PDA

View Full Version : What future for Palace?

Billy Rhino
26-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Trying not to see the glass half empty here but I think these are worrying times for Palace. Now SJ has declared he definitely wants to sell (which we all knew anyway), I think the effect is starting to show on Warnock and the team.

Warnock's attitude since he came into the job has been a pretty laid-back, "nothing to lose" type, which I think helped us battle against the odds last season to the success we had. Now he realises that SJ doesn't really want to invest in the club anymore, I think he will start to lose his enthusiasm for the job (if he hasn't already).

Not only that but he has already started to get a lot of his own men in, who have mostly been pretty average so far, and will probably end up as the new 'dead wood' if he leaves, and he will leave at some stage within the next 2 seasons, at best.

Hopefully we'll get a new striker soon and will start firing again but you cannot just ignore these potential problems.

bgh2172
26-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Billy Rhino
Trying not to see the glass half empty here but I think these are worrying times for Palace. Now SJ has declared he definitely wants to sell (which we all knew anyway), I think the effect is starting to show on Warnock and the team.

Warnock's attitude since he came into the job has been a pretty laid-back, "nothing to lose" type, which I think helped us battle against the odds last season to the success we had. Now he realises that SJ doesn't really want to invest in the club anymore, I think he will start to lose his enthusiasm for the job (if he hasn't already).

Not only that but he has already started to get a lot of his own men in, who have mostly been pretty average so far, and will probably end up as the new 'dead wood' if he leaves, and he will leave at some stage within the next 2 seasons, at best.

Hopefully we'll get a new striker soon and will start firing again but you cannot just ignore these potential problems.

Frickin agree! He has 18 month contract left himself, so how was this was ever going to be a long term thing, and especially now there is obviously no backing.

It's a very sad state of affairs IMHO I only hope we avoid relegation this season.

Hang around Dougster, we may have a position sooner than you think!

etu
26-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Actually, I can.

The spate of deeply depressed threads after every game this season has given me plenty of practice in ignoring doom mongering. Not to mention the Taylor era.

Billy Rhino
26-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by etu
Actually, I can.

The spate of deeply depressed threads after every game this season has given me plenty of practice in ignoring doom mongering. Not to mention the Taylor era.
I was trying to be realistic rather than pessimistic but can understand your attitude a bit.

Being Palace we'll probably have an exciting relegation or promotion battle no doubt but there are some fundamental potential problems on the horizon that simply cannot just be ignored.

StanRd2005
26-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Only lost one game that matters so far . Come May I'm sure Palace will be up there look at Portmouth I bet they won't go down !

Shipp Ahoy!
27-08-2008, 12:27 AM
One game?

We have played 3 league games and 2 league cup.

So far we have lost 1 league 1 cup, drawn 2 league and won 1 cup.

Scoring 2 times against league 1 oppo and conceeding 7 times, 2 against Championship oppo and 5 against League 1.

Things are rather concerning to say the least.

whoisdanze?
27-08-2008, 12:33 AM
one game that matters, one game that matters

rainbow_child
27-08-2008, 12:34 AM
. .

. Now he realises that SJ doesn't really want to invest in the club anymore,

1million on Nicky Carle, 500k Fonte, 500k Mcarthy :rolleyes:

GodstoneEagle
27-08-2008, 12:37 AM
My concern is Warnock. He is a good manager but he came here for his mate SJ, and now SJ wants to go. He put a lot into this move, shifting his wife, his kids, his life! And a year or less afterwards, the reason he's come is disappearing. I fear his disillusionment, that is all I fear.

A season of mid-table does not scare me, a relegation battle would not scare me, bad performances would worry me, but I believe, I know these will turn around.

If the problems with SJ leaving and Warnock potentially losing his desire to be here are affecting the team's performance, then, and only then will I worry about where the club is headed.

Hedgehog
27-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
He put a lot into this move, shifting his wife, his kids, his life!
It would be interesting to know if he bought or is renting.

He did move in pretty quick for buying.... I thought that at the time. Remember he still has a home in the West Country.

steve hail
27-08-2008, 12:57 AM
All we need is a couple of wins, a few goals, and a new hero. Courage!

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by rainbow_child
1million on Nicky Carle, 500k Fonte, 500k Mcarthy :rolleyes:

not SJ's money

ozzieEagle
27-08-2008, 03:33 AM
It's post SJ and Warnock, where the real problems lay.

Pretty obvious what has to happen, 2 choices.

