PDA

View Full Version : Time for a passing game. Welcome back Ben Watson!

glaziers fan
25-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Brilliant to see him on the bench on Sat. Just what we need. let's hope he plays some part vs Leeds.

Time to get him ready for the first 11.

Once we play the passing game, we can start controlling games. Ben Watson is the man to make it happen, and to get us scoring goals. He can kickstart our season and our stuttering start will be long forgotten in a matter of weeks. Let's face it, things can hardly get worse! ;)

Welcome back:lux:

Ps. I'm going to be saying my prayers this week! :p

917L
25-08-2008, 01:28 PM
He's being sold, so is unlikely to figure

Get used to it, he's leaving

Maz
25-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Is "Get over it" the phrase for the 2008/9 season?

James
25-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Is "Get over it" the phrase for the 2008/9 season? Yes. Get over it Maz.

the digger
25-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Better come to terms with it Maz, its here to stay.

RDSdaEAGLE
25-08-2008, 01:55 PM
We need to sell him. I hope he gets sold as soon as possible for as much as possible.

Having him around now is doing us absolutely no good when fans spend more time creaming their cecks about who's on the subs bench than actually paying attention to who's on the pitch.

thefox
25-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Did you hear Warnocks interview on palace radio after the game .

I thought about putting Watson on , but then....

and then i was going to put Watson on ,but....

and .... it was more important to put ..... on

It just seemed a bit like he was putting him on the bench , but putting people on ahead of him even a lot less experienced Dijali to sort of say you're not that important these people are ahead of you as a lesson.

Just a thought and whether i see that as him saying get your act together and sign a contract you're not as good as you think you are or wanted to pee him off and make him leave i don't know.

Either way i want him to stay.

Maz
25-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Eh?

I had presumed Dijali came on because we needed some speed to slow Burnley down, (something which Ben could not have done).

Dijali or Watson? You make it sound liek a straight choice; it is not.

Penstone Eagle
25-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Brilliant to see him on the bench on Sat. Just what we need. let's hope he plays some part vs Leeds.

Once we play the passing game, we can start controlling games. Ben Watson is the man to make it happen, and to get us scoring goals. He can kickstart our season and our stuttering start will be long forgotten in a matter of weeks. Let's face it, things can hardly get worse! ;)

We don't play a passing game at all so what difference would Watson playing make, surely you don't think he is that influential that NW would adopt a passing game just because Watson is in the team.

Riley
25-08-2008, 02:07 PM
There was no need for Watson to come on as Fonte was breaking up play, tackling really well and passing out of defence already. Dijali was a better option in that situation to run the ball up the pitch and try to push them back as best as possible.

Does anyone else want to see Fonte given a go in def mid against Leeds? Just to see if it could work, like.

little dedders
25-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
We need to sell him. I hope he gets sold as soon as possible for as much as possible.

Having him around now is doing us absolutely no good when fans spend more time creaming their cecks about who's on the subs bench than actually paying attention to who's on the pitch.

i agree lets get rid of moses and fonte too

Maz
25-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by little dedders
i agree lets get rid of moses and fonte too They have signed contracts have they not?

Watson has not.

A small but important point.

917L
25-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by thefox

It just seemed a bit like he was putting him on the bench , but putting people on ahead of him even a lot less experienced Dijali to sort of say you're not that important these people are ahead of you as a lesson.

No it didnt

We had two players sent off which changed the complection of the game, there was never a decent opportunity to utiulise Watson in the circumstances

917L
25-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Is that a deliberately stupid comment?

Or do you really not see the diffence between different players situations?

RDSdaEAGLE
25-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 917L
Is that ad deliberately stupid comment?

:D Exactly!

thefox
25-08-2008, 03:52 PM
No it didnt

We had two players sent off which changed the complection of the game, there was never a decent opportunity to utiulise Watson in the circumstances

Just an opinion.

In the interview it just seemed like he was saying i run the show here in a subtle way.

glaziers fan
25-08-2008, 04:02 PM

:D

Let's all just agree with everything Warnock does, blindly.

kolinkins
25-08-2008, 04:06 PM
:D

Let's all just agree with everything Warnock does, blindly.

