. Whether he can do a job for us is still open to conjecture.

But whether we tried to play football, the point is vs Preston, even if you thought it was ok, we could have played better and been more threatening had we played with some more attacking players.

It was a negative formation, even if the 11 on the pitch tried to do their best to counteract it.

There's no point bigging everyone up when it was a SERIOUS tactical mistake from NW that cost us the points. I am expecting a much better performance next Saturday. The season starts now, and I know the players can do it :p

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
We can but hope.

Moses hopefully.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
It's strage that when Warnock was at Sheff Utd he bought every striker that was on the market.
Here we have none.

apart from the most talented striker in the division sitting on the bench.

JAT

917L
17-08-2008, 02:04 PM
apart from the most talented striker in the division sitting on the bench.

JAT

He's got along way to go to reach that position

JAT

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Who is easily the most talented striker currently employed by whoever owns CPFC?

Exactly, so all those who say we need a new striker should be working their criticisms into a different direction first of all, cos otherwise our needing of a new striker does not was.

Either they shoulkd be angry at NW for not playing Moses or they don't think he's good enough.

Only once Moses is playing can they then even begin to start the argument that we need a new striker.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Main problem is NW selection and tactics.

Can't disagree with this. Yes, a striker sometime in the future may be nice, but let's at least start off by playing Scannell and Moses.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 917L
He's got along way to go to reach that position

JAT

So you don't think Victor is the most talented striker? I'm not saying he's the best striker at the moment, I am saying that he is the most talented, ie he is going to be the best.

917L
17-08-2008, 02:57 PM
So you don't think Victor is the most talented striker? I'm not saying he's the best striker at the moment, I am saying that he is the most talented, ie he is going to be the best.

Hes got lots of ability, he might become the best, he might not

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
Yes, in two weeks time hopefully he'll be playing....for someone else so that we might have a bit more cash for that elusive striker.

Of the elsusive strikers, NW says that Scannell and Moses are so good that we wouldn't be able to afford them if they hadn't come through our academy.

So let's stop hankering over a journeyman striker that may or may not come, and start slating NW for his negative tactics and his decision not to play Moses or Scannell.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Played 4-5-1, very negative and got what we deserved.

Subs
Moses - 7 The one attacker who appeared to frighten the Preston defenders.

Warnock - 4 Negative, clearly out-thought by Irvine.

That's all you need to know. Well that, and the fact that our other star striker, Scannell, was not on the bench.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Hes got lots of ability, he might become the best, he might not

Who has got more of a chance of being better than him then? Who has more potential talent in the CCC???

917L
17-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Who has got more of a chance of being better than him then? Who has more potential talent in the CCC???

It doesnt make any differencewho has potential, it matters who succeeds in transferring their potential

The jury is still out, though he is of course very young still

trickyricky66
17-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
Clinton Morrison?
Exactly m8.

trickyricky66
17-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I can not belive we let clint go with out a c/f with some form to take his place.And we were looking so good at the end of last season with moses,clint ,sinclair.

palace_burger
17-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66
I can not belive we let clint go with out a c/f with some form to take his place.And we were looking so good at the end of last season with moses,clint ,sinclair.

exactly we did look really good. Crazy to let Clinton go, if we were in to buy him now we probably couldn't afford him!

That said Bristol City did there homework on us and that formation was completely ineffective against them in the play offs.

917L
17-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by palace_burger

That said Bristol City did there homework on us and that formation was completely ineffective against them in the play offs.

The formation worked fine and we would have gone to Wembley but for a penalty miss

trickyricky66
17-08-2008, 03:53 PM
And i reckon cov will have a good season,with some of our ex players.Just to make me feel worse enit clint

Stavros 69
17-08-2008, 04:36 PM
All this does not sound good.

If we can all see the problems:
No strikers
Poor team choice
Why can NW not see this. SJ buy us a decent striker to play with Victor and a quick pacey one and we will do well.
Give Watson a good contract as well.

917L
17-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Stavros 69
Give Watson a good contract as well.

He's been offrered a good contract, he wont sign it

<_tece_>
17-08-2008, 05:18 PM
The jury is still out.

Is it? Not for me.

917L
17-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by <_tece_>
Is it? Not for me.

