PDA

View Full Version : Jordan on sale

Il Padrino
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
from croydon ad

Crystal Palace supremo Simon Jordan has revealed the crippling credit crunch could delay his plans to sell the club before the end of the season.

In an exclusive interview with the Advertiser, Jordan reiterated his desire to sell the club and revealed if possible would like to have found a buyer before the end of the season.

But the multi-millionaire businessman has also revealed that his hopes to sell before the end of the current campaign may be hit by the well-documented credit crunch.

Jordan told the Advertiser: "I'm still very much looking to sell the club – even maybe before the end of the season.

"But ultimately, can that be achieved in the current climate? I'm not sure."

To read the exclusive interview with the Palace chairman, including more on his plans to sell Crystal Palace and his glowing appraisal of departed legend Dougie Freedman, see tomorrow's Advertiser.

NorwoodPride
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
He's changed his mind ;)

Tele Caster
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
The terrible state of limbo that will lead to our relegation looks certain to continue then. :confused:

EdMan
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
he's not really going about all this too well is he. the more uncertainty he generates, the worse we'll do and the less appealing its gonna be for a buyer.

GDP
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Tele Caster
The terrible state of limbo that will lead to our relegation looks certain to continue then. :confused:

No chance of us being relegated.

GreatGonzo
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by GDP

Bottom 3, scored once from open play in 4 league games and have sold that goalscorer.

Unlikely maybe, no chance though is a bad assumption.

scro
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Surely to sell something you have to have someone willing to buy. I cannot imagine anyone will be paying any money for Crystal Palace so unless he wants to give it away he will be chairman for sometime yet.

Gollum
04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Sadly, his first announcement was a knee-jerk reaction to events of the time.
Sales of this magnitude really need to be handled more subtly, involving discreet third parties and utilising neutral brokers etc.
He might strike lucky from the public declarations but really his best hope of a decent sale is getting promotion first.

New LP
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
Sadly, his first announcement was a knee-jerk reaction to events of the time.
Sales of this magnitude really need to be handled more subtly, involving discreet third parties and utilising neutral brokers etc.
He might strike lucky from the public declarations but really his best hope of a decent sale is getting promotion first.

The first bit I don't agree with. Jordan has wanted out for ages, I can remember him doing an interview with the Sunday Mirror saying he wanted to sell up after we'd just got promoted to the Premiership. I think he using the Bostock thing in order to justify a decision that he came to a long time ago and it means that he can leave football on moral grounds.

I do agree with the 2nd part though. If he wanted to sell he didn't need to do it in this way. Some discression would of been good. By doing it this way he makes the club publically look like damaged goods, a rudderless ship, which is not helpful in many ways. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Madjeski wants out at Reading, yet you don't see him making big public statements etc.

Gollum
04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by New LP
The first bit I don't agree with. Jordan has wanted out for ages, I can remember him doing an interview with the Sunday Mirror saying he wanted to sell up after we'd just got promoted to the Premiership. I think he using the Bostock thing in order to justify a decision that he came to a long time ago and it means that he can leave football on moral grounds.

I do agree with the 2nd part though. If he wanted to sell he didn't need to do it in this way. Some discression would of been good. By doing it this way he makes the club publically look like damaged goods, a rudderless ship, which is not helpful in many ways. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Madjeski wants out at Reading, yet you don't see him making big public statements etc.

Yes, fair point. I meant that the manner of the announcement came over as a knee-jerk to the Bostock thing. Not the most business-like approach. I know that he's been looking to go for more than 5 years, and to be fair, he may well have been trying to sell through more conventional methods during that time.

cdm61
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
If no one wants to buy Everton, allegedly, then why buy Palace?

The uncertainty around the club is and will impact on the team performance.

I don't understand why he went public with it - why didn't he just keep it to the management team? He looks and sounds like a desperate man, with an albatross round his neck.

For those of you old enough to remember and those too young this is a Monty Python Sketch

Salesman: (shouting) Albatross....albatross....albatross....
albatross....albatross...albatross....albatross... .albatross
Man: Two good humors please.
S: I haven't got any good humors, I've just got this bloody
albatross....(shouts) Albatross
M: What flavor is it?
S: It's a bird mate, it's a bloody bird, it's not any bloody
flavor....(shouts) Albatross
M: It's got to be some flavor, I mean everything's got a flavor.
S: All right, it's blood albatross flavor, it's bloody sea bloody bird
bloody flavor....(shouts) Albatross
M: Do you get wafers with it?
S: Course you don't get bloody wafers with it, it's a bloody albatross
isn't it...(shouts) Albatross
M: I'll have two please.
S: I've only got one you cocksucker....(shouts) Albatross....albatross....
albatross....albatross

transworld
04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Euro millions jackpot is 92million this week, that could come in handy and still leave you with enough for yourself :p

LeeH
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I disagree with the 'getting promotion is the best option of finding a buyer' train of thought

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that there were a number of big businesses (I think it talked about mainly US based firms) that were looking for a cheap way to get a foot into the Premiership by looking at Championship clubs, i.e. buy a club for a small sum compared to the amount they would spend on a Premiership one, spend big to become 'the muscle' in the division and gain promotion that way.

Not the best scenario in terms of longevity for Palace in the boardroom, especially if the usual rollercoater occurs and we dip out of the top flight after a season, but I could see it happening.

New LP
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Why would anyone buy Palace?

We don't own our own ground and even if we did the exisiting site is flawed in terms of redevelopment and it would be very difficult to secure a new site elsewhere. Also there surely isn't great potential in the site which is in an unfashionable run down part of London.

Gates are low and our fanbase is shrinking thanks to booming Premiership clubs within an hour of our ground.

The squad is mediocre.

The club is losing money.

Not meaning to be overly negative but lets face facts. If Madjeski is failing to sell Reading a club with all the infastructure we lack in place, what hope is there for us?

ReadingPalace
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
New LP, I don't disagree with you, but surely you could have said the same about QPR, and someone bought them, didn't they?

telodaja
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Whilst not wanting to be a real harbinger of doom. I assume as CPFC is a limited company, if he cannot find a buyer he could simply close the business.

Justin
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by telodaja
Whilst not wanting to be a real harbinger of doom. I assume as CPFC is a limited company, if he cannot find a buyer he could simply close the business.

Others better qualified than me can clarify (but at the last date it was possible to know with certainty) he had personal guarantees of approx £8m. So if we were to close he would still be liable for that amount. I can't believe we or he are less less in debt now.

New LP
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ReadingPalace
New LP, I don't disagree with you, but surely you could have said the same about QPR, and someone bought them, didn't they?

QPR own their own ground and in a more fashionable area which is ripe for development.

AJ
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
With all these billionaires coming in for Premiership teams, I am surprised that we haven't see more of the millionaire ex-Premiership owners aren't investing their money in teams in lower leagues.

GreatGonzo
04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe they see the way football is heading and want out.

stevek
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by AJ
With all these billionaires coming in for Premiership teams, I am surprised that we haven't see more of the millionaire ex-Premiership owners aren't investing their money in teams in lower leagues. Which, of course (for a short time and to a limited degree) sort of what Noades did after selling Palace.

Bank Rupt
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by AJ
With all these billionaires coming in for Premiership teams, I am surprised that we haven't see more of the millionaire ex-Premiership owners aren't investing their money in teams in lower leagues.

Some of them already have - Bates at Leeds, Adam Pearson at Derby and Ridsdale at Cardiff (though he wasn't the owner at Leeds of course and he only owns 10% of Cardiff). I suspect that it's more a case of once bitten, twice shy.

Beckenham Boy
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
And the fact that many of the old school owners as we knew them were also fans of the club. These days it is corporations who see clubs as an investment.

Anyway, I have 2 tickets in the £92 Euromillion rollover draw on Fri night so you never know...

