PDA

View Full Version : What are the financial implications of relegation to Div 1


old geezer
26-08-2008, 07:45 PM
If we get relegated, I am afraid this is a distinct possibility, what are the financial implcations of dropping one more division. If we go down Jordan will find it even more difficult to sell the club

Typical Palace
26-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Good grief

Sussex Eagle
26-08-2008, 07:56 PM
26-08-2008 08:45 PM

When the worms began to turn? :rolleyes:

unsensibleLiam
26-08-2008, 07:57 PM
SSSH. Stop being so negative.

Super-Ste-Cious
26-08-2008, 07:59 PM
:D :S:

3 games in, 3 games!!! I don't give a flying about the crappy cup so I'm not counting that. Tell me is this a yearly hissy fit some fans suffer?

Les Butler
26-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Dooooooomed....Dooooooooooooomed I say !!!!


:D

We had this last year if I remember right ?

We got into the playoffs in the end...I think .

ANDYEAGLE
26-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Whats this got to do with transfers? Forgetting the negative question after 3 games.

Super-Ste-Cious
26-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler
We had this last year if I remember right ?

We got into the playoffs in the end...I think .

Indeed, my point exactly. An annual hissy fit - but good thing is, we normally then exceed expectations.

dufski13
26-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Super-Ste-Cious
Indeed, my point exactly. An annual hissy fit - but good thing is, we normally then exceed expectations.

You may be right, but who the f**k is going to score the goals that drag us away from trouble & up the table this year ?

christopher
26-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Are you fishing or just mental? :)

Ralph
26-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Financial ruin if we go down. But dont worry we'll leave Selhurst and shack up with Gillingham. Anyone else hear Jordan coming out in support of Charles Koppell. Alarming.

However if we do go down we'll become even more dependent on our kids and will start to see a far higher quality of football as a result.

Super-Ste-Cious
26-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by dufski13
You may be right, but who the f**k is going to score the goals that drag us away from trouble & up the table this year ?

No doubt we need a striker or two. But to talk about relegation after 3 games is stupid. If we are still in this stich come December then I could understand.

Oisin
26-08-2008, 08:46 PM
No one has ever been relegated in August, not even Sunderland

Will S
26-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Oisin
No one has ever been relegated in August, not even Sunderland

You're quite wrong - Derby were relegated in July.

SE25Eagle
26-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by old geezer
If we get relegated, I am afraid this is a distinct possibility, what are the financial implcations of dropping one more division. If we go down Jordan will find it even more difficult to sell the club

:clown: :clown: :clown:

red&blue_moomin
26-08-2008, 10:49 PM
woe woe woe thrice woe is me.

FFS fourth league game of the season coming up and the window is still open we are actively trying to get players in and yet we get gibber like this.

Scrumpy
26-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Cheaper match day tickets!

Hooray! :-)

davidhopkin
26-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Let Warnock find his best team, let the team gel. I'd say by mid September we'll be up and running again, some of you need to calm down. Look at Sunderland when they got promoted the other year.

sw16girl
26-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Financial ruin if we go down. But dont worry we'll leave Selhurst and shack up with Gillingham. Anyone else hear Jordan coming out in support of Charles Koppell. Alarming.

However if we do go down we'll become even more dependent on our kids and will start to see a far higher quality of football as a result.

Jordan and Koppell have always been good friends and remain so now.

If we do not go up we are very likely to be in big trouble unless an exception buyer can be found.

jobiinthelastmi
26-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by davidhopkin
Let Warnock find his best team, let the team gel. I'd say by mid September we'll be up and running again, some of you need to calm down. Look at Sunderland when they got promoted the other year.

They spent a fortune on players like Carlos Edwards, Kavanagh.. etc

Money we don't have,

Anyone at the moment striker wise would be an improvement on what we have.

Still holding out for Stern John and Webber they would do very nicely!

ardley24
26-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi

Still holding out for Stern John and Webber they would do very nicely!

dont hold your breath apparently were in talks with a striker from scotland

davidhopkin
27-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
They spent a fortune on players like Carlos Edwards, Kavanagh.. etc

Money we don't have,

Anyone at the moment striker wise would be an improvement on what we have.

Still holding out for Stern John and Webber they would do very nicely!


Yer, your not wrong there mate, but some people seem to think were gonna be playing a league below next year. With Warnock's experience aswell, I can honestly doubt we'll be like this in a month's time.

