PDA

View Full Version : What type of player would be your priority?

Ian Hart
22-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Within a few weeks of coming in, Francis identified the most glaring weaknesses in our team - we badly needed a central defender to play with Popovic, and neither Smith or Gray as full-backs were adequate either defensively or going forward - and took the necessary action. It can't be just co-incidence that since Symons, Flemming and Granville joined Popovic, we've conceded just 1 goal in their 3 games together, and in each of the last two the fullbacks have provided an assist.

And now, according to Jordan, we're looking to move on from there and further enhance the team with a striker and a midfielder. What would be your first priority out of the various options?

1. Quality central midfielder - This would be my personal preference. I can't help but think that if we had a real playmaker to keep making the chances for our two excellent strikers, along with the solid defence, we would beat most teams. It would be great to have someone of Berkovic's quality; put him behind our strikers and I reckon promotion would be assured. Ok, we won't get someone quite that good. But what a shame funds (4m?) have been wasted on the likes of Pollock, Black, Rubins and Hopkin, none of whom are likely to feature much. If those funds could have been added to whatever's now available, Francis would really have had a wide choice available. However, despite my preference, I acknowledge people could have sound reasons for choosing one of the other options as the priority:-

2. A wide midfielder or winger - so that a 4-4-2 formation could be used to better effect.

3. Quality striker - To play alongside the current two in a formation with three strikers.

4. Cheap or loan striker - To provide cover for the other two, and to be used occasionally alongside them as necessary. One advantage of making this the priority for the moment, is that it would save the available funds for the moment, until Francis is more certain where the next improvement is needed.

Which is your priority for the moment?

Tony Humphreys
22-01-2002, 01:55 PM
It has to be a creative midfielder. We have all the running and tackling in the world at present but no-one who can really stamp their authority on a game (when did we ever?) and consistently create opportunities for the front men. A third striker would be second choice but unless we play with 3 up front, and I'm not sure how wise that is, the new man would only be a bench warmer until Doug/Clint were injured or rested. In principle, I'm not keen on loan players; although Cole, Phelan and Staunton were successful, most of the rest have either not been up to it, or simply not up FOR it. Even if they are any good they're only a short term solution to be used when injuries strike.

Jimbo ?
22-01-2002, 02:26 PM
A young pair of strikers who are happy to make sub apperences but when needed to make the step up for a spell in the first team to change it about
Ideally we need 4 strikers so clint doug and 2 young strikers who are proven in D2 and D3

Walrus
22-01-2002, 04:25 PM
A quality central midfielder for me.

Someone who can go and get the ball, then do something constructive (or even incisive) with it.

And no, Kirovski doesn't fit the bill. This new player needs to be happy in the middle of a 4-4-2. Ideally, someone with a consistent level of performance equal to Aki's best games would do nicely. Surely that level of player wouldn't break the bank.

zonin2000
22-01-2002, 04:35 PM
quality central midfielder? hayden mullins.

but yes we do need back up for that position (brown?), although i do think that back up for the front two is the priority.

let me say it again:

black (beckham) aki (keane) mullins (veron) gray (giggs)

if they are all on form thenwe are unstoppable.

HappyLarry
22-01-2002, 05:56 PM
When Tottenham get knocked out of the cup tomorrow night(?) and prehaps get some players back from injury, what about trying for Tim Sherwood as the quality midfielder we need?

CHERRY TREE BRB
22-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Personally i feel we should try to sign a young division 3 striker who would be quite prepared to sit on the bench and wait for a chance to come if Clinton or Dougie were injured. Chris Greenacre is available at around 500,000 from Mansfield and Nathan Ellington about 1 million from Bristol Rovers. Signing a Premiership fringe striker is ok in theory but they may as well stay where they are as opposed to being a sub another league down

biggus mickus
22-01-2002, 08:46 PM
Someone to grab the game by the nuts, in the midfield.

zonin2000
22-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by biggus mickus
Someone to grab the game by the nuts, in the midfield.

vinnie jones?

charltonhater
22-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
And now, according to Jordan, we're looking to move on from there and further enhance the team with a striker and a midfielder. What would be your first priority out of the various options?

1. Quality central midfielder - This would be my personal preference. I can't help but think that if we had a real playmaker to keep making the chances for our two excellent strikers, along with the solid defence, we would beat most teams. It would be great to have someone of Berkovic's quality; put him behind our strikers and I reckon promotion would be assured. Ok, we won't get someone quite that good. But what a shame funds (4m?) have been wasted on the likes of Pollock, Black, Rubins and Hopkin, none of whom are likely to feature much. If those funds could have been added to whatever's now available, Francis would really have had a wide choice available. However, despite my preference, I acknowledge people could have sound reasons for choosing one of the other options as the priority:-

2. A wide midfielder or winger - so that a 4-4-2 formation could be used to better effect.

3. Quality striker - To play alongside the current two in a formation with three strikers.

4. Cheap or loan striker - To provide cover for the other two, and to be used occasionally alongside them as necessary. One advantage of making this the priority for the moment, is that it would save the available funds for the moment, until Francis is more certain where the next improvement is needed.