New LP
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
There just isn't the money at our level to offer any insentive to these people to invest in Championship football.

PeterH
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
He has been trying to sell for years. The credit crunch didn´t stop the Arabs buying Man City, the other magnates buying QPR etc. etc..

Realistically, Jordon has a product that people are not interested in buying. I would be surprised if he could give it away. And if he did, I would be worried that the purchaser was only going to asset strip by selling the players.

sw16girl
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Justin
Others better qualified than me can clarify (but at the last date it was possible to know with certainty) he had personal guarantees of approx £8m. So if we were to close he would still be liable for that amount. I can't believe we or he are less less in debt now.

You are right. He is liable for whatever the OD with the Bank is (which may be more or less than the £8m now as we do not know what money has been put in by Agilo). He is not personally liable under the Lease or under the Mortgage to Agilo however.

Celestial Empire
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
What a berk our SJ is, next he'll be advertising in Exchange and Mart.:rolleyes: He can't decide whether he wants to be a serious guy or a C list celeb.
I wish he would just get himself some decent help and go to the Gulf and the US to look for investors, or hire a boutique investment bank, whatever (or maybe AGILO advised him to come out with this ?)
But I guess that with the Spanish economy falling off a cliff, he just feels he has to mind his (other) shops.
Every time he comes out with this stuff, he makes NW's job that bit harder. :bash:

Always an Eagle
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by sw16girl
You are right. He is liable for whatever the OD with the Bank is (which may be more or less than the £8m now as we do not know what money has been put in by Agilo). He is not personally liable under the Lease or under the Mortgage to Agilo however.

So realistically he wants someone to pay him (or his holding co) for his shares in the Ltd Co & either pay off the OD or take over the guarantees?

& the pop quiz Q is how much he wants !

So thats going to be his minimum requirements & I guess the problem could come when nothing is happening on the sale front, & looking ahead the potential losses & debt could increase where he just doesn't want to or can't put any more money or gurantees in.

He's trapped btween a rock & hard place, money in & potential promotion & his mind a more viable "product" to sell or selling players, minimal if any purchases & balancing the books, which long term is where we are going to end up if we don't get a buyer soon. Reality pills all round then.

p.s I'll be interested to see if the "interview" or "article" mentions agilo.

Adlerhorst
04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Always an Eagle
So realistically he wants someone to pay him (or his holding co) for his shares in the Ltd Co & either pay off the OD or take over the guarantees?

& the pop quiz Q is how much he wants !

So thats going to be his minimum requirements & I guess the problem could come when nothing is happening on the sale front, & looking ahead the potential losses & debt could increase where he just doesn't want to or can't put any more money or gurantees in.

He's trapped btween a rock & hard place, money in & potential promotion & his mind a more viable "product" to sell or selling players, minimal if any purchases & balancing the books, which long term is where we are going to end up if we don't get a buyer soon. Reality pills all round then.

p.s I'll be interested to see if the "interview" or "article" mentions agilo. The pop quiz is not so much what he wants, but what he is selling. If he is selling the shares in the company that owns the club as it stands and passing the guaranteed debt onto the new owners he'll be luck to get nil for it.

If he is selling the shares in the company with the company's debt paid off and with the company owning the ground (i.e. some option the ground, if it exists, having been exercised), i would imagine he'd want circa £50m for the club.

At a guess.

Always an Eagle
04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst
The pop quiz is not so much what he wants, but what he is selling. If he is selling the shares in the company that owns the club as it stands and passing the guaranteed debt onto the new owners he'll be luck to get nil for it.

If he is selling the shares in the company with the company's debt paid off and with the company owning the ground (i.e. some option the ground, if it exists, having been exercised), i would imagine he'd want circa £50m for the club.

At a guess.

Well on the face of it & via our Comp Hse experts all he currently can sell is the shares with an option on the ground so whats a name & some promising kids worth?

Lost in Kent
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Totally agree. I'm amazed that more people are'nt bothered by this, we are certs for relegation.

Harry Holmesdale
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Why he keeps banging on about selling CPFC I don't know

How much would you pay for a name, some average players and a lot of debt ?

Always an Eagle
04-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale

How much would you pay for a name, some average players and a lot of debt ?

Yeah but generally people in our (the real) world & people in the football industry world are galaxies apart

pistol
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes, but this is palace,nothing is as it seems, who knows where we end up, playoffs or relegation! but what i do know is that we have the manager who will do his best for club.so lets all keep the faith

ardley24
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
trust me when i say this is complete rubbish. he has a buyer!!

Chobham Eagle
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale

I guess it's just another way of keeping his name in the papers.

He said he wanted to sell in May 2004 and he's still here. I wish he'd keep quite and get it sorted. All this uncertainty is doing nothing to help the team. Let's hope what may be his last season isn't as bad as his first.

elgin eagle
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
perhaps we could buy the frrehold together. 20000 people pay 500 quid each = 10 million. Maybe throw a season ticket into the seal as a sweetener. With our combined contacts we could fix the place right up.

Sick Bucket
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ardley24
trust me when i say this is complete rubbish. he has a buyer!!

I'm not convinced

ardley24
04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
I'm not convinced

i know for a fact he is in talks with someone. the only stumbling block is how much this guy wants to pay for palace

the buyer an mr jordan have a very difrent view of how much to pay for the club

Justy C
04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Do you know who the potential buyer is?

And if so, do you think they would be good for us?

ardley24
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
i dont personally know them. from same area as the new man city owners. just not as rich
yeah i reckon hed be alright for us

Chris K
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I think i've found us a buyer.... link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett)

Justy C
04-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Aha! So they are male...that narrows it down. Hmmm...wonder who it is...?

Sick Bucket
04-09-2008, 09:47 PM

the buyer an mr jordan have a very difrent view of how much to pay for the club

So in other words they're miles apart.

Ian of Chatham
04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Well a certain Mr Michael Ashley could be looking for a new club to buy soon...

sw16girl
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
i dont personally know them. from same area as the new man city owners. just not as rich

You sir are talking out of your arse!

bgh2172
04-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Lost in Kent
Totally agree. I'm amazed that more people are'nt bothered by this, we are certs for relegation.

It seems so many are in touch here without giving much away, but as an outsider to the BBS, the way I see it is we're in the deep S.H one T!

I don't give a rats arse about the flakey bits. Someone stand up and let us know where we really frickin' stand?!

We are now nothing more than a Crewe like club that's a feeder channel for youth products to the higher levels of football.

Please SJ sell us to a substantial investor and you can then continue your financial ventures into film and Hollywood!

Who knows maybe I'll benefit from both perspectives!?!

RDSdaEAGLE
05-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I just wish SJ would keep his mouth shut sometimes.

bgh2172
05-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I just wish SJ would keep his mouth shut sometimes.

Not sure what you're doing state side, but from what I've gleaned SJ and Nick M have linked up and by all involved that's where his heart lies now!

sw16girl
05-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by bgh2172
Not sure what you're doing state side, but from what I've gleaned SJ and Nick M have linked up and by all involved that's where his heart lies now!

The problem is there ain't no money in it - see the current film position - it is vanity spending - and it is producing nothing.

bgh2172
05-09-2008, 12:49 AM
The problem is there ain't no money in it - see the current film position - it is vanity spending - and it is producing nothing.

For sure, you're preaching to the converted SW! Still I'm living the dream in belief I have something to offer, be it right, or wrong, it's all subjective views at the end of the day! :p

Reps AJ
05-09-2008, 06:01 AM

Is it Gaddafi again? :eek:

LeeH
05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
from same area as the new man city owners
This person, perhaps? (http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/abu-gabby.html)
:o

TheCharmer
05-09-2008, 09:39 AM
the middle east is a pretty big area. And if he s haggling about the price, i suggest he s not in the same financial league as the guy at Man City.