GodstoneEagle
27-08-2008, 03:36 AM
ozzieEagle, i feel that the club can't significantly progress at the minute without a buyer, i love SJ but now he's said these things, he has to go ASAP

ozzieEagle
27-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
ozzieEagle, i feel that the club can't significantly progress at the minute without a buyer, i love SJ but now he's said these things, he has to go ASAP

Not a good time to be trying to sell a club, that appears to be going backwards.

I'd say there are a few better positioned and more attractive offerings in the League at present for any potential buyers.

Richard
27-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
not SJ's money Who's is it, then ?

Maximus Dowieus
27-08-2008, 07:18 AM
When he joined NW made it quite clear why he came. SJ.

Less than a year later SJ says he wants out. It would be surprising if this has not had some kind of (less than) positive effect on NW.

IMHO NW seems to have lost enthusiasm and some of the positive attitude he had last season. Just my view, not a criticism. It's understandable given the circumstances, which are not good.

I believe SJ's decision is having a big impact on the stability of the club.

SE25Eagle
27-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Jesus christ we are 3 league games in, if we was still struggling for a win after 15 games then maybe start the alarm bells, but we've lost 1 league game out of 3, hardly time to start cutting our wrist, is it..?

will hung
27-08-2008, 08:30 AM
low crowds worry me more than the poor start, i fear we're in long-term decline

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 08:31 AM
I think people who write off the realists as doom mongerers are making a big mistake. Played five, won one, and that against one of the league's poorest clubs, scored two, conceded seven. It is not just a slow start, it's a piss poor one indicative of a weak squad that has no balls about it. If one or two strikers don;t surface before long I can see it looking grim by Christmas.

stevek
27-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I think people who write off the realists as doom mongerers are making a big mistake. Played five, won one, and that against one of the league's poorest clubs, scored two, conceded seven. It is not just a slow start, it's a piss poor one indicative of a weak squad that has no balls about it. If one or two strikers don;t surface before long I can see it looking grim by Christmas.

It's all a tactic. Bottom three in November seems to be our recipe for success in recent years.

Maz
27-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I think people who write off the realists as doom mongerers are making a big mistake.

The doom mongerers have been an ever present feature on this BBS for as long as I can remember. They deserve to be written off.

More recently, these same doom mongerers were damning the team when Warnock joined and really only muted their bleating then.

Now they are monging their doom after every game on multiple threads.

It's not only not a big mistake to write them off : it's the only way to combat their tedium. The problem with glass half empty people is that they are no fun to be around, in life or on the BBS.

Richard
27-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Still got pride ?

Maz
27-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Yup. Pride, disbelief, frustration and joy are what this team are all about. Sometimes all in one match.

What I will never have is doom.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Maz
The doom mongerers have been an ever present feature on this BBS for as long as I can remember. They deserve to be written off.

More recently, these same doom mongerers were damning the team when Warnock joined and really only muted their bleating then.

It's not only not a big mistake to write them off : it's the only way to combat their tedium. The problem with glass half empty people is that they are no fun to be around, in life or on the BBS.

I think you are generalising too much. I welcomed Warnock with open arms. I thought he was just the kick up the arse the club needed, and, so it proved last season. however, you look to teams to move on not go backwards, and IMHO this squad has gone backwards. They have lost a few decent players and, apart from perhaps Carle, who never gets a look in at the moment with the hoofball tactics, haven't brought in any decent replacements. Buying players like Andrew and Thomas isn;t the answer as is glaringly evident and unless a couple of decent strikers arrive soon, I can only see the team remaining very frustrating and unproductive as long as Jordan seems to have distanced himself from it all a bit more than in previous seasons and Warnock makes noises about needing more ploayers but not being able to get them. I think too many people on here have got used to giving the benefit of the doubt for so long that they could make up an excuse for any eventuality. It pains me to say it but its the most ordinary squad I can remember in recent times.

Richard
27-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Yup. Pride, disbelief, frustration and joy are what this team are all about. Sometimes all in one match.

What I will never have is doom. Fair enough, and I would agree with all of that, but you have to allow for people to vent after a poor performance. If you read everything literally on here, you're in big trouble.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I prefer the term 'realism' to 'doom mongering'. The law of averages suggests that its not going to be every season that Palace look shit til November and then go on a run. Certainly not with the current squad.

Richard
27-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I prefer the term 'realism' to 'doom mongering'. Fair comment, but some people seek to polarise arguments. In a similar way you can only be a "Noades-lover" or a Noades-hater" on here in the eyes of some posters.

