PDA

View Full Version : Captain and team morale

Owngoal
03-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Two interviews by Derry about performances (probably one interview taken from two angles). One alienates the youngsters, the other the defence. No mention of his own performances which have been a contributory factor in not protecting the back four. Time for change if he cannot lead by example, before we go into the same kind of decline as under Taylor.

Croydon Today
Eagles skipper Shaun Derry has told the club’s talented youngsters to stand up and be counted after a disappointing start to the season.
The likes of Victor Moses, Sean Scannell and Lee Hills have failed to hit the heights of last season’s impressive displays which helped propel them to national prominence.
And former Leeds midfielder Derry has challenged his side’s teenage sensations to replicate their superb performances from last-term to help Palace drag themselves out of their early-season slump.
“We all have to face up to the fact that we are a squad - no matter what age we are.
"People have got to grow up because it’s a tough world out there. We can’t be making excuses for ages any more.
"If you’re good enough you’re old enough, as the old saying goes."

Holmesdale online
Skipper Shaun Derry has ordered Crystal Palace's leaky defence to tighten up.

The Eagles lie third bottom in the fledgeling Championship table with two draws and two defeats from the opening four games.

After shipping four goals in the last two matches, Derry has challenged his team-mates to buck up.

He said: “You’ve got to look at the results we’ve had in the last two games and we’ve got to stop that and make sure that never happens again.

“We’re a nice bunch of lads and that really hurts and I’m sure that we’ll all have a word with ourselves and work on the weaknesses.

“If you don’t defend properly, and that’s not just the back lads I’m on about it’s about the 11 that’s out there, you are going to have trouble.”

:hmph:

RDSdaEAGLE
03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
:S:

Stockport_Eagle
03-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a rallying cry from the captain to me?

Nelson Muntz
03-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Along with Lawrence he's the one who needs to stand up and be counted.

Daveyboyross
03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Comes across as an attempt to gee the team up rather than alienate anyone. All he seems to be saying is we need to buck our ideas up. Which is true!

etu
03-09-2008, 04:20 PM
All of its true.

Although he needs to up his performance as much as anyone.

PeterH
03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
The youngsters have been injured, so not exactly fair comment.

His stupid sending off perhaps suggests that he may have been best served putting his brain in gear on two occasions. One before the sending off, and two before penning that piece.

RDSdaEAGLE
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Owngoal, you seem to have an anti-Derry agenda at the moment. This is the second thread you've started in recent weeks slating Derry's captain credentials.

David Amsalem
03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Derry has been absolutely woeful this season.

Before anybody accuses me of being negative etc, it's just my opinion.

I like Derry and think he is an important player but it is pretty rich of him to talk how he did in that first interview.

At least this season we've seen the young players give it a go.

Derry has looked unfit and sluggest and hardly was the perfect role model when he got sent off for a stupid challenge at home to Burnley.

He'll come good hopefully but that interview stinks.

Owngoal
03-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Derry has been his own worst enemy RDS. He was one of the players of the season last year and the difference has been since he got the armband. If you lead by example you have the right to critisise. Certainly in his position he should be leading on the field. Moses, Scannell and Hills have all been injured and having their mates say to them that their captain says'they need to stand up and be counted' will do nothing for their or the teams morale. I truly hope that Derry will have the game of his life against Swansea. I didn't like a couple of the things I saw with Victor back end of last year, where Clinton was being the father figure but Derry the 'bully dad' (when Victor was falling over a little too easily). Hopefully Warnock will knock a few heads together, play Fonte with McCarthy and the leaking ship will be sealed....

cpfcben
03-09-2008, 04:49 PM
What a bizarre thread. His comments seem perfectly sensible to me.

glaziers fan
03-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Neil Warnock has said it is the older, experienced players that have let the club down. Step forward Shaun Derry.

The defence is leaky because it is not being protected. Step forward Sean Derry.

Anyway, one experienced player he's probably missed alongside him, who actually helps out with the defensive stuff, is Ben Watson.