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by GDP

The words, 'fate' and 'tempting' come to mind there.

celery stick
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Why would anyone buy Palace?

Its in London.

celery stick
05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
Is it Gaddafi again? :eek:

:D

celery stick
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
What a berk our SJ is, next he'll be advertising in Exchange and Mart.

Worth a try.

KungFuCharlie
05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Chris K
I think i've found us a buyer.... link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett)

Buffett is an reknowned miser. He'd rely on the academy, then sell all the best prospects as soon as their valued matured.

Back to the good old Noades days then.

We need someone who is rich, but only by chance. Someone who was jammy enough to be in the right place at the right time, but isn't actually an astute business man. We need someone passionate about Palace - probably a local lad. Someone who'll try to hold onto home-grown talent, and with enough cash to keep the place afloat while we wait for a return to the Premiership.

In short, we need Jordan, but 5 years ago. Again.

Strathclyde Eagle
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie
We need someone who is rich, but only by chance. Someone who was jammy enough to be in the right place at the right time, but isn't actually an astute business man.
I was getting horrible flashbacks to Mark Goldberg for a minute there.

celery stick
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
The words, 'fate' and 'tempting' come to mind there.

Indeed, ''too good to go down'' is often used by fans of a sinking club, and by punters.

Nottingham Forest were ''too good to go down'' from the top flight.
A few years later they were in division three.

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by celery stick
Indeed, ''too good to go down'' is often used by fans of a sinking club, and by punters.

Nottingham Forest were ''too good to go down'' from the top flight.
A few years later they were in division three.

For various reasons it's happened to Man City, Leeds and Forest, as stated by CS. I think the arrogance of some of their fans maybe justified their relegation, hence, I don't think anyone at Palace shouldn't think that we aren't capable of imploding and getting sucked into the fabulously named, League One.

Especially if some of the more reliably informed members of the BBS are to be believed, when they state Warnock might have had enough of the role already.

stevek
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
We were 'too good' to go down in 1993 too. Didn't save us then, either.

celery stick
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Sheffield Wednesday is another club we can add to that list.
There they were, midtable in the Premier League and playing in two finals in a year, next thing they know they're in division three.

James
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
There is a difference between saying that a Club 'is too big to go down' and 'is too good to go down'.

Of course we are not too big to go down - and we very nearly did when Smith was in charge. Thankfully Steve Kember and Freedman came to the rescue at the 11th hour.

However, we are definitely too good to go down this year. Our present position does not properly reflect the performances to date, and I have absolutely no doubt that we will finish in or near the promotion places by next May. Relegation isn't even a remote possibility.

Given Palace's past history (where we typically start slowly) I am amazed at some of the pessimism on here at the moment.

stupalace
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
There is always one club that has appeared in the play offs that struggles the next season .

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by James
Given Palace's past history (where we typically start slowly) I am amazed at some of the pessimism on here at the moment.

I think much of the pessimism could well be fuelled by some of the players we have seen exit over the summer and before the transfer window shut.

Palace 'heroes/legends/characters' Dougie Freedman and Clinton Morrison leaving would have certainly make some fans think about where Mr Warnock was taking the team this season.

Due to some of the replacements brought in, it doesn't fill that many fans, myself included, with the enthusiasm that Dougie or Clinton might. Two lower league strikers and a journeyman, might not signal to many at Selhurst that we are moving in the right direction. The direction, as you noted, being promotion...or at least a sniff of it.

Coupled with the fact we have Ben Watson, Carl Fletcher, Paul Ifill and James Scowcroft who have been on the transfer list but still remain at the club; I can't see morale within the team being very high, let alone on the stands.

But, we are Palace, and we'll get through it. Although thinking we are too good to go down is a tad too 'West Ham' for my liking....

stevek
05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
There is a difference between saying that a Club 'is too big to go down' and 'is too good to go down'.

Of course we are not too big to go down - and we very nearly did when Smith was in charge. Thankfully Steve Kember and Freedman came to the rescue at the 11th hour.

However, we are definitely too good to go down this year. Our present position does not properly reflect the performances to date, and I have absolutely no doubt that we will finish in or near the promotion places by next May. Relegation isn't even a remote possibility.

I don't think we'll go down.

But I'm amazed that given Palace's history, you can not think it's a possibility. On paper, the team that was relegated in 1993 was too good to go down - but a terrible start and some freak results cost us. And you refer to the Alan Smith team - again, a team with Dougie, Clinton and Forsell (and others) was clearly too good to go down, but very nearly did.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Unless some more investment is made in the squad I see it as quite likely that palace will go down, or just scrape through. That's why I am so amazed that so many on here keep saying "it's only 3 games into the season" blah blah blah. Look at the squad! It's piss poor. it's the most uninspiring squad palace have had for years, plus Jordan wants out. It all adds up to tough times ahead I am afraid, even when I put the rose tinted specs on. Pray for a rich benefactor is all we can do.

stevek
05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Unless some more investment is made in the squad I see it as quite likely that palace will go down, or just scrape through. That's why I am so amazed that so many on here keep saying "it's only 3 games into the season" blah blah blah. Look at the squad! It's piss poor. it's the most uninspiring squad palace have had for years, plus Jordan wants out. It all adds up to tough times ahead I am afraid, even when I put the rose tinted specs on. Pray for a rich benefactor is all we can do.

The squad is hardly any different from last season.

Justin
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM

I actually think it is a stronger first team, if anything.

stevek
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I actually think it is a stronger first team, if anything. If Watson plays, and if he's properly focussed, then I tend to agree.

James
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I actually think it is a stronger first team, if anything. That's my view too - and it's hard to understand why anyone should disagree.

My only slight concern is over the depth of the Squad. We don't have much cover in the event of suspensions/injuries.

Nevertheless, talk of a struggle this Season, let alone relegation, is frankly ridiculous.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Youre putting on brave faces but I disagree. it;s a squad of strangers. The spine has gone, the players who have been there for any length of time too. Apart from Derry and Butterfield, maybe Speroni, its either youth team players or journeyment pros. Alan Lee the saviour? He was washed up at Ipswich and is not much younger than Dougie, just heavier and with far less guile. What is there on paper, apart from maybe Moses when he is on song, to whet the appetite? Answer, not a lot. I'll be glued to the radio and telly every Saturday i can be, following the score updates but that's out of a habit formed down 40 years, not because I expect palace to do anything this season. Harsh but true.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I actually think it is a stronger first team, if anything.

Maybe slightly weaker with no Soares, but not enough weaker to drop from 6th to 22nd.

Al has an agenda, I wouldnt take any of his GPD posts seriously. If it's popular opinion, you can put money on Al being on the other side.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 11:41 AM
An agenda? Don't be silly, I am just a realist. Let's see come April who is nearer the truth. Jordan wants out and Warnock's hands are tied financially, that's the truth, not speculation...and from a worse starting point last season when at least the squad knew each other. I admire your blind faith, but it is exactly that.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 11:44 AM
If we finish in the bottom 6 Al, £100 will go to a charity of your choice.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Fair do's. I'd rather you gave me reasons why you believe what you do rather than carry on with this nonsense about agendas and attention seeking. I say it as I see it, that is all. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a very unsettled ship right now with the bloke at the helm wanting out and mutterings about Warnock being frustrated and possibly considering an earlier retirement than he had planned. Chuck in the fact that squad looks more uninspiring than it has for many a year and I cannot see anything better than scrapping for championship survival.

Pub Idol
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Has anyone actually shown any interest ?

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd rather you gave me reasons why you believe what you do rather than carry on with this nonsense about agendas and attention seeking.

Firstly, it's nonsense about Warnock getting fed up. the current situation is exactly the atmosphere he thrives in.