Dorking .Eagle
27-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Scrumpy
Cheaper match day tickets!

Hooray! :-)

Extra cup games thanks to the Leyland Daf Sherpa Van Auto Windscreen Johnstone Paint Shield trophy thing.

macstar
27-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by davidhopkin
Let Warnock find his best team, let the team gel.

isn't that what pre-season is for?

dagenham_dick
27-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
They spent a fortune on players like Carlos Edwards, Kavanagh.. etc

Money we don't have,

Anyone at the moment striker wise would be an improvement on what we have.

Still holding out for Stern John and Webber they would do very nicely!

Whilst i'm under no illusion this years going to be rubbish, i can't see it being that bad, don't worry old geeezer the nurse will be round with the medication soon.

If SJ is serious about selling the club, having a bad season is the worse thing he wants. it's like those crappy Home makeover shows, clear out all your crap, paint it up abit & get 10k more, two decent strikers & bobs your uncle.

Richard
27-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Financial ruin if we go down. But dont worry we'll leave Selhurst and shack up with Gillingham. Anyone else hear Jordan coming out in support of Charles Koppell. Alarming. No. What was that about ?

sw16girl
27-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Richard
No. What was that about ?

If it was the same time that I heard it, it was on the Talkshow interview with Mr Jordan just after he had said he was leaving. Ian Wright was saying about football needing people like him and he said others had left football too and mentioned Charlie Koppell - which seemed to nonpluss Wrighty who probably didn't know who he was.

As I said above CK and SJ remain good friends so not that surprising.

Dorking .Eagle
27-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Just as clubs are no doubt holding out till deadline day for cheeky bids on Watson and Ifill, I suspect interested buyers for CPFC may well be thinking they could get a bargain and knock down the purchase price if we have a dreadful season.

I do wonder almost if we could almost be more attractive to a new buyer if we drop down a division, as there is more chance of beating SJ down on the asking price

Richard
27-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
I do wonder almost if we could almost be more attractive to a new buyer if we drop down a division, as there is more chance of beating SJ down on the asking price It's a good point.

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
27-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Palace on 3 league game winless streak:eek:
Palace lose to lower league club in Carling Cup:eek:

My God, we're moving into unchartered waters........:D

Ralph
27-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sw16girl
If it was the same time that I heard it, it was on the Talkshow interview with Mr Jordan just after he had said he was leaving. Ian Wright was saying about football needing people like him and he said others had left football too and mentioned Charlie Koppell - which seemed to nonpluss Wrighty who probably didn't know who he was.

As I said above CK and SJ remain good friends so not that surprising.

This is the exact show I was talking about and then lots of comments kicked off on the AFC Messageboards. Rumour (and hopefully scaremongering) that Jordan has had regular offers pertaining to moving the club to new stadia out of the area. Jordan has always rebuked these but when times are hard....

anyway, Im sure the FA changed the rules so we cant have another MK Dons on our hands.

Dorking .Eagle
27-08-2008, 09:24 AM
I knew it was going tits up if we'd have stuck with Kember, and Jordan acted at the right time to change things.

I knew it was going tits up if we'd have stuck with Taylor, and Jordan acted at the right time to change things.

I've just got a bad gut feeling at the moment. There's no way Jordan will ship out Warnock, not even with two games to go like he did with Alan Smith. So Warnock really needs an injection of quality into the squad - not major surgery but a couple of key signings at least. I suspect August (Sept 1st) deadline day will be critical as to the direction of our season, as with the right aquisitions and team changes, there's no reason why this season can't be as good as what he achieved last season.

davidhopkin
27-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by macstar
isn't that what pre-season is for?


Well, you don't make a load of signings at once do you? It's like we just signed John Oster and Leandre Griffit, pre season is about gelling, but more importantly fitness. The transfer market is still open while the season is going on. So really they will still need more time to gel.

sw16girl
27-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
This is the exact show I was talking about and then lots of comments kicked off on the AFC Messageboards. Rumour (and hopefully scaremongering) that Jordan has had regular offers pertaining to moving the club to new stadia out of the area. Jordan has always rebuked these but when times are hard....

anyway, Im sure the FA changed the rules so we cant have another MK Dons on our hands.