Maz
27-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Richard
Fair enough, and I would agree with all of that, but you have to allow for people to vent after a poor performance.

Agreed.

But the problem is that it's after every damn game : and it's all Private Fraser stuff, rather than serious comment.

As I say, the main problem is that it's so damn tedious. Can you imagine living with these people who see near certain doom after every setback in life?

(And of course, as Steve notes, it's the Palace way to start the season poorly).

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:00 AM
it's difficult not to be pessimistic at the moment though isn't it... I'm so depressed about our current fortunes that I am dreaming about watching Palace playing at sixfields down the road. No goals except against lowly Hereford, a dismal opening day performance, well beaten again by Preston, down to 9 - NINE! - men against lowly Burnley and not a sniff at goal, thumped and I do mean thumped by a League One side in the cup (even if they are 'big club' Leeds), a chairman that's spat his dummy out over one deal going wrong and now doesn't want to play anymore, a manager that came to Palace out of retirement at the behest of said chairman, his 'mate' and who can hardly be expected to be thinking about his 'long-term' palace career. Not to mention the exclusion for whatever reason of Watson, Morrison, Fonte and Freedman from the side. Not to mention to bewildering beligerant choice to base the team around the clearly not very fit, and not very good Scowcroft. Not to mention playing 4-3-3 when we can all see it isn't working. Not to mention the apparent lack of ability to sign what we desperately need because of having to sell someone on first (presumably) and the worrying inability of being able to tempt anyone into buying said assets if that's what's required.

I'm an optimist at heart - but my heart says we will struggle to stay up in this division this year having seen some of the football being plied around the league. And the future for a League 'One' club, in the stadium they currently inhabit and do not own, with a chairman selling up, doesn't seem very bright. I think i'm more concerned about our plight now than under any other manager - Peter Taylor even - because I can see that neither Jordan's, nor Neil Warnock's heart are really in it anymore, and are both going through the motions until they can get out of it.

And after they are out of it... who is there going to be around to be looking after our interests?

Sorry to be so pessimistic, it pains me, but it's how I feel. All I can see is doom and gloom at the moment.

Jimbo ?
27-08-2008, 09:04 AM
it has been a poor start to the season but to be honest we are only a striker or 2 away from being right back up there. defensively we have been ok apart from last night. all we need is a front pairing.

the most worrying thing is warnocks tactics - he clear wants to base his team around scowie, which in my mind is not a good way forward, i know its easy to hark back to morrison, but what we lack up front is a genuine threat which morrison would give. personally i think our season will be defined by the next 7 days. we need at least 2 strikers who will get goals, at the moment i cant see where the next goal will come from. Lee has been linked with us - have to admit not particularly convinced he is the one to get lots of goals for us, would prefer helgarson. buut ideally we need both. I'm sure Sj is watching the balance sheet and wont be too keen to splash out big time if he is about to leave. personally i think SJ has been great for palace but the next 12months may end up being more about holding what we have rather than moving forward. until we get 2 strikers who will score goals regularly we wont be any where near the top 6.

andyocpfc
27-08-2008, 09:07 AM
It's just so typical of modern day football fans. Start a season poorly and calls for sack the manager are there. We're not even out of August yet!

No one is pretending that it has been a decent or even half decent start but for gods sake it's 3 league games! I remember seasons gone by where we have won our first 3 games and the season ended up being a miserable affair. A touch of realism is required.

I still dont think there is anyone else out there (available) that is more suited to the job at Palace than Neil Warnock. He MUST be given time. Yes, the honeymoon from last season is over, this is where his experience is needed and where he earns his crust.

This is Palace, it's what we do. Chill and get behind them.

Maz
27-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Dazron
I can see that neither Jordan's, nor Neil Warnock's heart are really in it anymore, and are both going through the motions until they can get out of it.
Actually you can't see anything of the sort. It's just what you choose to believe.

Santos-er
27-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Maz
The problem with glass half empty people is that they are no fun to be around, in life or on the BBS.

You don't exactly strike me as the type to toss your car keys in the bowl.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure anyone on this thread is suggesting we sack Neil Warnock? I think people have a right to express their concerns if done rationally. We've hardly started well and there are obvious problems at the club - I don't know how you can deny that.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Actually you can't see anything of the sort. It's just what you choose to believe.

