PDA

View Full Version : Palace fans, Neil Warnock, Respect and hypocrisy

UEAgle
17-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I love NW to bits, but the one trait of his that grates me is the way he is with match officials, and the way he blames the decisions of officials for defeats even if it was simply a poor Palace performance.

I've never been a fan of managers or players who berate officials, as it really doesn't get you anywhere. NW often hides behind officials when his team has played poorly (ie yesterday).

In light of the new Respect agenda, it would be refreshing if NW chilled a bit and concentrated on his players. Managers like Gareth Southgate are the blueprint - keeping officials onside can only be a good thing, and I love the way he gets his players to conduct themselves on the field.

So, are Palace fans slightly hypocritical? Most of us seem to back NW whatever he says, but when Premier League managers have a moan, these boards are full of posts criticizing them.

There is a staggering lack of respect within football, and that starts at management level. NW needs to stop hiding behind the performances of match officials and just get on with it, no excuses.

Woodside_Palace
17-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Have to agree with you there. Warnocks tirade against officials has become a bit of a boring cliche now - although in fairness, the ref did deny us a stonewall pen vs preston. But the fact remained that we lost because we wern't good enough, not because the ref was incompetent - and warnock needs to acknowledge that and take some responsibility.

jlmatthews
17-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by UEAgle

So, are Palace fans slightly hypocritical? Most of us seem to back NW whatever he says, but when Premier League managers have a moan, these boards are full of posts criticizing them.

Not saying it's right or wrong... but it's because Warnock is ours! I'm sure that when he was with SU there were threads about his bitching. But now he's Palace. And people back him because he's fighting for our team.

Sir.S.C Remembered
17-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I love NW to bits, but the one trait of his that grates me is the way he is with match officials, and the way he blames the decisions of officials for defeats even if it was simply a poor Palace performance.

I've never been a fan of managers or players who berate officials, as it really doesn't get you anywhere. NW often hides behind officials when his team has played poorly (ie yesterday).

In light of the new Respect agenda, it would be refreshing if NW chilled a bit and concentrated on his players. Managers like Gareth Southgate are the blueprint - keeping officials onside can only be a good thing, and I love the way he gets his players to conduct themselves on the field.

There is a staggering lack of respect within football, and that starts at management level. NW needs to stop hiding behind the performances of match officials and just get on with it, no excuses.

Totally hypocritical in many ways. Seriously I agree. The things our fans praise NW for are the same things we slated him for in the past...

David
17-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Neil Warnock is our manager but I'll never forget that night when we lost 2-1 to Sheffield United. Paddy Kenny was injured and Sheffield United played the most disgusting tactics I've ever witnessed.

I always say the same thing about Warnock, you would rather have him on your side than against you.

jookbeard
17-08-2008, 11:18 PM
and the fact he wont use a sub keeper

palace_burger
17-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by jookbeard
and the fact he wont use a sub keeper

when has this cost us?

jookbeard
17-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by palace_burger
when has this cost us?

80 odd clubs in the legue use a sub keeper from Man U to Halifax Town , and it's rare that any of them use the sub keeper, but if you can use one than use it

glaziers fan
18-08-2008, 01:11 AM

To be fair i thought Neil had mellowed out a lot in that respect... until the Preston game just gone.

That's another reason why i was SO pissed off. He ••••ed up with such a defensive line-up and then had the temerity to blame it on the referees.

Sickening. I hope NW rectifies his mistakes pronto.

cpfc4evandeva
18-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by jookbeard
80 odd clubs in the legue use a sub keeper from Man U to Halifax Town , and it's rare that any of them use the sub keeper, but if you can use one than use it

Why?

As said, this tactic hasn't cost us once.

917L
18-08-2008, 06:52 AM
So is he supposed to remain silent when officials get things so blatantly wrong?

glaziers fan
18-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 917L
So is he supposed to remain silent when officials get things so blatantly wrong?

yes. Be a gentleman about it. Admit his tactical mistakes first, eg vs brizzle when they equalised, if we hadn't been so negative trying defend the 1 goal lead we would have been ok.

James
18-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't agree. The penalty was a pivotal moment in the game and might have made a difference to the result. He was right to speak out.

The fact that some of us may not agree with his tactics in the game doesn't change that (or his right to complain). Do you really want a timid manager who accepts bad decisions without demurral?

Brett
18-08-2008, 07:25 AM
This just seems to be yet another opportunity to stick the knife in.

Ardent Eagle Forever
18-08-2008, 07:27 AM
He can't have been too wrong about the penalty decision on Saturday as Alan Irvine backed him up by agreeing that it had been a penalty.

Witht the amount of money in the game, bad decisions can affect clubs in extreme ways.

I agree that a full blown tirade against refs isn't the way to go, but something does have to be done about the poor standards in refereeing in this country.

They say bad decisions even themselves out over the season. I don't agree with this line of thought. I've seen more than enough bad decisions go against teams struggling at the foot of a decision especially when playing top opposition.

Bobsta
18-08-2008, 07:34 AM
cast iron penalty, not given due to awful refereeing. Well done neil.

Owngoal
18-08-2008, 07:45 AM
When there is a really poor decision it needs to be highlighted - you need to earn respect in all walks of life. Alan Irvine could not believe it was missed either. Hopefully the ref will be watched and will not miss such obvious things in future (surely either the lino or 4th official should have seen it as well).

Brett
18-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Hasn't Woolmer done us over before or am I thinking of someone else?