Arsenal messageboards or Wimbledon ones? -I do not remember a lot of talk saying SJ has had regular offers to move out (and I post on the main Wimbledon messageboard a fair bit). However there was and has been a persistant rumour about moving out to Crawley way - I do know no approach has ever been made to Crawley Council (who own Crawley's ground) about any such move - or at least no approach had been made up to about a year ago at least.

The FA and the FL have certainly tightened the rules but then the move to MK was against the official rules but that didn't stop it happening. The problem with a London club is that the rules as they stand would allow a move to another area of London. It might also be possible to get a dispensation to move further out - however just because SJ and CK are mates does not mean that that is what he is automatically going to think about. It is a very different situation.

dufski13
27-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Doesn't matter, once we get 1 or 2 strikers in & the team settles down we'll be alright. We won't go down, it's been a poor start no doubt, but I still expect us to be pushing for a top 6 finish come May. We are always start poorly, & I always have to get a hold of myself & give myself a slap to remind myself it'll be alright & to calm down ! ;)

GUCCI Eagle
27-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I think someone will buy Palace before Christmas. Similar situation to QPR.

Latvian Eagle
27-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Another reason why I'm fed up of this BBS!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone instantly lambasts someone because they dare to ask the unthinkable?! So someone thinks we might get relegated, and someone else doesn't! No need to start jumping on them and calling them all the names under the sun.

Let's just say we did get relegated, then what would the financial implications be? It's a simple question. Whether you believe we'll go down or not. It's a what if question, it doens't matter what you believe... It's about your opinion on the question at hand, not our season as it stands.

dufski13
27-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Another reason why I'm fed up of this BBS!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone instantly lambasts someone because they dare to ask the unthinkable?! So someone thinks we might get relegated, and someone else doesn't! No need to start jumping on them and calling them all the names under the sun.

Let's just say we did get relegated, then what would the financial implications be? It's a simple question. Whether you believe we'll go down or not. It's a what if question, it doens't matter what you believe... It's about your opinion on the question at hand, not our season as it stands.

So tell me, do you think that if we'd won all 5 games played so far this season with sparkling football ,someone would have started a thread asking the implications of relegation ?

Latvian Eagle
27-08-2008, 12:34 PM
No I don't think that, but it's not the point is it. The point is the question has been asked. No need to start criticising that person. Everyone's entitled to a view.

I don't see why people can't give a view without slating people because they have a different perspective?! :confused: I don't actually have an idea about the financial implications myself, but I can't imagine it can be good.

nellis
27-08-2008, 12:54 PM
1. Attendances will drop off massively. We've a very fickle fan base.
2. Less TV money.
3. Still lumbered with deadwood such as Kuqi. Will have to give them free transfers/compensation?
4. Financial implications for the ground? Is the rent linked to income like under Noades' landlordship?
5. Our decent young players will go to upper Championship teams for very little.
6. Sponsorship income will drop off as less media coverage/live TV games/lower attendances
7. The academy will start to look like an expensive aspect of the overall turnover of the club.
8. I'll still go as I like Crystal Palace FC despite everthing.

dufski13
27-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
No I don't think that, but it's not the point is it. The point is the question has been asked. No need to start criticising that person. Everyone's entitled to a view.

I don't see why people can't give a view without slating people because they have a different perspective?! :confused: I don't actually have an idea about the financial implications myself, but I can't imagine it can be good.

I didn't criticise the thread starter in any way, merely said I feel the question to be irrelevant as we won't go down. Everyone is entitled to a view, however your not presenting one when you ask a question, or are you ? That is the point, clearly the question is being asked in light of our poor start, implying it's a possibility. If we don't sign any strikers all season I'd have to agree it is a distinct possibility, but we will sign strikers & we won't go down.
Were we to go down, IMO, the consequences would be nothing short of a catastrophe, if only because our talented pool of youngsters would undoubtebly all be picked off by other clubs. So far from leaving us with the kids & vibrant football as someone suggested I think it would leave us with the over paid journeymen that are like a mill sotne round our neck at the moment.

Latvian Eagle
27-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I wasn't talking about you specifically by the way. I was talking about people in general on the BBS these days it would seem.

Funk Butter
27-08-2008, 01:08 PM
What will happen when we finish bottom of the league on 9 points with zero goals? Is it possible that we will be relegated to the Isthmian League Division One South?

Jim Cannons Moustache
27-08-2008, 01:10 PM
We're a loooooooong way off 9 pts Funk!


