PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Ben Watson, you've cost us Tom Soares

Young Trolley
02-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for nothing Benny Boy. You don't want to be here you've made that clear as you turned a great contract from us down. You then watch us sign your replacement. However you then turn down those who made concrete offers with your ludicrous wage demands. Why? because it's the mighty QPR you want to join even though they've shown no official interest, not past two time European Cup winners . Now the window is shut and we can't get rid of you. However having already signed your replacement we have to draw funds in from elsewhere and so have to sell another player who expressed no desire not to be here, who we didn't want to sell to cover the shortful. Come January or inevitably next summer at the latest you too will be gone also leaving us well and truly stuffed.

Thanks a lot Ben Watson. I for one don't want you anywhere near our first team, if you play I won't boo but I won't cheer you either, I think it's disgusting the way you and your agent have f*cked us over this summer and I hope your career now goes down the toilet and Tom Sores goes on to play for England :grrr:

Santos-er
02-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Fool.

philsick
02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Tom was made available a long time before bens forest deal fell through.

pauldrulez
02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Young Trolley
Thanks for nothing Benny Boy. You don't want to be here you've made that clear as you turned a great contract from us down. You then watch us sign your replacement. However you then turn down those who made concrete offers with your ludicrous wage demands. Why? because it's the mighty QPR you want to join even though they've shown no official interest, not past two time European Cup winners . Now the window is shut and we can't get rid of you. However having already signed your replacement we have to draw funds in from elsewhere and so have to sell another player who expressed no desire not to be here, who we didn't want to sell to cover the shortful. Come January or inevitably next summer at the latest you too will be gone also leaving us well and truly stuffed.

Thanks a lot Ben Watson. I for one don't want you anywhere near our first team, if you play I won't boo but I won't cheer you either, I think it's disgusting the way you and your agent have f*cked us over this summer and I hope your career now goes down the toilet and Tom Sores goes on to play for England :grrr:
For such a stupid post, I completely agree.

Let him rot.

maestro
02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
what a load of rubbish, bens been here for years, he's perfectly entitled to see out his contract.

He's been a good servant to the club and certainly hasnt screwed us over, why should he move to forest if he doesnt wont to go there

Its the clubs fault that they signed a replacement before they actually got rid of watson

rainbow_child
02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Ben should never put on the Crystal Palace shirt again & i hope he is stuck in the reserves until January to rot!! :veryangry

GDP
02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I like Ben Watson and have backed him so far with his transfer saga but I do feel he needs to show Palace some true commitment while he's still here.

I do think Tom would still be here if Watson had left.

Malakite
02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pauldrulez

Let him rot.
I'll second that, OXO Ben :hi:

9Freedman9
02-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I hope Watson isn't anywhere near the first team while he is still here.

He has cost us big time.

maestro
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I think those who want him to rot in the reserves, who do you suggest we play in his place?

we need him more than he needs us, I think people are forgetting we havent won a league game yet

David
02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by maestro
I think those who want him to rot in the reserves, who do you suggest we play in his place?

we need him more than he needs us, I think people are forgetting we havent won a league game yet

The way some people go on you'd think Watson was Fabregas. He's not, he is just an average Championship midfielder who no Premiership club were prepared to take a chance on.

eagle-leg
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I just posted the following on the other Soares thread....

Tom seems to be a nice lad - all the stories I have heard about him staying late to help out the youngsters seem to back this up.

I can't imagine Tom was after a move and the manager has probably indicated to him that he needed to recoup the cash following the Carle and Lee deals. Watson has seemingly refused to go to a club that offered us a very good deal for him so he can sit tight and see out his contract - screw us out of money and then waltz off to join the brothers grim in West London. We have been forced to let Soares go as one of the only saleable assets in the club.

I suspect Tom understands all this and is not gonna kick up too much of a fuss at the prospect of playing Premiership football again and earning a fair wage.

To be honest - from a playing point of view - it may actually benefit us as a club to have Watson playing for us this season over Soares - but that doesn't mean to say that we have to like what has happened mind. Players seem to have the power to hold clubs to ransom if they so wish.

Now I think it would be churlish to make Ben rot in the reserves - to be honest, whilst this smacks a little - we've just got to be a bit adult about all this and make the best of a bad situation - this means that we play Ben if he puts in the effort and we try to shoot our way up the league table!

Sh!t happens - time to get on with it folks!

Woodside_Palace
02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by philsick

"Tom", "Ben" - makes me cringe when people refer to them by their first names. You don't know them personally and they obviously don't hold Palace in that high regard, especially Watson.

Both were paid well for being professional footballers but decided to move on to get more money. Why would Watson feel guilty because some people blame him for Soares going, he's only in it for himself and however much he can get. I shouldn't imagine he gives a flying f**k what people on this messageboard write.

AJ's right boot
02-09-2008, 08:40 PM

Let him rot. Cutting off the nose to spit the face. We arent exactly man u who could allow their best players to rot in the reserves. Ben is a good player who could help kick start our terrible start to the season. Like it or not we need Ben and his assists on the pitch.

peagle
02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I feel bad about it but i agree with the origional post. The forest deal was rejected ages ago (before Soares was put up for transfer) and it was because the efforts to revive it looked so unpromising that Tom was finally put up. I don't think Ben should play in our team tbh, especially since I believe Carle is a better player.

racehorse-80s
02-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by David
The way some people go on you'd think Watson was Fabregas. He's not, he is just an average Championship midfielder who no Premiership club were prepared to take a chance on.

Exactly.

But He has honoured his contract and is entitled to be picked if fit and on form when other players are injured or off form.
Not playing him will only drive his price down IMO.

Dave Nunn
02-09-2008, 08:45 PM
what a load of rubbish, bens been here for years, he's perfectly entitled to see out his contract.

He's been a good servant to the club and certainly hasnt screwed us over, why should he move to forest if he doesnt wont to go there

Its the clubs fault that they signed a replacement before they actually got rid of watson

:confused:

AJ
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
total crap....Tom Soares, like all footballers was under contract at Palace, he could have decided to stay at Palace, but, HE(Soares) chose to go to Stoke. Not Watson's fault at all. Grow up!

pauldrulez
02-09-2008, 08:51 PM
So, he walked up to Warnock and said: I want to leave or I will see out my contract here and stop you getting a fee as I am not signing my new contract. Oh wait...

Do you really think he wanted to leave? Warnock said he had to sell him as Watson wanted the money of that excellent well-run and managed club QPR.

Yeah brilliant.

beef
02-09-2008, 08:52 PM
it was made pretty clear that Soares was not wanted here, no brainer for Tom.

pauldrulez
02-09-2008, 08:52 PM
And for the record, I would rather have Jamie Smith in the team as at least he wants to play for the club rather than leave us in the shit.