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 09:00 AM
The ref made a mistake and didn't give us the penalty, NW rants.

The ref denied Wheater a goal for Boro when HE was getting fouled, Wheater is philosophical about it.

Difference? We lost, they won,

Funny how referring mistakes are only an issue when you do not win!

Ralph
18-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Couldnt disagree more with the consensus of this thread. This tactic has worked for Neil over the last 20 years with the various unfashionable clubs he's managed. We are now one of those - whether he does to protect his players, whether he does to shake up the refs to give us more decisions, whether he tells Derry to kick lumps out of everyone. We need everything possible to keep us up this season.

James
18-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
The ref made a mistake and didn't give us the penalty, NW rants.

The ref denied Wheater a goal for Boro when HE was getting fouled, Wheater is philosophical about it.

Difference? We lost, they won,

Funny how referring mistakes are only an issue when you do not win! It isn't funny at all. If a mistake is made, but you win anyway, it's irrelevant. In the case of the missed penalty on Saturday, it may well have changed the final result.

I can't understand why so many Palace fans want Neil to be philosophical about the incident and brush it aside. One missed incident like this can make a massive difference at the end of the Season (and potentially cost the Club millions in lost revenue if a promotion is missed as a result).

CPFC_DAVE77
18-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
We need everything possible to keep us up this season.

Bit premature, lets see where we are after 10/15 games.

dufski13
18-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 917L

No, but he could also perhaps acknowledge that a front line of Lee Hills, Scowcroft & Oster was perhaps a mistake,and unlikely to win you a football game ?

AndyStreet
18-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Brett
This just seems to be yet another opportunity to stick the knife in.

Indeed. Yet again, the Football Manager brigade turn on the manager at the very first opportunity. It's been a bad start to the season and we're clearly lacking in a few areas, but the vitriol directed at a guy who completely turned us around last season and took us to within a post's width of Wembley is absolutely unbelievable. That's not to say that constructive criticism should be discouraged, but we've only played two games and there's a serious lack of perspective from many posters on here. I don't particularly agree with letting Clinton go, with playing Lawrence or with the current tactical approach Warnock is employing, but his track record and achievements last season entitle him to not have the knife twisted in after just two games.

Maz
18-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Indeed. Yet again, the Football Manager brigade turn on the manager at the very first opportunity. It's been a bad start to the season and we're clearly lacking in a few areas, but the vitriol directed at a guy who completely turned us around last season and took us to within a post's width of Wembley is absolutely unbelievable. That's not to say that constructive criticism should be discouraged, but we've only played two games and there's a serious lack of perspective from many posters on here. I don't particularly agree with letting Clinton go, with playing Lawrence or with the current tactical approach Warnock is employing, but his track record and achievements last season entitle him to not have the knife twisted in after just two games.

Thank you for some common sense. All those attacking NW this early in the season really are complete arses.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by James
I can't understand why so many Palace fans want Neil to be philosophical about the incident and brush it aside. One missed incident like this can make a massive difference at the end of the Season (and potentially cost the Club millions in lost revenue if a promotion is missed as a result).

So what about when a decision goes our way? Should we be critical of the ref then too? Those decisions too can decide relegation or promotion but rarely does anyone ever credit the referee with their sides victory. The it is allways, 'these things even themselves out over the course of the season' which is usally bollocks but rarely does a manger come out and say they got lucky with a decision.

Fact is that there will always be people to kick a ball about, lose 1 or 2 players and you can still play the game. The same cannot be said about officials!

Brett
18-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Gonzo, are you leading a nationwide campaign for respect on forums of all league clubs or is it just a specific anti-Warnock witch-hunt?

Maz
18-08-2008, 09:46 AM
So what about when a decision goes our way? Should we be critical of the ref then too? Alan Irvine on Saturday.

"I thought it was a penalty. I haven't seen it again but my first impression was that it was a penalty.

"I had a look at the referee straight away and I thought it was definitely a penalty in my eyes."

What IS your point? And whatever it is, it is a silly one.

dufski13
18-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Warnock deserves the fullness of respect for his achievement last season, & will doubtless get all the time needed to sort us out. Which I have no doubt he will do in time. However surely he's not above criticism ? The manner in which he goes about his business will always upset some people, & sometimes he, like our chairman, clearly crosses a line. But overall I tend to think even in his moments of vitriol there is generally still alot of humour,just not much humility. The ref screwed up on saturday, so did Warnock.

Kevan Woz Awful
18-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by James
I don't agree. The penalty was a pivotal moment in the game and might have made a difference to the result. He was right to speak out.

The fact that some of us may not agree with his tactics in the game doesn't change that (or his right to complain). Do you really want a timid manager who accepts bad decisions without demurral?

I don't normally concur with James, but he's bang on here. Passion for the game will always bring overheated moments and I for one would rather that than Iain Dowies meely mouthed bigging up the opposition and their manager or Peter Taylors quiet acceptance of anything untoward.

I will only add that no-one outside the club knows the constraints in which the manager is currently working. It is quite clear from other threads that the financial controls are far tighter than they ever were when SJ controlled the purse strings. That must add a dimension of stress to the manager who will be seeing what we see but with the added frustration that if he could have had his way it might have been so much better.

I'm quite content to wait and see what NW achieves with whatever turns out to be the strongest squad he can eventually muster but a manager that cares as much as I do come saturday afternoon is a prerequisite of the job in my book.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Alan Irvine on Saturday.

"I thought it was a penalty. I haven't seen it again but my first impression was that it was a penalty.