As fed up as Jordan is, we've spent money this summer. Over £1m on Carle. We've spent £1.1m on 2 players replacing players who left for free. I dont see SJ as showing any less interest. He's been very much in the backgroundsince NW took over, he's just carrying that on

Scrapping survival? Well, we have one of the top 3 keepers in the division. When the back 4 are settled, we'll have a good defensive unit. No oubt Derry will find form and protect them. With him, we have one of the most exciting midfielders in the division (Carle). And further up, we have talent and spark of Scannell and Moses who will increasingly feature. Plus the likes of Oster coming in and doing a job. And, why do you compare Lee and Freedman (and by not much younger, not sure you know, but Lee is 4 years younger)? Lee should be compared to Scowcroft. And Lee is a better player than Scowcroft, with more of a goal scoring pedigree.

But I guess it's in your interests for us to do badly - you can say you told us so.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Why do you have to finish an otherwise reasonable post with a dig? is it just your nature? Can you not post about Palace opinions without having to put the knife in? it;s not in anyones interests. least of all mine, for Palace to do badly and is such a lame argument it is almost not worthy of response. I have followed the club for forty years, seen them in division three and going nowhere and in the premiership and taking the football world by surprise. As such, my gut feeling is that this season will be very ordinary. i derive no pleasure from that forecast, nor do i want it to come true, but that is what i see, taking everything into consideration. Now please, knock it off about agendas and my interests and attention seeking etc. It is just a different point of view to yours.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Your gut feeling in most seasons is the opposite to what is popular opinion. It's not a coincidence.

LeeH
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
weaker squad - I dont think so....

Speroni - still one of the Championship's best
Fonte - the best defender we've had for a long while - needs games.
Hill and Hills - one has shown that he can do a great job, the other is a great prospect and has done nothing massively bad in a Palace shirt.
Carle - has the ability to be as influential as Thomas used to be. (IMO, I really believe he can be as good)
Derry - not the fastest but committment personified.
Moses - needs to play as he has quality written all over him
Scannell - again, quality player but needs games.
Alan Lee - dont know enough about him at the moment but certainly knows where the net is based on his Ipswich career

There's the spine - even better than the Speroni / Hudson / Watson / Clint spine of last season

also, this whole 'they are just boys' train of thought is frankly a por excuse - Rooney was just a boy, Owen was justa boy, Walcott was just a boy. And they all got their chances and took them with both hands.

for me, the problem to date has been the wrong team selection. If the players above get a chance to play together regularly, we'll be top 6 by Xmas, no problems at all. I also get the feeling that NW has been holding Moses and Scannell back during the window to keep the bigger clubs away from them. I may be wrong but I think we'll see them line up soon.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Your gut feeling in most seasons is the opposite to what is popular opinion. It's not a coincidence.

Hardly. You can cite two occasions in nine years, one when I supported francis, the other when i refused to slag Kember off. I still feel TF didn't get enough time and that the crowd were on him far too early in his tenure. He also brought us AJ. Kember i really wanted to work out because of his history with the club, my respect for him as a Palace legend and the fact that he had worked miracles a couple of times when thrown in at the deep end previously. other than that you are believing what you choose to believe, either that or the victim of selective thinking. I welcomed Warnock last season and said that I thought he would be really good for palace. I still do if he were given any sort of licence to buy and blame him in no way, shape or form for palace's bad start. His hands are tied, he has to make do with what he has got, which IMHO, isn't great.

stevek
05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Youre putting on brave faces but I disagree. it;s a squad of strangers. The spine has gone, the players who have been there for any length of time too. Apart from Derry and Butterfield, maybe Speroni, its either youth team players or journeyment pros. Alan Lee the saviour? He was washed up at Ipswich and is not much younger than Dougie, just heavier and with far less guile. What is there on paper, apart from maybe Moses when he is on song, to whet the appetite? Answer, not a lot. I'll be glued to the radio and telly every Saturday i can be, following the score updates but that's out of a habit formed down 40 years, not because I expect palace to do anything this season. Harsh but true.

The 'spine' of the team has gone? Yes, we've lost Hudson and Morrison, and chosen Lee over Scowcroft because he's better. But that's hardly the 'spine'.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I didnt say you were always negative. I said you always went against the grain. Your Francis and Kember examples illustrate this point.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by stevek
The 'spine' of the team has gone? Yes, we've lost Hudson and Morrison, and chosen Lee over Scowcroft because he's better. But that's hardly the 'spine'.

Add to this that we've spent over £1m replacing two players who left on frees doesnt give much to Al's point about SJ jacking it in and not caring.

Maz
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
His hands are tied, he has to make do with what he has got, which IMHO, isn't great. Welcome to the real world of football.

One where owners actually do have to take care of the money.

You seem to live (and want to live) in a time warp.

Maz
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Maybe just a verterbra.

stevek
05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
. I welcomed Warnock last season and said that I thought he would be really good for palace. I still do if he were given any sort of licence to buy and blame him in no way, shape or form for palace's bad start. His hands are tied, he has to make do with what he has got, which IMHO, isn't great. He got us to the play-offs last year 'making do with what he'd got'. Most of the changes over the summer have been his choice (though I agree he would have liked to bring more players in).

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Welcome to the real world of football.

One where owners actually do have to take care of the money.

You seem to live (and want to live) in a time warp.

I'd definitely like to live in a world where Man City didn't spend more on one player than palace''s whole squad was worth, yes, for sure. Sadly that fact has made it very apparent that it will be a real struggle from now on for palace to actually get anywhere and that assumes they stay up this season.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
He got us to the play-offs last year 'making do with what he'd got'. Most of the changes over the summer have been his choice (though I agree he would have liked to bring more players in).

Yes he did incredibly well with what he had last year, but as with Dowie before him, it could be a case of lightning not striking twice.

Maz
05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd definitely like to live in a world where Man City didn't spend more on one player than palace''s whole squad was worth, yes, for sure. Sadly that fact has made it very apparent that it will be a real struggle from now on for palace to actually get anywhere and that assumes they stay up this season.

If we were playing Man City every match I would agree with you.

But we're not.

What are you like to live with??!!

kolinkins
Doesnt mean we'll struggle though.

Even when Dowie's lightening didnt strike twice, we got in to the top 6

I think we'll finish top 10 this season, and that will be about right.

Il Padrino
I think McCarthy (instead of Hudson), Carle (given a few more matches to settle in) and Lee (instead of Scowie) are all better options than we had last year.

On the down side Clinton and Soares gone, Watson frozen out and no Sinclair (yet). If Sinclair comes back i think we'd be better off than last year

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Maz
If we were playing Man City every match I would agree with you.

But we're not.

Football and living are two very different things. It is a purely objective view based on the facts before us i.e. chairman who wants out, frustrated manager and a squad full of journeymen with no real allegiance to, or history with, the club.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Football and living are two very different things. It is a purely objective view based on the facts before us i.e. chairman who wants out, frustrated manager and a squad full of journeymen with no real allegiance to, or history with, the club.

Facts?

Chairman who wants out - I will grant you

Frustrated manager - umm, I see no evidence of this. I see a manager licking his lips with excitement as to the challenge ahead

Journeymen? Umm, which of Speroni, Butterfield, Fonte, McCarthy, Hill, Derry, Carle, Watson, Danns, Moses, Scannell or even Lee are journeymen?

Maz
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Football and living are two very different things. It is a purely objective view based on the facts before us i.e. chairman who wants out, frustrated manager and a squad full of journeymen with no real allegiance to, or history with, the club. Those aren't the 'facts'.

They are an interpretation of the facts.

(And a glass half empty one to boot).

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Facts?

Chairman who wants out - I will grant you

Frustrated manager - umm, I see no evidence of this. I see a manager licking his lips with excitement as to the challenge ahead

Journeymen? Umm, which of Speroni, Butterfield, Fonte, McCarthy, Hill, Derry, Carle, Watson, Danns, Moses, Scannell or even Lee are journeymen?