GodstoneEagle
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
To let him rot would be ridiculous. I do partially agree with yt. That is to say I believe tom would still be here if ben had gone. I am disappointed that tom has gone but it has been clear for a while that ben is better than tom, 90% would have agreed before but now all the critics are suddenly up toms arse :confused:

Maybe some peoe just love to moan?

New LP
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
The problem is that there simply wasn't the interest that I think many people, Watson included, thought there would be. He clearly felt that Forest was at best a sideways move which would mean leaving the south and decided that QPR where his only choice. He's looking after himself, he has a right to do that, just like the club has the right to release young players who don't make the grade earlier in their careers. Football is a mercenary thing. Of course while he's still being paid by CPFC he should play, he can help win us matches and get us up the table. I don't really care all that much about him as a bloke, I won't be singing his name but as long as he plays well then that suits both parties. It would be cutting off our nose to spite our face to 'let him rot in the reserves' or whatever. Lets get from him what we can.

It'll be interesting to see how he fits in with Carle that's for sure.

New LP
02-09-2008, 08:57 PM
And for the record, I would rather have Jamie Smith in the team as at least he wants to play for the club rather than leave us in the shit.

That's sentimental twaddle. We should be picking the best XI to win football matches and give Crystal Palace Football Club the best chance of promotion. As long as Watson gives 100% and is playing well enough to justify selection then he should start. Making some kind of moral stand over this is totally counter productive.

This situation is a little bit like a Championship version of the Gareth Barry thing. Should Villa drop Barry? Of course not.

pauldrulez
02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I dont agree that Ben is that much of a better player than Tom. Heres assists from Corners and Free Kicks seem to blind some people as well as his penalties.

Tom scored 7 goals from open play last year and has scored our only one this year.

Barbara4003
02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by beef
it was made pretty clear that Soares was not wanted here, no brainer for Tom.

How was it made clear he was not wanted here?

I totally agree with the OP. I totally blame Watson for Tom going. I know at the end of the day it up to Tom to decline the Stoke offer but I would imagine, knowing the type of person he is, he understood the reasons why Palace needed him to go and accepted. I'm not saying for one minute the lure of Premiership football didn't come in it - I'm sure it did, but I don't believe he wanted to go.

I'd be happy not to see Watson in the team again. I won't boo him but I certainly won't applaud him either. I wish he would feck off with is mate Hudson.

peagle
02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
By some of the imbecile fans on here that constantly put him down. Sorry to be harsh but it's true.

Palace Palare
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
A question to everyone that thinks that Watson is guilty for Soares going to Stoke:

Have you ever been on jury duty?

Lords Eagle
02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by rainbow_child
Ben should never put on the Crystal Palace shirt again & i hope he is stuck in the reserves until January to rot!! :veryangry

Is Ben allowed to play in skins for the reserves?

Young Trolley
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Palace Palare
A question to everyone that thinks that Watson is guilty for Soares going to Stoke:

Have you ever been on jury duty? Yes and I don't see what you mean? :confused:

Fact is Watson had no intention of accepting any other deal than to QPR. They clearly wanted to pay nothing more than a nominal fee for him now or wait till the summer. Ben obviously knows this, however he has chosen to just sit by and watch Palace sign his replacement before he leaves and then watch them have to sell another player held in high regard who we did not want to let go and who had made no request to go anywhere to cover the shortful. I bet he's feeling pretty smug now as we have started poorly and despite being initially frozen out now will be recalled with the chance to put himself back in the shop window to the highest bidder next summer. Will it have to be QPR and only QPR then when he can go where he likes and we cannot do anything about it?

I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t he ends up at the clowns with his buddy Hudson.

He has screwed the club over big time. The honourable thing to do was to see whether we could thrash out a deal with QPR, if we couldn't he should have made it clear he had no intention of accepting any other offer from Forest or anyone else. Who knows we may have decided to taker the 1 million on offer from QPR then rather than hold out for more and end up losing Tom Soares?

I don't care if he's f*ckin Robinho, I'd rather never see him in a Palace shirt again

LLCOOLSTEVE
02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by AJ
total crap....Tom Soares, like all footballers was under contract at Palace, he could have decided to stay at Palace, but, HE(Soares) chose to go to Stoke. Not Watson's fault at all. Grow up!

:)

mik59
02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I used to read fans of other, high profile clubs pouring out this emotional stuff based on assumptions, rumours and slim press stories, and I shook my head. I occasionally smiled. Now I'm sad.

I really hope such people don't react this way to real people in their real lives. Oh, wait a minute...

Lords Eagle
02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes and I don't see what you mean? :confused:

Fact is Watson had no intention of accepting any other deal than to QPR. They clearly wanted to pay nothing more than a nominal fee for him now or wait till the summer. Ben obviously knows this, however he has chosen to just sit by and watch Palace sign his replacement before he leaves and then watch them have to sell another player held in high regard who we did not want to let go and who had made no request to go anywhere to cover the shortful. I bet he's feeling pretty smug now as we have started poorly and despite being initially frozen out now will be recalled with the chance to put himself back in the shop window to the highest bidder next summer. Will it have to be QPR and only QPR then when he can go where he likes and we cannot do anything about it?

I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t he ends up at the clowns with his buddy Hudson.

He has screwed the club over big time. The honourable thing to do was to see whether we could thrash out a deal with QPR, if we couldn't he should have made it clear he had no intention of accepting any other offer from Forest or anyone else. Who knows we may have decided to taker the 1 million on offer from QPR then rather than hold out for more and end up losing Tom Soares?

I don't care if he's f*ckin Robinho, I'd rather never see him in a Palace shirt again

I love the way people use the word 'fact', how do you know 'for a fact' that Ben has no intention of accepting a deal from anybody other than QPR? So if a team like say Villa or Spurs, established permier sides, came up with an offer Ben would have said 'no, I'm waiting for QPR', and I assume you know all the facts around the dealings of Watson and Soares, all the conversations that have been held between Palace and the players and other clubs and the players, have insight into their personal thoughts and feelings?

Sussex Eagle
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by philsick
You sure? I'd heard that Ben didn't want to go to Forest at least a week before Warnock announced Soares and Scowie were being made available, all of 3 days before the transfer window. If Watson had been up for going there, do you really think we'd have accepted the offer for Soares? The plan was for Watson to be gone a while back.

Palace Palare
02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes and I don't see what you mean? :confused: You don't see what I mean? Really?? Let me explain...in a jury setting you have just convicted someone for something that they had no direct responsibility for.