"I had a look at the referee straight away and I thought it was definitely a penalty in my eyes."

What IS your point? And whatever it is, it is a silly one.

As i said, RARELY does it happen. Wenger for example who never has a a clear view of these things. Fair play to Irvine for saying it, he does not say it affected the game and admits he has only seen it once.

From first sight of Lawrences challenge against Watford i thought he should have been sent off, not seen it again and no idea if it was his forearm into Priskins head but that is how it looked to me. If he had been sent off we could well have gone on to lose that game. From first view Derry came flying in dangerously after the whistle had gone to start the mele, he IMO was luck to stay on the pitch too. Not sure NW made any comments on that did he?

It is not anti Warnock, i hate Ferguson who does the same, Wenger whilst he does not go too crazy at refs he will never see anything clearly. The example that some managers set is dangerous for football in general IMO.

Son of Selhurst
18-08-2008, 11:06 AM
NW is a complete hypocrite though.

Jim Cannon
18-08-2008, 11:28 AM

It is not anti Warnock, i hate Ferguson who does the same, Wenger whilst he does not go too crazy at refs he will never see anything clearly. The example that some managers set is dangerous for football in general IMO.
Wenger does see it he's got glasses you know - but instead of ranting a la Ferguson/NW, he pretends he didn't to excuse his players behaviour. It's simply a different way of shifting the blame.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
Wenger does see it he's got glasses you know - but instead of ranting a la Ferguson/NW, he pretends he didn't to excuse his players behaviour. It's simply a different way of shifting the blame.

My point on Wenger was that he does not rant but as you say he does still shift the blame, he denies when his players or his team have been lucky. I would have a lot pmore respect for Irvine if he complains he has been hard done by a referring decision because he has come out and said he thought that was a pen.

I have said that NW slowly changed my opinion on him because he had pretty much cut out all the ranting, maybe it is bias but i have not seen too many unsavoury tactics used since he came here. However if this latest rant was a sign of things to come then my opinion will soon change back, the fact he is our manager does not change my opinion on him for the same events EVERYONE on here critisised him for previously.

917L
18-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Sense at last

UEAgle
18-08-2008, 01:34 PM

What has me wishing NW moaned about officials less got to do with Football Manager? And vitriol? Hardly.

As stated, I love NW, and think he's done an incredible job. However, I don't think he does himself or the club any favours when he rants about the performances of match officials, particularly after poor performances.

Believe it or not, match officials are human, and mistakes will be made from time-to-time. There is no value in ranting and raving about mistakes after the event.

Match officials deserve more respect. After all, we wouldn't have football without them. In the end, football is just a GAME, and sometimes managers, players and fans need to remember that.

As for NW, I agree that the over-reaction to the start of the season has been ridiculous. However, that doesn't mean that NW is beyond criticism. Some people on here (ie Benzhiyi off the top of my head) seem to think that NW can literally do no wrong. Every decision/transfer deal is greeted with 'In Warnock we trust'.

Maz
18-08-2008, 01:40 PM
. In the end, football is just a GAME, and sometimes managers, players and fans need to remember that.
No it isn't.

If you are a chairman, football is millions of pounds.

If you are a manager it's how you feed your family.

If you are a player it's how you keep your Bentley.

The notion that it's just a 'game' belongs with jumpers for goal posts.

AndyStreet
18-08-2008, 01:43 PM
What has me wishing NW moaned about officials less got to do with Football Manager? And vitriol? Hardly.

As stated, I love NW, and think he's done an incredible job. However, I don't think he does himself or the club any favours when he rants about the performances of match officials, particularly after poor performances.

Believe it or not, match officials are human, and mistakes will be made from time-to-time. There is no value in ranting and raving about mistakes after the event.

Match officials deserve more respect. After all, we wouldn't have football without them. In the end, football is just a GAME, and sometimes managers, players and fans need to remember that.

As for NW, I agree that the over-reaction to the start of the season has been ridiculous. However, that doesn't mean that NW is beyond criticism. Some people on here (ie Benzhiyi off the top of my head) seem to think that NW can literally do no wrong. Every decision/transfer deal is greeted with 'In Warnock we trust'.

My post wasn't directed at you so much as it was at some other folks.

And Warnock is hardly the only manager in this country who complains when a decision goes against his team. Pretty much every single manager has done it at some point, however that probably isn't acknowledged by those with an axe to grind.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 02:29 PM
My post wasn't directed at you so much as it was at some other folks.

And Warnock is hardly the only manager in this country who complains when a decision goes against his team. Pretty much every single manager has done it at some point, however that probably isn't acknowledged by those with an axe to grind.

Which managers have been in front of the FA panel as often as Warnock for it? Yes the big 4 are protected so Fergie survives when he shouldn't but abusing refs is NW's domain and i had hoped that had stopped.

Owngoal
18-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think Neil abused the ref in this instance - there is a difference in pointing out that you are wrong on a crucial decision to him than doing so in an aggressive manner. Otherwise Neil would be up before a discilinary quicker than you could type a post accussing him of disrespect......

We might still have an unbeaten record if it were not for the refs error and be going on a long run again

David
18-08-2008, 02:41 PM
If we beat Burnley nobody will care less about all this.....

Falco
18-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by David
If we beat Burnley nobody will care less about all this.....

I'll always care about it. Warnock's rants against the officials are my main criticism of him: they're usually incorrect, they don't help Palace, all it means is that lazy journalists can base a report on his moans rather than any more constructive or interesting parts of a performance. Maybe he likes the newspaper column to be directed at him rather than at the players. And I think 90% of Palace fans agree and would rather not have to read it: and yes, the other 10% probably are hypocrites.