Warnock has reacted. the action (or lack thereof) is all Ben's

glaziers fan
25-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Is that a deliberately stupid comment?

Why are Moses and Fonte on the bench then?

Using RSDAeagle's logic we should get rid of them to stop the fans unrest.

If Warnock doesn't think they are worth starting they are probably not needed anyway.

I think that's his logic anyway.

Bit silly to have the 3 most talented players in the squad sitting on the bench.

Not to mention Dougie Freedman when you have failed people like Oster and griffit on 6 month deals cos they are so useless that the club dont want to commit beyond then just strolling into the team.

The latter of which didnt even play in a reserve game.

It's disgraceful.

917L
25-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Why are Moses and Fonte on the bench then?

Beacuse the Manager chose to put them there

Its not difficult to comprehend, or is it?

gadford4th
25-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Watson won't want to be cup tied will he?

glaziers fan
25-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Warnock has reacted. the action (or lack thereof) is all Ben's

I'm not blaming Warnock for what he's done with regard to Ben. I have never said he should be starting. Have a look at my posts.

All I am saying is that the sycophantic brown-nosing makes me feel physically sick.

It's like having an opinion other than Warnock's is worth less, just cos he's our manager. It's pathetic.

In this case though, NW is right.

I just hope Watson is here in 7 days time.

Here's hoping the afformentioned clubs do not increase their bids!

glaziers fan
25-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Beacuse the Manager chose to put them there

Its not difficult to comprehend, or is it?

It is when we have yet to score a goal in a league game and Fonte looks amazing every time he comes onto the pitch

kolinkins
25-08-2008, 04:13 PM

All I am saying is that the sycophantic brown-nosing makes me feel physically sick.

Oh the irony

917L
25-08-2008, 04:20 PM
It is when we have yet to score a goal in a league game and Fonte looks amazing every time he comes onto the pitch

And Moses hasnt scored has he, like any of our other Strikers

he started the first two games and would no doubt have been intriduced yesterday had the circumstances not conspired against us.

SE25Eagle
25-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Great post:p

RDSdaEAGLE
25-08-2008, 06:13 PM

It's like having an opinion other than Warnock's is worth less, just cos he's our manager. It's pathetic.

That's absolutely hilarious. You have your nose so far up Watson's backside that your head's pretty much stuck there.

cpfc4evandeva
25-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Because the defence, so far, has looked ok.

I'd like to see Fonte, but its the other end of the pitch that we need to sort out.

Biggineagle
25-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Get real you plank if he is the best passer we got, then god help us:clown:

FromSelhurst
25-08-2008, 07:51 PM

yeh lets blame watson for us being shit.

rainbow_child
25-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by FromSelhurst

Not for being shit just for being greedy & not singing the contract that would of made him our current highest earner.

If he was getting a move to a Premier club then fair enough but he wants to go to Q.P.R. :rolleyes:

David
25-08-2008, 08:39 PM

I've heard it all now.

Ben Watson is a decent player but he is not as good as you make out.

Ben Watson only found form last season when Shaun Derry was brought to the club and he allowed Watson the time to play. Watson was abysmal before that and in no way whatsoever 'controlled games!'

He is not Cesc Fabregas, Gareth Barry or even David Hopkin (the first time). David Hopkin was a player who could take the game by the scruff of the neck and win us games, Watson is not in that class. It's getting more than a little boring seeing posts which think if Ben Watson comes back we will win the championship.

Barbara4003
25-08-2008, 08:51 PM
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy! ;)

Biggineagle
25-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy! ;)

Barbara im beggining to warm to your sense of humour:p what are you doing tomorrow night?:D

Barbara4003
25-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Biggineagle
Barbara im beggining to warm to your sense of humour:p what are you doing tomorrow night?:D

:D :hi:

Freddy Kurz
25-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by thefox
Did you hear Warnocks interview on palace radio after the game .

I thought about putting Watson on , but then....

and then i was going to put Watson on ,but....

and .... it was more important to put ..... on

Just a thought and whether i see that as him saying get your act together and sign a contract you're not as good as you think you are or wanted to pee him off and make him leave i don't know.