Watson is responsible for making his own bed and now he is having to lie in it. He's certainly not responsible for anyone elses, no matter how much you would like him to be. You're prejudging the individuals, one in particular and that is known as 'prejudice'. This is borne out by your diatribe about what Watson was thinking, planning and doing. None of which you can substantiate.

You hope that Watson gets nowhere near Palace's first team again. I hope that you never get near a jury bench again.

alaneagle
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
i think we should play him- we reli can't afford to have another player picking up his wage and not contributing- watson would add something to the team and it would be silly not to use that

glaziers fan
02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
thanks ben watson. you can push us up the table now:p

saul1664
02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Can't believe so many people are getting het up about two mediocre championship players, both who have had time to develop.

Ben Watson has a fair passing range, but seems unable to cross a ball, and to my knowledge, has never put a decent cross in from a corner and he's taken hundreds, he doesn't seem to have much drive and doesn't score enough, and with his missed penalty, the main cause for us not actually being in the premier league.

Tom Soares has been the most ineffective midfield player I have ever seen, more lightweight then Leigterwood, another player who seems unable to take people on or cross a ball, so bad sometimes, you don't even realise he is on the pitch, not to mention his abysmal finishing in front of goal.

Neither of these have set the transfer window alight, if the limit of his ambitions is to join another relegation fodder premiership side who got beat 5-0 at home to Wigan, then good luck to him.

Watson is entitled to choose who he plays for, anyone here looking to secure a job offer, would choose the one that most suits them, why should it be any different, again he has garnered lukewarm interest from average championship clubs, so these overrated players are just that, overrated.

Nick Carle is a better player than them both, easy to see only after a few games, and Derry has more drive (and dare say Fletcher) then Watson ever did. Let them go and move on.

etu
02-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by New LP
The problem is that there simply wasn't the interest that I think many people, Watson included, thought there would be. He clearly felt that Forest was at best a sideways move which would mean leaving the south and decided that QPR where his only choice. He's looking after himself, he has a right to do that, just like the club has the right to release young players who don't make the grade earlier in their careers. Football is a mercenary thing. Of course while he's still being paid by CPFC he should play, he can help win us matches and get us up the table. I don't really care all that much about him as a bloke, I won't be singing his name but as long as he plays well then that suits both parties. It would be cutting off our nose to spite our face to 'let him rot in the reserves' or whatever. Lets get from him what we can.

It'll be interesting to see how he fits in with Carle that's for sure.

Right on.

To everyone who wants Watson banned from the first team for the almighty and heinous sins of not wanting to sign a new contract or make a sideways move - who are you going to play?

And what do you care more about - this club's success, or petty onemanupship?

Big Patch
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I posted this in the other thread and it seems even more apt in this one:

What a joke of a thread. BW said he didn't want to sign a contract extension so the club, rightfully, made the decision to try and sell him. That hasn't happened. What you fail to understand is that football is a career and as a player you want to further yourself. Him choosing not to go to Notts Forest isn't him being a spoilt little twat, it's him weighing up that Notts Forest isn't the right career move. He's identified the company or club he wants to go to but it hasn't happened. Lets get on with it and enjoy the benefit he'll bring to the team.
Think of the positives, you've another season to boo him if you like.

spotkick
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Ben in the first team and I'm please to see the back of Soares.

Billy Rhino
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
i think we should play him- we reli can't afford to have another player picking up his wage and not contributing- watson would add something to the team and it would be silly not to use that
I agree, it's the same situation as with Julian Gray and I dont see many Palace fans bemoaning the fact we got promoted because of him.

And we should pick Kuqi as well..........um, maybe a bridge too far??

RDSdaEAGLE
02-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Big Patch
Him choosing not to go to Notts Forest isn't him being a spoilt little twat, it's him weighing up that Notts Forest isn't the right career move.

Was this before or after Forest told him that his 15k per week wage demands were excessive?

Malakite
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Jamie Smith - I thought he was class!

LLCOOLSTEVE
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
lets not post numbers as facts hey

Big Patch
02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by saul1664
and with his missed penalty, the main cause for us not actually being in the premier league.

Roll up roll up. That right you've heard it here first Ben Watson is the main cause for us not getting promoted.
Here, shake my hilarious electric shock hand. Oooo watch out for the water squirting flower on my lapel.........

I heard he missed the penalty on purpose so he could turn down a new contract.

Malakite
02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE

Was this before or after Forest told him that his 15k per week wage demands were excessive? [/B] :p

Big Patch
02-09-2008, 11:08 PM

Was this before or after Forest told him that his 15k per week wage demands were excessive? [/B]

Of course, the traitor that leaves Palace is all about the money. :rolleyes: I imagine it's more to do with teaming up with your old boss, not having to relocate and having a couple of financial heavyweights supporting the club. More money, yes. The main reason for him moving, doubtful.

RDSdaEAGLE
02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Of course, the traitor that leaves Palace is all about the money. :rolleyes: I imagine it's more to do with teaming up with your old boss, not having to relocate and having a couple of financial heavyweights supporting the club. More money, yes. The main reason for him moving, doubtful.

There's more chance of Ben making a career of it at Forest than there is at QPR. He's likely to be turfed out should they make the Premiership. Besides, Warnock said there had been no interest whatsoever from QPR - so it really is a bit pie in the sky.

I'm not claiming Watson to be a traitor; I actually thought he deserved a move. But I'm of the opinion that, if Watson really wanted to move on, he should have considered offers from clubs that actually wanted him, rather than to sit, wait and hope for an offer from a club that (by the looks of it) didn't want him.

I don't blame Watson for Soares' departure - Soares' move was due to multiple causality.

Billy Rhino
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
I confess I'm more of a Watson fan than Soares, as I can see some true ability within Watson, but to be honest they have both been pretty average since their inception to the Palace team and their progress has been been very slow.

It must be remembered that professional football is a difficult environment and both haven't been outclassed, and have both occasionally excelled, but we have simply ran out of time as a club.

The saddest thing with the whole situation is that it has caused such a divisive wedge between our own fans. Both players should have been loaned out to smaller clubs in their earlier years to learn their trade but unfortunately, due to various circumstances, were thrown in the deep end and have struggled to swim.

Best of luck to both of them I say.:p

etu
03-09-2008, 12:05 AM
There's more chance of Ben making a career of it at Forest than there is at QPR. He's likely to be turfed out should they make the Premiership. Besides, Warnock said there had been no interest whatsoever from QPR - so it really is a bit pie in the sky.

I'm not claiming Watson to be a traitor; I actually thought he deserved a move. But I'm of the opinion that, if Watson really wanted to move on, he should have considered offers from clubs that actually wanted him, rather than to sit, wait and hope for an offer from a club that (by the looks of it) didn't want him.

