PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence signs a new deal..

cpfcfan1
20-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Should please a lot :D

MATT Lawrence has signed a new contract to keep him at Crystal Palace until 2010 - and admits the discussions over a new deal were an absolute breeze. The South London Press revealed on August 5 that the former Millwall and Fulham man was going to be offered fresh terms by the Eagles. And Lawrence put pen to paper before the Championship opener against Watford. The consistent defenderís new deal takes him up to his 36th birthday - and he has no doubts he will still be up to Championship standard at that age. "Iím more than fit enough to have another two years at this level," said Lawrence. "The discussions were very straight-forward and there were no arguments or negotiations, my agent just looked over the contract to check everything was in place and it was signed, simple as that. "Finance is important to everyone, because youíve got to pay the mortgage,but I didnít quibble because I appreciated the gesture of another year. "My family are settled in Sussex and Iím happy career-wise so signing an extension wasnít anything I needed to think about. Iím glad to have another year playing at Palace." To see the full interview with Lawrence get Friday's South London

Eagle_P
20-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Cue the abuse now with how is Lawrence valuable at that age when Dougie isnt and is at the same age!

smileysmith
20-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Good to have an experienced utility man around. I'm pleased. :)

smileysmith
20-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Must admit I'd prefer to have Dougie around too ...

mojoeagle
20-08-2008, 10:18 AM
As a backup player yes, but please Warnock play Fonte instead.

CHERRY TREE BRB
20-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Fantastic News!

:lux: :lux: :lux:

CHERRY TREE BRB
20-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by mojoeagle

Yep, instead of McCarthy:p

Barbara4003
20-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd rather hear that negotiations have started with Tom Soares. His contract finishes next year.

Billyd
20-08-2008, 10:30 AM
ēēēē sake

Harry Holmesdale
20-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice one, whatever you think of Lawrence he was pivotal in our surge to the play offs last season

Mr Palace
20-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Poor player but full of commitment and no doubt very good to have around the dressing room. I have no problem keeping him as a back up to a first choice pairing of McCarthy and Fonte.

Two years is OTT for me though - one year with an option of another year would have sufficed. It's not as if other clubs will be chasing him.

Jordan's Jacket
20-08-2008, 10:56 AM
as long as he is on £20k p.a. that would be fine

Bobsta
20-08-2008, 10:58 AM
not half as bad as some think he is. Good reliable squad player.

GDP
20-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Although im far from his biggest fan, i'll not deny he's a valuable member of the squad. Good luck to him.

limited_edition
20-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
Poor player but full of commitment and no doubt very good to have around the dressing room. I have no problem keeping him as a back up to a first choice pairing of McCarthy and Fonte.

Two years is OTT for me though - one year with an option of another year would have sufficed. It's not as if other clubs will be chasing him. With Fonte and Ertl signed, not to mention Hills fit again, he's lucky to be on the bench, let alone the starting 11. We should be looking to the future, not giving journeymen 2 year contracts. I suppose he must be cheap, then. :hmph:

cdm61
20-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Boo - go retire please

Shipp Ahoy!
20-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB

Not from what I have seen so far! Paddy looks a better version of Hudson, who was close runner up POTY last 2 seasons...

GrayP41ace
20-08-2008, 11:21 AM
All we've done is give him an extra year on top of this season, now, rather than wit till the end of the year and lose a player that may well play an important part in our season, like Hudson and Morrison last year, and Watson this year.

It looks like we're learning from previous mistakes and signing up a player we know we can rely on than having to replace him at the end of the season, like we did with Morrison and struggling at it.

jobiinthelastmi
20-08-2008, 11:24 AM
The future of CPFC a 35 year old never been......

I can understand him being given another year and being part of the squad but he should not be starting week in week out at his age.

Chris K
20-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by mojoeagle

x 1,000,000

DaCooks15
20-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Why is he not playing Fonte btw?

