PDA

View Full Version : Watson: Still On Good Terms With The Gaffer

Andrews Express
11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Still on good terms with the gaffer

I'm not doing too badly at the moment but it was a strange summer for me. It has been a strange start to the season as well.

I havenít been playing, which is difficult to take but these things happen in football. I want to play for Palace and hopefully I will start getting those opportunities, starting this Saturday against Swansea.

I feel good but the only way to get match fitness is by actually playing matches. I havenít had that opportunity this season but I train hard every day. Hopefully I can start playing a few matches now.

Me and the gaffer have had a number of chats and I know how he feels. He knows I want to play games and I am hoping to play a part this weekend. Our relationship is still good Ė even if people might expect it to be a bit frosty. That's not the case at all. It is as good as ever and nothing has changed.

I hope that my relationship with the fans stays that way too. I hope that they won't give me a rough time. I want them to know that whenever I put the Palace shirt on I will always give 100 per cent. That will never change. It would be nice if they can understand that.

It hasnít been the best start to the season results-wise. We haven't won a game yet. But it's early days and there is still a lot of football to be played. Going back to last season we were by the bottom of the table just before Christmas, and then we managed to get into the play-offs. No-one thought that was going to happen, so no-one is panicking. It can take time but hopefully we can get three points this weekend.

Thanks for visiting my site, I'll be back soon with more. Ben.

http://www.icons.com/watson/diary.html?11.9.08

UEAgle
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM

UEAgle
11-09-2008, 01:44 PM
A focussed Ben Watson will be a huge asset for us.

Trist
11-09-2008, 01:51 PM
He's saying the right things,

There will cetainly be people that turn up and boo him... but hopefully those of us backing him will drown them out.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Watson: "I want to play for Palace"

That's all you need to know. ;)

:lux: :love: :lux:

Well done Ben. Perfect time to speak.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Watson: "Whenever I put the Palace shirt on I will always give 100 per cent. That will never change."

TurkeyTwizzler
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I can lie too to make people like me again.

Not a dig at Ben, just a general thought. I for one am quite glad to see him back around the place.

davematt
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
If we want to start getting some decent results, we START Ben Watson. A midfield of him and Carle will suddenly improve the team greatly IMO.

kolinkins
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
The team wont improve because Ben is in it - but it wont get worse either. The team will improve when our new spine (McCarthy, Carle, Lee) settle in.

<_tece_>
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Ben got a big cheer for being involved at the last home game.

And if anyone's glad that Ben is back, it's me. He will improve our 'game' immeasurably.

P.S. "I want to play for Palace... until next season. Then I want to go to QPR." - Come one Ben, please stay!

davematt
11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
The team wont improve because Ben is in it - but it wont get worse either. The team will improve when our new spine (McCarthy, Carle, Lee) settle in.

Absolute rubbish.

Adding a top class Championship midfielder back into our side WONT improve us? Blimey...

kolinkins
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Absolute rubbish.

Adding a top class Championship midfielder back into our side WONT improve us? Blimey...

Not when he is replacing another top class CCC midfielder. It's not like he's coming in for Kennedy, is it?

johnbush
11-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by TurkeyTwizzler
I can lie too to make people like me again.

Not a dig at Ben...
No, of course it isn't.:rolleyes:

CPFC_flake
11-09-2008, 03:45 PM
who launched the scathing attack in the comments?!

PJJY
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
If we want to start getting some decent results, we START Ben Watson. A midfield of him and Carle will suddenly improve the team greatly IMO.

Didn't really work against Leeds..

GloverUK
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by <_tece_>

P.S. "I want to play for Palace... until next season. Then I want to go to QPR." - Come one Ben, please stay!

lets get promotion and maybe there will be no need to go

Barbara4003
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't know why any of you hang on to his words. He's hardly going to say anything else, is he?

I'm not knocking him but these sort of blogs are a total waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Not when he is replacing another top class CCC midfielder. It's not like he's coming in for Kennedy, is it?

No. He's replacing a Premiership midfielder. He'll still improve us for 70 out of the 90 mins

Plus he'll give us improved options with free-kicks and set-pieces.

Crucially though, he'll improve our shape.

I think we should be looking for at least 65% possession against Swansea, and increased ammunition for the strikers. Plus hopefully he'll give Derry the defensive support he so obviously needs.

Kevan Woz Awful
11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Andrews Express
Still on good terms with the gaffer......I want to play for Palace..........http://www.icons.com/watson/diary.html?11.9.08

But only until I move to QPR on my terms. I'll need to be match fit when I move or I won't get straight into the QPR side.