I don't blame Watson for Soares' departure - Soares' move was due to multiple causality.

Thing is he probably wants to move up not sideways. I imagine he thought Premiership interest would be forthcoming and in the current situation, would rather wait another year and see if he's more attractive if the fee is nominal - particularly if he has another good year.

BaldEagle96
03-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Besides, Warnock said there had been no interest whatsoever from QPR - so it really is a bit pie in the sky.

And you believe everything you hear? I have it on very good authority that Simon Jordan was in constant touch with his opposite number at QPR trying to do a deal on the price but they were not prepared to pay over a certain figure. If Jordan had accepted that then Watson would now be a QPR player.

Dan123
03-09-2008, 06:46 AM
This thread is poor.

Ben is a genuine chap who has worked hard for the club.

He even brought me a drink in tiger tiger once because he accidently jumped the queue in front of me at the bar.

If i got boo'ed everytime i came into work, i think i would look into moving on too....

IanH
03-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Fans at the end of the day only care for the club they support - the players come and go and most level headed fans can take them or leave them. If Watson is picked and plays well then he will be fine (e.g. Julian Gray's return under Dowie). His problem as I see it, is that the team is struggling and fans could well get on his back if he comes back in and plays badly.

the digger
03-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Just read the scowie thread before this one, and I can't help thinking that they are both cases of bad man-management.

Thin on Top
03-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I am a northern boy who has recently turned down a job in london, and am waiting for a job nearer home to be with my family.

my company knows the situation and have offered me a pay rise. i haven't spoken to them yet, as i'm concentrating full time on moving elsewhere ?

i've been at this company for 13 years.

after reading this thread i'm starting to get a bit paranoid.

Baloo
03-09-2008, 07:39 AM
This thread is ridiculous and filled (in the most part) with juvenile crap that makes me cringe with embarassment and despair.

I don't know why I bother with GPD anymore.

andy m
03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
I really think this could have a bit of a silver lining. Soares really isn't that good - Watson isn't either, but he is marginally the better of the two and since he shared top spot in last season's assist table with Speroni I don't believe we can afford to let him rot in the reserves just on a point of principle. We can do that with Kuqi because he adds nothing to the team, Watson's a different matter.

As for Soares, all those proclaiming his move to a Premiership side as evidence of his brilliance will, I'm sure, eat their words when he fails to establish himself in that team and is inevitably back in the Championship next season.

GreatGonzo
03-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
I am a northern boy who has recently turned down a job in london, and am waiting for a job nearer home to be with my family.

my company knows the situation and have offered me a pay rise. i haven't spoken to them yet, as i'm concentrating full time on moving elsewhere ?

i've been at this company for 13 years.

after reading this thread i'm starting to get a bit paranoid.

You are only after the money and are being a parasite to your current employer!

You are a disgrace and should stay with the company who have backed you for 13 years no matter what. Even if all they give you is making tea and sweeping the floors then you must stay - it is your duty!

;)

100% Palace
03-09-2008, 07:56 AM

And didn't he do so, so well up at Elland Road.

100% Palace
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by saul1664
Neither of these have set the transfer window alight, if the limit of his ambitions is to join another relegation fodder premiership side who got beat 5-0 at home to Wigan, then good luck to him.

That was Hull wasnt it?

GreatGonzo
03-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 100% Palace
That was Hull wasnt it?

Shhhhh that post was possibly the worst i have seen for a long long time, silly errors like that are the least of it! ;)

Stoke have even won a league game this year, as have Hull ;)

the digger
03-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by 100% Palace
And didn't he do so, so well up at Elland Road.

Wasn't at the game, so I am prepared to be slated, but from listening on the radio it sounded like he did. My impression was that his range of passing meant that for the first time in a while the balls played forward to our lone striker were finding their mark, or space for Andrew to exploit meaning that Nicky Carle could be brought into the game.

sydnsteve
03-09-2008, 08:34 AM
So, he walked up to Warnock and said: I want to leave or I will see out my contract here and stop you getting a fee as I am not signing my new contract. Oh wait...

Do you really think he wanted to leave? Warnock said he had to sell him as Watson wanted the money of that excellent well-run and managed club QPR.

Yeah brilliant.

Look. Just as BW said no, so could TS. Stoke came in , the club accepted the offer, it is then totally down to the player. He decided to go. It's their job, and they try to get the best deal, which is what BW is also doing. To suggest we let him rot if he will improve the team is a nonsense. if he won't, then he shouldn't play. if he does, he should.

Big Patch
03-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Big Patch
03-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Really?? I imagine if I was a pro footballer and had meetings with Forest and QPR I'd be hungrier to join the likes of QPR once I've heard the bigger picture and the ambition of the club. I also doubt that BW wasn't given some indication that QPR were interested, aside from NW's comments but neither of us know that.
This next bit isn't aimed at you but this thread is one of the most disgusting I've read in a long time. If any of you read Ben's blog you can see he loves this club and has, even when getting booed by his own fans, stayed professional throughout. It's just time for a change, he's been here six years and wants to better himself. At the Swansea match I'll be cheering my heart out for him as he deserves better than the majority of comments on here.

:veryangry

Benzhiyi
03-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Baloo
This thread is ridiculous and filled (in the most part) with juvenile crap that makes me cringe with embarassment and despair.

I don't know why I bother with GPD anymore.

Yep.

A few years ago people who moaned on these boards where cheerily told to 'piss off and support Spurs/Chelski'. And rightly so.

In contrast, if the current state of GPD is anything to go by, we now have one of the most negative, whingeing fanbases in the entire league.

This thread is disgraceful, by the way. As long as Ben Watson is selected in the team it's every fan's duty to get behind him, whatever may happen in the future. Anyone watch the Villa-Liverpool game at the weekend? Even after a summer of him making it clear that he wanted away, the Villa fans still sang "There's only one Gareth Barry" throughout. It's called class. It's called rising above it. It's called showing a player that you appreciate them and want them to stay. And it's called SUPPORT.

Some of our fans should try it.

ffsear
03-09-2008, 08:55 AM

This next bit isn't aimed at you but this thread is one of the most disgusting I've read in a long time. If any of you read Ben's blog you can see he loves this club and has, even when getting booed by his own fans, stayed professional throughout. It's just time for a change, he's been here six years and wants to better himself. At the Swansea match I'll be cheering my heart out for him as he deserves better than the majority of comments on here.

At least someone has some sense!! This forum is a joke !!!

rolyhamroll
03-09-2008, 09:00 AM
How making him 'rot in the reserves' would help anyone I do not know. Ben is one of our best players, and needs to be playing in the first team, particularly given our current predicament.