And well said Latvian Eagle, I agree.

sw16girl
27-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by nellis
1. Attendances will drop off massively. We've a very fickle fan base.
2. Less TV money.
3. Still lumbered with deadwood such as Kuqi. Will have to give them free transfers/compensation?
4. Financial implications for the ground? Is the rent linked to income like under Noades' landlordship?
5. Our decent young players will go to upper Championship teams for very little.
6. Sponsorship income will drop off as less media coverage/live TV games/lower attendances
7. The academy will start to look like an expensive aspect of the overall turnover of the club.
8. I'll still go as I like Crystal Palace FC despite everthing.

1. Probably although there must be a base of around 8/10k
2. Not that much less but it will be less
3. Kuqi's contract ends at the end of this year - thank god - as does Ifill's and I think Fletchers - as Watson has not signed an expensive new contract at least we will not have that to pay ;)
4. The rent is a fixed amount - believed to be c1m so that would be bad news.
5. Sadly too true
6. True although some may be on deals for more than one year so they will have to carry on for at least one year.
7. True but other lower league teams have them (like Crewe)- in view of our position and the sucess of the academy it may hang on in. The alternative is a centre of excellence which although cheaper is not that much cheaper (prob about 250k pa)
8. Too bloody right! :D

Three extra ones

9. The long term season ticket holders will become proportionally a larger share of the gate (as they have generally been bought by those fans who are going to stay loyal) and this will create cashflow problems as the money generated from these has been spent already.

10. The interest on the O/D and whatever the mortgage/financial input from Agilio is, will be a much higher proportion of our income

11. It is possible that Agilio will require their money back (they are not long term investors judging by their website) at the end of the financial year/season - if we are relegated that could be a problem but then it could be a problem if we are not promoted

Budgie Byrne
27-08-2008, 01:41 PM
While we may struggle this season, I think we have enough to stay up. The problem may be financial and a 10 point deduction if we were to go into administration, would no doubt spell relegation.

I think it is obvious to all that we are in a spot of bother on the financial side and we could see a huge upheavel if we were to slip into deeper financial problems and administration.

However no matter what division you are in fans will come along to support a winning side. If we did slip a division for whatever reason, we can only hope that a new young & hungry manager, with a team of young players, mixed with a few old heads, could start a revival.

I am sure that a side in running for promotion from the third division (old money)playing attractive attacking football, would attract more punters through the tunstiles, than the current display's. A team adrift in the lower reaches of the championship is far less attractive than a team on the up, even if it is a division lower.

A clean sweep with new blood and new direction is what is required for the club now. We have been in limbo for too long. There are too many issues currently that need a resolution that get in the way of progress. We need a new Palace revolution. Of course revolutions are often bloody, as we found in 73 - 77, but in the end we came out far stronger, the same when Coppell took over.

The support is out there, it just needs inspiration:lux:

sheepy
27-08-2008, 01:50 PM
If we get in a striker or two who can get us 15 goals this season then relegation will not be on the agenda this season (although anything more than mid table is probably not gonna be on the agenda either). Failure to do this and then yes, we could well go down as teams that struggle to score goals are the teams that finish in the bottom 6. On the plus side at least we've got a half decent defense so we're not that far away from being a decent side.

As for relegation and the financial implications of it it would be disasterous. Being a team in London with so much competition for support and young players from the local premiership sides, at the moment we can just about keep our heads above water. I have la ong standing fear about the fan base of the club and what relegation would do to attendances - I honestly think we'd be lucky to get 6 or 7 thousand average attendances in league one.

steve hail
27-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Liquidation, followed by a reformation as Crystal Palace (2010) FC, initially playing home matches on Sanderstead Rec, and a ten year campaign to move through the Leagues and get up to at least the Vauxhall Conference.

:)

sw16girl
27-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by steve hail
Liquidation, followed by a reformation as Crystal Palace (2010) FC, initially playing home matches on Sanderstead Rec, and a ten year campaign to move through the Leagues and get up to at least the Blue Square Premier
:)

EFA ;)

steve hail
27-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey - if we go down enough divisions, then the players will get slower and Dougie will be able to play on for years and years.

There is always a silver lining.

Sheeps
27-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler
Dooooooomed....Dooooooooooooomed I say !!!!


:D

We had this last year if I remember right ?