What, he's already made it as far as youre concerned?

<_tece_>
17-08-2008, 05:40 PM

No, but I think he is going to make it (with a rich list of clubs keeping tabs on him, etc).

Can't say the jury's out for Moses, as you could say, for example, it is for Ryan Carolan.

IMO.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 05:44 PM

The fact that he's one of the best prospects in the CCC makes him one of the most talented players there.

Of that I am sure.

Still waiting to know of other players who you think are better prospects.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 05:45 PM
The fact that he's one of the best prospects in the CCC makes him one of the most talented players there.

Of that I am sure.

Put it this way i wouldn't swap Moses for anyone in the CCC

917L
17-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Of that I am sure.

I didnt say there were any better prospects, I said there were better strikers (of which there are plenty)

<_tece_>
17-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I didnt say there were any better prospects, I said there were better strikers (of which there are plenty)

But we've never seen Moses as a striker (in the first team) bar a few minutes vs. Hereford.

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Would you swap these 'better strikers' for Moses? In terms of talent, he has more than the 'better strikers'. That's my point. He may not be as good yet but he will be better.

Ashleyno1son
17-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I think the team and formation NW has selected for the opening two games is fine.

My only worry is that Fonte continues to be left on the bench!

LeeSinnots ears
17-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
Such a shame he got injured back in 1978, he could have been up there in the CPFC Hall of Fame.:sob:

Yep you are right, and to think he got that injury in an innocent looking challenge at of all places at Cambridge Utd just before Christmas in 1979 in a very dull 0-0 draw:sob:

Ian of Chatham
17-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Of the elsusive strikers, NW says that Scannell and Moses are so good that we wouldn't be able to afford them if they hadn't come through our academy.

So let's stop hankering over a journeyman striker that may or may not come, and start slating NW for his negative tactics and his decision not to play Moses or Scannell.
Not all proven strikers are "journeymen" as you put it, mind you even one of those is far better than pinning all of our hopes and undue pressure on two teenagers.

davematt
18-08-2008, 03:07 AM
I couldnt listen to the game as I had to work, but it sounds like first of all that NW has no idea of what system/players he considers first choice.

I find it hard to believe that Fonte isnt good enough to be starting, and find it more baffling that he drops Moses and Scannell to bring in Hills and Ifill.

Need to get back to basics and gets some consistency.

OneSize
18-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Lee Hills played left back against QPR

917L
18-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Would you swap these 'better strikers' for Moses? In terms of talent, he has more than the 'better strikers'. That's my point. He may not be as good yet but he will be better.

Moses or Kevin Phillips

I doubt Moses will ever score as many goals as Phillips has done and continues to

If being a good striker is about scoring goals and not necessarily being fantasically gifted (like Clinton for instance) then I'll take Phillips

Owngoal
18-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Croydon Guardian ratings

Julian Speroni: Not at fault for either goal and had little else to do. 7

Danny Butterfield: Marked his 200th appearance with a man of the match display. Defended gallantly and his crossing was Palace’s main threat. 8

Paddy McCarthy: Was troubled on occasions by Mellor but stood firm and won everything in the air. 7

Matt Lawrence: Up against the pace of Whalley he did well and Preston couldn’t break him down. 7

Clint Hill: Booked for a crude tackle on Chaplow in the first half but was solid. 7

Shaun Derry: Movement was good and he got stuck in in the centre of the park. 7

Tom Soares: Showed glimpses of talent but went missing too often. 6

Nick Carle: Needs space to work his magic but is finding it hard to come by. 6

Lee Hills: Tried hard and should have scored but looked out of position. 6

John Oster: Quiet league debut though his free-kicks caused some problems. 6

Jamie Scowcroft: Too often isolated upfront and looked tired. 5

SUBS:

Victor Moses (Lee Hills, 65): A few runs but didn’t really get into the game. 5

Calvin Andrew (Nick Carle, 72): Needs time to get used to the Championship. 5

Paul Ifill (John Oster, 83): Did little but get caught offside. 5

Strathclyde Eagle
18-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd say those are ridiculously generous for the most part, with the exception of Scowcroft who was much better than a 5, at least in the second half.

dufski13
18-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
Here we have none.

There all still at the Blades ! :D