If you look at how the transfers of many of our top players have been handled recently, it leaves a lot to be desired. It looks like a fire sale.

I don't blame Ben for trying to better himself. I just hope he gets to play again, otherwise we're realled f_cked!

kolinkins
03-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Tom was sold because of the Ben Watson situation, rather than Ben Watson per se.

Benzhiyi makes a cracking post.

Al From Bromley
03-09-2008, 09:01 AM
If only he'd scored that penalty eh? :)

Al From Bromley
03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
"it's every fan's duty to get behind him, whatever may happen in the future."

Who are you? Mussolini? :)

Benzhiyi
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
"it's every fan's duty to get behind him, whatever may happen in the future."

Who are you? Mussolini? :)

Benzholini. :o

Al From Bromley
03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Good for colds, or is it coughs? :)

saul1664
03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Shhhhh that post was possibly the worst i have seen for a long long time, silly errors like that are the least of it! ;)

Stoke have even won a league game this year, as have Hull ;)

I don't think you can really comment about worst posts about palace to be fair. I did mix up stoke and hull though.

ian1509
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Really?? I imagine if I was a pro footballer and had meetings with Forest and QPR I'd be hungrier to join the likes of QPR once I've heard the bigger picture and the ambition of the club. I also doubt that BW wasn't given some indication that QPR were interested, aside from NW's comments but neither of us know that.

You don't seriously believe that he writes that do you?

red&blue_moomin
03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by etu
Right on.

To everyone who wants Watson banned from the first team for the almighty and heinous sins of not wanting to sign a new contract or make a sideways move - who are you going to play?

And what do you care more about - this club's success, or petty onemanupship?

petty onemanupship by the looks of it. What a bunch of whining tarts we are turning into. Just like the Berbatov situation innit oh no wait.......

red&blue_moomin
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Yep.

A few years ago people who moaned on these boards where cheerily told to 'piss off and support Spurs/Chelski'. And rightly so.

In contrast, if the current state of GPD is anything to go by, we now have one of the most negative, whingeing fanbases in the entire league.

This thread is disgraceful, by the way. As long as Ben Watson is selected in the team it's every fan's duty to get behind him, whatever may happen in the future. Anyone watch the Villa-Liverpool game at the weekend? Even after a summer of him making it clear that he wanted away, the Villa fans still sang "There's only one Gareth Barry" throughout. It's called class. It's called rising above it. It's called showing a player that you appreciate them and want them to stay. And it's called SUPPORT.

Weeell I'm starting to think we have a bunch of whining teenagers for fans. Pretty pathetic really.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
03-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by red&blue_moomin
Weeell I'm starting to think we have a bunch of whining teenagers for fans. Pretty pathetic really.

Whilst it can be frustrating...you shouldn't knock the teenage support...its the future..and we were all there once...probably with similar views, its just we didnt have the opportunity to express them..on internet bulletin boards...and thats what a BBS is all about expressing views..so despite reservations on whether the thread is good/bad, liked/not liked...its someones right to post isn't it. ?

smileysmith
03-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Lovin' Benzhiyi's post. :p :lux:

I've been wondering if I support Spurs recently, Palace fans seem to have become so similar to them ...

Tom's Old Man
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Ben Watson is a better footballer than Tom Soares will ever be. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

kolinkins
03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Tom's Old Man
Ben Watson is a better footballer than Tom Soares will ever be. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

So do Premier League clubs.

pauldrulez
03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Look. Just as BW said no, so could TS. Stoke came in , the club accepted the offer, it is then totally down to the player. He decided to go. It's their job, and they try to get the best deal, which is what BW is also doing. To suggest we let him rot if he will improve the team is a nonsense. if he won't, then he shouldn't play. if he does, he should.
Fair enough then.

But, If Tom had said I am not going, what would have happened, since we obviously needed the money so much?

In all honesty, I supported Gray, despite all his stupid antics and that and I will probably do the same with Watson as he is a Palace player and you dont boo anyone in a shirt (except Kuqi, and possibly Ifill), or players that arent trying their hardest. I didnt boo when he missed the pen against Brizzle, and I didnt boo when he stepped up to take at Selhurst the first time.

If someone plays for their shirt and not for a move or for money, then they all their past stupidness is forgotten.

emmaleigh92
03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Letting him rot in the reserves would be such a waste of a good player. He is still a palace player and the fans should support him.

greybot
03-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by emmaleigh92
Letting him rot in the reserves would be such a waste of a good player. He is still a palace player and the fans should support him.

Nice try Ben :)

little dedders
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM

1) ummm off
2)please explain how he has not screwed us over in putting himself completely before the club and allowing soares to go
3)how was sj supposed to know that watson would be a total prick about who he moved to etc

little dedders
03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by emmaleigh92

exactly, if he wants a move in january he has to work his ass off from now til then, we might as well use the

FromSelhurst
03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
blaming ben for tom leaving is just dumb.

maestro
03-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by little dedders
1) ummm off
2)please explain how he has not screwed us over in putting himself completely before the club and allowing soares to go
3)how was sj supposed to know that watson would be a total prick about who he moved to etc

re number 2 , ill explain, bens been at this club for a number of years and has been a good servant, he's decided that at the end of this contract he will try elsewhere, he's perfectly entitled to do that, its his football career and like most of us here, I imagine he does care for your employer but ultimately you have to look after your owns interests first.

The fans here want it both ways, they were booing him and telling him to f off and calling him everyname under the sun and now they want him to sign a new deal, when im afriad things like that he probably doesnt forget very easilly.

re number 3, Who he signs for is entirely upto him, he probably doesnt want to go to nottingham, If I was him i wouldnt, not a great area and a backwards move, he's better off seeing what happens next year when out of contract.

maestro
03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Yep.

thats the best point on this thread, well said :p

David
03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Because Ben Watson did not go to Forest we HAD to sell Tom to Stoke. I doubt very much whether he had any option about it. We NEEDED the monety therefore he had to go.

This is aimed at all the people saying Tom could have refused to join Stoke - I suspect it was a case of we had accepted an offer and he MUST go.

GreatGonzo
03-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Yep.

Ben Watson hasn't critisied his manager for the handling of it all.

Ben Watson hasn't publically said he wasn't to joing another club (agents and Warnock have) and i believe Barry did both these things did he not?

There is even more reason for Watson to get support from Palace fans than Barry is getting, 13th will be interesting to see what happens. Lets remember he was applauded when warming up against Burnley.

GreatGonzo
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by David
This is aimed at all the people saying Tom could have refused to join Stoke - I suspect it was a case of we had accepted an offer and he MUST go.