Yeh possibly, I may be projecting onto them how I believe they must be feeling about it. However it's not exactly a huge leap of imagination is it

TurkeyTwizzler
27-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Being tonked 4-0 last night will be the kick up the backside alot of them need.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Maz
and it's all Private Fraser stuff

Again I think you are wrong. I think many on here try and be constructive. yes, of course there are some who don't put across the best argument, but by no means is everyone just naively predicting the worst.

Ralph
27-08-2008, 09:17 AM
None of you need to worry about Warnock - one of the best managers we can hope for in this situation (admittedly this comes from me - the man who backed Taylor in the job). My girlfriends family are Sheff Utd Mad and Warnock is footy mad. He'll be revelling in the transfer saga now, calling in favours, threatening blackmail anything he can to get us a couple of forwards. He wont give up.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Can you imagine living with these people who see near certain doom after every setback in life?

This is silly too. Football is a game, a game that, when it comes to Palace, most of us have watched hundreds of. Thus it is only natural that those who are bold enolugh to have opinions, make comparisons with what they are seeing now and what they have seen in the past. Setbacks in life don;t come into it, IT'S A GAME, and as such, we judge performances based on the history that is locked away in our minds and our ability to see when something just isn't right. dramatic sweeping generalisations like the one above have no place on a football site IMHO. Either put across a constructive argument as to why you think things aren't bad on the pitch or leave it to those who have an opinion.

pistol
27-08-2008, 09:21 AM
[Originally posted by andyocpfc]It's just so typical of modern day football fans. Start a season poorly and calls for sack the manager are there. We're not even out of August yet!

No one is pretending that it has been a decent or even half decent start but for gods sake it's 3 league games! I remember seasons gone by where we have won our first 3 games and the season ended up being a miserable affair. A touch of realism is required.

I still dont think there is anyone else out there (available) that is more suited to the job at Palace than Neil Warnock. He MUST be given time. Yes, the honeymoon from last season is over, this is where his experience is needed and where he earns his crust.

This is Palace, it's what we do. Chill and get behind them

:p

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:23 AM
you know the optimist in me does also think that we're not that far away from being a decent enough side, but we definately need 2 more forwards. Also I believe that we have to start playing 4-4-2, get Fonte in the side and regularly used Scannel and Moses to their strengths. Carle is class, be great to get Watson back in the side but I'm resigned to his sale. Saying that i'm sure they need to sell Ben to fund the forward situation. We also need to seriously get Dougie back involved, he's a great player to have on the bench, I know he wants first team football, but in every game we've played this season, if he'd been on the bench, i'd have bet my bottom dollar he could've come on and get something to happen. I would very much like to see Scowcroft being a squad player not the first name on the teamsheet like he is now.

I feel a bit schizophrenic about us really, I guess that's supporting Palace for you :)

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 09:23 AM
It;s not Warnocks fault. JAT. Some clues. Who wants to pay the lowest wages in the championship? Who hl,ds the purse strings in terms of new arrivals? Who wants to sell the club? Who seems to have lost a lot of interest in proceedings in SE25 now he is a family man?

zonin2000
27-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Would you have started this thread if we had beaten Leeds?

Maz
Thus it is only natural that those who are bold enolugh to have opinions.

Al, there is nothing 'bold' in anything that the doom mongers have to offer.

In fact it's the exact opposite of bold.

ozzieEagle
Seeing how the league operates, and SJ emulating King Canute, the major turning point I feel was, when Tim Cahill was almost signed from Millwall, the Agents fee wasn't paid. Had TC played for a couple of seasons, there could have been a massive profit made, and likely things may well have been more positive now.

There again who knows.

I've never been this pessimistic before, and these are my first postings in a negative vein.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:29 AM
This is silly too. Football is a game, a game that, when it comes to Palace, most of us have watched hundreds of. Thus it is only natural that those who are bold enolugh to have opinions, make comparisons with what they are seeing now and what they have seen in the past. Setbacks in life don;t come into it, IT'S A GAME, and as such, we judge performances based on the history that is locked away in our minds and our ability to see when something just isn't right. dramatic sweeping generalisations like the one above have no place on a football site IMHO. Either put across a constructive argument as to why you think things aren't bad on the pitch or leave it to those who have an opinion.

Totally agree al - I am far from a doom monger in life. It's got nothing to do with Life.

Gooders
27-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Neil Warnock has been with Palace less than a year.

He inherited an awful team and to this day is still unable to shift some of the appalling purchases made by his predecessors, because nobody wants them.

