PDA

View Full Version : The Matt Lawrence Poll

CP Satellite
08-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I like Matt Lawrence because:

Spender
08-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I like him. Thought he was brilliant at the end of last season alongside Hudson, a real key performer in our fine run in to the end of the season.

917L
08-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I like him

But he's an average at best footballer

When he's good he still cant pass a ball.

The worst defender at the club in footballing terms (and in the last couple of games defensively as well)

David of Kent
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Decent centre back, woefully out of form at present

beef
08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
raggy!

bern5161
08-09-2008, 07:01 PM
because if he can play for palace so can I

nomad
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 917L
I like him

But he's an average at best footballer

When he's good he still cant pass a ball.

The worst defender at the club in footballing terms (and in the last couple of games defensively as well)

Spot on. What has happened to Fonte? If he is injured, Hill and McCarthy would be a better combination with Hills playing at left back. Lawrence cannot defend in the air and his distribution is appalling. Typical ex Millwall player.

AJ's right boot
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Should of been 'shaggy' from scooby doo tho....

Crunchie
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Because of his never say die attitude.

WarnockLeg
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bern5161
because if he can play for palace so can I

:p Agreed!

Simon D
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Spender
I like him. Thought he was brilliant at the end of last season alongside Hudson, a real key performer in our fine run in to the end of the season.

People keep saying this, but i thought Fonte was starting quite a few of the games towards the end of last season instead on Lawrence. Anyone got stats to hand to clear up my confusion?

stevek
09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 917L
IThe worst defender at the club in footballing terms (and in the last couple of games defensively as well)

But (current form excepted) one of the best defenders at defending - which is kind of the point.

kolinkins
09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
He's a very very poor man's Carragher really (and Carragher is vastly overrated)

Get's attention for all of his last-ditch defending. If he was as good at defending as people think, he wouldnt have to do last-ditch stuff.

He's my only gripe with Warnock.

kolinkins
09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by stevek
But (current form excepted) one of the best defenders at defending - which is kind of the point.

You choose to ignore his current form, but not Derry's?

Lawrence wasnt even that good last season.

stevek
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
You choose to ignore his current form, but not Derry's?

Lawrence wasnt even that good last season.

Where have I ignored his current form? I was making a general point that I think he has been criticised - last season as well as this - because he's not the best 'footballer'. But the primary job of a defender is to defend - and last season he was excellent at that.

(As you're so good at cross-referring my posts, why don't you look at what I've suggested for the team for Swansea.)

tasty_snacks
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
for seeming like a reasonably intelligent guy interested in affairs outside of football (and for being an indie kid), he gets my vote. not great this campaign, but outstanding at the tail end of last year.

what do they say, 'form is temporary..., :o

Stewie Griffin
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Reminds me of Dean Austin. Tries hard but limited - wins over a section of fans for whom trying hard is enough.

I wouldn't mind him nearly as much if he was back-up - but when you stand in the way of Fonte...

CPFC_DAVE77
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Because he has a brain.

Billy Rhino
09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Crunchie
Because of his never say die attitude.
I hear he got murdered at Reading though?

I agree he's normally a good committed defender but one thing that gets my goat is professional footballers who have no real footballing ability. 'Hoofers' like him are the reason Palace have generally been playing the long ball game for a few years now (......and people wonder why Bostock left??).