PDA

View Full Version : How Good A Position Are We In?

GodstoneEagle
08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
As a club? If you roll everything into one, SJ wanting out, our league position, our debts but also the top young players, the class players in their prime, our value as a property.

How good a position are we in compared to other clubs. Plymouth argyle find themselves comparing us to them in this thread on their BBS, P@SOTI (http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22488)

Thoughts?

palace_burger
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Sad but true really, and thats how many investors will see us as well, I have no idea how Jordan will find a buyer.

elgin eagle
08-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Pasties n Cider is probably a fool who knows nothing about football.

GodstoneEagle
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
to be fair, we have enough of those on here

cdm61
09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I think they've got us spot on - we are a sinking ship holed by the economic reef of the premiership - no ground, no money, and no chance of new players or a new buyer!

Shipsisourking
09-09-2008, 07:24 AM
just cause sj wants out and weve had a derby-esque start to the season dont make it all doom and gloom. On the field we will improve, off it who knows. Lets stay positive guys.

ozzieEagle
09-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Shipsisourking
just cause sj wants out and weve had a derby-esque start to the season dont make it all doom and gloom. On the field we will improve, off it who knows. Lets stay positive guys.

Palace need new supporters, lots of them, and fast, The club needs to be seen to be moving forwards rather than backwards.

LeeH
09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
IMO

Things look pretty bleak at the moment in terms of the club but I think the team are more than capable of doing their part, we have the players to propel us upwards and onwards.

I just get the feeling that as SJ walks away from it all we'll be giving him a pat on the back and laughing about how he managed to pull off a master stroke and sell with the right deal in place to see us good in the future and with club and ground together. I guess I'm an optimist when it comes to Palace. Feel free to bring this comment up again in several months if I am wrong :D

Louis
09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by cdm61
I think they've got us spot on - we are a sinking ship holed by the economic reef of the premiership - no ground, no money, and no chance of new players or a new buyer! Oh you do go on :rolleyes:

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
09-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Great - another vehicle thread for the doom and gloom mongers.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
09-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
Great - another vehicle thread for the doom and gloom mongers.

It seems a fair few Palace fans thrive on it to be honest. Pretty sad stuff

jhc
09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
reigate_green
Trust Friend
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm Post subject:
'I can't see any billionaire investor being attracted unless he/she is a Palace fan or as per Wimbledon (with no feasable site within or even outside the M25) they franchise to another part of the country. Would be sad to see.

For those who knock our board, compared to Palace we are in far healthier financial situation. Owning our own ground and possible future training facilities without having to finance a massive dept on top of the day to day running of the club, and without the burden of long term ST holders whose investment will have been long gone and spent.

When we played them last season, my wooden seat like many others in the Arthur Wait stand had a back to it but no actual seat, (but made no difference as everyone stood anyway, Block 16 stewards take note) you just got a feel that the place was falling apart. A mad dash to the Premiership and two years parachute payments thereafter nothing to show for it and all history now ......... Palace are precariously poised at the top of a greasy slide'

---------------------------------------------------------

I love this one!
We all have our own (sometimes blinkered) opinion of our club and ground, but you probably get a more realistic sense of where we stand in the football world when the oppositions fans give their judgement about your club.
This Argyle fan possibly has it about right at the moment but the one thing we've always had over clubs like theirs is the potential. Sadly we've seldom realised it. A successful Palace has the ability to draw in big crowds - Plymouth do not.
If we had the investment (in team & stadium) we have the catchment area that few other teams could match. With Palace, it's potential that has never been realised, but with the right backing it could.

Son of Ron
09-09-2008, 08:01 AM
We probably had the very same debate 12 months ago.

We are in the position that CPFC is always in - the unknown and not knowing which way we're heading.

We have no clue whether at the end of the season we'll be in the play offs looking forward to the cash bonanza of the Premier League or the relegation spots starting into League 1.

And to me thats the beauty of being a Palace fan.

Much rather this, than be a Man City / Chelsea / Liverpool / Man Utd / QPR fan where years of history are just obliterated by an Arab / Russian / American / Indian / Italian billionaire who wants to turn it into their play thing for a couple of years.

GreatGonzo
09-09-2008, 08:03 AM
So if Palace was a footballer it would be Tom Soares? ;)

Forever9
09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I think it's worrying times ahead, only thing that does worry me if we have a Stockport situation on our hands, i can't see enough spirit to beat it this time without Morrison and DOug

The Gerry Queen
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Wish I hadn't logged on to this Depressathon this morning. There's me thinking that we were a missed penalty away from the Play off final last May after being in an even bigger hole last October.