No excuses from now on. Shaun, you are going to have to up your performances though. You are captain playing in probably THE most influential position as well. You can drive the team to success:p

Godstone Eagle
03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Neil Warnock has said it is the older, experienced players that have let the club down. Step forward Sean Derry.

The defence is leaky because it is not being protected. Step forward Sean Derry.

Anyway, one experienced player he's probably missed alongside him, who actually helps out with the defensive stuff, is Ben Watson.

No excuses from now on. Sean, you are going to have to up your performances though. You are captain playing in probably THE most influential position as well. You can drive the team to success:p

You can at least get his name right

Nelson Muntz
03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Ben Watson FFS give it a rest.

ardeo
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Second article about defending seems to be about the team in general and not just the defender. First article does seem to be more negative about the kids which is unfair as none of them have played more than a couple of games this season in the league (i think).

Having Ben Watson in the side will allow Derry to drop a bit deeper, as Ben will sit in the middle and spray the passes, as opposed to at reading where it was Derry, who was then caught away from his protector of back 4 duties!

Owngoal
04-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Too right ardeo, Ben at his best will allow Derry to concentrate on protecting the back 4 - its the youngsters I was dismayed about, all been injured and don't need pressure from their captain.

David of Kent
04-09-2008, 09:24 AM
He says "we" in his comments about the defending.

I think it's safe to say he's including himself in the statement about our defending.

And he's right, the young players haven't impressed so far this season, albeit some down to injury knocks

Fat Andy
04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Jeez, talk about putting a negative spin on things ! We really have some whinging fans at the moment..

He's doing what any captain should be doing, trying to get the team up for the next match, nothing wrong with that. And you can't argue that the youngsters have to step up and prove the hype correct, and our defense has been shocking, and it is down to the entire team.

Bizarre thread.

Al From Bromley
04-09-2008, 09:30 AM
"we’ve got to stop that and make sure that never happens again. We’re a nice bunch of lads and that really hurts and I’m sure that we’ll all have a word with ourselves and work on the weaknesses. If you don’t defend properly, and that’s not just the back lads I’m on about it’s about the 11 that’s out there, you are going to have trouble.”

Sounds fairly self-critical to me. To those slagging him off, you're gimps :)

Barbara4003
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
FFS give it a rest.

Hear hear.

GF, can you actually make a post without mentioning Watsons name? I am seriously getting a bit worried now about you and I think someone should warn Watson.

You had better start letting go of this adoration you seem to hold for him because he will be fecking off in January and you will be overcome with grief. I would consider putting you on suicide watch when that time comes.

Beanie
04-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Derry obviously said more than this when speaking to the press, what we get is the slant the press want to give us, they even miss odd words out to change the meaning if it produces a better or more dramatic story. At the moment they want to repeort doom and gloom, so they will, whatever was actually said. This could have been the most fantastic positve and upbeat interview, but if it doesn't suit we won't get it. They don't invent stuff, but careful editing "for clarity" is a marvelous tool. No doubt Derry said every word - but the question would be in what order, and what got missed out.

ZOHAR
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Derry: We have mental strength

CRYSTAL Palace skipper Shaun Derry says the Eagles have the mental strength to bounce back from their disappointing start to the campaign.

And the midfielder, currently in his second spell at Selhurst Park, says the squad must consign their opening four matches to history - because their season starts now.

Derry was buoyed by his side’s performance against Reading on Saturday, despite going down 4-2 at the Madejski Stadium.

“I know it was our fourth game of the campaign, but I thought it was Saturday’s game where we really started our season,” said Derry.

“There were a lot of positives to take from that game. If you ask the Reading lads, I’m sure they’d tell you they came up against a very good Palace side.

“But goals change games and if you don’t defend properly, you’ll get punished. That’s the fault of all 11 players.

“When you look at our 4-0 defeat at Leeds the week before and the fact we didn’t get anything out of the game, people were on a real downer.