Which is your priority for the moment?

Number four but only if it is not on loan.

Ian Hart
24-01-2002, 01:29 AM
I looks as though Francis may be coming up with a fifth option.

A non-quality expensive striker to play alongside the current two

:confused:

LittlePinkStar
24-01-2002, 01:49 AM
We need about 3 midfielders (1 or 2 for the starting line up) and 2 other strikers. Jason Koumas, Chris Greenacre, Nathan Ellington, Matthew Spring and Matty Taylor for me. These players would represent us planning for the future and would get us some class players who definately have the ability to become excellent talents. Taylor and Spring are both on Bosmans at the end of the season and would cost us compensation only. Ellington and Greenacre you could get both for 1.5m with something linked to appearances maybe and Koumas would cost 2-3m. Not that much considering that these players have the potential to be about 5m each in a couple of seasons or so.

Walrus
24-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Oh yes PinkStar.....Matthew Spring !

This lad would be an absolute top signing in my book. Good now, can only get better playing at a higher level and alongside better players. I'm sure Luton couldn't afford to turn down something in the region of a million for him.

Sleeping Giant
24-01-2002, 03:52 AM
I'm amazed that at the time of writing 70 odd per cent of us think that a quality midfield player is the priority. If one of Dougie or Clinton get injured we will be average again with no striking back up. The cupboard is BARE without either of these two whilst we do have at least some sort of alternative midfield options ie something better than none at all. I want a midfielder too but it isn't the very highest priority.

Banger
24-01-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Walrus
Oh yes PinkStar.....Matthew Spring !

This lad would be an absolute top signing in my book. Good now, can only get better playing at a higher level and alongside better players. I'm sure Luton couldn't afford to turn down something in the region of a million for him. My mate is a Luton season ticket holder. He tells me that Matt Spring is well overated. On the other hand the boy Taylor is class and would be a good signing. He's a quality left back who give Granville a run for his money to keep his place. Also my brother Nick would be well chuffed as he taught Taylor at primary school in Abingdon. He also ran the footie team and the young Taylor was the man! Have heard that he's about to sign for Southampton though!

Ian Hart
25-01-2002, 05:25 PM
It's not looking as if the fan's choice of priority - a quality midfielder - is going to be the first signing, but that doesn't mean that Francis doesn't consider it the priority. Sometimes you have to wait to fulfill your prioroty until the opportunity presents itself.

Or have I just written gibberish?

Ian Hart
31-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Any change in views after Tuesday night?

I think it's interesting to draw a comparison with Man City, currently racing away at the top now. I reckon Palace have superior strikers than City. And since the recent additions (assuming they all recover) I believe our defence is on a par with theirs. The only difference is in midfield where Berkovic and Benarbia are infinitely better than anything we have. Indeed, the quality of distribution they provide to their strikers make Wanchope and Goater seem much better than they actually are.

Surely, if we had just one player of that ilk able to distribute that sort of quality ball to Freedman and Morrison, we would be a significantly improved team.

CK
31-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Given the fall out from the Cov game can we get a complete defence on loan please.:sob:

BUNGLE
31-01-2002, 03:06 PM
I can't believe people think we will get out of this division with 2 strikers, we need a third.

DiscoDaveyf
04-02-2002, 08:16 PM
We definitely need a goalscoring midfielder, Doug and Clint are doing a fantastic job up front but then after them you have the likes of Jovan and Aki on about four or five goals each. We need a midfielder that is going to bag at least 10-15 a season and create more than just a hoof upfield. Have no idea who to go for at the moment.... but hope we get a quality signing at least. maybe Merson could return to the capital to finish his career with Palace!

Ian Hart
05-02-2002, 06:02 PM
Nice to see no notice was taken of the overwhelming majority view. Nothing unusual there, though.

Fair enough, he's the Manager, and what do we know?

Perhaps a good quality midfielder will still be signed.

charltonhater
06-02-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
Nice to see no notice was taken of the overwhelming majority view. Nothing unusual there, though.

Fair enough, he's the Manager, and what do we know?

Perhaps a good quality midfielder will still be signed.

16% voted for quality striker. Didn't 16% also vote for Francis to be appointed manager?