PDA

View Full Version : Rhoys Wiggins

Jim Cannons Moustache
04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Seems to me he is destined not to get his chance here at Palace.
Warnock rates Hills above him and he hasn't even featured near the first team squad even for the Carling Cup matches (with 7 subs named)

From the (very) little I've seen of him he has a bit of class about him which would maybe allow him to raise his game to the higher level if he was ever given the opportunity. It would be a pity if he finished his contract (only runs till January) without ever getting a first team game, which seems is destined to happen.

Come on Neil, give Rhoys a chance :(

TurkeyTwizzler
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought after one training session after he came back, he got a contract extension?

Owngoal
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Not really seen him play since the bad knee injury, got picked for Wales U21 recently but has not forced his way into the full Wales squad even with their injuries. Sadly sounds as if the injury has impacted on a player who could have been a first choice back. Will watch out for him in our next reserve game at Bromley (Gillingham on 17th Sept)

Jim Cannons Moustache
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TurkeyTwizzler
I thought after one training session after he came back, he got a contract extension?

Think it was only 6 months, an extended trial if you like!

stand to be corrected if thats not the case.

ardeo
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Well Hills isn't getting in ahead of Hill atm who seems to be first choice, when results and confidence start to pick up I'd be surprised if we didn't see a more attacking left back in Hills or Wiggins come more into the fray.

David of Kent
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Personally I thought he looked good in pre-season up to the Leicester game which was a big step up from some of the others in pre-season. He looked out of his depth in that 2nd half appearance against Leciester getting fleeced time and time again.

This is not to say that he has no hope, he's still a promising player, but he is one coming back from nearly 2 years of injuries and that appearance told me he wasn't yet ready to step up from youth to 1st team football after a near 2 year break.

NW has done the right thing, he's extended his deal and now the young man will have a chance to get fully match fit and impress again at some stage (hopefully).

Also, I don't think bringing him into a team that has started poorly this season would help him.

Neil the Eagle
04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Rhoys was away with Wales for the first League Cup game and Neil Warnock had already indicated he wanted to play a decent strength side.

Similar to James Dayton, I would think a spell out on loan will be his next move.

eagleforlife
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache
Think it was only 6 months, an extended trial if you like!

stand to be corrected if thats not the case.

His contract is until next summer not January.

Dan 05
20-09-2008, 06:18 PM
He is a fantastic player.

He can tackle, head, attack, and has a great cross. He is aggresive and has much more pace that Hill.

I've said it for so many weeks now that i think he should be in the team. He's already been on the bench for Wales.

COME ON NEIL, AT LEAST GIVE HIM A CHANCE.

glaziers fan
20-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I am not taking anything away from Hills or Wiggins. They are our left backs of the future. But for now I can see that NW wants to play with Hill there. I can see why.

Hill is very solid defensively. Much more so than Hills and Wiggins.

AND

Hill is a good attacking threat for set-pieces. Carle thinks we have the best set-piece taker in the division. Well, we should play him then shouldn't we?

Keep it tight, and nick the odd goal at a set piece and we're halfway there. It doesn't sound pretty but it's effective.

philsick
20-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
I am not taking anything away from Hills or Wiggins. They are our left backs of the future. But for now I can see that NW wants to play with Hill there. I can see why.

Hill is very solid defensively. Much more so than Hills and Wiggins.

AND

Hill is a good attacking threat for set-pieces. Carle thinks we have the best set-piece taker in the division. Well, we should play him then shouldn't we?

Keep it tight, and nick the odd goal at a set piece and we're halfway there. It doesn't sound pretty but it's effective.

Hill is league one standard,hills and wiggins are under 21 internationals,with attacking flair and bags of potential.But hill is a player in the warnock mould so he will keep his place.I would imagine hill does about half the mileage of the others during a match.The odd crunching tackle doesn't blind everybody.

Dan 05
20-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Why not move Hill over to centre-back then? He gives nothing going forward.

philsick
20-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Dan 05
Why not move Hill over to centre-back then? He gives nothing going forward.

Where you at reading?Played cb 2nd half. awful

Mccarthy and fonte should be cb's imo.

Dan 05
20-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by philsick
Where you at reading?Played cb 2nd half. awful

Mccarthy and fonte should be cb's imo.
No i wasn't at the Reading game, but does less that 45 minutes really give you a great idea on a player who hasn't played in that position for over a year?

1. I said move him to centre-back because the other guy said he thought he was dangerous at set-plays.
2. I have yet to be convinced by McCarthy.
3. With the team playing as it currently is, i think his aggresion could still be helpful.

glaziers fan
20-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by philsick
Hill is league one standard,hills and wiggins are under 21 internationals,with attacking flair and bags of potential.But hill is a player in the warnock mould so he will keep his place.I would imagine hill does about half the mileage of the others during a match.The odd crunching tackle doesn't blind everybody.

He's rarely at fault for goals we concede and so he must be doing something right. Plus his additional aerial strength (along with centre-backs and centre forward) is even more important now with BW back taking the set-pieces.

glaziers fan
20-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Dan 05
No i wasn't at the Reading game, but does less that 45 minutes really give you a great idea on a player who hasn't played in that position for over a year?

1. I said move him to centre-back because the other guy said he thought he was dangerous at set-plays.
2. I have yet to be convinced by McCarthy.
3. With the team playing as it currently is, i think his aggresion could still be helpful.

We need aerial strength of Fonte and McCarthy too. Hill needs to be a 'bonus' at set-plays.

ThisIsDoM
20-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Personally I think Hill is a fantastic player, he gives 100% every tiem and is definately worthy of his place in the team. I would like to see Wiggins and Hills get their chances but I cant see them getting past Hill.

jobiinthelastmi
20-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Its Lawrence, he's an old mule.

Hill needs to play centre back, Hills and Wiggins can't play every game.

AJ
20-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Wiggins has been out for 2 seasons and he has a lot of ground to make up. He may well force his way into the team later in the season, but, needs to get a number of games under his belt first.
I don't know why NW doesn't try 3-5-2 as Hill doesn't attack down the left and Hill-Fonte-McCarthy would(on paper) seem quite strong as a back 3. Then Hills/Wiggins could play as the attacking FB on the left.