PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why Scannell didn't play today?

Martin H
17-08-2008, 12:53 AM
It was mentioned a few times but he wasn't even on the bench. Does anyone know why (for real, as opposed to a barrage of NW witicisms)?

alaneagle
17-08-2008, 01:05 AM
tbh i dont think hes played well recently in the rightwing/inside foward role- and i think warnock was perfectly justified in picking oster over scannell

however dropping moses on the other hand....

ThisIsDoM
17-08-2008, 01:22 AM
I thought Scannell was pretty good against Watford...

pauldrulez
17-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Maybe he has a niggle or something, if he was totally dropped from the squad ahead of Ifill or Scowcroft then I just dont know whats going on with the club. Its like an implosion :D

glaziers fan
17-08-2008, 02:25 AM
maybe he is on transfer list

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
17-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Scannell & Moses are both just 17/18 (?) so they're not going to play all 46 games plus Cup matches ( :D ) I think NW is being very wise by using both sparingingly at this stage of the proceedings.

FromSelhurst
17-08-2008, 08:49 AM
formation doesnt suit him?? didnt do much against watford??

unless injured he is a better bench option than ifill and probably andrew though.

palace_burger
17-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ThisIsDoM
I thought Scannell was pretty good against Watford...

Indeed, I thought he looked brighter than Moses against Watford.

Was much more effective than Ifill, infact I had forgot Ifill had come on for while as he added absolutely nothing playing up front.

Oh to have Clinton to bring on and save the day and demonstrate that we need to change the formation.

limited_edition
17-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
tbh i dont think hes played well recently in the rightwing/inside foward role- and i think warnock was perfectly justified in picking oster over scannell True. But my issue is why pick a woefully out of shape Ifill on the bench over SS ?

Neckinger Eagle
17-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Not that I was at the game, but the choice of Hills may have been because he would have offered better defensive cover to Hill than Moses would. It depends on whether Warnock saw the Preston right-side as an attacking threat?

Oster is predominantly right sided, and seems to be a favoured player. He could also tuck into centre midfield if it was needed.

Out of Ifill, Moses and Scannell, Ifill provides a larger variaty of options from the bench (midfield, out wide, the Schofield position) and Moses is an obvious impact player. Warnock obviously sees something in Andrew either up front or out wide, so hence no room for Scannell yesterday.

Billyd
17-08-2008, 02:04 PM
He is over rated?!

Dazron
17-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
He is over rated?!

Yes that'll be why Warnock left him out today, because he is over rated. Well done. :p

cpfcben
18-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Played the role brilliantly against Bristol City (Away).

TheCharmer
18-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

do you just have to repeat yourself on multiple threads?

pedro
18-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by palace_burger
Indeed, I thought he looked brighter than Moses against Watford.

I cannot agree with this. Whilst you cannot question his effort there is hardly any end product to Scannell's play at present. Two or three times against Watford he gave the opposition defender two or three yards head start but still beat him to the ball however once he was in possession all he did was promptly give it back to them.
Moses on the other hand flashed a very dangerous cross shot across the goal in the first half and then hit the post when it could be argued he really should have scored.
I would expect to see Scannell on the bench far more than he starts especially if Oster stays after Christmas and Yeates ends up signing.

GDP
18-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Or maybe he was rested as he's only 17 and is not going to play every game of the season.

macstar
18-08-2008, 09:47 AM
too much on their shoulders scannell and moses. we shouldnt rely on them too much.

pauldrulez
18-08-2008, 09:55 AM
If they dont play they will go. Look at Walcott, Ramsey and Bale. All went for decent fees and they were playing in the first team.

And for them to be rested in the 3rd game, and Sean only having played 10mins on Tues makes it unlikely that he was rested.

red&blue_moomin
18-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Hes done his back. I swear there would be much less speculative rubbish posted on this board if people just listened to NW's press conferences be that off the beeb or the Palace website.

glaziers fan
19-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by red&blue_moomin
Hes done his back. I swear there would be much less speculative rubbish posted on this board if people just listened to NW's press conferences be that off the beeb or the Palace website.

Or if people posted the information, like you're doing now, sooner on the BBS.

We can't all always find all the sources all the time. Fill us in if u hear something!

JAT

Ps. cheers for the news. How long is he out for?

ZOHAR
21-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Warnock was hoping that his options up front would be boosted by the return of Sean Scannell from the back problem which saw him miss the defeat at Preston.

But the youngster has not trained in the first half of this week and looks doubtful for tomorrow’s visit of Burnley, who are also chasing their first win of the campaign.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=14235