Owngoal
20-08-2008, 12:01 PM
This just confirms how poor we are at the contract side of managing the team, continuing the work of Taylor in signing up those at the end of their career (Freedman) but not those who could make a real difference (Ben, Clinton).

I am not a Lawrence basher but this shows we do not think we are going up this year - Matt would not cut it in the Prem - end of. Soares will be allowed to go next year in the same way as some of the others. There was certainly no urgency with this one, he would have bitten our hands off next summer. Must make Hill and Ertl realise where they stand should we start playing Hills/Wiggins.

nottsunieagle
20-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
I'd rather hear that negotiations have started with Tom Soares. His contract finishes next year.

That has to be a priority for the club - it'll be Watson Mk II all over again.

trickyricky66
20-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by cpfcfan1
Should please a lot :D

MATT Lawrence has signed a new contract to keep him at Crystal Palace until 2010 - and admits the discussions over a new deal were an absolute breeze. The South London Press revealed on August 5 that the former Millwall and Fulham man was going to be offered fresh terms by the Eagles. And Lawrence put pen to paper before the Championship opener against Watford. The consistent defenderís new deal takes him up to his 36th birthday - and he has no doubts he will still be up to Championship standard at that age. "Iím more than fit enough to have another two years at this level," said Lawrence. "The discussions were very straight-forward and there were no arguments or negotiations, my agent just looked over the contract to check everything was in place and it was signed, simple as that. "Finance is important to everyone, because youíve got to pay the mortgage,but I didnít quibble because I appreciated the gesture of another year. "My family are settled in Sussex and Iím happy career-wise so signing an extension wasnít anything I needed to think about. Iím glad to have another year playing at Palace." To see the full interview with Lawrence get Friday's South London
:sob: :sob: :sob:

gsaunders22
20-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Wonderful news :rolleyes:

limited_edition
20-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
That has to be a priority for the club - it'll be Watson Mk II all over again. Yep. We've got our priorities dead wrong. Sign up a journeyman when we are well covered in defence when a new contract for a player that can actually play football is far more important.

nellis
20-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I expect he's on minimal wages as he's had a career of mediocrity with the likes of Millwall and Palace during a dip.

Doubt he costs much, so might be worth it. A good man to have in the trenches, and good cannon fodder as he throws himself at everything.

A player to stop you losing, rather than a player to help you win.

whiteycpfc07
20-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Brilliant news! we can now hoof the ball even more!:hmph:

lozza77
20-08-2008, 12:57 PM
How do you know that we haven't approached Soares already about a contract? His may just be taking longer to agree

Ready Teddy
20-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by nellis
I expect he's on minimal wages as he's had a career of mediocrity with the likes of Millwall and Palace during a dip.

Doubt he costs much, so might be worth it. A good man to have in the trenches, and good cannon fodder as he throws himself at everything.

A player to stop you losing, rather than a player to help you win.

£3k a week, is still £3k a week.......

macstar
20-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Good to have an experienced utility man around. I'm pleased. :)
agree, but Fonnte needs to play ahead of him.

Shipp Ahoy!
20-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Ready Teddy
£3k a week, is still £3k a week.......

I would be overwhelmingly worried if he was on anywhere near £3k a week, would be hoping at his age your looking at no mroe then £1.5k at absolute most!

Barbara4003
20-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by lozza77
How do you know that we haven't approached Soares already about a contract? His may just be taking longer to agree

You could be right, but we normally hear a whisper or two if negotiations have started or are hitting problems :)

henryhallandhisbasque
20-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Excellent emergency measure should we reach the 2nd Division by 2010. We'll need players like Lawrence to get out of the 2nd Division.

GreatGonzo
20-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
I would be overwhelmingly worried if he was on anywhere near £3k a week, would be hoping at his age your looking at no mroe then £1.5k at absolute most!

Would say £3-4k is probably about right.

mattyb21
20-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Good pro and had a good last season but 2 year extensżon total waste of money. would prefer to keep fletcher

TheCharmer
20-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Bet Etrl's delighted too.....