In that time, we have won and drawn more games than we have lost.

In the summer, we have lost 3 important players from the spine of the team (unless the disinterest in the services of Ben Watson on the part of the wider fooball world continues, in which case we may retain one of them).

He hasn't got much money to spend - certainly nothing like that given to his predecessors.

And yet the moment we have a bit of a poor run of form, the world and his wife are straight on his back spouting their Championship Manager tosh, prophecying doom and gloom and then positively celebrating defeat with smileys and lols as though it is some kind of vindication of the dire warnings they were posting when things were going a bit better.

I've said it before but if I was him I think I'd jack it and leave it to some other poor mug because I don't think it's worth it.

Palace Don
27-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Not surprising when Lawrence gets in the side in front of Fonte

Maz
27-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

He inherited an awful team and to this day is still unable to shift some of the appalling purchases made by his predecessors, because nobody wants them.

In the summer, we have lost 3 important players from the spine of the team (unless the disinterest in the services of Ben Watson on the part of the wider fooball world continues, in which case we may retain one of them).

He hasn't got much money to spend - certainly nothing like that given to his predecessors.

And yet the moment we have a bit of a poor run of form, the world and his wife are straight on his back spouting their Championship Manager tosh, prophecying doom and gloom and then positively celebrating defeat with smileys and lols as though it is some kind of vindication of the dire warnings they were posting when things were going a bit better.

I've said it before but if I was him I think I'd jack it and leave it to some other poor mug because I don't think it's worth it.

My thanks for some Good Gooders ; if you were an attractive lady I would sleep with you right now. (Although I would chide you for that last sentence).

ozzieEagle
27-08-2008, 09:35 AM

I dont think you could get a better manager than Warnock at this stage, the problem is the ebbing support and interest affecting the saleablity of the club to interested parties. Combine this with the next 2/3 years of economic stagnation in the UK, with other close neighbours gaining ground on Palace, and things in my view start to look very bleak.

No one could have done a better job, given his circumstances than SJ, its just the situation, the demograhics, the timing, and the Geography. Why is it that QPR found a buyer easier than Palace ?

Like I said I hope I'm wrong.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000

What an odd things to say! Of course he wouldn't, but Palace didn't beat Leeds nor are they top of the league. Honestly, just because some people try and get a handle on what the actual problem is, they are labelled doom mongerers or told they actaully celebrate palace's woes. Nothing could be further from the truth but ffs, this is a football discussion site and we all have an opinion nased on our having watched palace for years and are entitled to express it. Indeed, even some of the optimisits are hitting the nail on the head by saying the squad lost it spine, strikers are needed etc.etc. they are just worind it differently. We all have our own way of describing what's wrong, some more constructively than others, but it doesn't do away with the fact that all is not well in SE25 - and that is all a lot of people are debating.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Maz
My thanks for some Good Gooders ; if you were an attractive lady I would sleep with you right now. (Although I would chide you for that last sentence).

A pointless and derisive post. You say these things as if to ratify your point of view and belittle the opposing view. Who gives a shit who you'd sleep with.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000

It's not like we even got beat by a full strength Leeds team they had a 16 year old in defense! We not only got beat by them we were hammered.

Maz
27-08-2008, 09:44 AM
A pointless and derisive post. You say these things as if to ratify your point of view and belittle the opposing view. Who gives a shit who you'd sleep with. I presume Gooders does.

(Hate to point this out, but there was nothing whatsoever 'derisive' in my post, or indeed critical of another poster. You really do need to take a happy pill or two).

Dazron
27-08-2008, 09:46 AM
You're being derisive by proxy by lauding someone who confers with your opinion.

Maz
27-08-2008, 09:52 AM
You're being derisive by proxy by lauding someone who confers with your opinion.

So agreeing with someone is insulting someone else?

I see no reason why I should take any opinion of yours on any subject seriously, having read that.

But let's not pollute this thread any further with abuse. You ignore me and I will ignore you. Simple.

But just because I might in future agree with some people about certain things - hell I have agreed with Al a fair bit in GPD - does not mean I am derisively insulting you. hth :)

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Any port in a storm eh Maz. Are you in the shallow end like you suggested I was yesterday? Don't forget the arm bands :)

Maz
27-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Any port in a storm eh Maz. I don't understand what you are posting.

Please explain.

