PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy: Jose and Johnny are breathing down my neck

ZOHAR
19-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Eagles central-defender Paddy McCarthy says new signings Jose Fonte and Johannes Ertl are breathing down his neck for a starring role in the heart of Palace's back-four.

The Republic of Ireland defender has looked very comfortable in his opening three Palace games since his 500,000 pre-season move from Charlton.

After the signings of McCarthy, Fonte and Ertl in the close season, boss Neil Warnock's preferred central defensive pairing became a major topic of discussion over the summer.

And as it stands McCarthy and Matt Lawrence currently occupy those all important two spots.

However, the former Leicester City man knows that the minute his performances drop, the likelihood is that he will be out of the starting 11.

He said: "It's important to have competition for places.
"Jose Fonte and Johnny Ertl will take my jersey if I take my foot off the gas.

"And I think that's great for me at Matt Lawrence because there's nothing easier than to take your foot of the gas.

"Everybody needs that competition - it pushes you to better performances because you know these lads are champing at the bit to take your jersey."

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/images/274116/sitemastheadimage.jpg

David
19-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
Eagles central-defender Paddy McCarthy says new signings Jose Fonte and Johannes Ertl are breathing down his neck for a starring role in the heart of Palace's back-four.

The Republic of Ireland defender has looked very comfortable in his opening three Palace games since his 500,000 pre-season move from Charlton.

After the signings of McCarthy, Fonte and Ertl in the close season, boss Neil Warnock's preferred central defensive pairing became a major topic of discussion over the summer.

And as it stands McCarthy and Matt Lawrence currently occupy those all important two spots.

However, the former Leicester City man knows that the minute his performances drop, the likelihood is that he will be out of the starting 11.

He said: "It's important to have competition for places.
"Jose Fonte and Johnny Ertl will take my jersey if I take my foot off the gas.

"And I think that's great for me at Matt Lawrence because there's nothing easier than to take your foot of the gas.

"Everybody needs that competition - it pushes you to better performances because you know these lads are champing at the bit to take your jersey."

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/images/274116/sitemastheadimage.jpg

If Lawrence wasn't dropped after his performance against Watford then I think Fonte and Ertl are going to have a long wait. It's a shame that I've seen a few posts on here which are already turning on McCarthy as a way to defend Lawrence.

palace_burger
24-08-2008, 12:35 PM
How Fonte doesnt play I have no idea

pauldrulez
24-08-2008, 12:36 PM
McCarthy and Fonte were excellent yesterday.

917L
24-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pauldrulez
McCarthy and Fonte were excellent yesterday.

So was Lawrence (in a purely defensive capacity)