We got into the playoffs in the end...I think . After sacking the manager :p

Budgie Byrne
27-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by sheepy
As for relegation and the financial implications of it it would be disasterous. Being a team in London with so much competition for support and young players from the local premiership sides, at the moment we can just about keep our heads above water. I have la ong standing fear about the fan base of the club and what relegation would do to attendances - I honestly think we'd be lucky to get 6 or 7 thousand average attendances in league one.

Many of the traditional Palace families are moving south out of the immediate SE25 area, or further away from London all together. As new people move in, they either have no football affiliation, or are taken in by the draw of premier league clubs and Sky.

we need to be able attract new fans from the local area, tough if we are outside the premier league. Or move to a new site closer to the area's many of the old traditional Palace fans/families have moved to and for whom a commute to SE25 is not easy and not attractive when the team is not playing so well. It would also open up a wider catchment area, if transport links are good and we are further away from the London premier league teams. The problem of course is trying to find a site between SE25 and Crawley/East Grinstead, much of which is green belt.

While I would hate to see it, a move to a site near Gatwick from a financial point of view would be the right move. You can then follow the Chelsea, Reading and other club's model of a ground, sports/leisure complex and a hotel/conference centre. This would not work in SE25, but in or near Gatwick would make 100% sense.

seagull08
27-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by old geezer
If we get relegated, I am afraid this is a distinct possibility, what are the financial implcations of dropping one more division. If we go down Jordan will find it even more difficult to sell the club

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Benzhiyi
27-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Unbelievable.

We've lost one league game.

We haven't conceded a goal at home.

I know patience is a thing of a past in football but this is ludicrous.

Clapham Grand
27-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd get ot visit some new lower league grounds :)

ginger eagle
27-08-2008, 08:01 PM
just seen this thread..( i know..where have i been?)
my god people..we've only played 3 games!! have some faith!
talk about doom and gloom!!! :rolleyes:

thehalifaxman
27-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Dougie Freedmans Red n Blue Army

New LP
27-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Budgie Byrne


While I would hate to see it, a move to a site near Gatwick from a financial point of view would be the right move. You can then follow the Chelsea, Reading and other club's model of a ground, sports/leisure complex and a hotel/conference centre. This would not work in SE25, but in or near Gatwick would make 100% sense.

Surely moving the club out of its South London heartland into West Sussex where most people support Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or whoever would be a disaster. For me it is imperative that this doesn't happen.

steve hail
28-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by New LP
Surely moving the club out of its South London heartland into West Sussex where most people support Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or whoever would be a disaster. For me it is imperative that this doesn't happen.


Move the club to Australia. Then I could go to the matches!!

Dorking .Eagle
28-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Budgie Byrne


we need to be able attract new fans from the local area, tough if we are outside the premier league.

This must be the first and most important task of any new owner. Yes, we haven't got a shiny new stadium like Leicester, Southampton etc, but we could do a whole lot more to fill the empty seats, a-la Charlton. Wouldn't suprise me is the stadium is exactly half empty against Swansea.


Originally posted by Budgie Byrne

While I would hate to see it, a move to a site near Gatwick from a financial point of view would be the right move. You can then follow the Chelsea, Reading and other club's model of a ground, sports/leisure complex and a hotel/conference centre. This would not work in SE25, but in or near Gatwick would make 100% sense.

If that ever happened, it would cease to be CPFC for so many Palace fans.

BaldEagle96
28-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by New LP
Surely moving the club out of its South London heartland into West Sussex where most people support Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or whoever would be a disaster.

Seems to be working okay for MK Dons.

Dorking .Eagle
28-08-2008, 08:12 AM
What happened with MK Dons was just wrong on so many levels though.

CPFC moving to the National Sports Centre, Heavers Farm, Lloyd Park, or even some plot along the northern end of Purley Way (bearing in mind our 90 year residency in the Borough of Croydon) would in my mind be no different to all the other clubs who have moved to a new stadium over recent years.

As soon as you start talking about moving to a different County (and Sussex at that) then you are doing something morally wrong which interferes with the integrety of the game, and which interferes with the historic geographic roots of football clubs and their supporters.

IMO Selhurst Park is a perfectly adequate site for a club of our size, if it were developed to its full potential. The fact it hasn't been and that thousands of seats stand empty every week is purely down to the way the club has been run over recent years.