MENTALLY TOUGH
20-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by lozza77

Cause he keeps on going missing when the question is asked.:p

Shipp Ahoy!
20-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

On a 34-36 year old in the Championship? Crazy. I knew football was bad but god almighty!

bradpitt
20-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Terrible news, a step backwards for the CPFC

Skiddo
20-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MENTALLY TOUGH

:D

stevek
20-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by bradpitt
Terrible news, a step backwards for the CPFC How is it a 'backward step' to keep an experienced effective pro for a further year? (And before anyone makes any Morrison/Freedman comments, I'd have kept at least one of them too.)

Owngoal
20-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Its his age and the fact we are supposed to be trying to get promoted, in which case he would be a passenger, in much the same way as Dougie has become (Lawrence can do a good job this year when called upon).

Sussex Eagle
20-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by stevek
How is it a 'backward step' to keep an experienced effective pro for a further year?
There's a case to made that he's too experienced at too low a level. It's not an ambitious move, is it? But on the other hand he is usually solid and seems to be a good level-headed, funny bloke - which doesn't hurt in the dressing room. I don't begrudge him finishing his career at Palace - I just hope he doesn't block the way for any more talented younger players too long.

Barbara4003
20-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MENTALLY TOUGH

Was that supposed to be funny? It's actually very tedious :rolleyes:

wedgetail
20-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Warnock is mad.

Billyd
20-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

Absolutely no chance is he on that

Freddy Kurz
20-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Probably signed for his defensive utility ability, experience, dressing-
room influence and modest wages. Proved his consistency last
season, and is a useful standby for the injury-prone Butterfield,
especially on heavy grounds.

henryhallandhisbasque
20-08-2008, 08:43 PM
What happens to him when we get promoted to the Premiership?? Honest pro and all that, but no way somebody we should extending extending a contract for if Palace had any serious ambitions for promotion. Still, if we had any serious ambitions of promotion, we'd surely have never signed him in the first place.

Falco
20-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
What happens to him when we get promoted to the Premiership?? Honest pro and all that, but no way somebody we should extending extending a contract for if Palace had any serious ambitions for promotion. Still, if we had any serious ambitions of promotion, we'd surely have never signed him in the first place.

Honestly, people on here would gladly give a here-today gone tomorrow player like Nugent etc a £20K a week contract at the drop of a hat - yet us rewarding a proven and dedicated professional who has never let anyone down seems to gain resentment even though his wages would be a fraction of that. I despair, I really do. Sometimes I think that some Palace fans deserve us to go into administration so they understand exactly where the priorities should lie.

By the way, Lawrence is also a far better footballer than people on here seem to think - better than McCarthy (for one).

Freddy Kurz
20-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque

If Palace were promoted they would have the cash to improve the
quality of their squad in a number of positions, but we are still very
much involved in trying to achieve promotion and Lawrence proved
last season that he can still turn in consistent performances at
Championship level. Because of the low level of their gates,
the club is forced to try to achieve promotion on a very tight
budget, which is why they have to retain good squad players
at modest wages, while parting with some of their higher paid
but less consistent performers like Ifill and Fletcher.

It's worth recalling that Lawrence played in virtually all of the
games that made up our 15 game unbeaten run last season
which helped to take them to the promotion play-offs. It
is, surely difficult to argue that a player who had played
such a prominent part in THAT promotion push should
NOT be in a the Palace first-team squad with the same
promotion ambitions THIS season?

We should also recognise that Lawrence was handicapped
at the latter end of last season with a hernia problem,
which has now been repaired, and he will very soon
be fully recovered to play a role in the first-team
should that be required.

Falco
20-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
If Palace were promoted they would have the cash to improve the
quality of their squad in a number of positions, but we are still very
much involved in trying to achieve promotion and Lawrence proved
last season that he can still turn in consistent performances at
Championship level. Because of the low level of their gates,
the club is forced to try to achieve promotion on a very tight
budget, which is why they have to retain good squad players
on modest wages, while parting with some of their higher paid
but less consistent performers like Ifill and Fletcher.