Er, do you know what a journeyman is? Lee for instance is a good example:

Alan Lee (Aston Villa, Torquay United, Port Vale, Burnley, Rotherham United, Cardiff City, Ipswich Town)

THAT's a jorneyman.

Patrick McCarthy (Man City. Notts county, Boston Utd, Leicester, Charlton) - journeyman

Nick Carle (Sydney Olympic, Troyes AC, Marconi Stallions, Newcastle United Jets, Gençlerbirliði SK, Bristol City) - journeyman, albeit a younger one

Neil Danns (Blackburn, Blackpool, Hartlepool, Colchester, Birmingham) - journeyman.

EddieEdwards
05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by stupalace
There is always one club that has appeared in the play offs that struggles the next season . Yes - the team that wins them. :)

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Maz
Those aren't the 'facts'.

They are an interpretation of the facts.

(And a glass half empty one to boot).

The only possible interpretation is the one about Warnock, the other two are facts.

stevek
05-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Alan Lee (Aston Villa, Torquay United, Port Vale, Burnley, Rotherham United, Cardiff City, Ipswich Town)

THAT's a jorneyman.

Patrick McCarthy (Man City. Notts county, Boston Utd, Leicester, Charlton) - journeyman

Nick Carle (Sydney Olympic, Troyes AC, Marconi Stallions, Newcastle United Jets, Gençlerbirliði SK, Bristol City) - journeyman, albeit a younger one

Neil Danns (Blackburn, Blackpool, Hartlepool, Colchester, Birmingham) - journeyman.

You were previously bemoaning we had no-one to excite like Freedman.

That's Dougie Freedman (QPR, Barnet, Palace, Wolves, Notts Forest, Palace, Southend) - journeyman.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM

THAT's a jorneyman.

Nick Carle (Sydney Olympic, Troyes AC, Marconi Stallions, Newcastle United Jets, Gen�lerbirli�i SK, Bristol City) - journeyman, albeit a younger one

Lee was a trainee at Villa and loaned to the next 3 clubs on the list

McCarthy is in his mid-20s, and has only played for 2 clubs properly before joining us

Carle is in no way shape or form a journeyman

Danns was a trainee at blackburn, loaned to the next 2 clubs before making his mark at Colchester. Not a journeyman

Yet again, dont let facts get in the way.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
You were previously bemoaning we had no-one to excite like Freedman.

That's Dougie Freedman (QPR, Barnet, Palace, Wolves, Notts Forest, Palace, Southend) - journeyman.

Al includes loans too - add Leeds to the list.

Al From Bromley
05-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I am not continuing this farcical argument. Ask yourself why those 'loanees' never became permanent at those clubs? To compare any of them with freedman is insultng to freedman and just shows you up for your lack of footballing knowledge. Good day to you.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I am not continuing this farcical argument. Ask yourself why those 'loanees' never became permanent at those clubs? To compare any of them with freedman is insultng to freedman and just shows you up for your lack of footballing knowledge. Good day to you.

Excellent.

The loanees BTW were young players getting experience at a lower level.

Cominal Al B.

Scoot
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
QPR own their own ground and in a more fashionable area which is ripe for development.
Thats the thing, we all know that as soon as the credit crunch is over QPhahahawill be playing out of a meccano stadium near Heathrow whilst the owners reap the rewards from the sale of Loftus

Justin
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM

THAT's a jorneyman.

Michael Owen, Nicholas Anelka, Thierry Henri mean anything to you.

No way I would want any of those journeymen to replace Clint, I agree.

TheCharmer
05-09-2008, 01:10 PM
once again this thread has gone off on a tangent, when i thought it was going to be useful info on prospective buyers. Could the mysterious person be someone from GAC Logisitics? Arent they based in Dubai?

Jay_Palace
05-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Scoot
Thats the thing, we all know that as soon as the credit crunch is over QPhahahawill be playing out of a meccano stadium near Heathrow whilst the owners reap the rewards from the sale of Loftus

Doesn't make any sense. Messrs Briatore and Mittal are ridiculously wealthy, and I doubt they would wet their pants at the prospect of divvying up maybe 50-60 million(?) from the sale of Loftus Road for development.

It's an ego trip. Nothing more, nothing less.

stevek
05-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Rubbish. Freedman is actually an interesting example - the main reason he came back to Palace (and probably also why he loves Palace so much) is because he failed everywhere in between.

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
No point pointing it out SteveK - he's realised how flawed his whole argument is, thrown his toys out the pram, taken his ball and run off.

stevek
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
No point pointing it out SteveK - he's realised how flawed his whole argument is, thrown his toys out the pram, taken his ball and run off. He's only said goodbye once, so he's not gone yet.

Barbara4003
05-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Maz

You're not allowed to say that. I got my wrist slapped for saying something very similar a while ago. :D

Maz
05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
You're not allowed to say that. I got my wrist slapped for saying something very similar a while ago. :D :)

I was only voicing what all of us were thinking.

New LP
05-09-2008, 01:56 PM

But Kolinkins' is right on this one. It's telling that because you have no answer to his post you choose to run away from the discussion.

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree with Al.

I think it's quite sad the way some of you bully him on here.

Sickening, in fact.

Maz
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I agree with Al.
Any statement in particular, or just in general?

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
In general.

Maz
05-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Damn it. You've persuaded me.

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Cool. :lux:

Matt_Hep
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Rubbish. Freedman is actually an interesting example - the main reason he came back to Palace (and probably also why he loves Palace so much) is because he failed everywhere in between.

You're putting Freedman's love for the club down to being a 'failure' elsewhere? Do you even support this club? Would love to see you present your theory to Dougie in person, although I must point out that he won't be aware of your post count.

stevek
05-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Matt_Hep
You're putting Freedman's love for the club down to being a 'failure' elsewhere? Do you even support this club? Would love to see you present your theory to Dougie in person, although I must point out that he won't be aware of your post count.

Oh grow up. Of course I support this club. Dougie himself has said things not all that dissimilar - he has certainly said that one of the reasons he loves the club is because he has had his best times here and that his career did not go as he'd hoped when he left first time round.

Maz
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh grow up. Of course I support this club. Dougie himself has said things not all that dissimilar - he has certainly said that one of the reasons he loves the club is because he has had his best times here and that his career did not go as he'd hoped when he left first time round. Exactly.

Dougie wouldn't be the only person to only have one employer where he truly sparkles.

Riccardo
05-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh grow up. Of course I support this club. Dougie himself has said things not all that dissimilar - he has certainly said that one of the reasons he loves the club is because he has had his best times here and that his career did not go as he'd hoped when he left first time round.

You are a bit grumpy when you post recently, stevek's beard.

I think he done ok at Wolves didn't he ? 30 odd games and 10 goals I think....didn't do great at Forest, granted.

Matt_Hep
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh grow up. Of course I support this club.

I was suprised any Palace fan could make such a crude, dismissive statement about Freedman's love for the club to be honest.

stevek
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM

I think he done ok at Wolves didn't he ? 30 odd games and 10 goals I think....didn't do great at Forest, granted.

I'm not grumpy in the slightest.

'Failed' was clearly over the top for effect; my point was simply that by Al's definition, Dougie would certainly fit as a journeyman and it is only at Palace (and probably Barnet) that he really showed - over any period of time - his best football. And that is the reason - combined with the affection he got from and the relationship he had with the fans - is the reason he loves Palace. I'd be amazed if Dougie didn't say very much the same.

stevek
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Matt_Hep
I was suprised any Palace fan could make such a crude, dismissive statement about Freedman's love for the club to be honest. There was nothing crude or dismissive about it. Freedman is one of my favourite ever players. You really need to read the post in the context of the discussion during which it was made (and, given you made the comment about my post count, perhaps some of the other posts I have made about Dougie over the years).