917L
18-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Falco
I'll always care about it. Warnock's rants against the officials are my main criticism of him: they're usually incorrect,

Since he's been at Palace I dont recall one where he has been wrong

UEAgle
18-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't say his remarks about Neil Mellor were wrong, but he shouldn't single out oppo players for diving, when we have Victor (who admittedly may not dive but does exaggerate injuries and rolls around as if he's been shot).

IanH
19-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Palace fans are (and always have been) rather fickle and I can see the crowd turning against Warnock pretty quickly if things don't sort themselves out on the pitch soon (particularly with the way he has handled Freedman, Morrison and Watson recently). With Reading away to come, I think Burnley is a massive game for him.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 07:57 AM
IanH, you can see it? there were boos already after the Watford game, failure to score against Burnley and i think he will really be in a lot of trouble.

Brett
19-08-2008, 08:02 AM
IanH, you can see it? there were boos already after the Watford game, failure to score against Burnley and i think he will really be in a lot of trouble.

I'm sure that Neil is petrified of getting abuse from people who base their football knowledge on Football Manager, The Sun and Sky Sports.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm sure that Neil is petrified of getting abuse from people who base their football knowledge on Football Manager, The Sun and Sky Sports.

Whilst it is very easy for you to dismiss others in such a way, ultimately it is the money that fans, and tv companies pay that keeps clubs alive. Boring, unattractive, ineffective football inspires neither. When fans and TV cameras are not turning up, sponsorship reduces. Where is the money to fund his wages, the players he wants to buy, the money to keep players at the club going to come from?

If you are a football manager the fans are a group of people you should be worried about cos you can bet the money men who control the club are bothered by it!

Brett
19-08-2008, 08:16 AM
If you are a football manager the fans are a group of people you should be worried about cos you can bet the money men who control the club are bothered by it!

After two (and possibly three but let's wait until Saturday) games FFS?

All I see here is self-induced negativity fuelled by an overwhelming desire to start a witch-hunt against, frankly, any Palace manager.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Maybe you should go to your opticians then Brett.

All i have said about Warnock is that the jury is still out, Dowie had a great 6 months followed by ineptness. The hero worship of NW and 'In Warnock we trust' crap that was all over the BBS in the summer was the over-reaction IMO. All i have done is post opinion on the opening day of the season fixture and on our dealings with players in the last few months. Opinions shared by a large number of people.

I think NW is in a very poor position cos it must be extremely difficult for anyone when the money has been withdrawn and he has little to no funds with which to work. Then i think it is extremely important to use money wisely and not sure that has been achieved this summer.

I stated a FACT that there were boos after teh first game of the season, the same people i would assume who constantly booed PT after early games last season. They are still people who put money into the clubs finances.

Maz
19-08-2008, 08:33 AM
They are still people who put money into the clubs finances. No they are not.

They are people who pay to watch football. To suggest - implicitly - that they are investors who have a right to a return is daft.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Please quote the part of the post mentioning a right to a return.

When people hand money over at the box office or have money taken off their credit where does it go? Palace's bank account? Thats ok then.

Maz 1/10 Must try harder!

Radders
19-08-2008, 09:10 AM

The hero worship of NW and 'In Warnock we trust' crap that was all over the BBS in the summer was the over-reaction IMO.

Is this not because Neil Warnock is the manager and doesn't have to 'prove himself' as such? You obviously think to berate and critiscise every manager for every result is better, chopping and changing as we go.

I would really love to see you given a go at it. Falling flat on your face would at least improve your looks!
:love:

ThisIsDoM
19-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I thought him blaming the referee when we played Bristol City away last season was deserved and was incredibly satisfying.

Maz
19-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Radders
Is this not because Neil Warnock is the manager and doesn't have to 'prove himself' as such? He does, probably with each new club (as all managers do).

But surely not with each match?

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Is this not because Neil Warnock is the manager and doesn't have to 'prove himself' as such?

Why does he not have to prove himself?

Radders
19-08-2008, 09:20 AM

See Maz's post above.

Radders
19-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Maz
He does, probably with each new club (as all managers do).

I agree.

I think we know enough of Neil Warnock at his short time at Palace and his other managerial appointments to know he can manage a football club.

2 poor performances and Morrison not signing and the critiscism is unrealistic on a massive scale!

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Maz

Nope and those who were booing are the fickle supporters that no doubt every club has. He has started poorly this season, no-one can seriously dispute that, which means he needs to start imporving quickly. It is the points total after 10 games and then 15/20 that will matter. The problem at the moment is we have not scored a goal and do not look like scoring, there is little optimism because there are no indications of better to come, it seems we are relying on signing someone which is very dangerous.

Will we have 10 points after 10 games? That is relegation form? 15 points would be mid table and 20 points pushing for the top spots.

Brett has drawn simialrities to 93/94 and a 5 game win spin and a couple more draws to make up the first 10 games put us in contention. Even in 03/04 we had 11 points after that first 10 and 16 after the first 15 games. That caused Kember to lose his job.

It did not look, on paper at least, as too difficult a start, and trips away to Reading, Wolves and Ispwich in the coming weeks look daunting. I think there is a lot of pressure on this Saturday for a result now and will be interesting to see how we get on.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Is this not because Neil Warnock is the manager and doesn't have to 'prove himself' as such?

Originally posted by Maz

See Maz's post above.