Either way i want him to stay.

Warnock's remarks about Watson at the week-end were delivered,
not for the benefit of the despairing few on BBS who still believe,
against all logic, that he will be staying, but to concentrate the
minds of those clubs whose valuation of the player are nearing
Jordan's. The present game of brinkmanship in which our
manager is threatening to cup-tie Watson by playing him v
Leeds is aimed at trying to extract extra dosh from those
who most desire his services........

Take it from me Neil Warnock is even craftier than your bushy-
tailed namesake when it comes to wheeling and dealing in the
transfer market. He is also well aware that he will only be
able to bring in the goal-scorer so many of our fans demand
by offloading Watson for a decent fee, and hopefully moving
on at least one of our high-earners currently on the transfer-
list.

RDSdaEAGLE
25-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Errr, how did you work that out? :rolleyes:

I.Flyer
25-08-2008, 09:37 PM
At what point is it when 'potential' ends and confirmation of 'ability/talent' begins? Ben appears to be an average player and would have well suited us as an average team if he had realised his own limitations.

In the present circumstances, created by himself I believe, the sooner he is gone the better.

GreatGonzo
25-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by I.Flyer
At what point is it when 'potential' ends and confirmation of 'ability/talent' begins? Ben appears to be an average player and would have well suited us as an average team if he had realised his own limitations.

In the present circumstances, created by himself I believe, the sooner he is gone the better.

He had a large number of assists last season, and hit the woodwork himself more than any other player in the division, as well as scoring a few goals. He was such a key player the club offered the highest contract at the club apparently, one would suggest that his ability and talent were here and now and being rewarded.

Why did he want to leave? well we do not know. Not many clubs will see their captain, their best midfielder, their top scorer and top youth product all want to leave at the same time. Maybe Palace don't pay enough, maybe it is not a place people want to be.

Seba
25-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Biggineagle
Get real you plank if he is the best passer we got, then god help us:clown: To be fair, he is almost certainly the best passer we have. Compared to Derry, Fonte, Fletcher, Butterfield, Moses, Scannell, Scowcroft, Hill, McCarthy, Lawrence and Soares he is probably the most talented at playing the ball. Only Nicky Carle comes close.

Still, Warnock doesn't seem to rate passers anyway, so this is by the by.

LLCOOLSTEVE
25-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Amazing.... really amazing.

Ben is easily the best passer at the club, he is the best set piece taker, and best free kick taker.

with him in the team we look alot better, he comes short to take it of the defenders and looks to spread the ball wide, he likes to look for the killer ball and often gets slagged off for doing this as "giving it away".

Oh boy.

So he didnt sign his contract offer, so what, it might have made him the highest earner at the club, but we dont know the terms, it might have been a 2 year contract, and quite rightly he may want a 3 or 4 yr deal. Without knowing all the damn facts people should stop slagging him off so much.

Sussex Eagle
25-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't bear any ill will towards Watson, it's hardly a Bostock situation is it? He's played 150+ times for us and done a very good job at times. If he wants to move on, so be it. If we can't get the money we want/he doesn't like the move he's offered, and he's in the right frame of mind to play this season, he's worthy of a first team place.

With all that said, glaziers is a loon.

dufski13
25-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
He is also well aware that he will only be
able to bring in the goal-scorer so many of our fans demand

I doubt the main motivation for warnock wanting to bring in strikers is fans demanding it, I certainly hope not anyway. It is plain to see we are desperate for 1, probably 2, goalscorers. Without them we are in trouble, & the game of brinksmanship is drawing to a close.

FromSelhurst
26-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Errr, how did you work that out? :rolleyes:

'having him around now is doing us absolutely no good...'

FromSelhurst
26-08-2008, 06:47 AM
did hayden ever get treated like this for not signing a contract?

kolinkins
26-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Hayden wasnt offered a deal making him the best paid player at the club.

Sussex Eagle
26-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Drunk on success and beer I chucked a pint in Haydens' general direction as the Sham coach passed us after the game in Cardiff. And I liked him. Wasn't popular for a while, was he?