Matt_Hep
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Did pretty well at Leeds too..Really impressed them up there, but had a shit one in the final!

He's the sort of player whose career could've been so much better if he'd had that much more stability with the clubs he played with..but hopefully he'll perform as we know he can to end his career at Southend.

Sussex Eagle
05-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Well, he did better than most of Forest's squad at the time - their top scorer in the Premiership that year I think? Dougie hasn't exactly 'failed' anywhere except I suppose his first club QPR - certainly not the way Palace Failures fail anyway. He's simply struggled to settle anywhere but the London area - didn't seem to get on with the locals at Wolves & Forest.

ardley24
05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
wow this has gone completely off topic

and to the person who said im talkin out my arse...you know me yeah?
no didnt think so

sw16girl
05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
wow this has gone completely off topic

and to the person who said im talkin out my arse...you know me yeah?
no didnt think so

I don't need to know you to know what you are saying is incorrect.

thereichstuff
05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I was driving past the training ground this afternoon and i saw a van with GAC on the side parked in there . Probably nothing out of the ordinary but you never know !

Justin
05-09-2008, 03:45 PM

That edit was too slow!!

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Very slow indeed!

Adlerhorst
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Very slow indeed! Took almost a fortmonth ;)

kolinkins
05-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst
Took almost a fortmonth ;)

I have no idea what you are talking about

Celestial Empire
05-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Uh-oh :( if that's James' forecast, we're in deep doodoo. :eek:

ardley24
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM

and can i ask how you know that?

palacemaniac
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
and can i ask how you know that?

Because SW16 Girl is incredibly arrogant condescending and sanctimonious

palacemaniac
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
and wants to see Jordan fail

ardley24
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by palacemaniac

ah wicked well at least i know

sw16girl
05-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by palacemaniac

I may be all of that but at least I do not spread made up rumours round the board about a sale just because it makes me feel good to see people react - unlike ardley24.

ardley24
05-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I may be all of that but at least I do not spread made up rumours round the board about a sale just because it makes me feel good to see people react - unlike ardley24.

look yeah i dont know what your problem is but seriously.
you dont know anything about me and im not sad enough to go makin up stuff just to get a reaction.
ill remember this the next time i hear something not to share it cos people like you

Barbara4003
05-09-2008, 06:47 PM

I might be incredibly niaive, but how do you know he isn't telling the truth?

Not a dig, I just wonder what you obviously know that we don't ;)

Hedgehog
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh dear James.... with your track record when it comes to making predictions I'm now worried.... very worried! :eek:

ZOHAR
05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Full article:

Credit crunch could hit SJ plans

Crystal Palace supremo Simon Jordan has revealed the crippling credit crunch could delay his plans to sell the club before the end of the season.

In an exclusive interview with the Advertiser, Jordan reiterated his desire to sell Palace and revealed, if possible, would like to find a buyer before the end of the season.

However, Jordan has also revealed that his hopes to sell before the end of the current campaign may be hit by the well-documented credit crunch.

Jordan told the Advertiser: “I’m still very much looking to sell the club – even maybe before the end of the season. But ultimately, can that be achieved in the current climate? I’m not sure.”

The Eagles chairman announced his plans to sell the Selhurst Park club in July admitting to being disillusioned with the game, particularly after the enforced sale of teenage whizzkid John Bostock to Spurs for a measly £700,000.

But despite his plans to quit football, Jordan told the Advertiser that he remains fully-focused on finding a buyer who will show the same passion and commitment he has during his near nine-year stint in the Selhurst Park boardroom.

“Crystal Palace deserve someone who wants to be here and someone who has the enthusiasm that I had nine years ago,” he said.

“I’ve given my best to Crystal Palace and I will continue to do so, part and parcel of that is finding the best possible person to take over from me.”

Meanwhile, the Eagles chairman has spoken of his admiration for departed Palace striker Dougie Freedman.

The 34-year-old, who was told he had no playing future at SE25, ended his 10-year love affair with Palace this week after putting pen to paper on a two-year deal at League One Southend United.

And Jordan insists Freedman’s contribution to the club was more than just hitting the back of the net.

Jordan said: “Dougie will always be remembered for his goals, but he was a lot more than that. Many will remember his partnership with Clinton Morrison and, for me, at one point in time, he was the best striker outside the Premier League.

“He is a great role model for kids. Dougie was always concerned about the young players coming through and always looked out for them.

“When Dougie was at Leeds last season I spoke to him about Victor Moses trying to get a mortgage and he wanted to make sure that Victor was making the right decisions.

“Dougie saw me at the end of every season, not surreptitiously, but we would talk about how the season had gone and about the club.

“Yes, he has been well looked after, but he has been a great servant to the club.

“He has achieved a lot at the club - like scoring 100 goals. People will remember that goal against Stockport - but that’s not my abiding memory of Dougie.

“Of course, it’s part and parcel of his legacy at the club, but my overriding memories of Dougie will be non-football related His mannerism and his concern for others will be my abiding memory.

“He always wanted the club to be the best it can be.”

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/palacelatest/Credit-crunch-hit-SJ-plans/article-307527-detail/article.html

SE25Eagle
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM

:clown:

Biggineagle
06-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Credit Crunch hasnt affected man city

Biggineagle
06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
Full article:

Credit crunch could hit SJ plans

In an exclusive interview with the Advertiser, Jordan reiterated his desire to sell Palace and revealed, if possible, would like to find a buyer before the end of the season.

However, Jordan has also revealed that his hopes to sell before the end of the current campaign may be hit by the well-documented credit crunch.

Jordan told the Advertiser: “I’m still very much looking to sell the club – even maybe before the end of the season. But ultimately, can that be achieved in the current climate? I’m not sure.”

The Eagles chairman announced his plans to sell the Selhurst Park club in July admitting to being disillusioned with the game, particularly after the enforced sale of teenage whizzkid John Bostock to Spurs for a measly £700,000.

But despite his plans to quit football, Jordan told the Advertiser that he remains fully-focused on finding a buyer who will show the same passion and commitment he has during his near nine-year stint in the Selhurst Park boardroom.

“Crystal Palace deserve someone who wants to be here and someone who has the enthusiasm that I had nine years ago,” he said.

“I’ve given my best to Crystal Palace and I will continue to do so, part and parcel of that is finding the best possible person to take over from me.”

Meanwhile, the Eagles chairman has spoken of his admiration for departed Palace striker Dougie Freedman.

The 34-year-old, who was told he had no playing future at SE25, ended his 10-year love affair with Palace this week after putting pen to paper on a two-year deal at League One Southend United.

And Jordan insists Freedman’s contribution to the club was more than just hitting the back of the net.

Jordan said: “Dougie will always be remembered for his goals, but he was a lot more than that. Many will remember his partnership with Clinton Morrison and, for me, at one point in time, he was the best striker outside the Premier League.

“He is a great role model for kids. Dougie was always concerned about the young players coming through and always looked out for them.

“When Dougie was at Leeds last season I spoke to him about Victor Moses trying to get a mortgage and he wanted to make sure that Victor was making the right decisions.

“Dougie saw me at the end of every season, not surreptitiously, but we would talk about how the season had gone and about the club.

“Yes, he has been well looked after, but he has been a great servant to the club.

“He has achieved a lot at the club - like scoring 100 goals. People will remember that goal against Stockport - but that’s not my abiding memory of Dougie.

“Of course, it’s part and parcel of his legacy at the club, but my overriding memories of Dougie will be non-football related His mannerism and his concern for others will be my abiding memory.

“He always wanted the club to be the best it can be.”