Stavros 69
27-08-2008, 09:57 AM
A good idea to me would be cutting ticket prices and getting people though the door. The atmos at Selhurst last week was poor. We need people in, buying food, shirts etc Get the kids in, and buy 2 strikers.

Not much more.

Richard
27-08-2008, 09:58 AM
A pointless and derisive post. You are familiar with Maz's BBS persona, arent you ?

Dazron
27-08-2008, 10:08 AM
No not particularly

SE25Eagle
27-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Good post.

Palace Don
27-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Stavros 69
A good idea to me would be cutting ticket prices and getting people though the door. The atmos at Selhurst last week was poor. We need people in, buying food, shirts etc Get the kids in, and buy 2 strikers.

Not much more.

Should do what Reading do and reduce prices for students and kids.

Palace Don
27-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SE25Eagle
Good post.

Yes it made me feel better about taking my son to his second game at Reading on Sat, after having to put him through the tosh we served up against Watford

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 10:18 AM

With respect Gooders, weren't you the bloke who not so long ago confessed on here to spending your Saturday's going to the cinema in the future because it as better than going to watch Palace? ;)

Stavros 69
27-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Palace Don
Should do what Reading do and reduce prices for students and small kids.
35 or 30 is far too much for the standard of football.

20 flat rate and 10 for kids would get bums on seats.

People would come back, more season tickets will be sold.

I just don't get his thinking on this.

rainbow_child
27-08-2008, 10:26 AM
not SJ's money

Oh sorry was it your money then mate?

Richard
27-08-2008, 10:27 AM
No not particularly You're discovering it ...

Maz
27-08-2008, 10:38 AM
You're discovering it ... Not really.

Do you really think that my agreement with Gooders was 'derisive'?

Or are you just bringing personalities into play for want of something to say?

Richard
27-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I was merely pointing out to Dazron your predilection to patronise / put down posters with whom you disagree.

Maz
27-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I was merely pointing out to Dazron your predilection to patronise / put down posters with whom you disagree. Ah, so you were bringing personalities into a thread which had done very well without them.

Thank you for your contribution.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I was merely pointing out to Dazron your predilection to patronise / put down posters with whom you disagree.

How does it go? Ah yes "He shoots, he scores". :)

Maz
27-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Enjoy yourself, Al.

I don't do this sort of stuff in GPD.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Me neither, but Richard has a point. All three in fact. ;)

zonin2000
27-08-2008, 11:04 AM
What an odd things to say! Of course he wouldn't, but Palace didn't beat Leeds nor are they top of the league. Honestly, just because some people try and get a handle on what the actual problem is, they are labelled doom mongerers or told they actaully celebrate palace's woes. Nothing could be further from the truth but ffs, this is a football discussion site and we all have an opinion nased on our having watched palace for years and are entitled to express it. Indeed, even some of the optimisits are hitting the nail on the head by saying the squad lost it spine, strikers are needed etc.etc. they are just worind it differently. We all have our own way of describing what's wrong, some more constructively than others, but it doesn't do away with the fact that all is not well in SE25 - and that is all a lot of people are debating.
I didn't call anybody a doom monger; indeed you quoted my entire post.

It just seemed a bit knee-jerk to me.

Malakite
27-08-2008, 11:07 AM

I have to agree :(

Richard
27-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Ah, so you were bringing personalities into a thread which had done very well without them. I felt it only fair to bring him up to speed. Otherwise he may have taken you more seriously than warranted.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Maz
Ah, so you were bringing personalities into a thread which had done very well without them.

Thank you for your contribution.

another patronising derisive post... see what you mean

David
27-08-2008, 11:59 AM
The club is in a period of uncertainty.

Last night was a disgrace, but it had been coming and perhaps needed to happen so we can can see that without a couple of decent players and a bit of money spent on the team before September 1st then we are well and truly in trouble.

Selhurst300
27-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Don't forget this is Palace, not Chelsea.
However, to me, the play-off semis against Brizzle were very revealing. We managed two goals, one of which was a pen and the other was a good header from Ben. Brizzle scored some cracking goals, but we didn't have a goal scorer capable of such goals. And we've got worse with the loss of Clinton.
At Sheff U, Warnock had a reputation for collecting strikers. He's obviously gone to the other extreme now.
The future does not look very good, but it's still Palace, and who knows what might happen before the closing of the transfer window.
Come on you Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santos-er
27-08-2008, 12:29 PM
No not particularly

Thankfully his point-scoring and trolling are usually confined to GCC.