Come on Palace fans ! Imagine how many people on this thread would be in the topping stakes if they'd been around in 1973 and the Big Mal successive relegations. Yet the biggest surviving memory from then was of our 1977 cup run and the amazing win at Wrexham to win promotion.

This is Palace we are talking about and I can guarentee that after a couple of wins,starting on Saturday, the clouds will lift and the promotion race will be back on.

Barbara4003
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by The Gerry Queen
Wish I hadn't logged on to this Depressathon this morning. There's me thinking that we were a missed penalty away from the Play off final last May after being in an even bigger hole last October.

Come on Palace fans ! Imagine how many people on this thread would be in the topping stakes if they'd been around in 1973 and the Big Mal successive relegations. Yet the biggest surviving memory from then was of our 1977 cup run and the amazing win at Wrexham to win promotion.

This is Palace we are talking about and I can guarentee that after a couple of wins,starting on Saturday, the clouds will lift and the promotion race will be back on.

I think a lot of people are still in mourning after losing so many players so far this season. Give them time to grieve and all will be well again :)

Shipsisourking
09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Palace need new supporters, lots of them, and fast, The club needs to be seen to be moving forwards rather than backwards. the catchment area for palace is huge, we need an enthusiastic forward thinking mega-rich guy to come along and realise palace's potential.

New LP
09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Bet some billionaire with more money than sense buys them though! One day, one day, one of these clubs will go under and I'll love it, just love it when it happens.

What does he mean 'one of these clubs'? We aren't Chelsea.

James
09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
A win on Saturday and everything will suddenly look a lot brighter.

pallet
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Is any club in the Champsionship in a good position?

Celestial Empire
09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
The more clubs write us off, the better. ;)

elgin eagle
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by New LP
Bet some billionaire with more money than sense buys them though! One day, one day, one of these clubs will go under and I'll love it, just love it when it happens.

What does he mean 'one of these clubs'? We aren't Chelsea.

Exactly. Unless Pasties n Cider was talking about a club that gets taken over by a billionaire, who then decides to subsequently pull out.

Even then, its still not fair for the majority of fans of that club, who probably never wanted the billionaire owner in the first place.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by James
A win on Saturday and everything will suddenly look a lot brighter. You've just put the mockers on it you bugger! ;)

steve hail
09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Who wants to win all the time anyway? Life isn't like that. Palace is like life. The odd high point, lots of disappointments, and good training to become a stoic. I don't see how Man Utd fans can really enjoy a win.

sydnsteve
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by James
A win on Saturday and everything will suddenly look a lot brighter.

True. And any other result is unthinkable.

Beanie
11-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by cdm61
I think they've got us spot on - we are a sinking ship holed by the economic reef of the premiership - no ground, no money, and no chance of new players or a new buyer!
But that is a totally negative, and partly incorrect, view of the position. The ground is secured on a long lease with a buy option, a tremendous amount can happen before that becomes a significant worry - look what happened to Man City in a week, nobody would have predicted that. It needn't effect any buyer as owning the ground would simply boost the value of the club and mean they'd pay more. In fact it could make it easier to find a buyer, paying SJ Xm now and buying the ground for Ym in a few years may well be more attractive than having to stump up the combined value now. There is no indication we have "no money", little money certainly, but despite the abridged press reports to create a better story NW has said more than once that we DON'T need to sell, but that it would make sense to try to move on players not in his plans. Using a mix of cash and Bosman we've brought in 10 players over the summer, all the time having "no money". Even if we are now at the extent of our cash that's not bad. We are also riding a production line of young talent from the Academy. It won't carry on quite like this, but there are a few still emerge such as Da Silva and Sekkajja, so it's looking pretty good for a while longer. As for a buyer, clearly some truth in that one, but SJ isn't going to just walk away. He'll either take less than he'd hoped or hang around a while longer. The fact that he is looking to sell is not a problem to the team.

The only thing that is wrong is that the performance on the pitch is not what would be hoped, but there's plenty of time to sort that out. A few more points and all the other stuff won't be a concern.

Beanie
11-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Forever9
I think it's worrying times ahead, only thing that does worry me if we have a Stockport situation on our hands, i can't see enough spirit to beat it this time without Morrison and DOug
Try watching the game again - there was spirit from 11 men that day, not from two and there would be again. Times move on, players move on only the fans remain.