PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunity?

Daddy Long
10-09-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/09/09/09/manual_123950.html&TEAMHD=premiership

This kid has been playing, and scoring, for Sutton Utd and before that Croydon. He was also in the Bromley academy where they played him at centre back.

I do wonder why we don't get in there first with these local players. I emailed the club about him a couple of years ago and again recently but it doesn't appear to have made much difference.

Oh well.

Jim Cannon
10-09-2009, 05:32 AM
well I've never received a reply to any email I've sent the club either lol

thefox
10-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Maybe the club have and he didn't want to play for us.

Maybe there is something in the "Fulham just do a straight medical part".

Maybe Palace don't think he is good enough. Loaned back to Sutton for a year doesn't make him sound anywhere good enough for the first team for many years or they would be looking to loan him to a championship club and just paid Sutton more.

Weren't we looking at one of their players - Dos Santos ? - s would have seen this kid ?

Celestial Empire
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
well I've never received a reply to any email I've sent the club either lol

Maybe you should send to Mick Jones, he seems a communicative/decent bloke.

Beanie
10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Fulham are more likely to be in a position to "take a flyer" on an extra player, and if he doesn't make it there they will probably recoup what they spend. Palace have to watch every penny and may feel they have players as good or better in the academy, so don't want to bring in another wage, however small, on a gamble.

kolinkins
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
We see many threads about players such as this one.

How many of them have gone on to have a decent career?

Ron Dogers
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
We see many threads about players such as this one.

How many of them have gone on to have a decent career?
Beckford, Matey at Posh, Dagenham Dave..............loads of ones who have failed also to be fair.

The blokes who are good at finding lower league or Scots fellas, Fergie Jr, Stimpson at Gills, Sir Steve in Ireland, Coyle, Jones seem to do ok and I prefer those types rather than journeymen.

kolinkins
10-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Beckford, Matey at Posh, Dagenham Dave..............loads of ones who have failed also to be fair.

None of them have done well at the level Palace are at.

The blokes who are good at finding lower league or Scots fellas, Fergie Jr, Stimpson at Gills, Sir Steve in Ireland, Coyle, Jones seem to do ok and I prefer those types rather than journeymen.

Again, a very small proportion.

Ron Dogers
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I think finance comes into it, buy a journeyman and you will probably have a depreciating asset as they are as good as they ever will be and often have their best days behind them, get someone hungry and you don't pay too much to get them or wages and you might make some money?

When did we last buy anyone we could make a profit on?

kolinkins
10-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Danns and Ambrose, off the top of my head

Ron Dogers
10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Do you think we would get more for Danns than we paid?

Ambrose has only been here a few weeks but of course looksa a sound buy...

Didn't we get him cheaply from a lower league club though?

sw16girl
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Ambrose was a freebie so hardly a buy. Danns - we will need to wait and see with him. We did make a profit on Dartford Dave though. Otherwise on players we actually bought and then sold for a profit it is diffiuclt to think of anyone after AJ - I am sure I will have missed some though.

As for non-league talent doing well this is an interesting story http://sportales.com/football/a-big-success-for-football-and-genuine-proof-that-talent-is-thrown-away/ although I am not sure that one player actually proves anything much - it does show that despite the scouting system a player may still get missed I suppose.

AJ's right boot
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I think finance comes into it, buy a journeyman and you will probably have a depreciating asset as they are as good as they ever will be and often have their best days behind them, get someone hungry and you don't pay too much to get them or wages and you might make some money?

When did we last buy anyone we could make a profit on?
Jose!! :lux: