PDA

View Full Version : Gregory quits Villa

trufan
24-01-2002, 11:46 PM
Surely another opportunity for Steve "itchy feet" Bruce. After all, as someone in my office has just pointed out, he's in the general area!

hong_kong_hg
24-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by trufan
Surely another opportunity for Steve "itchy feet" Bruce. After all, as someone in my office has just pointed out, he's in the general area!

Uh? Gregory quits Villa? What's he doing?

Kevin T
24-01-2002, 11:49 PM
With both Al from Bromley and John Gregory in the Friday Job Club, how will we tell the difference?

hong_kong_hg
24-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Well I know Villa haven't been setting the world alight recently, but personally I thought Gregory has been doing fine given the challenge of Ellis... seems that all Brum clubs are a joke then.

I agree then.. what price Bruce as the new boss HA HA!

Riccardo
24-01-2002, 11:58 PM
GREGORY QUITS AS VILLA BOSS

Thursday January 24 2002

John Gregory has resigned as manager of Aston Villa "due to the pressures of the job".

Gregory had been under pressure from fans and chairman Doug Ellis after Villa slipped to the fringes of a European spot.

Ellis said: "John's resignation is sad. It was most unexpected but has been amicable."

Football 365.com

selhurst
25-01-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Kevin T
With both Al from Bromley and John Gregory in the Friday Job Club, how will we tell the difference?

Now that's going to be dificult. What are your views on Name Badges guys?

trufan
25-01-2002, 12:10 AM
A grim thought has just occurred. Don't s'pose TF will be tempted to put in for the job so he can REALLY stick it up his ex-chums on the Brum (spit) board? :(

zonin2000
25-01-2002, 12:29 AM
stuart gray gets sacked by southampton, and now ends up in (temporary) charge of villa! it's a funny old game...

also in temporary charge- john deehan. the man that steve bruce replaced at wigan?

sydney eagle
25-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by hong_kong_hg
Well I know Villa haven't been setting the world alight recently, but personally I thought Gregory has been doing fine given the challenge of Ellis... .

I agree totally,must be a nightmare working with a knob like Ellis

pedro
25-01-2002, 01:17 AM
What an ideal opportunity for the bendy nosed c**t. After all he has taken Birmingham as high as he can this season and just like Palace, once he realises there is only one way to go (down) it is time to look for a new challange. He will not have to move house, his children will not have to move schools, and it will allow him to kill the next 4 months until the Manure job becomes available (yeh dream on !) Expect him to be unveiled in the next couple of days. Go on Deadly Doug go and steal your local rivals manager, oh how we would laugh !

sydney eagle
25-01-2002, 01:19 AM
already in discussion

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18301

Al From Bromley
25-01-2002, 01:23 AM
No truth in the rumour that Francis is interested then? :)

Officer Dibble
25-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Check the Villa calendar.... who is Mr February ??

Batsta
25-01-2002, 01:30 AM
"I am crystal Palace manager, until told otherwise"

Anerley Eagle
25-01-2002, 01:38 AM
I wonder what the odds are on Bruce becoming the manager.

RDSdaEAGLE
25-01-2002, 02:07 AM
I feel slightly sorry for Gregory.

When you take sales into account, he's only spent 4m pounds...for a club that can afford to invest in a new main stand (one that isn't needed when you take their attendances into account) it's quite unfair on Gregory.

Daniel_Nash
25-01-2002, 02:12 AM
Doug Ellis is a bit of a tosser.

On the Sky Sports programme for Arsenal vs Villa, they had Ellis in the studio and showed him (and us) a videoed interview with Gregory talking about a continued lack of available funds. Don't think it went down too well.

Thing is with Villa though, Gregory would have had to sell to sign new players. Look who they have... Steve Stone, Paul Merson, David Ginola, Peter Schmeichel for example... all over 30 and hardly going to fetch the sort of price needed for replacements. They have Gareth Barry, Hadji, Hendrie and Angel, but why would you sell your prized assets to buy replacements for them. You'd never get anywhere!

I have a feeling Doug Ellis will be going within the next... ooh, say 2 seasons. He'll get like Alan Sugar (sorry, SIR Alan Sugar) and be fed up of the personal abuse.

Chris Fisher
25-01-2002, 02:22 AM
I do feel sorry for John Gregory now.... have you heard Stan Collymore mouthing off (which he does far more consistently well than he did playing well) on Sky.... doing the double edged, wishing Gregory well etc but criticising him in the same breadth...

AJ
25-01-2002, 03:54 AM
I am amazed, but, Bruce is even quoted in the odds!

Bet 365 betting: 5/2 Graydon, 7/2 Van Gaal, Graham, 10 Venables, 14 Schmeichel, Megson, 16 Withe, Curbishley, Rioch, 20 Deehan, S Gray, Platt, 25 Merson, A Gray, McInally, 33 I Taylor, 66 Spink, 100 Bruce.

Hill's betting: 4 Graham, 5 Bryan Robson, 6 Rioch 7 Evans 8 Venables 10 Curbishley & Bruce 14 Paul

sydney eagle
25-01-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by AJ
100 Bruce.

lets all get rich :o

budgie
25-01-2002, 11:18 AM
With the hatred between Villa and Brum, I'd have to say Bruce going there would be a non starter, but if it did happen he wouldn't last a week before a psycho brum got him.

Please let it happen.

Dobbo
25-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Didn't Gregory play for Derby ?
I bet he'd been offered the manager's job there before he resigned,
or am I just cynical. The next week will tell.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-01-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Didn't Gregory play for Derby ?
I bet he'd been offered the manager's job there before he resigned,
or am I just cynical. The next week will tell.

He sure did - last club he played for. Working for Ellis must have been a right pain though.

George Graham :vader: the only man for the Villa job....

OutOfBounds
25-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Apparently Bruce is a 10-1 favorite to take over the Aston Villa job. Why anyone would keep giving this guy anything now is beyond me. Wouldn't it be funny if he walked out on Birmingham too? :o

Lords Eagle
25-01-2002, 04:13 PM
According to the news this morning George Graham is favourite, does anyone really think that Bruce would walk out of another club so soon? I don't think even that scumbag would do that, he would be even more of a laughing stock. However, he would be able to take Palace players there!

East-End Eagle
25-01-2002, 04:14 PM
He is 10-1, but by no means the favorite.

brighton_eagle
25-01-2002, 04:14 PM
10-1 for the favourite?!? Long odds. Apparently George Graham is at 4-1, which I would say makes him favourite.

James Simmo
25-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Think he is 100-1 and has nearly done his 3 month stint at a club so could worth a punch sorry I mean punt but then Jasper Carrot (Big B'ham fan) is 20,000-1

I think you might see Schmeichel as an outside bet.

Daddy Long
25-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Perhaps Mickey Adams might get a cheeky look in.

OutOfBounds
25-01-2002, 04:18 PM
sorry about the favorite thing, just had the word stuck in my head. still, can't believe that scum would be mentioned at all.

brighton_eagle
25-01-2002, 04:19 PM
The football365 poll has Stan Collymore leading the running with 72% of the vote.....

:D :D :D

What?
25-01-2002, 04:23 PM
I will love it if he goes as it proves he is scared of us beating him in the playoffs.

Feather
25-01-2002, 04:26 PM

Sporting Odds have Karren Brady at 69/1. :p

Strathclyde Eagle
25-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Had to laugh at this feedback on the BBC website:

Can't believe Gregory has gone it is a big mistake. The only thing that will make me feel better is if we get Terry Venables
Jon, England

Merton Eagle
25-01-2002, 04:36 PM
He would be popular with the blue half of Brum if he took that wouldn't he? I hope he takes the job. I doubt he'll get the offer but you never can tell with deadly Doug.

Merton Eagle
25-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Doug Ellis is a bit of a tosser.

On the Sky Sports programme for Arsenal vs Villa, they had Ellis in the studio and showed him (and us) a videoed interview with Gregory talking about a continued lack of available funds. Don't think it went down too well.

I saw that and couldn't agree more.

hellsbells
25-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Perhaps Mickey Adams might get a cheeky look in.

I thought that too :D

Dave
25-01-2002, 04:46 PM
According to William Hill, the runners and riders are....

2/1 George Graham
7/2 Louis Van Gaal
8/1 Bryan Robson
10/1 Joe Royle
11/1 David Platt
12/1 Ray Graydon;David Moyes; Harry Redknapp; Bruce Rioch; Graham Taylor;John Toshack;
14/1 Jim Smith; Jean Tigana 16 Alan Curbishley; Terry Venables. Hills also offer 33 Paul Merson; Peter Schmeichel;
250/1 David Ginola;
1000 Stan Collymore; 20,000/1 Jasper Carrott (there's always one isn't there...)

Fat Andy
25-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Everyone slags off Ellis, but Gregory has spent a fortune there, won bugger all and will carry on being a mid table team. No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Dave
According to William Hill, the runners and riders are....

...for Villa or the Derby? ;)

Sick Bucket
25-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Steve Bruce has declared an interest in the vacant position left by Gregory's recent departure, he is quoted as saying 'Im not really happy at Birmingham things have been dragging on a bit and perhaps a new challenge would do me good' he then went on to say 'Brady's a bit of minga close up and I don't really fancy it' adding 'to be totally honest it's a bit crap here and im not sure if this club is big enough for me'.

James Simmo
25-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Fat Andy
Everyone slags off Ellis, but Gregory has spent a fortune there, won bugger all and will carry on being a mid table team. No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

He has not spent that much at all, think it is about 8 million in 4 years. Bought V sold

Not that I am defending him because I thioght he stiched Pompey right up.

Fat Andy
25-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by James Simmo

He has not spent that much at all, think it is about 8 million in 4 years. Bought V sold

Not that I am defending him because I thioght he stiched Pompey right up.

Mellberg - 5.6 million, Alpay - 5.6 million, Boetang - 4.5 million, Ginola - 3million, Balaban - 6 million, Angel - 10 million, Stone - 5.5 million, Hadji - 2million + Joachim. they're just the ones I can think of and it adds up to a tad more than 8 million !!

Merton Eagle
25-01-2002, 07:08 PM

Mellberg - 5.6 million, Alpay - 5.6 million, Boetang - 4.5 million, Ginola - 3million, Balaban - 6 million, Angel - 10 million, Stone - 5.5 million, Hadji - 2million + Joachim. they're just the ones I can think of and it adds up to a tad more than 8 million !!

I think you're forgetting the sale of 12mill Dwight Yorke, plus what must be several others in the sold side of that equation. However, I'll add Paul Merson to the bought list.

Biglad
25-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
Steve Bruce has declared an interest in the vacant position left by Gregory's recent departure, he is quoted as saying 'Im not really happy at Birmingham things have been dragging on a bit and perhaps a new challenge would do me good' he then went on to say 'Brady's a bit of minga close up and I don't really fancy it' adding 'to be totally honest it's a bit crap here and im not sure if this club is big enough for me'.

cue 6 weeks later after ellis has appointed Bruce.

"i knew I should have listend to SJ. The blokes a c***!! Thats why I've just sacked him! :D :D

Farnboro' Eagle
25-01-2002, 07:16 PM

There was a thing in the Sun today talking about his transfer record, and it was something like a 20M deficit, which isn't that bad when you consider that O'leary has spent 90M, and both sides have won nothing!!

dagenham77
25-01-2002, 07:56 PM
I have heard from a reliable source that Curbishley is in for the job. The e-mail I received;

"I have spoken to my inside man at the Club and he has a 'very strong feeling' that the next Villa manager will be Alan Curbishley after the season has finished"

Make of it what you will but with some nice odds for this to happen, I'm going to put a punt on it.

James Simmo
25-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Farnboro' Eagle

There was a thing in the Sun today talking about his transfer record, and it was something like a 20M deficit, which isn't that bad when you consider that O'leary has spent 90M, and both sides have won nothing!!

Just did some maths and the beer must of made me miss 10 million as It works out to be 18 million

F'boro Eagle I used to live in Ash so not too far from you although now back in London

Sunny Fan
25-01-2002, 08:52 PM
This from a Villa mate (I joked about Bruce, he appears to have taken my comment at face-value. I'd put money on Bruce if the odds were a million to one; I missed out last time)

"Apparently it was an argument about the fact that Gregory went in for forlan for under 5 million last year only to be told by Ellis that he wasn't worth it - yet now Man U are seen as making a shrewd investment in him.

That and about 20 other deals Ellis has but the brakes on. ... I think Gregory had had enough - rumour has it that he's been favoured by bobby robson to take over at Newcastle until Shearrs ready to go into management.

Bruce is a no-no - lthough the West Brom Manager - Megson is in the frame"

PeterH
27-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by OutOfBounds
Apparently Bruce is a 10-1 favorite to take over the Aston Villa job. Why anyone would keep giving this guy anything now is beyond me. Wouldn't it be funny if he walked out on Birmingham too? :o

Very Very Funny. It would make my season.

I bet he wishes he had stayed at Palace a little longer and jumped for this one.

PeterH
27-01-2002, 11:24 PM
To the music of the old McCains Oven Chip advert..

We hope its Bruce, its Bruce....

Gooders
31-01-2002, 01:04 AM
OK - who can explain to me what went on with Gregory and Villa.

He leaves and we hear that he's "too stressed out" and a week later he takes over at poxy no-hopers Derby. Now I know Villa are an annoying club with a bigger opinion of themselves than they're entitled to but what gives?

Now today he's saying "I left on the best of terms and I've got no axe to grind with Doug Ellis".

Come on, there's got to be a scoop here -no one in their right mind leaves Villa and a possible European place for no-pride park and almost certain relegation do they?

kolinkins
31-01-2002, 10:44 PM
seems like a covered up sacking to me. ellis wanted to get shot of gregory, and to find neutral opinion, its masked as a resignation. why did he go to derby? - umm, first available job i suspect. otherwise, he would end up on the shelf like george graham.