PDA

View Full Version : Is PALACE dying on its feet?

DARREN TESTER
17-08-2008, 11:10 AM
This is merely a question , I just want peoples opinions...

With the ground in a poor state , the chairman wishing to sell up , gates down , players leaving / wishing to leave in some quarters ,no apparent money is the football club on a downward spiral ?

If so what would bring the club out of it ?

James
17-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Michael Portillo? Agilo finance?

steve hail
17-08-2008, 11:13 AM
No.

There are some excellent young players at Palace.

We also have signed an excellent attacking midfield player in the break.

We are one striker, some re-thought team-selections, and a change in formation away from being amongst the better teams in the division.

If NW's Plan A isn't working, I hope he will soon switch to a Plan B which makes better use of our more talented players.

But maybe Plan A needs more time.

Maidstoned Eagle
17-08-2008, 11:16 AM
We've lost ONE game!!!!!

unsensibleLiam
17-08-2008, 11:21 AM
You won't need to worry about that soon, we will all be dead once ww3 starts...

thefox
17-08-2008, 11:34 AM
football outside the premiership is dying on its feet due to people buying sky and sentanta.

If you think the ground is in a poor state and the team is poor and attendences are poor i take it you didnt come to selhurst in the eighties.

The period before our most succesful ever.

A couple of wingers and a goal scorer or 2 would solve our problems until our youngsters the best in the country develop.

People not buying sky and sentanta lining the pockets of the premiership clubs so they can steal our players would help as well.

Southampton are having to close parts of their ground before the season even started ,it could be worse.

hdeagle
17-08-2008, 11:53 AM
What a load of rubbish we have to give the new players time to find their feet and we must be patient with our talented youngsters, who must have something about them judging by the fact that the majority are good enough to represent their country at youth level and are coveted by many Premiership managers.
I listened to yesterday's live commentary on Palace World and we were all over Preston in the second half, denied a blatant penalty and created numerous chances to score with several efforts going close and their second goal like their first was against the run of play.
The season is a marathon not a sprint and we have only had a couple of games and already the so-called supporters are pressing the panic button instead of looking for positives in our performances.
Yesterday was our first defeat in 10 games since the play-offs and our defence played well by all accounts.
What is the point in spending millions on the stadium when we will never fill it until the glory hunters return when we are back in the Premiership and even then they pick and choose their matches.
The days when large crowds were the norm are long gone as the cost of football has risen to the stage where it is not economically viable to be a casual supporter as a season ticket offers far greater value, but not everyone can commit to an entire season especially if they have a family.
Palace are not the only club with this problem as since money and players wages ruled the game it has become expensive following your team and some fans cannot justify the expenditure in todays financial climate when the cost of living has increased.

Due to our fine Academy Palace has a bright future as we will not have to spend millions on the team unlike many other clubs who have not invested in their youth policy and are now paying the price.
Take Charlton for example they are losing players on an almost daily basis to cut their wage bill but do not have good enough youth players to fill the gaps in the first team squad as admitted by their manager, now that is a club in trouble !!!

DARREN TESTER
17-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I really wonder why people bother starting threads , I could swear that I asked for peoples opinions... I never made a statement or even mentioned the season so far.

Or is it that people just dont read what is being written / asked.

Maz
17-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hdeagle
Palace are not the only club with this problem as since money and players wages ruled the game it has become expensive following your team and some fans cannot justify the expenditure in todays financial climate when the cost of living has increased.
Very true. This article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/sport) from today's Observer is worth reading.

You may have noticed that more clubs than usual are trimming squads and wages, and some have publicly stated they are finding it difficult to raise money for transfers. That is just the surface picture. According to PKF, there has been a dramatic rise in clubs using more than 90 per cent of their overdraft, up from 46 per cent in 2007 to 89 per cent this year.

As for the thread question - any case for the Head Doctor I suspect.

Braders
17-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hdeagle
What a load of rubbish we have to give the new players time to find their feet and we must be patient with our talented youngsters, who must have something about them judging by the fact that the majority are good enough to represent their country at youth level and are coveted by many Premiership managers.
I listened to yesterday's live commentary on Palace World and we were all over Preston in the second half, denied a blatant penalty and created numerous chances to score with several efforts going close and their second goal like their first was against the run of play.
The season is a marathon not a sprint and we have only had a couple of games and already the so-called supporters are pressing the panic button instead of looking for positives in our performances.
Yesterday was our first defeat in 10 games since the play-offs and our defence played well by all accounts.
What is the point in spending millions on the stadium when we will never fill it until the glory hunters return when we are back in the Premiership and even then they pick and choose their matches.
The days when large crowds were the norm are long gone as the cost of football has risen to the stage where it is not economically viable to be a casual supporter as a season ticket offers far greater value, but not everyone can commit to an entire season especially if they have a family.

Due to our fine Academy Palace has a bright future as we will not have to spend millions on the team unlike many other clubs who have not invested in their youth policy and are now paying the price.
Take Charlton for example they are losing players on an almost daily basis to cut their wage bill but do not have good enough youth players to fill the gaps in the first team squad as admitted by their manager, now that is a club in trouble !!!

