PDA

View Full Version : Freedman?

delboy01
21-08-2008, 09:42 PM
If Freedman hs been released how come he played for the reserves at charlton?

If it is the doogster then surley there is hope that he could play himself into the first team.

:lux:

Barbara4003
21-08-2008, 09:47 PM
He hasn't been released as such - he still has a contract with Palace.

I think he may have been transfer listed, which is different to being released :)

UEAgle
21-08-2008, 09:48 PM
HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH ANYMORE.

Hedgehog
21-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Trouble is it seems he had a bad game.

pistol
21-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Thats a shame, because he's proberly the best striker we have at the moment.

pauldrulez
21-08-2008, 10:34 PM
No he isnt

peagle
21-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Sign him as a coach instead!

Jonboy
21-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by peagle
Sign him as a coach instead!

He has been offered terms to join the coaching staff, but he wants to play.

Forever9
21-08-2008, 11:52 PM
How can he be a coach here with Warnock after the way he has treated him

cpfc4evandeva
22-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Forever9

???

Telling him that he's not in his plans? Offering him a coaching role?

Can't see whats wrong with that to be honest.

Nelson Muntz
22-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I've seen Dougie play twice this season. Both times against reserve sides and both times, to be honest, he's been poor.
He does encourage the youngsters on the pitch and has/is taking coaching badges?
No matter how much he wants to play, Dougie needs to have look at himself on tape maybe and realise that he's best days are past him.
I hate to say it, but it seems to me that he's not going to make it even in League 1.
Take a coaching role here Dougie. Sadly the time has come.

917L
22-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that he's not going to make it even in League 1.

Of course he wasnt Leeds best player over a dozen or more games last season was he

Latvian
22-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by UEAgle
HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH ANYMORE.

Harsh but fair, been saying it for seasons...

Nelson Muntz
22-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by 917L
Of course he wasnt Leeds best player over a dozen or more games last season was he
That was over three months ago and he was poor in the Final. Did you not see the Fulham game?

stevek
22-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Of course he wasnt Leeds best player over a dozen or more games last season was he So good that they're not interested in signing him now? (Having said that, I still think he could do a job for us off the bench.)

Matt_Hep
22-08-2008, 08:41 AM
That was over three months ago

Classic. Wherever you stand in the Dougie debate please take a few moments to enjoy this statement.

Owngoal
22-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Dougie was really trying against Charlton reserves and the old Dougie was just not there. Its horrible to see. The coaching job was offered and he did not take it, unlikely to still be there (Allison did the same to Venables who took the job in a similar position). He did well at Leeds, their reasons for signing him given by Bates were not on ability in that division but his family and uprooting for a year. Ideally Dougie needs a club below chamionship level where he can travel to from home still, but it would never be Millwall (personally, I'd love to see him do well anywhere). I wish he could do a job for us off the bench but as Nelson and half the BBS have said, he can't anymore.

The Sniper
22-08-2008, 09:00 AM
The Doug is a great man, sadly we have to move on now.

Budgie Byrne
22-08-2008, 09:12 AM
That was over three months ago and he was poor in the Final. Did you not see the Fulham game?

I think to judge him on the Fulham match is rather harsh. It was his testimonial and he had a lot of meeting and greeting to do that evening hardly the best preperation for any match.

With regard to his other appearances I am certain that the current off the field situation he finds himself in is not helping his game.

He wants to stay at the club and play, but certainly a week or two back that did not seem possible, but he wants to keep playing. I would imagine that his mind is not clear at present, so you cannot expect his best performances.

If the manager is happy for him to stay and play for his place you will see the best of him. With the chances of new strikers coming in, seeming to receed at present, perhaps he will be given the chance to show what he can still do and I am certain he will not let the team down.

I think it would have been better if the manager had told him at the end of last season that he should find a new club. He would have had more time to sort himself out. However leaving it late in the day to tell him that he would not feature and take away the treasured no' 9 shirt is disappointing. It has not helped anybody in the end.

At this stage it would appear that the club will need everybody pulling together to get us through what could be a difficult period. Dougie is one we can be sure will give it all for the team, either on the pitch, the bench or just part of the squad. Don't write him off just yet!

Nelson I am sure you would agree that even given the fact that Aki is perhaps not at his best anymore, he would still bring much to the team and the club as a whole if we could tempt him back! Even just to make the tea, Dougie and Aki's love for the club and will to be winners and entertain are worth a salary alone.

CPFC_R_GREAT
22-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Doog was on BBC Radio Leeds last night, explaining his side of the Leeds Utd/ Bates argument....He was saying that despite Bates saying he doesn't want to move his family etc....Doog has not actually spoken to anyone official at Leeds since the Playoff Final.

He gave a really good account of himself and his life etc and where he feels he is at the moment. He knows the offer of a coaching role is available to him, but he still feels he can do a job somewhere (but only if the challenge is right).

He's still very much a Palace player, training hard and working hard. Hoping for a chance really, but he is also waiting for the phone to ring and is very open to listen to offers...

My mate was presenting the show on which he appeared, so i just said say two words to him "Stockport 2001"

At which he laughed and said "oh he's embarrassed me with that now, I was just doing my job really"...

He's such a humble and lovely man, still very passionate about playing, as he has been advised by many ex-pro's to keep playing just as long as is physically possible.

Wish you could have all listened to it, but I forgot to inform people he was going to be on....

delboy01
22-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Whether he is good enough or not he is a palace legend and a top bloke to boot. The size of the crowd at his testimonial says it all when compared with other pre-season attendances.

I would love to see him stay at palace as coach and I hope he reconsiders.

Ready Teddy
22-08-2008, 10:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/7576060.stm

CPFC_R_GREAT
22-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Yay, you can all have a listen

Owngoal
22-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Article in link from Ready Teddy (link has the audio available). He is determined to play on. Leeds are at least a 'big' club.

Crystal Palace striker Dougie Freedman has hinted that he would move back to Leeds United if the club offered him the right deal.

Chairman Ken Bates said he would not re-sign Freedman, believing he would not move his family to West Yorkshire.

But Freedman told BBC Radio Leeds: "I've decided that I will be leaving London to carry on playing football.

"I wouldn't go just anywhere, I'm looking for an opportunity that excites me and challenges me."

The 34-year-old had a successful loan spell at Elland Road last season, scoring six goals in 14 appearances, and is available for transfer.

He's obviously not going to move his family up here for what would be only a one-or-two year contract

Leeds chairman Ken Bates

Last week, Bates told Leeds' website: "Dougie did a good job for us last season, there is no doubt about that.

"We have to look forward not back. Our future is in youth," he added.

"He's got four kids, is happily married and he's obviously not going to move his family up here for what would be only a one-or-two year contract.

"It would not be fair to ask him to live in a hotel for 12 months."

It had been thought that Freedman would take up a coaching role at the end of this season, but he revealed: "I'm taking the decision that I will play as long as I can. I will be leaving Crystal Palace.

"I've been offered a coaching role but I want to play, so that's my situation. What comes out of Leeds I can't really control."

Although an offer from Leeds looks unlikely, Freedman says he would consider one if it was right.

He said: "I'm looking for a challenge and it has got to be the right deal, with the right club, with the right manager, and the club has to be challenging [for honours].

"I will then move my family to go and play some football. If the right deal comes up I will look forward to that.

"Ken Bates controls his club and I do think he's right that he's got to look at youth and I cannot agree with him more, and if that's the way he wants to go then fine - that's not a problem.

"But I haven't spoken to anyone representing Leeds at all since the play-off final."

Matt_Hep
22-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Get a run-out and go for it Doug, we all know you've still got it in abundance.

TurkeyTwizzler
22-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Not if we are playing hoofball he hasn't. I can see it dropping just over his head and to the centre back every single time.

However, I think Carle and Dougie could work really well together in creating chances ON THE DECK for another striker.

Nelson Muntz
22-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Matt_Hep
Get a run-out and go for it Doug, we all know you've still got it in abundance. You live in cloud-cuckoo land.

Nelson Muntz
22-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Budgie Byrne
I think to judge him on the Fulham match is rather harsh.

Nelson I am sure you would agree that even given the fact that Aki is perhaps not at his best anymore, he would still bring much to the team and the club as a whole if we could tempt him back! Even just to make the tea, Dougie and Aki's love for the club and will to be winners and entertain are worth a salary alone.
I haven't just judged him on the Fulham game. I watched the reserve game on Wednesday against Charlton.
Not sure what it's got to do with Aki, but he moved on when the time was right for him and the club. Aki is winding his playing career down now.