Billyd
11-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Ben sign a 1 year deal will keep everyone happy, you can still have your move in the summer aswell

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
Ben sign a 1 year deal will keep everyone happy, you can still have your move in the summer aswell

why does he need to sign a one year deal? that would take him through to next sept. he already has a contract until june. if it goes past july we won't get any compensation if he moves.

I'd quite like a transfer fee/compensation.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
btw presumably we'll be in a position to offer him an even better (albeit shorter) contract at the end of the season cos he'll have done a season on 4k a week istead of say 8k a week. So we could offer him 2 years at 10k a week at the end of the season.

Barbara4003
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
btw presumably we'll be in a position to offer him an even better (albeit shorter) contract at the end of the season cos he'll have done a season on 4k a week istead of say 8k a week. So we could offer him 2 years at 10k a week at the end of the season.

Have you ever considered a career as a stand up comedian? You would do quite well I think ;)

Jay_Palace
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Watson: "I want to play for Palace"

That's all you need to know. ;)

:lux: :love: :lux:

Well done Ben. Perfect time to speak.

Of course he doesn't want to play for Palace. He wants this QPR move and it's just rotten luck from his pov that the move didn't materialise over the summer. He won't sign a long term deal here, so it is abundantly clear that he would rather be elsewhere.

Seeing how he is still here I personally would play him, but your ott fawning over Watson is misplaced.

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Of course he doesn't want to play for Palace. He wants this QPR move and it's just rotten luck from his pov that the move didn't materialise over the summer. He won't sign a long term deal here, so it is abundantly clear that he would rather be elsewhere.

Seeing how he is still here I personally would play him, but your ott fawning over Watson is misplaced.

why would you play him if he "doesn't want to play for palace"? Do you think he'll put in enough effort?

glaziers fan
11-09-2008, 04:37 PM

I don't think it's rotten luck at all from his pov. I think he's quite pleased about it. He'll get an even better contract in January or next June.

If he wanted out of Palace at all costs he would have gone by now.

I'm sure all the players would like to go to Man City but that doesn't mean they don't want to play for Palace. Players don't want to just play for one club. Doesn't mean they are unhappy playing where they are at the moment

JAT

kolinkins
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Umm, OK

Anyway GF, you promised not to wank over Ben until post-Swansea. I see you couldnt control yourself.

Jay_Palace
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
why would you play him if he "doesn't want to play for palace"? Do you think he'll put in enough effort?

If he still wants his "big" move away, then it will do him little good giving us less than 100% on the pitch.

cpfcfan1
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Why should the club offer him a better deal after he turned down a good deal already?

Adlerhorst
11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by cpfcfan1
Why should the club offer him a better deal after he turned down a good deal already? I'm not saying we should but if all clubs took that approach they'd all lose their good players.

glaziers fan
If he still wants his "big" move away, then it will do him little good giving us less than 100% on the pitch.

So if it will do him little good giving us less than 100%, why would he not want to play for Palace??

I don't understand. Yes, he wants to move in the future. But at the moment he, and I am quoting Ben here, "WANTS TO PLAY FOR PALACE".

He hasn't said he wants to play for Palace FOREVER has he?

Sambuccy
Originally posted by cpfcfan1
Why should the club offer him a better deal after he turned down a good deal already?

Exactly, he was offered a contract that would have made him the best paid player at the club and that wasn't good enough.

I like Ben but no one player should be allowed to hold the club at ransom. He's a quality player at this level so if he puts in the effort I don't see why we shouldn't play him whilst we still have him.

Sambuccy
11-09-2008, 04:44 PM
So if it will do him little good giving us less than 100%, why would he not want to play for Palace??

I don't understand. Yes, he wants to move in the future. But at the moment he, and I am quoting Ben here, "WANTS TO PLAY FOR PALACE".

To be fair, he has little choice if he wants to jump ship in the next transfer window. Very likely to be a case of saying what the fans want to hear.

I'm not falling for it, but will support him whilst he still wears a Palace shirt.

Jay_Palace
11-09-2008, 04:49 PM

I don't regard spurning a new contract and a substantial pay rise as the actions of someone who genuinely wants to play for this football club. Indeed, he says he wants to, but what choice does he have? He remains contracted to Crystal Palace and will play when the manager sees fit. Now that the window is closed, his wishes are of little concern and should he refuse to display a sufficient work ethic/hunger, then I would expect the appropriate action to be taken by the management.

He wants a move away and is simply trying to save face by dishing out the platitudes. It's not working with me and it seems the majority of posters on here either.

WarnockLeg
11-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Totally agree. He needs to play just as good as last season, if not better, to get a quality move. This will benefit us greatly.

David
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Absolute rubbish.