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/palacelatest/Credit-crunch-hit-SJ-plans/article-307527-detail/article.html

Well said Simon, all the best Dougie, see you when you come back to Palace as you surely will

aj4england
06-09-2008, 08:30 AM
should have stayed - needed for the relegation battle

Pidster
06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree with Al.

I think it's quite sad the way some of you bully him on here.

Sickening, in fact.

Hardly bullying, when people are only pointing out flaws in his argument ( that's what debate is all about ). However, to be fair to Al, he was right, when he pointed out that the stadium announcer at the beginning of last season wasn't very polished

Psychokiller
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Oh bloody hell, here we go again.

Of course, it's impossible that a lesser Palace supporter (ie one who is not involved in the trust) is going to have any information whatsoever regarding the situation behind the scenes at CPFC.

Indeed, if SJ did have a buyer lined up the first people he is going to inform are those who've continually sniped and thrown brickbats at him since more or less the day he took over :rolleyes:

James
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
This has descended into a particularly pointless argument. Jordan has himself said that the credit crunch has made it difficult to find a buyer.

I cannot believe that Jordan will be able to find anyone prepared to take over the Club, with all its debts, and pay a premium for it. Of course he may be in discussions - but whether he is able to agree terms is quite another matter. I fear that we will be stuck with SJ (and he with us) for a good while yet.

Ardley24 may have some inside knowledge, but he has not said anything in this thread (or elsewhere to my knowledge) to show that he is doing anything other than making a 'look at me' post. If Jordan does manage to find a buyer, then he will be able to say 'I told you so'. If he doesn't (most likely in my view), he can claim that the negotiaitions have broken down. Frankly, whether he knows something or not, I can't see that his post is of any use to anybody, and I can understand Lesley's irritation with him. If he has genuine information - tell us what it is. If he knows something in strict confidence, then it's best to keep it that way, and say nothing.

sw16girl
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Oh bloody hell, here we go again.

Of course, it's impossible that a lesser Palace supporter (ie one who is not involved in the trust) is going to have any information whatsoever regarding the situation behind the scenes at CPFC.

Indeed, if SJ did have a buyer lined up the first people he is going to inform are those who've continually sniped and thrown brickbats at him since more or less the day he took over :rolleyes:

do you fancy some vinegar with that chip on your shoulder lol

ardley24
06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Ardley24 may have some inside knowledge, but he has not said anything in this thread (or elsewhere to my knowledge) to show that he is doing anything other than making a 'look at me' post.

im not sad enough to crave the attention of people on here. i say one thing and im lying and craving attention. unless its one of the people who have been on here for years that say something then thats the only time things are taken into account. i really couldnt care a less if you or anyone else for that matter think im making a look at me post. because to be quite honest you mean absolutely nothing to me or my life.
i know what i know and if you dont believe me oh well. this is a crystal palace forum where people talk about crystal palace. ive posted what ive been told and ive pretty much been told im making it up. so ill remeber in future to just read these boards

James
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
im not sad enough to crave the attention of people on here. i say one thing and im lying and craving attention. unless its one of the people who have been on here for years that say something then thats the only time things are taken into account. i really couldnt care a less if you or anyone else for that matter think im making a look at me post. because to be quite honest you mean absolutely nothing to me or my life.
i know what i know and if you dont believe me oh well. this is a crystal palace forum where people talk about crystal palace. ive posted what ive been told and ive pretty much been told im making it up. so ill remeber in future to just read these boards ... and who told you such a thing? Was it a mate round the Pub?

I don't mean to be insulting, but your spelling and grammar suggest that you may be a student, as opposed to a businessman who may be mixing with the brokers/financiers/advisers involved in such a deal.

Anyone can post on the BBS, claiming to know about negotiations concerning Palace. If you really do know something, then please give us a little more information about the source and its connection with the leading players - and of course the source's reliability. You don't need to break any confidences to do this.

ardley24
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
the source is the persons driver.

Barbara4003
06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
... and who told you such a thing? Was it a mate round the Pub?

I don't mean to be insulting, but your spelling and grammar suggest that you may be a student, as opposed to a businessman who may be mixing with the brokers/financiers/advisers involved in such a deal.

Anyone can post on the BBS, claiming to know about negotiations concerning Palace. If you really do know something, then please give us a little more information about the source and its connection with the leading players - and of course the source's reliability. You don't need to break any confidences to do this.

That's a bit patronising! Just because he doesn't use gramatically correct posts, doesn't mean he's a student. I know some very well educated and well thought of people who don't always type things gramatically correct.

I'm surprised anyone gives any snippets of information on here to be quite honest. Anyone 'new' person gets shot down in flames just because they claim they know something.

I'm always prepared to give someone the benefit of the doubt and I think others on here should do the same.

ardley24
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM

I'm surprised anyone gives any snippets of information on here to be quite honest. Anyone 'new' person gets shot down in flames just because they claim they know something.

exactly!! unless youve been on here for years and everyone knows you you arent taking seriously

James
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
That's a bit patronising! Just because he doesn't use gramatically correct posts, doesn't mean he's a student. I know some very well educated and well thought of people who don't always type things gramatically correct. You are right. I apologise.

Oisin
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
once again this thread has gone off on a tangent, when i thought it was going to be useful info on prospective buyers. Could the mysterious person be someone from GAC Logisitics? Arent they based in Dubai?

GAC Logistics aren't that rich anyway.

Pidster
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
exactly!! unless youve been on here for years and everyone knows you you arent taking seriously

Point of information. Al From Bromley has been on here for years.

Psychokiller
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

So only businessmen would mix with those types of people? Not everyone who has money is like you, James.....

rbarmy
07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
actually theres not much wrong with ardleys spelling or grammar that a bit of punctuation wouldnt fix ;)

Gooders
07-09-2008, 12:42 PM

ardley - we don't take the postings of those that have been on here for years seriously, believe me.

Their longevity just means that they have had a much longer time to continuously get things wrong, to be honest. :p

eagle101
14-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Mike Ashley to take over from Jordan, anyone? ;)

David Amsalem
14-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Very poor show.

James
14-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
Very poor show. I have already apologised. I was out of order.

Nth Kent Eagle
14-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by eagle101

Not if he brings Dennis Wise or Joey Barton. Otherwise okay.

DocSavage
14-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I have made an offer, Simon knows I am serious, I have raided the kids piggy bank, postponed the garden refurb, canceeled the boy's junior soccer, the girls Stagecoach and have insisted on thorough due diligence. simon has indicated the offer of £25.23p is acceptable and he can get change in 10p pieces.

I will need finance for the transfer market so please send dontaqions soonest

Ian Hart
14-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
ardley - we don't take the postings of those that have been on here for years seriously, believe me.

Their longevity just means that they have had a much longer time to continuously get things wrong, to be honest. :p

Absolutely. You ought to see some of Gooders tips on the horse racing threads :D

Who Cares?
14-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by eagle101

Hopefully not but how about his predecessor?

I read somewhere recently that Freddy Shepherd is looking at "one or two clubs" as he wants to get back into the game.

Probably 2+2=5 but isn't Shepherd a friend & neighbour of SJ in Marbella?

Ian Hart
14-09-2008, 09:58 PM
It can't be Freddy Shepherd. Ardley24 specifically said "from same area as the new man city owners"

Sounds like it must be Gadaffi to me.

CP Satellite
14-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
It can't be Freddy Shepherd. Ardley24 specifically said "from same area as the new man city owners"

Hardly. When you piece the clues together - Ardley = Wimbledon, Man City = Arabs, Wimbledon + Arabs = Sam the Sham.

orp pisshead1
14-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by CP Satellite
Hardly. When you piece the clues together - Ardley = Wimbledon, Man City = Arabs, Wimbledon + Arabs = Sam the Sham.

:D :p

David Amsalem
14-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I have already apologised. I was out of order.