So then we are agreed, he does have to prove himself at each club and IMO in each season.

dufski13
19-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Has he not already done so ? I am as unhappy as anyone about the player movements at Palace this summer, & can vent a little frustration at our current lack of a goal scorers on these boards, nonetheless I wouldn't swap Warnock for anyone we've a realistic chance of getting as manager. That doesn't make him exempt from criticism, but it does mean he has earnt the right not to be booed after 1 or 2 games into a new season. We are notoriously bad starters in any case. it has ever been so at Palace, we don't like to do things the easy way.

And as much as the occassional over spill of passion & vitriol from warnock can be a little distasteful, at least he cares enough to get wound up. Overall though the thing that I think genuinely comes through with Warnock is his sense of humour & warmth. That has been the biggest & most pleasant surprise to me. He is really rather witty, even the outburst in Bristol was coined in a joke. I've rather taken to him in a way I didn't expect to at all & can happily forgive him the odd outburst, lord knows there have been enough times at football where I've sworn profusely at the ref !

Radders
19-08-2008, 09:40 AM
So then we are agreed, he does have to prove himself at each club and IMO in each season.

More spin than Shane Warne haven't you?

I think the point is, he can manage, we knew that before he came, we have seen it SINCE he came. To now critiscise after every game because a couple of poor performances have been thrown into the mix is ott. However, when it's yourself on the other end of the keyboard it's hardly surprising.

Brett
19-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Brett has drawn simialrities to 93/94 and a 5 game win spin and a couple more draws to make up the first 10 games put us in contention.

In respect of the results, I drew similarities to the first two because (and I'm stunned this isn't immediately obvious to everyone) we have only played two matches this season.

Even if we do not go on the same five-match-winning-run as then, we are by no means out of contention for promotion or at least another assault on the play-offs.

Duffski makes a magnificent point about us being slow starters. It really shouldn't be magnificent but yet again, self-styled super fans are seemingly completely oblivious to our history, and more specifically, our promotion history.

Maz
19-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Duffski makes a magnificent point about us being slow starters. It really shouldn't be magnificent but yet again, self-styled super fans are seemingly completely oblivious to our history, and more specifically, our promotion history.

That's because our fans are slow starters as well. Sort of nice that their brains match the team really isn't it?

Radders
19-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Maz
That's because our fans are slow starters as well. Sort of nice that their brains match the team really isn't it?

:D

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 10:09 AM
We are not always slow starters, we have on a reasonably regular basis lead or been towards the top of the CCC in the early stages.

We shall see how we are doing in a few weeks.

Brett
19-08-2008, 10:20 AM
We are not always slow starters, we have on a reasonably regular basis lead or been towards the top of the CCC in the early stages.

We shall see how we are doing in a few weeks.

Define starters. Our most recent promotions (in fact, excluding 1993/4) have come after we have languised deep into the bottom half of the table approaching Christmas.

You're not seriously suggesting 3 wins out of 3 in a 46 game campaign is a start. Accepted football wisdom suggest that pretty much anything into the first week of October can be defined as 'a start'.

Even the bloody Pools looks at 10 games as a guide to form (or at least it did do when you had the old bloke coming 'round to your house with the coupon).

Radders
19-08-2008, 10:33 AM

One of the first things I remember when i first started going to Palace was: Decent start = sh*t season. In the 20+ years I have been watching this has been proved right more often than not!

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 10:42 AM
We can talk about history all you like, what matters is the here and now. We have started (the start would be teh first game of the season) poorly, but we have no finances and a Manager believed by some to be about to walk away. IF we can start to get things back on track this weekend then fans, and managers attitudes may change but if we see another dour toothless performance in which we do not score then i think we are in serious trouble heading into the last week of teh transfer window.

Maz
19-08-2008, 10:45 AM
We can talk about history all you like, what matters is the here and now. We have started (the start would be teh first game of the season) poorly, but we have no finances and a Manager believed by some to be about to walk away. .

Some people also believe that 9/11 was an act of the US government and others still that man did not land on the moon.

But just because some people believe some things doesn't mean a) we should panic or b) factor them in our thinking.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 10:53 AM
You are entitled to your opinion MAz and others are entitled to theirs. Mine is that we are an extremely unstable ship, a Chairman wanting out and manager feeling unsupported and thinking of walking too and all this will have a negative effect on the squad.

dufski13
19-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Some people also believe that 9/11 was an act of the US government and others still that man did not land on the moon.

Are you suggesting that those 2 things aren't true then ? :D

Radders
19-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Dowie had a great 6 months followed by ineptness.

You can talk about history all you like, what matters is here and now. Twat.

Radders
19-08-2008, 10:59 AM
You are entitled to your opinion MAz and others are entitled to theirs. Mine is that we are an extremely unstable ship, a Chairman wanting out and manager feeling unsupported and thinking of walking too and all this will have a negative effect on the squad.

The only thing negative in my opinion are people like you posting like this.

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 11:04 AM

There's been instability at this club for years GG.

Brett
19-08-2008, 11:12 AM
How does one parody a parody which was a parody of a parody?

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Lewes Eagle
There's been instability at this club for years GG.

Since Noades went!

dufski13
19-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Since Noades went!

Funny, i was just thinking how under Uncle Ron was the last period of relative stability at the club, but then in many ways he was the architect of all the great unstability that followed him.

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Since Noades went!

Since Noades went... and sold the club to a complete plum who lead us into administration quicker than Usain Bolt with a hot poker up his arse. Yeah, cheers Ron.