Clinton did not want to join Brum by all accounts and was told it was needed by the club and so he went.

CaptainCharisma
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
The way i see it, it is dissappointing and frustrating that Ben turned down the contract, but when it happened i wished that situation had been Soares and not Ben.

Soares had his moments and was loyal, but i have never been a fan of his which i have always admitted on here. Out of the two, Ben simply is the better player. But despite a lot of us complaining about Tom on here, Ben was the only one who got heavily booed by a section of fans when he took a penalty for us!! So in some ways, i can't blame him for wanting to leave.

JPC1998
03-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks a lot Ben Watson. I for one don't want you anywhere near our first team, if you play I won't boo but I won't cheer you either, I think it's disgusting the way you and your agent have f*cked us over this summer and I hope your career now goes down the toilet and Tom Sores goes on to play for England :grrr: [/B][/QUOTE]

Got to be the funniest quote ever, Tom sores (spelt wrong btw) goes on to play for England, f###ing hilarious.
everyone allowed to there own opinion mate but your taking the p###.

Santos-er
03-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Yep.

Unfortunately, what we see on here is a fair reflection of the fans at Selhurst these days. The day Watson was booed before taking a penalty will live long in the memory.

No doubt it will for Ben too, and is probably part of the reason he wants out.

AJ's right boot
03-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Ben Watson is a better footballer than Tom Soares will ever be. I know who I'd rather have in my team. And thats from his Dad!! Blimey.

Skiddo
03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
So we are now blaming Watson for Soares leaving?

What a load of sh*t.

Watson is/was 10x the player Soares is.

He's still at the club, under contract, so why not get the use out of him and stick him in the first team.

Watson has done far more for CPFC than Soares has. After 6 years surely he's entitled to try something different.

To come back from the whole booing incident and come out the other side a better player says a lot for me. He could have left the club then but he didnt.

F*ck me, the way someone people go on, anyone would think Soares was better than Steven Gerrard.

ffsear
03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Skiddo

Watson is/was 10x the player Soares is.

Totally agree! No doubt Soares did have his moments, but he was never consistant... Dowie, Taylor and Warnork never really knew what to do with him!

Bourne Eagle
03-09-2008, 07:32 PM

But everybody was moaning when we did it the other way with Morrison (You can please some people some of the time etc etc)

Young Trolley
03-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ffsear
Totally agree! No doubt Soares did have his moments, but he was never consistant... Dowie, Taylor and Warnork never really knew what to do with him!

Never knew what to do with him? What you mean apart from consistently playing him in the starting eleven you mean? :confused:

Young Trolley
03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]

Got to be the funniest quote ever, Tom sores (spelt wrong btw) goes on to play for England, f###ing hilarious.
everyone allowed to there own opinion mate but your taking the p###. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I left the "a" out whilst typing, "Soares" is that better? what exactly has the mistype got to do with it anyway? Does it make me less of a fan because I missed a letter out?

F*ckin c*ck :grrr:

Is it really so funny that at 22 to suggest I hoped, not that he would but that I hoped he would go on to play for Engalnd, why could he not develop to this level? He's only 22, now in the Premier league having already played there at 18, has played for England under 21's.

Well???

ffsear
03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Yea, beacuse we always had so many midfield options did'nt we! He's never had a consistent role in the side when you compare him with the like of watson, derry, hughes etc! All he did was fill gaps!

Tom's Old Man
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM

everyone allowed to there own opinion mate but your taking the p###. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I left the "a" out whilst typing, "Soares" is that better? what exactly has the mistype got to do with it anyway? Does it make me less of a fan because I missed a letter out?

Is it really so funny that at 22 to suggest I hoped, not that he would but that I hoped he would go on to play for Engalnd, why could he not develop to this level? He's only 22, now in the Premier league having already played there at 18, has played for England under 21's.

Well??? [/B][/QUOTE]
For England's sake I hope he doesn't. Come on, I'm sure we all wish Tom the best, but he is a very average player.

Young Trolley
03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Yea, beacuse we always had so many midfield options did'nt we! He's never had a consistent role in the side when you compare him with the like of watson, derry, hughes etc! All he did was fill gaps! He's always had a consistent role in the side, and every manager has consistently played him. To suggest otherwise on the basis of not having other options is ridiculous, like saying Lampard has no role in Chelsea team because they don't have better options like Kaka or Robiniho.

Whatever midfielders we've had at our disposal over the last 4 years Soares has consistently been chosen ahead of them. Fletcher, Watson, Hughes, they've all spent time out of the picture while Tom has always played, mostly wide, sometimes central.

So tell me again how does that equate to 3 managers not knowing what to do with him and him not having a consistent role? :confused:

Young Trolley
03-09-2008, 07:58 PM
everyone allowed to there own opinion mate but your taking the p###.

Well??? [/B][/QUOTE]
For England's sake I hope he doesn't. Come on, I'm sure we all wish Tom the best, but he is a very average player. [/B][/QUOTE]

So was Gareth Barry a few years back, now he's Liverpool and England's saviour. If Tom's good enough why would we hope he wouldn't too play for his country?

Tom's Old Man
03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Purely because he is an average player, and England Internationals need to be better than that. No other reason.

ffsear
03-09-2008, 08:04 PM

So tell me again how does that equate to 3 managers not knowing what to do with him and him not having a consistent role? :confused:

Because if hes as good as you claims he is, how come he never made such a such big impact on the side? How many goals??

PLEASE!!! You comparing him to lampard and claiming he will play for England!

pauldrulez
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
He's better than that fat Chelsea bastard any day.

Young Trolley
03-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Because if hes as good as you claims he is, how come he never made such a such big impact on the side? How many goals??

PLEASE!!! You comparing him to lampard and claiming he will play for England!

So now your definition for "knowing what to do with him" and for him to have "a consistent role" is making a major impact on the side and scoring loads of goals.

No, no it is not, having a consistent role is playing him, regardless of how he performs

ffsear
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Totally missed the point!! well done sir!

Barbara4003
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
If any of you read Ben's blog you can see he loves this club .....

Talk is cheap. He's hardly going to start up a blog and write negative things about the Club that is paying him, is he?

If loving the club means you sit tight and screw them over for a million or so, then God help football.

JPC1998
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
So was Gareth Barry a few years back, now he's Liverpool and England's saviour. If Tom's good enough why would we hope he wouldn't too play for his country? [/B][/QUOTE]

"Liverpool & England's" saviour, firstly was'nt aware of Barry playing for Liverpool, and secondly saving England's footballing crisis is gonna take alot more than Gareth Barry, and I'm not suggesting the inclusion of Tom Soares would help !