Occasionally he blots GPD - like a rat that comes up from the sewers when he can't find much to eat. We just need to whack him one with a tennis racket and he'll scarper back to safer territory. Hopefully before he spreads his fleas.

Maz
27-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
Thankfully his point-scoring and trolling are usually confined to GCC.

Occasionally he blots GPD - like a rat that comes up from the sewers when he can't find much to eat. We just need to whack him one with a tennis racket and he'll scarper back to safer territory. Hopefully before he spreads his fleas.

Happy now Richard?

(And Santos, if you want a girlie pinching match come into GCC. GPD is for Palace fans to talk about Palace).

Dazron
27-08-2008, 04:06 PM
What's happened to Trolley these days?

Maz
27-08-2008, 04:09 PM
He got banned for doing what you and Santos did - taking threads off course.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 04:15 PM
yeh? Cool... I hated Trolley.

In what way have I done that pray tell oh 'wondrous' Maz, and in what respect that 'diversion' is in any way different to what you have done on this thread?

I guess it's just about impossible for people to come together and 'discuss' something as objective as the art of Association Football without 'egregious' and unpleasant 'badinage' :P

Maz
27-08-2008, 04:18 PM
In what way have I done that pray tell oh 'wondrous' Maz, and in what respect that 'diversion' is in any way different to what you have done on this thread?
I agreed with someone.

You then claimed I was insulting you.

It still strikes me that you need to stop and think about this. You don't need to even be 'wondrous' to know how silly it is.

Dazron
27-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I know but i'm over it Maz I was attempted to de-fuse the 'argument' with a bit of sillyness :)

It's no biggie - I forgive you ;)

Maz
27-08-2008, 04:29 PM
And I forgive you too. :)

(And I apologise if my lack of a sense of humour in GPD caused me to miss the silliness. I blame Richard, who is the real culprit here).

Dazron
27-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh and I never accused you of being insulting. Re-read the thread. Anyway, onwards and upwards. We're signing Kris Boyd from Rangers on a season long loan don't you know...

Dazron
27-08-2008, 04:30 PM
It was not a brilliant piece of sillyness i'll grant you that I was just evoking the spirit of the Trolley seeing as I was being tarred with his nasty little brush.... :)

Justin
27-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I do wonder if Al has been much this season by his constant reference to hoofball, and our failure to pay high wages.

We did not play well against Burnley (my only game this season so this may have been a one off I accept) but hootfball it wasn't. We were trying to give it to Carle and the wingers as much as possible in the first half. The second was a bit different but even then the centre backs were not hoofing it.

With respect to wages it is pretty well known that Watson was offered a large pay rise this summer.

kolinkins
27-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Justin
I do wonder if Al has been much this season by his constant reference to hoofball, and our failure to pay high wages.

Al only posts in GPD when things arent going well, giving himself a stage for attention. I wouldnt read anything into what he posts.

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rainbow_child
Oh sorry was it your money then mate?

Its common knowledge that the club is being funded by an outside company

stevek
27-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Justin
We did not play well against Burnley (my only game this season so this may have been a one off I accept) but hootfball it wasn't. We were trying to give it to Carle and the wingers as much as possible in the first half. The second was a bit different but even then the centre backs were not hoofing it.

Indeed. Although we lacked penetration first half against Burnley, I was heartened by the fact that we were trying to pass it rather than just hoofing. (It also proved that playing Lawrence does not automatically mean hoofball.)

Maz
27-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by stevek
Indeed. Although we lacked penetration first half against Burnley, I was heartened by the fact that we were trying to pass it rather than just hoofing. (It also proved that playing Lawrence does not automatically mean hoofball.) Quite.

I suspect that much of the grounds for the accusation comes from Scowie being the main target man, and the perception of hoofball that getting the ball up to him can entail.

LeeH
27-08-2008, 05:01 PM
We wil be fine and the panic needs to be halted among the fans- SJ had, pre season, already made a great deal for the first however many games up until the charlton one, all for 100 - throughout last season he did the same thing with his kids for a quid, and bulk ticket offers - there were offers a plenty and I'm sure there will be this year too. I agree, reduced ticket prices for all matches would be perfect and MAY attract people back but let's at least acknowledge the fact that SJ and the club are trying to do at least something to drum up business.

As for on the field, its so early doors - let's sit back not panic too much and see what happens come the end of September and into October and hopefully beyond. I reckon we'll be sitting pretty by then, or at least top mid of the table.