Latvian
26-08-2008, 09:53 AM
'having him around now is doing us absolutely no good...'

Think RDS was having more of a dig at the fans than the team's performances

steve hail
26-08-2008, 11:45 AM
BŁŁger new contracts. Anyone the club is paying is available for selection. Play Ben Watson AND Nick Carle, change to a passing game (with any changes in defensive and/or attacking personel that might imply - I am thinking Moses and perhaps Scannell), stop worrying about being outmuscled by big brawny defenders and OUTRUN/OUTPASS them.

PLAY THE BEST 11 PLAYERS AND PLAY TO OUR STRENGTHS.

Well, that is what I think. However, this is in no way disloyal to NW, who has earned the right to full support in whatever decisions he makes. It is just an opinion, and one shared by many who live much nearer SP than I do and are not reliant on the internet.

FromSelhurst
26-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Hayden wasnt offered a deal making him the best paid player at the club.

why does making him the best paid player at the club matter, hayden wanted a new challenge, so does ben.

David
26-08-2008, 02:06 PM
why does making him the best paid player at the club matter, hayden wanted a new challenge, so does ben.

Difference is Hayden went onto a much bigger club in West Ham, whereas Ben is clearly not wanted at Premiership level, hence the lack of real interest.

FromSelhurst
26-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by David
Difference is Hayden went onto a much bigger club in West Ham, whereas Ben is clearly not wanted at Premiership level, hence the lack of real interest.

hayden joined west ham when they were in the championship.

what has no premiership club wanting ben got to do with it anyway?

ben wants a new challenge, having spoken to him quiet a bit last season that would be the premiership or a club challenging for it, our manager comes out says hes predicting midtable thats hardly gonna inspire him to sign the deal is it whatever hes being paid. a whole summer in limbo, his future still unclear, being made to play for the reserves, training with the youth team - has ben come out publicly complaining or demanding a move, no. his attitude has no doubt been good enough for him to force warnocks arm into putting him onto the bench as well.

Sussex Eagle
26-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Erm, lest you forget we went on to beat West Ham to promotion that season, much bigger club my bleeding anus. But he made a good move in the long run.

David
26-08-2008, 03:28 PM
hayden joined west ham when they were in the championship.

what has no premiership club wanting ben got to do with it anyway?

Because you said he wants a new challenge, how is going to a team in the same division a new challenge?

David
26-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Erm, lest you forget we went on to beat West Ham to promotion that season, much bigger club my bleeding anus. But he made a good move in the long run.

I haven't forgotten but at the time he left we were pretty poor.

FromSelhurst
26-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Because you said he wants a new challenge, how is going to a team in the same division a new challenge?

new team mates, new training ground, new home maybe, new stadium, new manager, new coaches, new supporters, new chairman, new kit .. how is it not?

Crunchie
26-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Let's face it, things can hardly get worse! ;)

They just have.

Not made much different tonight has he?

Don't get me wrong, I do not for one minute lay any responsibility at Bens door for this result, as originally i hoped he would sign a new contract, but has hardly turned our fortunes as you said he would has it? Not really as simple as that.

elgin eagle
26-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Its a team game, and we're not playing as one at the moment, due to being toothless up front. Playing Watson might help the creativity, but not in cameos. The side needs to play to its strengths, that plainly isn't happening yet. Fortunatley its a very long season and we're just 3 games in.

Crunchie
26-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by elgin eagle
Its a team game, and we're not playing as one at the moment, due to being toothless up front. Playing Watson might help the creativity, but not in cameos. The side needs to play to its strengths, that plainly isn't happening yet. Fortunatley its a very long season and we're just 3 games in.

Couldn't agree more.

Just illustrating the point that Glaziers Fan and Great Gonzo like to blame everything on Watson not playing, and then when he does things didn't click.

They have to blame someone else i suppose.

I do agree though we have seemed to have the weakest pre season in a very long time and the lack of options up front is obvious.

However i hope the first two rounds of the carling cup is part of our pre season, saving ourselves for a the latter quarter of what will be a very long season, and that we will have a busy week on the transfer front whether it is permanent or loan deals.