Just to infuriate you more Soares is just an almost average player, just like Matt Lawrence, Dean(shakes his fist at the Holmesdale) Austin, and Sweet Left foot Simon Rodger.

Our problem at
Palace and for our national team is the lack of players with natural footballing ability, too many players are turned away because they are not tall enough or athletic enough, you ask any academy player. Most people would agree Moses & Scannell arethe way forward not tall athlectic players (soares) who can't controll a ball or pass it. To clarify football players should be able to play football.

nomad
06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by GDP
I like Ben Watson and have backed him so far with his transfer saga but I do feel he needs to show Palace some true commitment while he's still here.

I do think Tom would still be here if Watson had left.

Tom who? Soares was anonymous for the better part of most games. Like Watson, a much better player when we were in the Prem who imo has never adapted to Championship football. Ben finally has and although disappointing that he has turned down a new contract, do we know why? Was it money or the direct football that Colin insists on playing?

On the subject of direct football, why does he perservere with Lawrence at the back rather than Fonte (or is he injured). As soon as Lawrence gets the ball he hoofs it anywhere.

Young Trolley
10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by JPC1998
So was Gareth Barry a few years back, now he's Liverpool and England's saviour. If Tom's good enough why would we hope he wouldn't too play for his country?

"Liverpool & England's" saviour, firstly was'nt aware of Barry playing for LiverpoolB][/QUOTE]

He isn't but they did court him all summer when he was seen as the missing piece in their championship jigsaw or did you miss that?

Anyway I know you know exactly what I meant by that :hmph:

glaziers fan
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
So do Premier League clubs.

so does one premier club :p

UEAgle
11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
so does one premier club :p

Fulham were very interested in Tom as well.

kolinkins
11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
As were Hull.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by UEAgle
Fulham were very interested in Tom as well.

fulham were interested in watson too

kolinkins
11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
That was paper talk.

Watson was wanted (but not wanted enough) by CCC sides. Soares was destined for the Premier League.

Kaberle_15
11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I can't agree with the people that suggest that Tom didnt want to leave, and was effectively forced to go to Stoke. I'm not doubting that he was sad to leave Palace which has been the only club he has known until now, but I very much doubt that he would have turned down the chance of Premiership football to stay at Palace.

Soares did a job for us, but it seems like his value in some peoples opinions has been inflated by the fact that he has left for the Premiership. Its not a case of a Watson vs Soares debate, they're different types of players. But I don't think we will miss Tom as much as people think.

People need to get off Ben's back. Would you go to work for a company that you don't want to work for in an area that you don't want to live? I wouldnt think so. People are suggesting that it was all about the money, but there is no factual evidence of that, just rumours. Maybe Watson just didnt want to move to the midlands, or didn't want to make a sideways career move.

The team will be better with Watson in it that without him. I for one will be getting behind him when I see him play. I would imagine our team will play better without players getting boo'd.

TurkeyTwizzler
11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Kaberle_15

People need to get off Ben's back. Would you go to work for a company that you don't want to work for in an area that you don't want to live? I wouldnt think so. People are suggesting that it was all about the money, but there is no factual evidence of that, just rumours. Maybe Watson just didnt want to move to the midlands, or didn't want to make a sideways career move.

People need to stop looking at football and comparing it to a business. Its not a business, no matter how much people say it is. The fact that players can't just up and leave whenever they like goes to show that it is far from being a business, I think FIFA wanted to put some ruling through the EU to make football exempt from Human Rights or something like that.

Its a world of its own.

Watson did himself no favours. Soares was professional and got his head down and worked for his transfer, whether he was looking for one or not, and look who is playing in the Premiership now out of the two.

Beanie
11-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by racehorse-80s
Not playing him will only drive his price down IMO.
No more than the end of his contract will. With 6 months to run to a virtual free no club will offer more than about 500k in January. SJ and NW will be left to gamble on the tribunal fee in the summer or accept the offer. Playing him or not won't make a huge difference now.

As to Soares, I think it is simplistic to say he went because Watson didn't. If NW wanted to keep Soares but needed to raise a bit of money he could have sold (or at least tried to sell) a few of the fringe players much earlier in the window before putting Soares on the list. Lower fees, lower wages so more possible buyers and if he'd got rid of three or four the finances would have been about the same. No, something more to this. Personally I suspect Soares said privately that he wouldn't sign a new deal when the time came, and this avoided another Watson situation, to everybodys benefit. Just an opinion.

Beanie
11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TurkeyTwizzler
People need to stop looking at football and comparing it to a business. Its not a business, no matter how much people say it is. The fact that players can't just up and leave whenever they like goes to show that it is far from being a business, I think FIFA wanted to put some ruling through the EU to make football exempt from Human Rights or something like that.
It is a business - it's just that the employees sign fixed term contracts not open ended ones. We have people working for our company who, like a footballer, cannot leave unless they "buy themselves out", I was in the position myself for while. Football is an unusal business, but the basic rules apply, it's about a product trying to attract customers and the company trying to make a profit. A normal business put it's profits back into new facilities or the shareholders pockets, football clubs it's new players or shareholders. The fact that UEFA and FIFA have at various times acted as if football is outside business laws and have failed is proof. Football has some dispensations, so do other businesses.

The most important thing, however, is the attitude of the employee. Once a player was dedicated to a club and rarely moved more than a couple of times, now the club is no more than a means to an end , a step to the better job. I doubt we'll see the one club player again, unless the player is lucky enough to emerge at one of the mega-payers, then he'll stay, but because he'd earn less elsewhere, not becuase he's dedicated.

TurkeyTwizzler
11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Beanie... Why dont we see more of players buying out thier contracts then? Surely Ronaldo would have just bought out his contract and gone to Real Madrid if he really wanted to no?

Barbara4003
11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Football isn't the same or anywhere near the same as other businesses.

In what other job could an employee (Kuqi) insult the top customer (the fans) and not be sacked on the spot? I know at my job, if I were to insult our top customer, I would be sacked immediately. Although Kuqi is no longer playing first team football, he is still employed and still getting paid. :)

Beanie
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by TurkeyTwizzler
Beanie... Why dont we see more of players buying out thier contracts then? Surely Ronaldo would have just bought out his contract and gone to Real Madrid if he really wanted to no?
Don't know - probably because the cost of buying out the contract is very high in the first few years. Perhaps the Madrid deal less the cost of buying out his contract would have made him worse off than staying at Man Utd. It seems to happen most with two years or less on their current deal.

Beanie
11-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
Football isn't the same or anywhere near the same as other businesses.