It's worth recalling that Lawrence played in virtually all of the
games that made up our 15 game unbeaten run last season
which helped to take them to the promotion play-offs. It
is, surely difficult to argue that a player who has played
such a prominent part in THAT promotion push is not some
one who should NOT be in a the first-team squad of a
side with promotion ambitions THIS season? We
should also recognise that Lawrence was handicapped
at the latter end of last season with a hernia problem,
which has now been repaired, and he will very soon
be fully recovered to play a full part in the first-team
should he be required.

Hear hear. My suspicion is that when Simon Jordan considers where his money has been wasted over the years, Matt Lawrence's transfer fees and wages won't really enter into the equation. People talk about Bostock being the one which ruins Jordan's faith in football and in supporting Palace - maybe players like Lawrence are ones to redress that.

arussell
21-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB

Err no, instead of Lawrence (who should be the backup player).

David
21-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Another astonishing decision by Warnock!

Beanie
21-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Good or bad decison - and I think an extra year for a utlity player like this is no bad thing - I did see this, and really wish a few others would do the same -

"My agent just looked over the contract to check everything was in place and it was signed, simple as that."

An agent and a player with the right approach - rare combination.

Beanie
21-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
NW said back in about May that he would be starting talks with ALL players with a year on their contracts when they came back in the summer. That should include Soares. Much will depend on Soares approach, but I'd assume he has been more positive about a new deal than Watson, or I'd guess he'd be in the reserves with Watson.

Beanie
21-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Owngoal
This just confirms how poor we are at the contract side of managing the team, continuing the work of Taylor in signing up those at the end of their career (Freedman) but not those who could make a real difference (Ben, Clinton).
I know it been said repeatedly, but the club can't sign a player who doesn't want to to sign. Freedman hasn't been offered anything - quite the reverse. Watson has been offered and has rejected a deal that would have made him the highest paid player at the club, Morrison was offered what he himself called a "great deal" but he chose to go elsewhere. What more could they have done?

Il Padrino
21-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Morrison was offered what he himself called a "great deal"

Only in public

gold76
21-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm surprised at the brickbats tbh. Lawrence is a whole hearted pro, who has given good service & imo deserves his new deal.

That said, I'm surprised he's ahead of Fonte in the pecking order.

Owngoal
21-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Freedman was offered a 2 year contract by Taylor which he signed (last year and this year, on highish wages - don't know the figures, but he 'turned down' chance to play in the middle east). Not Dougies fault, but the writing was on the wall in terms of loss of speed with age. Lawrence still had this year to go and has been given an extra year when he is likely to also see the impact of increasing age on his ability. Our players in their 20s should be on long term deals, not be left until less than a year remains (at least the likes of Moses and scannell are now being tied up). Its not having a go at older players, its just objecting to wasting Jordans cash when we might have to let a youngster go because of lack of money. Again, having seen Fonte play last night it makes reasons for selection difficult to understand (again, no fault of Matty L). If we are in the Prem next year (please god) Matty L will not feature. I'd still like to see Dougie coaching the reserves but Warnock is the kind of guy not to offer second chances.

Beanie
21-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Il Padrino
Only in public
True - but at a time when in fact he had nothing to gain by saying it. He had already turned it down, so if he was angling for an improvement he'd be saying it was poor, and in fact he had no need to comment at all as he wasn't even discussing Palace directly, just what his options were as a free agent.

Crunchie
23-08-2008, 12:23 PM
After the performance that Matt Lawrence put in last season, a real battlers perofrmance too, i would be quite disappointed reading some of the comments on here if I was him. He really is the new 110% man.

I agree that Fonte, and McCarthy should start (haven't seen Ertl) but what is wrong with 5 centre backs in the squad, three of which can play at full back?

Yes, Lawrence does hoof it too often as he isn't the best at bringing the ball out of defence, but he puts it about where it hurts, and doesn't let the team down, and should be part of the first team squad.