“But on Saturday we played against a team who have just come down from the Premier League and, they might argue the point, but I’d say for 60 per cent of the game we played the better stuff. But that just goes to show the importance of defending well as a team.

“You can’t hide the fact we’ve conceded eight goals in two games and you’ve got to look at our results. But we have to stop that and make sure that doesn’t happen again."

For the full story and all the latest Palace news, see Friday's South London Press.

cpfc_tommy12
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
He's Just trying to rally the team up. He's not picking on individuals and he doesn't need to tell the press he needs to buck up his performance too because he probably already knows that and he can just tell himself he needs to pick up his performance.

Freddy Kurz
04-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
Along with Lawrence he's the one who needs to stand up and be counted.

Please get off their backs and get behind the whole squad. This
is the time for unity not carping. Professionals like Derry and
Lawrence will fully understand their own recent deficiencies &
will be well aware of what they need to do to improve

Celestial Empire
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I can never understand the point of this sort of interview.
The fandom are well aware of the situation - just read the comments on here, and a "rallying cry" to the squad, is much better done close up and personal in the changing room, naming names if needed.
Not to mention that actions speak much louder than words Cap'n Derry.
:confused:

glaziers fan
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Godstone Eagle
You can at least get his name right

Edited:p

glaziers fan
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ardeo
Second article about defending seems to be about the team in general and not just the defender. First article does seem to be more negative about the kids which is unfair as none of them have played more than a couple of games this season in the league (i think).

Having Ben Watson in the side will allow Derry to drop a bit deeper, as Ben will sit in the middle and spray the passes, as opposed to at reading where it was Derry, who was then caught away from his protector of back 4 duties!

Listen to nelson, we're not allowed to mention B*n W**son:confused: ;)

glaziers fan
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
Hear hear.

GF, can you actually make a post without mentioning Watsons name? I am seriously getting a bit worried now about you and I think someone should warn Watson.

You had better start letting go of this adoration you seem to hold for him because he will be fecking off in January and you will be overcome with grief. I would consider putting you on suicide watch when that time comes.

When it's a point about the midfield and how we were losing the battle without Ben in the team (IMHO) then it is relevant to the thread.

I think Scannell back will help as well :p There you go, another name haha.

Btw what makes u so sure Ben will go in Jan? Clubs have had 4 transfer windows to sign him and none have managed it. It's patently obvious he wants to run his contract down and from past experience I don't see SJ letting him go on the cheap, especially if we are in play-off contention. Then if we reach the end of the season, clubs might want to wait a year rather than paying compensation? Remember Julian Gray? And he's now had 2 separate stints in the premier league so it's not at though he's a lesser standard of player really.

Anyway, let's get quickly back on topic, otherwise Nelson Muntz, a member of the thought police, will be back on my case;)

Palace Bear
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Owngoal

“If you don’t defend properly, and that’s not just the back lads I’m on about it’s about the 11 that’s out there, you are going to have trouble.”

:hmph:

Doesn't sound like he's alienating single groups to me, having said that, he wouldn't have been my choice for captain, and on current form I wouldn't start him.
As i say though you can't acus him of singling out individual parts of the team when he's clearly trying to ralley the troops.

Nelson Muntz
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Anyway, let's get quickly back on topic, otherwise Nelson Muntz, a member of the thought police, will be back on my case;)
You really need to free yourself from Watson's arse mate. You have hijacked pretty much every thread with your Watson rants. There's enough threads about him, why don't you stick to them.

thereichstuff
05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
As team captain isnt he supposed to gee up the other players , he isnt naming names . Shaun hasnt started that well and im sure he is very aware of this , he will respond in the right manor . As usual this thread is a excuse to spead pessimistic views and make up something which isnt there . What is it with alot of posters on here , 4 games in and theres talk of relegation , addministration and goodness knows what else get a life FFS . Untill any of these happen i will sit in ignorant bliss with my rose tinted glasses on and not worry ( before any smart arse accuses me of it ) . Cast back to last season and the football being served up before neil came enough said !