'Top class'?, I know it's fashionable on here to compare Watson to the likes of Fabregas and Zidane but in the real world he is just a very good Championship player, nothing more.

waddoneagle
11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by David
'Top class'?, I know it's fashionable on here to compare Watson to the likes of Fabregas and Zidane but in the real world he is just a very good Championship player, nothing more.

That is the right answer:p

budgie
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't regard spurning a new contract and a substantial pay rise as the actions of someone who genuinely wants to play for this football club. Indeed, he says he wants to, but what choice does he have? He remains contracted to Crystal Palace and will play when the manager sees fit. Now that the window is closed, his wishes are of little concern and should he refuse to display a sufficient work ethic/hunger, then I would expect the appropriate action to be taken by the management.

He wants a move away and is simply trying to save face by dishing out the platitudes. It's not working with me and it seems the majority of posters on here either.

ditto

Pistol Knight
11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
He's just saying what he thinks the fans want to hear, so he don't get abuse, he wants to leave end of..........yes he will give 100% or he will be back in the reserves, and going nowhere, even he's not that stupid (is he?)

Why does he have a diary on ICONS - the official site of the worlds leading footballers!!!!! hmmmmmmm

It must be affecting team morale in some way, some players must think, why is he in the team, when he wants to leave (I would be)

On the bench yes, regular NO

9Freedman9
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope we have withdrawn the contract offer that we offered him.

sydnsteve
12-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
I don't know why any of you hang on to his words. He's hardly going to say anything else, is he?

I'm not knocking him but these sort of blogs are a total waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

True, but did you not post elsewhere about how TS had said he was sad to leave Palace? Why beieve one and not the other?

Barbara4003
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
True, but did you not post elsewhere about how TS had said he was sad to leave Palace? Why beieve one and not the other?

I did, but the difference is that was an interview with Tom and was a direct quote. Writing blogs could be done by anyone. Of course, Tom isn't going to say he was pleased to leave, but he could have just not said anything. :)

Thin on Top
12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Lip service, but glad to have him back in the side.

Did anyone beleive Robhino when he said he was so looking forward to playing for Man City ?

ian1509
12-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Sorry, but having seen the boy interviewed and spoken to him at Shirley Oaks Hospital in the past, there is no bloody way he wrote that rubbish. I can't believe just becasue some PR wally at the icons website writes some drivel you all wet yourselves.

Wants to play for Palace my arse, he is gutted he hasn't gone to play for the ugly brothers at QPR.

If you don't want to wear the shirt then go forth and multiply ginger

BLAGATICKET
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Look, why get wound up by this?
It would be a dream for any of us on here to play for Palace, to the real players ...It's a job!! Simple as that, if I want to leave my job I leave,I'll do what I have to do whilst I'm there and then I walk out, It's no different for Ben Watson. We might not like it, but thats how it is. Accept it!!

Thin on Top
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BLAGATICKET
Look, why get wound up by this?
It would be a dream for any of us on here to play for Palace, to the real players ...It's a job!! Simple as that, if I want to leave my job I leave,I'll do what I have to do whilst I'm there and then I walk out, It's no different for Ben Watson. We might not like it, but thats how it is. Accept it!!

Could replace the definition of Football in the dictionary with this post.

rainbow_child
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ian1509
Sorry, but having seen the boy interviewed and spoken to him at Shirley Oaks Hospital in the past, there is no bloody way he wrote that rubbish. I can't believe just becasue some PR wally at the icons website writes some drivel you all wet yourselves.

Wants to play for Palace my arse, he is gutted he hasn't gone to play for the ugly brothers at QPR.

That just about sums it up mate I cant believe how people are creaming themselves about him being back in the squad when he clearly wants to fek Crystal Palace off & fill his bank balance up playing at the dizzy heights of championship footy with Q.P.R.

I guess when hes gone there in January for 500k people might see him in a different light :rolleyes:

glaziers fan
12-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by rainbow_child

I guess when hes gone there in January for 500k people might see him in a different light :rolleyes:

If he goes there in Jan for 500k I'd see Simon Jordan in a different light. It's not going to happen.

We'll be getting around £1m in the tribunal, so why take 500k in Jan? Hopefully we'll be challenging for automatic promotion by then, and Watson will be making noises about wanting to sign a contract.

Are you a palace fan or do you just want the club to get rid of its best players?

kolinkins
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
We wouldnt get anywhere near £1m at tribunal. We've had too much return on our investment.

David
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
If he goes there in Jan for 500k I'd see Simon Jordan in a different light. It's not going to happen.

We'll be getting around £1m in the tribunal, so why take 500k in Jan? Hopefully we'll be challenging for automatic promotion by then, and Watson will be making noises about wanting to sign a contract.