May i just say what a great post, at last some sense !! :lux:

Ben H
17-08-2008, 05:06 PM
The club's been dying since Noades sold it to Goldberg.

Ben H
17-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Or, should I say, since the Premiership was formed and Palace were relegated from it in 1993.

thefox
17-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Or, should I say, since the Premiership was formed and Palace were relegated from it in 1993.

or since only the six richest clubs in the country were given TV money

or since the champions league helping the richest clubs get richer and richer.

Ben H
17-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Indeed. Supporting a smaller club these days is almost pointless.

peagle
17-08-2008, 07:34 PM
We are in deep ....! Simon Jordan has run out of money and belief and has mortgaged the clubs assets. Warnock is becoming disilusioned as he came down to work with Jordan who is leaving and has not had the money he was surely promised. There is an exodus of players at the moment with nobody being offered the contracts they deserve due to money and others just wanting to go. We cannot afford to invest in top quality strikers and so will struggle this year. This is not a reaction to our performance so far this year, it is not even a new thing. It is a gradually detirearating (sorry about the spelling!) situation that has been building for years now. The club is not an attractive proposition for a new investor either so the situation will be hard to improve. Sorry everyone to have to be so downbeat!

Crunchie
17-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by peagle
We are in deep ....! Simon Jordan has run out of money and belief and has mortgaged the clubs assets. Warnock is becoming disilusioned as he came down to work with Jordan who is leaving and has not had the money he was surely promised. There is an exodus of players at the moment with nobody being offered the contracts they deserve due to money and others just wanting to go. We cannot afford to invest in top quality strikers and so will struggle this year. This is not a reaction to our performance so far this year, it is not even a new thing. It is a gradually detirearating (sorry about the spelling!) situation that has been building for years now. The club is not an attractive proposition for a new investor either so the situation will be hard to improve. Sorry everyone to have to be so downbeat!

I understand your point, but i disagree.

Warnock has come on with a 3 year contract, SJ has always been looking to sell for the last two years.

I personally this this is SJ's last season to get into the premier league so it is easier to sell CPFC, however he will need to sell eventually

NW had said this is his last management position before he retires.

This season is sh1t or bust basically and both NW and SJ know it

Gosling
17-08-2008, 07:46 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44641000/jpg/_44641341_laurie3_226.jpg

We're doomed

EMLEY EAGLE
17-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by DARREN TESTER

With the ground in a poor state , the chairman wishing to sell up , gates down , players leaving / wishing to leave in some quarters ,no apparent money is the football club on a downward spiral ?

No,not on a downward spiral,but in a bit of a dillema. Do they cut their cloth to what they can afford and hope the youngsters mature and are not snatched away from us before they push us to the Premiership.
Or do we spend mmoney we haven't got(or bring in a new owner with money) to spend our way up.

peagle
17-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Crunchie
I understand your point, but i disagree.

Warnock has come on with a 3 year contract, SJ has always been looking to sell for the last two years.

I personally this this is SJ's last season to get into the premier league so it is easier to sell CPFC, however he will need to sell eventually

NW had said this is his last management position before he retires.

This season is sh1t or bust basically and both NW and SJ know it
This is how i saw it before certain things.
1) SJ's interview where i thought he would cry on skysports
2) Our lack of attacking signings this year
3) The blatant offloading of higher wage earners
4) Our inability to keep important first team players
This suggests a severe lack of money (as do the financial records which i have read) and a lack of drive at the top. This will make it unapealing to a new bidder and to NW to stay as he has no money and is losing players.

delboy01
17-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DARREN TESTER

Naked half time dancing girls!

peagle
17-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by delboy01
Naked half time dancing girls!
The club would never allow this. However streakers that are organised and paid for unofficially by a fan group might work. Obviously we'll have to audition them first!

AJ
17-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I think that the Bostock fiasco has seriously damaged the club. I think that finally sucked out Jordan's fading interest in running the club.

Justin
17-08-2008, 09:04 PM
The Bostock decision has had a huge adverse impact without a doubt, on so many different levels.

Gladys Allover
17-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Justin
The Bostock decision has had a huge adverse impact without a doubt, on so many different levels. Easy to look for excuses and scapegoats, i would have thought that Victor, Scannell, Hills and Wiggins all signing has countered this 'adverse impact'.

The doom and gloom is way off the mark for anyone who has supported the club for more than 10 years. We are a couple of wins, and perhaps a decent centre forward signing, away from being back on track from the feel good of last season's culmination.

Sadly football as a whole has become a ridiculously short sighted and impatient business and reality checks need to be put into place. We are not a Premiership team and realistically there are up to 10 teams in this division who it could be argued are bigger clubs than us.

Whatever the season holds I am going to enjoy watching a hugely talented group of young players develop while they are still in their teens under a manager that i have grown to respect and admire. Jesus, lighten up!

Ralph
17-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Indeed. Supporting a smaller club these days is almost pointless.

Couldnt disagree more, supporting a smaller club is essential to the future of football.