One other fact - we have had 6 clean sheets at home in our last 6 home matches. So when we are mentioning the team and it's qualities, let's remember some of the good ones as well.

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Al only posts in GPD when things arent going well, giving himself a stage for attention. I wouldnt read anything into what he posts.

I know you;re going through a tough time so I won;t lay into you, but with respect, this post is ill-informed. Even Maz, i think, will agree, that by and large I post fairly sensibly and constructively in GPD, even if not everyone agrees with my POV. It's another case of a person not knowing me coming up with silly nonsense about attention seeking,. Trust me, apart from the fact that I am way too old to seek attention, if I wanted it, here wouldn't be the place I would go looking for it. I am in the same camp as Ian Hart i.e. been there, seen the movie, know the form with Palace. This is going to be a season to be forgotten IMHO. A bold claim a few games in I know but that is my view based on an instinct honed over 40 years watching Palace. Jordan has lost enthusiam, it;s impacting on Warnock and the squad is very average. That's how i see it. Sorry.

kolinkins
27-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I know you;re going through a tough time so I won;t lay into you, but with respect, this post is ill-informed. Even Maz, i think, will agree, that by and large I post fairly sensibly and constructively in GPD, even if not everyone agrees with my POV. It's another case of a person not knowing me coming up with silly nonsense about attention seeking,. Trust me, apart from the fact that I am way too old to seek attention, if I wanted it, here wouldn't be the place I would go looking for it. I am in the same camp as Ian Hart i.e. been there, seen the movie, know the form with Palace. This is going to be a season to be forgotten IMHO. A bold claim a few games in I know but that is my view based on an instinct honed over 40 years watching Palace. Jordan has lost enthusiam, it;s impacting on Warnock and the squad is very average. That's how i see it. Sorry.

You're conspicuous by your lack of positive posting when things are going well Al, or when Jordan spends over 1m on a player, etc. It's a (blindly obvious) 1 way street

Al From Bromley
27-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Many people on here are. As in real life, when things are going well, everyone enjoys the feelgood factor and there is far less to discuss, but the frustrating thing particularly about Palace is they almost open the door, as in last season, and then, lo and behold, they come back from the summer break and the spine of the squad has gone and they look like a squad in turmoil rather than on the up. Of course then that is going to be debated on here. I don't buy into this "we're only a few games in" stuff on this occasion because, IMHO, there a number of worrying factors. One is Jordan seems to have lost his enthusiasm. Another is that the club cannot seem to attract any strikers of note. Another is talk of Warnock becoming disillusioned and possibly contemplating jacking it in and retiring to his smallholding. All may prove to be wayward theories, but to me, something doesn't feel right. The club should have gone from strength to strength on the back of last season's strong finish but instead, to my mind, has gone backwards, both in personnel and in style of play. It doesn;t please me to say it, but that is what I feel. I would love to be proved wrong, trust me.

Richard
27-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Its common knowledge that the club is being funded by an outside company ... who are lending money to the club. Money that has to be repaid by the club Jordan owns, and until it is repaid it remains a debt in the club's Balance Sheet, going against the value of the share capital, thus reducing any price Jordan may get for the club.

Richard
27-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Happy now Richard? Been happy all along, thanks.

Billy Rhino
27-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Maz

Maz, why have you simply assumed I'm a 'Doom Mongerer' from my post?

I agree to a certain point with Zonin's comment that I may not have posted this thread if the Leeds result was better, but it is the overall status of the club that has concerned me since SJ announced he wanted to sell, as I'm sure it has a lot of Palace fans.

Being worried about things in life is a natural human trait and generally shows you care. If your 16 year old daughter was going out to a club for the first time you would worry, and rightly so!

Saying that, if you asked any of my friends they would tell you I'm a laid back character who is generally happy in life and rarely worries about most things.

If anything, the thing that concerns me most with Palace is that we are no nearer to either developing our ground or buying a new one and are getting left behind by other clubs. We have a good manager who given the right resources and time I think would be a great success, however, resources and time is something he doesn't really have.

As ever, it probably isn't worth worrying about as I suppose there's nothing really we can do about it...........protest outside Croydon Council to get planning permission for a new Main Stand anyone?.......maybe not then.

Maz
28-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Maz, why have you simply assumed I'm a 'Doom Mongerer' from my post?
Yours is a very reasoned reply to my post.

I don't agree with what you say, but I do apologise if you saw my original post as being critical of you personally. That was not intended.