In what other job could an employee (Kuqi) insult the top customer (the fans) and not be sacked on the spot? I know at my job, if I were to insult our top customer, I would be sacked immediately. Although Kuqi is no longer playing first team football, he is still employed and still getting paid. :)
Any job with a strong union behind them allows pretty free reign. You only have to go into some shops, ride a bus, use the tube and you'll find people who are rude to all and sundry and don't get sacked because the union won't allow it. In football the PFA have the agreement that the worse a player can be punished is two weeks wages. It is possible to be sacked for gross misconduct - Adrian Mutu and Lee Hughes being examples - but very rare. As for Kuqi, he is employed to be a footballer at Palace, not to play in the first team. He does still play for the club, if poorly and in the reserves, hence he gets paid.

sw16girl
13-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Reading some of the comments early on in this thread is pretty amusing ;)

Well done Ben - played like the professional you are.

Sussex Eagle
13-09-2008, 05:50 PM
In fairness, Warnock confirmed today that the only reason we sold Soares was Ben/his people's whims. But he also said he had no problem at all with Ben as a player/person, which I can agree with.

As Neil said, shame about his 'acquaintances'.

cdm61
13-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Did we miss Soares today - no - would have missed Ben - YES

James
13-09-2008, 06:50 PM
It's a simple equation:

Palace - Watson = Mid Table Mediocrity
Palace + Watson = Potential Promotion Candidates.

Don't let any irritation with glaziers fan blind you to this fact.

NorwoodPride
13-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Blah-blah-fookin'-blah. Let's cut to the chase. Ben was huge for us today, he singlehandedly transformed a mediocre side into something fast approaching seriously exciting and creative football.

Maz
13-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Watson, with the team we currently have, is essential to our success.

Er, end of.

cranesparkeagle
13-09-2008, 08:07 PM
With my own eyes I saw what Ben brings to the team. For me Carle can do the Soares job and very well too. But Ben opens people up which is gold dust at this level

Isle of Wight
13-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Can a mod please edit the title of this thread to read:

"Thanks Ben Watson, you just got us 3 points"

spotkick
13-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I was delighted that the palace fans cheered his name and many stood and applauded ben when he came to take corners or throw ons.

The game suited him and we have to be aware that other teams will attempt to mark him out of the game.

That said it was a perfect return and he was in the eyes of many MOM today.

Beyond Xmas sho knows but right now we have a player who really wants to play first team football.

If Soares is worh 1.5 million then I suggest ben is worth 3.

Going to watch match of the day now after a most enjoyable days Palace watching in the Sun.

Eagles.

glaziers fan
14-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
Can a mod please edit the title of this thread to read:

"Thanks Ben Watson, you just got us 3 points"

:D

Thanks Ben for getting us a transfer fee for Tom Soares and for turning round our season;)

Ian of Chatham
14-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by spotkick
Beyond Xmas sho knows but right now we have a player who really wants to play first team football.
Spot on and that's good enough for me and I was one of those who doubted him on here. It's funny old game football, sometimes I could be happiest when I have been proved wrong as in this case.

Thank you very much Ben Watson, well done :p

Maz
14-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I was delighted that the palace fans cheered his name and many stood and applauded ben when he came to take corners or throw ons.
Me too.

Proving that the BBS is not the only place to find true Palace fans.

RDSdaEAGLE
14-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
:D

Thanks Ben for getting us a transfer fee for Tom Soares and for turning round our season;)

Or how about...

"Thanks Ben Watson for turning Glaziers Fan into an obsessive, stalker-like freak who spends morning, noon and night thinking of your amazing tackle, stunning red hair and beautiful long balls."

I think that suits the thread better ;) :)

etu
14-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Or how about...

"Thanks Ben Watson for turning Glaziers Fan into an obsessive, stalker-like freak who spends morning, noon and night thinking of your amazing tackle, stunning red hair and beautiful long balls."

:o :p

budgie
14-09-2008, 05:55 PM

If Soares is worh 1.5 million then I suggest ben is worth 3.

If thats the case, then why is he still at the club?

The only team interested enough to make a bid were Forest, and it certainly wasn't £3 million, allegedly QPR are interested, but only if its for a pittance, and perhaps they won't be interested if it goes to a tribunal, as they may be forced to pay more they want.

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and it seems no one was willing to pay anything like your value.

sydnsteve
15-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Or how about...

I think that is very, very unfair on obsessive stalker-like freaks.

the digger
15-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I think the major issue in the Watson transfer is the combination of what we think Watson is worth, and what he wants to earn. 5,000 a week over a 4 year contract is a million quid, so if a club can save that on the transfer fee, they can afford to pay him it in wages...

Billy Rhino
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Tom who?

palace_burger
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by budgie
If thats the case, then why is he still at the club?

The only team interested enough to make a bid were Forest, and it certainly wasn't £3 million, allegedly QPR are interested, but only if its for a pittance, and perhaps they won't be interested if it goes to a tribunal, as they may be forced to pay more they want.

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and it seems no one was willing to pay anything like your value.

Value it determined by

1. Skill / talent of the player
2. The length of his contract remaining

Shipp Ahoy!
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
So how has Tom been doing for Stoke has he even played yet?

Barbara4003
04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
So how has Tom been doing for Stoke has he even played yet?

He's injured. He was injured when he left Palace. He'd been playing with an injury before he left Palace.

Paul Romain
04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
He's injured. He was injured when he left Palace. He'd been playing with an injury before he left Palace.

No he's not and no he wasn't. Pulis said he was available for selection the first game that he was there. He didnt get in the squad. He has just made the subs bench.

Barbara4003
04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Paul Romain
No he's not and no he wasn't. Pulis said he was available for selection the first game that he was there. He didnt get in the squad. He has just made the subs bench.

If you say so. I know differently.

Paul Romain
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM

whatever

Paul Romain
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM

you obviously know different to his manager as well - maybe you should give Tony Pulis a call and put him right.

Or perhaps its just that you cant accept that your hero hasnt waltzed straight into the Premiership side the way you expected him to??

Barbara4003
04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Paul Romain
you obviously know different to his manager as well - maybe you should give Tony Pulis a call and put him right.

Or perhaps its just that you cant accept that your hero hasnt waltzed straight into the Premiership side the way you expected him to??

Perhaps I will do that - give ol' Tony a ring and sort it out for him :D

I never thought for one minute that Tom would waltz straight into a Premiership side and I don't believe I ever stated it.

Whether you want to believe it or not, he is suffering a recurring thigh injury that he was playing with injections on whilst at Palace. The injury hasn't totally cleared up, but is getting there.

I'll pass your good wishes on to Tom :)

pedro
04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
He played for the reserves mid week.