Harry Holmesdale
22-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I really do wish people would move on

If Dougie is so good why are no CCC clubs trying to sign him, why are Leeds dithering, he has not done it for us for a number of years now

If you look at it objectively he hasn't done anything in a Palace shirt for a while, is on decent money and yet is not in the managers plans, legend or not, we have to move him on

Matt_Hep
22-08-2008, 01:19 PM
You live in cloud-cuckoo land.

haha, it man - if he works hard enough and gets a chance i hope he takes it!

jhc
22-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Was training at Beckenham this morning and wants to play (preferably with Palace) but isn't part of NW's plans it would seem.

m355y
22-08-2008, 04:56 PM
He was more than good for us, he was brilliant. I find it so hard to imagine that he's not capable of playing at Championship level for another couple of years. The Freedman we saw at Leeds was energetic, talented, influential and clinical, more than able to last 90 minutes and his strike rate for the brief time he was here eclipsed Beckford's. When he was in his stride he looked way too good for this level.

I can compare him to a fair few 30-something cluggers we've had at the club recently - Geoff Horsfield, for example. He really did look past it, was usually taken off after 55-65 mins, no pace, no agility, this great lumbering mass crashing awkwardly through the defence, falling over and taking ten minutes to get up again. Compared to him, Dougie was an olympic gymnast. I saw nothing at all that said he was a potential injury risk or in any way past it. IIRC his only injury issue while he was here was a nasty case of the runs.

Shit, I just don't understand this, it's really giving me a headache. What did he do wrong? He came (reluctantly), he performed very well. He was crap in the play-off final but so was the entire team. I expected that if Dougie decided he'd like to come, we'd absolutely leap on it in a flash. If we gave him a 2-year deal, he'd be just 36 when it ended. Hardly Dean Windass.

As for him not performing in the reserves....dunno, it must be pretty hard to give your best when you're shunted off to the reserve side of the team you love, knowing you'll never play for the first team again. I don't blame him if he's not tearing up trees there.

The fans really, really want him at Leeds. Ken Bates doesn't. Great.

Paul Romain
22-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Regardless of what Warnock has said in the past I think there are very definite signs that he is prepared to play Dougie and Watson now. Both are back training with the first team, having been shunted off to train with the academy kids previously. Both played for the reserves, ahead of one of our new signings who was on the bench. Our start to the season has been so poor that common sense is going to win out here I think. Unless things change on the transfer frontquite quickly I suspect we may see one or both of them in a Palace shirt again yet. Sooner rather than later.

CP Satellite
22-08-2008, 05:51 PM
It's a rotten thing to say - but Dougie should turn his attention to coaching. Dougie's game is built around playing a killer pass or using his footballing brain to get the better of defenders and get a shot away - and I'm afraid his timing for this type of game has gone.

It was only a reserve game the other night at Bromley - but I'm afraid Dougie was intercepted several times - and that Charlton side did'nt look any great shakes. I'm sure - at a lower level, his skill would still shine through - and just like at Leeds last season, he would look a class apart. But he just would'nt get the time or space needed in the CCC to play his game - and that is why he is out - I'm very sad to say.

It's time to move on Dougie - get that footballing brain working and coaching or managing a team - with that great flair you have always shown.

Beatleboy
22-08-2008, 06:12 PM
The BBC article sounds like, " come and get me Leeds, I am waiting."

andy m
22-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I love the man, but having not seen much of him for a while, mainly because I don't go to reserve games, I've refrained from posting on here that he might still be able to do a job for us because I don't know if its the case or not. However, I have to say I'm more inclined to agree with M355Y's take than anyone elses because it based on a recent run of games at a competetive level. Are you really telling me that a stirker who looked good in a decent League 1 side that was challenging for promotion can't be of use to a team in the division above that doesn't have any other options?

I like Warnock, I don't blame him for Morrison going, but I can't help thinking that he's spent a lot of time huffing and puffing in the press about how unlucky he'd been in the transfer market. Lets face it, if a striker had played for Leeds in the last 12 games of last season and produced what Dougie produced, but was, say, 20, you'd see lots of suggestion threads in the Transfer forum. I accept we wouldn't want to waste a transfer fee on a 34 year old, but we don't have to - he's already here.

Just seems crazy to me to write somebody off despite a decent record when given a recent run at a good level and exactly NO replacement. I'm not saying he's the long term answer - not even past January necessarily, but right now we've got nothing else.

917L
22-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Yes I saw his testemonial, hardly a game to monitor his performance was it

Beanie
23-08-2008, 10:14 AM
What's Warnock done? Told him his playing days are coing to an end - hard to hear and probably a matter of opinion but honest and it happens to all players eventually. offered him a coaching job - not all ex-players are offered that, told him he's free to any club he can as he wants to play on.

The problem is......??

Beanie
23-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes I saw his testemonial, hardly a game to monitor his performance was it
True if taken in isolation, but from what I saw pre-season and from people who've seen more of him, it's not. Better to recognise the signs and go when we wish he'd stayed than leave when we're pleased he's going.