PDA

View Full Version : Just how good are they then

steve hail
18-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Excuse me asking, but it is difficult to tell from the other side of the world on a computer screen how good Victor Moses and Sean Scannell are. And what about the other remaining teenagers (who haven't gone to Spurs, or via Carlisle to apparent oblivion).

I say this because I am old enough to remember talented players like our ex-manager Trevor Francis ripping top defences apart as young teenagers, and Alan Ball was not much more than a kid when he played in a World Cup final.

Are they good enough? Yes or no.

If so, they should be in the side every game. And if Victor Moses' best position is striker then he should be playing there.

We keep asking about where we are going to get a striker from. Various of you tell me that Moses is better as a striker than out wide.

Am I insane or is everyone else? Why isn't he playing there? Then we won't need a striker.

I don't see why 17-18 year olds can't play football every week. People didn't used to be as over-protected as they are now.

Or do they need to be protected from the BBS?

Mickey Gilley
18-08-2008, 11:04 AM
They definitly need to be protected from the BBS. The negativity on these boards would destroy their confidence in a matter of seconds!

If we played Moses up front in our current system then he would be a lone striker dealing with lots of long balls played from the back and he isnt that tall so probably wouldn't get much of a chance.

That's why Warnock has him attacking from a wider position. He's not being played as a winger though - he gets to support our target man while coming in from the left.

If Warnock had gone for 442 this season then we probably would have kept Morrision and could have played Morrision and Moses down the centre, with Scowcroft as another option if we needed more physical presence. I suspect that a lot of people on here would have liked that.

Maz
18-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Moses has sticky feet : whatever he does with the ball it seems to always come back to them.

It's a fine talent.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Moses and Scannell are 2 very different players, each very good in their own right.

Moses the key is to get the ball to him, he always looks good through the middle because he has the ability to take the ball right, or straight on, or find a pass. Through the middle this gives him more options, he also has a thunderous shot when he chooses to unleash it. However he cannot play up as a lone striker, isolated against 2 centre backs we would never see the best of him. Comeing from a deeper position playing off another player and picking teh ball up and running with it sees him at his best.

Scannell is a striker, played it throughout youth football and had a scoring record that saw him promoted from the youth ranks to reserves ahead of his age group and then into teh 1st team. At the moment we see him use his pace, get the ball but get stuck down in the corners where he does not have the ability of a winger to get a yard and whip a ball across. His finishes so far have show his eye for goal and again straight through the middle we would see a very good player.

That then leads to the question of could they play together in a front 2? That would ask a lot of two 17 year olds, they certainly have the ability to set this division alight but the lack of experience might mean defenders twice their age stop that ability showing,

It would be nice however to see if it works, would certainly increase the excitment in and around Selhurst.

FromSelhurst
18-08-2008, 01:03 PM
both are playing in a formation that doesnt really suit them.

moses is obviously far more talented though and if played through the middle would be a huge threat in, maybe not every game but most games.

David
18-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Moses is a talented player who is wasted on the wing and would be more suited to the Premiership than playing against the hackers in the Championship. He's far too good for this division.

Scannell has pace but isn't really direct enough and I doubt he will score many goals. I hope to see him play a more central role.

LBCUser
18-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Moses is clearly a great talent and should be playing regularly.

Scannell is fast but the technical side of his game needs development if he's to reach the same level that Moses should be reaching i.e. Premier League football.

The idea that we should be relying on either player this season is becoming increasingly laughable - whatever the formation!

SexualChocolate
18-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LBCUser
The idea that we should be relying on either player this season is becoming increasingly laughable - whatever the formation!

Why? If a top 4 club can rely on a 19 year old, and a nation can rely on an 20 year old (that's Fabregas last year & Rooney a couple of summers back), then why can't a Championship side rely on two extremely talented teenagers?

LBCUser
18-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't mean all teenagers can't be relied upon. Just these two can't!

Scannell, in particular, needs plenty of development before he approaches Premier League level and it's unfair to put too much pressure on them.

They're great for offering a different dimension, and perhaps scoring the odd goal or few, but that's about it FOR NOW as far as I can tell.

trickyricky66
18-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Gilley
They definitly need to be protected from the BBS. The negativity on these boards would destroy their confidence in a matter of seconds!

If we played Moses up front in our current system then he would be a lone striker dealing with lots of long balls played from the back and he isnt that tall so probably wouldn't get much of a chance.

That's why Warnock has him attacking from a wider position. He's not being played as a winger though - he gets to support our target man while coming in from the left.

If Warnock had gone for 442 this season then we probably would have kept Morrision and could have played Morrision and Moses down the centre, with Scowcroft as another option if we needed more physical presence. I suspect that a lot of people on here would have liked that.
IN ONE WORD YES.

SexualChocolate
18-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by LBCUser
I don't mean all teenagers can't be relied upon. Just these two can't!

Scannell, in particular, needs plenty of development before he approaches Premier League level and it's unfair to put too much pressure on them.

They're great for offering a different dimension, and perhaps scoring the odd goal or few, but that's about it FOR NOW as far as I can tell.

Fair enough.

I'd like to see them given a couple of matches up front together to see rather than speculating (that sounds far arsier than i mean it btw! :p ). They can't do any worse than we've collectively done over the last 2 league games!