At least all the signs are that SJ will give appropriate consideration to find a 'responsible' buyer for the club.

Radders
19-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Since Noades went!

Wrong!!

AND, your talking about history AGAIN!!

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by dufski13
Funny, i was just thinking how under Uncle Ron was the last period of relative stability at the club, but then in many ways he was the architect of all the great unstability that followed him.

People talk about Leeds as the main example of 'chasing th edrem' financially and ithink there is no doubt that they did it to the greatest extent. However that is IMO what we were guilty of. We had a recent histiry of being in the Prem, dropping out and then working to get back in. the fans wanted to stay there and saw Noades as a barrier to that. His refusal to invest heavily and insistence on balancing the books irritated a large number of supporters.

Along came a man who said he was a millionairre and would not only take us to the premiership but keep us there. It was teh fans who believed this, it was the fans who through their combined weight behind wanting a change. We wanted the dream and played our part in the events that happened.

IMO Noades knew how to run a football club and we are worse off because he sold out, which many fans refuse to aknowledge the collective responsibility of the supporters for that.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 11:54 AM
The argument will rage forever, but I know for a fact what motivated Noades into that sale. The fans said he had had his time and Goldberg was seen as the new messiah. Everyone took Goldberg at his word, Noades was offered silly money that none of us would have turned down and the rest is history. let's see how it plays out with Jordan over the next few months if you want scapegoats.

Brett
19-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Along came a man who said he was a millionairre and would not only take us to the premiership but keep us there. It was teh fans who believed this, it was the fans who through their combined weight behind wanting a change. We wanted the dream and played our part in the events that happened.

FFS.

The club did not pass from Noades to Goldberg because of the fans but then you're rewriting history on everything else so I'm not exactly surprised.

I'd rather you kept posting, though; it's genuine car-crash TV.

Radders
19-08-2008, 11:57 AM

I'd rather you kept posting, though; it's genuine car-crash TV.

:D :D

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 11:58 AM

IMO Noades knew how to run a football club and we are worse off because he sold out, which many fans refuse to aknowledge the collective responsibility of the supporters for that.

What complete rubbish!

Radders
19-08-2008, 12:03 PM
What complete rubbish!

Gonzo posting rubbish? HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Gonzo posting rubbish? HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 12:53 PM
What complete rubbish!

What is rubbish about it?

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 01:10 PM
What is rubbish about it?

It had nothing to do with a 'combined weight' of what the fans wanted. :rolleyes:

It was the slim and 'unsubstantiated weight' of Goldberg’s wallet that made Noades sell the club. That is all!

Seriously GG, the drugs don't work.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 01:20 PM
It had nothing to do with a 'combined weight' of what the fans wanted. :rolleyes:

It was the slim and 'unsubstantiated weight' of Goldberg’s wallet that made Noades sell the club. That is all!

Seriously GG, the drugs don't work.

Sorry but i will take the thoughts and opinions of people a lot closer to the actual events than you, over yours, just cos you disagree does not make it rubbish!

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Indeed, some people don't half talk some nonsense. trust me, I know why Noades sold. He told me - and he had no agenda to try and veil the truth.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 01:30 PM
But you will keep it to yourself Al?

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I've already told people a hundred times on here but they refuse to believe it.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes but i was not sure who you were agreeing/disagreeing with on your post.

Maz
19-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Indeed, some people don't half talk some nonsense. trust me, I know why Noades sold. He told me - and he had no agenda to try and veil the truth. Of course he did.

His agenda - understandably - was, and remains, to paint himself in the best possible light.

You're quite sweetly naif.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 01:56 PM
The Noades dissenters, as always.

AndyStreet
19-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Can anyone toss themselves silly over the parasitic leech, or is it a private members club? No doubt he would have told you that he poured his own money into Brentford too had you asked.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Al you must remember that for most, like Andy, they have never met the man, never spoken to him, never actually thought about the suituation. It is fashionable as a Palace fan to hate RN and therefore they do.

Maz
19-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Al you must remember that for most, like Andy, they have never met the man, never spoken to him, never actually thought about the suituation.

Why should meeting the man, or even allowing your wife to go on a golfing holiday with his wife, in anyway excuse his actions?

I personally have never met Adolf Hitler (Godwin's Law :) ), but I dare say if I did it wouldn't alter my view that the Holocaust was a bad idea.

AndyStreet
19-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Al you must remember that for most, like Andy, they have never met the man, never spoken to him, never actually thought about the suituation. It is fashionable as a Palace fan to hate RN and therefore they do. You have absolutely no idea whether or not I've met him. I do, however, know a sychophant when I see one.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree. I have no agenda, I just tell it as it is regarding Noades. Similarly, he had no agenda when we chatted just days after the sale, nor did his wife when she told my wife exactly the sdame story independently on a separate occasion. In summary, fans drove Noades away, Goldberg would not be swayed in his mission to purchase CPFC at any cost. That's how it was, and remains.

Maz
19-08-2008, 02:13 PM
In summary, fans drove Noades away. This is what he wanted you to believe.

It sounds so much better than "Did you see all that luvverly money I earned out of the deal?" doesn't it?

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 02:16 PM
You have absolutely no idea whether or not I've met him. I do, however, know a sychophant when I see one.

Quite simply Andy, you are wrong. And frankly, it's exactly that kind of attitude that helped make Noades mind up to sell the club.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Maz
This is what he wanted you to believe.

It sounds so much better than "Did you see all that luvverly money I earned out of the deal?" doesn't it?