Ah yeah, I never get to the end of the thread ;)

PeterH
14-09-2008, 11:28 PM
More to the point, no news has materialised.

I have no beef with people posting up what they heard if they are fairly confident of their sources. Most on here rile against Chinese whispers and rightly so. I suspect those that initiate them wish that threads like this would disappear, but they must always be followed up. For nothing else, but to use for discrediting purposes in the future.

The world is full of know it all hot air types. Usually propping up a bar somewhere. Part of Harry Enfields genius was the ´Fat Bloke in a pub´character. I would suggest we have had something similar here.

PeterH
14-09-2008, 11:33 PM
If we get promoted or sit somewhere around the promotion places, then someone might take an interest. I reckon the sale of Soares, the letting go of Clinton, the non-resolution of Watson´s contract, the frantic fire sale attempt just before deadline day, the Kuqi sition, and the relatively paltry purchase of Lee, point to a battening down of the hatches. Optimistically, one could argue that SJ is making the club more saleable. On the other hand, he could be looking to ride out a financial storm hoping Palace do enough on the pitch to get some other mug in to carry the poisoned chalice.

Dave
15-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
If we get promoted or sit somewhere around the promotion places, then someone might take an interest. Why?

Jimbocpfc
15-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Isn't that obvious Dave

Beanie
15-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jimbocpfc
Isn't that obvious Dave
Actually no, it's not. By your implied logic when Ecclestone and crew were looking to buy a team they should have been looking at the top not the bottom of the Championship, nobody should have bought the likes of Rotherham, Bournemouth or Luton and West Brom should not still be looking for a shirt sponsor for this season. To be honest anybody only interested if we look like going up is probably not somebody we really want, because they might be just as keen to get rid if we miss out or go down again. Not every owner would be looking for a buyer that's good for the club, just one who will pay as much as possible.

LeeH
15-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I've seen Ashley's name mentioned on this thread twice - would anyone want him in charge at the Palace? Especially with the knowledge that his track record has consisted of:

Sacking the Messiah
Employing Dennis Wise

For the last one alone, he should be banished from ever darkening the Selhurst Park boardroom!

Godstone Eagle
15-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by LeeH

Sacking the Messiah

Didnt sack him, Keegan walked.

Always an Eagle
15-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Actually no, it's not. By your implied logic when Ecclestone and crew were looking to buy a team they should have been looking at the top not the bottom of the Championship, nobody should have bought the likes of Rotherham, Bournemouth or Luton and West Brom should not still be looking for a shirt sponsor for this season. To be honest anybody only interested if we look like going up is probably not somebody we really want, because they might be just as keen to get rid if we miss out or go down again. Not every owner would be looking for a buyer that's good for the club, just one who will pay as much as possible.

Logic probably has nothing to do with buying a football club, they are pure money pits. As for QPR & its buyers, as Kirsty & phil always say, location, location, location.

Interesting readering Ashleys statement when he's almost criticizing the front loading of sponsors payments that have been spent, like our season ticket deals.

LeeH
15-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Godstone Eagle
Didnt sack him, Keegan walked.
My mistake
I'll rephrase - he contributed to Keegan's departure.

Stellavista
15-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart

Geography your strong point, Ian? :)

Ian Hart
15-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista
Geography your strong point, Ian? :)

It is the same area.

(As long as you treat it as a BIG area) :p

Stellavista
15-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Granted, if we're talking about the same planet......:cool:

PeterH
15-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Why?

I said might. Without the ground, I don´t think anyone will take an interest. Unless they support Palace.

Always an Eagle
15-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I said might. Without the ground, I don´t think anyone will take an interest. Unless they support Palace.

Football club ownership has probably moved on dramatically since we were last up for sale but Mr Lim was prepared to buy the club (players) with a lease on ground for £10 million & it was never suggested he was a fan.

We have better players now, a similar manager in terms of experience, longer lease, a better CCC TV deal about to kick in & greater rewards on promotion to Prem but weighed down with the debts & higher rent, wages etc.

cdm61
15-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I heard Lehman brothers were just about to close a deal - dam - seriously you why would you pay money for a debt? Particularly when there is no real asset base?

SJ will be lucky if someone agrees to pay the debts - because you could pick it up at the auction for 10p in the £1 during administration.

He can't give it away let alone get someone to pay for it....

PeterH
15-09-2008, 05:55 PM
But SJ wants 40m. The players are not worth 30m more. The 10 million cleared debts. As you stated the person will be buying debt and the lease sounds more like a noose than a benefit.

The deal doesn´t look nearly as attractive, and it wasn´t that attractive before.

James
15-09-2008, 08:40 PM
But SJ wants 40m. The players are not worth 30m more. The 10 million cleared debts. As you stated the person will be buying debt and the lease sounds more like a noose than a benefit.

The deal doesn´t look nearly as attractive, and it wasn´t that attractive before. Jordan has to hope that idiots arrive in threes. Goldberg, Jordan and ?

Jim Cannons Moustache
15-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Jordan has to hope that idiots arrive in threes. Goldberg, Jordan and ?

Mitchell?

bgh2172
15-09-2008, 11:51 PM
In light of Ashby I hope we realise, we're living in a material world!

Hopefully someone will realise we're going for a bargain oppose to the Geordies!

Riponeagle
16-09-2008, 08:02 AM
One thing that keeps nagging at me about SJ and his tenure at Palace. When he bought the club, it was financially crippled and struggling in what was then the First Division. Now, after more managers than any club has a right to in 8 years, countless players coming and going, several ups, several downs, the club appears to be up for sale, in debt and, um, struggling in the Championship. Whichever side of the Jordan fence you sit on, it ain't exactly progress, is it?

9Freedman9
16-09-2008, 10:44 AM
There is still a club here to support isn't there?

There are all the answers you need in the sentence above.

Dave
16-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Riponeagle
One thing that keeps nagging at me about SJ and his tenure at Palace. When he bought the club, it was financially crippled and struggling in what was then the First Division. Now, after more managers than any club has a right to in 8 years, countless players coming and going, several ups, several downs, the club appears to be up for sale, in debt and, um, struggling in the Championship. Whichever side of the Jordan fence you sit on, it ain't exactly progress, is it? He got us to the premier league and has spent more on talent than anyone else.

€pfc
16-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Riponeagle
One thing that keeps nagging at me about SJ and his tenure at Palace. When he bought the club, it was financially crippled and struggling in what was then the First Division. Now, after more managers than any club has a right to in 8 years, countless players coming and going, several ups, several downs, the club appears to be up for sale, in debt and, um, struggling in the Championship. Whichever side of the Jordan fence you sit on, it ain't exactly progress, is it?

The academy seems to be doing well 2 Palace players in the England U19's the other day I'd call that progress:p

Not to mention Wiggins and Scannell

henryhallandhisbasque
16-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave
He got us to the premier league and has spent more on talent than anyone else.

Dowie got us into the Premiership. People forget that.

If Dowie had been given some serious financial backing, he may well have kept us there.

LeeH
16-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
Dowie got us into the Premiership.
....who was employed by Simon Jordan. People tend tro forget that as well

Simon A
16-09-2008, 12:42 PM

If Dowie had been given some serious financial backing, he may well have kept us there.

Then again he may have p*ssed it all up the wall with players such as:

Torghelle - did he even manage a single full game?
Kaviedes - did he even manage a single full game?
Ventola - did he even manage a single full game?
Kolkka - Champions League experienced player yet not good enough to hold down a place in the first team.
Lakis - Greek international yet not good enough to hold down a place in the first team.

igl
16-09-2008, 12:47 PM

And if he had been given more backing and his transfer dealings were as dud as those already listed... then what ?!?!

Il Padrino
16-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by igl
And if he had been given more backing and his transfer dealings were as dud as those already listed... then what ?!?!

Kanoute and Kanu? Doubt it....