Are you a palace fan or do you just want the club to get rid of its best players?

Have you been to any games this season?

I suspect if you had you would see that we need a lot more than Ben Watson coming back to make this season a success.

Just out of interest is Ben Watson your best player on Championship Manager or something?

Your last sentence is very poor to say the least.

Chobham Eagle
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
If only he hadn't missed that penalty...

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ian1509

:lux:

glaziers fan
12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by David
Have you been to any games this season?

I suspect if you had you would see that we need a lot more than Ben Watson coming back to make this season a success.

Just out of interest is Ben Watson your best player on Championship Manager or something?

Your last sentence is very poor to say the least.

1. Yes I have
2. I agree. It's a team game and it needs an effective forward line not full of journeymen as well. Lee, Scannell and Moses have more than enough about them to do serious damage.
3. I don't play Championship Manager
4. It seems there are a lot of fans who want us to get rid of our best players, that's all.

Barbara4003
12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
It seems there are a lot of fans who want us to get rid of our best players, that's all.

Unfortunately, it's not down to the fans whether a player goes or stays. It's down to the player and the manager. :)

Always an Eagle
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
If he plays his heart out in every match til the end of the season then I'll be happy, he's wearing the shirt which is more than bostock is & he hasn't given the fans the finger when being booed either.

Watson has been at the club since the academy so we should cut him some slack.

If he'd come out & said that the next contract he'd sign would affectively commit him to what 28/29 (almost his whole career at one club), & that is something he wants to wait til the end of the season to decide on then that (to me) would be fair enough but player honesty is a rare event.

Can someone tell me the difference between watson playing for us, contracted to us, one of our home grown who might be thinking about leaving & sinclair who we really all know would not have been with us (again possibly) if his squad wasn't so congested & he would prefer them over us in a shot.

Ian
12-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Some people seem to think that Ben should have some loyalty to Palace.

Sorry, but entitlement to expect that stopped when hordes of people booed him when he was trying to establish himself in the team.

Loyalty is a two-way street, too many Palace fans have shown Ben no loyalty for us to have any right to expect loyalty from him.

Crunchie
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Always an Eagle
If he plays his heart out in every match til the end of the season then I'll be happy, he's wearing the shirt which is more than bostock is & he hasn't given the fans the finger when being booed either.

Watson has been at the club since the academy so we should cut him some slack.

So would I if he gives 100%

player honesty is a rare event.

Which is why i am rapidly loosing faith and interest in football in general.

Can someone tell me the difference between watson playing for us, contracted to us, one of our home grown who might be thinking about leaving & sinclair who we really all know would not have been with us (again possibly) if his squad wasn't so congested & he would prefer them over us in a shot.

Yes, one wants to play for us and can't wait to get away, so his heart isn't in it, and the other needs to prove himself that he is capable of playing for the first team from the club he is loaned from by performing well for the loaned club

To me that would bring a difference of attitude and that to me is the most important thing.

I think Watson should play (or at least be in the squad) and gave it his all for the next 3 months but on the other hand he should have in mind that he has got to play through a few peoples opinions that he doesn't deserve to be playing at all.

Gooders
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Ian

Sorry, but entitlement to expect that stopped when hordes of people booed him when he was trying to establish himself in the team.

In which particular universe did this happen?

kolinkins
12-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ian

Loyalty is a two-way street, too many Palace fans have shown Ben no loyalty for us to have any right to expect loyalty from him.

Has he had any stick since missing a penalty which cost us a chance of promotion? no, and rightly so. We've stuck by him, in hindsight, more so than he deserved.

<_tece_>
13-09-2008, 12:14 AM
We've stuck by him, in hindsight, more so than he deserved.

Not sure I agree with this.

Not saying I don't, just not sure...

philsick
13-09-2008, 08:05 AM
i think this debate is pathetic really.BVen watson has come through the academy and given us many years of service.Lets face it ,since we were relegated,apart from the end of last season,the football and atmosphere around palace has been pretty shit.At the beginning of last season,ben said he wanted to playing the premiership and hoped it would be with palace.We didn't go up and his move to the premiership,or even his hope of going to QPR,hasn't panned out.

He's still a palace player and probably the best we've got.We desperately need to start winning games and his inclusion,will help no end.

the digger
13-09-2008, 08:24 AM
And, don't forget that the terms of his next contract will be greatly affected by the fee that the club is asking for him. An extra £500,000 would equate to £2,500 a week over 4 years. Perhaps Jordan/Warnock's asking price has done as much to scupper the quick resolution of the situation as Ben's wage demands?