I know what was discussed and the manner of that discussion. There was no wonderment about it, no sensationalism. Indeed I sensed at the time that a part of him wasn't happy about the fact, but he said that his age and because it would secure his family's future, coupled with the way the fans constantly moaned about him, helped make up his mind. He also made it very clear that Goldberg was hellbent and would not be swayed in any way, shape or form, from acquiring the club.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Why should meeting the man, or even allowing your wife to go on a golfing holiday with his wife, in anyway excuse his actions?

I personally have never met Adolf Hitler (Godwin's Law :) ), but I dare say if I did it wouldn't alter my view that the Holocaust was a bad idea.

That's just a stupid thing to say. If I were Noades I would seriously consider looking carefully at what some people say about him on these boards, It must, at best, amount to slander. Mind you, he doesn't need the money. Ciao!

Norwoodguy
19-08-2008, 02:26 PM
I dont think Noades was bad news for the club - him and Coppell worked wonders at CPFC and I will always be grateful for what they both achieved.

Noades was fortunate enough to take a gamble on an unproven manager, who turned out to be the best Manager CPFC will ever have.

I remember the furore of the incoming Goldberg, and all the giddy headlines that followed...and I think most fans had their heads turned by the glamorous rumours and gossip.

I would agree that, to an extent, most of Noades' good work was largely belittled or forgotten at this time - as we ushered in our new dawn. So I dont blame Noades for feeling a little rail roaded at that time.

However Noades was shrewd enough to make sure he got the best possible deal for himself - which he is more than entitled to.

Another stroke of luck for Noades was that Goldberg was a fool - and allowed Noades to gloat (which he did do) when we began to struggle under his doomed leadership.

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 02:28 PM
You have absolutely no idea whether or not I've met him. I do, however, know a sychophant when I see one.

So you have met him and had a conversation with him?

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 02:31 PM
However we have gone way way off topic.

I think we should all be able to agree that stability is very helpful when trying to create harmony within the squad and in trying to build for the future.

Maz
19-08-2008, 02:34 PM
That's just a stupid thing to say. If I were Noades I would seriously consider looking carefully at what some people say about him on these boards, It must, at best, amount to slander. Mind you, he doesn't need the money. Ciao!

Please point anything slanderous - or even potentially slanderous - that I have said about Mr Noades in this thread or on any thread ever.

Failing which do please shut up about it. We've all got the message that you and he were great golf buddies as were your spouses. Lovely.

Meanwhile...

AndyStreet
19-08-2008, 02:35 PM
So you have met him and had a conversation with him?

Yes thanks. Not that it's particularly relevant, as I judge him more by his actions in selling Palace up the river and nearly driving Brentford into liquidation than by a couple of anecdotal conversations I had as a result of living very nearby to him.

Justin
19-08-2008, 02:45 PM
No one can ever blame Noades for selling at the price he did.

No one can ever blame Jordan for selling his phone shops at the price he did.

But let's not pretend that it was for any other reason than to book a nice big fat profit - and fair play to both of them.

€pfc
19-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes thanks. Not that it's particularly relevant, as I judge him more by his actions in selling Palace up the river and nearly driving Brentford into liquidation than by a couple of anecdotal conversations I had as a result of living very nearby to him.

Ask any Brentford fan what they think of him and i bet you get the same response as many palace fans and thats he's a 'wanker':p

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Sorry but i will take the thoughts and opinions of people a lot closer to the actual events than you, over yours, just cos you disagree does not make it rubbish!

So Noades, or one of his associates, told you personally that it was the 'combined weight' of fans who wanted a change, that made him sell the club to Goldberg - From very early on, game after game, fans shouted obcenities at Noades to leave, why did he keep going for all those years?

GG, if you are 'in the know' can you tell me what kind of investigation was carried out by Noades to establish if Goldberg was 'financially fit' to run the club?
By all accounts, Goldberg came accross in the media as very keen, like an over excited child in a sweet shop, ready to do great things for the club... yet Noades would not sell him the freehold - why not?

I'll tell you roughly how it went, Noades knew full well that there was a very good chance everything would go 'tits-up', but hey ho he's made a tidy profit, the fans can blame everything on Goldberg and Noades looks ok cause the freehold, and the club, is safe with him...

As I said, you are talking complete rubbish!

GreatGonzo
19-08-2008, 03:10 PM
yet Noades would not sell him the freehold - why not?

As I said, you are talking complete rubbish!

And thus there is no point in replying, you have already done it for me, as he did agree to sell him the freehold.

Brett
19-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Al you must remember that for most, like Andy, they have never met the man, never spoken to him, never actually thought about the suituation. It is fashionable as a Palace fan to hate RN and therefore they do.

Patronising slimeball.

Brett
19-08-2008, 04:05 PM
However we have gone way way off topic.

Weren't you the one who took it off topic by talking about your Uncle Ron on a thread about Neil Warnock disrespecting referees. You're obsessed ffs.

But then you're always fleet of foot because you always have so many holes blown through your arguments; you change the subject time and again in the forlorn hope that some of the shit will stick if you fling enough of it. That none of it bears any relevance to the subject seems to matter not to you.

And that is why you are a parody.

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 04:19 PM
And thus there is no point in replying, you have already done it for me, as he did agree to sell him the freehold.

Oh dear, you seem to have gone 'off topic' :rolleyes:

As I said, Noades sold the club to make a profit - it had nothing to do with the fans. OK :)

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh dear, you seem to have gone 'off topic' :rolleyes:

As I said, Noades sold the club to make a profit - it had nothing to do with the fans. OK :)

And you know this how?

