PDA

View Full Version : Is Lee the right man?

ZOHAR
30-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, Alan Lee has signed for the club as a replacement for the soon to depart James Scowcroft.

To me it seems pretty much a like for like swap, though Lee is considerably more mobile than Scowie.

So, is the signing of Lee what Palace need right now?

Personally, I'm not entirely sure.

In my opinion, what Palace need is pace in the attacking third.

With Sean Scannell injured and Victor Moses not firing on all cylinders right now, Palace need an injection of something different.

With Lee you now exactly what you are going to get.

Neil's admission that he was interested in Collins John was not met too kindly by Palace fans - but while he may be an overpaid and unfit Premier League misfit, the Fulham man would be a more threatening proposition.

Only time will tell if Lee's move turns out to be a success - but I'm not overly convinced.

But in saying that, I wasn't convinced by Clint Hill or Shaun Derry and look at those two!

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/crystalpalaceblog/Lee-right-man/article-297736-detail/article.html

Woodside_Palace
30-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Lee is certainly an improvement on Scowcroft, which is good. However, like you say (and indeed Warnock has said) we need someone to play off a target man like Lee/Scowie.

I'm sure Warnock has got a striker lined up. If not, it is madness to splash out 600k on improving a position that was not really in dire need of strengthening.

nicknackpalace
30-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I'll answer this question at the end of the season - not before!

Philr_99
30-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
Well, Alan Lee has signed for the club as a replacement for the soon to depart James Scowcroft.

Did I miss something? Is Scowcroft leaving? I've been away for almost 3 weeks...

eagles_1986
30-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Philr_99
Did I miss something? Is Scowcroft leaving? I've been away for almost 3 weeks...

Yeah bristol city Apprently.

sw16girl
30-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Jules
30-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR

To me it seems pretty much a like for like swap, though Lee is considerably more mobile than Scowie.

With Lee you now exactly what you are going to get.

You are one of many people who are saying the same thing.

I know next to nothing about Alan Lee, but what people need to realise is that no two players are the same. Yes, he and Scowcroft are both slightly taller than average centre forwards, who are both therefore pretty good in the air, of a similar age, but just about everything else about them will be different. Ability to hold the ball up, ability to pass, to shoot, to cross. Therefore Lee will bring a whole lot of different things to the team - though I don't know what these things will be.

This sort of lazy categorisation is pointless and invalid.

Abjekt
30-08-2008, 01:31 PM
On the bench according to the official site:

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Soares, McCarthy, Oster, Andrew, Butterfield, Hill, Derry, Lawrence, Hills, Carle.

Subs : Scannell. Moses, Lee, Ertl, Fletcher.

Walrus
30-08-2008, 01:40 PM
4-5-1?

Lawrence must have been awesome in training this week, or NW doesn't want Lee Hills exposed at LB again any time soon.

4-5-1 might be a good idea - if we keep the ball and pass it around!

Asagaya_Eagle
30-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry, but he's not at all the right guy. Backwards step!!!!

Malakite
30-08-2008, 01:50 PM
In a word, NO!

rainbow_child
30-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Asagaya_Eagle
Sorry, but he's not at all the right guy. Backwards step!!!!

Why do you say that out of interest?

sydnsteve
30-08-2008, 01:58 PM
If he shows the form of the last 2 years, or any time he's played against us, then he's as good as we can afford for the money. We still need a pacy forward to play withg him, but he is miles better than JS

Asagaya_Eagle
30-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rainbow_child
Why do you say that out of interest?

Just that there are some payers that you know will not work out. No logical reason for it at all. Just don't think he's the right player for us

Walrus
30-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I think that you might get different answers to these questions:

Is Lee the right man?

Is Lee as good as we can realistically expect to get in to Palace in our present situation?

FWIW, I think it's a good signing.

rainbow_child
30-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Asagaya_Eagle
Just that there are some payers that you know will not work out. No logical reason for it at all. Just don't think he's the right player for us

Tell me that you didn't have the same hunch about Kuqi to when he joined us as you do Lee :eek:

I just hope he gets an early goal for us it could make or break our season.

Dan 05
30-08-2008, 03:05 PM
No hes crap. 600k on a 30 year old? Sort it out Warnock!

st albans
30-08-2008, 03:28 PM
he just set a goal up for us. so far so good

lanepe
30-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Despite the result it sounded like Lee had a very good half. Set up one goal & a couple of shots on target. Plus was holding the ball up well and bringing others into play.

A positive start.

Malakite
30-08-2008, 04:17 PM
He is hardly prolific either :(

weh8millwall
30-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Malakite

More profilic than Clinton & Dougie but that doesn't stop some on here pining for them like they're Fernando Torres & Robbie Keane...

Freddy Kurz
30-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Why not allow the bloke to play a dozen or so first-team games,
and then ask this bloody question?

red&blue_moomin
30-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Errr did'nt he score one more goal than Clinton last season.

Shipp Ahoy!
30-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Most profilic player we have at the club at this moment in time JAT.

cpfc_tommy12
30-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Looked like he could do a good job here. Definetly brings more to the team than scowcroft. He can hold up the ball and has a good shot on him.

ThisIsDoM
30-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought he was pretty good. Some very nice touches and flick ons, a great cross for Soares' goal and wasn't afraid to shoot.

...and for those wondering he did clap the fans :D

Palace_Man23
30-08-2008, 05:29 PM
had a good game today so shut up the lot of ya !!

whoisdanze?
30-08-2008, 05:31 PM
he's not a cool or fashoinable signing, but will be worth his while. warnock is building a team for the prem, ultimately this guy probably won't figure, but he's not a bad replacement for a 33 year old, actually, i think he'll be quite brilliant. time will tell.. sleezee leezee, all the best bro.

elgin eagle
30-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by lanepe
Despite the result it sounded like Lee had a very good half. Set up one goal & a couple of shots on target. Plus was holding the ball up well and bringing others into play.

A positive start.

Good news. Exactly what you'd expect from him really. If we can get a powerful pacy striker alongside him it'll take some of the heat off the defence. Hopefully Warnock will be busy this weekend.

Duffle Coat
30-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I think he will be very good for us by the sound of things today. I am not so downhearted as the result might have me. I think we will get the show on the road against Swans.

joe walker
30-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Played well today, should hopefully silence a few critics this season

maxpower
30-08-2008, 08:02 PM
TBH i was VERY impressed by him set up one goal, kept the ball took on 3 players and beat them, just what we need brilliant signing warnock well done :D

cpfc4evandeva
30-08-2008, 08:04 PM

More prolific than Scowie,

Paulie b
30-08-2008, 08:10 PM
FFS watch this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQ1s-OW7uk) and stop moaning!:grrr:

BLOCK B BILL
31-08-2008, 12:26 PM
quality

917L
31-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by red&blue_moomin

No, 4 less

pauldrulez
31-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Good debut today.

Hes hardly prolific though as he didnt score in his first game. Disappointed in the person that has scored more goals than the rest of the strikers we have had recently in the last two seasons. Him and Andrew both impressed so good luck to our number 9 and our number 9x2

palacemaniac
31-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Paulie b
FFS watch this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQ1s-OW7uk) and stop moaning!:grrr:

:lux: love the old school celebrations

sw16girl
31-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by red&blue_moomin

No he didn't - he scored 12 last year of which 3 were penalties and 17 the season before including 4 penalties. That doesn't mean I do not think he is a reasonable signing because I do but he shouldn't be overhyped - he is a younger Scowie and if we have managed to get a like for like money swap that has been good business by NW.