PDA

View Full Version : Speroni seeking improvements

ZOHAR
09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
CRYSTAL Palace keeper Julian Speroni swept the board with the Player of the Year awards last season - but no-one can accuse the Argentian shotstopper of resting on his laurels.

The 29-year-old from Buenos Aires was the outstanding performer for the Eagles, turning in some inspiring performances between the posts as the South Londoners clinched a play-off place on the final day of the campaign.

But Speroni is looking to be even better for Neil Warnock’s men as they aim to recover from another shaky start and mount a promotion push.

He said: "The fans are going to expect me to do the same or even better and I demand that of myself.

"After waiting a long time for my chance at the club it was amazing to get the awards.

"But hopefully one of the lads up front will be named the player of the season after scoring 30 goals, because I want to play in the Premier League.

"It’s one of the biggest leagues in the world and I would gladly swap my award for promotion."

For the full interview get Friday's South London Press.

GodstoneEagle
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
our best player by far

<_tece_>
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I was there at Loftus Road, some glorious day circa August '04...

"Sperone-eeee, Wooaahhhooo....
Sperone-eeee, Wooaahhhooo....
'e's got a shit 'aircut,
'e's keepin' Palace up!"

He's come a long way since then (though I have always been a huge fan). Hopefully he'll be taking Palace up this season.

P.S. Paul Furlong... what a goal.

TurkeyTwizzler
10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I wish he would shave his hair off again. Remember everyone thought we had a new keeper that game!

What a studmuffin.

phowar.

David
10-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I remember that game last season against QPR at home when they ripped us to shreads and Speroni made at least seven World Class saves. We drew the game 1-1 and that was the start of the turn around under Warnock.

People go on about Hudson, but he was pretty poor last season and his blushes were saved more than a few times by Speroni. Much like AJ in 2004, if it wasn't for Speroni we would be in League one now.

pauldrulez
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by <_tece_>
I was there at Loftus Road, some glorious day circa August '04...

"Sperone-eeee, Wooaahhhooo....
Sperone-eeee, Wooaahhhooo....
'e's got a shit 'aircut,
'e's keepin' Palace up!"

He's come a long way since then (though I have always been a huge fan). Hopefully he'll be taking Palace up this season.

P.S. Paul Furlong... what a goal. QPR werent in the Premiership then were they?

Owngoal
10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
What I like about the interview with Julian is that he is not content to rest on his laurals and he is also clearly a real team player. Others could learn from him and his dedication in training.

FromSelhurst
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
sounds like he wouldnt mind a move if we dont go up.

ZOHAR
10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Julian Speroni insists moral is still good in the Palace squad despite their poor start to the season.

The Argentine keeper believes it is too early for people to press the panic button with the Eagles still awaiting their first win of the season.

He said: ”Moral is good, it’s only four games played and we played against four good teams and one of them we played the whole second half with nine men.

“It’s early doors. I think we have enough here to do well this season and we have to carry on and play as we can play.

“Of course you want to win every game but there are no worries. We have to sort things out and start winning games but it’s going to come.”

Palace conceded four in the league for the first time since November 2006 away at Reading 11 days ago, including three from corners, a problem Speroni realises needs rectifying.

He said: “That’s something that can’t happen and it didn’t happen before to us. It was a bad day at the office but it’s nothing that we can’t sort out.

“We’ve been working on every aspect though. We’ve been playing 11 v 11 with different tactics, different things, different ways to play but we have to work on everything not just because we concede three from corners just work all the time on corners.”

Carl Fletcher, Nick Carle, Sean Scannell, Victor Moses and Lee Hills have all been away on international duty this past week and Speroni admitted it is sometimes difficult to have players missing.

He said: “We’ve had a couple of players away and it is a bit difficult because you want to work on some aspects of the game and when you need a player they are not here.

“But they have to go and play for their countries too. It’s good for them to be there.”

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/eagleeye/eaglesnews/3659965.Speroni_confident_of_turnaround/

eagles #1
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by pauldrulez
QPR werent in the Premiership then were they? Friendly.

pauldrulez
10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Ah, ok. Thought I had missed a Carling Cup game or something.

eagleforlife
11-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
Julian Speroni insists moral is still good in the Palace squad despite their poor start to the season.

The Argentine keeper believes it is too early for people to press the panic button with the Eagles still awaiting their first win of the season.

He said: ”Moral is good, it’s only four games played and we played against four good teams and one of them we played the whole second half with nine men.

“It’s early doors. I think we have enough here to do well this season and we have to carry on and play as we can play.

“Of course you want to win every game but there are no worries. We have to sort things out and start winning games but it’s going to come.”

Palace conceded four in the league for the first time since November 2006 away at Reading 11 days ago, including three from corners, a problem Speroni realises needs rectifying.

He said: “That’s something that can’t happen and it didn’t happen before to us. It was a bad day at the office but it’s nothing that we can’t sort out.

“We’ve been working on every aspect though. We’ve been playing 11 v 11 with different tactics, different things, different ways to play but we have to work on everything not just because we concede three from corners just work all the time on corners.”

Carl Fletcher, Nick Carle, Sean Scannell, Victor Moses and Lee Hills have all been away on international duty this past week and Speroni admitted it is sometimes difficult to have players missing.

He said: “We’ve had a couple of players away and it is a bit difficult because you want to work on some aspects of the game and when you need a player they are not here.

“But they have to go and play for their countries too. It’s good for them to be there.”

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/eagleeye/eaglesnews/3659965.Speroni_confident_of_turnaround/

Thought Nick Carle wasn't called into the squad?

oz_da II
11-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Carle wasn't in the squad, looks like lazy journalism.