Radders
19-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I dunno, i leave you kids for a couple of hours and see what happens!!!?

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Not sure about 'kids' I am 50 in six months time. Pop down the golf club and ask him Radders, just like I did :)

Radders
19-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Not sure about 'kids' I am 50 in six months time. Pop down the golf club and ask him Radders, just like I did :)

I wasn't seriously calling anyone 'kids' mate!;)

To be honest, the Noades thing is history and Gonzo told me not to talk about history so I decided not to, then, Gonzo started talking about history and things got confusing. So I went out and came back to find a Warnock thread had been turned into a Noades fest by Gonzo who then pointed out that people had gone off topic when it was himself that sent it that way!! Fortunately, Brett pointing out that Gonzo is a patronising poo who actually did send the thread that way, lessened my confusion!!

So, Warnock, respect & hypocrisy wasn't it???

David
19-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't like the way Dougie has been treated and that is a huge disrespect.

Barbara4003
19-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Do you have that much faith in everything you are told?

If I told you I was actually Simon Jordan, would you believe me? ;)

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I think that I am reasonable judge of character and it wasn't by any means the first conversation i had ever had with Mr Noades down the years. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don;t buy into this whole 'parasite' stuff. It is insulting and misguided IMHO. Noades took risks in those early days that many of us wouldn't. That he went on to make a load of money is what sometimes happens in business. Along the way though he facilitated a period in the club's history that few if any will ever match again. That is good enough for me.

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 05:35 PM
And you know this how?

I don't know. :) it was my final response to GG's 'patronising poo', Al!

Back to the thread - thank god the BBS wasn't around at the start of 89/90 season. Five games in, just 3 goals and a 9-0 stuffing at Liverpool.
Threads like this, taken over by the 'BBS football managers' would go into meltdown

Maz
Noades took risks in those early days that many of us wouldn't. That he went on to make a load of money is what sometimes happens in business.

And it's normally the only reason that risks are taken.

So I doubt if Mr Noades either seeks, deserves or wants the sainthood you are trying to bestow on him.

Barbara4003
I think that I am reasonable judge of character and it wasn't by any means the first conversation i had ever had with Mr Noades down the years. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don;t buy into this whole 'parasite' stuff. It is insulting and misguided IMHO. Noades took risks in those early days that many of us wouldn't. That he went on to make a load of money is what sometimes happens in business. Along the way though he facilitated a period in the club's history that few if any will ever match again. That is good enough for me.

That's fair enough :)

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Maz
And it's normally the only reason that risks are taken.

So I doubt if Mr Noades either seeks, deserves or wants the sainthood you are trying to bestow on him.

I am not trying to bestow anything on him. I just know a bit more about the truth than some who keep coming out with the parasite comments.

Maz
19-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I just know a bit more about the truth . Er, no you don't.

Having a conversation with Ron Noades does not qualify you as an oracle.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 05:44 PM
having several maybe more so. If I was him I would sue a lot of people on here, or ask them to be brave enough to come out with their allegations in a court of law. Then we'd see what;s what.

Lizzy
19-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I played golf with RN (and his missus). It was fun but he was rubbish :) He told us aload of stuff about Palace and brentford and alleged bungs and the Goldberg deal etc.

I take most of it with a pinch of salt but I suspect there were some elements of truth in it.

He didn't strike me as a man who gave a shit about what people think of him. I was quite jealous of that.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 05:49 PM
No, he certainly doesn't care what the punters think of him, that much is true, or else I expect we;d have seen a few BBSers up in court by now. :)

Barbara4003
19-08-2008, 05:59 PM
If he doesn't care what people think about him, how come the fans apparently made him sell Palace?

Oh and by the way totally off topic - I had my first golf lesson today and my arms are really hurting :( Is this normal? Thank you :)

Maz
19-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Lizzy
I take most of it with a pinch of salt but I suspect there were some elements of truth in it.
And you are an object lesson to Hero Worship Al.

That's exactly the right way to treat any conversation about business.

Maz
19-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
If he doesn't care what people think about him, how come the fans apparently made him sell Palace?
She shoots, she scores. :D

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I meant more the comments about him being a parasite and leech etc. were like water off a ducks back to Noades. I can't imagine Jordan ignoring them. He sold Palace cos Goldberg wouldn't take no for an answer and the fans were regularly writing to the CA saying Noades was past his sell by date.

As for achy arms, shoulders maybe. You use muscles you wouldn't otherwise use in a normal day when you swing a golf club.

Lizzy
19-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003

Oh and by the way totally off topic - I had my first golf lesson today and my arms are really hurting :( Is this normal? Thank you :)

yup it's perfectly normal

you wouldn't in the course of normal life make your arms swing like that so you'll have used muscles that have to date been redundant

Maz
19-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Ron Noades' arms never ached.

Apparently.

Lewes Eagle
19-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Maz
She shoots, she scores. :D

Lizzy
19-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Ron Noades' arms never ached.

Apparently.

mind you - for a man who plays that much golf and owns four courses he was rubbish! It might have been an off day - he did spend most of the round on the mobile trying to buy addington palace!

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 06:15 PM
He used to play off 21, whilst his good lady wife was down to around 14 as I recall.

Lizzy
19-08-2008, 06:23 PM
she played off 12 the day we played against her.

Al From Bromley
19-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, she was always handier than Ron. Mind you, she's got a few years on him.